Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Ruling Days

biakbiak
  • Start Topic

i'm enjoying the introduction of new characters (or deepening of characterization of those we've already met) and how they and their lives are all interweaving.

and am i the only one who so wanted jonah to catch that man invading their house and have him there to be interrogated by his parents?  

• Love 10

Did we ever see or hear about Jonah telling his parents the guy was in the house? It seemed like he just grabbed a coke and went on out to the car and never mentioned it, which is baffling.

• Love 12

Okay, someone help me out here.  Why did the heroin manufacturers say that they're safe as long as they're on the water?  Lake of the Ozarks is entirely within Missouri.  It's not like they're in international waters or something...plus, we know there are lake police from the first episode.  Ash was clearly horrified to hear that they are soon going to have a church on land.  Is this really about land vs. water?  (Because they did make a point of saying those words).  Or is it just because the floating congregation, each in their individual boats, makes it easier to get the drugs off the property that Ash is standing in and onto individual boat-owners' property?   Maybe this will be explained more in a later episode.

As far as the FBI agent's steamy saga goes, I'm assuming at this point he's building up a persona to get himself "in" with the locals.  I guess closeted Langmore patriarch is now compromised and will be actively working against Ruth/Marty.

• Love 9

I don't really know the legality there.  What bothered me was the idea that they somehow advertise to boaters that they're selling heroin at the church service.  Those bags of heroin in each bible looked huge, too.  And how were they collecting money from the buyers?  And if selling on the water is safe why bother with the bible charade and the church service cover?  Seems like the reverend is bound to find out and alert the authorities.  And since when are so many boaters into heroin?  Beer, sure.  I would think most boat owners over the age of 20 out there are outdoorsmen and family folks, not junkies.  

11 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't really know the legality there.  What bothered me was the idea that they somehow advertise to boaters that they're selling heroin at the church service.  Those bags of heroin in each bible looked huge, too.  And how were they collecting money from the buyers?  And if selling on the water is safe why bother with the bible charade and the church service cover?  Seems like the reverend is bound to find out and alert the authorities.  And since when are so many boaters into heroin?  Beer, sure.  I would think most boat owners over the age of 20 out there are outdoorsmen and family folks, not junkies.  

I thought that about the parishioners too, at first.  Then I realized it would make more sense if they are distributors rather than customers.  Thinking about this some more (more than I should, really), the lake is serpentine, so cutting across the lake gets you to another town a lot faster than if you had to drive around the lake.  The speedier trip makes for less exposure while the middleman is getting the product back to his or her turf.  I don't know if this is actually what the writers mean, but it works for me, for now.  (It would also have worked if they'd said the lake cops were bought off but the cop in town wasn't, or something like that, but the show has already established that the cop in town won't go after the drug kingpin, so that kills that idea).

• Love 10

Good idea.  If that was their aim I wish they'd made those specific boaters look a bit more like Tuco and less like suburban parents.

On 8/3/2017 at 5:59 AM, Misstify said:

I thought that about the parishioners too, at first.  Then I realized it would make more sense if they are distributors rather than customers.  Thinking about this some more (more than I should, really), the lake is serpentine, so cutting across the lake gets you to another town a lot faster than if you had to drive around the lake.  The speedier trip makes for less exposure while the middleman is getting the product back to his or her turf.  I don't know if this is actually what the writers mean, but it works for me, for now.  (It would also have worked if they'd said the lake cops were bought off but the cop in town wasn't, or something like that, but the show has already established that the cop in town won't go after the drug kingpin, so that kills that idea).

I also thought the boat parishioners were distributors rather than users. There is much easier access to the other towns along the river using boats. But I wondered if the preacher in on it. Is he not suspicious that the same parishioners are given a new bible each week?

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 3

I believe they were not bibles but hymn books. Those are generally property of the church. Parishoners get them before the start of the service and give them back after the service.

• Love 9

There were some bibles, but there were hymn books too. There were different colors. I didn't think "being on the water" meant some legal loophole, but just more flexibility in distribution. If you're going to a church, you can still do the same thing, but it's just more difficult.

That was a lot of heroin though, so I mean, how wide of a network is this?

• Love 3

I'm really enjoying the show but there are currently so many plot balls in the air, I'm glad I already know this show was renewed for another season. 

Heaven help me, I've actually been to The Lake of the Ozarks -- we lived in Missouri for four years from 2012 - mid 2016 -- and I went out there to help with a spay and neuter outreach for a rescue.  So at least I'm able to spot that it isn't the lake of the Ozarks but it looks so much like Missouri, it's actually been adding to the tension for me.   Production has really leaned in on the fact that Missouri has some serious corruption in some of the smaller police departments that do let these just freaking terrifying elements thrive.  Lake of the Ozarks is actually upscale scary, for the state, so I thought the clad-for-a-Sunday -in-the-midwest Heroin distributors was a good touch.  

But there's so much going on in the story that I'm a little concussed.   Thus far I feel like the sociopathic FBI agent is not one of the better elements.  I'm assuming the details about the shoot-up-a-highschool brother will become more apropos.  I've been assuming that the son, having watched all those freaking Cartel videos was so that he could prepare for some kind of scary assed home invasion.  Also, Cartel videos, that's a thing?!?   Also, if it is, please don't link me to any...Holy Hannah, hello chart-topper of 'things I will never willingly choose to watch' you now share space with any kind of slaughterhouse video...go you?  I didn't think it could be done.

One element that I like, one that separates this show from Breaking Bad for me is that both Bateman and Linney are playing people who are devoted and engaged parents.  Whatever caused the chill to descend in their own relationship, they have the most civil crumbling marriage ever and I love that whenever it involves their children, they move into a partners-in-parenting mode.     

Wendy and Marty are interesting to me in a way that Skyler and Walter from Breaking Bad weren't for me.   For whatever reason, there's a realism to the current state of their relationship.   They're very devoted, clearly born in suburbia parenting style and Marty's seemingly go-to decency in almost all things, I actually like both of them and have to constantly remind myself that this guy was laundering money for the Cartel.   It creates just the right amount of cognitive dissonance for me.  

Even as I was cheering on his no-more-sexploitation speech and the stripper's "Thanks, but I'll continue to make my own money making choices, jackass" reaction to his suburban savior routine, this is a guy who worked for people who are known for human trafficking.  It really intrigues me because his decency seems so freaking genuine and is in conflict with everything I know about him outside of that.  So he has me really intrigued from a character standpoint.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Applause 1
  • Love 17

I was liking the show, but this episode ruined it for me.  It was like the writers agreed to make every character have the most unrealistic thing happen to them.  I'm OK with a few out there moments, but if it is completely irrational what's the point.  

Marty -  completely trusts Ruth even though she wanted to kill him not that long ago.  And he puts Ruth in charge of the entire club even though his wife needs work.

Ruth - a 19yr old career criminal in charge becomes manager of a strip joint.  Even if she wasn't a criminal and hadn't already stolen from Marty she's only 19.

Daughter - chooses to hang out at a filthy trailer home with the redneck kid who threw her out a boat instead of enjoying a nice boatride with a hot guy and his cool friends.

Son - they fled CHI in 48hrs because of his father's criminal activity, his father has been punched in the face, sister thrown out of a boat, dead guy found at their pier . . . Yet when he suspects someone is in the house he tells no one.

Mom - ex-lovers son shows up because she's on his dad's FB even though they had a secret affair because she has a family.

Don't even get me started on the FBI agent.

I sure hope the writers give me a story line or plot twist that's believable soon.

• Applause 1
  • Love 8

Booger666, I thought the same thing about Wendy being on the dad's Facebook - it would have been more realistic if he said he found out about her some other way - like via his dad's texts/phone, something she left at the house - pretty much anything else.  

• Love 6
On 8/2/2017 at 9:45 AM, Misstify said:

As far as the FBI agent's steamy saga goes, I'm assuming at this point he's building up a persona to get himself "in" with the locals.  I guess closeted Langmore patriarch is now compromised and will be actively working against Ruth/Marty.

Are we supposed to believe that the FBI agent's seduction to Langmore was part of his long strategy? What would make him think that this homophobic redneck (or hillbilly--not sure which is the correct term here) was secretly gay? That part of the plot really strains believability, but I am finding the show compelling as long as I don't think too hard about the unrealistic stuff.

• Love 5
On 8/3/2017 at 8:59 AM, Misstify said:

On 8/3/2017 at 9:24 AM, Guest said:

Good idea.  If that was their aim I wish they'd made those specific boaters look a bit more like Tuco and less like suburban parents.

I thought it was obvious that the "parishioners" were distributors.  Being on the water means they have much more control handing out the hymnals - in a physical building you would just pick up the hymnal, no need for someone to go from person to person handing them out.  And yeah, the lake makes distribution quicker.

I'm glad the distributors look like suburban parents.  A bunch of Tuco-like characters would stand out and attract attention.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
On 8/11/2018 at 10:29 PM, Paloma said:

What would make him think that this homophobic redneck (or hillbilly--not sure which is the correct term here) was secretly gay?

Spoiler

Not sure if this is actually a spoiler but Langmore had a prior arrest for picking up a young guy for sex so that's how Petty figured out he was gay

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7
On 2017-09-28 at 3:43 PM, Booger666 said:

I was liking the show, but this episode ruined it for me.  It was like the writers agreed to make every character have the most unrealistic thing happen to them.  I'm OK with a few out there moments, but if it is completely irrational what's the point.  

Marty -  completely trusts Ruth even though she wanted to kill him not that long ago.  And he puts Ruth in charge of the entire club even though his wife needs work.

Ruth - a 19yr old career criminal in charge becomes manager of a strip joint.  Even if she wasn't a criminal and hadn't already stolen from Marty she's only 19.

Daughter - chooses to hang out at a filthy trailer home with the redneck kid who threw her out a boat instead of enjoying a nice boatride with a hot guy and his cool friends.

Son - they fled CHI in 48hrs because of his father's criminal activity, his father has been punched in the face, sister thrown out of a boat, dead guy found at their pier . . . Yet when he suspects someone is in the house he tells no one.

Mom - ex-lovers son shows up because she's on his dad's FB even though they had a secret affair because she has a family.

Don't even get me started on the FBI agent.

I sure hope the writers give me a story line or plot twist that's believable soon.

I still liked this episode but I agree with some of your points. When it comes to Charlotte, I think she is attracted to redneck kid because: 1) He looks an AWFUL lot like a younger version of Matthew Gray Gubler (Criminal Minds), 2) he is extremely literate and interesting, despite looking awfully dirty. I don't think Rich Boy looks like he has cool friends. He looks like the type that would get the girl drunk, sexually assault and then post the photos online. Probably has more to do with recent news stories and my dislike of most wealthy people but possibly, he just came across as smarmy to Charlotte.

I have NO IDEA why Marty would trust Ruth. She may be very knowledgeable about the local crime scene but she is loyal to no-one but herself, she has anger management problems, and I think her youth would be held against her when it came to dealing with anyone other than the strippers. Wife would be a better choice but I don't think she would agree to work there, she has higher aspirations. I do have a harder name remembering her name - had to look it up online. Laura Linney is a fantastic actress but I think it is very clear that this is Jason Bateman's show. (Probably something to do with also writing, directing and producing it). I also love the chemistry between Marty and Rachel. I don't know if that's intentional in the plot or just that Jason and Jordana have a special something. I definitely enjoy watching them together.

Jonah is a bit of a strange kid, no doubt. At this point, I don't know his motivation unless he feels his family isn't up to the task of keeping them safe and he believes his new skills with his illicit shotgun will be their secret weapon. I am wondering if the old guy in the basement is aware that he has it. I find it hard to believe that he gave it to Jonah to practice but still...he seems pretty sharp. I can't imagine that he didn't notice or didn't want to confront the kid.

Well, Wendy's photos were on his Facebook, not hers. He was clearly smitten with her. The chances that her family would come across his Facebook page (especially if the setting is private, and that's what I expect from a lawyer), are small. It would be different if he was married. Still, we don't know how Marty figured out that she was having an affair. Unless she made the mistake of putting sexy lingerie on a credit card bill that Marty paid.

The FBI agent is strange but kind of fascinating. I am liking the show so far but not instantly hooked, like I was with Breaking Bad.

1 hour ago, PrePreBabylonia said:

His wife work in a strip club? Thats not for his wife or his family for that matter, his family is too good for that! Thats Marty's upper middle class snobbery shining thru.

This goes toward the all around internal prejudice against the Langmores and the poor. Why can't Ruth run a strip joint? From the moment of her introduction, she's been portrayed as smart as hell and the pity of Ruth is that if she was born into a family with a smidge of money and decency, she'd be encouraged to try for a better life. Worse, she knows it, and wants that better life for Wyatt. 

*btw I don't think these quotes are from preprebabylonia, the quoting function is being weird.

Well, Wendy's photos were on his Facebook, not hers. He was clearly smitten with her. The chances that her family would come across his Facebook page (especially if the setting is private, and that's what I expect from a lawyer), are small. It would be different if he was married. Still, we don't know how Marty figured out that she was having an affair. Unless she made the mistake of putting sexy lingerie on a credit card bill that Marty paid.

Honestly this, and the fact that the lover was murdered essentially in front of her is why I don't buy the family routine as it developed for Wendy. Her best option was ALWAYS to go to the FBI.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Half way through season one and enjoying it so far, but what bugged me about this episode is it would seem simple to just find a new lake based preacher if the current one moves to a church on land.  I know they are doing this to make it an epic struggle between the new drug lord money launderer in the area and the old ones that live there, but seriously, that's the simple solution. 

"Well I'm sorry to hear you will be moving to a new church, but I think its best we part ways and continue with the current boat based church.  Good luck to you"

I know, no drama in that

• Love 2
On 9/19/2018 at 9:54 AM, PrePreBabylonia said:

He hired a private detective. In one of the early episodes the PI was briefing Marty on the logistics. 

The FB angle is very unbelievable, and especially because he is a lawyer. That’s just sloppy. 

• Love 1
On 2018-09-19 at 11:16 AM, Rap541 said:

His wife work in a strip club? Thats not for his wife or his family for that matter, his family is too good for that! Thats Marty's upper middle class snobbery shining thru.

This goes toward the all around internal prejudice against the Langmores and the poor. Why can't Ruth run a strip joint? From the moment of her introduction, she's been portrayed as smart as hell and the pity of Ruth is that if she was born into a family with a smidge of money and decency, she'd be encouraged to try for a better life. Worse, she knows it, and wants that better life for Wyatt. 

*btw I don't think these quotes are from preprebabylonia, the quoting function is being weird.

Honestly this, and the fact that the lover was murdered essentially in front of her is why I don't buy the family routine as it developed for Wendy. Her best option was ALWAYS to go to the FBI.

You are absolutely right, the quote was from booger6666 (!) Weird techno issues on PreviouslyTV. Yeah, that was completely strange. Some plotpoints just don't make sense.

On 2018-10-01 at 5:46 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Half way through season one and enjoying it so far, but what bugged me about this episode is it would seem simple to just find a new lake based preacher if the current one moves to a church on land.  I know they are doing this to make it an epic struggle between the new drug lord money launderer in the area and the old ones that live there, but seriously, that's the simple solution. 

"Well I'm sorry to hear you will be moving to a new church, but I think its best we part ways and continue with the current boat based church.  Good luck to you"

I know, no drama in that

That really is a better solution, can't be that difficult to find a corrupt preacher in the States, right? I hadn't thought of that before. Gifted writers should be able to create problems and creatively write their way out of them, not just throw in the simplest most implausible solution.

On 2018-11-21 at 7:24 AM, halleygee said:

He hired a private detective. In one of the early episodes the PI was briefing Marty on the logistics. 

The FB angle is very unbelievable, and especially because he is a lawyer. That’s just sloppy. 

I am aware of that, but most people don't hire a private detective to spy on their wife unless something triggered their suspicions in the first place. Especially since Marty comes across as fairly frugal.

• Love 1

Just started watching Ozark.  Late to the party, and probably no one will read this, but putting Ruth in charge of the strip bar is like putting the fox in charge of the hen house.  Who's to say she won't pocket some of the money brought in nightly, in addition to her $1000/week salary?  Especially after seeing the stacks of money that Marty took out of there.  I can't believe Marty would trust her while knowing that he can't.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 4/18/2019 at 11:52 AM, roughing it said:

Just started watching Ozark.  Late to the party, and probably no one will read this, but putting Ruth in charge of the strip bar is like putting the fox in charge of the hen house.  Who's to say she won't pocket some of the money brought in nightly, in addition to her $1000/week salary?  Especially after seeing the stacks of money that Marty took out of there.  I can't believe Marty would trust her while knowing that he can't.

Another late comer. Who cares if Ruth skims from the skim , to take a term from  Dennis Quaid's Vegas five years ago ,at this point? He has no allies, no back up besides the cartel name. I would assume later down the line she will take too much

But being in lockdown as I started watching with churches told to close shop by governments the boat up church did stick out

• Love 2

I'm just really going to need Wyatt to wash his hair...

Oh great, now Ruth knows where Marty's hiding his money.  🙄

Marty is very savvy about certain things, but very naive about others.  Like, not understanding how the strippers actually make their money, and thinking by keeping Ruth close he can control her.  And also not thinking through that whoever launders money through Bobby might be as or almost as dangerous as Del -- although perhaps Marty is just rushing because he needs more ways to clean money before Del kills them all.

I can't get into the FBI agent at all.  The fact that he took the time to print, then cut out pictures and make an investigation vision board for his motel room .... 🙄🙄.    Like ... where is he planning to hide that when they come through to clean his room??  I swear, that has to be just a movie and TV thing, that cops and agents can't think about a criminal investigation unless they diagram it all up on a wall to stare at.  

Also, why can't he find an appropriate lover?  His partner, now someone he's supposed to be investigating ... the partner ex-boyfriend was at least cute and nice.  

So that kid is just not gonna tell his parents somebody might've been in the house?  🙄🙄🙄

• Like 1
  • Applause 1