Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Whitney Steps Up

• Start Topic

Whitney should be very concerned. She is one injury away from My 600 Pound Life. Seriously. If her ankle injury doesn't heal (due to her weight), and she becomes immobile for a long period, she then becomes wheelchair bound, then bed bound. And of course the weight is piling on during this time. I am concerned for her.

She already shares a lot of characteristics of the people on that show 1) lack of personal grooming and hygiene, ie, greasy hair; stained, dirty clothing; inability to wear shoes (and feet rolling to outsides of shoes), 2) complete lack of awareness of her size or eating habit (until too late) 3) being enabled by friends and/or family, 4) inability to keep employment, 5) sloppy housekeeping (in her case, she may have always been a slob). I hope she turns her life around. I would like to see her focus entirely on nutrition (for now) and stop trying to prove how fit she is because she clearly is not very fit. When she can control her eating habit, I would like to see her start a sensible fitness routine. JMO. Paging Dr. Now.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

Whitney should be very concerned. She is one injury away from My 600 Pound Life. Seriously. If her ankle injury doesn't heal (due to her weight), and she becomes immobile for a long period, she then becomes wheelchair bound, then bed bound. And of course the weight is piling on during this time. I am concerned for her.

She already shares a lot of characteristics of the people on that show 1) lack of personal grooming and hygiene, ie, greasy hair; stained, dirty clothing; inability to wear shoes (and feet rolling to outsides of shoes), 2) complete lack of awareness of her size or eating habit (until too late) 3) being enabled by friends and/or family, 4) inability to keep employment, 5) sloppy housekeeping (in her case, she may have always been a slob). I hope she turns her life around. I would like to see her focus entirely on nutrition (for now) and stop trying to prove how fit she is because she clearly is not very fit. When she can control her eating habit, I would like to see her start a sensible fitness routine. JMO. Paging Dr. Now.

6) in complete denial.

• Love 13
36 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

I agree on many points, but, I don't think there is evidence that she's not keeping her house clean.  Her room at her parent's room was messy, but, her new house seems okay to me.  And, she has a job that pays her quite well for a person with a 4 year degree in Greensboro, NC.   I agree with the rest.  I don't see her just being able to get fit without professional help though.  I think her disorder runs too deep.  I hope for it though. 

• Love 1

Cheesus on a cracker, she's having a hissy fit over 'not getting on radio'.

Girl, get your own radio show.  MRL have their own thing that they've probably worked to get together to be able to get on radio.

They had to build their own storytelling skills to be strong enough to get their own gig.  You just want to latch onto their work and climb on up.  Doesn't work that way.

What happened to your own "MBFF Podcast"?  Why couldn't you go to gay pride and get your own stories for your own show?

We all know that you'll never get on their show.  They'd seriously risk their listenership.

Ugh, the way she drapes her arms over Todd and FM's knees when talking to them.  Just freaking icky.  This woman is dope sick for affirmation.

Edited by qqererer
  • Love 8
53 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

Yup. And I would add a loss of normal modesty. The people on that show seem to have lost all desire to cover up, even with a sheet or something, and seem to think nothing of being splayed out naked in front of family members. Males and females both do this. Whit seems to think clothes are not really necessary an awful lot of the time, even in front of her parents. And TV cameras.

• Love 15

All the evidence I need for poor housekeeping is the stain on her sofa that she admitted was cat poop and the cat poop on the floor that had to be pointed out to her and seemed to have been there for days. As for employment, reality doesn't last forever. Maybe she can go on Family Bootcamp and get an extreme makeover ala Mama June to extend her 15 minutes and make some money. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, okerry said:

Yup. And I would add a loss of normal modesty. The people on that show seem to have lost all desire to cover up, even with a sheet or something, and seem to think nothing of being splayed out naked in front of family members. Males and females both do this. Whit seems to think clothes are not really necessary an awful lot of the time, even in front of her parents. And TV cameras.

This I really don't get  with her or with the people on the other show. The minute she got home with her mother, she took off her top and was running around in the sports bra.  It's not like she had on a big heavy sweater and was hot.  In Whitney's case, it may be because she appears to be an exhibitionist. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, okerry said:

I think they may do this for four reasons.

1. They are physically hot. Any physical exertion revs up their heart rate. Their bodies heat up and then the sweat pours on to try to cool them down. It would be the same for a normal weight person to do aerobic exercises.
  2. There isn't a lot of clothing selection for their size. So what they can find must be uncomfortable (too tight in the waist, too loose and in the way elsewhere). Their bodies are just not comfortable wearing clothes.
  3. It actually takes them a lot of work to pull down pants and underclothing to lay on a bed pan. If their bottoms are unclothed, they can just roll over and do their job.
  4. Their stomaches are so large, they cover their genitals. So why bother with clothing when you can't see anything even when stark naked? Of course, breasts can easily be seen, but that goes back to #2 because there aren't a lot of comfortable, well-fitting bras for their size.

You'd think they would have been uncomfortable enough to do something about their weight before it got that bad, but obviously not.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, John M said:

God, that just reminded me about something I listened to a while back about studying morbidly obese people, I think ones that had lost a lot of weight.

Many of them did not have mirrors in their houses or covered the ones the did have up. Same with personal photos. I don't know why that just came to me but morbidly obese people literally not wanting to look at themselves in the mirror is legitimately a thing apparently.

Yeah, Twit said she covered all the mirrors in her place years ago when she was depressed about gaining so much weight--either in college or just after.  Twit said this when she did the talk at her alma mater.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Her room at her parent's room was messy, but, her new house seems okay to me.

Didn't someone come in, and ask how long it had been since she cleaned the cats' litterboxes?
If it stinks, I don't consider it clean.
And Babs made some comment when told she was to go stay with Whit, and Whit told her she would was the sheets.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, okerry said:

She already needs someone to shave her legs and put on her shoes.  I think it's a gradual slide into degradation- as she gets comfortable with one, another comes along.  

Edited by princelina
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, greekmom said:

Is she trying to save some money? I mean in Season 1 wasn't she going to a professional every x amount of weeks to get extensions done professionally?  So now she has money to buy a home and live a FABULOUS life but no money to properly take care of her looks (especially with the fact she is on television) and time to do the basics (i.e. shower).

Yep.... her life is so freaking fabulous. (sarcasm)

I will give her a pass here, whether it is deserved or not. I'm in the 99%, and when I drop $150 on a haircut and color I almost always wistfully think about how much more solid my nest egg would be if I weren't so vain :(

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Alapaki said:

The thing is, when you compare her current "look" to the way she looked over the last two seasons, it's remarkable.  Either TLC cut the hair & makeup budget, or Whitney is really cheap or really broke.  Setting aside her weight (and remember to lift-with-your-legs when you do that) in Season 1 and somewhat Season 2 (especially in the THs) her hair and makeup looked really good.  But this season, even in the THs, she looks like hell.  

TLC is really not doing Whitney any favors by running these retrospective shows back-to-back with current season shows.

ITA, but I think what the contrast between Season 1 and now is showing us is a person who is increasingly unable to cope because of their refusal to face how their weight is contributing to their gradual physical decline.  It's not just her hair that's gone downhill, it's her physical condition in general, including her complexion and her physical agility.  In other words, her general physical decline is contributing to her increasing inability to cope with her appearance.  I don't doubt that a lot of what we're seeing is carefully edited to not show us the full extent of her decline, but it's so drastic that it's hard to hide it completely from the audience.  I think she has people behind the scenes that help her accomplish things that she would otherwise not be able to handle, as others have theorized on the board.  Given her general body dimensions and leg/foot issues, I would wonder how she could bend over enough to tie those shoelaces or even slip into shoes without help.  In fact, I wonder if that female housemate of hers isn't really also her personal care assistant, to borrow a phrase from "My 600 lb. life".

• Love 18
12 hours ago, greekmom said:

Is she trying to save some money? I mean in Season 1 wasn't she going to a professional every x amount of weeks to get extensions done professionally?  So now she has money to buy a home and live a FABULOUS life but no money to properly take care of her looks (especially with the fact she is on television) and time to do the basics (i.e. shower).

Yep.... her life is so freaking fabulous. (sarcasm)

See my post above.  I think this is due to her increasing inability to physically cope because of her physical/medical condition.  She simply can't handle putting in the time and effort it would take to keep up with her appearance the way she used to.  If she needs helpers just to get her in and out of her shoes, driving her around (like that scene where Todd is driving), etc., she's struggling more with the basics and has less time/energy left for the finer points of grooming.  It's probably a big effort for her just to take a shower.  I am sure she would have difficulty reaching her body parts "where the sun don't shine" too.  She's proven on camera that she can't even bend over enough to accomplish simple dance moves, how is she even able to handle some of the most basic physical hygiene aspects?  I noticed her toenails are looking a little long these days too.  I'm sure she can't reach them and has to have them done for her.  That's a lot of dependence on others that I'm sure she probably doesn't want to admit she needs and might avoid to the point that she is starting to look messy and dirty.

I know this is a gross thing to think about but I also wonder how she handles reaching her bum when on the toilet.  She may have been able to handle everything when younger and more agile but given some of the setbacks she's had and her declining physical agility plus the settling of her fat around the middle/lower area of her body, I'd wonder how she accomplishes even that.

I think about these things because last Fall I had a horrible fall where I broke my dominant arm so badly I needed surgery and was unable to use my arm/hand for quite a while.  Plus I am 58 years old and overweight although half Twit's weight.  For quite a while I needed help with the most basic things and couldn't even take a shower without my husband's assistance.  Things I took for granted were suddenly impossible to do - more things than I would have thought, although thankfully reaching my bum with my non-dominant arm was not a problem.  Even when I regained some of the use of my hand it would literally take me HOURS to get ready for a doctor appointment if I didn't have help.  And forget about driving.  Sure I had one good hand/arm, but forget about moving the shift lever!  I had to find shoes I could slip into without using my hands at all, etc.  It extended to many things I would not have anticipated.  So that makes me think there are many things Twit is not handling that she is hiding from public view as much as possible.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, John M said:

Question:

Whit is all about no body shame and loving the body you have and acceptance, I mean that's her entire thing. She has thinning hair, that's the truth, that's her body, why can't she accept that? Lots of women have thinning hair and don't wear wigs or have hair added. My boyfriend has very thin hair and he wears hats about as often as I do with a thick head of hair, I would never ask him to wear a toupee or a hat or even try Rogaine or Propecia. He's not ashamed of his thinning hair.

So why can't Whit just accept her hair? Women with thin hair isn't any less socially acceptable than morbidly obese women. She claims her weight is just as out of her control as her thinning hair. She says she isn't worried about what other people think of her body or her personal appearance. So why tape in hair? Is it because you are actually embarrassed by your body but the fix to the hair is quick and easy and someone else does it for you? Where is the no body shaming for all the women that have naturally thinning hair but can't afford to have hair tapped in all the time? You aren't going to stand up for their bodies and lead by example?

As a woman I have thought about this because even Catholic nuns I know color and style their hair even if they do NOTHING else to their appearance and aspire not to have any worldly vanity, LOL.  Even feminists that abhor everything associated with makeup and what it symbolizes color their hair, LOL.  Even many very old women with wrinkles and saggy flesh that wear no makeup and dress plainly would rather DIE than walk out with bald patches and (gasp) GRAY hair!  LOL  It's a woman thing, I guess, to be so self conscious and at times wildly philosophically inconsistent about their hair.  I know many men are defiant about not coloring their hair but let's face it, they have a lot less negative social stigma attached to going gray and balding than women do.  Thinning hair to a woman may actually be as unacceptable as being obese (or even more!).  And it's definitely a much easier fix to improve one's hair than one's weight in many cases, so that's the reason a woman would be more likely to fix her hair and improve its appearance than to lower her body weight.  And if unsuccessful at losing weight they just put up with the shame.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

See my post above.  I think this is due to her increasing inability to physically cope because of her physical/medical condition.  She simply can't handle putting in the time and effort it would take to keep up with her appearance the way she used to.  If she needs helpers just to get her in and out of her shoes, driving her around (like that scene where Todd is driving), etc., she's struggling more with the basics and has less time/energy left for the finer points of grooming.  It's probably a big effort for her just to take a shower.  I am sure she would have difficulty reaching her body parts "where the sun don't shine" too.  She's proven on camera that she can't even bend over enough to accomplish simple dance moves, how is she even able to handle some of the most basic physical hygiene aspects?  I noticed her toenails are looking a little long these days too.  I'm sure she can't reach them and has to have them done for her.  That's a lot of dependence on others that I'm sure she probably doesn't want to admit she needs and might avoid to the point that she is starting to look messy and dirty.

I know this is a gross thing to think about but I also wonder how she handles reaching her bum when on the toilet.  She may have been able to handle everything when younger and more agile but given some of the setbacks she's had and her declining physical agility plus the settling of her fat around the middle/lower area of her body, I'd wonder how she accomplishes even that.

I think about these things because last Fall I had a horrible fall where I broke my dominant arm so badly I needed surgery and was unable to use my arm/hand for quite a while.  Plus I am 58 years old and overweight although half Twit's weight.  For quite a while I needed help with the most basic things and couldn't even take a shower without my husband's assistance.  Things I took for granted were suddenly impossible to do - more things than I would have thought, although thankfully reaching my bum with my non-dominant arm was not a problem.  Even when I regained some of the use of my hand it would literally take me HOURS to get ready for a doctor appointment if I didn't have help.  And forget about driving.  Sure I had one good hand/arm, but forget about moving the shift lever!  I had to find shoes I could slip into without using my hands at all, etc.  It extended to many things I would not have anticipated.  So that makes me think there are many things Twit is not handling that she is hiding from public view as much as possible.

So sorry, Snarklepuss, that sounds like a royal pain. 

We posted abt a "shit stick" during first season..yep,  it's gross.  

Twit's on-again, off-again boot for her sprained toe is really a different case than an arm which we all really need to function. I remember when my son was a baby, and I had to do things with one arm cuz I was holding him in the other.  But it wasn't painful, as your arm sounds. 

No pass for Twitney.  She doesn't have a fucking job, so what does she do all day that she can't squeeze in a fucking shower and shampoo?  No, just no. 

I won't even go into cleaning the cat boxes. As I said before. I think Donna may get a break on rent for some services. ...senshus massages, but not cleaning apparently.

TLC cameras in Twit's house does not constitute a job.

And even if it did, Twit's already shown how she appears at a potential job at the radio station--grimy and greasy.  

Seriously, can anyone defend Twit v. A Shower? 

• Love 13

Re: Whit's mobility

Remember not too long ago when she was doing stairs at the parking garage with Will?

Yeah, no she physically will not go upstairs at her parent's house or even her own. She struggled on a fucking ramp in NY. She required, required, the assistance of the handrail to go down like 5 steps at Will's gym in the most awkwardly way possible.

I'm sure Whit will blame her bum knee "which can happen to anyone regardless of weight" but the truth is she is already physically disabled by her obesity to the point that she can no longer function as an able bodied person in the most basic of daily tasks.

• Love 15
30 minutes ago, John M said:

Remember not too long ago when she was doing stairs at the parking garage with Will?

Regarding those stairs and her oh so remarkable climb, I wonder how many editors cuts it took to put it all together?   If she can barely get up a slight ramp, there is no way she can climb those stairs without the help of the magic of pause, resume and splice it all together.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Pachengala said:

If it ever comes up I will deny I ever took the time and energy to do this, but @Dot I just love ya that much! 

I understand the metal bolt like earrings but what are the strings coming out of her earlobe holes & various other places? Are they part of the earrings? Are they strings to hold the holes open?  

15 hours ago, okerry said:

Oh, but remember how she went on about being embarrassed to belly dance around her family, esp Dad, with all her skin exposed?  Not to mention she thought it was OK to walk around in a sheet in front of her parents. She's wants us to think she's the demure Southern Belle but she comes across as a gross sweaty slob with various body parts being continually exposed for the attention. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Cherrio said:

Regarding those stairs and her oh so remarkable climb, I wonder how many editors cuts it took to put it all together?   If she can barely get up a slight ramp, there is no way she can climb those stairs without the help of the magic of pause, resume and splice it all together.

I agree...I remember back then after that episode, I immediately thought - what total BS.  LOL  There is NO WAY she did them as fast as Will's stopwatch indicated.  Sorry Whit.  No believe.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

what are the strings coming out of her earlobe holes & various other places? Are they part of the earrings? Are they strings to hold the holes open?

There are no strings. What I think you're seeing as strings are loose hairs. They appear as if they aren't attached to her hair because the color changes at about the same place as her ears start. So it's an optical illusion.

You know, that also begs the question... if she has problems with thinning hair, why did she damage her hair by bleaching it? I'd expect her to be extra careful with the hair she still has. Once again, obviously not.

• Love 6
On 4/20/2017 at 5:07 PM, Dot said:

Thanks, m'dear. I'm 78-years-old; my train to Modernityville left the station 50+ years ago. I need all the help I can get to figure this stuff out! BTW, I think those things inTwit's ear are really ugly, not to mention both her back tatoos.

I'm 29 and I find the earrings unflattering and the back tattoos downright hideous.  

On 4/20/2017 at 5:29 PM, LocalGovt said:

I'd love to see a sit down conversation about Whitney and her weight issues between Glenn and Dr. Now.

I bet Glenn would spill the beans if given the chance.  One of us has to go undercover in Greensboro and earn his trust.

• Love 9
On 4/20/2017 at 4:05 PM, gonecrackers said:

Henchi has some serious resting bitch face. Can't blame him what with being molested consistently.

Right? I would too if my human care provider tried to steal my breath all the time. 

• Love 10
On 2017-04-20 at 2:04 PM, Complexity said:

I posted pictures showing them in this message. Look at the two pictures on the top.

Thanks!  The greasy hair grosses me out so I don't look too close.  The dark roots thing does Whit no favours because it makes her hair look even dirtier. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

As a woman I have thought about this because even Catholic nuns I know color and style their hair even if they do NOTHING else to their appearance and aspire not to have any worldly vanity, 

OMGosh.  I was in prep school when the nuns went from a full habit to a suit. I remember one asked a friend of mine to get her some hair dye at the store. Boy, that was a long time ago. 

I'm getting my roots done tomorrow. I have no plans to go grey until I stop working, and maybe not then. A person out in the world has to look like a human being, for goodness sake. : )

• Love 2
On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Kid said:

This I really don't get  with her or with the people on the other show. The minute she got home with her mother, she took off her top and was running around in the sports bra.  It's not like she had on a big heavy sweater and was hot.  In Whitney's case, it may be because she appears to be an exhibitionist. 

Ok, here's a new take on Twit's exhibitionism:  what if she is trying to emulate Lena Dunham in Girls?  

I watched a part  of one episode last night cuz I was at a friend's house,  and Lena just strips naked--nothing on--and then gets dressed in different clothes,  while talking to her mom, who is in the same room.  I don't watchthe.  Girls  regularly, cuz I watched it once years sgo and it was kind of boring, but as I have heard that Lena is not shy abt being filmed nude often. 

1. So is our Twit trying to be hip and cool and nonchalant by showing us that she is comfortable with her unclad body? 

2. Or is Twit hot, sweaty, uncomfortable in ill-fitting clothes,  and an exhibitionist because she does it at inappropriate times, like when her dad is around or on camera generally?  

IDK.  Twit's kind of old chronologically, but a tween mentally and emotionally, so she may be both. 

If  she wasn't such a  greasy, needy, immature, delusional, guffawing narcissist, scarfing down junk food, heading toward 600 pound. disabilities, would her NBS mystify us at all? 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Nancypants said:

Is the title of this episode intended to be Ironic? Since when does Whitney EVER "Step Up"? Perhaps to the Buffet, but in but in general? Nerp.

Agreed.  The last time they showed her walking up a step (stepping up) was to try to get back in Will's good graces.  

• Love 1

She refuses to "Step up " in the metaphorical sense as well, aka show any Hustle or desire to improve her life. Her entire fat acceptance campaign is an utterly self serving way for her to remain a lazy slob. " Change YOUR thinking, so I can stay entombed in my coffin of flesh!"

• Love 7

Here's my list of improbables for this episode. By that I mean things that are beyond being faked for so-called dramatic effect & into the realm of this-is-unlikely-to-have-happened.

? Breakfast dishes & milk left on table. Babs was not having symptoms that would have required an ambulance & EMTs. Glenn drove her to the hospital, so there was no reason not to clear the table.

? Hunter at bedside. Hunter lives in New York. Odds are that he would NOT have been visiting Greensboro at this moment.

? The delayed phone call from Glenn to Twit. This family is so disturbing interdependent that they probably call each other when they go Number 2. There is NO way that Glenn was not on the phone to Twit as soon as he started off to the hospital with Babs.

? Babs recuperating at Twit's house. There no way Glenn would have permitted that. But he would have told Twit to get her fat ass over to HIS house to do chores, such as taking care of the pig.

? Babs' bicycle horn. The only reason for that was so the scriptwriters could feed her cute Babs lines.

? Mr. Fit's visit. It's as likely he just happened to choose this weekend to visit Greensboro as it is that Hunter did, so as to set up a dilemma for Twit.

? Mr. Fit's offer. He'd only make it if he hadn't seen his own video.

4 hours ago, Tosia said:

Ok, here's a new take on Twit's exhibitionism:  what if she is trying to emulate Lena Dunham in Girls?  

I watched a part  of one episode last night cuz I was at a friend's house,  and Lena just strips naked--nothing on--and then gets dressed in different clothes,  while talking to her mom, who is in the same room.  I don't watchthe.  Girls  regularly, cuz I watched it once years sgo and it was kind of boring, but as I have heard that Lena is not shy abt being filmed nude often. 

1. So is our Twit trying to be hip and cool and nonchalant by showing us that she is comfortable with her unclad body? 

2. Or is Twit hot, sweaty, uncomfortable in ill-fitting clothes,  and an exhibitionist because she does it at inappropriate times, like when her dad is around or on camera generally?  

IDK.  Twit's kind of old chronologically, but a tween mentally and emotionally, so she may be both. 

If  she wasn't such a  greasy, needy, immature, delusional, guffawing narcissist, scarfing down junk food, heading toward 600 pound. disabilities, would her NBS mystify us at all? 

I vote for #2.

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, Dot said:

? Mr. Fit's offer. He'd only make it if he hadn't seen his own video.

All good, but this for sure.

(On the other hand, I guess snark/hate watchers on youtube all add to the numbers.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Dot said:

? The delayed phone call from Glenn to Twit. This family is so disturbing interdependent that they probably call each other when they go Number 2. There is NO way that Glenn was not on the phone to Twit as soon as he started off to the hospital with Babs.

I can actually see this playing out the way we saw it.  After all, Whitney is absolutely useless in a crisis.  She's guaranteed to make it all about herself, as we saw happen.  Glenn has got to know that by now.  I can totally see him waiting to call her until he knew a little more about what was going on.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Alapaki said:

I can actually see this playing out the way we saw it.  After all, Whitney is absolutely useless in a crisis.  She's guaranteed to make it all about herself, as we saw happen.  Glenn has got to know that by now.  I can totally see him waiting to call her until he knew a little more about what was going on.

I definitely see your point. It's perhaps even reinforced by Glenn's shuting down Twit's whining about Babs' horn-honking by telling her she should be glad her mother is able to. But, I duuno. There's just something so weird about how these ppl interact with one another...

• Love 4

I think it's weird that no one even considered that Glenn could take some time off of work to take care of his wife in their home for a few days. Or even just to give himself some time to recover from the shock of almost losing his wife. The fact that he's even still working though he's well past retirement age (and I'm assuming that he's in the financial position to be able to retire) suggests to me that he's somewhat of a workaholic who would rather avoid being at home for whatever reasons. Don't really blame him too much if that's the case.

But it was just weird that not a single person suggested that, and instead they all thought Whitney was the perfect candidate even though she's the most physically limited member of the family. Seems like a total setup for the show, which feels weird to me when it's about something as serious as recovering from life-threatening situation.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, M.F. Luder said:

I think it's weird that no one even considered that Glenn could take some time off of work to take care of his wife in their home for a few days. Or even just to give himself some time to recover from the shock of almost losing his wife. The fact that he's even still working though he's well past retirement age (and I'm assuming that he's in the financial position to be able to retire) suggests to me that he's somewhat of a workaholic who would rather avoid being at home for whatever reasons. Don't really blame him too much if that's the case.

But it was just weird that not a single person suggested that, and instead they all thought Whitney was the perfect candidate even though she's the most physically limited member of the family. Seems like a total setup for the show, which feels weird to me when it's about something as serious as recovering from life-threatening situation.

I totally agree with you. My husband would have taken off work.  And I often wonder why Glenn is still working. He must work some place where he isnt forced out by ageism.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

I totally agree with you. My husband would have taken off work.  And I often wonder why Glenn is still working. He must work some place where he isnt forced out by ageism.  

Glenn works in the printing industry in a major role. I've been in that field or adjacent since the 1980's to the present so I know the factors involved. I get it now. Yes, he's not only immune to ageism but in his particular area his age works for him, not against, and he would make a really, really generous income. It's the kind of job that means he can keep going in it until he's physically unable to. That said, as an executive in the company he could absolutely have taken time off.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

The fact that he's even still working though he's well past retirement age (and I'm assuming that he's in the financial position to be able to retire) suggests to me that he's somewhat of a workaholic who would rather avoid being at home for whatever reasons.

Yeah, some people are just that way, my father's retirement lasted all of about 2 years and he retired a multimillionaire who lives pretty modestly, well below they way he could afford to live. 

I suspect he will work until the day he dies or when he physically can't do it any longer, which is his stated plan. He works part-time with plenty of time to travel which is his one major passion so I figure why not if going into an office three days a week gives him a sense of fulfillment. 

Edited by John M
  • Love 3
On 4/19/2017 at 8:26 AM, Meowza said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the Fitness Marshall a little creepy and off-putting?

Honestly, he reminds me of my SIL's nephew who has the same build as the FM and the same loud, obnoxious behaviour. I'm pretty sure he's (the SIL's nephew) has some serious mental issues - something akin to sociopathy - based on how he has behaved around us and the SIL and now her kids for the past decade+. So yes - I find the FM a LOT creepy and off-putting. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, fountain said:

Thanks!  The greasy hair grosses me out so I don't look too close.  The dark roots thing does Whit no favours because it makes her hair look even dirtier. 

Those are tape in extensions,.  I wear extensions but mine are braided in, just for length and fullness.  I would never do tape ins, especially with Whits hair,,,awful

Why doesn't she just get fat surgery? She needs help, and won't admit it

• Love 3
On 4/20/2017 at 5:11 PM, John M said:

She can't fit in chairs or put on shoes but thinning hair is just too much to accept about her body?

She did mention on some episode (I forget which - it's becoming a big fat fabulous blur) that it was ironic that she was so accepting of her weight/body but still hadn't come to a place of acceptance about the thinning hair. She was at Maddie's salon at the time getting a new weave put in. I think that was also when Maddie suggested she try wigs. Dunno. Could be too that the thinning hair is something beyond her ability to change and so harder to accept? Weight she can change and (deep down) she has to know that she weighs what she weighs because of what she eats and what she does (or doesn't do). It seems a little counter-intuitive that she'd accept the thing she COULD change more easily than the thing she CAN'T change but maybe in that twisted little excuse for a brain of hers, that's what's going on. Just my two migraine-saturated cents.

• Love 2
On 4/22/2017 at 3:35 AM, Nancypants said:

Is the title of this episode intended to be Ironic? Since when does Whitney EVER "Step Up"? Perhaps to the Buffet, but in but in general? Nerp.

In fairness, she did have to use the Rubbermaid step to "step up" onto Babs' bed. I'm guessing that the stool is there for the dog OR for Babs since it looks like a pretty high bed and Babs (though spry) ain't no spring chicken. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Christi said:

Why doesn't she just get fat surgery? She needs help, and won't admit it

She'd have to be prepared to follow a diet, before and after surgery, and I've seen no indication she'd do it.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

She'd have to be prepared to follow a diet, before and after surgery, and I've seen no indication she'd do it.

And she would prove herself to be the fraud we know her to be to her fervent fans. She would acknowledge that you are NOT able to be fit at 350# & need to do something about it. That you DO need to care about your body & what you have done to it. That health is more important than pandering for TLC bucks by pretending your life is fabulous.

• Love 6

I would think that she could find cute clothing. Torrid offers really cure clothing up to a 6X and that's a hip circumference of 70 inches. What size do you think that she is? I would think that she has some TV money to spend. Nordstrom and Lane Bryant offer some kind of meh plus size clothes also. I think that she is just depressed and in a funk. And depression is a bitch.

Losing weight is freaking IMPOSSIBLE for me. I was hoping that this show or Ruby would be an inspiring success story like Biggest Loser without having to live in a fitness bubble to accomplish it. My acquaintances who have had weight loss surgery have had mixed results. One of them died during the operation.  Another gal had lots of side effects that required additional surgery and she picked up an opiate habit after using painkillers post surgery and ended up overdosing - before she dies she often commented that she should have just stayed fat. Three of my friends gained their weight back. Two others have lost significant amounts of weight and deal with nauseas and elimination issues but their weight is at a much healthier level.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

Losing weight is freaking IMPOSSIBLE for me.

Hope you find something that works.
I lost about 50lbs or more when I retired, by being away from a snack table, and instead of lunch with friends, it was fixing meals for my elderly mother.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

I would think that she could find cute clothing. Torrid offers really cure clothing up to a 6X and that's a hip circumference of 70 inches. What size do you think that she is?

FWIW, in one of the initial episodes of the series Whit had I think Todd measure her, and her hip measurement came in at 70 inches. That was the episode where they had to find a second tape measure because the ordinary first one wasn't big enough. And where Whit tried to finesse the too-small measure by saying she could try and "suck in" her hips, causing Todd to ask what the point would be, since it would mean the clothing she was measuring for would be too tight. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, tdanaher said:

That was the episode where they had to find a second tape measure because the ordinary first one wasn't big enough. And where Whit tried to finesse the too-small measure by saying she could try and "suck in" her hips, causing Todd to ask what the point would be, since it would mean the clothing she was measuring for would be too tight. 

I missed that, but I'm cracking up reading your retelling of it.

• Love 1