Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I only watched the finale to see how the show would end. My interest in this show waned somewhere during season 3. There were just too many plot lines that were introduced, most of which were poorly executed.

I see Jenna Bans (EP) has another women-led crime show in the works at NBC. Lets see if that one fares better.

Terrible and confusing ending. But I'm glad it's finally over.

13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve missed most of this season so maybe it would help if I watched every episode

It won't.

9 hours ago, MBayGal said:

This ep was beyond stupid and confusing.  Total crap!  Here is one person's explanation of Annie's fate.  I guess it makes sense

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2570872/good-girls-ending-explained-annie-arrested-jail-fingerprints-gun-series-finale

I still hate the episode though, well basically this whole season

Thank you, this does clear it up quite a bit. We shouldn't have to read an article though to understand the ending. This show isn't The Sopranos.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
(edited)

I thought about this a little (not too much, don’t worry) and I wonder if Christina Hendricks being EP also affected the plot lines. Her character was made of Teflon until the very end and made out to be some criminal genius even though she wasn’t very smart. It’s conjecture in my part – but I wonder if having this feeling like her character was this “bad ass boss bitch” caused the storyline to falter. 

I mean if you compare Beth to the Tony Soprano or Walter White anti-hero trope, many people stayed with them in their journeys because there were consequences for their actions and you saw them wrestle with conflict. Beth? She’s just unlikeable and downright entitled – especially when it came to the other women. 

Anyway, I know the writing was…not the best, but I’m wondering if there were other factors that made the final season(a) of Good Girls this hot mess. Especially when they started on such a strong and promising path.

Edited by Sharper2002
It’s “being” not “bring”
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Sharper2002 said:

I wonder if Christina Hendricks bring EP

She was not a executive producer; she was a producer. When actors get that title it doesn't necessarily mean they have story input; it can be a way to get more money without getting a higher episode rate.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Too bad the show waited so late to introduce the Nick and Rio dynamic. I thought that was more interesting than the good girls fumbling their way into more and more trouble.

Was there something about that cop standing behind Dean when Beth awoke up after getting shot that intimidated her? Did she assume he worked for Nick? 🥴

That moment last night on the bench when he touched her hair was sweet. 

It was but I paused it and stared hard trying to figure out if MM and CH were actually on that bench at the same time. People who watched The Good Wife--especially the final season--will know what I mean.

You can tell the writers do a great job on a finale and final season of a show when half of the audience reactions are "Oh I wish the main character had died."

IKR? Breaking Bad and the Sopranos actually did it right and for the most part fans were okay with their endings. Even Game of Thrones killed Daenerys, though not until after they quickly turned her into a power-hungry psycho in the iffy final season.

But noo, this show just had to go out defiantly showing their ass. Some of TPTB are probably are still hoping another network will pick GG up.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Was there something about that cop standing behind Dean when Beth awoke up after getting shot that intimidated her? Did she assume he worked for Nick? 🥴

The same actor played the supermarket manager in her Nevada dream.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/25/2021 at 11:41 AM, dubbel zout said:

The same actor played the supermarket manager in her Nevada dream.

Yeah, it was the whole Wizard of Oz, Dorothy wakes up thing. But back in real life, Diane Beth didn't know the guy yet she seemed reluctant to say anything as he stood there looking at her. I wondered if she was reading something into his presence. But at this point there are probably too many puzzlements about the finale so whatever.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
yikes, I'm getting my shows confused
  • LOL 2
(edited)
On 7/24/2021 at 7:16 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I kind of think the star ALWAYS gets input.  You can't really fire the star, so you kind of have to bend to their will.  

Two shows come to mind that can disprove this theory: Two and a Half Men and Roseanne.

Edited to add that I think CH just can't deal with anybody and is one of those on set brats. A lot like Mandy Patinkin, who has shot himself in the foot so many times. But they don't have any power on the show, other than the power to stomp off in a huff. With a show like this, I think the cancellation comes down to absurd writing and a lack of interest from viewers. Whatever crap CH may have been pulling, I don't think it nailed the coffin closed. 

They could have killed off Beth and turned a corner with Phoebe joining the dark side and been totally do-able. I would have liked to see that.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Mandy Patinkin

Whose long body of work in film, on TV, and in the theatre has arguably earned him some right to be a bit of a prima donna. CH is far from being at his level.

Whatever crap CH may have been pulling, I don't think it nailed the coffin closed. 

Yes, and her presence didn't seem to be enough to a) keep the show going; b) get another network to pick the show up; or, c ) get rid of MM. The poor coffin may have nailed itself shut.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Whose long body of work in film, on TV, and in the theatre has arguably earned him some right to be a bit of a prima donna. CH is far from being at his level.

Yes, and her presence didn't seem to be enough to a) keep the show going; b) get another network to pick the show up; or, c ) get rid of MM. The poor coffin may have nailed itself shut.

He was pulling those antics long before he had the right to, and has expressed some regrets about it. Narcissists have a hard time coming to term with these things. But he got tons of chances to curb his behaviour. And no one has earned the right to be a prima donna.

I never said her presence could save the show, I just don't think hers killed it. Lack of interest in an increasingly hard to believe story line probably did it.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 3

I think a major issue I had with the show was that I got so turned off by the Rio character and how he came into play initially with Beth…..like her pretending he was someone else….him at tennis…..no way!  He appeared to be exactly what he was.  The actor is fine, but that character made my skin crawl.  I could never get passed it and then just when I think he’s dead….no…..returned!  I gave up and only returned for t.he final season.  Thank goodness, not too much of him in the finale.  Yes, I realize he has a big fan base.  I didn’t get it.  

• Love 2

I read upthread discussion about Christina appearing in tv dramas.  I was not aware that she appeared in a tv drama entitled Tin Star from 2017-2019.  I’ve just started with season 1 of 3 seasons.  Did anyone else see it?  It appears to be a big role.  

• Useful 3
17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone else see it?  It appears to be a big role.  

Tin Star was extremely intense, definitely not recommended for the faint of heart. I loved it! CH was prominent in seasons 1 & 2; season 3 has yet to be released on Amazon Prime, but was aired in England last year.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/31/2021 at 8:52 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I read upthread discussion about Christina appearing in tv dramas.  I was not aware that she appeared in a tv drama entitled Tin Star from 2017-2019.  I’ve just started with season 1 of 3 seasons.  Did anyone else see it?  It appears to be a big role.  

I need to watch this! 

• Love 1

I've seen Tin Star. I liked it a lot but it's not for the faint of heart. CH is fine in it but I don't know if I'd watch it just to see her unless you really want to watch her play a dark character. As was mentioned upthread, she's not in the third (final) season, and Tim Roth is definitely the star of the series.

Interesting tidbit I saw on reddit: apparently CH was filming Tin Star and Good Girls at the same time. 

My memory is crap, so I never remembered the Dean actor from his teen movies. However, I just watched He’s All That on Netflix and loved him. Too bad Dean wasn’t more like that; maybe I wouldn’t have hated him. 

• Love 1

I stopped watching, whenever they came back, and now there are only five episodes on hulu. I don't know which ones I missed. I don't feel the need to hunt them down, but I guess it will be on netflix next year. 

On 3/6/2022 at 6:53 AM, NotChristine said:

https://people.com/tv/christina-hendricks-says-nbc-failed-massively-when-good-girls-was-canceled

I don't recall NBC promoting the show as a sitcom.

FYI, the last season will be available on Netflix 3/7

Yeah that’s perplexing. I’m curious what she means by it because I don’t recall it either. 
It is always going to bother me a show with so much talent was such a mess with great moments blended in. 

On 3/14/2022 at 9:51 AM, LemonSoda said:

Yeah that’s perplexing. I’m curious what she means by it because I don’t recall it either. 
It is always going to bother me a show with so much talent was such a mess with great moments blended in. 

I don't know why--I really have liked this show.   I'm not a youngster by any means.  I really liked the portrayal of the character Rio.  I have no idea why.  Maybe someone could enlighten me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LizDC said:

I had the same question Kelly did! Writer's have pivoted with less notice. If the show didn't move forward it was because the writers and producers didn't see the point without that one person. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Unless that "one person" was one of the leads, I highly doubt they were the deciding factor. I don't like Retta bringing up old drama without actually saying anything new. The show could have gone on without Montana/Rio.

• Like 1

WTF was that?   I still don’t fully understand why Annie was arrested.  I did like her and Ben. 

I had put off watching this series for a while and now need a palette cleanser from watching the last season.  

I just didn’t like the ending at all.  The series was not great, but the “finale” really made me dislike everything a bit more. 

• Like 1

I’ve decided to do a rewatch, and am enjoying the show more this time around.  I can concentrate on the characters better and holy cow is the music great.  

• Like 1

This show did the same mistake made with The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

You have a character that is married to a piece of shit husband whose selfish actions start all the problems the main character has to face.

Then she show spends the rest of the seasons showing what an awesome guy that piece of shit husband actually is, instead of spending that valuable time really developing the main character.

I like Mathew Lillard and even had a crush on him when I was younger.

However, it was weird (just like with Mrs. Maisel) that I started liking his character more than his wife.

• Like 1