Type keyword(s) to search

Miracle Workers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm not happy they're going towards an Al/Chauncey romance. I much prefer their friendship.  

I liked Chauncley finding his inner tyrant and, scaring the snotty celeb into performing his hits.

I didn't like Al in this episode and, I also have some left over issues from last week. 

Public self flagellation for atonement of sin was a thing during the Dark Ages, but I too thought it likely that it was an homage to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  I would think it would be near impossible for the showrunners to resist the parallels of an ensemble cast like this playing fast and loose with historical tropes within the same general period.

The bag of skulls Vexler is tasked with carrying around just in case is a good bit, as was Chauncley straining to make even a dent in one.  I'm generally okay with it if the show does go for the eventual Chauncley/Al pairing, but right now I'm just enjoying Radcliffe's complete gawkiness with his crushing on her. He was so wonderfully guileless in accepting Percival's endless bullshit right up until the moment he lost it and went full Cragnoor, and I loved how Vexler was right there with him.  "You're a nostalgia booking, by the way."  It's always kind of a hard shift when someone you're close to suddenly starts taking something seriously when they didn't before, especially if it feels like they're leaving you behind.

• Love 10
On 3/4/2020 at 6:44 PM, ChitChat said:

I'm on board with a Chauncley/Al romance.  Maybe they'll end up together ruling their country, and now that Chauncley is seeing the Peasants in a more sympathetic light, they'll be quite the dynamic duo in fighting for their rights.  That's how I'd like to see this season end - assuming that this season is a one-off like the last one. 

I'm totally fine with a relationship developing, too. I feel like the season will end with something like A) Chauncley accidentally killing his dad (in a completely haphazard way) and ascending to the throne with Al as his practical and snarky queen, or B) Al (and possibly her dad and brother) being executed for something idiotic. I could see her looking up at Chauncley with a shrug and smirk before the ax falls - "life is nasty, brutish, and short" - Chauncley's heart is broken and life in a shitty era goes on. It would be tragi-comical and would bookend the poor li'l chicken's demise in the opening credits. (Not that I want the latter to happen, it would just be a weirdly offbeat ending to the season before a completely different setting for the *fingers crossed* third season!)

• Love 3

Had anyone told me I was going to watch an episode where Eddie was going to end up married to a goat and it would seem as reasonably plausible as anything else, I don't think I would have believed it.  But Buscemi really brings it playing the character as so doggedly good natured and accepting of whatever comes his way, whether it's carving his own tombstone because he fully expects to be killed for defaming a goat or being informed in court that he's married to one.  Love that Lower Murkford has a law against spouses eating each other but nothing that says a man can't marry livestock.

Eddie was right.  Lord Vexler does look hot in purple.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Love that Lower Murkford has a law against spouses eating each other but nothing that says a man can't marry livestock.

And I loved that as soon as Al and Chauncely saw that passage, they immediately knew they had hit on their winning strategy!  I keep forgetting how wee Daniel Radcliffe is.  Chauncely looked so tiny walking next to his father.  Have we heard anything at all about Chauncely's mother?  Is she dead, or shut up in a tower somewhere?  Considering the king's long standing disappointment in Chauncely, it's kind of odd he hasn't tried for another son and heir.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Frost said:

Considering the king's long standing disappointment in Chauncely, it's kind of odd he hasn't tried for another son and heir.

The scene with Chauncley's Dad telling him that he sucks was a heartbreaker.  Al needed to see that though just so she knew what a risk Chauncley took in helping her.  

I'm loving the guy who is playing Lord Cragnoor.  Wikipedia says he's 6'5.  No wonder he dwarfs Daniel Radcliffe!  They had to have someone menacing looking though, and he's perfect for the role.  Can you imagine the outtakes with this cast?  

• Love 7
7 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Love that Lower Murkford has a law against spouses eating each other but nothing that says a man can't marry livestock.

I can only assume the law exists because you can marry livestock.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

King Cragnoor's feeling of being "low key and faded" didn't last long!  I wonder what kind of punishment Lord Vexler got for losing the case.   It's all Chauncley's fault, so I'm sure he's off the hook. 

• Love 2

The pudding man song had me cracking up! I knew that the king's low key faded state wouldn't be permanent so I was really hoping that Chauncley would enjoy it while it lasted. Loved them doing a puzzle together. And of course Al's dad was like okay, I'm married to a goat now!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Unpopular (probably)  opinion,  I don't like Al.

We're all entitled to our likes and dislikes!!  What is it about her character that you'd change if you could?  Or is it the actress?  Just curious, and asking in a nice, non-snarky voice! 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I continue to enjoy this season. The sheer wackiness of the trial could have been a multi episode story it was fun to watch.

Unpopular (probably)  opinion,  I don't like Al.

I don't dislike Al, but I have to say I'm a little taken out of the whole dark ages thing every time I see how she's dressed.  Everyone else (other than the castle staff) are walking around in rags, but she looks like she has access to a designer, sewing machines, fancy dyes... (That said, I do kind of like the dresses.)

16 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don't dislike Al, but I have to say I'm a little taken out of the whole dark ages thing every time I see how she's dressed.  Everyone else (other than the castle staff) are walking around in rags, but she looks like she has access to a designer, sewing machines, fancy dyes... (That said, I do kind of like the dresses.)

I've wondered about her dresses, and my theory is that they're portraying her as the one bright spot in this dark/sad period of time.  Her clothes match her personality.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

We're all entitled to our likes and dislikes!!  What is it about her character that you'd change if you could?  Or is it the actress?  Just curious, and asking in a nice, non-snarky voice! 

She's probably one of the weaker actors but, I don't think its the actress. I think it's partly that Al is the "straight-man" surrounded by wacky characters so she's a bit dull compared to the others.

The other thing is she acts/written likes she's better than everyone else when she's kinda the worst, she's arrogant and sanctimonious.

I appreciate that she does realize when she's acting poorly and apologizes when she hurts someone or gets them hurt but, I just don't find her likable.

It wasn't always like this, it started about 4 episodes ago, the one where Mikey got involved with the gang. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Again, in a non-snarky tone, it is interesting how we all view things through different lenses.  That's what makes these forums great!  I see Al as someone ahead of her time in the way she thinks.  She sees the ridiculousness of things around her, but I don't think she's arrogant about it.  

She saw that going to school was a farce and then accepted her fate of being a shit shoveler.  I think she dreams of a better life, but she continues to help her family while observing the absurdity around her.   I think the show needs her as an observer/narrator of sorts.  

• Love 3

You know it's a weird little show you're watching when you watch Eddie make eyes at Lila the Druid, who had some serious hair, and you immediately wonder if the goat wife is still around and realize that actually probably does matter in this universe.

The bard was sublimely silly and sang what we were all thinking, that Chauncely's timid courtship of Al was downright painful to watch.  Radcliffe is so great at playing absurdly awkward and gawky, and the point where he asked if he was expected to cut his own meat then and immediately began choking on it to the extended Heimlich attempt had me rolling.  From where they left it with Chauncely being ridiculously childish in trying to dismiss Al, I'm guessing next episode will be a continuation of the story, probably with Al realizing that's what he was doing.

Mad Jane's newscasts were gloriously goofy, and I loved the sight gag of Lila the Druid struggling to get her horn hat through the door. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, cynicat said:

But what happened to his goat-wife?

Aw, she's probably been put out to pasture!  Maybe we'll see her again. 

Watching Chauncley get slung up and down like a ragdoll was quite funny, considering what the Heimlich maneuver is supposed to look like. 

• LOL 2

That was one helluva gorgeous wig on Officer Trudi Weigel.

Did the astronomy guy say his last name was Pukemopper? He and Al are a match made in the heavens. (I blame that horrible pun on corona-noia.)

How many more eps of this show? I'm really gonna miss it when it's done.  😞

• Love 6

@nodorothyparker, after every episode I say to my husband, “What a weird little show,” so I love that you described it the same way. 

I really do enjoy this show, and I hope it gets a third season! I find so many comedies to be predictable and the jokes obvious, and often recycled, but this is always funny and catches me off guard with the humour. Stuff just comes straight out of left field. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, marinw said:

She was delicious.

Then Eddie is really in trouble!  The reason he married the goat in the first place was the law against spouses eating each other...

Maybe he got a divorce first?

Edited by Frost
  • LOL 4
37 minutes ago, Frost said:

Then Eddie is really in trouble!  The reason he married the goat in the first place was the law against spouses eating each other...

Just the spouse. The law doesn't say anything about other friends or family members.

Edited by marinw
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the first season, but was happy with the anthology format and looked forward to a new setting with a lot of the same actors for season 2.  But I am so going to miss the Dark Ages characters!  I don't want them to disappear!  There's so much story still to explore.  They really could keep this one going if they wanted to, but I guess Daniel really wants the anthology challenge to keep everything fresh.

I loved Princess Vicky.  And she really was a good match for Chauncely.  Too bad his heart was already taken.  Ah well.  She was so nonchalant when describing their future together.  Too bad Chauncely was going to be assassinated by a trusted adviser.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Somebody please cast Daniel Radcliffe in a movie musical!

He was on Broadway a few years ago in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and he was pretty good

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Frost said:

I loved Princess Vicky.  And she really was a good match for Chauncely.  Too bad his heart was already taken.  Ah well.  She was so nonchalant when describing their future together.  Too bad Chauncely was going to be assassinated by a trusted adviser.

Then her dark side emerged when she said they were all going to die!  She was so matter of fact about everything.  

There are so many funny little moments in this show.  I always go back and watch it again to make sure I didn't miss anything!  I loved the photo booth style drawings of Al & Chauncley.  The top photo has her doing rabbit ears over his head with her fingers.  Then there was the book that deciphers the sounds of the horn!  Everyone needs one of those. 

I'm hoping that they'll continue on with the Dark Ages series, but if they don't, hopefully they'll be back with something just as funny. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, mammaM said:

He was on Broadway a few years ago in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and he was pretty good

He's been on Broadway several times, both in musicals and plays, and he is uniformly amazing.  I've had tickets to everything he's done on Broadway except The Cripple of Inishmaan, which I really wanted to see but couldn't manage.  He's really a phenom.  The last thing he was in was The Lifespan of a Fact, and it was amazing.  I was lucky enough to be there during a Broadway Cares/Equity FIghts AIDS fundraiser, and got to listen to him auction off some small props for charity, in his own voice.  He did an American accent for the show, which was quite good.  (Did I mention I'm a fan?)

• Love 9

The Bard mouthing, "Thank you" to Lord Vexler was my favorite moment tonight. In fact, I think The Bard has been the highlight of every scene he's been in for me.

I'm happy Chauncley took his future into his own hands. 

Al's con artist boyfriend brought out the worst in her, I think. I've noticed her dialogue was kind of mean the last couple of episodes. I hope this trend reverses now that he's out of the picture.

Eddie was my favorite parts of the Al plot. He's so nice, warm, and loving. Steve Buscemi rarely gets to play nice characters. I'm so glad we got to see it this season; he's so good at it.

I'm looking forward to see how they wrap this season up!

• Love 5

At first I thought that Princess Vicky's love of ducks was a scam to get Chauncley to trust her, but she ended up being pretty awesome. I was a little disappointed that they didn't get married because I think they could have had a good relationship, but I knew that Al would be his end game.

4 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

Eddie was my favorite parts of the Al plot. He's so nice, warm, and loving. Steve Buscemi rarely gets to play nice characters. I'm so glad we got to see it this season; he's so good at it.

The first few episodes, I kept waiting for him to reveal that his niceness was all an act and he was secretly weird and/or evil. It's been such a treat to see him play a genuinely warm and loving guy. I've really enjoyed his optimistic and happy go lucky attitude as Eddie.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

At first I thought that Princess Vicky's love of ducks was a scam to get Chauncley to trust her, but she ended up being pretty awesome.

When she was telling Chauncley about her ducks and what their names were, I was waiting for her dark side to show up and tell him something like 'and they sure are delicious!'  

• LOL 4

This show has been a homebound binge for me, I don't know how I missed it before.  It is just the right mix of clever/funny and stupid/funny (thank you David St. Hubbins!). 

On 3/25/2020 at 1:46 PM, ChitChat said:

Then her dark side emerged when she said they were all going to die!  She was so matter of fact about everything.  

Poor Chauncey!  Maybe the King should just marry her, I think they'd be a nice, blood-thirsty pair. 

I like the actress who plays Al (She was great in Cockblockers).  Her droll-ness is a good counterpoint to some of the more over the top characters and plays nicely off of them, particularly Chauncey, her brother and her dad. 

• Love 1

Oh, the irony of them getting rid of the invaders by faking the plague.

Still, a good ending. Vexler getting to be the new king was a way better and fitting twist than fucking Bran winning Game of Thrones. 

• Love 12

I hope Al has an infinite well of patience to handle Chauncely, whose heart is in the right place but who also just learnt how to use a spoon to feed himself!  She has had a lifetime of practice with Eddie and Mikey though, so she'll probably do OK.  Especially since Chauncely actually seems capable of learning.  I was very proud of him for deciding to take on the invaders even if he had to do it all by himself - even though a forest in the daytime does seem so very dark!

Eddie's safety rhyme is so sweet - even without the rotten potato.  

I was hoping for a epilogue from the Bard about the luxury yacht sinking because it was laden with too much gold.

Good-bye Dark Ages!  I will miss you!

• Love 8