Type keyword(s) to search

Exercise: What's Your Workout?

• Start Topic

You listen and think that adding a bit about articles you have read, personal experience or whatever will make a good little discussion. But you find, not necessarily hostility, but a sudden lack of interest?

I lost a fair amount of weight (35 pounds three years ago).  I never talked about it, but my coworkers did notice eventually and asked me if I was losing weight.  I told them what I did (keeping track of my calories in an on-line program, eating less, walking more, doing Nike Fitness Club workout).  They seemed interested at first, but when I told them I was losing 1 pound a week, they lost interest, they wanted to lose at least 5 pounds a week.  I didn't argue with them, just went on doing what I was doing.  They went on various fad diets, lost some weight, then put it right back on because they couldn't stay on those diets.  

Occasionally I do point something out to someone.  One of my coworkers showed me a drink she'd just bought "Vitamin Water".  She was really excited about it, thinking it was "healthy".  I looked at the label and pointed out to her how many calories it had, and that the bottle she bought was actually supposed to be 2 1/2 servings, so what she was drinking was really as caloric as soda.  This did not make her happy, she thought she'd found a healthy drink, and I spoiled it for her.   After that I didn't bother pointing this type of stuff out to people, even when it seems obvious (like Tropicana has a orange juice "50/50" which has half the sugar and calories of regular orange juice because it's half water. But it costs the same as the other orange juice. It would make more sense to buy a regular juice and just mix it with water. ) 

• Love 1

I have found my fit friends are very supportive.  My best friend is much younger, smaller, and fitter than I am - she has always been active and eats well - we started running around the same time and she's doing marathons now, while I still struggle with a few miles.  I go for store runs at my local running store that mostly consist of super-fit "real" runners.  I have found that every single runner I've met has been very supportive, and all of the advice I've been given is you can't measure your successes against someone else.  There will always be someone fitter, faster, stronger, younger, more stamina, whatever.  The idea is to do the best that you can do and not worry about what anyone else is doing.

I have had several of my not-as-fit friends not really want to talk about it - they'll say things like "I wish I had the motivation to do it" and I just say that until I really wanted to do it for myself, I didn't do it. Getting fit after a lifetime of not being fit requires mental and behavioral changes as well as physical, and it is very difficult to change how you've thought and acted for most of your life.  IMO, that is far harder than the actual exercise, cooking, etc.

I post regular updates on my Facebook page and have all along.  I am sure there are people who get sick of it, but I figure they can hide me from their feed if they want.  But I have had several people tell me that they have been inspired by my posts - I've posted all along how difficult it is for me, and how I'm at the back of the pack most of the time, but I'm still doing it and it makes me feel great.  One of my friends (older than me) is now an active runner who can kick my ass at a 5K and she credits me with getting her started.  Another much younger woman I know recently sent me a private message about how she's lost 20 pounds so far riding her bike - she credited my posts with giving her the courage to think of something she enjoys doing and then getting out there and doing it.  I'm nothing special, and I think that is why it resonates with some people - they know me, and they know I'm no different from them in that I'm not a natural jock, and they see that I've gone from being an unhappy physical wreck with my depression/anxiety out of control to a far more happy, balanced, fit person (both physically and emotionally).

One of my Facebook friends is a huge inspiration to me - she is a very fit, active, beautiful young woman, and she is at the gym working hard just about every day.  She posted about how one of her friends made a comment about how lucky she is to be in such good shape, and she was like "what luck?  I work my ass off for it."  And she does.  Honestly, anyone who is out there getting fit or staying fit is inspirational to me.  I see super fit people out running and I'm impressed by how hard they clearly work.  I see heavy people out running and I'm impressed that they are out there working so hard to get fit.

• Love 2

RescueMom I love your whole post.   My husband actually credits seeing how I got myself in shape as encouraging him to get in shape.  He's been running regularly for the past 5 months and has lost about 30 pounds and is wearing pants he grew out of several years ago.   I haven't ever really tried to persuade anyone else to get in shape, I figure it's better to (as they say) lead by example.   Obviously I can't really know what sort of problems anyone else has in getting fit, I only know my own body, so I'm not really out to judge anyone else.  I do offer suggestions if anyone asks, but most of the time they say that it wouldn't work for them because they don't have the time, they have bad knees, bad back, can't afford to go to the gym, whatever.   I do know that there are people who have managed to get in shape even with all sorts of obstacles.  I remember reading about one woman who just had a baby, lived in a small apartment on a busy road with no parks nearby so she couldn't walk outside.  She started running in place while watching TV, sometimes switching to dancing to music.  She lost something like 50 pounds in the course of a year, without going to the gym, buy a treadmill, or braving the outdoors.  

• Love 2

After that I didn't bother pointing this type of stuff out to people, even when it seems obvious (like Tropicana has a orange juice "50/50" which has half the sugar and calories of regular orange juice because it's half water. But it costs the same as the other orange juice. It would make more sense to buy a regular juice and just mix it with water. ) 

Or just drinking half as much juice. And, obviously, buying juice that is 100 percent juice, not juice and a bunch of added sugars. I know real juice has lots of sugar, but it at least does still have stuff that's good for you along with the sugar from the fruit. Of course, you could also just drink water and eat an orange (or apple or whatever other fruit), which would be even better for you.

• Love 3

RescueMom I love your whole post.   My husband actually credits seeing how I got myself in shape as encouraging him to get in shape.  He's been running regularly for the past 5 months and has lost about 30 pounds and is wearing pants he grew out of several years ago.   I haven't ever really tried to persuade anyone else to get in shape, I figure it's better to (as they say) lead by example.   Obviously I can't really know what sort of problems anyone else has in getting fit, I only know my own body, so I'm not really out to judge anyone else.  I do offer suggestions if anyone asks, but most of the time they say that it wouldn't work for them because they don't have the time, they have bad knees, bad back, can't afford to go to the gym, whatever.   I do know that there are people who have managed to get in shape even with all sorts of obstacles.  I remember reading about one woman who just had a baby, lived in a small apartment on a busy road with no parks nearby so she couldn't walk outside.  She started running in place while watching TV, sometimes switching to dancing to music.  She lost something like 50 pounds in the course of a year, without going to the gym, buy a treadmill, or braving the outdoors.  

Totally loving the husband part. What a neat partnership you must have. I bet he feels extra cool being able to wear those pants again.

The "reasons why" some people cannot get into shape are amazing, aren't they? That is when I quit talking too, lol. Like you, I can only acknowledge what I've accomplished through my lifestyle change. At first, I thought just saying a little bit would help jump start someone else who expressed an interest. Like saying, "a 1700 calorie diet keeps you very full as long as fast food isn't a really large part of it". Nope, don't want to hear it so I just don't say anything.

There ARE so MANY options for workouts. What is cool is when you discover you can do it without visuals. Then you feel really legit, lol. But putting the effort in to find your stride, your diet level, setting your new goals is something they'd enjoy immensely if only a little effort was put into it.

Thanks bunches for your post. Love your point of view.

• Love 1

The "reasons why" some people cannot get into shape are amazing, aren't they? That is when I quit talking too, lol. Like you, I can only acknowledge what I've accomplished through my lifestyle change. At first, I thought just saying a little bit would help jump start someone else who expressed an interest. Like saying, "a 1700 calorie diet keeps you very full as long as fast food isn't a really large part of it". Nope, don't want to hear it so I just don't say anything.

Yep, I don't make any comments or give any advice unless I'm directly asked for it.  And then I only talk about what worked for me.  Eventually you either get sick and tired of being sick and tired, or you don't.

• Love 1

Wow, I think of 1,700 calories as a lot. Unless I exercise way more than is possible (several hours a day at least), I can't eat that much and lose weight. I don't do super-low calories (actually, I don't count calories, but do WW points, but I have counted calories before), but really can't go much above 1,400 if I want to lose. I'm only 145 or so at 5'3", though, and people see me and say things like, "You don't need to lose weight." Except I do because I am above my ideal weight and am on the verge of overweight by BMI (and don't have enough muscle for that not to work for me) and also, I just don't feel as good as I would if I lost 10 more pounds. I was about 155-60 when I started this time. The first 10 pounds weren't so hard. The lower I get, the harder it is.

• Love 1

I lost a fair amount of weight (35 pounds three years ago).  I never talked about it, but my coworkers did notice eventually and asked me if I was losing weight.  I told them what I did (keeping track of my calories in an on-line program, eating less, walking more, doing Nike Fitness Club workout).  They seemed interested at first, but when I told them I was losing 1 pound a week, they lost interest, they wanted to lose at least 5 pounds a week.  I didn't argue with them, just went on doing what I was doing. 

One of my coworkers showed me a drink she'd just bought "Vitamin Water".  She was really excited about it, thinking it was "healthy".  I looked at the label and pointed out to her how many calories it had, and that the bottle she bought was actually supposed to be 2 1/2 servings, so what she was drinking was really as caloric as soda.  This did not make her happy, she thought she'd found a healthy drink, and I spoiled it for her.   After that I didn't bother pointing this type of stuff out to people, 

Exactly! All that you said. 

One of the things that is confusing is that different sites give you different figures for caloric intake for maintaining or losing weight. The Mayo Clinic says to maintain 133 pounds caloric intake is 2050 for very active people. I think very active is at least an hour each day of work out. Next it says moderately active is 1750. But other sites has it at 1700 tops for very active. 

One of the things that is confusing is that different sites give you different figures for caloric intake for maintaining or losing weight.

I agree, it is confusing.  Some of it may have to do with your age, as you get older your metabolism slows down.  But of course all of these figures are really just estimations.  I know that the only way to figure out exactly how many calories someone is burning is to have them wear one of those mask contraptions that measures what you're metabolizing. Scientists measure different people doing different exercises and try to extrapolate from these measurements how many calories are burned doing various activities, but I'm sure there is a lot of variation from person to person in how much you actually burn.   

• Love 2

You have a lot of positives going on. Your besties are fit and a new friend is fit plus you have your own program going. Are they supportive of what you are doing?

Thanks for asking! My friends want to be supportive I think, but aren't sure how. My girlfriend has 5 kids, works full time & volunteers at church & school. Her style of encouraging is saying she wishes I could train with her. I can't afford that right now. She tries to understand, but is 12 years younger than me & besides never having struggled with weight in her life has difficulty grasping the true change in metabolism that occurs as the 40's march onward. In the past couple of years that issue has become a real & frustrating thing.

My other friend would want to help if I asked, but he's got a full life & a young child & I really want to respect his time with his family. He has a side job where he gets paid to work up exercise & diet plans for aspiring body builders & he'd do that for me I'm sure. His answer is always a cutting program, as in get into ketosis & then lift heavy. I've used ketosis before but I can't sustain that long term. He's also 14 years younger than me (what's up with me & youngsters!) & has never been overweight. He's a sweetie & compliments me regardless of my size so that's a plus. I even think he'd work out with me, but going back to respecting his family I don't think that's fair because they're having to work hard on things working for them right now. If that makes sense.

As for the guy I've been chatting with? Boo! Hiss! We went out several years ago when I was super fit & a complete gym rat. I met someone, we lost touch & now I've changed. We were discussing meeting & I thought it wise to give him a heads up that I'm not as thin as he remembers. His response? "How disappointing, you used to be beautiful." Wow. That was the end of that.

It seems I'm just having a pity party over here. I lost a whole bunch of weight (120 lbs.) about 5-6 years ago. Then I met the son of satan & life exploded all around me. Since then I've lost my gym family, & honestly can't afford it right now anyway, & gained back about half what I'd lost. I've been trying but discovered exercising alone is seriously a grind. I'm going up have to noodle something else out. And I'm going to have to start caring again. My parents are in a tough situation right now & it doesn't look like it's going to get better. That is denting my ability to give a crappity crap about much.

Good grief! Sorry for the dissertation. If anyone made me through all of that I award you the Willing Reader Medal & a calorie free cupcake of your choice. ;) I'm now going to shut up!

• Love 1

I've been trying but discovered exercising alone is seriously a grind

For me, exercising alone is the only way I like to exercise. I've tried exercise classes, and I always feel clumsy, like I'm doing everything wrong and everyone is looking at me and laughing.  So I prefer to exercise alone, since no one can see if I'm screwing up.  

Good grief! Sorry for the dissertation. If anyone made me through all of that I award you the Willing Reader Medal & a calorie free cupcake of your choice. ;) I'm now going to shut up!

Don't feel that way, ramble, it's absolutely okay to vent. Some of this stuff is difficult and it's always physically challenging and the only people who really get it are people who are doing the same thing. Part of the reason I haven't been chiming in much here is that weight loss hasn't been a big part of my personal experience. I gained about 15 pounds when I turned forty, after being super thin my whole adult life and it really bugged me for a year. Then I did something sort of strange, I watched a season of The Biggest Loser, got a better mental handle on what a weight problem actually looked like in a life and just carried on.

Then for no reason I can name, I dropped that weight. I don't know why it happened, I think that "eh, hormones and your body just decides what it is going to do" are a bigger part of the equation than people realize.

But that's part of the reason I'm weighing in here. If you're on Facebook, look for groups in your area, or online groups that are about weight loss. It's super helpful to have people who can really relate to what you're experiencing. Whereas I'm sure your friends are wonderful, they aren't really going to get it. Empathy and sympathy are not quite the same thing and your friends are likely sympathetic, vs. empathetic. If you find groups online, there is a point of empathy that is really helpful in figuring it out.

Plus, in a LOT of areas there are regional groups you can join to have an exercise buddy. Join the Y, which is much cheaper than a gym but has a lot of the same equipment. Look at your local library for groups to join too. I'm in no way suggesting that you dump your existing friends, just that broadening your base of people you know is likely going to help. Younger, fitter people who ....by the way....do this stuff for a living aren't really going to be able to support you in the same way.

Basically you know how nearly every actor out there is insanely fit and toned? Well if we all had millions of dollars on the line, personal trainers and our actual livelihood as an incentive, most of us could figure out a way to look like Jennifer Aniston. The same thing sort of goes for personal trainers or nutritionists -- when you must do something to pay the rent, chances are you will.

So maybe look to people who are paying their rent through other means, and like you, are trying to squeeze fitness and nutrition into their lives in what amounts to their leisure time, vs. their paid time. They'll get the struggle at a level your "well, realistically, my friends do this for a living...so they have an incentive to do this that is actual survival" friends sort of can't.

Good luck, and you aren't having a pity party. You just might need some help and it's okay to ask for it.

• Love 1

I want my trophy and cupcake. That was very interesting reading. I feel the fight in you. Pity parties, IMHO, gives us the ability to recognize what hurts. Scrambling to get past that takes strength.

I suck at crafting, but I'm working on your trophy now. ;) Thanks for the support. I'm trying to remember how to fight effectively as opposed to wastefully. I did it before so I know I can do it again. I'm just a wee bit older. 

Do calorie-free cupcakes come in chocolate?

My (imaginary) calorie free cupcakes come in any & every flavor imaginable. Place your order & I'll (imagine) making it. 

For me, exercising alone is the only way I like to exercise. I've tried exercise classes, and I always feel clumsy, like I'm doing everything wrong and everyone is looking at me and laughing.  So I prefer to exercise alone, since no one can see if I'm screwing up.  

I used to love classes. I've tried so many & enjoyed them. Since I had to drop my gym membership I've missed that part. I liked the variety & the structure. Structure serves me well & I'm not the best at self-imposing it. 

Don't feel that way, ramble, it's absolutely okay to vent. Some of this stuff is difficult and it's always physically challenging and the only people who really get it are people who are doing the same thing. <snip>

Good luck, and you aren't having a pity party. You just might need some help and it's okay to ask for it.

Thank you! I didn't realize how much I needed to vent until I started writing. I tend to ramble (hence the name) & probably could be more concise but writing is an outlet for me so I outlet'd all over y'all. lol

Seriously thanks guys for listening to me & being so kind. :) I used to be a consistent exerciser & I enjoyed it, but now that so many circumstances have changed in my life I'm struggling to find a way to do that in my new reality. I know if I do & stick it out for a couple of weeks it'll kick in as a habit that I like again. I want to find that sweet spot again. Try & try again. That's what I'll be doing. 

• Love 5

So I had a lot of reluctant time off in August. I was a bit stressed in July and I hadn't run or done much exercise in spring and early summer. I decided to make working out more of a priority since I had the time. It was probably the most active and fit month of my life since becoming an adult. All my new found time meant that I started work out more which basically consisted at random times of swimming lessons, yoga, running and planks. Mainly the last two. I did a planks plan which ended with me holding a 4 min elbow plank (ugh), and now I do five mins of elbow, high, one legged or side planks. Planks are great for me because I don't actually really move much like yoga. I need a lot more strength training especially for my upper body, but I don't go to the gym, hate weights, and most strength exercises. 

I became a social runner last year and run all year round. I have met some wonderful people through running, but I don't always love it. In the last month, I've started running 3x a week. I think this is the first time ever that I've run this much and it has become addictive. I love running. I had a cold the other week and missed out on my weekend runs. Yesterday, I ran a 5K race and did the PB that I wanted. I do not run to be fast unlike my half or full marathon friends. I am doing Ragnar relay this weekend with some friends which will be another 17k in a day. I'm going back to running slowly and down to 2x a week. I' considering training for a half-marathon for the sake of it, but no race in mind. It's getting colder so going to hot yoga will be a priority as well. 

A bit random, but I bought the Grid foam roller earlier this year. Not sure how much it helps, but it does feel good in that awful painful way when I use it. 

• Love 2

A bit random, but I bought the Grid foam roller earlier this year. Not sure how much it helps, but it does feel good in that awful painful way when I use it. 

Ooh, I know what you mean! There is a video on Youtube that says instead of stretching use a rolling pin on your legs to get the blood circulating faster. The first time I tried it it felt so good hitting those kinks and knots. I almost made the rolling pin my new boyfriend. However, the warm up part works better if I do some stretching first. You can really tell the difference.

That plank program sounds good. Is there a link?

Oh God, I have one of those things. I finally just stopped doing the IT Band rolling, because it NEVER stopped hurting. Seriously, did it for a year and whereas I was assured it would eventually stop hurting, it only ever stopped making me yodel like the Swiss Freaking Miss under torture. It started out agonizing and eventually faded to "I think I might be able to not cry...maybe" painful.

So instead I just did yoga for my hips and hip flexors and figured my IT Band could go directly to hell and would remain forever tight.

But I still use the foam roller for other stretching and it's great.

Edited by stillshimpy

I used to love doing step classes at the gym, but eventually stopped going because ... driving, parking, changing, showering, changing, driving home ... it's like 3 hours of your day! Who has that kind of time, or patience?

So, after a MANY year absence, I finally got up off my ample arse and started working out at home, and discovered the joys of exercising alone! I really enjoy Leslie Sansone's walking workouts. They are excellent for getting back in the game because she's encouraging and genuine and not at all intimidating. I tried Gillian Michaels, who so many people rave about, but found her harsh and unpleasant. Leslie is great! Jessica Smith isn't bad either.

My best tip: schedule the workouts into your day and then just DO them - no excuses. Consistency is key, and before long, your jiggly parts become tighter, and you start to feel better.

Edited by deedee2
  • Love 3

Ooh, I know what you mean! There is a video on Youtube that says instead of stretching use a rolling pin on your legs to get the blood circulating faster. The first time I tried it it felt so good hitting those kinks and knots. I almost made the rolling pin my new boyfriend. However, the warm up part works better if I do some stretching first. You can really tell the difference.

That plank program sounds good. Is there a link?

I find rolling is a great warm up and cool down because your heart rate does go up a tiny bit. Your muscles do feel warm. I tend to roll, walk a bit, maybe stretch if I have time, then run. I always stretch after every run but I don't always roll. I try to roll on my off days.

My first plank program was basically doing a plank almost everyday for a month and working up from 20 secs to 4 mins. It took me a little longer than the plan to do 4 mins which I think is excessive but was great after I achieved it. Nowadays, I do this five minute plank pan which incorporates side and one legged planks. I really should do more push-ups as well. 

Oh God, I have one of those things. I finally just stopped doing the IT Band rolling, because it NEVER stopped hurting. Seriously, did it for a year and whereas I was assured it would eventually stop hurting, it only ever stopped making me yodel like the Swiss Freaking Miss under torture. It started out agonizing and eventually faded to "I think I might be able to not cry...maybe" painful.

So instead I just did yoga for my hips and hip flexors and figured my IT Band could go directly to hell and would remain forever tight.

But I still use the foam roller for other stretching and it's great.

It always feels uncomfortable. I don't know if it actually helps or I am just a little bit more use to the pain than the first time I used it. I had tears the first couple of times. As a runner, I've had to accept my IT band will always be tight I think. I do a lot of yoga stretches too so I'm covering my bases as much as I can. 

• Love 1
 ... driving, parking, changing, showering, changing, driving home ... it's like 3 hours of your day! Who has that kind of time, or patience?

All of that is another reason I was never a regular gym attendee.  At home it's easy, I don't even have to change my clothes if I'm walking, I just have to go out my back door and walk down the hill through the field, then to the cemetery adjacent to my backyard, where I can do a nice peaceful, comfortable walk  (or run).   If I'm doing my Nike workout I just pull on shorts, T-shirt and sneakers, and walk downstairs to my basement.   

• Love 2

I ran my 5K last Thursday night, and was pretty disappointed - I ended up starting out too fast so I had to walk for a minute halfway through and then run much more slowly for the rest of the run.  It was fine but some runs are good and some are not so good, and this one definitely fell into the "not so good" category. 

I was more dejected than I should be (can you say pity party?), so Sunday morning got up super early and ran the 5.4 mile route full of hills that has been my personal Everest for the last 1.5 years.  It took me 76 minutes but I ran the whole thing without stopping.  Up to that point my longest run was 4 pretty flat miles.  And I felt great while I was doing it up to the last 3/4 mile or so, after which I still felt great but a much more exhausted and pain-filled form of great :)

• Love 4

Congratulations Rescue Mom, it's a great feeling to accomplish a goal like that.   This Sunday my husband and I are going to meet up with a friend who is training for the New York City Marathon.  He and my husband are going to run around a nearby lake, a distant of 8 miles, twice.  They run approximately the same speed, so they'll run together.   I run much more slowly, so I'm going to try to run by myself around the lake once (I'll probably have to walk some, since I've never run 8 miles in my life, much less 16.   At least the run is flat, and very scenic.  

• Love 3

Congrats RescueMom! Way to go.

I asked a trainer why some runs are faster than others even the faster run was more difficult? The faster run was the one with hills and the slower one was flat. The trainer said just what you said, you started out wrong. There is always a run somewhere (so I've found) and you are sure to blast through them! 

• Love 2

Starting at the right speed is hard, but I've always felt it's better to start faster than you think you should. Of course, I was running competitively at the time, and Coach would get mad if you started too slow. It's easy to slow down if you start too fast, but if you start too slow, it's hard to speed up and get a better time. (But I run competitively even when I'm by myself because I do almost everything competitively even if I'm only competing against myself.)

• Love 2

Well, it is off to weight training today. I am missing a lot of running time due to the extreme temperatures this fall. Right now, it is 9:43 and 82 degrees. That means I have to do cardio via Youtube inside, lol. Weight training is a class at the local community college so it is inside and there are bikes. But I prefer outside. My little route covers a minimum of 3.5 miles and that is good enough for me.

Auntlada, if I had started earlier in life I would try the competitive running. That sounds so cool and to have a coach too...

Who is doing what today?

• Love 1

Starting at the right speed is hard, but I've always felt it's better to start faster than you think you should. Of course, I was running competitively at the time, and Coach would get mad if you started too slow. It's easy to slow down if you start too fast, but if you start too slow, it's hard to speed up and get a better time. (But I run competitively even when I'm by myself because I do almost everything competitively even if I'm only competing against myself.)

I agree that this makes a lot of sense, but for me the problem is that I don't realize I'm going too fast until all of a sudden I am nauseated or shaky or just completely devoid of any remaining energy.  Running doesn't come easily to me.  I need to consciously make myself slow down right from the start if I am going to be able to finish 3+ miles. 

After my big run Sunday I went out Wednesday but only jogged a mile and walked the mile back - I was still pretty tired out.  But this morning I was able to run 4 again, so I had a good start to my day.  Happy Friday, everyone!!

• Love 1

I went on a run around Lake Waramaug, a lake not far from me, with my husband and a friend who is planning on running the NYC Marathon.   Once around is 8 miles, he did 3 times around.  My husband was planning to go around twice but only managed once because his leg was bothering him.   He and my friend were running about an 8 minute mile.   I was able to make it all the way around, which is further than I've ever run.  I ran most of the way, but had to stop and walk at times because it was pretty warm (close to 80 degrees).  My average speed was only  12.75 minutes, but I'm really happy I was able to make it all the way around. I think I'm going to try longer runs.  

• Love 3

That's wonderful ALenore!

I like to do videos in my apartment. I've always preferred that method as opposed to the gym. My favorites are anything in The Firm series. Bonus if they're old and cheesy backgrounds. I got into amazing shape on these about 15 years ago.

They're what I call hard, but on most vids they have someone in the back right you follow if you're a beginner or just feeling a bit blah that day. I've been able to buy many I had on VHS on amazon on DVD. One of my faves is Super Cardio (it's cheesy background), but holy crap it kicks my butt.

• Love 1

That is so great, ALenore!! I also bumped my distance way up today - ran an 8.4 mile loop by my house. I went really slow but I made it. My running friends all said if you get to 3-4 miles you really will be able to run pretty much any distance because the skills you learn to go that far are the same as further distances, and I never believed them until recently. It's like something finally clicked.

• Love 4

I just checked out the Leslie Sansone walking workout and it looks great.   I generally prefer to walk or run outside, but that's not always possible.  This is something virtually anyone can do.  It's something I can recommend to friends who need a simple workout they can do at home. 

• Love 2

Congratulations, RescueMom!  There are all kinds of methods for increasing distance too (how many light/short days vs. longer) and tons of books on running methods (my husband really liked Qi/Chi and toe-running to help prevent injury), so those are things to check out too, if you are interested in being a distance runner. I hope your recovery day treats you well too! 

What always amazes and slightly unnerves me is how quickly de-conditioning sets in.  I took less than ten full days off following surgery in the summer.  By "off" I mean, I only walked as a form of exercise up to the ten day mark and I walked a lot, but I'm now back up to the fitness level I was the day before surgery.  The first time I did plie squats four weeks after and I swear I ended up in more pain from that then I did from having freaking surgery.  I seriously made involuntary sounds every time I stepped off or onto a curb in the days after *oof* , luckily I've since reconditioned , but if anyone ever wondered "What muscle group immediately starts losing fitness?"  for me it was clearly all the muscle involved in a plie squat.   Every time I sat down for three days afterward, I practically yodeled. 

It's only worth mentioning because I had abdominal surgery, but didn't have any real problems with feeling like I'd de-conditioned unduly  in my core.  

In almost unrelated news, every now and then I throw a kettlebell workout into the mix.  Apparently with just enough space in between to sufficiently forget that I don't actually tend to like kettlebell workouts in the aftermath.  Same "Wow, ow" issues only in my shoulders.  

All that just to say, I had always thought that eventually you just reach a level of fitness where you're mostly just maintaining fitness level.  I keep finding though that if I change anything to hit a different muscle group, I end up sore in the aftermath.  I am sure there are plenty of people who are genetically predisposed to being super fit, but I am here to tell you that I strongly suspect it isn't me. If I forget to target specific muscle groups for more than two weeks, apparently they give a great ,hearty cheer and begin the swift process of morphing me into my hidden ancestor: a Peep.  

• Love 4

I keep finding though that if I change anything to hit a different muscle group, I end up sore in the aftermath

This is definitely true.  I ran almost 8 miles yesterday, which I've never done before, but what's sore on me today is not the musles I used running, it's muscles I used the day before doing doing a Nike Fitness Club exercise I'd never tried before that worked out the buttocks muscles.   I find that if I do something even slightly different that has me using muscles I don't normally use, they hurt the next day.   Once I was doing filing in a low drawer, having to bend over most of the day.  My back was very sore for a couple of days after that.  

• Love 2

I just checked out the Leslie Sansone walking workout and it looks great.   I generally prefer to walk or run outside, but that's not always possible.  This is something virtually anyone can do.  It's something I can recommend to friends who need a simple workout they can do at home. 

Leslie has a few free workouts on youtube for those who want to try her out. I started with her 2 mile walk, and quickly graduated to the 5 mile advanced. Right now I'm alternating between her 5 mile advanced (with 3 lb handweights), and her 3 mile "walk to the hits" with some higher impact 20 second intervals. Another good interval workout is her 4 fast miles (also on youtube). This one gets the heart rate up pretty well. I used to do it regularly, but got kind of sick of it, lol.

You really don't get that "burn" with Leslie, and you likely won't feel much muscle pain the next day, but somehow, if you keep at it consistently 5-6 days a week, your leg muscles start to feel harder and look more defined. The thing about her workouts is that you get out of them what you put in. There's always a way to increase the intensity of her moves, if they become too easy.

Anyway, that's my little Leslie plug! Warning: she talks A LOT, haha. It can get very annoying after the 50th time hearing the same chatter.

Regarding calorie counting-- this is a little off topic, but I need to vent, please. "Diets", as in random pieces of advice gleaned from the great interwebs, are always saying to eat a handful of nuts for healthy protein. Well. I remember the first time I weighed out 1 serving of nuts on my kitchen scale and looking at the twee amount with great sadness and hunger. Twenty almonds that hog up 200 calories is not satisfying, diet-writing-up-people. It's a vehicle for salt, yes, but in no way makes you less hungry post-consumption.

Fat, fiber, and protein all have high satiety value. Meaning 100 calories of nuts (which is admittedly a teeny, tiny serving—kudos for using a food scale!) will keep you full much longer than a sugary 100-calorie snack pack.

FYI, there's a "Weight loss support group!" thread on the food board.

Leslie has a few free workouts on youtube for those who want to try her out. I started with her 2 mile walk, and quickly graduated to the 5 mile advanced. Right now I'm alternating between her 5 mile advanced (with 3 lb handweights)

Okay, so this is fairly funny. Today is a light/rest/active rest day for me , so I figured, "hey instead of going to walk the flood wall, I'll try that." So I searched youtube and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkMCetgP6oY

but in case all my posts here haven't given it away, I exercise kind of lot and very regularly. Usually six days a week barring disaster. Even on vacation I hit the hotel gym, so I thought, "Well, that might not be enough for me, so I'll do it at a light jog" and looking at the 71 minutes I figured I'd hedge my bets and use only two pound weights.

So...I guess tomorrow will be my rest/light/active rest day instead, because whereas that wasn't a super intense workout, I got nicely sweaty and around the sixty minute mark I was pretty darned aware that I would like to stop :-) Full disclosure, I was doing amp-up moves throughout, so with every knee lift or kick I'd be punching out with the weight and I was jogging for the whole thing...but that was a decent workout and I can absolutely see why she's so popular. She's very encouraging, it's not intimidating.

That's a great way to keep your heart rate raised and it's a small space workout, which is always nice for home workouts.

Thanks for that, it's always fun to try new things and candidly, I thought I would breeze through that, but towards the end I was pretty darned aware that I'd been in cardio mode for a good long while.

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 6

The Leslie Sansone workout looks like something I might be able to do when I'm on vacation and am not able to walk outside, which I usually do on vacation (like if I'm visiting in-laws in Florida or Texas in the middle of August).  I could to this kind of workout in my bedroom, watching on my laptop using blue tooth headphones.  

The Leslie Sansone workout looks like something I might be able to do when I'm on vacation and am not able to walk outside, which I usually do on vacation (like if I'm visiting in-laws in Florida or Texas in the middle of August).  I could to this kind of workout in my bedroom, watching on my laptop using blue tooth headphones.  

• Love 1

I went to the Adirondacks Ragnar relay race this past weekend. I did 11 miles/17.7k in three legs and it was mostly hills. I also did most of it at night or at dawn. It was beautiful. I live in a town located in a valley so I never really do hills on my runs, but I enjoyed it much more than I thought! I got a big confidence boost out of it since I hadn't run a 10k straight in months and definitely not with hills. I'm not even that sore now, but sleep deprived. I definitely will incorporate more hills into my runs and will seriously consider half-marathon training soon. I still have no desire to do a marathon though. ;)

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm also a supinator, although  not super-pronounced.  I like the Asic Gel Nimbus , which was the running shoe recommended for supinators (under-pronators) but I'm not normally a runner, so there may be a better running shoe than that one.  It works well for the high impact stuff I do and the light running.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

I've not been able to run for two weeks now, I injured my ankle. Turns out I'm a supinator, the opposite of overpronation. I need to buy different shoes now. Anybody else in the same boat? Any suggestions?

Go to a running store, and get a professional fitting.

• Love 2

Go to a running store, and get a professional fitting.

I tried that!  It was the $200 professionally fitted shoes that caused my ankle injury.  I was told that a very small percentage of runners (less than 5%) are supinators and that companies don't really make shoes for that problem.  A neutral running shoe with good cushioning is suggested, but it can be hit or miss.  Sadly, mine were a miss.

Sadly, mine were a miss.

Sorry to hear that, briochetwist. I hope you find the right shoe soon. Depending on which running store you go to, they will let try it out if you run on the treadmill and get a full refund if they don't work out. 

How's everyone regime? I have a sore right calf so I've been out the last couple of days. I ran almost nine miles Saturday and Sunday, but I think what did me in was the relative lack of sleep I've had lately and the contra dancing I did between the runs. I've never been to contra dancing and it is a great workout, but too much between my runs. I usually run on Wednesdays, but I think I may wait it out til Thursday for a super light 1-2 miles. I'll do some planks today to get some strength in. 

• Love 2

Today, my workout was mowing the backyard, which is sloped, with a push mower (in that it's not a riding mower -- it does have an engine and isn't one of those with just blades going around, but it's not self-propelled). Now my back hurts from pushing the mower. Mostly I go across the slope, but on the ends, I have to go up and down so I'll have room to turn by the fence.

• Love 1

Athena and Aunt Lada, 9 miles and slope mowing. That must have the cardio going! Do either of you wear a heart rate monitor so you know exactly how many calories you are burning?

I'm enrolled in two fitness classes Monday thru Thursday. Weight lifting and stretching/relaxation. Perfect combo. Haven't been able tomrun because t

of the heatwave. Right now it is 90 degrees and it's 5:30. 

I don't, ethalfrida. I don't have one. I've thought of getting something, at least a good pedometer, but haven't wanted to spend the money, particularly since all the products I look at, no matter how highly rated they are, always have lots of reviews that say, "This is the worst product ever. It broke immediately and never tracked my steps right." I've also considered fitbit or something like that, but don't want to get caught into a cycle of paying for something online every month.