Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Whitney Steps Up

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, aliya said:

I meant to ask this earlier in the season, but keep forgetting - is the brown hair/blond hair thing a look now or has she just not kept up with doing her roots? 

It's not her roots. She had the ends of her hair colored blond.

MBFFL-320_013.png

Edited by Complexity
3 minutes ago, Complexity said:

That is a look called ombre. Its very popular but can look like grown out roots if you going present it well

• Love 2

I think like a lot of styles that start with "celebrities", ombre can look good when done well.  But it looks like shit when done poorly and/or cheaply.  I'm sure there are many memes online of this style gone wrong.

Which gets back to the question of Whitney's finances.  She's now in the 4th season.  She should have more disposable income than she's ever had in her life.  And yet, season by season, we've seen her wardrobe, styling, and hygiene go steadily downhill.

I've speculated elsewhere about what she's getting paid to do this show.  But I seriously wonder where that money's gone?  Was she really in that much debt pre-show that she's still underwater, or close to it?  I suppose that's possible if she had student loans that she could never afford to pay back.  

I'd also suspect depression, which can be a common cause of people letting their hygiene, clothing, grooming, etc. slide.  

Either way, decidedly not fabulous.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Alapaki said:

I've speculated elsewhere about what she's getting paid to do this show.  But I seriously wonder where that money's gone?  Was she really in that much debt pre-show that she's still underwater, or close to it?  I suppose that's possible if she had student loans that she could never afford to pay back.  

Starbucks fancy drinks and big cookies don't come cheap.  

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

In fairness, she did have to use the Rubbermaid step to "step up" onto Babs' bed. I'm guessing that the stool is there for the dog OR for Babs since it looks like a pretty high bed and Babs (though spry) ain't no spring chicken. 

Just for the record, I googled several of the Rubbermaid step stools.  Max capacity for all the ones I saw was 300 pounds.  Looks like a harbinger of where Twit's next injury will happen.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Complexity said:

MBFFL-320_013.png

I thought I knew what the ombre style looked like. Apparently I was wrong. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I don't think I've ever had my mother sitting by and watching when I've gotten my hair done...

I'll give her a semi-pass. My daughters and I go to the same hairdresser and often go together. However my oldest is only 21; by the time she's Whit's age I hope she'll be taking her own kids to get haircuts.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I don't think I've ever had my mother sitting by and watching when I've gotten my hair done...

Yet another sign that Twit's emotional development was arrested at age 12.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, momofsquid said:

I'll give her a semi-pass. My daughters and I go to the same hairdresser and often go together. However my oldest is only 21; by the time she's Whit's age I hope she'll be taking her own kids to get haircuts.

I also think some allowance has to be made for the fact that they're filming a show and, for better or worse, Babs' reactions to Whitney's absurdities is a big part of the playbook.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, spankydoll said:

That is a look called ombre. Its very popular but can look like grown out roots if you going present it well

Her ombré is a bad example of it.  Looks good from the front, but awful any other direction.  If Mattie did that, then I'd say she isn't a good hairstylist.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Alapaki said:

I'd also suspect depression, which can be a common cause of people letting their hygiene, clothing, grooming, etc. slide.  

I'd go with this, because I just can't believe that she has any need or is getting any push, to be self-supporting.
It's such a strange life.  Pig shopping, belly dance classes, stop in a radio station, stop and give a dance class.
There's NO ORDER to her life.  It's chaos.  She'll never grow up living like this, and at the moment, she's not a good candidate to "marry well," as her mother did.

• Love 4

Seeing Whit in that salon chair makes me wonder if she goes to a hair salon that specializes in the morbidly obese because I don't think I have ever seen a salon chair that would accommodate Whit. 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, John M said:

Seeing Whit in that salon chair makes me wonder if she goes to a hair salon that specializes in the morbidly obese because I don't think I have ever seen a salon chair that would accommodate Whit. 

I'm not sure that even is a regular salon chair.  Most of them have footrests, and it looks like Twit's feet are not at a level they would be on that footrest/bar.  Also, she seems low . . . most hairdressers prefer to use the pneumatic pump to raise the client.  Although that might not work well if your client is over 350 pounds.

Edited by AZChristian
Typos increase with age.
  • Love 4
On 4/18/2017 at 8:20 PM, Awfarmington said:

Exactly what I was thinking! She has a nice home, and most people feel most comfortable when they're in their own environment. Glen can take care of her when he is off of work, and Babs two kids can take turns during the week days to stay with her. Admittedly, I can't sleep anywhere but my own bed...I don't travel or stay overnight with friends or family. So maybe I'm biased as far as the comfort of recovering in someone else's home. 

This isn't meant as snark, but an actual question: I wonder if Whitney is too heavy to stay at her parents' home?  I'm guessing Whitney has a bed at home that's made to deal with someone her size. If they don't have a bed like that at her folks' house, then it might be difficult for her to stay there for any length of time. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk about her weight, I just wonder if that's a consideration.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I'm not sure that even is a regular salon chair.  Most of them have footrests, and it looks like Twit's feet are not at a level they would be on that footrest/bar.  Also, she seems low . . . most hairdressers prefer to use the pneumatic pump to raise the client.  Although that might not work well if your client is over 350 pounds.

I tried to find pictures of Mattie's salon to see the chairs with no one in them, but I couldn't. Maybe someone else can find pictures.What I did find is that Mattie works at Bijan's Salon. Her license was issued on 12/6/2013 in North Carolina, #94065, under the name of Matthew Bynum. Her license is listed as Cosmetologist and Cosmetic Therapist (what is that?).

Edited by Complexity
Because two completely different messages were merged by the system.
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Complexity said:

Cosmetic Therapist (what is that?).

According to Google, in some states, it's a person licensed to use lasers and electrolysis for hair removal.  Haven't found any similar licensing yet in North Carolina, but will continue to check . . . I have no life.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I'd go with this, because I just can't believe that she has any need or is getting any push, to be self-supporting.
It's such a strange life.  Pig shopping, belly dance classes, stop in a radio station, stop and give a dance class.
There's NO ORDER to her life.  It's chaos.  She'll never grow up living like this, and at the moment, she's not a good candidate to "marry well," as her mother did.

This is her real dilemma. It's not whether or not to dance away with Mr. Fit; it's how to continue the fiction of a fabulous-while-fat life style as she becomes more & more disabled because of her unhealthy choices. I think she now reconciles this by deluding herself into thinking, "I'm young; I've got plenty of time to lose weight after my TLC career ends." But even Twit must realize on some level of consciousness that she is living a lie. Hence, the depression. No one goes to a psychotherapist if her life is fabulous.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Alapaki said:

I think like a lot of styles that start with "celebrities", ombre can look good when done well.  But it looks like shit when done poorly and/or cheaply.  I'm sure there are many memes online of this style gone wrong.

Which gets back to the question of Whitney's finances.  She's now in the 4th season.  She should have more disposable income than she's ever had in her life.  And yet, season by season, we've seen her wardrobe, styling, and hygiene go steadily downhill.

Either way, decidedly not fabulous.

I googled "Whitney Way Thore net worth" a few weeks ago, and several sites listed her net worth between $750,000 and $1,500,000. You'd think that with the TLC show, book, NBS clothing line, and assorted spin-offs combined, that Whitney would not be hurting for money.

Whitney should have had enough on hand to pay cash for her home free and clear, and not need Glen to co-sign for a loan. 

Edited by Meowza
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, John M said:

The ones I see that list a weight limit say 500 lbs, but I don't see a weight listed on a lot of the chair sites.

23 minutes ago, Mojoker said:

This isn't meant as snark, but an actual question: I wonder if Whitney is too heavy to stay at her parents' home?  I'm guessing Whitney has a bed at home that's made to deal with someone her size. If they don't have a bed like that at her folks' house, then it might be difficult for her to stay there for any length of time. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk about her weight, I just wonder if that's a consideration.

Nope, not at all. As an example, people with large aquariums have no problem with them on upper levels of a home or apartment. A 90 gallon aquarium is approximately 750 lbs when full. A truly large aquarium of 250 gallons is almost 2100 lbs when full. Whitney and her bed or any furniture in any single spot upstairs should weigh less and not even come close to being a problem.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Mojoker said:

And lots of married couples have a combined weight over what Whitney weighs . . . so the bed should be fine.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Mojoker said:

Remember, she lived with her parents up until a couple of years ago. I'm sure her old bedroom is available to her when she wants to use it. Her problem would not be not having an available & sturdy bed, but having to climb a flight of stairs to reach it.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Complexity said:

Nope, not at all. As an example, people with large aquariums have no problem with them on upper levels of a home or apartment. A 90 gallon aquarium is approximately 750 lbs when full. A truly large aquarium of 250 gallons is almost 2100 lbs when full. Whitney and her bed or any furniture in any single spot upstairs should weigh less and not even come close to being a problem.

No, sorry!  I wasn't referring to the structural integrity of the house -- I hope a house could accommodate that relatively small amount of weight! -- but the bed itself.  The average beds aren't meant to accommodate someone over 300 pounds and will often break down pretty quickly under that much weight in one spot (as opposed to distributed between two people in the bed). I'm guessing Whitney  has a mattress made for someone her weight. I'm wondering if her parents might not have that.

Just now, Dot said:

Remember, she lived with her parents up until a couple of years ago. I'm sure her old bedroom is available to her when she wants to use it. Her problem would not be not having an available & sturdy bed, but having to climb a flight of stairs to reach it.

I guess I assumed she would have taken her bed with her.

• Love 1
Just now, Mojoker said:

No, sorry!  I wasn't referring to the structural integrity of the house -- I hope a house could accommodate that relatively small amount of weight! -- but the bed itself.  The average beds aren't meant to accommodate someone over 300 pounds and will often break down pretty quickly under that much weight in one spot (as opposed to distributed between two people in the bed). I'm guessing Whitney  has a mattress made for someone her weight. I'm wondering if her parents might not have that.

Ah, okay. I would think not, but I honestly don't know. I would not expect it to be a problem other than the mattress having a short life span due to wearing down quickly. Given her parent's house and what has been told on here about Glenn's line of work, I would expect they'd have sufficient money to buy a suitable bed for her. But I can only speculate as I have no actual facts to back up my assertions.

13 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

According to Google, in some states, it's a person licensed to use lasers and electrolysis for hair removal.  Haven't found any similar licensing yet in North Carolina, but will continue to check . . . I have no life.

There is no one named Bynum in North Carolina who is either a Licensed Electrologist or a Licensed Laser Practitioner.  I think Cosmetic Therapist is a fancy term that Mattie saw and decided to add to the resume.  

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

And lots of married couples have a combined weight over what Whitney weighs . . . so the bed should be fine.

It's a matter of distribution. There's a difference between 385 pounds concentrated on one area of the bed and having that weight distributed between two 192 pound people (or three 128 pound people!).  (As I typed this, I'm thinking how weird it is that Whitney could be divided into three quite healthy sized women.)

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

There is no one named Bynum in North Carolina who is either a Licensed Electrologist or a Licensed Laser Practitioner.  I think Cosmetic Therapist is a fancy term that Mattie saw and decided to add to the resume.  

Here's what I found running a search for professional licenses for the name Matthew Bynum in North Carolina:

MathewBynum.png

1 hour ago, Meowza said:

I googled "Whitney Way Thore net worth" a few weeks ago, and several sites listed her net worth between $750,000 and $1,500,000. You'd think that with the TLC show, book, NBS clothing line, and assorted spin-offs combined, that Whitney would not be hurting for money.

Whitney should have had enough on hand to pay cash for her home free and clear, and not need Glen to co-sign for a loan. 

I'd like to know what those websites Base that on. 

Because I don't think there's a chance on God's green Earth that she's earned enough from these 4 seasons to be worth that much after taxes. 

Not even close.

If she is, then her hair and her wardrobe is truly a mystery 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Because I don't think there's a chance on God's green Earth that she's earned enough from these 4 seasons to be worth that much after taxes. 

Not even close.

Maybe she only wears each "outfit" one time so she won't have to do laundry.  THAT could get pricey, even if she doesn't buy expensive stuff.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Alapaki said:

Yes, for some, you know they own a percentage of a company, worth so much, but Whit, I don't know.
She may have an annuity or trust fund, and may hold stock.

Edited by auntjess
7 hours ago, aliya said:

I thought I knew what the ombre style looked like. Apparently I was wrong. 

You probably aren't wrong. Twit just does ombre to the same level of expertise that she does belly-dancing. And hip hop. And everything else.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Mojoker said:

I guess I assumed she would have taken her bed with her.

No - I have a cousin whose weight has gone up to 500 lbs.  He sleeps in a regular queen bed when he visits.

6 hours ago, Alapaki said:

Not even close.

A financial adviser will often recommend a first time home buyer get a mortgage even if they're able to pay cash for a house. A mortgage is good for your credit score, especially if you pay it off in short order.  It's better at Whitney's age/stage to get a mortgage and then just pay it off within the first year.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:41 PM, leighroda said:

?Todd... I don't think Whitney is completely at fault for this one, Todd is being pretty ridiculous about the whole fitness Marshall thing, but Whitney knows this bothers him and still chooses to be obnoxious about it and rub it in his face that she was asked and not him, so I don't completely blame Todd for having his feelings hurt, and I know I don't always act rationally when my feelings are hurt, regardless of it being justified or not.

I just remembered that Twit treated Todd badly a couple of seasons ago. She decided to attend a dance party in LA honoring this very fat Irish guy who had become a YouTube laughing stock when someone secretly taped him dancing, then posted it. A body pos group in LA paid his way to the U.S. to show him that he was an OK person no matter what his weight was. (Twit tried to make the event all about HER, of course.)

Anyway, if you are going to a DANCE, you bring your ETERNAL DANCE PARTNER along, right? That's what Todd thought, too, until Twit told him she was taking Tal. (At that time Tal wasn't even a BGDC member & was not a prominent barnacle.) So Twit's choosing Mr. Fit over Todd is not the first time she's done that kind of thing to him.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dot said:

I just remembered that Twit treated Todd badly a couple of seasons ago. She decided to attend a dance party in LA honoring this very fat Irish guy who had become a YouTube laughing stock when someone secretly taped him dancing, then posted it. A body pos group in LA paid his way to the U.S. to show him that he was an OK person no matter what his weight was. (Twit tried to make the event all about HER, of course.

Just a correction: The fat guy had been laughed for dancing by a group of "mean girls" at whatever event he was at. Someone posted his picture with the caption explaining the situation on some social media site (I think instagram) and he became internet famous because people sympathized with him. So it kinda changes the story because he was never really a laughing stock to anyone else besides some girls at the party.

1 hour ago, Dot said:

Anyway, if you are going to a DANCE, you bring your ETERNAL DANCE PARTNER along, right? That's what Todd thought, too, until Twit told him she was taking Tal. (At that time Tal wasn't even a BGDC member & was not a prominent barnacle.) So Twit's choosing Mr. Fit over Todd is not the first time she's done that kind of thing to him.

For this part, I'm leaning to the side that believes the whole Fitness Marshall situation and Todd's apparent jealousy over it is a complete fabrication. I gotta believe that Todd is smart enough to realize that the ONLY reason Whitney was even invited to dance with the Fitness Marshall was because of the show (not her talent). And even if you believe that Whitney and FM had some sort of connection, I gotta believe that Todd is not delusional enough to think that if Whitney weren't in the picture, he would have the talent and charisma to make FM pick him to go on tour with him out of everyone else who would probably want that job. Todd is not that good at dancing, and he's gotta know that given his work in NYC competing against men who can ACTUALLY dance.

• Love 2

I always stick around to watch a few minutes of the "bonus episode" and I agree that it is astounding how badly Buddy and Whitney have turned out. In season 1, Whit in particular was pretty, dressed nicely most of the time, not out of breath much, not waddling much, occasionally funny or at least focused on someone besides herself...and supposedly she has lost 30 lb since then. But her health looks AWFUL. She is greasy, her skin is bad, she can't keep her house clean, she can't move without limping, and her humor has developed a meanness to it. She just seems both physically and mentally unwell, and takes zero care of herself. At this remarkable rate of decline, I'd be surprised if she lives until 50 (being generous).

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I always stick around to watch a few minutes of the "bonus episode" and I agree that it is astounding how badly Buddy and Whitney have turned out. In season 1, Whit in particular was pretty, dressed nicely most of the time, not out of breath much, not waddling much, occasionally funny or at least focused on someone besides herself...and supposedly she has lost 30 lb since then. But her health looks AWFUL. She is greasy, her skin is bad, she can't keep her house clean, she can't move without limping, and her humor has developed a meanness to it. She just seems both physically and mentally unwell, and takes zero care of herself. At this remarkable rate of decline, I'd be surprised if she lives until 50 (being generous).

Season 1 and now are like night and day with her. Season 1, she acknowledged she needed to lose some weight (but not be a skinny minny, just enough to be more healthy) and it seemed that's what we'd be watching--not this train wreck of a show. Season 1 she was nicer. She was funnier. And yes I agree, her "humor" now has a dark side to it. 

I can't help but wonder who the "real" Whitney is. She seemed genuine in season 1. I liked that Whiney. Was the bad attitude always lurking, or did the show help cause her to become an asshole? TV can do that to people; I think we've discussed that idea previously. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Mojoker said:

A financial adviser will often recommend a first time home buyer get a mortgage even if they're able to pay cash for a house. A mortgage is good for your credit score, especially if you pay it off in short order.  It's better at Whitney's age/stage to get a mortgage and then just pay it off within the first year.

Getting a mortgage isn't the red flag.  The red flag is having to have her father cosign in order to get the loan.  That denotes a credit risk and would defeat the purpose of taking the mortgage just to bolster her credit rating.  I realize that lenders look more to debt/income ratios than net worth, and they probably rightly discount "reality TV personality" as a source of stable long-term income.  But if that net worth is close to accurate, surely Whitney could've come up with a down payment that would permit the lender to dispense with the need for a co-signer.

I keep thinking about that supposed net worth.  Even if they're including the value of the house in that, it still seems to be grossly inflated.  I wonder if it includes some unrealistically inflated intangible value for the "No BS Brand"?

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Getting a mortgage isn't the red flag.  The red flag is having to have her father cosign in order to get the loan.  That denotes a credit risk and would defeat the purpose of taking the mortgage just to bolster her credit rating.  I realize that lenders look more to debt/income ratios than net worth, and they probably rightly discount "reality TV personality" as a source of stable long-term income.  But if that net worth is close to accurate, surely Whitney could've come up with a down payment that would permit the lender to dispense with the need for a co-signer.

I keep thinking about that supposed net worth.  Even if they're including the value of the house in that, it still seems to be grossly inflated.  I wonder if it includes some unrealistically inflated intangible value for the "No BS Brand"?

Actually, having to have a co-signer is even more reason to get the mortgage. She may have a co-signer, but it's her credit that will reflect the credit diversity that a mortgage represents (you do better with different kinds of credit rather than just credit cards).  A promptly paid mortgage on your credit report is worth more than promptly paid revolving credit and can boost your score far higher and faster than just about anything else.

1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Season 1 and now are like night and day with her. Season 1, she acknowledged she needed to lose some weight (but not be a skinny minny, just enough to be more healthy) and it seemed that's what we'd be watching--not this train wreck of a show. Season 1 she was nicer. She was funnier. And yes I agree, her "humor" now has a dark side to it. 

I can't help but wonder who the "real" Whitney is. She seemed genuine in season 1. I liked that Whiney. Was the bad attitude always lurking, or did the show help cause her to become an asshole? TV can do that to people; I think we've discussed that idea previously. 

I would go for the latter. I can't image that a couple of years of opening yourself up to the often really cruel scrutiny of the whole world wouldn't make a person tip toward bitterness.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mojoker said:

Actually, having to have a co-signer is even more reason to get the mortgage. She may have a co-signer, but it's her credit that will reflect the credit diversity that a mortgage represents (you do better with different kinds of credit rather than just credit cards).  A promptly paid mortgage on your credit report is worth more than promptly paid revolving credit and can boost your score far higher and faster than just about anything else.

But we have no indication that she has or plans to, pay off the mortgage quickly.  On the contrary, it appears that she's already taken out a HELOC to turn what equity was into the house (which I'm guessing came mostly from the Daddy Bank) into an ATM.

• Love 1