Type keyword(s) to search

Bosch: Legacy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Hmmm.  I've been reading the Bosch books in order, but have not yet encountered Renee Ballard.  I guess I'll have to step it up.

Although I enjoyed Bosch Legacy, I really miss Harry as an LAPD detective, and even though some briefly crossed over, I miss all of the other characters that went with it.  Can he please go back?

Edited by roughing it
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, roughing it said:

Can he please go back

Well, obviously, TV Harry is younger than Book Harry, but Michael Connelly seems to stick close to reality, so even TV Harry can't stay young forever. :(

But I think that is why he made Maddie a cop...and also introduced fellow detective Renée Ballard in the novels, to take up the slack.

I do like that Connelly has most of his various characters interacting in the novels, though.

• Like 3

Just spotted Titus Welliver on a Law & Order episode, from around 2007/2008! Darker hair, otherwise completely recognizable!

(And looking it up, he apparently appeared in the franchise (also SVU and Law & Order: Los Angeles) through the years.)

• Like 2

Connelly's latest Bosch book is "Desert Star."  In my opinion, it showcases the best parts of Bosch's character, and his interaction with Renee Ballard is believable and enjoyable.

I borrowed the digital book free from the library.  Honestly, I loved it so much I went on Barnes and Noble and ordered a SIGNED copy for my collection of books at home.

When I mentioned on Facebook how much I loved the book, several of my friends commented that they had also read it and loved it.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Connelly's latest Bosch book is "Desert Star."  In my opinion, it showcases the best parts of Bosch's character, and his interaction with Renee Ballard is believable and enjoyable.

I borrowed the digital book free from the library.  Honestly, I loved it so much I went on Barnes and Noble and ordered a SIGNED copy for my collection of books at home.

When I mentioned on Facebook how much I loved the book, several of my friends commented that they had also read it and loved it.

Add me to the loved it pile. So much so, I bought a hardcover copy - and I NEVER do that.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Boo!  The fall? I loved having it in April.

I'm just glad it is returning. The new trend of renewing then reversing them with shows always has me on edge.

1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm just glad it is returning. The new trend of renewing then reversing them with shows always has me on edge.

Ha. I was going to say it was mostly filmed already but then I remembered that means less these days.

• Like 1

We were doing a binge re-watch of Season 1 to remind us of stuff.  Sadly, we forgot more than we remember.

The dumbest thing was watching Honey Chandler with a designer purse over her arm, pulling a (heavy) good-sized semi-automatic handgun out of that purse.  She looked like the late Queen Elizabeth, who usually carried just tissues and a Chapstick in her purse.  I own a gun purse.  When I'm carrying, I sling it over my shoulder to help spread out the weight of the gun.

We've been to the port of Los Angeles many times.  Honey and Bosch just wandering around among all the shipping containers . . . that's not going to happen.  There are billions of dollars of goods moving in and out of that harbor - and you have to go past some serious security to get into the area.

And every time Maddie runs, I expect to hear the "6 Million Dollar Man" theme music playing.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Like 1
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, auntiemel said:

I saw the first two episodes of season two in the theater last night. No spoilers, but suffice it to say they were INTENSE! And I am REALLY excited for the rest of the season!!

Remember Amazon uses the international dateline to drop its episodes, the first batch from season 2 are already up.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Raja said:

Remember Amazon uses the international dateline to drop its episodes, the first batch from season 2 are already up.

Yeah, I’m just not going to have time to dive into them until this weekend! 😁

first season 2 story arc it had the thing I dislike most. The grand master plan by a criminal that comes out of nowhere, but then it is smashed somewhat easily. From J. Edgar and the coroner's office staffer giving Bosch what he wants which ultimately lead nowhere but seems to be laying ground work for future giving the preview at the end of the arc. 

After the initial crime scene shots it did seem like a pandemic era production as all the cops working the case disappeared but the big gun the actual county DA was brought in. When team Bosch actually had a place to look where was everybody? The Rookie had a similar storyline pre pandemic and when they got to the final hunt phase it wasn't just a father with a patron who could afford a helicopter rental but everybody, the local Sheriff's deputies and Highway Patrol was moving in support.

I have extreme claustrophobia.  Those "coffin in the ground" scenes were agony for me, and I almost had to stop watching.

I'm scheduled for an MRI next week.  The doctor prescribed me some Lorazepam to take 45 minutes before the procedure.  I almost took it last night while watching Maddie.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 5
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I have extreme claustrophobia.  Those "coffin in the ground" scenes were agony for me, and I almost had to stop watching.

I'm scheduled for an MRI next week.  The doctor prescribed me some Lorazepam to take 45 minutes before the procedure.  I almost took it last night while watching Maddie.

Same! And when the scorpion dropped in, I was like, "Oh hell no!" 

Overall, I enjoyed the episodes and am happy it was wrapped relatively quickly. As I'm not the biggest Maddie fan, I really was not looking forward to a long, drawn out "Maddie in peril" story. Although I'm sure now we'll be getting a long, drawn out "Maddie has PTSD" story. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Same! And when the scorpion dropped in, I was like, "Oh hell no!" 

Overall, I enjoyed the episodes and am happy it was wrapped relatively quickly. As I'm not the biggest Maddie fan, I really was not looking forward to a long, drawn out "Maddie in peril" story. Although I'm sure now we'll be getting a long, drawn out "Maddie has PTSD" story. 

From some of the hints that were heavily dropped, I think they're going for a "Maddie is an alcoholic" story.

IMO, Madison Lintz is right down there with Louisa Jacobson (The Gilded Age) for someone I'd love to never see on my TV screen again.  Lots of good young actresses out there.  But they are not two of them.

• Like 3

Madison isn't the best, but we know her pretty well and she is better than she was in the Bosch original recipe. 

Whatever PTSD type she comes out with, at least Harry has experienced pretty much all of them himself.  He make not be the best caretaker for her when it happens, but at least he'll understand and not try to minimize. 

I always love seeing Jerry.  He's really gained the maturity and calm controlled assurance Harry needs in a situation like this.  

Good start to the season.  I like that Money is so comfortable with Harry.  Makes me wonder if they'll be together in the end. 

• Like 2
On 10/20/2023 at 9:11 AM, AZChristian said:

The first true crime book I ever read was 83 Hours Till Dawn  about the kidnapping of Barbara Mackle in 1968.  Her kidnapper buried her in a wood coffin-like structure, with an air vent and some food and water.  As the title suggests, she was buried for 83 hours until she was recovered.  How she didn't go stark raving mad still amazes me.  

I agree with Raja - why did Harry have to go all lone ranger trying to find where she was once they determined her approximate location?  One phone call and they would have had over 1,000 cops out there looking for her.   They had it right at the beginning with the police presence at Maddie's place, but then it became Jerry, Mank, and Maddie's training officer working the investigation of a kidnapped cop - completely unrealistic.  And the suspect has a lawyer who leaves his client, the prime suspect in the ongoing investigation of a kidnapped cop, to go back to his hotel to have a drink? 

Weren't the investigators still monitoring the live feed?  Was Harry's hacker (what is his name??) the only one doing so?  Shouldn't others have seen the EDW and figured out what that meant?  And it really irked me when the one cop was giving Jerry Edgar a hard time for scooping up one of the cigarettes outside Dockweiler's home.  An experience detective and she doesn't view anyone who was a regular in the neighborhoods where the rapes happened as a potential suspect? Especially when they asked the question about why Maddie was targeted, and they said the guy was aware she was part of the investigation into the rapes, and this was a guy she had interviewed?      

It took me a few minutes to realize that Dockweiler was played by David Denman, best known to me as Roy from The Office, and that the Captain was James Read, best known to me as Murphy on season 1 of Remington Steele.  (Mental note to self:  Calvada, don't look in the mirror.  You've aged too!)  Sam, the one with Coltrane at the end of episode 2, was played by Cora Welliver, daughter of Titus Welliver.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2

Did anyone else watch the series, The Tourist? Set in Australia? They used a similar plot... burying a guy in the desert in an oil drum, with a pipe for air. I can't remember if a scorpion was involved, though. I'd have to rewatch. Good series! Season two is supposedly coming.

Edited by Bcharmer
to remove spoiler

I Love Money wearing classic Levi's instead of some over-priced, exclusive L.A. denim brand.   Even when you are riding in a chartered helicopter & heading to the desert to dig up a hostage, you don't have to overdress.....  *LOL*

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

I was not a fan of the first two episodes.  The first one was okay but it was still a bit too sloppy/lazy.  For instance, Maddie is a cop and the daughter of a former cop.  She's clearly going to be a top priority of the police.  It made no sense that the guy at the morgue couldn't take one look at the dead body and recognize that it wasn't Maddie.  I also am not a fan of rogue cops going rogue and Harry's decision to go in solo ended up letting the guy get away.  It's not like he went into the house gently.  The guy's lawyer could have a field day with what Harry did.

And the second episode just couldn't hold my attention.  I liked Maddie on original recipe Bosch because she wasn't a major character and the father/daughter dynamic was believable.  I'm having a harder time with her on Legacy since she not only has a bigger storyline but it's as a rookie cop.  She was more believable working around lawyers than in the field.

• Like 4

I'm currently re-reading "Desert Star."  I wish they had worked the script of this season of Bosch: Legacy in such a way that Renee Ballard was doing all the stuff that Honey Chandler is doing on the show.  Much more physically believable.

Just in case others haven't read the books . . .

Spoiler

Honey Chandler was murdered in the third Bosch book, "The Concrete Blonde."  This was written 25 years before "The Crossing" - the basis for this season of Bosch: Legacy - was written.  When the initial pilot was filmed, "Sunny" Chandler was played by Amy Price-Francis.  Given the age difference, if they were going to keep Honey alive, I think APF would have been a better choice to play "Honey" Chandler - then and now.

I love the show but ep 1-2 had credibility problems, as noted above with just three people searching when they could have had hundreds. Also, when Harry spotted the solar panel that was powering the coffin camera, why not look for the wire that runs to the camera? AFRAIK there has to be one.

I'm glad Maddie is back on the job in ep 3-4 (from the preview, haven't watched yet).

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Am I the only person that got the first 4 episodes this week instead of just the first 2? 

I'll keep my lips zipped, just in case. 

No, the first four episodes are officially released. You can talk about them.

• Thanks 1

I've watched all 4.  I like that, to spread them out over the weekend.  Then back to 2 a week for the next 6 episodes. 

What's with all the F* bombs left & right?  More profanity than I remember in any episodes.  Not a big thing, just seemed excessive to me. 

Honey isn't doing too well with her PTSD therapy, basically telling her therapist to screw himself.....*LOL*   I think Maddie does need to tell her dad about staying with Rico, though.  Even though she's a cop, I'd think Harry would be supportive of her living with another cop, at least for now.  Them sleeping together isn't a necessary detail, but Harry can read between the lines.  

I always get a kick out of seeing Crate & Barrel, and their snarky conversations.

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

What's with all the F* bombs left & right?  More profanity than I remember in any episodes.  Not a big thing, just seemed excessive to me. 

I had the same thought. Like when Maddie was leaving her Dad’s house and he told her to “Get the f*>k out”. I don’t recall such colorful language between them. 

4 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

I always get a kick out of seeing Crate & Barrel, and their snarky conversations.

They are the comic relief you didn’t know you needed. Love how they wear their Hawaiian shirts. Way to not stand out when doing undercover work 😂

(The Crate character Gregory S Cummins has lived in Hawaii) 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Way to not stand out when doing undercover work

I read a novel where the undercover guy (in Key West) wore the most offensive T-shirts he could find. People would get so offended by the shirt, they couldn't even look him in the eye, much less remember his face.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 10/22/2023 at 11:37 PM, Irlandesa said:

It made no sense that the guy at the morgue couldn't take one look at the dead body and recognize that it wasn't Maddie.  I also am not a fan of rogue cops going rogue and Harry's decision to go in solo ended up letting the guy get away.  It's not like he went into the house gently.  The guy's lawyer could have a field day with what Harry did.

I was thinking that no way the brothers of the badge Sheriff's deputies wouldn't have been all over the case with their homicide detectives if it was any chance that they had recovered Officer Bosch.  Which then lead to the dirty vice cops 4 months later who seemed to have never heard about the  Bosch's. I guess working Hollywood Homicide and not RHD, besides us watching his stories he really never became a star among the almost 10,000 LAPD outside of that detective unit and the Hollywood watch commander

I like Maddie.  There, I said it.  I feel like the actor and the character have grown.  I do wish that her role was smaller though.  

I would like to see less of Honey Chandler too, although since she and Maddie are 2 of the 3 leads of the show, I guess that's not gonna happen.  Do women really still carry their handbags in the crook of their arm?  That was something my grandma did.  I carry mine using the shoulder strap or a cross-body so my arms are freed.

• Like 4

I'm not really feeling this season. Harry seems like a supporting player and there is just way too much focus on Honey and Maddie. I get that it is now more of an ensemble, but it just all feels so lifeless. 

I actually laughed during Maddie's victim impact statement. My word, she rivals Harrison on Dexter: New Blood for the most charisma-less actor on tv.  

• Like 5
2 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I actually laughed during Maddie's victim impact statement. My word, she rivals Harrison on Dexter: New Blood for the most charisma-less actor on tv.  

I couldn't take my eye off the Deputy standing behind Dockweiller acting like he was ready to pull his pistol while that was going on

• Like 1