Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: The Lord's Prayer

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Nope, sorry, still hate Floki. I don't think I'll be happy unless he dies by Athelstan's hand.

Bjorn and Thorunn have no chemistry.

Lagertha is made of awesome. But we all knew that. I wish she could be queen instead of Smirky McSmirkerson getting all the glory. God, I hate Ragnar.

Edited by Gumdrops
  • Love 4
(edited)

Bjorn and Thorunn have no chemistry.

I agree. All the petting and heavy panting during their sexy time couldn't conceal the lack of heat between those two. Bjorn has a fantastic body though. I really hope Floki had the decency to turn away as they did it.

As many suspected, Floki was working with Ragnar to get rid of King Horik. I feel bad for little Ubbe. Poor little guy thinks he was responsible for "killing" Torstein and has been scared shitless to never tell he's the one who gave Torstein the poisoned mushrooms. I think he's too young to understand what the plan was and why Torstein is suddenly back from the dead. Good going, Ragnar!

Thank the Gods Athelstan was not harmed. And he even got in on the action and some good ol' killing. I loved his praying scene with Ragnar. I admire that Ragnar is open minded about Christianity and understands it's difficult for Athelstan to let it go.

This episode left me with many questions:

Was the woman at the end who suited up Horik's wife? What happened in the room full of girls that Bjorn walked in to? Some of those girls were dead and who killed them?

How exactly did that root/mushroom that Floki gave to Rollo work? Did Floki give it to Rollo first to make sure it worked before giving it to Torstein?

Where exactly was Ragnar sitting in the last shot of the episode? 

How am I supposed to survive a year without my Vikings fix?

Edited by bunnyblue
Were those Ragnar's dead children Bjorn found. I am confused.

Pretty sure they were Horik's.  Not sure who killed them but I'm gonna have to watch that sequence again carefully anyway - seemed to me that a couple of Ragnar's guys got clipped by Horik's men just to make Horik think things were going to plan.  That was pretty cold of Ragnar.

I thoroughly enjoyed that - seems to me they're really hitting their stride this season.  That last shot was pretty awesome.  

That was very enjoyable and intense. I really thought Floki was on Horik's team, and I really thought he killed Thorstein -- partly just because he had some lines. Possibly about as many lines as Ragnar.

Horik, your inability to lead with Ragnar ended up getting your whole family killed. If they killed his young daughters I can't imagine they'd let his warrior son live. He was somewhat wiley and a pretty good manipulator, but in the end of limited vision. I'm not sorry to see him go.

So is Ragnar the King now, is that what the last scene meant?

He's king if he can manage to hold onto it. The sharks will be circling. Ruling a kingdom not the same as running a small village. Or a farm. 

Athelstan didn't die, which was my main concern. But I hope he sticks his fist down the throat of the next man to call him a traitor. He was crucified for being with Ragnar; he didn't betray anyone. I don't understand why the writers keep have him swallowing the accusation/insult instead of defending himself at least verbally.

I was disappointed Ragnar had Horik's daughters murdered, but not surprised. He has his own morality, that's been amply demonstrated, but he's ruthless too.

A decent finale, will have more thoughts when I watch it again.

(edited)

About the dead children.  They were definitely Horik's.  Lagertha was making a move to them after she killed Horik's wife like she was about to off them.  Then generic Viking dude arrives to say it was Ragnar's orders not to kill them so she turns and exits.  Then generic Viking dude gives the offspring a rather chilling look and looks like he squares around about to enter the room.  Cut to next scene.  So my guess is generic Viking dude killed them but the "orders from Ragnar" is confusing.  Was that Ragnar's way to save Lagertha from killing children?  Or was the orders thing made up by generic Viking dude?  Or what?  Confusing for sure.  Especially since the most dangerous offspring is the eldest son who looks like he was spared.  So why would Ragnar spare him and have the young children killed? 

Also interesting that Bjorn saves one of the daughters.  Wonder if down the years she will be a earl or perhaps a future wife of someone, maybe even Bjorn?  This is the second time we have seen Bjorn show mercy to someone.  The first time was giving some food to Jarl Borg in the hut/cell.

Interesting it ended with more questions then answers regards Floki and Siggy.  Guess it leaves it to the audience to come to their own conclusions.  Mine remains that Floki is estranged towards Ragnar's more visionary path and that he for real still hates Athelstan but he could only go along with Horik so far.  The scene before they sailed off to their last raid where he was lying in the grass with Helga was interesting.  When I re-saw it during the Vikings marathon a few days ago I caught more of what he said.  He was telling her he chose to sail with Horik but didn't know why.  Also that Horik knew the dark gods better then Ragnar did.  And seemed to suggest the dark gods always interested him (Floki).  (This episode he names his daughter after a giantess that Helga views as evil but that Floki admires).

It seems like Floki is Athelstan's counterpart where he has divided loyalties between various gods pulling at him.  With Floki's it is Team Norse all the way but some of the gods are "dark" whatever that means.  Evil like Helga alluded too?  Don't know.  But both men seem to go through real and not some fake angst about these things.  Thus he was divided between Horik and Ragnar but his friendship and loyalty kicked in finally.  Both to Ragnar and the less dark gods maybe? 

When is the question that is debatable.  Maybe Ragnar accusing him about "trustworthiness" when they rode to see Ecbert pushed him firmly back onto Ragnar's side.  I always assumed there was a very good chance he would stay loyal to Ragnar vs Horik but I still don't buy they had this whole thing planned for a couple of years.  Floki is just too unpredictable even to himself.  He had to come to believe the gods wanted him to remain loyal.  Which means it is a very good thing he didn't hear Ragnar learning the Lord's Prayer from Athelstan.

Siggy's agenda is even more mysterious.  I wish we could have seen more of it.  Was killing the children too far for her to go?  Or did she decide to stick with Ragnar earlier?   Was she working to entrap Horik or did she see his path of mass destruction too dangerous for her to buy into at the last minute.  She tells Rollo she is staying with him because he still might prove useful to her.  More useful then Horik's danger filled gamble maybe?  Again, like Floki, it seems it is left to us to decide.

And I like that.  I like a show to leave a mystery or two that we can all project our opinions onto.

I would like to thank all with the show from creator/writer/director to filming and editing to the brilliant actors to the music composer for two awesome seasons so far.  It will be way too long a wait until 2015.  And also thank you for NOT leaving us with some annoying and contrived cliffhanger.

Edited by green
  • Love 4
(edited)

Ragnar really knows how to cut a bitch.  

Speaking of bitches, Floki is one for scaring the bejesus out of that poor little boy.  I'm glad Thorstein is alive, although I'm not sure why Floki fed the mushrooms to Rollo.  The one redeeming thing he did was send his Helga and baby away from the danger.  I wonder if she'll be back next season.

I agree that Bjorn and Thorunn have zero chemistry.  For some reason, I just don't like the girl and I think it's because she insisted on having that stupid "fight."  Also, shallow as it is, she's not that pretty.  I hope Bjorn can get over her but he's probably going to marry her.  I hope not though.

I had a feeling that Lagertha and Horik's wife would meet up later on after they sized each other up and complimented each other. 

Can't wait until 2015!

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

About the dead children.  They were definitely Horik's.  Lagertha was making a move to them after she killed Horik's wife like she was about to off them. 

(snipped for space)

Siggy's agenda is even more mysterious.  I wish we could have seen more of it.  Was killing the children too far for her to go?  Or did she decide to stick with Ragnar earlier?   Was she working to entrap Horik or did she see his path of mass destruction too dangerous for her to buy into at the last minute.  She tells Rollo she is staying with him because he still might prove useful to her.  More useful then Horik's danger filled gamble maybe?  Again, like Floki, it seems it is left to us to decide.

Definitely those were Horik's brood; to me, it looked like they slew the males, and Bjern told the grieving sisters to get out. As for Floki and Siggy...I actually think the whole thing was one long con. It may have begun with Siggy's trip to the Seer. "I want my old position back." Perhaps the Seer passes along the info that Siggy's ripe for turning her cloak; Floki starts distancing himself from Ragnar and stages that "trustworthy" tiff for Horik's benefit. For all intents and purposes, Siggy's Ragnar's sister in law right now; it's a pretty strong position to be in. She's also been nursemaid to his children; that's a pretty close  bond to the family. Trade that, for second-wife status to a man who already has half a dozen heirs? When it's already clear that Ragnar is the up-and-coming power in the region, and she's set to benefit from that? (Assuming Rollo recovers, that is. Siggy's got a better shot at a good future married to him, than cowtowing to Horik's primary queen and broodmare.)

Speaking of bitches, Floki is one for scaring the bejesus out of that poor little boy.  I'm glad Thorstein is alive, although I'm not sure why Floki fed the mushrooms to Rollo. 

Floki hasn't much liked Rollo since his baptism and betrayal... and he needed a test subject to see if the mushrooms would work. Why not try them on a dying man?

• Useful 1

Were those Horik's daughters that Bjorn told to get out? I guess I assumed that they were the family's personal servants.

This is my take too. All Horik's children were killed, male & female. With the females we saw being slaves/servants.

I do believe Lagertha was ready to slaughter the children herself. As I've said before, don't mess with her baby Bjorn but the random viking told her about Ragnar & the plan or needing to be somewhere. I will be pay closer attention on rewatch.

Job well done by the showrunners. I know there was speculation about Floki & Ragnar working together but they gave absolutely nothing away with the writing, direction or acting. I didn't see Siggy's part in this coming at all. Everything coming together at the end had my brain trying to click everything into place.

Horik was arrogant & stupid. He's children should never have been brought there if he was planning on attacking. I wanted to stab him when he was asking Ragnar to spare his son when he wasn't going to do that for Ragnar's children.

I can't believe I have to wait until 2015 for this show to return. What am I going to do without my Viking fix.

Also, a big thanks to all that recommended Roma.

• Love 4

I had to watch this twice. Once with the subtitles on. It was confusing in parts but this is what I got from watching it twice.  The mushrooms Floki gave Rollo and Thorstein made them go into a deep sleep. The No-Name Viking told Lagertha, Ragnor said she was to leave. I thought this was because he either didn't want her to stop the killing of the boys or didn't want her to kill them. No-name killed the sons of King Horik. Bjorn let the daughters go.  

I love this show so much. I don't like Thorrun. I didn't get that whole bit.

• Love 1

I think Ragnar, Floki, and Siggy were playing to long con too.  I recently rewatched the episode where Rollo gets sent to talk to Jarl Bjorn after Horik came to visit and it looks like Ragnar gave her a little nod as she was walking away from the boat.  There's going to have to be a whole season rewatch of this to try can catch little clues.

I didn't get the impression that Lagertha was going to kill the kids at first but I think I'm going to have to change my opinion. She would totally go all Mama Viking on their ass. I do think that it was the generic Viking's assignment to do the slaughter though.  Interesting that he left the servants alive...or that none of them tried to protect the kids.

Interesting little tidbit since I like to watch documentaries.  On Netflix there's a documentary called Secrets of the Viking Sword about the Ulfberht sword.  I'll have to go back and watch to make sure but I'm pretty sure that was what they used for the "Sword of Kings".  It wasn't the sword of kings in the documentary.  It was a sword that was made of crucible steel. It was the best of the best. I think they called it the Rolls Royce of swords  I haven't looked into it other than watching the documentary before I even started watching the series (must be fate) but it's sword that was for elite warriors.  There was even copycat versions that weren't as good.  They don't even know why Ulfberht was inlayed in it. No real point to this other it made me sit up and say "Hey, I think I know that sword from somewhere" and I think it was an interesting connection.  Guess the writers saw the documentary too.

• Love 3
(edited)

Horik's daughters were spared - I think one of them will end up marrying Bjorn later. That will fulfill the Seer's prediction that he will marry a princess. He is not farted by the gods to be with homely Thorunn. Team Seer!

ETA: I thought it was such a powerful moment when Siggy handed the knife Ragnar so that he could kill Horik. SIde note - Siggy looked especially beautiful in this episode. 

Edited by PityFree

Even though I suspected Floki was working for Ragnar, I was still terrified I was wrong half-way through the episode.  And I did not see Siggy's double-cross coming. (I wonder if Rollo knew that her sleeping with Horik was part of the plan?)  Yay!  Ragnar was in control the entire time.  I knew he couldn't be that stupid.  

I'm still not sure who was left alive.  Surely, Ragnar would NOT leave Horik's son alive?  That would definitely come back to bite him in the future.  When Horik asked him to spare his son, I wanted him to spit "Like you were going to spare mine?" and kill the kid right in front of him.  (VIkings makes me bloodthirsty!)

• Love 2
(edited)

I just looked at that scene again on the HD version of the episode and some of the dead children in that room are definitely little girls. I believe it was the family servants who were spared.

I  had the feeling that Siggy was playing both sides right up until Horik asked her to murder Ragnar's children. Siggy is slippery, not a monster. She helped bring some of those children into the world. And, let us not forget, her own sons were brutally murdered and her daughter died painfully from plague. If Horik had asked her anything else, she might have gone for it. Also - Horik asking her to do it secretly instead of doing it himself openly, victorious after battle, I think that gave her his true measure. She would undoubtedly have followed the babies into the grave. As it stands, Rollo is still alive, and with Ragnar elevated, she has every opportunity of rising with Rollo or getting some other reward for helping protect Ragnar's family.

Edited by heyerchick
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Can it be true that you don't concuss yourself when headbutting a foe? I do not understand this!!! Besides that, if your killing instrument is your own damn head, you don't get to watch your enemy die! So much better to use your mitts or a blade, right? Argh.

"I killed my husband when he invaded me." You, Earl Lagertha, are The. Best. Earl. Ever.

Gustaf Skarsgard does such a good job with Floki. I love his singsongy line delivery, his elfin leaping about, his wide-eyed wonder at the world.

I think Ragnar and Athelstan wanted to make out after the prayer. A-men!

• Love 6
(edited)

According to an interview Michael Hirst gave to Entertainment Weekly, it was Travis Fimmel's idea to have The Lord's Prayer be the only dialogue that Ragnar says in the entire episode. My admiration for Mr. Fimmel grows with every episode he's in.

And I want to thank them for not ending the season with a cliffhanger, I am so tired of that overused device. If you have a show as amazing as Vikings, you don't need tricks to make sure people tune back in the next season.

Can't wait for David's recap.

Edited by duckyone
  • Love 2

I, too, thought it was only the little boys of Horik's that were killed, and that Bjorn let the sisters go.  But the screen was so dark it was hard to tell, as we didn't see much of the children when they were alive.  At least their mama was already dead before they were killed, so she didn't have to see that.  Wonder if we'll see what happened to eldest boy next year.

I was soooooo hoping that Floki and Siggy were playing a long con with Ragnar.  Looks like Floki, at least, was.  Still not sure what Siggy's game really is, except that I know she wants to come out at the top.  Loved Lagertha's "I killed him when he invaded me" - you go, sister woman!  Thorunn has issues, it seems - run, Bjorn, run!  Find someone who has their act together already.  Someone who doesn't want to have physical fights all the time - that will just make you remember your parents' marriage and how you had to scold them all the time to stop trying to kill each other!

• Love 1

it was Travis Fimmel's idea to have The Lord's Prayer be the only dialogue that Ragnar says in the entire episode.

I'm going to have watch this again, because I didn't realize Ragnar had no other dialogue besides reciting the prayer. That's awesome.

PITYFREE, ON 02 MAY 2014 - 06:14 AM, SAID:

He is not farted by the gods to be with homely Thorunn.

Please don't correct this.

I second the  motion. I laughed heartily when I initially read it. I thought it was intentional on your part because it does weirdly make sense.

• Love 2
(edited)

PITYFREE, ON 02 MAY 2014 - 07:14 AM, SAID:

He is not farted by the gods to be with homely Thorunn.

Please don't correct this.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what I get for waiting to have coffee until after I posted. *hangs head*

(Can't figure out the quote function sometimes.)

Edited by PityFree
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

only dialogue that Ragnar says in the entire episode.

Well, he has the dialogue with A-stan about wanting to learn a prayer prior to the prayer, but yeah. Actions speak louder elsewise.

"  On Netflix there's a documentary called Secrets of the Viking Sword about the Ulfberht sword.  I'll have to go back and watch to make sure but I'm pretty sure that was what they used for the "Sword of Kings".  It wasn't the sword of kings in the documentary.  It was a sword that was made of crucible steel. It was the best of the best. I think they called it the Rolls Royce of swords  I haven't looked into it other than watching the documentary before I even started watching the series (must be fate) but it's sword that was for elite warriors.  There was even copycat versions that weren't as good.  They don't even know why Ulfberht was inlayed in it. No real point to this other it made me sit up and say "Hey, I think I know that sword from somewhere" and I think it was an interesting connection.  Guess the writers saw the documentary too."

When that sword came up on screen, I was pausing the recording and squinting like mad, trying to make out the writing down the middle. I couldn't read it, and didn't see the characteristic cross in the words- but yeah, it reminded me of an Ulfberht, definitely. Love that they put in these little historic details.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what I get for waiting to have coffee until after I posted. *hangs head*

I know only that I was farted by the gods to learn a new meme today.  I thank thee.

When that sword came up on screen, I was pausing the recording and squinting like mad, trying to make out the writing down the middle. I couldn't read it

I couldn't read it either but I don't think it said 'Ulfberht'.  Oh, and it's the 'Ulfberht+' that you want to see to guarantee it was the real deal - the fakes lacked the +, I believe.  It's about the right time period though, or at just the beginning of it if this is the early 800s we're seeing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Michael Hirst interview:

Did Horik's son die?
No, Ragnar saves him.
Did a couple of Horik's daughters live?
No. [Ragnar's warriors] killed all of Horik's family except his son Erlendur [Edvin Endre]. The women who survived were the slaves. They killed the daughters.
But Horik’s son did get away.
Yeah. Ragnar reprieved him. I don’t know whether it’s still in [the U.S. edition of] the show. There is an American version of "Vikings," and then there is a European/world version, which is longer and has other scenes in it. Anyway, Erlendur has been impressed by the idea of going to farm in England. And in his pocket he has a handful of mud, earth from England. When Ragnar sees him with this handful of dirt, he knows that he’s thinking along the same lines, that they’re connected in some way. So he spares him. But, of course, that turns out to be a terrible decision in the end.

http://kata01.tumblr...ut-scene-s02e09

These explain so much.

http://kata01.tumblr...e-s02e09-ragnar

http://starrose17.tumblr.com/post/84487203164/vikings-cut-scene-episode-10-ragnar-finally

https://24.media.tumblr.com/fb080a8c242fe7db599fd6f21f18d36c/tumblr_n4xcbiosbP1qj06c7o2_500.png

Kimmel/Ragnar looks like the cat that ate the canary.

As a citizen of the the USA I demand that we get to see the whole freaking show. I will watch an hour & fifteen minute show in order to not miss these types of scenes. Seriously, thou they do the same thing with Canadian shows. My good friends to the north will usually post those missed minutes for us deprived US citizens

I should be working but I'm happy I've discovered these things prior to my re-watch tonight.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 8

Also, I loved crafty Ragnar playing drunk at the feast.  Horik fell for it hook, line, and sinker.   

Speaking of the feast, I was laughing at them getting down to the music.  I was waiting for someone to yell "Wave your hands in the air!  Wave 'em like you just don't care!"

• Love 1

When Ragnar sees him with this handful of dirt, he knows that he’s thinking along the same lines, that they’re connected in some way. So he spares him.

Argh, ok now I'm mad that we don't see this. Previously, it seemed like the cut stuff was just extra nudity or more lingering shots of the same things (which, I did still want to see, just to be a completist, but whatever, they have to cut things for American TV). This is actually important!

• Love 3

Argh, ok now I'm mad that we don't see this. Previously, it seemed like the cut stuff was just extra nudity or more lingering shots of the same things (which, I did still want to see, just to be a completist, but whatever, they have to cut things for American TV). This is actually important!

Exactly. Ragnor hitting on Lagertha is important. Ragnor finally getting his threesome with Lagertha & Aslaug is important. I'm hoping these extra minutes from each episode are in the DVDs because I need to see this world version.

• Love 2

http://starrose17.tu...-ragnar-finally

https://24.media.tum...j06c7o2_500.png

Kimmel/Ragnar looks like the cat that ate the canary.

OMG, Ragnar you dirty dog; he finally got his threesome. He looks so pleased with himself.

It is pissing me off, though, that US airings are missing vital scenes. Maybe the threesome isn't vital, but last week's Athelstan/Rollo scene seemed important. And the Ragnar/Horik's son scene certainly explains the fate of the boy. Thanks everyone for bringing the links over so we can watch 'em.

• Love 2

I don't know why I'm disappointed that Lagertha granted Ragnar's wish for a threesome, but I am.  I mean, I understand that she still loves him and is a willing participant, but damn.  I wanted her to have a fling with some big, gorgeous Viking who treated her like a queen and fucked her loopy, just to make Ragnar sick with jealousy.  He deserves that.

• Love 9

I don't know why I'm disappointed that Lagertha granted Ragnar's wish for a threesome, but I am.  I mean, I understand that she still loves him and is a willing participant, but damn.  I wanted her to have a fling with some big, gorgeous Viking who treated her like a queen and fucked her loopy, just to make Ragnar sick with jealousy.  He deserves that.

It disappoints me too. It just annoys me on an irrational level that Ragnar always gets what he wants.

I guess what I really wanted was for Ragnar to keep chasing after Lagertha and for her to keep blowing him off because she knows she's too damn amazing for him.

• Love 6