Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Boys of Summer

• Start Topic

Hannah is bewildered following her strip-golf fight with Ashley. Daniel prepares for his debut as a drag queen. Catherine focuses on her first interior-design project. Nelson hosts a poker party. Lyle reveals a shocking secret about Ashley.

11 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Good lord these people are boring.

Not to mention their overall lack of charisma to match their overall lack of attractiveness. I don't normally like to snark on appearances, but I don't think I've ever seen a more physically unappealing cast on any other Bravo reality show. It's not that they're ugly, it's just that...they're sooooo boring AND average/basic looking!

Speaking of which, this show somehow managed to make a drag club seem so painfully lame and yawn-worthy.

Also, the basic bitch blonde is totally a closet drunk. Of course if my best marital prospect was that mouth-breather Lyle I'd probably drink myself to oblivion too.

• Like 1
  • Love 12

Has Nelson never had "the boys" over to play poker before?  He really needed his mother to help him with pizza and wings as a suggestion?  Hes' weird in a creeper van kind of way.

"The boys" really seemed to barely tolerate him at the table and couldn't get out of there fast enough.  Whatever he said in Yiddish to "the hot one" (said with sarcasm and I can't remember his name) really sounds like it was awful but Nelson also sounded drunk by that point and hopefully mixed up his choice of words?

Christina (the closet drunk) and her interior design friend are awful people.  What a lazy, entitled little brat she is.

Ashley, oh my.  Way to turn that around and play the victim.  I'm no prude but if you take off your clothes in front of my man I'm gonna have a word with you.  I'm not the jealous type but it's rude and skanky and you will not twist that around into my problem.  It's common courtesy not to undress in daylight at a golf course with other men.  But then again I didn't choose to live in the south I'm only a transplant yankee.  I'm no southern magnolia.  What do I know about decorum?  

So sad to hear Lady Chablis passed.  I had no idea.  Two tears in a bucket; mother fuck it!

• Love 9
(edited)
11 hours ago, bosawks said:

And just plain awful. Is it that big of a deal being Jewish and living in small town Savannah?  In fact, everything with these people seems to be a big deal. Being southern, being northern, being an outcast, being jewish, being engaged to a muslim. What a bunch of elitist, pretentious snobs. And what about the guy with the glasses and the "family name" who hosted the poker party but doesn't play poker? He's pinging my gaydar. No problem with that, just own it for god's sake.  Daniel (who I think is hot as hell, just don't talk, buddy, that ruins it) trying to make Ashley happen with everybody. That needs to stop. Nobody cares. Go back to playing frisbee in the park. 

Ashley is rediculous carrying her stupid skateboard around town with her leather jacket and unlaced hi-tops. How could anybody possibly take her seriously. Is she trying to project a certain image? Hey, look at me, I'm older but dammit, I'm still cool!! What ever she's doing with her look and style, she's failing miserably. 

I had to fast forward through the drag queen crap. Talk about boring. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 9

It's so odd to watch a show where I just hate everybody. Then men are mostly vile and insulting though I appreciated Daniel going to bat for Ashley who yeah, is a little desperate for attention but there's something I like about her more than the other ladies so far.  Cat is vile. I really thought it was ridiculously hypocritical to talk sh*t about Ashley's whole strip golf thing but then show up to see Daniel in drag--something that wouldn't have happened were it not for the strip golf bet. And why does Louie get let off the hook so easily for actually agreeing to and taking part in strip golf? If he was so uncomfortable, he could have said no or walked away. Maybe he was just trying to be one of the cool kids and knew he'd get in trouble later because it was on camera. Either way, yeah, this cast is bottom of the barrel. Boring and generally vile in the way they talk to and about other people. You don't get to love the trans community and refer to a drag queen as "shim." Just no, Nelson. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jack Terrier said:

So sad to hear Lady Chablis passed.  I had no idea.  Two tears in a bucket; mother fuck it!

She was actually talented, the best thing about the movie of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and probably would have made awesome reality TV.  I think I've watched the ep of her dining with Andrew Zimmern on Bizarre Foods probably five times because she's just so charming with him (and the Gullah lady is fascinating).  I'm sorry she's passed, but at least she didn't have to suffer through these boring ass people representing her city.

I think I'm out on this one.  Between Nelson's twice used racial slur and the use of the offensive "shim", and Lyle's yuuking it up over being kicked out of school for taking up skirt shots, only in the third episode, I'm not sure how much more I can take of these gross dudes.  The only thing I was remotely interested in was the out of left field claim that Ashley is a baggage handler for Delta.  If that is true, that makes her vastly more interesting than I previously thought.

• Love 12
55 minutes ago, Lizzing said:

Edited for brevity:

The only thing I was remotely interested in was the out of left field claim that Ashley is a baggage handler for Delta.  If that is true, that makes her vastly more interesting than I previously thought.

Yes, I forgot all about that!  LOL.  Now that would be a little interesting.  Poor outcast Ashley who have lived all over the world crawls back home to work as a baggage slinger at Delta.  :)

• Love 6

I lived in Savannah for more than a decade and while I adored the city, I can say that there are a fair amount of people who do think in "labels"  Something being Southern or done that way because they are from Savannah and being expressed that way doesn't surprise me.  

Savannah also has a huge Jewish history, so I'm not really sure that being Jewish is such a unique thing.  I guess it's possible there weren't many Jews in SCD, but, there are Jews in Savannah.  

Nelson and his slurs are an unfortunate reality there, too.  Over the years, I found that there was a casual racism, maybe people wouldn't use the n word, but, it wasn't really shocking to hear opinions like his (either the yiddish slur or the trans slur), just tossed out in casual conversation with no counter.  

And with Ashley? There's no way in hell I'd have apologized to her.  She'd have just been told, it's not cool to play strip golf with my man.  I find it disrespectful.  It's cool if you want to do that with other people, and everyone is onboard, but, this was a line that you crossed with me, and it was not cool.  

• Love 3

All of these people are gross. This must be what it feels like to hate watch. Brunette number two's Muslim fiancée is currently the least objectionable, but only because I've barely seen anything of him. If he hangs out with these people he can't be great. 

Daniel was pathetic trying to pick up women in that bar. Lyle is disturbing with his up skirt pictures. Ashley is sad. Brunette number one is boring bitchy. And Nelson is just...yeah. 

I can't even remember the rest of them right now 

• Love 3

Two out of three episodes Nelson has to tell us "I'm a heterosexual man" or "As a heterosexual man..." Psst, Nels, heterosexual men don't walk around proclaiming out loud that they are "a heterosexual man." I'm also guessing many wouldn't serve lime coolis (or whatever he kept saying) cookies and salad for poker night. But what do I know--I'm not a heterosexual man.

So Ashley got kicked out of church for dressing sexually at 13--even though she make have just had a "skater rat" look and perhaps "blossomed" early. So that life-altering event MADE her decide to take on this hyper-sexualized persona if she's going to be accused of it anyway?

And we also got some peeks into the childhood psyches of Daniel (outcast for being Jewish AND a criminal father), Lyle (kicked out of SCD for being a creeper), and the blonde girl (seems to be caught up in this perpetual adolescent state of acting dumb/no direction unlike her parents). And of course more childhood background on outcast Nelson (kids were impressed that he was so rich and went to his private island, but no one actually was friends with him). The Christian/Muslim couple also have their own outcast storyline. And the sock guy and the scandalized-by-strip-golf girl? Well, maybe they're just the "Greek chorus" characters commented on all of the other misfits?

I GUESS this show COULD potentially be interesting to look at it from that perspective--all of these people who lived here since elementary school and not a single one feels that s/he belongs and they're all floundering in this group dynamic. I'm still hanging in; maybe this show will reach its stride?

• Love 4
13 hours ago, smores said:

I'm only hanging in there because I don't live there anymore and I want the scenery.  I may end up watching it on mute.

Thing is they don't even show the scenery at it's best like they do with Southern Charm Charleston. We've barely seen anything of the city. 

• Love 6

As much as I want to drool over the Savannah scenery (not that they are showing us much), I am ready to check out of this show.  It's boring AF (TM StASSi, Vanderpump Rules) and none of the people, save maybe Ashley, are entertaining in the slightest. 

• Love 3
(edited)

"It wasn't a big deal, grow up." Well it was a big deal to Hannah. Ashley stripped down to underwear in front of  somebody else's man. Ashley has no respect for anybody's feelings but her own nor respect for other's relationships. It's all about her. She does have different values if she thinks that's ok.

One piece... Please. How about a sheer one piece that had to be blurred so her nipples didn't show on TV.

Apparently mommy did a great job enabling her special snowflake. Thank God for global warming I'm ready for her to melt away.

Edited by Giselle
Friggin autocorrect!
  • Love 9

So one cast member is essentially a sex offender taking upskirt photos of high schoolers?  That type of perv shouldn't be allowed to be on a television show.  And this guy is judging Ashley?  Who is also an asshole.  

• Love 4

I don't see any winners in this group. If I lived in Savannah I would think twice about sending my child to Savannah Country Day. Wouldn't want them to peak so early in life.

Does anyone else get the vibe that Nelson needs to turn a light on if he is going to stay in the closet.

The best thing about this episode was seeing the Lady Chablis. The rest of it is forgettable.

• Love 5

Ashley is seriously still hung up over stuff that happened at youth group?  Yeesh, grow up.  I spent a couple teenage years being grumpy about things happening at youth group.  I don't think I've even thought about that rubbish in a decade.  She just comes off so juvenile.  And if she came at me with that random dramatic tirade in my living room, I probably would have been much less gracious about it than whichever brunette that was. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/22/2017 at 11:05 PM, bosawks said:

They are boring AF.

On 5/24/2017 at 0:57 PM, psychoticstate said:

As much as I want to drool over the Savannah scenery (not that they are showing us much), I am ready to check out of this show.  It's boring AF (TM StASSi, Vanderpump Rules) and none of the people, save maybe Ashley, are entertaining in the slightest. 

Sorry, I did not see your post before I posted mine above.      My two posts were merged as I posted right after each other.  

Edited by SuzWhat
(edited)
13 hours ago, wovenloaf said:

Ashley is seriously still hung up over stuff that happened at youth group?  Yeesh, grow up.  I spent a couple teenage years being grumpy about things happening at youth group.  I don't think I've even thought about that rubbish in a decade.  She just comes off so juvenile.  And if she came at me with that random dramatic tirade in my living room, I probably would have been much less gracious about it than whichever brunette that was. 

Agreed and I also would have given her a piece of my mind. She is bound and determined to shove herself in peoples faces until she makes them change their mind. "Baby girl" it doesn't work that way, your just pissing people off and closing their mind. She's trying too hard and it pathetically shows.

Ashley says nobody outside of mommy and Jesus saw her and accepted her as the special flower that she was.  I'm willing to bet they saw too much of her and somebody tried to nip it in the bud but snowflake wasn't having none of it and doubled down that is when the church suggested that this might not be the best hothouse for them and their blooming magnolia. I don't see anything wrong with the church's response. It's their playground, just like we abide by PTVs rules here.

She obviously hasn't learned the lesson of "let go or be dragged".

Edited by Giselle
too, not to, two or 2
  • Love 4
On 5/24/2017 at 6:36 AM, JenE4 said:

Two out of three episodes Nelson has to tell us "I'm a heterosexual man" or "As a heterosexual man..." Psst, Nels, heterosexual men don't walk around proclaiming out loud that they are "a heterosexual man." I'm also guessing many wouldn't serve lime coolis (or whatever he kept saying) cookies and salad for poker night. But what do I know--I'm not a heterosexual man.

Byrd's Key Lime Cooler cookies are to die for!  Nelson's snack choice made me smile.  If you're serving these at a gathering, I'm there!
http://www.byrdcookiecompany.com/product/key-lime-cookies/cookies-by-the-pound

• Love 1

I thought Daniel was the most decent one out of this sad, sad group, but he lost me with his predatory behavior at the bar. It seemed like he followed that girl into the bathroom against her wishes, but then, when he was back outside with Juvenile Perv Lyle and Sock Magnate Louis, they seemed to imply he was....serviced....in there.

• Love 1

Hasn't Bravo done the drag show routine on every reality franchise they own this year? 

Ashley's try-too-hard leather jacket and skateboard persona reminds me of girls in the early '80s who were going for cool and punky looks. She is 30 years too late and failing.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bosawks said:

I need to admit that I just have this visceral, knee jerk, rabid dislike for Lyle.

Everything about him is disgusting and vile. There is nothing handsome or charming about him. I have the same visceral, knee jerk hate for that guy whenever his smug face comes on my screen. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Darva6 said:

Everything about him is disgusting and vile. There is nothing handsome or charming about him. I have the same visceral, knee jerk hate for that guy whenever his smug face comes on my screen. 

I agree but there is no one more smug than Nelson.

• Love 1