Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Fade In, Fade Out

• Start Topic

I will give the show some credit for continuity here.  Kelly's had daddy issues forever and she told Dylan in season 3 when her dad bailed on her that she would go get high with friends.  Of course, Dylan was there to rescue her and take her to the Electric Slide that Cured Racism, but he's not here now, is he?  

• Love 3

Dylan would have whispered those words like he did with all his words.  Kelly would have responded with the baby voice.

I didn't feel an ounce of sympathy for Kelly.  Her father was always a piece of shit and she was dumb to expect otherwise. 

I will give the show some credit for continuity here.  Kelly's had daddy issues forever and she told Dylan in season 3 when her dad bailed on her that she would go get high with friends.  Of course, Dylan was there to rescue her and take her to the Electric Slide that Cured Racism, but he's not here now, is he?  

Bravo on the Electric Slide that Cured Racism!

That is amazing continuity, so amazing that I'm sure that it was completely unintentional on the part of the writers.

Kelly had a drug problem pre-90210?  I guess it's like Dylan and Jen from Dawson's Creek wild tween years...

• Love 4

Continuity police here. Except remember the slumber party episode? When Kelly is telling them the story of losing her virginity she starts off with saying " everyone was getting drunk, well except me..." So writers, was she or was she not a party girl???

Wow. As someone who went through fatherly abandonment/estrangement I am so embarrassed by how much of a simp Kelly is. Ugh! I guess money really does change things. She'd be well within her rights to not be on speaking terms with either parent. 

Yet she projects all that bitchyness on Val. I see why they don't get along now- the cult, Colin, Bill- it's like Kelly has huge blind spots of suckerdom for everything except Val.

• Love 2

That fact that Bill tries to make Kelly give her drug addict boyfriend a second chance should have been a "still bad dad" alert to Kelly. Which father wouldn't say "yeah, probably a good idea to dump him if he's on cocaine"? But Kelly sooo loves the drama and to be the heroine of a tragic love story that she doesn't see how strange her dad's advice is.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Nanna said:

That fact that Bill tries to make Kelly give her drug addict boyfriend a second chance should have been a "still bad dad" alert to Kelly. Which father wouldn't say "yeah, probably a good idea to dump him if he's on cocaine"? But Kelly sooo loves the drama and to be the heroine of a tragic love story that she doesn't see how strange her dad's advice is.

And the whole leaving her with an addicted Jackie for Jackie's good and not Kelly's? Bull. shit. Especially with a daughter, who knows what kind of potential rapists/ molesters were hanging around (as in four episodes in the future)? Talk about no fatherly protective instinct. 

• Love 2

Also- Upon finding out that David was doing drugs, she gave him one chance before she kicked herself and Donna out of their apartment. Still makes no sense considering they're on the lease. She's not smart..

She should've left with Dylan to do a brood cruise around the world at the end of season 5

• Love 4

A Gordon Lightfoot ad! Happy dance! And also, finally to the all too short arc where Kelly is tolerable Enjoy, it doesn't happen again. After this she becomes ever more saintly and put-upon, and is a bitch about it again some more.

Jennie Garth looks horrendous in these episodes. Other than her, I enjoy seeing the makeup and the fashions of 21 years ago. I was getting married in the spring of 1996 (still married, happily!) and seeing these clothes and eyebrows and haircuts is like visiting with old friends.

• Love 4

Confession:  in my head, Tata is pronounced "TAH tan".

Like "Those are some bodacious tatas on that babe". 

Me too! I don't think I've actually ever heard it pronounced, much like when I listen to NPR. (So that's how you pronounce the name of that foreign leader?!?) I thought, "Huh, all these years of seeing his name in the credits and thinking it was like boobs!" It makes perfect sense that it wouldn't be, of course, but it won't be easy to undo 27 years of hearing it the wrong way in my head.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ions Earring said:

Still makes no sense considering they're on the lease.

When the crystal meth episodes originally aired, I was in 6th grade and my sister was in 11th grade and she would watch the episodes with me so she could snark on them (but I think she secretly really wanted to watch 90210) and when Kelly and Donna moved out, my sister was like, "Kelly obviously doesn't know anything about leases." So anyway, flash forward 20 years and there was a Judge Judy episode with this very situation and Judge Judy said that you can break a lease if your roommate is doing something illegal in the apartment. Of course I texted my sister and said, "Hey Meg, remember 20 years ago when you said Kelly didn't know anything about leases..." 

My dad had a Bill Taylor-esque dad and my dad never got a $10,000 check from him, so ya know, it could be worse, Kelly. 

• Love 4

Confession:  in my head, Tata is pronounced "TAH tah".

Edited to add:  Tiny triumph!  You used my Twitter suggestion.  

Wait, so how is it pronounced (for those of us who didn't listen to the podcast)?

My sister and I have always said his name like "JO-ee-tah-tah", but very fast, so you almost don't hear the "ee". We are dumb.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Wait, so how is it pronounced (for those of us who didn't listen to the podcast)?

My sister and I have always said his name like "JO-ee-tah-tah", but very fast, so you almost don't hear the "ee". We are dumb.

No one seems to know.   

Tara says "TAT-uh"  (Similar to "Hey, Batta, Batta, SWING, Batta")

Sarah says "TAY-tuh" (Similar to Sling Blade's " I'm gonna take me some of these taters home with me")

Some of the rest of us apparently say "TAH tah" (like Val's bodacious tatas)

I assume somewhere, someone says "Tah TAH" (like a magician might says on unveiling a rabbit)

TL, DR:  This is the most anyone has ever talked about Joe E. Tata. 

• Love 11

What's Nat's last name on the show? I can't even remember.

I didn't realize the check was for $10,000... I thought it was like $3K.  She should have chosen herself some more and gone on a fun trip with The Gang!

This dad really is the worst- he leaves his daughter alone with a coked out mom?!  Even back then, he would have known that taking Kelly away would have been the best thing.  I see where Kelly gets her attitude of making selfish choices and then acting like she's a martyr (I chose me to save the Dylan/Brandon friendship; I left you with a coked up mom so she wouldn't kill herself).

Now is the show this self aware to have Kelly constantly attracted to people with some addiction (Dylan, Collin)?  And wouldn't someone with a psyche major be well aware of her tendency to pick these guys? Even dumb David is able to see a pattern of poor choices Kelly makes when it comes to guys.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, CurlyATX said:

I didn't realize the check was for $10,000... I thought it was like $3K.  She should have chosen herself some more and gone on a fun trip with The Gang!

This dad really is the worst- he leaves his daughter alone with a coked out mom?!  Even back then, he would have known that taking Kelly away would have been the best thing.  I see where Kelly gets her attitude of making selfish choices and then acting like she's a martyr (I chose me to save the Dylan/Brandon friendship; I left you with a coked up mom so she wouldn't kill herself).

Now is the show this self aware to have Kelly constantly attracted to people with some addiction (Dylan, Collin)?  And wouldn't someone with a psyche major be well aware of her tendency to pick these guys? Even dumb David is able to see a pattern of poor choices Kelly makes when it comes to guys.

Brandon, aka Bran the Man is also a gambling addict.

1 hour ago, benteen said:

Brandon, aka Bran the Man is also a gambling addict.

Yea, Donna, Kelly, Dylan, David and Brandon all have some sort of addiction issues. And big shock, they tend to be the most judge-y of the crew. What a bunch of squeefs.

1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

Bussichio ...

1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

This dad really is the worst- he leaves his daughter alone with a coked out mom?!  Even back then, he would have known that taking Kelly away would have been the best thing. 

This. My take was that he just tells himself that shit to justify the fact that he did, in fact, abandon his 2-year old daughter and left her alone with a coked out mother. There's no way in any universe that was a good thing to do. You're probably right that that's where Kelly's narcissistic tendencies come from. Even more so than her mother, probably.

I'm with Team TaH-TaH (as in Val's Bodacious...)

• Love 4
22 hours ago, benteen said:

Kelly had a drug problem pre-90210?

Not sure it was a problem, but they did show/tell that she would party once in awhile. Remember way back in Season 1 when she was "sipping" her alcohol at the party Donna hosted in her parent's manse and she wound up hooking up with Steve.

re: Claire. What the HELL is that green animal that she killed for her sweater?!! I cracked right up when I saw that side to side. Poor Kathleen Robertson. I think she is stunning but her make up and styling was always the worst. 

Congrats, bethster

• Love 1
16 hours ago, MuuMuuChainsmoker said:

Confession:  in my head, Tata is pronounced "TAH tah".

Edited to add:  Tiny triumph!  You used my Twitter suggestion.  

I've always pronounced it tu-tah, like in "Ta-ta for now".  

Let the coke-head Kelly eps begin.  I still find her to be a righteous bitch during these episodes, but her eyeliner is on point through it all!

It's Tay-tuh. 

Was Kelly's dad also Anne Veal's weird uncle from the Christmas episode of Arrested Development that kept putting his arm around George Michael while they were singing at their house? It's driving me nuts. I don't think that role was credited, but the guy who plays Kelly's dad doesn't list it as far as I can tell. I am so sure it was him! I hate him so much. 

Ta-ta like bye for now type of stuff.

Kellys dad is the worst. Like wow.

Brandon leaving the note like sneaking I in is something I would do. I mean Susan's ex is being a jerk.

I found Claire more judgey than David. Though he is right about Kellys choice in guys. So there's that.

Kelly with her father is freaky. Both don't behave like the dynamic should be.

It seems that dad-daughter relationships on this show are all a bit weird, except for Brenda/Jim.  Kelly has this weird flirty/idolization thing with her dad.  Clair pretty much is a surrogate wife to the Chancellor (esp at the end of college).  Even Donna has an infantile relationship with her dad.  It doesn't seem that any of the women have an adult relationship with their dads. 

Ah, coke goodness coming soon... it's like an early Easter present. 

• Love 3

Whoa, Coke Kelly! (Bam-ba-Lam!)

You know that's no lie (Bam-ba-Lam!)

She's so rock steady (Bam-ba-Lam!)

And she's always ready (Bam-ba-Lam!)

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 5

Already putting that Coke!Kelly GIF to good use.  Thanks, "Again With This"! 

On 4/6/2017 at 0:58 PM, benteen said:

Kelly had a drug problem pre-90210?  I guess it's like Dylan and Jen from Dawson's Creek wild tween years...

On 4/7/2017 at 11:13 AM, Klaw said:

Not sure it was a problem, but they did show/tell that she would party once in awhile. Remember way back in Season 1 when she was "sipping" her alcohol at the party Donna hosted in her parent's manse and she wound up hooking up with Steve.

She also - in a surprise bit of continuity - told Dylan in that season three episode where her dad stood her up that the last time he did so, she went out and got high with some guy for three days.