Type keyword(s) to search

Exercise: What's Your Workout?

• Start Topic

(edited)
I'm fairly certain that when they say things like that, they're talking about being aware of your form, not necessarily getting into a "totally in the moment" headspace.

You'd think, right?  Sadly, that was not the point of the study, which might just be the worst study in the world to participate in, it occurs to me.  No, the point of the study was that people who were "mentally present" really thinking about what they were doing vs simply maintaining good form while being mentally engaged by TV would get less out of it.   

As near as I could tell, it was a study sponsored by group fitness providers, because the up-shot was "take classes and really think about every move, don't zone out"  they didn't just claim that the results would be better, they were claiming greater calorie burn.  My theory is that boredom must then burn a lot of calories,, because unless you are taking a class with an instructor who is engaging with you....then oh with the tedium.  Again, that's just me, I'm sure there are people who are truly enjoy thinking about exercise while exercising.  

Boy did I dislike that article too, by the way, because one of its first points was that you shouldn't watch TV while on the elliptical.  They claimed that people who did went a shorter distance at a lesser speed than people who did not.  Personally I think the answer should be, "Well commit to going hard and watch something" , but whereas music is apparently okay, TV draws too much focus, causing people to put out less effort.  

Like all of those studies though, you never know how many people were used as the test group.  I was just reading recently that a lot of studies use primarily male candidates (really caused a problem with Ambien, apparently men and women react to it very differently)...and like most studies it almost certainly had a marketing point.   I don't know who sponsored it, but I'm not going to die of shock if it was some collective of gyms, trainers or instructors. 

Just saw one yesterday about how diet soda will help you lose more weight than drinking water....it was sponsored by the diet beverage industry.  That one they put right in the article, but I think they sort of had to admit to that one. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

Boy did I dislike that article too, by the way, because one of its first points was that you shouldn't watch TV while on the elliptical.  They claimed that people who did went a shorter distance at a lesser speed than people who did not.  Personally I think the answer should be, "Well commit to going hard and watch something" , but whereas music is apparently okay, TV draws too much focus, causing people to put out less effort.

I didn't read this article, but that this is the case for me, TV is too distracting when I'm on the treadmill.  I usually listen to either a podcast or an audiobook.  (I definitely can't read a print book, too hard to focus on the page).   But if watching TV gets someone to exercise, then that's what they should do.   Theortically going faster or a longer distance doesn't help if you're discouraged from exercising in the first place.  I say whatever it takes to  help  you to get moving is what you shold do. 

• Love 4

But if watching TV gets someone to exercise, then that's what they should do.   Theortically going faster or a longer distance doesn't help if you're discouraged from exercising in the first place.  I say whatever it takes to  help  you to get moving is what you shold do. 

AMEN!!  One of the things I keep in mind is the saying "6 minutes or 16 minutes, a mile is still a mile!"  Doing something is far better than doing nothing.

• Love 2

"6 minutes or 16 minutes, a mile is still a mile"

I agree with this.   I've read a lot of articles with studies on whether running or walking is a better exercise.  Yes, running a mile in 6 minutes will burn more calories, but going a mile in 16 minutes is better than sitting on the couch.   If people get the impression that the only exercise worth doing is running, they may just say "screw it" and not exercise at all.   I do both walking and running, depending on the weather and how much energy I have.   I'm not planning on competing in a marathon or anything, I just want to stay fit.  

(edited)

I really agree, not only is everything individual  it is important to remember that most studies really are based in the desire to sell something and keep an industry rolling. That's part of the reason they seem to come out with contradictory advice.  A need to buy new stuff, swap out all of your products, etc.  There's been a huge surge in the recommendation for HIIT (High intensity Interval Training) ....I've done it, my husband has done it and I have to say...no breath-taking results over here.  Admittedly, I don't have a goal other than staying fit, but the best strength increase I've had was from Yoga and then core fusion.  

HIIT is really tough stuff too, even in the lower impact varieties.  I've done squat jumps and I've done decelerated squat jumps and either one will wipe most people out and both will leave you so darned sore after the first few times you do them, that they can be sort of counter-productive, in my opinion. 

Plus, no matter what anyone says, I think a lot of things about fitness and weight are so individual that all that matters is what works for you.  I'm pretty fast on the elliptical after all this time, and I have been increasing speed and distance, but I do those on separate days, because that's what works for me.  I've also got a friend out here who was doing PX90 in her late forties and rather predictably injured the hell out of herself eventually, requiring surgery, which completely derailed her for close to six months.  So long and slow , while not the current advice, is very unlikely to cause that kind of injury.  High intensity, unfortunately, is very likely. 

Also, it's such an odd industry, because the reason people exercise really is supposed to be focused on well-being, not pants size, muscle definition or trying to outdo the next person over.  There's a current approach to cramming as much as a person humanly can into something like a twenty minute period of exercise and ....okay, but it doesn't necessarily follow that going at half the pace for twice as long is not going to help a person feel better.   Feeling better overall seems like a better goal because it has to do with wellness, vs. ....whatever the hell something like PX90 is supposed to achieve.  

Have you guys ever seen that stuff?  I have never flinched so much viewing anything.  It just looked like an Orthopedic Surgeon with long range goals must have developed that.  I'd last two minutes before I strained, sprained, or maimed myself....and I'm okay with that.  That stuff just scared me.  

Same deal with the entire "use these ropes" weirdness (I don't even know the name of it) that looks like a workout designed by Long Fisherman with a sarcastic sense of humor.  I saw two women here in Forest Park doing that "try to ripple these insanely long ropes" workout and in between running up and down a hill with medicine ball.  They both looked like the wanted to actually die and their trainer was barking at them like he was a Marine drill sergeant. 

No one keeps that kind of stuff up, because most people have the sense to avoid things they find torturous.  Again, that's all just my view, and I love fitness, diet, exercise stuff.  I'm actually psyched to be talking to BizzBuzz about exercise equipment.  I love this stuff.  

But I do think the industry has sort of lost the long term plot in a lot of instances.  

Edited:  Apparently that rope exercise is called Battling Rope or Heavy Rope exercise.  It looks like something people are forced to do in Turkish Prisons, if you ask me. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago

I really agree, not only is everything individual  it is important to remember that most studies really are based in the desire to sell something and keep an industry rolling. That's part of the reason they seem to come out with contradictory advice

There was an interesting column in the New York Times  last week that addressed this: Fitness Crazed   http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/opinion/sunday/fitness-crazed.html. The writer was tryin to build up some muscles, tried some workouts like P90X but didn't have any success.  Then he saw an article on Basic Barbell Training, which involved just to five different type of of lifts 3 times a week and gradually increaseing the weight.  He got results.  

The problem is that everybody in the fitness industry grabs onto this basic science — plus the occasional underfunded applied study with a handful of student subjects — and then twists the results to come up with something that sounds like a science-backed recommendation for whatever they’re selling. Most gym owners, for example, want you to walk in the door on Jan. 2 and think, Hey, this looks easy. I can do this. So they buy stationary cardio and strength machines that anybody can use without hurting themselves, often bearing brand names like Sci-Fit (Scientific Solutions for Fitness), which might more accurately be described as scientific solutions for liability management

.And of course they want to sell you stuff. 

THEN there’s the matter of our collective cravings. From cable news to the nation’s great newspapers, there is a tacit understanding that in fitness stories you and I want to hear variations on exactly one theme: that a just-published research paper in a scientific journal identifies a revolutionary new three-and-a-half minute workout routine guaranteed to give you the body of an underwear model. So powerful is this yearning — this burning ache to look good naked and have great sex and live forever — that even the best-intentioned of fitness journalists scour every little academic study for anything that might justify telling you that same sweet story, one more time

I have a treadmill, and an inexpensive set of dumbells.   I downloaded a free app from I-Tunes (NIke Training Club) that works for me.   I also do a lot of walking and some running.   I'm not really intersted in whatever the lastest fitness craze is, I just to what works for me. 

• Love 3

That article was great. It hit on something that I found bewildering when I wanted to go to the gym again: there were a ton of workouts offered, all with fancy names that I had never heard of before, all without a specific description and, upon further study, yes, all with some gimmicky equipment. Because if you join a class, you pay up. If you are told lifting free weights and/or bodyweight exercises is enough, you might invest in a set of weights for home and only go to the gym occasionally, when you want to do something different. Also, to get you interested, they constantly come up with new programs or at least new names for programs. 

Btw, there is now something called TRX, which is based on the idea that doing movements while partially suspended is the supreme form of exercise. https://www.trxtraining.com/

• Love 2

Does anybody else use Fitocracy? It seems rather helpful to me.

I registered for Fitocracy, but I'm not using it - at least not yet. The social network aspect of it kinda turns me off. I'm tempted by Freeletics though (I haven't tried it yet.)

• Love 1

I've been trying to be more active. You know, beyond exercising my hands on my keyboard (not a euphemism) and taking long walks that really don't seem to do a bit of good. I put on some weight in the last few years and it's hard to lose it once you've gained it. I am so not a gym person. I am too weak for weights (at least at the kind of gyms around me) and I'm not coordinated enough for the crazy dance classes. The problem with all the at home workouts I've found is that they seem to be for people who can bounce all over the place regardless of what they say about who the exercises are targeted towards. I love the rest of the Chapman family on youtube but I'll be damned if I can do a Lean Machines workout. I usually end up searching for something lame like "post-pregnancy exercises" or "exercising with arthritis" or "exercises for old people." As Nora Ephron put it "I would like to be in shape. I would. But every time I try to get into shape, something goes wrong and makes it impossible. Let me make this clear: Every time I get into shape, something breaks."

aradia22 you might want to check out Nike Fitness Club, it a free app for I-phone or Android.   Here's a link I found to a review of it http://passionlifelovehealth.com/ff-review-nike-training-club-app/.   I have a lot of the same problems you mentioned.  I'm not coordinated, and I'm not young anymore (I'm 58).   I used to be thin, but I gradually gained weight over the years, and I found myself at age 55 weighing 150 pounds (I'm only 5 foot 1).   I looked around for some exercise routines, and found Nike Training Club.  One of the main reasons I like it is you do it privately, at your own speed.   If I get tired or out of breath, I just pause the workout and take a drink of water.   I use dumbells ranging from 3 pounds up to 10 pounds.   I also like the fact that you can listen to whatever music you want to listen to.   Also, since it's on my I-Pod Touch, I'm not watching the people while they exercise and feeling inadequate (though I do watch each exericise performed the first time to see how to do it).   I may not be doing the exercise perfectly, but I do as much as I can.   The routines range from 15 minutes to 45 minutes, and most of the exercises are simple: light jog, modifited push up, side lunge, squats, hip lift, modified plank.    A lot can be done with or without weights.   I started working out with it in February of 2011 and lost 35 pounds by October 2011 (about a pound a week).  I've pretty much kept the weight off, my weight ranges between 115 to 120.   At first I was working out 45 minutes every day, since we had a horrible winter that year so I couldn't walk outside, and I didn't have a treadmill.   I now have a treadmill, and it's good weather, so I do the workout 2 to 3 times  a week. 

• Love 3
(edited)
Just saw one yesterday about how diet soda will help you lose more weight than drinking water....it was sponsored by the diet beverage industry.  That one they put right in the article, but I think they sort of had to admit to that one.

I have actually seen research (I'm a nurse) that correlates obesity rates in the US with the consumption of diet soda. They are actually rising at the same rate.  Part of the reason for this is that the fake sugars induce a real insulin spike, which causes you to store more fat. It also creates a feeling of hunger and tends to make you eat more. So I'm not surprised this study was sponsored by some diet soda company.

I'm a big fan of Les Mills BodyPump and CXWORX.  BodyPump is a great organized barbell workout that gives pretty quick results.

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 1

To be super clear, I had posted that to illustrate how inane many studies are.  In that case the "diet soda will make you lose more weight than water!" study was so clearly inane and self-interested that the article itself had to cop to the fact that the study was (unsurprisingly) sponsored by the makers of diet soda. 

• Love 2

Is anyone else doing the 100 miles in June challenge?  I am already predicting I won't make it - I'm super busy this month AND I'm super slow, so I suspect I will simply run out of time.  But I tend to do better if I have some kind of a goal, and it has motivated me to come home after 12-hour days yesterday and today and get on my treadmill.  Whatever it takes, right?  I'm at 8 miles so far, but will be able to do some long outdoor run/walks over the weekend.  Oh, and I LOVE the Zombies, Run! app!!

• Love 2

To be super clear, I had posted that to illustrate how inane many studies are. In that case the "diet soda will make you lose more weight than water!" study was so clearly inane and self-interested that the article itself had to cop to the fact that the study was (unsurprisingly) sponsored by the makers of diet soda.

Oh, I got that. I was supporting your skepticism.
  • Love 1
Oh, I got that. I was supporting your skepticism.

Thank you, that's appreciated.  Although, I sort of have to laugh at my complete horror over the concept that anyone would think I supported drinking a diet soda.  

Now a Margarita?  Oh hell yes.  Cadillac preferably.  A nice big glass of lemonade? Sure, on occasion! A huge variety of bad for you treats? Bring.it.On. 

I was just horrified that it could have been read as my suggesting "For weight loss...." Nooooooooooo! For fun? Margarita! 

but that this is the case for me, TV is too distracting when I'm on the treadmill.

I can watch TV while on the treadmill or elliptical, but have an easier time of it if it is something with no real 'plot' (i.e. back episodes of Chopped, Wipeout, etc.) or its something I've seen many times before (Friends, Seinfeld and so on).

I'm a fan of walking/ hiking and yoga, and now that it is summer I am on the hunt for a lap pool so I can start swimming laps outdoors again.  I grew up doing neighborhood swim team every summer so its an old habit.

I had a good exercise day yesterday, I ran outside for the first time since last fall.  The weather was horrible this winter, I did walk all through the snow and ice, but I wasn't going to risk running, especially since the area I run through is hilly and  a lot of the surface is uneven (grass, dirt, gravel).   I finally got up the energy to do a run in the morning, before it got too warm, and before I had to be at work.   (I was working the evening shift, didn't have to be in until 11:30 am).   It felt really good to run, even though it wasn't particularly fast (11 minute mile).  Today it's pouring rain, so no running, but I'm hoping that I can get some days of running in before the hot weather starts again.

• Love 2

I prefer watching a sports activity, one with a lot of movement is best, while on the treadmill or elliptical. I put it on mute and listen to music.

I have been walking quite a bit after venturing in this thread a few days ago and am thrilled I tried the audiobook suggestion. A few years ago I attempted the use of an audiobook and it mostly stopped and skipped through chapters and was much more frustrating than it was worth, but have had zero complications this time.

I am hoping to get new tires for my bike soon so I can explore the local trails on wheels. Hopefully it is cheaper than I am expecting.

• Love 1

VanillaBear85 glad you're enjoying walking listening to audiobooks.  I find that I like to listen to audiobooks or podcasts when I'm walking, and music when I'm running. 

I gave the Nike app a test run. I haven't tried a workout yet but I really like the setup. Thanks for the recommendation. Everything is laid out really well so you don't have to worry about figuring out reps and organizing the workout so you don't get tired and I love that they include videos.

• Love 1

aradia22 one of the reasons I like the Nike app is because I don't have to count reps.  I used to do one of the type of workouts where you did  for example 12 reps with 5 pounds, the 10 reps with 8 pounds, then 12 reps with 10 pounds.  I sometimes found myself losing track of how many reps I was doing or which set I was on.   With this workout the app tells me the time and once I'm comfortable with the exercise, I can just listen to the music and/or think about what I'm planning for dinner next week.

Do any of you use the Leslie Sansone "Walk at Home" DVD's?  I've been using several of hers over the last few years, and I like them. 

I have hit a serious wall when it comes to working out.  I try to do something every day, whether it's the DVD's, walking 40 minutes outside, or doing a Wii Fit workout (yeah...I still like my Wii Fit.)  I lost 25 lbs.several years ago, but I can't get any results at all right now.  Very frustrating.

• Love 1
(edited)

Blinksohuman, try switching to something else entirely for four weeks.  There's a theory, and it seems to be true, that when you do the same workouts over and over, you basically get very good at them.  Highly proficient, thereby expending less energy and burning fewer calories.  Is it true?  I don't know, but I can tell you that I got to the point where I was doing 12 miles on the elliptical at a pop, I switched everything to a completely different form of cardio and weight-training and did see pretty significant results in terms of muscle definition.  

So try switching for a month and then switch back.  

Speaking of, I'm in a rotation where I'm primarily doing yoga mixed with cardio, no other reason than it was too darned cold to do yoga in my house all winter long and I'm trying to push through to the next level of proficiency which meant committing to an improvement program that requires five sessions of yoga a week.  I like yoga, but it's rarely short and sweet, so it uses up most of my workout time and then I throw in a half hour of cardio just to make sure I get some.  

So I did a shoulder release program yesterday...and that was fine (she says with some irony...in my whole life I've never done a wrist, arm and finger stretching program before....and all that weight-lifting with my arms made it like a mini-torture session..."bring your hands to pray position, behind your back"??? Holy hell, you're supposed to be able to do that?!?) ,,,,and there was a point where the instructor made me laugh hysterically by saying, "tuck your toes under and sit back on your heels for a toe-stretch if this causes excruciating pain..." just the casual use of the possible "may cause excruciating pain" disclaimer made me laugh like a mad woman.  

Until the promised excruciating pain hit and that was less amusing.  

Edited by stillshimpy

I work out at the gym five days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, with Wednesday and Sunday off) for a little over an hour in the morning before I head off to work.  

I do flat bench press, incline bench press, overhead shoulder press, flat bench dumbbell press, flat bench dumbbell flyes, incline dumbbell press, incline dumbbell flyes, dumbbell curls and triceps extensions, Romanian barbell deadlifts, cable rows, cable lat pulldowns, and then finish with a circuit of kettlebell exercises (deadlifts, goblet squats, and swings).  I do three sets of 6-10 reps of each exercise.  

By the time I'm done, my heart rate is up, I'm breathing just a bit heavy, my metabolism is stoked, and I've worked up a pretty good sweat -- and that's on the days when I'm not feeling particularly ambitious!

• Love 1

I "get" to take a short break from my regular workout for the next few days. Turns out that the slight discomfort in my foot on Tuesday's walk was a gaping hole in the sole of my shoe, going all the way to the insole.

At least it makes me feel a little bit accomplished. "Oh yeah, I walk so hard that I tore straight through a shoe!

I was supposed to make it back here quite a while ago, but life got in the way.  I need some advice, if you folks are still willing to give it.

I am about to embark on a program that has the following for rules:

One day of cardio (up to 2 days)

One day of strength-training (up to 2 days)

One day of yoga, stretching, or deep-breathing (up to 3 days)

This will be 3 days a week.  Now, keep in mind, here are MY rules:

Cardio:  I have a back injury, so I can't do a lot of running or repetitive bouncing.  I can dance and work up a sweat, so does this count?  I have multiple Wii Dance things I can use, so just need to know if this would count as cardio?  I have a small place (400 sq ft) and right now, I don't have the money for a treadmill, so it would have to be stuff that takes no extra equipment.  Would Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds work?

Strength Training:  I don't have access to a gym, and in reality, in my 51 years of being on this earth, I have never seriously done any weight lifting, so am clueless.  I need help in determining how I (a beginner) could get into some sort of strength training in the privacy of my own home.  I am going to assume by using dumbbells?  If so, what do I need to go get, just the basics to get started.  And what sort of routine would I need to do?  Would getting one of those exercise balls be considered strength training?  I have to baby my back or it's off to surgery I go.

Yoga, Stretching, or Deep-breathing:  Since all of this is low impact, I would like to do this all three of the optional days a week, maybe spending one day doing yoga, one day doing stretching and one day doing deep breathing.  Again, for the beginner, what would you recommend?

I am a very visual learner, so if you have suggestions, and maybe a video that you could share, I would be most appreciative!

Thanks you all, I am looking forward to being all you active souls when I grow up.  ::giggle::

I'm usually pretty good about working out but my parents were in town last weekend and I didn't feel like getting back into it this week. Monday I promise ill start back on my routine.

As for me, I'm a stay at home mom of two boys, ages 2 and 4 so I rarely have time to work out. Running only happens if something is chasing me. I hate running!!! I have onDemand and can usually find some good free workout programs that last about 20-30 minutes. I really only desire to lose about 15-20 pounds but I want to be in shape. With onDemand I can stick the boys in front of a cartoon in the living room for breakfast while I workout in my bedroom. It also helps that I literally never sit down for the day until the kids are in bed at night. I'm always up, moving, doing something. I'm sure if I could get rid of my love for craft beer I'd be making much better progress :)

(edited)

@BizBuzz I'm sure some others will be along to give you good advice. I'll throw in my two cents while you wait. Btw, don't you hate it when life gets in the way of your well laid plans? Sorry to hear that for you!

Personally I count cardio if it raises my heart rate & I sweat. I would definitely say dancing counts. I've never done the Walk Away the Pounds program, but I've heard some good things about it & I know walking can be cardio if done right.

As far as weight training I think the biggest thing is proper form, especially if you have back issues. Good form can turn what seems like a easy breeze workout into a much more effective one & it saves you from injury. Besides free weights resistance bands can be used as a form of strength training. I have several in various resistance strengths & they can definitely fatigue muscles.

My weakest area is probably yoga/stretching type things. I think, with your back injury, being careful with form will be additionally important here, but I can't offer you a lot of insight due to my inexperience. Most of my stretching is simply common stretching after a workout to combat soreness or a Pilates class here & there.

I've always been a class taker so I'm not as knowledgable about videos but I've tried a few YouTube ones recently & found some of them are pretty good. I like some of the Zumba dance ones, even if they are super cheesy. There are also some decent ones with form tips. I also use Amazon Prime for some videos. As much as Jillian Michaels annoys me at times I find some of her workouts worthwhile & I've experimented with a few other kinds as well. I've also used resistance bands & weighted ball workouts that I've followed written instructions from online. I have a couple of apps (for iPhone) that walk you through various exercises & some of them have good form advice. I don't use them much but I can get you the names if you'd like.

Finally, let me say a cheer for strength training. I had never done any until I hit 40. I started using a personal trainer & found out I really liked lifting. It was strangely empowering to use free weights & machine weights. Seeing my ability to increase the amount I could move was also awesome. I encourage you to give it a try! I have had life issues these past three years & not been able to work out to nearly the degree I previously did & I miss it, but the muscle definition I acquired hasn't faded away as much as I thought it would. The density of muscle versus fat is obvious in my weight versus what I look like I weigh. It's a bonus weight lifting has given me & I appreciate it. Hopefully I can get restarted soon.

@Mountainair I hear you about hating running. I've tried multiple times & it's just not my thing. I just want to say good for you for doing anything when your kiddos are so small! I know that's hard work in itself. And thanks for the tip about videos OnDemand. I never thought to check there.

@Tabbyclaw wearing out a shoe is kind of awesome. I'm impressed!

@legaleagle53 I'm also impressed with your routine & consistency! I had to look up what a goblet squat was because I didn't know that one. It probably stems from the fact I dislike kettle bells, so I've only used them infrequently.

ETA: A long winded post & only one typo? I'm calling that a win to start the day! lol

Edited by ramble
  • Love 1
(edited)

Okay, BizBuzz, first of all, please note that Yoga can actually be pretty challenging for your back, so you need to start with Beginner Hatha yoga, and regardless of your age, first do a "Yoga for seniors" program like this one which is actually done in a chair.  But do try Hatha Yoga, or "Gentle Yoga" don't just get a Yoga for Beginners and expect that to fit.  There are a lot of different kind of Yoga styles and some of them are better for people with back injuries than others. Be careful, "beginner" anything in Yoga is more about the style than the anything else.  

For free weights, you need to start with something super light.  It's going to sound sort of absurdly light, but you need to start low and see how you feel afterward.  So a set of 2, 3 and 4 pound weights is a good idea, starting with the 2.  It's not a contest and you'll be at home, no one is going to judge you, so just take it easy.  Also, look for the equivalent of a Play it Again Sports in your area.  When and if you do graduate and want higher weights?  They have trade-in programs.  Sure, it's all used stuff, but so is everything at a pricey gym.  Just wipe it down with disinfectant wipes.  

One last thing, the thing about cardio isn't "sweat! bounce! run! be a maniac!"  I admit, I do a lot of high-intensity stuff these days, but that's not what defines cardio.  Cardio just means raising your heart-rate and sustaining that rise.  So a brisk walk counts as cardio.  I know you have allergy issues and can't walk outside, but please search you-tube for "no bounce" "low impact" "small space walking cardio."  I'll grab a couple of links for you here in a minute.  

Yes, your Wii dance would count, but there is a misconception that cardio has to involve a ton of exertion.  If you can't go all out high intensity, you just go longer, less intense and will get the same benefits.  I really love fitness and it's clearly one of my hobbies, but all the ads we're bombarded with seem to equate it with an all-or-sloth mentality and that's just not how it works.  

So here's a low impact one and it's listed as low-impact for seniors.  That's absolutely fine, all that title means is that it makes a special effort to take it easy on joints.  But those are the sort of work-outs you would need at first ...also, pre-natal stuff would be good too, because it is extra careful about backs.  I don't know anything about the walking dvds you mentioned, but keywords like "joint-friendly" "low-impact" and "no-bounce" can be helpful.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2
(edited)

To piggy-back onto what stillshimpy said, my own advice would be to check with your doctor before starting anything, BizBuzz.  He or she would be in the best position to let you know what he or she thinks your body can and can't handle, so as long as you've got his or her OK, you should be good to go with pretty much any workout routine you feel comfortable doing.

After I had a pacemaker upgrade last year due to congestive heart failure, the first thing I did was make sure that my primary care physician, my cardiologist, and my electrophysiologist were all on board with my starting a workout program before I actually joined a gym and did one (by the way, gym memberships really don't have to be that pricey; my gym is YouFit, and it's only $19.99 a month (or only $10.00 a month if you don't mind getting a few fewer perks).  It's worth it to me, even though I must confess that I'm not always as consistent as I should be in my workouts -- but I'm making more of an effort nowadays.  The best thing about gym memberships is that you can always find someone there who will be glad to help you, make exercise recommendations, or just give you incentive by letting you watch him or her while doing your own workout.  And it's not always a member of staff, either -- other, more experienced gym members can also be very helpful and are usually quite approachable.  They won't judge you because you're a newbie, either; in fact, I get very strong encouragement from the gym members that I have taken the time to chat with on occasion.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

You know, that's a really good point.  Any and all advice I give is only what I know has worked for me and you really do need to talk to your doctor.  Every fitness DVD in the world, every contract for a gym is going to tell you the exact same thing: check with your doctor before beginning this or any exercise program.  

It's stated because of liability issues, obviously, but that doesn't make it anything other than a truly valid concern.  You have a back injury and I gave you some fairly solid general advice for starting out with light weights, but it was with the assumption that you've been talking to your doctor, because that is the first and most important step for anyone.  Depending on the type of back injury you have, it may not be appropriate for you to do any free weight, or weight training and only your doctor can tell you that for sure.  

I want to thank everyone for chiming in.  And yes, I understand about the doctor thing (if I believed in doctor's I probably would have gone to one to ask their opinion, ha!) - but in any case, I was just asking for idea, I am ultimately the final say and wouldn't hold anyone on this site responsible.

I do have the ok from my reflexologist, my chiropractor and my naturopath to start an exercise routine and the above is what I was asked to accomplish. 

So thanks everyone!  I truly appreciate the direction!

• Love 1
(edited)

How's it going with your routine, BizBuzz?  Have you started or are you yet to start? 

This not actually about my workout routine, it's just about exercise in general.  Yesterday was hot.  That kind of muggy, "oh my god, I think I'm going to melt"  heat index was at 100 kind of HOT, which makes me glad we have a pool and we've finally convinced my allegedly part Lab dog that swimming feels good if you're a black dog, on a hot day.  It only took us four years and two separate pools at two different houses.  

So clearly we suck at persuading our dog to do much, but that's not the point!  So, scorching heat.  Merciless heat index and my husband goes running, which he often does, because he actually likes running in humidity, sweating like a crazy person and then rehydrating accordingly.  He just runs in the neighborhood on those days, a zillion trees, tons of shade.  He passes by a group of guys doing landscape work and they looked at him like he'd fully lost his mind for choosing to run in that heat.  

Fast-forward an hour and we're heading out to dinner.  Starved, both having worked out and as we're approaching a hill, in the full blazing sun I see a guy, older than my husband, dressed in a black tee and shorts, running and sort of laughed saying, "Hey honey, someone even nuttier than...." and before I can even finish the sentence the guy slows to a walk.  He looks sort of gray-faced to my eye and as we passed him he starts what appears to be a slow collapse to the pavement.  I'm freaking the hell out, because "MAN DOWN!"  and my husband isn't far behind me on that feeling. We pulled a u-turn to go back to see if we needed to dial 911 and start administering CPR....

And that maniac had dropped down to do ten push-ups apparently, got up started walking and then started jogging again, as we sort of tried to casually act like we weren't rushing to his aid, practically preparing to throw his inert body into the back of our SUV if need be.  

Sometimes you can take this exercise mania a touch too far, would be the point.   

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

@stillshimpy that is a hilarious if slightly scary story. I'm glad the guy is ok if just a wee but crazy. And holy smokes on your hubby! I know the kind of water dripping in the air heat you mean & it makes me turn into a sloth if I'm outside too long. It's impressive your husband does that!

My ex-bf was similar to that older gentleman in his determination. He never & I mean never missed a day, even running in thunderstorms & ice. He also had a book that kept track of his daily push-up total & liked to do them in strange places. (e.g. interstate exits, handstand ones on cliff edges & moving cars) He was crazy about his workouts, but then again he was crazy in a pretty complete sense of the word.

• Love 1

My husband is crazy like that too.  He's been running in the horribly hot, humid weather.   Last week I ran the same time he did, but I gave up after about 20 minutes, he kept running for an hour.  I think it might have something to do with the fact that he was born and raised in Florida, but he says it's not that, it's that he has gotten used to running in the heat.  I decided it's not for me.  I can mange to walk in the heat, I do that every day, but for vigorous exercise I stay indoors in air conditioning.  

• Love 2

I went back to the gym on July 1st., I have been very consistent, only missed one day; the gym is closed on Sundays. My program is very simple: 5K on the elliptical, 5-10 min. on a treadmill to cool down and I finish with some stretching.

There are no classes at 6am which is the only time I can go.

I am a routine creature and an accountant so, it's very important to me to be able to quantify what I do, so I am not comfortable using other equipment but I am going to give it a try, I'll probably reduce the elliptical to maybe 3km and then do some upper work.

I have to be back at home by 7 to get ready for work, fortunately my boss allows me to be half an hour late as long as I'm doing my workout.

I used to go to Curves about 5 years ago, that was one of the best decisions I made, I got in great shape and all I needed was about 40min/day on the weekdays, unfortunately they closed and I haven't been able to achieve that kind of discipline at other gyms. If I had the resources (and space) at my place I would install a Curves circuit in my house, no doubt about it.

(edited)

There is a Curves in walking distance from my house, so when I could get there it was perfect: a half-mile walk uphill to warm up, 30-minute circuit, and a nice downhill walk home.  But to say I'm not a morning person would be a masterpiece of understatement, so I need to go in the evenings, and they're not open late enough.

And I, too, harbor a fantasy of creating a Curves in my house; if I could put in a basement, that's exactly what I would do down there. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Thanks for asking @stillshimpy

So far so good.  I took back the information to my chiropractor (who I absolutely adore and has saved me so far from having back surgery) and he suggested I do the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds for cardio 1-2 days, the same thing but with the resistance band 1-2 days, then I am supposed to get a core strength ball (haven't gotten it yet) and he ordered me a video for my specific injury for proper stretching exercises for it.

I started with the WATP stuff at the beginning of this month, and so far it's been working well!  I have lost 6 pounds, which wasn't my aim, but a nice side effect!

• Love 1

We finally had cool weather here yesterday, and I took advantage of it and did a short run, a litle over 2 miles.  I compared it with the last time I ran outside, when it was in the mid-80s and humid.   That time I ran a mile in 13.6 minutes, this time it was 11.7 minutes (the distance was about the same both times).  Shows how much heat affects my running.  It's cool again today, so I'll probably go out for another run. 

• Love 1

I've been so good with the gym that I've just bought myself a pair of Bose noise-cancelling earphones. I hate the music at the gym so I'm sure these will allow me to concentrate a lot more in my workouts while enjoying MY kind of music. Yippieeee!

I love all of Jessica Smith's Stuff.

Thanks for the link. I just discovered this topic and followed your links. I did a 7-minute standing ab workout. I probably didn't do it right, and it was only 7 minutes, but it was something. I walk on breaks at work or I try to anyway. Most days, I take one 10-minute walk in the morning and skip the afternoon walk because I just don't want to get up and walk. And right now, it's just too hot to walk outside, even at 10 a.m. I have some DVDs, but I get really bored doing the same thing every day so for a while I was doing YouTube videos and free stuff from Amazon Instant Video, but I got busy and tired and slacked off.

I have to walk during the work day or do stuff at home after 8 p.m. (the boy's bedtime). I absolutely will not get up extra early to exercise, and I don't want to take time away from my almost 3-year-old son in the evening to go to a gym.

So long and slow , while not the current advice, is very unlikely to cause that kind of injury.  High intensity, unfortunately, is very likely.

This is why I think even nine weeks for a couch to 5K program is not enough time, unless the person doing it has been a runner at some point in the past. I ran competitively in high school and college (until a knee injury sidelined me), and I just don't think that's really long enough for someone who really hasn't ever exercised at all to get to the point of running an entire 5K. I realize that's not really that far (I was a distance runner), but I've seen lots of people do a program like that and end up with knee, ankle and foot injuries. I just think it's better to build up to the 5K race over at least three or four months. If you've been a distance runner before, it might be different because your muscles remember running (I think, anyway), even if it's been years.

I have actually seen research (I'm a nurse) that correlates obesity rates in the US with the consumption of diet soda. They are actually rising at the same rate.  Part of the reason for this is that the fake sugars induce a real insulin spike, which causes you to store more fat. It also creates a feeling of hunger and tends to make you eat more.

Diet soda always makes me want to eat a candy bar to cover up the chemical after-taste, so it seems pointless to drink the diet soda in the first place.

• Love 1

I have to walk during the work day or do stuff at home after 8 p.m. (the boy's bedtime). I absolutely will not get up extra early to exercise, and I don't want to take time away from my almost 3-year-old son in the evening to go to a gym.

I will not get up early, either, and although I'm fairly open to taking time out of my evening to go for a walk/do free weights at home (or, if the freakin' local Curves would stay open past 7:30 - their big concession to those of us who said "You're not open late enough" when it had been 7:00 - work out there) there are certainly many nights that by the time I get in I just want to make dinner and relax.  So I, too, try to work stuff in during the day.  I'm not one to do a big, sweaty workout at a gym at lunch (other than Curves, I'm not a gym person, period) and then have to shower and re-dress, but I find that a post-lunch walk of half an hour can split the difference.  

My problem is that I really hate walking. Running, I don't mind, but it's too hot to run and there's not time in the workday to run and then get cleaned up after. We have a treadmill at home and sometimes I do that, but running on a treadmill is not the same as running on the road. It's a lot more boring even with the TV, which I can't hear because I never got around to getting wireless headphones.

I've thought about doing lap swimming at the pool a day or two a week during lunch, but haven't decided if I want to or not, even though I've only got a month and a half left to do it.

Basically, too, I'm lazy.

Diet soda always makes me want to eat a candy bar to cover up the chemical after-taste, so it seems pointless to drink the diet soda in the first place.

I have the same issue. I'm type 2 diabetic (thanks, dad's side of the family!) and I don't know if that's a factor, but drinking diet soda makes me feel hypoglycemic, so I eat to compensate and stop that feeling.  I finally quit drinking it and when I really want a soda I have a plain old Coke. But mostly I'm sticking to water these days.