Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvelous Cast

• Start Topic

This is such an interesting cast to me. So many familiar faces. I adore Kevin Pollack and Tony Shalhoub. Marin Hinkle is really terrific. I wasn't familiar with Rachel Brosnahan, but she is great! 

It's just Michael Zegen I can't stand. I've never liked him in anything. I guess it works for the character, because (at least three episodes in) he is such a jerk. 

It took me four episodes to realize this was Rachel Brosnahan from House of Cards and Olive Kitteridge. And I loved her in both of those things. Major spoiler for HOC

Spoiler

I remember watching HOC and thinking she should have been cast as the reporter, Zoe, so then maybe we'd care when she died.

I thought she was great in this show from the start but I am totally wowed by her talent now. Everything about her persona is different from anything else I've seen her in.

It's just Michael Zegen I can't stand. I've never liked him in anything. I guess it works for the character, because (at least three episodes in) he is such a jerk. 

Agreed. And I think we are supposed to find him charming and sympathetic even though he's such a jerk. And I just think he's a pathetic loser. I don't even mind what he did in leaving his wife. It's just his personality I can't stand.

Edited by CherithCutestory

Although she has worked steadily, I haven't really seen Marin Hinkle in much since Once and Again, so I still picture her as Sela Ward's somewhat scattered younger sister.  It's a kick seeing her in a period mom-role.

• Love 1

I liked Michael Zagen in his very small "Brooklyn" role but even then I could tell he might get insufferable as a romantic lead. Here, he is just a complete needy drip. There's a neediness to the ACTOR - it's not just Joel. They write plenty of wannabe quick on the uptake stuff for Joel, like he can keep up, but I don't buy it. I read that the actor is getting negative feedback even on the street, but the spin is they don't like what his character did to Midge and are confusing Zagen with his character. I don't think they are. I think they just plain don't like Zagen, especially with Midge. I don't give a damn what his character did to Midge. That's just plot set up. It's HIM I don't like. I am dreading ASP trying to sell him to us in S2, and you know she will. She'll be "We just need a brighter, shinier Michael Zegan as Joel!"

OTOH, what has Luke Kirby been in other than this? Does his charisma in this role translate to others?

Edited by DianeDobbler
On 8/15/2018 at 11:44 PM, DianeDobbler said:

OTOH, what has Luke Kirby been in other than this? Does his charisma in this role translate to others?

I knew him right away from The Astronaut Wives Club, where he played the reporter from Life magazine who shadowed the wives for an in-depth article.  To my knowledge, that was the first thing in which I'd ever seen him and he made an instant impression.  

Hah, I came back to this thread reading from the bottom up and thought for a second the recent posts were extolling Michael Zagen in other roles. Blech. So glad it's Luke Kirby. I love how he carries himself - he is not pushing to be liked or to get sympathy - very natural and a nice rhythm.

• Love 1

I know him from Slings and Arrows season one where he played a Hollywood action star out of his depth playing Hamlet at a Shakespeare theatre festival. Most of his scenes were with Rachel McAdams.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:
On August 15, 2018 at 10:44 PM, DianeDobbler said:

I know him from Slings and Arrows season one where he played a Hollywood action star out of his depth playing Hamlet at a Shakespeare theatre festival. Most of his scenes were with Rachel McAdams.

And . . .? 
Did they have off the charts chemistry like he does here with Rachel Brosnahan?

Luke Kirby is in a lot of episodes of Rectify too. He was the innocence project style lawyer that dated Abigail Spencer's Amantha character. I think his name on the show was Jon. I don't remember the last name.

I enjoyed him in Maisel so much I wish they didn't make him a real life comic. 

• Love 1
On 10/1/2018 at 8:39 PM, shapeshifter said:

And . . .? 
Did they have off the charts chemistry like he does here with Rachel Brosnahan?

I found him and Rachel [McAdams] charming but secondary to the charms of Paul Gross and Martha Burns, so I would not personally think of calling their chemistry off the charts. But I liked them together a lot.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Clarifying which Rachel I meant.
  • Love 1

Just at the Trivi Fountain yesterday with my 23 year old daughter, who suddenly screamed, “it’s our Lizzie McGuire moment! Sing to me, Paolo!”

In that moment, I realized I first knew Alex Borstein from “The Lizzie McGuire Movie,” not from all the cool shows I referenced to my friends. So, thanks motherhood ;)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Why Rachel Brosnahan and Her Husband Jason Ralph Choose to Keep Their Marriage Private

At the SAG Awards on Sunday, Brosnahan said that she and Ralph have actually “been married for years,” but clarified her choice to avoid discussing her marriage publicly in the following statement:

“I’ve been quite private about my personal life for a few reasons. The first being that it’s just that…personal,” she said. “Jason and I also noticed early on that, while we are both the leads of successful television series, he has almost never been asked about our relationship while I have been asked on almost every red carpet I have walked in the last 2 years. We both find this double standard problematic and frustrating and opted to redirect those conversations to our work.”

• Love 3

Just read an interesting interview with Zachary Levi.  He’s been cast Ina film as a superhero named Shazam.  Zachary has been through a lot — wishing him well.  I love him as Benjamin (first time I’ve ever seen him in anything).

Brandon Uranowitz, who played Buzz in S2, has been nominated for a Tony!

Best Featured Actor in a Play
Bertie Carvel, Ink
Robin De Jesús, The Boys in the Band
Gideon Glick, To Kill a Mockingbird
Brandon Uranowitz, Burn This
Benjamin Walker, All My Sons

On 8/15/2018 at 10:44 PM, DianeDobbler said:

I liked Michael Zagen in his very small "Brooklyn" role but even then I could tell he might get insufferable as a romantic lead. Here, he is just a complete needy drip. There's a neediness to the ACTOR - it's not just Joel. They write plenty of wannabe quick on the uptake stuff for Joel, like he can keep up, but I don't buy it. I read that the actor is getting negative feedback even on the street, but the spin is they don't like what his character did to Midge and are confusing Zagen with his character. I don't think they are. I think they just plain don't like Zagen, especially with Midge. I don't give a damn what his character did to Midge. That's just plot set up. It's HIM I don't like. I am dreading ASP trying to sell him to us in S2, and you know she will. She'll be "We just need a brighter, shinier Michael Zegan as Joel!"

Luke Kirby was wonderful in the first season of Slings and Arrows (maybe my favorite season of TV ever.) I’m a Canadian media nerd and I’ve only ever seen him in Canadian shows before. I remember the first time I watched Republic of Doyle, he had a small recurring role and it wasn’t until his third episode that I thought, “That guy reminds me of Luke Kirby. Oh! It IS Luke Kirby.”

On 1/21/2020 at 4:12 PM, luvthepros said:

I just love Michael Zegan....the actor, not the character Joel. Sometimes, though, I forget what a cheater Joel is and still find him very sexy.

This is a great interview......

Edited by luvthepros

Seeing what a good actor Alex Borstein is on this show made me wonder why the Palladinos didn't use her more on GG. I remember she was originally to play Sookie St. James, but was replaced by Melissa McCarthy. Turns out Alex was under contract for MadTV at the time, so wasn't available for the Sookie role.

• Love 1

I loved this Encounters article in yesterday's New York Times: "Marin Hinkle of ‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ Melts Chocolate"
nytimes.com/2022/03/18/style/marin-hinkle-of-the-marvelous-mrs-maisel-melts-chocolate.html

. . . Ms. Kennison and Ms. Hinkle met in high school nearly 40 years ago, and spent a summer working at a candy store in Boston, eating bonbons on the job. After college, they both moved to Los Angeles, birthing sons a month apart.

A few years ago, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” the comedy that Ms. Hinkle stars in, shot a couple of episodes in Paris. Ms. Hinkle traded in her first-class plane ticket for four coach seats and invited Ms. Kennison to join her. Their sons came, too.

“I made them go to every chocolate shop in Paris,” Ms. Kennison said.

Ms. Hinkle smiled. “The chocolate has never stopped,” she added. . . .

Message me if you have trouble viewing and want to read it in its entirety.

So we’ve got Justine Lupe (Willa / Astrid) on Succession and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and only tonight I realized that Peter Friedman (Frank / Gordon) is on both as well.  Both are playing dramatically different parts on two hugely successful shows — quite fun for them!  

Tony Shalhoub joins the cast of Milo Ventimiglia's new show, The Company You Keep. Tony's first episode is Sunday, April 30. Maybe we'll see an alternate reality Abe punch Sylvio in the nose for lying to Midge. It won't hurt. He's not strong.

‘The Company You Keep’ Adds Tony Shalhoub in Recurring Role (EXCLUSIVE)

ETA: Luke Kirby appeared in Episode 3, but I haven't seen it yet and don't know if that was a guest or recurring spot.

ETA some more: Marin Hinkle is also in at least one episode.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Useful 1

I knew Luke Kirby from the hilarious Canadian film Mambo Italiano and the short lived series Cra$h & Burn (a Canadian streetwise insurance adjuster Jimmy Burn as he navigates the gritty streets of Hamilton, Ontario).  

just caught alex borstein’s prime video special that dropped last week — ‘corsets and clown suits’ — which shot on tmmm’s nightclub set before it was struck. 

worth watching: vulgar (of course:), but very funny and often poignant. her marriage to jackson douglas ended in 2017, and she’s still processing. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Luke Kirby and the guy who plays Alfie, the magician, are set to be in Amy and Daniel's new series for Amazon -- another ballet-themed series for them called Etoile.  I will check it out -- wasn't a fan of Bunheads so we shall see...

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

just caught alex borstein’s prime video special that dropped last week — ‘corsets and clown suits’ — which shot on tmmm’s nightclub set before it was struck. 

worth watching: vulgar (of course:), but very funny and often poignant. her marriage to jackson douglas ended in 2017, and she’s still processing. 

It's on my watchlist, but I'm waiting until I finish the season before I watch it.  I just love Alex B as Suzie, I haven't seen her in anything else, so I don't want to be distracted by seeing her as herself before the season's over.  Just her picture with her being glammed up is so shockingly different than Suzie (who I always wish had a makeover montage in this show, just for shits and giggles). 

Superman Legacy cast includes Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane.

Superman Legacy, the movie that will mark the live-action rebirth of the DC Universe, has added three new actors to its cast, each of them playing a superhero with a long history in the comic books. Isabela Merced will play Hawkgirl, Edi Gathegi will be Mister Terrific and Nathan Fillion will portray a Green Lantern (although not necessarily the Green Lantern.)

James Gunn, who wrote and will direct the 2025 movie, has already cast David Corenswet (The Politician) as Clark Kent and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel star Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane. When it starts shooting in January 2024…

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/07/superman-legacy-cast?utm_source=syndication

• Like 1
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Superman Legacy cast includes Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane.

Oh darn.  For a minute I got the names mixes up and I was picturing Susie as Lois Lane.  I would watch that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh darn.  For a minute I got the names mixes up and I was picturing Susie as Lois Lane.  I would watch that.

How about Alex Borstein (Susie) as Jamie/Jimmy Olsen?

Edited by shapeshifter