Type keyword(s) to search

NBC is ruining this show

• Start Topic

NBC has to stop allowing race car drivers to compete.  Just because they can drive very fast with precision doesn't mean they can complete the ANW obstacles.   Stop allowing contestants who are fighting a life threatening illness to compete.   Viewers sympathize with their plight but they are not qualified to compete in ANW.  Show the complete runs of those contestants who finish the course instead of devoting so much air time on the backstories.  I don't watch the backstories, just the runs..  

• Love 6
(edited)

Some of the Back stories are interesting.   I liked the one with the guy who made the wing nut.     Plus the geriatric ninja guy and the one with the grandpa who proposed to  his girlfriend. Neither strictly made it to the buzzer but both were from last year and I found them entertaining.  Plus I really liked the back story of the makeup artist woman who didn't hit a buzzer either but made it to finals.

NBC does need to find a middle ground for the good runs and back stories.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

One of the things that made the Japanese version hilarious is they'd have the most ridiculous people think they can do it and fail.  I don't want the sob stories and watching them fail, that just makes me sad.  I want to see an overconfident guy in a ridiculous outfit.  Entertain me! Stop making me depressed!

• Love 8

I'm kind of the opposite.  I don't want to see ridiculous people fail.  I think my favorite run is still the one leg wrestler (from last year?) who did a whole lot better then expected and I loved watching the geriatric ninja.  Plus the guy who made it to the buzzer and then proposed to the buzzer was hilarious.

These are the kind of runs that make the show for me.   

• Love 4

Enough with the back stories!  Some of them are so pointless.  I do like some of them but they are taking away from the course runs.  Its ridiculous we don't see finishers at the expense of too long stories.  Geriatric guy is fun, but they did his package last year and why again this year? He's not going to go any further. And too too much on everyone training kids. I want to see them run the course! I don't care about a guy proposing.  Seriously?  Not like they are even a known Ninja couple. Stuff the fluff! That includes racecar drivers  OK rant over.         

• Love 5
2 hours ago, blueiris said:

Enough with the back stories!  Some of them are so pointless.  I do like some of them but they are taking away from the course runs.  Its ridiculous we don't see finishers at the expense of too long stories.  Geriatric guy is fun, but they did his package last year and why again this year? He's not going to go any further. And too too much on everyone training kids. I want to see them run the course! I don't care about a guy proposing.  Seriously?  Not like they are even a known Ninja couple. Stuff the fluff! That includes racecar drivers  OK rant over.         

Fast forward is my best friend watching this show. I can get it done in like 40 minutes. 

• Love 6

If the show was just a series of Drews killing the course it wouldn't have the broad appeal it needs to stay on the air. I think NBC is doing a pretty good job of offering something for everyone over the two hours.

• Love 7

I get frustrated with the backstories and 'special interest' contestants but I think we're stuck with them.  And to be honest if they only ran the people who were best at it, I think it'd be a whole different show and kind of dull.  It just wish it skewed slightly more that way. 

And for those of use who watch it streaming on Hulu, the 'while we were away' stuff is doubly ridiculous.  Yeah, in that 3 seconds of intro/outro cuts you ran 4 contestants.  Not that it's live even on NBC.  It makes you wonder if they think we're morons.  

I don't notice many Nascar drivers but I may have missed some.  I figured this Kennedy guy only got a chance to run because his family built and owned that track where the course was and they maybe asked for it.  I could tell he'd suck and he did.  He was huffing and puffing after just the steps.  That kind of made me mad, but maybe he's a star to some.  I don't follow Nascar at all, ever.  

1 hour ago, derriere said:

If the show was just a series of Drews killing the course it wouldn't have the broad appeal it needs to stay on the air. I think NBC is doing a pretty good job of offering something for everyone over the two hours.

I tend to agree. If everyone beat the course all the time it would seem fake.   I like underdog stories.  Those succeeding against all odds.  But I also like the crash a burns.    From what I understand the actual competition is like four of five hours.  They need to condense it  to like two hours,  

11 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

And for those of use who watch it streaming on Hulu, the 'while we were away' stuff is doubly ridiculous.  Yeah, in that 3 seconds of intro/outro cuts you ran 4 contestants.  Not that it's live even on NBC.  It makes you wonder if they think we're morons.  

I get why NBC can only run a certain amount of time.  I would think that for streaming they would/should have all the runs available.  It would make sense anyway.  

• Love 2

One of the things that made the Japanese version hilarious is they'd have the most ridiculous people think they can do it and fail.  I don't want the sob stories and watching them fail, that just makes me sad.  I want to see an overconfident guy in a ridiculous outfit.  Entertain me! Stop making me depressed!

NOOOOOOO!!!  Then we'll end up with the William "She Bangs" Hung of American Idol fame!!!!! 

I don't mind the back stories as long as they're not TOO LONG.  And one that was really dumb was the single guy with the GIRLFRIEND with two boys and how the boys call him "daddy."  Uh, honey, if he didn't bring a ring, it don't mean a thing ... 

• Love 3
On 6/28/2017 at 0:17 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

NOOOOOOO!!!  Then we'll end up with the William "She Bangs" Hung of American Idol fame!!!!! 

I don't mind the back stories as long as they're not TOO LONG.  And one that was really dumb was the single guy with the GIRLFRIEND with two boys and how the boys call him "daddy."  Uh, honey, if he didn't bring a ring, it don't mean a thing ... 

I hear ya.  I just hate the sad stories and seeing people fail.  I'd rather laugh at some douchebag, who is convinced he's a ninja, fail on the first obstacle.

• Love 1

I agree that NBC is ruining the show, but for me, it's not the "sob stories." Some of them I like, and I'm touched by them. I can't stand Matt and Akbar -- I hate their screeching and their shouting and the ridiculous bullshit that comes out of their mouths. I hated the deification of Kasey, since she failed in almost every other attempt she made, unlike Jessie or Megan, who are consistently good performers. To a lesser degree, I hate when they pick their favorites for the season and we're inundated with those athletes to the detriment of other contestants. I want to see more complete runs, not just snippets.

I also think that two hours every week for eight weeks or so is too long a time too bunched together. 

On 6/27/2017 at 6:20 PM, Eliza422 said:

Fast forward is my best friend watching this show. I can get it done in like 40 minutes. 

Tonight, accidentally I started watching it when it began.  About ten minutes in I realized I'd made a major mistake.  So I went and washed the dishes, combed and petted three of four cats, vacuumed the TV room.  Then I came back to where I had left off and happily fast forwarded my way through the large amount of filler that is fluff to me. 

On 6/28/2017 at 1:16 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Not that it's live even on NBC.  It makes you wonder if they think we're morons.  

Since it's the beginning of July, and hot and humid with threats of major thunderstorms to the north of Cleveland tonight, The long sleeved puffy winter jackets were supposed to be overlooked? as excentric?   But I'd love to hear the explanation of the frozen breath (smoking is not an acceptable excuse)

On 7/8/2017 at 9:24 PM, SmithW6079 said:

can't stand Matt and Akbar -- I hate their screeching and their shouting and the ridiculous bullshit that comes out of their mouths.

So, it's not just me.  The pointing "you da man" schtick...Fast Forward, folks, the advertisers hate it.  

• Love 1

the networks always ruin these shows with pathos and sentimentality, it's their trademark...bring us the action and even over hype like you do but please stop all this pushing of force fed drama...yes, alot of bad and sad things happen to people all the time but why does every other challenger have to have a tragedy in their life...sickening! and the announcers are so so over the top...ugh...better when it was just Ninja Warrior...

• Love 3

I love Matt & Akbar - seeing how excited they get is part of the show, and i love how competitors that hit a buzzer look to them for affirmation and praise. I can even live with the sob stories, although it feels like a waste of time when the person ends up wiping out on the first or second obstacle. I just wish they would show the entire run of every person that hits a buzzer! I mean, the courses have become so difficult the last few years that only a few people in each city manage to complete the course. Why can't they show them??!????

• Love 6

The sob stories are a waste of time for viewers but there are basically three ways to get on ANW if you aren’t a pro.  

1. To be recommended  in my a pro through a gym.

2.  To wait on line for what looks like 2 weeks average and who has that kind of time?

3.  Send in a video to NBC/ANW and if they like it they pick you.

Personally I would go the tape route and either go funny or sad depending on what i think my best shot is.  Unless I did something awesome which I haven’t.  

NBC isn’t really ruining the show.  If anything they are making it bigger which is a good thing.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Can you imagine WWWA-ing any other sport? "While we were away, someone hit a grand slam we won't bother to show you other than the guy crossing home plate. But here's a feature about the back up second baseman's sick grandma!" Who would watch that?

I get that they want to appeal to as many people as possible. They need a mix of triumphs, defeats, amazing acts, spectacular fails, and backstories. And they can't fit that all in while showing every second of every qualifier's run. But I wish they would do more joining in progress instead of just a montage of buzzer pushes. Sure, skip the floating steps we've seen a million times if you must, but could we at least see a few minutes of the final few obstacles?

• Love 9

I don't like loooooooong back stories, at all. Cut them shorter, NBC!! These days, even a really fascinating back story gets really boring before they're done.

I don't mind the "while you were outs" when they're wannabes who don't make it. However, I very much do mind, when someone hits a buzzer for the the first time (or, for that matter, hits a buzzer at all) and they don't show the run!!

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, majormama said:

Can you imagine WWWA-ing any other sport? "While we were away, someone hit a grand slam we won't bother to show you other than the guy crossing home plate. But here's a feature about the back up second baseman's sick grandma!" Who would watch that?

I get that they want to appeal to as many people as possible. They need a mix of triumphs, defeats, amazing acts, spectacular fails, and backstories. And they can't fit that all in while showing every second of every qualifier's run. But I wish they would do more joining in progress instead of just a montage of buzzer pushes. Sure, skip the floating steps we've seen a million times if you must, but could we at least see a few minutes of the final few obstacles?

But there is debate on if this a sport or a game show.  The athletes in baseball all get paid regardless if the hit the ball or strike out.  No one gets paid for just showing up to ANW.  Some have managed to get noticed or make a career out of it but NBC has made millions by not calling it a sport.  And until it is the WWWA and videos are a way to condense time and give people there fifteen minutes of fame without having to give them a dime.

1 hour ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

I don't like loooooooong back stories, at all. Cut them shorter, NBC!! These days, even a really fascinating back story gets really boring before they're done.

I agree, sometimes they go on and on. And frankly they should never show the same damn backstory more than once. Sometimes it's year after year of "wow, this lady was in a wheelchair, now she's not, wowwwwwwww" and it just has got to stop.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I agree, sometimes they go on and on. And frankly they should never show the same damn backstory more than once. Sometimes it's year after year of "wow, this lady was in a wheelchair, now she's not, wowwwwwwww" and it just has got to stop.

Well if we’re thinking about the same story that is technically a decent story.  A woman who didn’t have all that good a prognosis has her husband run the course and dies better then expected.  Runs it a couple more times but bottoms out but then she decides to run....wow.  Someone we saw initially (whether you believe the story or not and it is possible she got health advice from the other ninjas and she took it because what did she have to lose?) in a wheel chair suddenly running the course and even though she flopped early who cares?  

27 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Well if we’re thinking about the same story that is technically a decent story.  A woman who didn’t have all that good a prognosis has her husband run the course and dies better then expected.  Runs it a couple more times but bottoms out but then she decides to run....wow.  Someone we saw initially (whether you believe the story or not and it is possible she got health advice from the other ninjas and she took it because what did she have to lose?) in a wheel chair suddenly running the course and even though she flopped early who cares?  

It just bugs me because I think they exaggerated her prognosis to get on TV. Then she had a "miracle cure" that they can't give details about on TV because it involves medical marijuana. It just seems so off to me because they have shown their story several times over the last few seasons and it is extremely edited to the point where it rings false.

• Love 5
On 8/6/2018 at 11:12 AM, majormama said:

As Mr Ecats was commenting on the backstories somewhat favorably (as he doesn't watch ANW with any attention), I used @MAJORMAMA's comment and it gave him needed perspective. Many thanks, because her comment is gold.

• Love 2
On 8/6/2018 at 12:13 PM, Chaos Theory said:

But there is debate on if this a sport or a game show.  The athletes in baseball all get paid regardless if the hit the ball or strike out.  No one gets paid for just showing up to ANW.  Some have managed to get noticed or make a career out of it but NBC has made millions by not calling it a sport.  And until it is the WWWA and videos are a way to condense time and give people there fifteen minutes of fame without having to give them a dime.

So then why do they do this same crap during the Olympics? Those are pretty clearly sports, but the TV coverage of them is *horrible*. They're so busy showing interviews and backstories and various ceremonies that they hardly show the actual sport anymore. It's unwatchable for me.

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, majormama said:

Can you imagine WWWA-ing any other sport? 

NBC has been showing Olympics this way for years, as a mish-mash of different events and athletes/sports cutting in an out, very few events for them deserve complete uninterrupted coverage start to finish.  So I am not surprised Ninjas get the same treatment.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, simplyme said:

So then why do they do this same crap during the Olympics? Those are pretty clearly sports, but the TV coverage of them is *horrible*. They're so busy showing interviews and backstories and various ceremonies that they hardly show the actual sport anymore. It's unwatchable for me.

Yup.  I have watched Olympics in a few other countries (and I attended two live, though only a couple events at each) and no other country seems to do this.  In fact, I did not watch a second of this year's Olympics and I found I did not miss it at all.

Backstories don't bother me in and of themselves, but when they are repeated year after year or just twice as long as they should be, or about a really unsympathetic character - then they are irritating.  

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3

my solution to the endless backstories is to either have a book to read during the time, or while ANW is on the TV, have something else playing on my ipad, which I will watch until the good stuff comes on ANW (i.e. the actual run).

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, Hellga said:

NBC has been showing Olympics this way for years, as a mish-mash of different events and athletes/sports cutting in an out, very few events for them deserve complete uninterrupted coverage start to finish.  So I am not surprised Ninjas get the same treatment.

Even the On Demand options suck.  I watched some speed skating and wanted to see the end -- nope, just the medal ceremony.  The 2nd half of the skiing Combo wasn't available at all.  Ugh.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:43 AM, Hanahope said:

my solution to the endless backstories is to either have a book to read during the time, or while ANW is on the TV, have something else playing on my ipad, which I will watch until the good stuff comes on ANW (i.e. the actual run).

There is very little I watch on TV during which I'm not also messing around on my computer at the same time (I don't usually try to read a book because I find the TV too distracting even if it's just on a commercial, but on my computer I'm usually just reading Facebook or blog comments that don't require the same kind of attention as a book; I can read and listen to music, but can't read with visual media on.) Especially things like this, or America's Got Talent, which pretty much just rehash the same back stories each episode.

• Love 1
On 7/10/2017 at 9:58 PM, enoughcats said:

can't stand Matt and Akbar -- I hate their screeching and their shouting and the ridiculous bullshit that comes out of their mouths.

Akbar makes me almost miss Monotone Mosley....almost.  I don't remember Matt being so OTT with him.  Their OTT enthusiasm seems disingenuous to me.

Edited by LegalParrot81