Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Lupe & Ashley D

• Start Topic

On 4/14/2017 at 9:00 PM, Armchair Critic said:

$1,500 is all they get for that humiliation?  I don't care how much money they gave me, I would never let them film me showering! Though I do realize at their sizes Dr. Now may be the only doctor who would give them surgery, but if I were them I would try to get a surgery with Dr. Now without being on the show.

My thought is that the show is getting more and more of an audience as they keep renewing it and, apparently, Dr. Now continues to actively continue in his thriving practice.  I would guess that Dr. Now is in his 70's and I am impressed with the precision and skill he shows with these complex surgeries.  

My guess is that he gets paid A LOT of $$$ and the reason the patients he chooses are obviously from a low social strata is because they are unsophisticated and agree to appear for such a paltry fee.  

I mean $1,500 for going through such humiliation and grotesque exposure is ridiculous!!  I think the patients need professional "management" to get a fee that better reflects their personal sacrifices.  After all, without the patients there would be no show!! LOL

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Otter said:

Yes, I drew a conclusion but IMO a valid one.  Anyone with a lick of common sense would know that sex wouldn't be a good idea so early in the healing process.  He had "needs" -- so what?  She had needs?  I really doubt it, hurting as much as she said.  

He wasn't giving her "comfort".  He hurt her.  Can you imagine her cries?  Not of pleasure but of agony.  And he didn't stop until he was finished.  Violence?  No I wouldn't go that far but what the heck is wrong with him to even fulfill his needs?  

Would you want sex with giant fresh sutures in you?  No one is that horny.

I agree.  I'm guessing it never occurred to Doc Now to tell them no sex until the sutures were out and she was healed.  I'm guessing the horn dog was overcome with lust now that he could get on top without the fleshy barrier.  Bah...

• Love 4

Was Gilbert turned on by rte blue eyeshadow, or the green or the red.  Woman makes herself up like a hooker but as soon as she was away from from him, the horrid makeup stopped.  

Yeah, apparently back together again.  Sadly.  So sorry that they brought God in their mess and a mess it is.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Otter said:

Yes, I drew a conclusion but IMO a valid one.  Anyone with a lick of common sense would know that sex wouldn't be a good idea so early in the healing process.  He had "needs" -- so what?  She had needs?  I really doubt it, hurting as much as she said.  

He wasn't giving her "comfort".  He hurt her.  Can you imagine her cries?  Not of pleasure but of agony.  And he didn't stop until he was finished.  Violence?  No I wouldn't go that far but what the heck is wrong with him to even fulfill his needs?  

Would you want sex with giant fresh sutures in you?  No one is that horny.

I cannot imagine the kind of person who wants to have sex with someone in her condition who just had major surgery.  Even if she is begging him for sex, which she's not, a normal, loving husband wouldn't do it.  The woman had at least 3 of those drainage bags or tubes that I saw when she pulled her shirt up, for God's sake.  Gilbert looked high most of the time, but no excuses for this. And it didn't seem to bother him to be on national tv after doing such a thing.  

• Love 12
3 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

What's up with her lips? It looks like she used lip liner and forgot to use lipstick on her lips. Is this some type of odd beauty trend?

It is actually a style adopted by female hispanics called "chola". It has certain characteristics, but one that seems to always be present is the dark lined lips.

IMG_2170.JPG

• Love 3
4 hours ago, KateHearts said:

That's my point. Just because her incision opened doesn't automatically imply violence on his part.

Rape does not require violence. There is sexual assault and there is aggravated sexual assault. Only aggravated sexual assault includes violence. Being coerced into unwanted sex is still rape.

• Love 5

When I was in the hospital having my first child there was a girl in the next room who was very young, maybe 16-17? Anyway she had her baby the same day as me and the next day the nurse walked in and caught her boyfriend having sex with her in the hospital bed! Not even 24 hours after the baby was born. What kind of man thinks that's ok? My husband was appalled! That area was a hot mess, with stitches and random fluids, why would a guy want to get down on that?

GIlbert is our answer I think. He would have no issues and he has proved that.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Arynm said:

When I was in the hospital having my first child there was a girl in the next room who was very young, maybe 16-17? Anyway she had her baby the same day as me and the next day the nurse walked in and caught her boyfriend having sex with her in the hospital bed! Not even 24 hours after the baby was born. What kind of man thinks that's ok? My husband was appalled! That area was a hot mess, with stitches and random fluids, why would a guy want to get down on that?

Yikes!  I was never able to conceive but learned more than I think I wanted to know about childbirth from good friends and relatives.  My own brother told me he was scared to resume relations with his wife after the birth of their first baby because he didn't want to hurt her.  Being in the delivery room gave him that perspective.  

Did the nurse go ballistic?  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, gardendiva said:

It is actually a style adopted by female hispanics called "chola". It has certain characteristics, but one that seems to always be present is the dark lined lips.

IMG_2170.JPG

Thank you for the insight!  I hate to say this, but it looks awful to me.....but that could be because once I worked with a lady (non-hispanic and at least 20 years ago), who put on lipliner and forgot to color the rest in with lipstick.  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, gardendiva said:

IMG_2170.JPG

Just adding to your post, hope that is ok with you.

It's a look in certain areas of CA.  It's awful, the eyebrows are the give away.

They are now tattooing them on. Ugh

IMG_4283.JPG

6 hours ago, Arynm said:

Omg, I'm laughing so hard.

Gilbert is the answer, lmao

• Love 3

I'm watching the supersized version.

Gilbert is 6 years younger than Lupe.

Ashley is 6 foot tall.  She was diagnosed with thyroid disease as a teenager.

Edited by MrsClaus
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

Just adding to your post, hope that is ok with you.

It's a look in certain areas of CA.  It's awful, the eyebrows are the give away.

They are now tattooing them on. Ugh

IMG_4283.JPG

Omg, I'm laughing so hard.

Gilbert is the answer, lmao

Thanks for adding to my post. Yes, the eyebrow thing is another feature of it and it is not the best look. 

• Love 2

The whole chola look is awful.  Scary women though, they will cut a bitch.

Lupe is a bed bound chola which again makes me wonder about she and little G flashing gang signs in all their pics.

I assume they are considering where they are from as well but G looks like a wanna be gangster.

• Love 9

Watching the Supersized version too with mom. Mom recognizes Ashley's son Patrick. 

Mom: "Isn't that the poor sweet kid that had to stand in the washing machine to get out the clothes?"

Me:  "Yep!"

Mom:  "Maybe we could adopt him!"

Mom, regarding Lupe and Gilbert and the sex and the ripped sutures and the drinking:

"That bastard! Why doesn't she leave him? Tell him to go find a prostitute!"

• Love 5

I'm surprised that Gilbert sent a picture of Lupe's incision to Dr. Now, who of course told them to get her to the hospital.  She apparently was vomiting yellow bile as well.

I wanted to add that earlier one of the popups said Lupe was 15 and hospitalized for double pneumonia and weighed 550 pounds. 

Edited by MrsClaus
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

The whole chola look is awful.  Scary women though, they will cut a bitch.

Lupe is a bed bound chola which again makes me wonder about she and little G flashing gang signs in all their pics.

I assume they are considering where they are from as well but G looks like a wanna be gangster.

Gilbert is so disgusting, I just can't.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Anchorabu said:

Watching the Supersized version too with mom. Mom recognizes Ashley's son Patrick. 

Mom: "Isn't that the poor sweet kid that had to stand in the washing machine to get out the clothes?"

Me:  "Yep!"

Mom:  "Maybe we could adopt him!"

Mom, regarding Lupe and Gilbert and the sex and the ripped sutures and the drinking:

"That bastard! Why doesn't she leave him? Tell him to go find a prostitute!"

Unfortunately I'm in CA and miss the live talk, thanks for this..your mom does sound fun and lively.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

Unfortunately I'm in CA and miss the live talk, thanks for this..your mom does sound fun and lively.

Aww thx! Mom is definitely lively! (autocorrect kept changing "lively" to "lovely" and mom's like, "just leave it that way!" ?

• Love 7
Just now, Anchorabu said:

Aww thx! Mom is definitely lively! (autocorrect kept changing "lively" to "lovely" and mom's like, "just leave it that way!" ?

I meant lively, kept waiting for auto to change it to lovely, lol

I have read many lovely comments on her?

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, TicketToHellPaid said:

I meant lively, kept waiting for auto to change it to lovely, lol

I have read many lovely comments on her?

Thanks, that's so sweet! She is a cutie! And she loves the show and this forum! ?

4 minutes ago, 55Unicorns said:

"Mom" is cool as hell, lol.

Lol! Aww, thx, I totally concur! ?

• Love 2
Just now, 55Unicorns said:

Gawd...why am watching this again...Gilbert makes me so furious I want to chew the furniture!

Same here. I'm waiting for Bates Motel to come back on which will start when this is over. So I'm watching it again. I thought the "Supersize" version would somehow be different, but it's not. I don't know why they added that to the name. Very misleading!

Gilbert looks worse and worse each time I see him. I'm honestly repulsed by him.

• Love 3

@Anchorabu Mom's the bomb!

In my dad's last years (he had dementia, cancer and a host of other ailments) I'd watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy with him. It's my favorite memory now that he's gone. Thank you for sharing your special time with Mom!

To bring this back on topic, I did a search for mugshots for Gilbert because he just looks like a thug. Didn't find anything.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Otter said:

Yikes!  I was never able to conceive but learned more than I think I wanted to know about childbirth from good friends and relatives.  My own brother told me he was scared to resume relations with his wife after the birth of their first baby because he didn't want to hurt her.  Being in the delivery room gave him that perspective.  

Did the nurse go ballistic?  

The nurse was so pissed, I think that's why she kinda blurted it out to us, breaking HIPAA and all that. She was raging, they banned him from the floor.  Not that it mattered, she went home to him the next day.  I believe they tried to explain why it wasn't a good idea to have sex that soon after childbirth, but I doubt it sunk in.

• Love 2
On 4/14/2017 at 3:34 PM, pdlinda1 said:

I still am fascinated and terribly curious about how Lupe and Gilbert make (made) it financially.  

For some strange freakin' reason, I was thinking of this just the other day (I think the extended version might have prompted me). Though it's not much, if you don't have things like student loans, mortgage, or car payment, and if disability meets many of the family's needs re food (food stamps), maybe rent, etc. then why couldn't Gilbert live off of the $4-600 a month he gets as a carer? He's sure not spending it on clothes.

I thought Lupe looked bad in the face when she was heavier. Losing weight in that area did not help her out. Whoever said she looked like the judge from The Wall was right.

• Love 1
On 16/04/2017 at 10:31 AM, Complexity said:

And the cycle of abuse continues.

1. tension starts building
  2. abuse occurs
  3. abuser apologies, promises to never to it again, honeymoon phase
  4. things are calm for a short time, then starts back at step 1

3.1   abuser buys abused partner two bouquets of cheap blue flowers                  from the gas station/corner store, refers to her as 'my love', and                    hopes that lame gesture makes up for said abuse.

• Love 4

I"m not 100% convinced that this whole Lupe and Gilbert sex thing may not be some type of producer shenanigans. But then again there is quite a bit about their relationship that defies any type of logic that I would apply to any situation.  I remember in the first episode that they implied that Gilbert was stepping out on Lupe because they had no sex life at all. Now they have a pregnancy scare and say that Gilbert is insisting on sex so much that it is interfering with the stiches on her surgical wounds  . Wouldn't he just continue to step out and get his needs fulfilled white his wife recovers???  

She leaves him at the end of this episode but then posts pictures on social media promoting themselves as the happy couple. Of course things can change but the separation seems a bit shocking. Then out of nowhere  we heard the hint thrown in of physical violence I'm no expert on domestic abuse but why would Gilbert need to become physically violent with his wife when she cant walk and he is her only caretaker?? He's already in control of the situation.  He is already getting paid to take care of her and he already gets his sex elsewhere?  Also how does lupe move to another city to live with her cousin when she has no resources??  If she leaves him which cant be easy because of lack of resources and settles in with a new caretaker why would she go back to him in such  a short period of time?

This reminds me of the first Bettie Jo episode when her husband was complaining about lack of intimacy in the session with the therapist. One year later in the supersized edition it is revealed Bettie Jo had numerous miscarriages before and now she is pregnant. 

Either way in my opinion i think that the most important thins for Lupe is to loose weight and get mobile. At her ideal weight and with mobility she can then decide whether or not the relationship is working for her or any relationship for that matter. in the state she is in now she cannot even care for herself. Her husband is willing to do that and he gets paid to do it. If Lupe is able to walk and care for herself she can find out whether or not he really wants to be with her or if he's just there for the check.

• Love 5

I haven't seen the whole episode yet, but I get the feeling Lupe doesn't want to have to take care of Lupe.  Every time she comes close, there is another problem.  

Never underestimate the power of an unhealthy relationship.  

• Love 10

They are back together again. And she wrote up this whole thing about how he wasn't actually contacting other woman, and he was innocent, and all we saw on the show was incorrect and they are so much in love. What a shame. But they have a certain dynamic and you can't break the pattern. They are co-dependent so they will never break up.

The whole show was really boring and depressing. Why isn't she seeing a doctor to get her leg fixed? She is 100% disabled. Walking should be the main focus. It seems like this side thing.

The other one is just sad and boring.

• Love 3

When an update airs, I like to go back and watch the original episode.

...in which Lupe accuses G of texting other women...he claims to be telling them about God.  She then asks why they are texting back with photos of their breasts.

People wanna be in denial, that's fine...but it's captured forever- words coming out of her mouth- on national TV...

• Love 8

OK,I am finally watching this. Not only did Gilbert bust open Lupe's stitches ("I don't know what I'm supposed to do - I'm a man"), but he urged her to lie and say the drains caused the infection?!?!?!  What a complete shitshow their relationship is. Yes, he HAD put her first a lot of the time, but BOY, does he make her pay for it. He might cheat! Or he might have to get drunk! Or he might get rapey! Watch yourself, Lupe! You will never have peace of mind with this dipshit. 

Ashley, you really do not have to keep feeding your kids the crap they want. Teach them how to eat healthily so they don't end up with obesity-related issues. Come on! You are the parent. It is your responsibility!

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Calicocats said:

I haven't seen the whole episode yet, but I get the feeling Lupe doesn't want to have to take care of Lupe.  Every time she comes close, there is another problem.  

Never underestimate the power of an unhealthy relationship.  

Lupe may just want to be like Penny, but at least Penny's guy wasn't stepping out on her (that we know of, anyway.)

Yeah, that codependency thing is probably happening.  But OMG, that green stuff oozing out was just too much.  I had to look away.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, amacmom said:

@Anchorabu Mom's the bomb!

In my dad's last years (he had dementia, cancer and a host of other ailments) I'd watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy with him. It's my favorite memory now that he's gone. Thank you for sharing your special time with Mom!

To bring this back on topic, I did a search for mugshots for Gilbert because he just looks like a thug. Didn't find anything.

Aww thx hon! I love watching TV and DVDs with mom. It's such a nice distraction for her! Bless you for sharing that! ❤️

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:31 AM, KateHearts said:

I'm sure in some cases. In other cases, consenting adults do stupid things because their desires are more important to them than common sense. And I don't think there has been any reference as to the time elapsed between the stitches coming open and when they called the ambulance. 

I think there has been a lot of conclusion-jumping as to his "abusive" behavior. Sure, the guy's a Neanderthal (and happy to admit it on national TV). I'm not defending the guy, but no one can assume just because her wound opened that it was due to violent, forcible acts by her husband. She was already behind the 8-ball in terms of success of a complex, major surgery without complications.

It was mentioned by Lupe that the forced sex occurred a month prior to the ambulance being called.  She used the word "force" to describe the act committed upon her. It wasn't an assumption or people jumping to conclusions. Gilbert defended himself by saying he has needs and is a man. No. No true man forces sex upon anyone. No assumptions are being made other than discussing the facts that were admitted by both parties. 

We have been together for almost 10 years just to throw it all away,! Like that scripture says'WHAT GOD HAS JOINED TOGETHER,NO MAN CAN PUT ASUNDER"

No man is a part of this equation, Lupe. It is the females that Gilbert can't part with. You better hope he doesn't bring you any sexually transmitted diseases. 

• Love 4

I can't judge the relationship between Rapey Gilbert and Chola Lupe - after all, as Lupe says, it's the Lord that brought them together!  I guess the Lord's plan required Gilbert busting her stitches and letting them fester green ooze for a month... something about "mysterious ways."

• Love 8

If it wasn't gangrene, I might be able to explain the "guacamole" you might have seen, when they showed video of Lupe's infection, because I've been there.

(warning: long story)

Five years ago, I had gastric bypass surgery, and lost 122 pounds.  The resulting skin, made me look like a melted candle.  I paid for a circumferential abdominoplasty/belt lipectomy and a breast lift, back in November of 2014.  It was a 5 and a half hour procedure, that was done on an outpatient-basis.  The pain during recovery was incredible.  

About 3.5 weeks after that surgery, I developed an infection along the incision line, somewhere along the back side of my left hip.  The first sign that anything was wrong, was a painful aching in my lower back.  Given all of the other pain I was having, mainly along my abdominal muscles, I brushed it off, thinking it was just my back muscles being overworked, from being hunched over, so much.  The day I went back to choir practice, I didn't feel well.  I couldn't stand up for long, but I attributed it to my body simply being exhausted from the healing process.  Near the end of the rehearsal, as I went to sit down, I placed my hand along my back, to where it was aching the most... and something felt wet.

That was the beginning of what would turn out to be a nine month long journey through Hell.  What started out as a pinhole with pus oozing out, evolved into a gaping wound that went from the middle of my back, to the edge of my left hip, was three inches high, and almost as deep.  I looked like a shark took a bite out of me.  It was washed, packed, and covered multiple times a day, until the wound finally granularized and filled in, on its own.  Luckily, the reason my incision line became infected had nothing to do with any sort of "Gilbert" moment.  One of my dissolvable stitches had "spit", or pushed out through my skin, which allowed bacteria to get in there, and start the whole, ugly event.

During the process, another type of infection set in, called Pseudomonas aeruginosa.  One of the characteristics of its existence, is a weird, green color (slightly blueish), and a smell like corn tortillas... so the reference to guacamole was kind of funny to me.  All of my packing gauze would turn that color, which was weird.

I had scar revision surgery in January of last year, to clean up the mess that was left behind.

I could really gross y'all out, by uploading pictures, but since this is my first post, I'll behave.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, ShedFarm said:

All of my packing gauze would turn that color, which was weird.

And it did look like there was a wad of green gauze in Lupe's wound. Thanks for sharing, ShedFarm. I may have loose skin after weightloss but I'll never have so much as to necessitate removal. I'll never have "normal" skin, but I can live with what I have. I'm lucky in that.

• Love 3

Watching it again right now.  She was raped.  And gilbert "aplogized" for his "needs".  That poor woman and she said "it's all about him".  She knows she's in an abusive relationship.  IMO, she doesn't know what to do,.  She still relies on him for everything.

Here's a clue Lupe -- if you're going to rely on Scripture, use Scripture properly.  Yes, God hates divorce (Mal. 2:16), yet Christ Himself gave permission to leave an adultorous spouse.  And an abusive spouse.  Gilbert has a heart of stone and condemns himself.  He never entered a marriage covenant.  

I wonder if he hits her upside the head with bible.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Otter said:

Watching it again right now.  She was raped.  And gilbert "aplogized" for his "needs".  That poor woman and she said "it's all about him".  She knows she's in an abusive relationship.  IMO, she doesn't know what to do,.  She still relies on him for everything.

Here's a clue Lupe -- if you're going to rely on Scripture, use Scripture properly.  Yes, God hates divorce (Mal. 2:16), yet Christ Himself gave permission to leave an adultorous spouse.  And an abusive spouse.  Gilbert has a heart of stone and condemns himself.  He never entered a marriage covenant.  

I wonder if he hits her upside the head with bible.  

This makes me so angry, as prior LE I had to deal with this kind of situation on a regular basis. Many of the women call police and then try and retract their statements because they are so reliant on these men for everything. We would try and help them, then the next thing you know they're back with these guys and we're the bad guys. 

I'd love to see Lupe get herself into shape and send him flying across the room next time he forces her to do anything. She should truly kick him to the curb and leave him there for trash pickup.

• Love 3
On 4/18/2017 at 9:33 AM, JayBee said:

I"m not 100% convinced that this whole Lupe and Gilbert sex thing may not be some type of producer shenanigans.

I completely agree with this JAYBEE! I haven't seen this episode yet because I forgot to DVR it and for some reason it is not available on demand for me yet.

My in-laws were on the show Love It or List It, Too. They told me there was a zero percent chance that they were going to sell after the renovations but they still show them looking at houses so that was totally for the show. There was the drama when they found a water leak that was going to be expensive to fix so they had to decide not to do the bathroom remodel. Well, there never was a water leak and they never intended to remodel the bathroom. That was all drama added by the producers to make the "reality" more interesting. They did get some of their house remodeled and it looks great but the way they present it on TV is NOT reality; if it was, I don't think anyone would have watched since it went pretty smoothly.

So call me cynical if you want but I take these "reality" shows with a grain of salt. Especially since this season has tried top the previous episode with even more sensationalism. I would need a HUGE amount of evidence to believe Gilbert had sex with her much less raped her. Maybe I will change my tune once I see the episode but there have been too many shenanigans this season for me to believe much of what they present as "reality."

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, Toaster Strudel said:

I can't judge the relationship between Rapey Gilbert and Chola Lupe -

...or as others have called her, ChoLupe.

The sight of Gilbert makes me retch.  I'm sure a lot of the stuff on this show is complete fabrication, but Gilbert forcing himself on Lupe I can totally believe.

I live in San Antonio.  I doubt our paths would ever cross, but if perchance I ever saw them, I would punch Gilbert in the nuts.

• Love 1

No words for how sickening it is to me that Gilbert ripped Lupe's sutures open because he demanded sex of a surgically compromised person, who then needed to go back for emergency surgery due to injury during sex, and all this is justified by "hey, a man has needs."

No, dude. No. Get out. You are sick. Every ounce of credit you had for being her literal servant for years was lost in that one horrid act and that sickening excuse for doing it. Yeah, let's sacrifice a person's extreme post-op healing and physical health for the sake of your "needs."

wtaf is wrong with him?!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, sidka said:

No words for how sickening it is to me that Gilbert ripped Lupe's sutures open because he demanded sex of a surgically compromised person, who then needed to go back for emergency surgery due to injury during sex, and all this is justified by "hey, a man has needs."

No, dude. No. Get out. You are sick. Every ounce of credit you had for being her literal servant for years was lost in that one horrid act and that sickening excuse for doing it. Yeah, let's sacrifice a person's extreme post-op healing and physical health for the sake of your "needs."

wtaf is wrong with him?!

He's an asshole who needs a good knock out punch. That piece of garbage will never change, ever, and Lupe would be much better off without him. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, FGD-135 said:

I completely agree with this JAYBEE! I haven't seen this episode yet because I forgot to DVR it and for some reason it is not available on demand for me yet.

My in-laws were on the show Love It or List It, Too. They told me there was a zero percent chance that they were going to sell after the renovations but they still show them looking at houses so that was totally for the show. There was the drama when they found a water leak that was going to be expensive to fix so they had to decide not to do the bathroom remodel. Well, there never was a water leak and they never intended to remodel the bathroom. That was all drama added by the producers to make the "reality" more interesting. They did get some of their house remodeled and it looks great but the way they present it on TV is NOT reality; if it was, I don't think anyone would have watched since it went pretty smoothly.

So call me cynical if you want but I take these "reality" shows with a grain of salt. Especially since this season has tried top the previous episode with even more sensationalism. I would need a HUGE amount of evidence to believe Gilbert had sex with her much less raped her. Maybe I will change my tune once I see the episode but there have been too many shenanigans this season for me to believe much of what they present as "reality."

I believe shenanigans occur but what kind of dumbass would agree to be portrayed as the rapist of a disabled woman recovering from surgery? I think that whole mess was for real. 

• Love 4