Type keyword(s) to search

Exercise: What's Your Workout?

• Start Topic

(edited)

BizBuzz, I'm so glad you found a program that is working out for you! It's great that your chiropractor had ideas at the ready, that were really suited to your particular set of injuries.  How are you feeling?  

I'm glad you liked the Jessica Smith stuff, auntlada, I have to admit I've never done her short programs, but I think it is so incredibly cool that they exist.  It really is one of the most meaningful things a person can do for their overall well-being.  Although it isn't a cure all, in fact I had some surgery on the 14th of July , abdominal (not cosmetic, by the way, not to get overly personal but I had a partial hysterectomy and ended up with a "bikini cut" incision) and being in good shape beforehand has really, really helped with the recovery thus far.  I'm up to walking 6 miles a day, and as of tomorrow I will be cleared for (cautious) use of the elliptical and (equally cautious) return to weight training.  I probably won't be up to doing my regular workouts for another two to three weeks, but that's shaving about three weeks off of normal recovery times. 

And DOG ALMIGHTY, do I ever agree about the sheer boredom of walking.  I will get up early to exercise and I live in a beautiful area, but even listening to NPR plodding around the neighborhood until I've racked up that many miles a day(I started at two miles three days after surgery) a) takes forever b) so boy, this particular news cycle has been uber depressing, so there's that c) this morning it was 85% humidity at 6:20 a.m.  , by the time I got home I looked like I'd been hanging around a steam cave for grins.  

So I'm an even bigger advocate of working out than I was before this, which is a thought that I'm sure made five people who actually know me just turn a delicate shade of "Oh my god, hide from her!" pale.  

By the way, the way I got my doctor's to clear me for the elliptical was actually telling them how damned bored I was by the plod-plod-plod -- there's not a darned thing wrong with loving to walk, if that's your chosen form of exercise and it clicks for you, huzzah!  I don't think there is one universally right answer for all, just that everyone has a different answer to what their best form of exercise is and I now know for certain that mine is NOT WALKING, please.  

Anyway, my doctor was fairly certain that if all I was concentrating on was boredom and walking that far, that I could approach my elliptical again with caution because normally people would be concentrating on that "Ow!" of it all.  

BUT in support of the plod, plod, plod of walking?  I actually didn't need to lose weight, I just needed to lose most of my fibroid-plagued uterus,  nonetheless I'm down eleven pounds from the day before I had surgery. (I'm 5'5" and went into this at 128).   All that moderate to high intensity exercise that I do tends to give me a ravenous appetite, whereas walking does not cause that hunger spiking exertion.  

So I guess whatever someone's answer actually is, there are a lot of ways for the entire equation to work.  Including, "Yeah, you know?  I feel pretty good with what I'm doing now."  no matter what that is, including "I find naps and good books, with a dose of good tv to be my answer for overall health, both physical and mental."  It really is true that people will not keep up something they just flat-out don't like.    Everyone's allowed to be different and feel best with different things.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

I don't need to lose a lot of weight, but I do need to tone my abdominal muscles. They're better than they were six months ago. I started Weight Watchers in January and have lost about 15 pounds. I'm  probably OK where I am, but I'd like to lose at least five more so I can have a little buffer zone to work with. I'm 5'3", and at 156 pounds, I felt yucky. Also, the completely untoned ab muscles since the C-section almost three years ago. (Yes, I waited 2.5 years to finally get around to starting a weight-loss and exercise program.) I know my stomach will never be completely flat again (not that it has been since college), but I'd like it not to jiggle so much.

What I'd really like is to be able to eat the way I did when I was 20 without gaining weight -- and I don't even require weighing 115, which I did then. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen because I'm not 20 (46 now) and I don't run 8-10 miles five days a week and spend a lot of time walking to class and up and down the stairs of classroom buildings and dorms. So I walk.

• Love 2

There was a study that came out around a year ago about how harmful sitting was, that even if you exercised, sitting all day erased the benefits of exercise (very discouraging).  Then I read this article which came out a few weeks ago: http://www.runnersworld.com/health/how-much-does-sitting-negate-your-workout-benefits, which found that every hour of sitting erases 8% from the benefits of an hour of running.  (still discouraging).  But then I read one of the comments and it made a lot of sense:

I think the data hear is presented in a lopsided way. Sure, each hour of sitting erases 8% of his workout and 10 hour sitting thus erases the health benefit of a daily 1 hour run. But this also means that daily running entirely erases the harm of a day spent sitting, and still leaves a 20% benefit. So sitting runners still fare better than people that never sit but don't run, and of course they fare a lot better that sitter that never run. That's rather good news, in my book! 

I do try get up frequently from my desk, which the authors of the study suggest.  I have an Up band, (similar to a FItBit) which I have buzz me every 45 minutes (it can be set to go off anywhere from every 15 minutes to every 2 hours).  I don't go far, just walk to the end of the hall and back, 200 steps, takes about a minute.   I know I'm not really burning much in the way of calories doing this, but I am getting my body moving.   (I really can't do a lot of the other suggestions offered, I hardly ever talk on the phone, don't have to go to meetings, my office is on the first floor). 

• Love 5
(edited)

Oh no, are you caught in the Study Vortex, Alenore?  The never ending story of the stuff we are almost certainly doing wrong at any given moment?  Studies that suggest that if you aren't hopping out of bed in the middle of the night to do a few laps around the  track, you might as well be eating the salmon mousse in a Python film?  

There was a study that came out around a year ago about how harmful sitting was, that even if you exercised, sitting all day erased the benefits of exercise (very discouraging).

The very discouraging study that said that sitting all day was as bad for you as smoking, by any chance?  That study made me laugh my ass off, because how in the world would they ever draw that conclusion?  "Although sitters are less likely to have lung cancer, they can still get blood clots, therefore...." 

Diet and exercise studies seem to go through the same cycles that something like parenting styles do, only more rapidly.  They cycle, very, very quickly (likely because they so often are so closely tied to attempts to market some supposed remedy)  between, warm and encouraging "Studies show that raising your heart rate via high intensity cardio for only 40 seconds at a time, twelve times a day has as much benefit as a full hour of low impact cardio!" (this is the part that you might think I'm exaggerating for emphasis, but I'm not, the only thing I might have wrong is the twelve times a day, I think it was more like 8) the "we'll do anything to get you up and moving, we will bribe you with skittles and promises of tiny pants sizes!"  to going back to some old-school "shame your kids into being better people by never giving them any approval and constantly criticizing them!" approach that started to die out in the seventies.   

Then they shoot back on over to the "everyone gets a trophy!" mentality in which "these five easy life hacks will make you lose twenty pounds in one year!"  

I read almost all of them, so clearly I am truly interested in this stuff, but I try to do so with my tongue-planted firmly in my cheek, because "as bad as smoking" has become the new shaming device of the health and fitness industry.  I've seen it tied to sugar (seriously, "Is sugar the new smoking?" asked the headline), sitting, sleeping too much, sleeping too little (splendid, apparently we are humped either way!) and eating refined carbs.  

It's pretty amusing and there is really only one thing for sure, now matter what study anyone reads, there is almost always a study at the ready to contradict that very assertion.  I swear the only study I pay to anymore is based on the incredibly complex equation of "How are you feeling?  Good?  Sleep well?  Have enough energy to get through the day? Poop enough, but not too much?  Do you feel well most of the time? Don't get sick too often?"  set of questions and the biggest thing I've noticed is that everyone's answer tends to be different with just a few things in common: it's a good idea to try and make sure you get some fresh air and exercise and eat something other than a twinkie salad dressed with Doritos.  

I typed this while sitting, the entire time, Studies of the World! Mwhahahahaaha.  *thud*  Well, I probably had that coming. 

I'm in a silly mood, y'all :-)  

My favorites are the ones that come out at the holidays, which are almost designed to make anyone say "Oh forget this nonsense, pass the pie, there's no way to win."  One year I remember they tried to tell people, in multiple magazines with multiple articles, that over-indulging even once a year (a la Thanksgiving) was hugely detrimental to ones health.  That went over like a suggestion that we all drink poison.  Then the other favorite for many years was listing calories and how many hours on a treadmill they represented.  So a piece of pumpkin pie would say it was 75 minutes on a treadmill, and if you added whipped cream, well you might as well tie yourself to the thing.  

Those things tend to come and go based on how popular the strategy seemed to be.  I mean, the response to the "Sitting: Deadly or just filled with Doom?" study was the reality that A LOT of people have to sit at their jobs.  If that study was funded by the standing desk makers of the world, man did they ever waste their money in commissioning it.   I don't know how they missed the fact that when it's not a matter of choices within  a person's control, it's probably best not to emphasize it.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 4

Oh yes, sometimes I do tend to get caught in the Study Vortex, although I definitely am skeptical of most of the studies.  Yes, that was the study that claimed that sitting all day was as bad as smoking.   I actually think the main problem of a lot of these studies is the headline writers, not the actual scientists doing the study. They like "click bait" to get people to click on the story and read it .  And of course a lot of people don't read any further than the headline or the first few lines of the story, so just say "fuck it, why bother exercising at all."    Then the next week a study will come out that claims that all you have to do is run for 5 minutes a day, and you will lower your risk of premature death by 30%.   I did read that study, and further down in the article it was pointed out that no one in the study was actually running just 5 mintues a day, they just took the shortest amount of time anyone ran (35-40 minutes once a week) and divided it by 7, to get a nice low number.  

• Love 1

I love this topic and don't know why I just found it. The information here is so helpful and interesting.

I am a Fitness Blender junkie. There are other videos that are good but FB is so thorough and consistent.

Along with their workout videos, I've become addicted to meditation and my fave sound is the rainy nights one. The best one is It Was a Dark and Stormy Night. Even if you just listen to it but do not fall asleep immediately it will lessen the tension we normally fall asleep with. These I found on Youtube...

• Love 2

BizBuzz, I don't know if you are still looking for strength training ideas, but I started out with exercises from a book called "Body by You" by Mark Lauren. I really like it because I can do all the exercises at home and it does not need any equipment, and actually really doesn't take that long. I have been doing it for two years and really have not got much past the basic exercises, but considering I never used to exercise or play sports at all, I am much stronger than I used to be, and it really does develop muscle more than the exercise bike we have. The beginner stuff is also easy to do, and the program steps you up very gradually. I find it pretty laid back and enjoyable. The idea is that you are using your own bodyweight to work against instead of equipment or dumbbells, and my routine only takes about 35 minutes 3x a week.

I will say, however, that I recently discovered the program is Deceptively Evil. Because you are always working against your own bodyweight, gaining ANY weight immediately equals more effort. So, (apparently, I am not the sharpest tool in the drawer) when I resumed exercising after a vacation and things seemed slow going...that finally dawned on me the third rep into my routine, I'm like "Fudge! Sneaky!"

• Love 2

Do any of you use the Leslie Sansone "Walk at Home" DVD's?  I've been using several of hers over the last few years, and I like them. 

I have hit a serious wall when it comes to working out.  I try to do something every day, whether it's the DVD's, walking 40 minutes outside, or doing a Wii Fit workout (yeah...I still like my Wii Fit.)  I lost 25 lbs.several years ago, but I can't get any results at all right now.  Very frustrating. 

I am a big fan but found out there are discrepancies in the number of miles actually walked. it's a pretty signigficant difference. I measured with a regular pedometer and then with the iPod app. I must say that using LS WALK DVDs helped tremendously with getting me used to setting aside the time to work out. As noted, any movement is better than none. And I also have to confess that quitting smoking added on pounds quite fast and my body went through the detox phase. I didn't gain weight from over eating but more as a result of quitting. It's just that smoking inhibits gaining.

Edited by ethalfrida

Check out Ernestine Shepard, the 78 year old body builder... Apparently, after search there are tons of senior body builders with great bodies. I would have posted the link but still can't figure out how to copy links on the tablet.

• Love 2

Check out Ernestine Shepard, the 78 year old body builder... Apparently, after search there are tons of senior body builders with great bodies. I would have posted the link but still can't figure out how to copy links on the tablet.

Ernestine Shepherd is one of my heroes :)

I'm really happy this week - I've made it back up to being able to run 3.1 miles, which is great since I'm signed up for a 5K in 2 weeks!  My time is appallingly slow, but I'm not out trying to break any speed records, just trying to get/stay fit and enjoy myself.  This week was the first time I've been able to go the full distance without stopping, and I've done it twice - yay!!

Now I need to get my potato chip binges under control so I can get my weight down a little more - I suspect my times will improve when I'm not hauling around a bunch of extra pounds...

• Love 3

My time is appallingly slow, but I'm not out trying to break any speed records, just trying to get/stay fit and enjoy myself

This is what I'm doing too.    I was able to run a couple of days last week when it was cool, but then it got hot again so I stopped.  It's supposed to start getting cooler tomorrow, so I can try running.  I really have trouble running in hot weather.  I do have a treadmill at home, so I can run inside, but I prefer "real" running.  For exercise indoors I do a sort of cross training workout called Nike Fitness Club, but I also like to run.  

• Love 2

Nike Fitness Club stopped uploading info from my iPod to their site. Bummer. I run almost daily also. Our community college and city parks offer excellent fitness opportunities. I am enrolled in weight lifting and stretching/relaxation classes at the college. August was a really hot month so I had to run at 7PM or a little later. But now it's cooler and will be getting dark earlier so another adjustment will have to be made. 

So why don't we older fitness addicts post what gains we've made along with any other intresting info that can be shared? Would that be a separate category?

edited because my tablet likes it's own way of punctuating and spelling...

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 1

So why don't we older fitness addicts post what gains we've made along with any other intresting info that can be shared. Would that be a separate category!

This sounds like a great idea.  I think it could be a separate category, or just part of this one.  

I am sincerely interested in reading about the advances we, as older workout addicts, have made. What has been the biggest change in your body and health since you started?

And since I am on the desktop I can post a photo of one of my inspirations:

http://www.lostateminor.com/2013/06/25/77-year-old-female-bodybuilder/

It never occured to me to take working out seriously until a year or so ago. Before then I would take walks, park the car further away from my destination and do the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos. But having a desk job all of my adult life and then getting into computers didn't help much.

So I joined a gym, received personal training and nutrition tips. Discovered the rise of GMOs and how our food contained so very many chemicals so what I ate and how it was prepared changed. Also, there was never a weight problem until I quit smoking. Eating habits didn't change at all. It's just that smoking inhibits gaining. 

So, cutting to the main thought, I lost 30 pounds in the three months I was at the gym. And because we had to run a block and a half for warm up and then around the block three times at the session's end, the love for running started. At first I couldn't run two doors down without getting out of breath so I worked on that by running the walk trail by my house. Just picked a tree further and further away from the starting point unitl one day I was able to run the entire length without stopping. At the end of the three months I could run it several times without stopping. Then was able to do a 5K.

Of course, like many of my friends on this board, I am not saying I am fast or able to lift 100 pounds! It's just that the progress has been significant and the endurance level has risen. I hope I can be like the 100 year old who finished a 50 yard dash.

I think it is wrong for the schools to not teach that being older means you have to be physically incapable. We have an obesity epidemic among children these days and its like everyone, including parents, are ignoring it. Take a look at the link above and see what can be done at age 78. I don't get how they can teach self esteem at 10 AM in the classroom and then counteract that with promoting unhealthy habits.

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 3

I think it is wrong for the schools to not teach that being older means you have to be physically incapable. We have an obesity epidemic among children these days and its like everyone, including parents, are ignoring it. Take a look at the link above and see what can be done at age 78. I don't get how they can teach self esteem at 10 AM in the classroom and then counteract that with promoting unhealthy habits.

So true.  I got my black belt in karate at 41.  

• Love 3

About a year and a half ago I got my physical results and saw that according to my BMI, I was was formally "obese."  I'm 5'8 and at my heaviest I was 225, so I was definitely overweight but seeing that word on my record did it.  I decided to do it right this time - to try to make sustainable, healthy changes.  I started out swimming laps and counting every calorie I ate, to really train myself as to how many calories are in things and what a real portion size is.  About 4 months into it I went fully vegan - I was eating mostly that way anyway, and my philosophies about animals align pretty strongly with a vegan diet.

I started running about 5 months in, and I got to the point of running a 5K last year.  I let my endurance go over the winter, then had some crazy busy schedule issues this spring/early summer so got back to it seriously at the beginning of July.  So only 2 months this time to build up to a 5K - it took me 5 months last year!  My goal now is to not let it slide over the winter.

I'm down about 40 pounds from my heaviest, and have maybe 30 to go.  But I've been focused on trying to be healthier rather than trying to lose weight.  I'm pretty happy that even when I really am not watching my food intake as much, the higher activity level has kept my weight pretty stable.  I am 45 and am the most fit I've been since my early teens, but I want to feel better at 50 then I do today!

• Love 4

About a year and a half ago I got my physical results and saw that according to my BMI, I was was formally "obese."  I'm 5'8 and at my heaviest I was 225, so I was definitely overweight but seeing that word on my record did it.  I decided to do it right this time - to try to make sustainable, healthy changes.  I started out swimming laps and counting every calorie I ate, to really train myself as to how many calories are in things and what a real portion size is.  About 4 months into it I went fully vegan - I was eating mostly that way anyway, and my philosophies about animals align pretty strongly with a vegan diet.

I started running about 5 months in, and I got to the point of running a 5K last year.  I let my endurance go over the winter, then had some crazy busy schedule issues this spring/early summer so got back to it seriously at the beginning of July.  So only 2 months this time to build up to a 5K - it took me 5 months last year!  My goal now is to not let it slide over the winter.

I think that is so fab, RescueMom! Counting calories really helps keep things on track, doesn't it? Did you discover that sometimes it was hard to get in all the calories you needed depending on what you were eating. But at 5'8", 225 is hard to picture as obese.

• I had a friend, bless his heart, who was around 5'8" but weighed at least 600 pounds. May he rest in peace but he just couldn't do anything about his size. We only had a discussion once about it and he brought it up but I could see then he was not of that mindset. He stated that he was going to start lifting weights. I asked him if maybe he would be more successful if would see food/eating in a different way. That is where he wanted to argue the point so i left it alone. One of the t hings I saw him do was use a whole bottle of salad dressing on a salad. That disturbed me greatly. So I can kind of relate to the difficulty of the struggle to lose weight through my relationship with him.

I also learned that some take-out places have calorie charts making it easier to choose wisely. I know you are vegan so some places are of no interest to you. However, places like El Pollo Loco have these huge salads for under 500 calories if you eliminate the dressing but even with the dressing they are great for the diet. 

Like you, I'm not on a diet per se but more a way of watching what I eat. Nothing with corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, no GMOs, no carrageenan. Basically organic but if not able to get the organic product I will settle for traditionally grown and wash the heck out it before eating. 

So, do you live in an area that has severely cold weather? What time of year do you get to go back outside? 

What brand of running shoes do you use?

So true.  I got my black belt in karate at 41.  

That is exactly what is cool! It would not occur to some of us to even start at that age. Are you still doing it? What do you do with Karate after you earn your black belt?

• Love 1

That is exactly what is cool! It would not occur to some of us to even start at that age. Are you still doing it? What do you do with Karate after you earn your black belt?

Thanks!  I'm currently training for my second degree black belt test in November.  

• Love 3

counting every calorie I ate, to really train myself as to how many calories are in things and what a real portion size is.

I did this to when I lost weight (35 pounds).    I always cooked all my meals, but I never really paid attention to portion sizes.   When I started counting all the calories I ate, I checked the size of say, chicken breast cutlet I was cooking.  The recipes typically call for  four  4 to 6 ounce chicken breast cutlets, and so I would just use four cutlets, without bothering to check the size.   When I weighed the ones I got from the supermarket, I was shocked to find out that they were each at least 8, ounces, some times as much as 12 ounces, so I was actually taking in more than twice as many calories as the recipe indicated.   Recipes with whole chickens usually call for a 3/12 to 4 pound chicken.  The smallest chicken in the stores is over 5 pounds.  Same with pork chops.   So now I weigh everything I buy when I get it home from the store, when wrap it up, and label it before I put it in the freezer.  That way i can adjust the amount of meat needed (so, say two 12 ounce cutlets instead of four 4 ounce ones. )  

When I was younger, I never had a problem with weight, I weighed 95 ponds in college.  But as I got older, my metabolism slowed down and I gradually started to gain weight.  I was never obese, but at  55 I had my stats done and found out I weighed 152 pounds (I'm 5 foot 1).  This put me on the edge of obesity.  

I never really stuck to any exercise routine when I was younger, I would join a gym or get a workout video  and  exercise for a while, but I would quit after a few months.   I finally found an exercise routine I liked (Nike Fitness Club) and stated doing a 45 minute routine every day.  I lost a pound a week ( I was using an on line program to keep track of both calories and exercise).  I've kept off most of the weight I lost (I gained back 5 pounds from my lowest weight) but I've kept a good, healthy weight for 3 years.   I now do the Nike workout every other day, and walk extra or run on the alternate days. 

Edited by ALenore
  • Love 2

So, do you live in an area that has severely cold weather? What time of year do you get to go back outside? 

What brand of running shoes do you use

I'm in Minnesota, so we definitely have severely cold weather!  Getting outside really depends on the winter.  I have cold-weather clothing so can run outside even when it is pretty cold, but last year it was either so brutally cold that it was dangerous to be out at all (any skin showing would be in danger of frostbite within minutes) or so snowy that you couldn't get through it.  It was the worst winter I can remember in a long time.  I have a treadmill inside so the cold weather is really no excuse, but like someone else wrote above, I have trouble motivating myself on the treadmill.  The enjoyment I get from running is partially due to getting outside in the fresh air.

Right now I'm using Adidas shoes.  I have a small locally-owned running store that I go to for all of my running gear, and they watch you run and set you up with the shoes that are the best fit for you.  I highly recommend that to anyone thinking of running - having the right shoes is vital to avoiding pain and injuries.

• Love 1

I'm really happy this week - I've made it back up to being able to run 3.1 miles, which is great since I'm signed up for a 5K in 2 weeks!  My time is appallingly slow, but I'm not out trying to break any speed records, just trying to get/stay fit and enjoy myself.  This week was the first time I've been able to go the full distance without stopping, and I've done it twice - yay!!

That's awesome!  I've always been a crap runner, but decided about a month ago that I should make use of our treadmill.  I followed a learn to run plan on Pinterest, and now I can go for almost an hour without stopping - first time in my life!  I am also appallingly slow, and I don't care.  :)  

I think I'm alone in loving the treadmill, I hate running outside.  I park my loptop in front of it and watch a playlist of favorite videos.  I live in Canada, so it's either way too hot or really cold, not a lot of in between.  I don't really think I'd mind running in the cold, there are tons of people who run outside even in -30, it's the ice that bothers me.  No thanks.  And no thanks to the -30 either. 

Edited by briochetwist
  • Love 2
It was the worst winter I can remember in a long time

I live in Connecticut, and last year was horrible for me too.   it wasn't mainly the cold, (though that was bad enough), it was that we had 2 feet of snow that stayed on the ground for over 3 months, covering the area I walk to work through (It's a field which leads to a cemetery, the cemetery is usually eventually cleared, but they don't always get to it right away).   My wonderful husband cleared a path through the field, but it was a narrow path that got iced over whenever we got new snow or some of the snow melted.  This meant I had to walk with cleats on to keep from falling and breaking my neck, even  with cleats I had to walk slowly, running was out.     I did use the treadmill during the winter, but I much prefer walking and/or running outside.  

• Love 1

You all have some environmental adventures going on! That ice sounds scary, Alenore. 

Briochetwist, when you say hot how hot does it get in your part of Canada?

Thanks for the shoe advice, RescueMom. I checked out some local shops online and can't wait to get a proper fitting shoe. I bought some that I thought we the right ones because I listened to the sales clerk. However, after getting them home and trying them out it was clear more thought should have been paid to the color and design. I have Ronald McDonald feet. Huge, white and neon orange and gray shoes that you can see miles away.

Since we are still having summer weather I ran right after I got up instead around 6 in the evening. By the time I warmed up it was 78 degrees! That was around 9 am. Could only do 3 1/2 miles and was very happy to get home. 

• Love 2

ethalfrida you might want to check out Altra running shoes.  They have a specially wide toe box.  I don't have any problem getting running shoes that fit, but my husband does, he's got very wide feet, usually has to get a 4E width.  He just bought a couple of pairs of Alta shoes and really likes them because they don't put pressure on his toes.  

Thanks bunches, Alenore. Well, I don't have wide feet. Actually they are kind of narrow. I do wear a size 9 though and those Sauconys just made them longer and rounder at the toe than necessary, lol. Plus the clerk said to get them a half size larger. I really trusted her to know what she was talking about but online research would probably work loads better before purchase.

• Love 1

Briochetwist, when you say hot how hot does it get in your part of Canada

There were a lot of days that were over 30 degrees Celsius, so I think that's around 90 degrees Fahrenheit.  Maybe not super hot for some, but for my pasty white self, it's torture.  In winter, we have a lot of -30 degree weather, which is probably around -26 degrees F, but when you factor in the windchill, it's more like - 40.

Regarding calorie counting-- this is a little off topic, but I need to vent, please. "Diets", as in random pieces of advice gleaned from the great interwebs, are always saying to eat a handful of nuts for healthy protein. Well. I remember the first time I weighed out 1 serving of nuts on my kitchen scale and looking at the twee amount with great sadness and hunger. Twenty almonds that hog up 200 calories is not satisfying, diet-writing-up-people. It's a vehicle for salt, yes, but in no way makes you less hungry post-consumption.

• Love 2
Thanks bunches, Alenore.

Sorry, I just thought you might have wide feet.  My husband doesn't wear a large size, just 9 1/2, but he has to get size 4E width or the shoes hurt his feet.   A lot of times he gone to shoe stores and not been able to find anything in his size.

• Love 1
Here's why I love my treadmill, two days ago it was 75 degrees and I was enjoying the sun in the backyard.  This morning I wake up and it's 30 degrees and snowing!

Wow! How far north in Canda to you live?

It's supposed to be in the 70s this week in Connecitcut, so I'm looking forward to doing some running outside.   I know it will be only a few weeks before it gets dark too early after I get home from work  for me to run outisde.   Then I'll happily be using my treadmill.  

• Love 3

Not that far north!  I live in western Canada on the prairies.  It's likely that the snow will turn to rain and melt the snow, but still, depressing.  Having said that, just returned from grocery shopping and saw several people still wearing shorts and flip flops.  :)

• Love 2

Well I've reached the point where I can't just read anymore and now I have to post :)

I'm 27, and at 214 ( my highest  weight ever) I'm more motivated than ever to be healthier and keep on track.

I've used the various WiiFit games off and on for a year or so, but start to get tired of them, especially now in the warmer months where I'd rather be outside.  I try various workouts of squats, small arm weights and what now but I haven't really come up with a good routine yet.

What I have done quite consistently since August is go on runs with the Zombie5k app.  Today I finally made it to 5k, although that's always a mixture of running and walking, but hey exercise is exercise.  I love this app; it really motivates me to get  out there and go even when I don't feel like it.

My biggest challenge is eating.  I really need to do the food diary thing but haven't ever kept up with it.  Also I have a major sweet tooth.  A day without dessert just doesn't seem complete ;)

• Love 4
What I have done quite consistently since August is go on runs with the Zombie5k app.  Today I finally made it to 5k, although that's always a mixture of running and walking, but hey exercise is exercise.  I love this app; it really motivates me to get  out there and go even when I don't feel like it.

My biggest challenge is eating.  I really need to do the food diary thing but haven't ever kept up with it.  Also I have a major sweet tooth.  A day without dessert just doesn't seem complete ;)

Congratulations on getting to 5K - that is a huge accomplishment!!!  It took me a very long time before I could run that far without taking some walking breaks, but my rule of thumb is this: If you are exhausted, out of breath, and drenched in sweat at the end of your workout, you are getting a workout whether you run the whole thing or walk parts of it or just walk.

I'm with you on the food.  I don't have many vices left in my life, but binging on potato chips is the one I can't seem to rid myself of completely.  I like sweets but can eat a reasonable amount and then stop - not so with chips!  I have been trying to make "you can't out-exercise a poor diet" my new mantra.

• Love 2
I ran 4 miles this morning!  Before that, my longest run was 3.1, so I'm really, really happy that I broke through that barrier!!!

Congratulations!  Today I ran almost 4 miles, (3.8). The longest run I'd ever done before was 2.3, so I'm really happy to go past the 3 mile barrier.  I did a fairly good speed (for me) .   The nice cool weather is what enabled me to do the run.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow, but it's going to be nice Sunday, so I'm hoping to be able to do another good run.

• Love 2

Congratulations! It totally is a high point when breaking past limits.

I have a chip thing going too and the only thing I can do is to cut back on some other indulgence. 

When it comes to food, in general, what helped me was to stop drinking sodas as a first step.  At that time I didn't even know about the corn syrup and high fructose corn sryup they contained. That one thing took me down a whole dress size.

Then I became intrested in what our food actually contained and discovered that we are eating things that are not really feeding our bodies. So, in short, I try to eat well rather than eat less. No corn syrup or HFC, no carrageenan, no GMOs. No salad dressing unless I make myself. There are other things but I mostly eat the same foods, just better versions of them. 

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 2

So, in short, I try to eat well rather than eat less

I basically do the same thing, although I have cut down on my portion sizes.   I like to eat a large variety of diffrent foods, I could never be on one of those diets where you eat nothing but broiled chicken breasts and steamed vegetables.  I'm not much of a potato chip fan, but I do like sweets.   What I do is just limit myself to a small amount.  I love Trader Joe's meringues.  I know they have no nutritional value, but I have just 2 a night, which is about 50 calories.   It's just a little sweet treat I allow myself at the end of the day.   Even though I really like them, I rarely make brownies, since I wouldn't be able to stop myself from eating half the batch.   I generally make them only when I'm taking them to a party or we're having guests over . 

• Love 1

I've been known to have a bag of chips for dinner, but not since my son was born. I can't give him that for dinner, and he wants whatever I have. Since I have to cook for him, it's easier to cook for all of us.

I've quit drinking Coke at various times, but I just don't want to anymore. I know it's bad for me, but I want the caffeine. I also know I could get caffeine in tea (I hate coffee), but not without sugar, and it takes longer to make tea than pop a top on a can of Coke. Also, I just like the flavor. Even when I've gotten over the caffeine withdrawal in the past (and it's huge), I crave the flavor of Coke. I try to have just one can a day (which is worth 4 Weight Watchers points), but lately have been failing.

For those whondrink soda... have you tried different brands with fewer chemicals? Do the cola flavors have caffeine?

I drink Kombucha. It only has residual sugars. I learned to make it myself and it is tasty and totally satisfies the fizzy drink craving plus it is perfectly sweet. Of course you can buy it already made and bottled but making it yourself cuts out the "commercial processing". Adding fresh ginger to the bottle when making up your bottles gives you realmginger ale. Or vanilla makes cream soda. 

This forum is great for discussion. Question: when you speak of your successes to friends or acquaintances do experience a little shutdown from the listener? I am talking about them bringing up the subject of weight loss, nutrition and/or workouts. You listen and think that adding a bit about articles you have read, personal experience or whatever will make a good little discussion. But you find, not necessarily hostility, but a sudden lack of interest? I have learned to keep it short at those times. Since I like what we are doing as stated in our posts I am going to start a blog that's more of a diary. What are your experiences? Any similar?

• Love 1

This forum is great for discussion. Question: when you speak of your successes to friends or acquaintances do experience a little shutdown from the listener? I am talking about them bringing up the subject of weight loss, nutrition and/or workouts

I understand what you're saying because I get some of that from my sister. Sadly, we don't have the closest relationship so I guess it's to be expected, but I wish I could share my experiences with her & help.

My bigger problem with people is that my two closest friends are crazy fit & have never struggled with weight in their lives. One is a trainer who has 5 children & only looked pregnant after the 7th month with each one! She's been back to her normal body at 2 months after each baby. The other was previously a professional bodybuilder & while he's not as muscular now he's super fit. Even when I'm in the best of shape I feel a little like a mooing cow next to them. Add to that, the guy I've been chatting with recently is an avid, slightly fanatical, cross fitter & I kind of want to cry mercy & go eat a box of cookies dunked in ice cream.

• Love 2