Type keyword(s) to search

Bewitched - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's sad they had litle choice due to Dick York's worsening back injury. He missed more and more episodes each year until he took very ill on set and had to go to hospital. It was during the episode where Samantha's father changed him into a horse. If you look at the end, you'll notice they reversed the film to bring him back because he never came back to the set to finish the episode.

It was 18 months before he was somewhat recovered and then he rarely acted again, losing almost all of his money on bad investments. But I digress...

What made the Darrin change even more confusing to me as a young kid was that a few episodes later Sam announced she was pregnant but by the time Adam was born, Darrin #2 was around. To my child mind, it was like he was a fake daddy in place of the real daddy (York). I don't remember a proper announcement of the change and for years, the story behind York's departure was untold.

Having recently gotten into watching Dr Who and seeing how they've handled actor replacement with regenerations, I wish Bewitched had explained the change in Darrins with a spell that went wrong. It's interesting that both shows about otherworldly beings who could travel in time and area in a snap were on at the same time and faced replacing the lead male due to health issues.

I'd had loved it if they'd brought back York as soon as he was recovered, but it was probably too much of a risk that the back injury would relapse. 

In Dick Sargent's defence, it couldn't have been too easy. As much as Elizabeth Montgomery seemed fond of him, Agnes Moorhead was not accepting of him. She was quite pious and reportedly disapproved of Sargent's homosexuality. 

Edited by staveDarsky

I had heard that Agnes Moorhead and York had become close friends, and that was why she wasn't warm to Sargent. I also don't recall hearing about any bad blood between her and Paul Lynde, though of course that would have been behind closed doors.

To say nothing of the fact that her onscreen husband Maurice was also played by another gay actor -- Maurice Evans also preferred the company of men, as gay men of his generation would have said.

And it's ironic that Agnes was supposedly a bit of a homophobe, since for years there was a very popular rumor circulating about that she was a lesbian.  As I recall, her son finally put the kibosh on that one.

Okay, it's time for me to admit I can't tell the difference between the Darrens unless I see them in split screen. Even then, they sort of blur into one.

Edited by Lyndy
  • Love 2

Sargeant was totally the biggest dick. He had that "don't fuck with me, I'm WAAAAY better than you witches/warlocks" attitude going on. He also couldn't really play off the "OMG Larry Tate is on to me!" thing like York could.

I loved York. He was my favorite.

Okay, it's time for me to admit I can't tell the difference between the Darrens unless I see them in split screen. Even then, they sort of blur into one.

Same here. I honestly can't tell them apart.

Though both of them insisted their wife stop using her talent and give up her place in her society, so they tie in dickitude there.

Preach. Darren was an emotionally abusive jerk who married a witch then proceeded to shame her at every opportunity even as she used her powers to help him. York and Sargent are just two halves of the same dick.

• Love 1

Though both of them insisted their wife stop using her talent and give up her place in her society, so they tie in dickitude there.

Then again, Sam did marry Darren before telling him she was a witch.  So there was a little bit of her mother's dicketry in her.  

And she mentions first in premiere that she was going to give up magic before he asks her to, even before she told him she was a witch...on their honeymoon.  The idea was originally hers.  But Darren is a bit of a dick for insisting on it after finding out.

I've been watching the reruns on LOGO recently and couldn't help but notice how antagonistic Darren was towards Endora and Sam's other relatives in the later seasons, then became worse when Darren #2 showed up. I know it's just a TV sitcom, but it bugs me he behaves that way and gives them an excuse to do things to him, and he should know better after all those years.

• Love 2

I've been watching the reruns on LOGO recently and couldn't help but notice how antagonistic Darren was towards Endora and Sam's other relatives in the later seasons, then became worse when Darren #2 showed up. I know it's just a TV sitcom, but it bugs me he behaves that way and gives them an excuse to do things to him, and he should know better after all those years.

And they should know better than to keep doing things to him, when Samantha made it clear to them from the outset that she had chosen the mortal lifestyle with Darrin, period, end of discussion.  That's not just disrespecting him, it's disrespecting her.  it's also the definition of insanity -- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result each time.  Hell, I'd be continually antagonistic towards them, too, if they constantly persecuted me at every turn in spite of Samantha's repeated admonitions to them to knock it off because she had already made up her mind years ago that life with me was what she wanted.

• Love 1

Have to agree with the overkill on the Endora vs. Darrin stuff.  After sending Samantha and Darrin back in time three separate times to see if they'd still get married (what a shock, each time they would!) you would think Endora would get the hint and back off.

Actually some of my favorite Endora episodes are when she teams up with Samantha to fix a mess they've gotten Darrin into.  There was Eat at Mario's, where Sam's attempt to help an Italian restaurant loses him the "Perfect Pizza" account (who makes up these company names?!?)

And another early episode called "A Nice Little Dinner Party" is good.  In that one, Sam invites Endora over to dinner at the same time Darrin's parents come over.  Endora promises to be nice and she is so nice that she charms Darrin's father to the point where Darrin's mother decides to leave him.  So Sam and Endora team up to bring Darrin's parents back together.  A sweet episode, and you almost start to realize what on earth Darrin's father saw in that horrible woman he married.

• Love 2

I hated how they were always gaslighting or getting Darrin's mother drugged as a way to explain away her witnessing witchcraft.

Well, it served her right for being such an interfering busybody, just as it served Mrs. Kravitz right for being a snoop who didn't have the sense to mind her own business.

• Love 1

I hate Mrs. Stevens.  Such a sour puss.  Of all the in-laws, I think she is the most vile.  And considering she's up against Endora and Maurice that is a pretty big achievement.

With the Gladys Kravitzs, I love the first Gladys.  I don't see her so much as a busybody as a woman with a little too much free time on her hands.  So one day she happens to notice that two women are looking at the house across the street.  Like anybody, she looks out the window to check them out. And then a lawn appears.  Then a hedge, flowers, trees, and awnings.  And of course they disappear by the time Abner wanders over to look.  And so begins Gladys Kravitz' two year effort to try to convince her husband that something strange is going on in that house across the street.

But the second Gladys Kravitz--I hate her. Just nasty and snide and mean.  I hate to say that because the actress who played her (Sandra Gould) was always so charming and enthusiastic about the show in interviews but I really think the character took a downward turn when she took over.  I wish the producers had found some way of keeping Mary Grace Canfield on as Abner's sister.  

• Love 1

It seems the new series never came to fruition.  Interesting, since it could have been an opportunity to reexamine the universe.  It would also be interesting if we learned if Tabitha married a mortal or not (probably) and explaining where her witchy relatives are.  I also agree with Tabitha's daughter having a name ending with an "A".  It would be fitting if she were named Cassandra rather than Daphne.

On December 30, 2015 at 5:51 AM, henrysmom said:

I hate Mrs. Stevens.  Such a sour puss.  Of all the in-laws, I think she is the most vile.  And considering she's up against Endora and Maurice that is a pretty big achievement.

With the Gladys Kravitzs, I love the first Gladys.  I don't see her so much as a busybody as a woman with a little too much free time on her hands.  So one day she happens to notice that two women are looking at the house across the street.  Like anybody, she looks out the window to check them out. And then a lawn appears.  Then a hedge, flowers, trees, and awnings.  And of course they disappear by the time Abner wanders over to look.  And so begins Gladys Kravitz' two year effort to try to convince her husband that something strange is going on in that house across the street.

But the second Gladys Kravitz--I hate her. Just nasty and snide and mean.  I hate to say that because the actress who played her (Sandra Gould) was always so charming and enthusiastic about the show in interviews but I really think the character took a downward turn when she took over.  I wish the producers had found some way of keeping Mary Grace Canfield on as Abner's sister.  

I must agree on the Gladys observation.  When I was  a kid the B/W episodes weren't shown in syndication.  At least not in my area.  The only Gladys Kravits I knew was Gladys 2.0.  Having recently caught a few eps on COZI - TV recently, the differences between the actresses' portrayals of the character are stark!  Alice Pearce's interpretation of the character is the superior one.  

Today I caught the episode, "Toys in Babeland" and I couldn't help but think Endora's character was altered for sake of plot.  In the ep, Endora is babysitting Tabitha when she learns a major event was moved up to that day and she didn't want to miss it.  She conjures a babysitter out of a toy soldier then leaves!  Of course hilarity ensues when Tabitha learns to bring her other toys to life and holds a party in her room.  

I can't see Endora doing that.  Serena definitely but not Endora.  She adored her granddaughter too much to abandon her care to a toy.  

Strangely enough Serena appears the the following episode. Maybe the producers didn't want Serena to appear in two episodes in a row.

• Love 2

I agree with Endora's character being viewed differently after all these years.  There were times she was mean to Darrin but many times she was reacting to Dariin's attitude.  I think it would have worked if the two of them had calmed their feuding as the show went on.  Endora would accept Darrin as Sam's choice for a husband while Darrin would appreciate Endora's concern for Sam and their unique  lifestyle/upbringing.

I always preferred Dick York.  It was believe all that as frustrated as he was with Sam's magical connections, he still loved her.  Yes he could be a bit of a jerk in urging Sam to not use magic, but them chemistry between the two was there.  Dick Sargent seemed to not only dislike Samantha, but resent her.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I always preferred Dick York.  It was believe all that as frustrated as he was with Sam's magical connections, he still loved her.  Yes he could be a bit of a jerk in urging Sam to not use magic, but them chemistry between the two was there.  Dick Sargent seemed to not only dislike Samantha, but resent her.

Agree. And the irony is, the role was offered to Sargent FIRST. I can't recall why he wasn't able to accept it, but when York left, he was able and available.

Funny story and not technically show related, but years later, on the Super Password game show, hosted by Burt Convey, Sargent was one of th celebrity contestants and all the clues pointed to the name of the show being Bewitched!?

Sargent guessed it correct and mocked himself that it was good he got the answer right, considering he played Darrin on th show!?

Well, I remember thinking it was funny and laughing at the time, along with Sargent and Convey.

Sargent was already signed to co-star in The Tammy Grimes Show, so he had to pass on Darrin.  Personally,  I think if Sargent had been cast at the beginning the show wouldn't have been as popular as it was.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, magicdog said:

I must agree on the Gladys observation.  When I was  a kid the B/W episodes weren't shown in syndication.  At least not in my area.  The only Gladys Kravits I knew was Gladys 2.0.  Having recently caught a few eps on COZI - TV recently, the differences between the actresses' portrayals of the character are stark!  Alice Pearce's interpretation of the character is the superior one.  

Today I caught the episode, "Toys in Babeland" and I couldn't help but think Endora's character was altered for sake of plot.  In the ep, Endora is babysitting Tabitha when she learns a major event was moved up to that day and she didn't want to miss it.  She conjures a babysitter out of a toy soldier then leaves!  Of course hilarity ensues when Tabitha learns to bring her other toys to life and holds a party in her room.  

I can't see Endora doing that.  Serena definitely but not Endora.  She adored her granddaughter too much to abandon her care to a toy.  

Strangely enough Serena appears the the following episode. Maybe the producers didn't want Serena to appear in two episodes in a row.

The problem was that the "major event" was a party that was being thrown in her honor at the Taj Mahal.  Had she not been the guest of honor, she probably wouldn't have bailed.  It's kind of tacky, though, not to show up at an event that's being held specifically to honor YOU.

• Love 1

Sargent was already signed to co-star in The Tammy Grimes Show, so he had to pass on Darrin.  Personally,  I think if Sargent had been cast at the beginning the show wouldn't have been as popular as it was.

Which is even more ironic, since Tammy Grimes had been the original choice to play Samantha, but she also declined the offer.  That's how Elizabeth Montgomery got the part.

Just caught an episode in which Endora loses her powers and finds herself temporarily dependent on Sam & Darrin.  Despite the honest fear and depression that gripped Endora (since it would be a while before the problem was solved) Darrin was still rather mean to Endora and at one point suggested she stay at an old folks home!   I really think the writers blew a great opportunity here.  They could have had Endora a bit more understanding of living like a mortal and Darrin certainly could have been much kinder to her and sympathetic to her dilemma. We could have had some great scenes of the two coming to a sort of understanding and perhaps  she could have become more accepting of him and why Sam loved him.   It's not as if sitcoms didn't mix serious moments with comedic ones before.

Just caught an episode in which Endora loses her powers and finds herself temporarily dependent on Sam & Darrin.  Despite the honest fear and depression that gripped Endora (since it would be a while before the problem was solved) Darrin was still rather mean to Endora and at one point suggested she stay at an old folks home!   I really think the writers blew a great opportunity here.  They could have had Endora a bit more understanding of living like a mortal and Darrin certainly could have been much kinder to her and sympathetic to her dilemma. We could have had some great scenes of the two coming to a sort of understanding and perhaps  she could have become more accepting of him and why Sam loved him.   It's not as if sitcoms didn't mix serious moments with comedic ones before.

Don't forget, though, that Darrin did sincerely apologize to Endora after she got her powers back.  She asked him why he was being so nice to her all of a sudden when he'd done nothing but gloat during her illness, and Samantha jokingly answered that after finding out what it was like to have Endora as a typical mortal mother-in-law, Darrin simply decided that he liked her better as a witch.

And Endora gave as good as she got while she was powerless.  Remember the scene where she was trying to rest out on the patio while Darrin was working, and she kept getting on his last nerve with her "Durwood, help me!" bit?  Check out the look on her face at the end of that scene.  She KNEW she was driving him crazy, and she loved it!

As for Endora having any sort of understanding of living like a mortal after being forced to spend a few days without her powers?  Forget it.  Endora made it clear when she first met Darrin that she did not approve of Samantha's decision to live like a mortal and would never accept it because, as she told Darrin point-blank, "What you consider normal is to us asinine." She simply didn't care about the mortal "lifestyle" or that Samantha's decision to do things the mortal way (which really was HER decision, by the way, not one that Darrin had made FOR her) had at least one very practical benefit: If Samantha ever permanently lost her powers, she'd never be as helpless as Endora, who was completely dependent on her own powers, was during her illness or as incompetent as Aunt Clara was and Esmeralda would later prove to be.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 3:15 PM, pandora spocks said:

When I watched Bewitched as a kid, Endora's wardrobe and jewelry seemed outlandish. Now I envy her flowing gowns with bold print and her oversized necklaces and bracelets. Now her garish makeup I could do without!

I always LOVED Endora's outfits & makeup!! She was such a hoot to me, even as a kid. Reflecting now, she reminds me of my outlandish granny!!! <3

• Love 1
On 7/2/2014 at 8:04 PM, pandora spocks said:

It's funny how time and maturity changed my perspective of Endora.  When I was a child during Bewitched's original run on TV, Endora seemed like quite the bitch.  I even rooted for Darrin.  Fifty-odd years later, I view Darrin as an oppressive asshole and Endora as a fun-loving gal who wanted Samantha to have better in her life than living the "mortal way."  I guess my opinion change stemmed from seeing enough oppressive assholes in my personal and professional life.  A well-placed zap would have came in handy.

When I watched the series as a kid, I found Darrin to be oppressive. What right did he have to tell his wife that she couldn't use her awesome witch powers? It seemed like classic '60s sexism.

But then I saw the pilot, and realized that she married him without telling him that she was a witch. And that he agreed to stay in the marriage after she revealed the truth because she promised him that they'd have a marriage free from witchcraft.

In light of that, I think he was perfectly justified in expecting her to follow through on what she promised him. (And she really shouldn't have made that promise, knowing what her family members were like.)

• Love 2
On 7/5/2014 at 2:08 PM, Blergh said:

All that said as malevolent as Endora could be, she was easily the most interesting and fun character, IMO- and it's to the show's credit that they respected Sam's bond with Endora enough to scuttle the idea of having the Darrin Switch be from Endora's spell with only the viewers but not Sam knowing.

Because such an explanation would have been as preposterous as it was unnecessary.  This wasn't the first time that a role on the show had been recast (Louise Tate, Gladys Kravitz, and Frank Stephens were ALL recast with different actors just a few years into the show's run, for various reasons), and there had been no in-show explanations given for any of those earlier cast changes.  So why on Earth did some people think that an in-show explanation for replacing Dick York with Dick Sargent was necessary when none had been given plot-wise for any of the three previous recasts?

When Dick York was forced to quit due to health reasons, the show had only two choices:  Recast the role or write Darrin out permanently, probably by killing him off or having him constantly be away on business. The show went with the easier option and recast the role with the one actor who, as fate would have it, had been the producer's original choice for the role, Dick Sargent.  The only reason Dick Sargent didn't play Darrin from the start was that he was unavailable at the time because of a prior commitment (ironically, it was for a show where his leading lady would have been the Bewitched producers' original pick for Samantha, Tammy Grimes). Had Dick Sargent been available from the get-go, there never WOULD have been any controversial recast, because he would have ALWAYS been the one to play Darrin. 

Edited by legaleagle53

I think it would have been quite cool had Elizabeth Montgomery herself stepped on the Bewitched set, then said something close to the following:

"Hello, I'm Elizabeth Montgomery. For the past five seasons  the part of Darren was played by Dick York. For reasons I'm not detailing, Mr. York will no longer be on the show but we wish him all the best on his future endeavors. There'd be no show without a Darren so, without further ado, I'd like everyone  to welcome Dick Sargent who will be playing the part from now on! We hope you keep enjoying the show!"

Then Mr. Sargent could have walked onto the set and the two of them could have bowed before the audience, walked offstage, then the new credits could have started and the new show (and season) could have commenced.

• Love 3

When I was in school, had I had powers, I would have used them to get out of class.  I'd telepathically pull the fire alarm, use chalk to write on the boards and freak out the teacher, or have notes show up saying I needed to be excused from class.  In other words, I'd abuse my powers and not really do anything good with them.  Now that I'm an adult, I can say that my house would always be spotless and I would always have amazing meals on the table. Also, I always loved the way that Samantha and Endora would pop out to Paris or Rome for lunch in the middle of the day and can see myself doing that as well. And, since I hate driving places, I'd be sure to take advantage of the ability to pop over to my destination without having to drive in a stuffy car with bad drivers all around me.  Oh, and I'd save a ton of money of clothes and hair because I would just zap up something cute to wear and use my powers to have my hair look however I desired.

• Love 3
On 6/28/2014 at 9:17 PM, CherryAmes said:

Absolutely agree Chai. Aside from the relationship with Samantha I always felt that underneath it all the Dick York Darrin actually liked Samantha's family -with Dick Sargent it was as if he hated them. 

Add me to the club.  Dick York was able to play Darrin as a man who loved Samantha and just didn't like when her family insulted or messed with him.  Dick Sargent seemed to hate any and everyone including Samantha. He was just so angry all the time. I don't know if that was his acting style, a choice for that specific role, or if he was directed that way, but I didn't like it at all. I usually skip his episodes except for a select few.

On 7/15/2014 at 11:12 PM, SilverShadow said:

...Basically the only post-season 3 episodes I like are the ones with unique plots or a focus on Serena, Maurice, Uncle Arthur, or Tabitha.

The episode with Boyce and Heart and Serena as well as the one where Samantha, Uncle Arthur, and Serena lose their powers so the latter two end up working at an ice cream parlor making chocolate dipped frozen bananas are two of my favorites.  Other than that, I stick to the earlier seasons.

On 12/24/2014 at 11:08 AM, SilverShadow said:

I had heard that Agnes Moorhead and York had become close friends, and that was why she wasn't warm to Sargent. I also don't recall hearing about any bad blood between her and Paul Lynde, though of course that would have been behind closed doors.

I read somewhere that the first time Agnes Moorhead and Dick Sargent were to shoot a scene together, she looked straight at him and said, "I don't like change." Then supposedly they went on with the scene.

On 12/30/2014 at 6:05 PM, legaleagle53 said:

To say nothing of the fact that her onscreen husband Maurice was also played by another gay actor -- Maurice Evans also preferred the company of men, as gay men of his generation would have said.

And it's ironic that Agnes was supposedly a bit of a homophobe, since for years there was a very popular rumor circulating about that she was a lesbian.  As I recall, her son finally put the kibosh on that one.

I remember Debbie Reynolds also denying it.  She and Agnes Moorehead were very good friends.  Debbie said that she believed the rumors got started because Agnes was very devout in her faith and didn't fool around.  In a rather promiscuous Hollywood, this lead people to believe that she didn't enjoy the company of men but that simply wasn't true. All of the rumors seem to have started because of a book written about all of the homosexuals on Bewitched where the author said it was "common knowledge" that Agnes Moorehead was a lesbian, but didn't have anything to back that up. 

• Love 1
On 3/11/2018 at 11:23 PM, Blergh said:

For the past five seasons  the part of Darren was played by Dick York. For reasons I'm not detailing, Mr. York will no longer be on the show but we wish him all the best on his future endeavors.

I think that would have been problematic and invite more questions than it would quell. It sounds a little frosty.  Maybe it's just the way I'm reading it, but that reads like it's hinting that York was let go for cause or some conflict. Or it could be that I'm reading it in a post-Roseanne environment. 

• Love 2

vb68,

Possibly but the way they did it re just having Mr. Sargeant jumping in to to depict Darren before the new credits even rolled without any kind of announcement or oncamera explanation did itself invite more questions than otherwise. Yeah, my proposed oncamera explanation may have hinted at some cause or conflict but it would have told the barebones truth without spelling  out who did what or why things happened.

On 5/31/2018 at 7:57 AM, Blergh said:

vb68,

Possibly but the way they did it re just having Mr. Sargeant jumping in to to depict Darren before the new credits even rolled without any kind of announcement or oncamera explanation did itself invite more questions than otherwise. Yeah, my proposed oncamera explanation may have hinted at some cause or conflict but it would have told the barebones truth without spelling  out who did what or why things happened.

I don't see why it would have invited any questions.  As I pointed out upthread, this was the fourth time a character had been recast on the show, and there had been no explanation given for why Louise Tate, Gladys Kravitz, or Frank Stephens suddenly looked different.  Why did people think they were entitled to an explanation -- in-show or otherwise -- regarding Darrin?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I don't see why it would have invited any questions.  As I pointed out upthread, this was the fourth time a character had been recast on the show, and there had been no explanation given for why Louise Tate, Gladys Kravitz, or Frank Stephens suddenly looked different.  Why did people think they were entitled to an explanation -- in-show or otherwise -- regarding Darrin?

Because Darrin was the leading mortal protagonist on the show while the others were essentially background guests (okay somewhat with the exception of Mrs. Kravitz). At least in Mrs. Kravitz's case, the performers were not that drastically different in appearance (even if Miss Gould played her more openly antagonistly than had Miss Pearce).

Bringing it back ontopic, I can't imagine that they'd have tried to have pretended ENDORA looked different without any explanation had Miss Moorehead been fated not to play her the entire series!

On 6/2/2018 at 9:11 AM, Blergh said:

Because Darrin was the leading mortal protagonist on the show while the others were essentially background guests (okay somewhat with the exception of Mrs. Kravitz). At least in Mrs. Kravitz's case, the performers were not that drastically different in appearance (even if Miss Gould played her more openly antagonistly than had Miss Pearce).

Bringing it back ontopic, I can't imagine that they'd have tried to have pretended ENDORA looked different without any explanation had Miss Moorehead been fated not to play her the entire series!

An appearance change for Endora would have been easy to explain, she's a witch who could change her looks any time that she wanted to .

2 hours ago, smiley13 said:

An appearance change for Endora would have been easy to explain, she's a witch who could change her looks any time that she wanted to .

Technically true. However; NO ONE could have played her as intriguing and entertainingly as the late Miss Moorehead had done-despite the character's always threatening the entire show's premise. I seriously doubt the show would have managed to limp its way to the end of the season had they attempted to bring anyone else to play her!

5 hours ago, smiley13 said:

But again, it would have been silly for the show to explain anything, since it would have been just another re-cast that I think most people would have merely shrugged off.  Viewers back then weren't stupid, and they knew even then that re-casts are sometimes just a fact of television life -- look at how commonplace re-casts in soap operas were then and now, with hardly anyone thinking twice about it.  In other words, I give the show's viewers back then (and now) a lot more credit than the people who have gotten their knickers in a twist over "Darrin-gate" over the years do.