Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media: What's Up With Her?

Culture Check: How can we come up with catchy or snarky topic titles and still remember the human behind the title? 

Please review the Primetimer Guidelines.

• Start Topic

I think if Whitney is lying it’s also because she’s spent the better part of a decade telling us how great, healthy, and dare I say FABULOUS, it is to be fat.  It would be one thing if she were losing weight because she was mourning Babs or even if it was because she was taking the NO BS active website so seriously, but people will see the medicine (if she is on it) as an “easy” way out (even if it’s not) to something she theoretically shouldn’t want to escape from because she’s been telling people how great it is to be fat.  

I draw a major distinction between people who are fat and actually do fabulous things and Whitney telling us she’s fat, wants to be fat, and is a super healthy dance machine despite passing out, being out worked by her octogenarian father in 2 races, and getting awards for lifting her leg 3 inches off the ground.

With that said Whitney is a “celebrity” who actually should be taking Ozempic or something of that line.  It’s obviously none of my business other than she routinely talks about her health in the show and online.  Morbid obesity is a disease as is pre-diabetes I guess so she probably should be on something to help manage these issues.  I do an have issue with the other celebrities that take it to lose like 20 lbs because I feel like it causes shortages for people that actually need it.

Full disclosure as of yet I do not struggle with my weight but may the older I get so I can’t really understand what it’s like lugging around like 300 pounds more than the actual weight I am, so for that reason I’m  glad Whitney is getting healthier….now if only she could only work on her attitude and personality which are her real issues.

• Like 6

I have a bigger issue with the drug companies who a) continue to advertise the shit out of these drugs when they supposedly cannot manufacture enough to keep up with current demand and b) have set prices so high that many people cannot afford the drugs, even if they do have health insurance. I think the cost and insurance reluctance to cover the drug is a much bigger barrier to people accessing it than celebrities (or anyone) using it to lose a few pounds.

Also, undoubtedly some people use it for purely cosmetic purposes but I will say from experience, the extra ten often becomes 20, then 30 then an insurmountable amount of weight to lose. I would far rather have had something like Ozempic to take off ten than the 80 I needed to lose. It would have been less damaging to my body too.

• Like 4
(edited)

I was prescribed Wegovy, but my insurance denied it.  So, I just continued on my own.  I’m ok with that.  Hopefully, I’ll maintain ok. My entire relationship with food has changed.  As have my food preferences.  

I wonder if Whit is hoping to get pregnant, since weight loss.  That would really give the show a boost.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
27 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder if Whit is hoping to get pregnant, since weight loss.  That would really give the show a boost.  

I sometimes doubt if she would want kids at this point.  I mean who would raise them she  doesn’t seem like she has the energy to take care of all her cats or cook or clean without paid help.  I guess she could get a nanny, but I’m not sure how much money she actually has.  Her pregnancy would still be high risk because even though she’s lost weight she is still morbidly obese and her age would make it a geriatric pregnancy which I guess has it’s own risks.   

• Like 2
On 5/1/2024 at 8:07 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

That’s a lot to deal with.  Some bodies just hang on to weight.  I have no explanation for how I was able to get down my pounds.  I still have about 20 more to go. Then skin surgery.  Ugh…..where to start?  I have focused on nutrition a lot and some days I didn’t get many calories.  I focus on getting at least 1200.  My nutritionist at Duke says they can’t condone less than that.  Plus, my workouts….still, some weeks I don’t lose.  I have hypothyroidism that is managed with medication. It doesn’t bother me at all and my levels have stayed good for many years.  

Have you considered getting av second opinion?  Or seeing an endocrinologist? Also, I do intermittent fasting which helps break some plateaus.  Hang in there! 

I am seeing an endocrinologist and I am considering getting a second opinion.  I just need some inspiration on finding the right one. 

It is true that the more weight you have to lose the easier it is to lose it.  When I was at my heaviest on a 1200-1500 calorie diet the weight came off rather easily.  For me that meant losing about a pound a week.  Now after losing 20+ lbs. on that diet I struggle to maintain.  Age and height also factor into this as well as being a woman.  There are many factors that can contribute.  Being 65 and short doesn't help.  What most people don't know is that being short makes losing weight more difficult all by itself - Taller people would lose more doing the same thing.  And forget being older and having other issues on top of that. 

During perimenopause when I first started to see the scale go up I responded with diet and exercise and had no difficulty keeping my weight down.  Now my particular combination of factors has made it impossible to get back down to that weight.  I know people think it's easy to step up your exercise to counteract those things but at my age with my particular muscular issues doing too much of that throws my back out and causes other muscular issues.  So again, everyone's different.

I hear you about the dieticians not condoning less than 1200 calories a day.  I can't go lower than that or I start to feel sick and too tired and at my age that is not a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, monagatuna said:

At any rate, I do get why people would lie about using Ozempic. Being an American, particularly a woman, you're hosed whether you're thin, fat, fit, muscular...we can't do anything right. We've long said on this board that if Whitney could take a magic pill and be thin, she would, and well...I can't say here we are, because she's not thin and Ozempic is not magic. From what I understand it still takes a lot of work to see results. 

It's really not our business what medical intervention someone is taking, but if her shtick is being fat and fabulous and loving herself as a fat woman, it's a little disingenuous to then lie about taking weight loss treatments, if she is indeed. But we all know that she doesn't love herself. If she did she wouldn't act the way she does.

People may wonder why people are suddenly doing a lot of work to achieve results with weight loss drugs.  The truth is that many of them were already doing that work all along without the drugs and not seeing results.  I think Whitney might have been one of them (as am I).  With all the exercise and dancing one would think she'd have lost more weight over the years but no.  People don't see what you're already doing and dismiss or minimize it as "not enough work" just because you're not seeing results.  I have never dismissed or overlooked the effort I have seen Whitney put into her exercise over the years and didn't assume she was power slamming 5,000 calories a day to invalidate that.

20 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I think if Whitney is lying it’s also because she’s spent the better part of a decade telling us how great, healthy, and dare I say FABULOUS, it is to be fat.  It would be one thing if she were losing weight because she was mourning Babs or even if it was because she was taking the NO BS active website so seriously, but people will see the medicine (if she is on it) as an “easy” way out (even if it’s not) to something she theoretically shouldn’t want to escape from because she’s been telling people how great it is to be fat. 

This made me realize how Whitney has basically been lying to us all along about what's really going on with her.  She dropped discussion of her pre-diabetes and weight loss efforts like a hot potato early on and doubled down on presenting herself as "fit and fat" even though we all knew that was a lie too. 

That said, I kind of sympathize because she didn't want her whole focus to make her look like the poor, pitiful victim of her medical/weight dilemma or open herself up to unfair criticism as someone that had no willpower or whatever people would have assumed.  She may have been struggling to lose weight all along and having major setbacks due to her medical and other issues so I understand not wanting to come off as a victim and/or not in control of and happy with her life.  The only problem is that it was not the reality so it made her into a liar that people didn't respect.  I just think she didn't want to look like a failure and bring doom and gloom to others facing the same battle, so she spun it that she was owning being fat and could still be "fabulous" (and presumably we could too).  Meanwhile we all could see through that and it made her look worse in the long run.  There was absolutely nothing fit, fabulous or healthy about being her weight and we could all see examples of that on our screens in every episode.  I do think that either way she chose to present it she would have looked bad to someone and gotten criticized for it.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I sometimes doubt if she would want kids at this point.  I mean who would raise them she  doesn’t seem like she has the energy to take care of all her cats or cook or clean without paid help.  I guess she could get a nanny, but I’m not sure how much money she actually has.  Her pregnancy would still be high risk because even though she’s lost weight she is still morbidly obese and her age would make it a geriatric pregnancy which I guess has it’s own risks.   

And she’s so self-involved the only value she places on a child is as an accessory. And this point the costs probably outweigh the benefits on that front 

• Like 1
(edited)

Except that she WAS "power-slamming 5k calories a day."  We all saw those syrupy Starbuck's drinks she was constantly sucking on although they went to great lengths to hide her actual eating habit.  It's disingenuous to attribute this sudden weight loss in Whit (and others) to "hard work" alone.  Please.  It's obviously a game-changer, either forcing them to restrict calories to where great weight loss is possible or doing something hormonally to fat metabolism or probably both.

I wish I could take it for my 30-pound post-menopausal weight gain that I can't budge no matter what I do, but my doctor refused to prescribe even Wegovy, claiming I "don't qualify" (in fact, I do according to the prescribing criteria).  I may look into getting the generic version another way at a later date, but meanwhile will wait and watch to see how it all shakes out; it's still early days for this "new" drug.

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 2
48 minutes ago, Dibs said:

Except that she WAS "power-slamming 5k calories a day."  We all saw those syrupy Starbuck's drinks she was constantly sucking on although they went to great lengths to hide her actual eating habit.  It's disingenuous to attribute this sudden weight loss in Whit (and others) to "hard work" alone.  Please.  It's obviously a game-changer, either forcing them to restrict calories to where great weight loss is possible or doing something hormonally to fat metabolism or probably both.

With respect I don't think we can know how many calories per day she was getting as we saw so little of what she was doing.  She looked to me like someone who was basically on a diet taking a "cheat day" and going overboard with it if you ask me.  Maybe she was having a bad time or a bad day when they filmed it.  I have seen and done that before myself.  Also, people that reach a plateau or have a problem losing weight realize that they can eat more and stay the same weight with exercise so they figure they might as well enjoy themselves and work out because that's the best they're going to be able to do.  My mother got to that point.  She got disgusted with dieting and getting nowhere so she found a way to eat more and not gain weight so it was a compromise.  Still not a healthy one, but it beats eating 1500 calories a day and staying the same weight anyway.

(edited)

Well, I think we have to be careful not to project.  Just because something applies to you and your mother doesn't mean it applies to Whitney.  We all know she lies, whether it's about her diet or a million other things.

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

People may wonder why people are suddenly doing a lot of work to achieve results with weight loss drugs.  The truth is that many of them were already doing that work all along without the drugs and not seeing results.  I think Whitney might have been one of them (as am I).  With all the exercise and dancing one would think she'd have lost more weight over the years but no.  People don't see what you're already doing and dismiss or minimize it as "not enough work" just because you're not seeing results.  I have never dismissed or overlooked the effort I have seen Whitney put into her exercise over the years and didn't assume she was power slamming 5,000 calories a day to invalidate that.

I think Whitney did at least exercise when she was filmed otherwise maybe or maybe not, but I do think she probably eats or drinks a lot more than she thinks based on her car/room trash and things are her social media.  I do think PCOS (if she has it) or now maybe her age makes it harder to lose weight but I think she might discount how many calories she gets from those sugary coffee drinks which to me are more like a dessert, but I don’t want to beat a dead horse too much so I do think it’s great based on the pics and videos she’s posting she seems more mobile.  It’s a lot better than that pic of her plopped down on the beach like a toddler.  She’s not my favorite but kudos to her if she’s getting healthier 😊

(edited)
3 hours ago, Dibs said:

Well, I think we have to be careful not to project.  Just because something applies to you and your mother doesn't mean it applies to Whitney.  We all know she lies, whether it's about her diet or a million other things.

I don't think I'm projecting anything. I was saying that it's not a given that she's eating 5,000 calories a day because I know first hand what it's like to be overweight and on diets and there are a lot of possibilities other than concluding that she's eating 5,000 calories a day.  Personally I think that at her age and height if she were eating that much every day she would be on "My 600 lb. Life" by now, not my almost 400 "fat fabulous" life. 

I am about 5'2" and know how little it would take to get up to her highest weight without diet and exercise.  Probably a lot less than most people think and I've read that in many articles on the subject of dieting.  For steady weight gain it would only take about 300-500 calories over what the average person's body burns on a daily basis to keep gaining weight (probably even less for a short woman).  Doing that for a long period of time would be enough to make some people 380 lbs. after a while.  It might take more like 1,000 calories a day over what one burns to gain it quicker than that.  And I doubt that she burns anywhere near enough to maintain 300 something pounds on 5,000 calories a day.  She would have to have a high metabolism to do that or exercise all day and I doubt that's the case.   On 5,000 calories a day she'd be more like 450-500 lbs. according to several websites on the subject.

Also, she hasn't lied about how many calories she eats in a day, she just hasn't made it public knowledge.  I don't automatically assume from that that she's eating 5,000 calories a day or anywhere near it when I know it takes less than that to get to her weight at her height. 

Edited by Yeah No

Research the number of calories in Starbucks drinks and get back to me!  Meanwhile, it's okay to "agree to disagree."  :)

I feel like we know enough about Whitney after all these years to know that she's not honest about what she eats and how she works out.  When Glenn opened the back of her car there were way more food wrappers and drink containers than one could eat on a "bad day".  When she lived with her parents we saw Babs removing stacks of dirty plates and empty wine bottles from her room.  When she worked out with Will and was supposed to send him photos of her meals she just didn't comply when she wanted to eat off-plan.  She got the gig with the Fitness Marshall and dropped out after filming one video - and she was in charge of the "modifications"!  All she had to do was march in place and flap her arms a little until the filming stopped, but she didn't feel like it.  She had 3 pizza apps on her phone before most of us had any.  And this was how she acted when being filmed for her show - I doubt she acted better when no cameras were on her 😂  She has lost and gained some weight over the years she's been on this show, so she was probably making more of an effort at some times than others, but to act like she's "done everything" and it just hasn't worked is not true, IMO.  And even if she says it she may believe it and not have a clear view of her own behavior.  I remember one lovely girl on My 600 Pound Life who told Dr. No what she ate for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I don't think it even occurred to her that she left out the plate of several donuts that her mom sent upstairs for her to eat as she got ready in the morning.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I don't know how anyone can be called dishonest about their diet if they've never divulged what and how much they eat.  Is she on record anywhere telling the world she's on a diet or that she's eating x amount of calories every day?  If so I've missed it.  I have never heard either her or anyone discuss that so I can't say she's a liar about it.  I think it's easy to make presumptions about her that may or may not be true but to call her a liar about that is in my opinion misplaced.  Especially when she was on the campaign to prove to the world that she could be "fit and fat" she was not claiming to be on any kind of weight loss diet at all so I just don't see calling her a liar about that.  Of course she's been a liar about other things that we can substantiate but at least as far as I know not about her diet.  And I don't think that's any accident.  I think she deliberately didn't make it known because she didn't want to open herself up to criticism for those times that she just couldn't handle being on a diet.

I know how little it would take for me to gain weight over what I can normally eat to maintain so I am not going to pass judgement on anyone else for their weight gain either unless they've lied about it and I just don't think she has.  Maybe some people would consider what she does a "lie of omission" but I don't.

Edited by Yeah No
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't know how anyone can be called dishonest about their diet if they've never divulged what and how much they eat.  Is she on record anywhere telling the world she's on a diet or that she's eating x amount of calories every day?  

Some others follow her closer than I, and would have a better idea. 

But as far as I’m concerned the STRONG (and intentional) implication of her constantly blaming her weight on her phantom PCOS diagnosis (which we’ve never heard confirmed by an actual endocrinologist) is that she is the weight she is DESPITE a healthy diet. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
50 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Some others follow her closer than I, and would have a better idea. 

But as far as I’m concerned the STRONG (and intentional) implication of her constantly blaming her weight on her phantom PCOS diagnosis (which we’ve never heard confirmed by an actual endocrinologist) is that she is the weight she is DESPITE a healthy diet. 

All I remember her going on about is how her original weight gain was due to the PCOS, not that her present weight was because of that.  But once you gain the weight you're stuck with it and and it can be very difficult to lose even if you're trying.  You have to do something radical to lose it and in her case maybe it would have had to be even more radical than most people which would cause her to go up and down and never really get anywhere.  It can even make a person continue to gain in the big picture due to the "yo yo" effect.

Of course some people have argued that PCOS shouldn't cause THAT much weight gain but I'm sure that varies with the person and it also makes it easier to gain weight and much harder to lose it, and there is a lot to support that on medical sites.  What makes it harder to substantiate is that there is no one universal response to anything, really, as far as weight gain/loss goes and different people respond to different diseases/conditions differently. 

My weight gain post-menopause might be due in part to my Hashimoto's diagnosis but not everyone experiences weight gain from that either and those that do don't experience it in the same way.  It certainly had something to do with my mother 's weight gain and I'm sure for all the women down the female side of my family tree, all of whom had sudden unexplained weight gain post-menopause starting with my great grandmother that I know of.  It was especially obvious in my case that I wasn't doing anything wrong because I was on healthy diets for years when it happened and kept a rigorous diet/exercise regime at the time.  Of course everyone side-eyed that, from doctors to weight loss counselors, etc.  It was maddening.  I was on Jenny Craig, going to gyms 3 times a week, bike riding on weekends and the scale would not BUDGE and I didn't lose inches either.  Meanwhile before menopause I lost weight with Jenny.  It wasn't until several years after menopause that I was able to lose some weight with a reduced calorie/carb. diet, but never more than 25 lbs. after which I'd hit a brick wall plateau.  Happens every time.  My mother went on the Atkins diet and experienced the same thing. 

So you never know what people are doing.  Just because it doesn't show on the scale doesn't mean they aren't putting in the same effort as anyone else.  That's why I don't make assumptions about that with Whitney as much as I don't like her.  If she told the world she was on a diet and what it was they would expect her to lose weight and if she stopped losing they'd most likely blame her for it.  So I can actually sympathize with her for not opening herself up to that kind of criticism.  Of course, they're going to criticize her anyway!

Some quotes:

From this website:

https://www.fertifa.com/post/why-does-pcos-cause-weight-gain#:~:text=One of the most common,manage factors for weight gain.

One of the most common symptoms associated with PCOS is excess body weight or difficulty in losing weight. The relationship between PCOS and weight gain is complex, but for many people, abnormal hormone levels play a large role. 

From this website:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-lose-weight-with-pcos#faq

People who have PCOS may find it difficult to lose weight due to hormonal imbalances caused by the condition. While this can make reaching and maintaining a moderate weight challenging, lifestyle measures like making dietary changes, exercising, and getting enough sleep can help.

Of course they always focus on the positive, but depending on the person it can be more or less challenging.  Again I won't presume to know how hard it is for each person.

What some people don't understand is that once you've gained weight your body responds by becoming even hungrier, and if you lose some weight that hunger doesn't go away.  You just have to live with it.  In my mother's case it made her feel weak, sick and tired all the time.  I struggle with that myself.  It's only now that the medical community is becoming aware of this effect.  We have sympathy for people who are food deprived and are hungry but obese people are told they should just "buck up" and live with it like it's some kind of punishment for whatever wrongs they're seen to have committed that made them obese.  

I was a normal weight for most of my life so I know what it's like to be one, and I know I am much hungrier all the time now and my body is not "normal" anymore and whatever's going on with it is making it a LIVING HELL to maintain my weight and almost impossible to lose any more short of starvation.  Why someone like Whitney doesn't deserve some sympathy for being in that situation is in my opinion is not right.  If taking a weight loss drug is going to help her, I'm all for it and I feel sorry for her that she might not feel safe to admit it to the world.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

To me the fact that she agreed to photograph her meals for Will, took a pass on that when she felt like cheating, and laughed about it for her tv audience, but cried to his face when he confronted her tells me she lies about food.  And I don't care what method she used to lose her weight and she doesn't owe anyone an explanation now, but if she does another season of her show and claims to have done it without meds I'll call her a liar again! 😃

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
39 minutes ago, princelina said:

To me the fact that she agreed to photograph her meals for Will, took a pass on that when she felt like cheating, and laughed about it for her tv audience, but cried to his face when he confronted her tells me she lies about food.  And I don't care what method she used to lose her weight and she doesn't owe anyone an explanation now, but if she does another season of her show and claims to have done it without meds I'll call her a liar again! 😃

I don't think she does herself or anyone else any favors if she lies about how she lost the weight but I can understand not wanting to face the criticism she'd get from some people if she admitted to using weight loss drugs.  She might as well be honest about it, though because haters are always gonna hate no matter what.  And actually those drugs don't work that well if someone isn't on a diet and exercise program.  They may make it easier to lose weight but not if you're not dieting at the same time.  So obviously she's doing something to lose weight other than taking those drugs.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't think she does herself or anyone else any favors if she lies about how she lost the weight but I can understand not wanting to face the criticism she'd get from some people if she admitted to using weight loss drugs.  She might as well be honest about it, though because haters are always gonna hate no matter what.  And actually those drugs don't work that well if someone isn't on a diet and exercise program.  They may make it easier to lose weight but not if you're not dieting at the same time.  So obviously she's doing something to lose weight other than taking those drugs.

That hasn’t been my experience. I am on ozempic. I have type 2 diabetes and I am obese. I have lost 30 pounds on Ozempic. I can’t say I “diet” particularly but the Ozempic has killed my appetite. I am seldom hungry and get full very quickly, on far less food than before. I have no cravings to speak of. I do have some intermittent nausea and heartburn but mostly I’m just not particularly interested in food. I don’t exercise any more than I did before Ozempic, though I should. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't think she does herself or anyone else any favors if she lies about how she lost the weight but I can understand not wanting to face the criticism she'd get from some people if she admitted to using weight loss drugs. 

Well she has the choice to face criticism from them for using drugs, or from my type who will call out her lies!  😂. Or she could stay off of tv and mind her business, but is that really an option? 😂

• Like 2

I guess since Heather is MIA then Angie would be first in line to “tote a baby” (TM 90 day fiancé) if Whitney needs a storyline for another season decides to have a child.  I skipped the whole “new family” season but hopefully Whitney has actually come to accept Angie and vice versa and Glenn is making new memories with his relatives.

04 May 2024 17:26:53

Life is so much better with a sister! 🫶🏻 I love you, @angieb_2003! Thank you for accepting, loving, and supporting me from day one. Thank you for stocking my pickles in your fridge and offering to carry my child! Thank you for being so thoughtful and selfless and for allowing us to join the rest of your big, beautiful family! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎈 I love you, sis!”

image.thumb.jpeg.6180576051410062b79296a9aca308bd.jpeg

• Mind Blown 1
(edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 12:29 AM, Yeah No said:

And actually those drugs don't work that well if someone isn't on a diet and exercise program.  They may make it easier to lose weight but not if you're not dieting at the same time.  So obviously she's doing something to lose weight other than taking those drugs.

The drugs, for one thing, make you lose your appetite.  I've heard many people say they have to force themselves to eat even a tiny bit and are even repulsed by food while taking it.  Obviously, this makes it easier to "diet."  I don't think you could even call it dieting; it's just not eating because you don't want to.  So basically Whitney's doing what she's always done in relation to food: whatever she wants to.

As for weight gain in women after menopause, that's very common; I don't know that it's unique to people with Hashimoto's Disease.

Finally, isn't Angie a little old to be "totin' a baby"?  Whitney's niece would be a more logical choice if we were to pursue this fantasy storyline.

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 3
(edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 12:23 PM, Elizzikra said:

That hasn’t been my experience. I am on ozempic. I have type 2 diabetes and I am obese. I have lost 30 pounds on Ozempic. I can’t say I “diet” particularly but the Ozempic has killed my appetite. I

48 minutes ago, Dibs said:

The drugs, for one thing, make you lose your appetite.  I've heard many people say they have to force themselves to eat even a tiny bit and are even repulsed by food while taking it.  Obviously, this makes it easier to "diet."  I don't think you could even call it dieting; it's just not eating because you don't want to.  So basically Whitney's doing what she's always done in relation to food: whatever she wants to.

I never thought being on a diet meant you had to feel hungry or do things you don't want to do.  It's still a diet even if you don't feel like it's one.  Dieting for weight loss is about reducing your caloric intake.  It doesn't make a difference if it doesn't feel like you're doing it intentionally.  It's still a diet, even if it's not one that involves a particular regimen or program.

When I had gallbladder issues I was unable to eat very much without bad indigestion and pain for 4-5 months.  I had gallstones and eventually had my gallbladder removed but even afterward there were still stones stuck in my bile duct that they couldn't see on imaging and didn't show up on tests.  It took 3 more months and 3 more endoscopic procedures to remove them.  In the meantime I could not eat ANY fat at all without pain.  It didn't matter what kind either.  So I ate a virtually fat free diet and I'm sure it was less than 1,000 calories a day.  I didn't feel like eating much and had no appetite either.  I lost 25 lbs. in those few months. 

I would like to say it was easy and didn't feel like a diet but it didn't work that way for me.  I wasn't happy eating like that.  It was unsatisfying and extremely hard to accomplish.  Maybe it's not that severe on Ozempic but it's not that different either.  The only thing I appreciated about it was the weight loss and for that I was grateful.  If not for the pandemic, my father's death and the crazy life I had for 2 years after that I might not have gained it back and then had to lose it again!

I am still considered obese but I would have to look emaciated not to be at least overweight.  I don't know how they determine these things.  I wear a petite size 16 and only because most of the weight is in my stomach below the waist.  If not for that I would be wearing a smaller size.  I take a petite size large in tops.  When I was 150 lbs. I was wearing a size 8 but I was still considered overweight.  So that might put things in perspective. 

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 3

I would say a diet is the intentional reduction of calories.  Eating less as a result of losing your appetite would be unintentional.  

• Like 2

I never thought being on a diet meant you had to feel hungry or do things you don't want to do.  It's still a diet even if you don't feel like it's one.  Dieting for weight loss is about reducing your caloric intake.  It doesn't make a difference if it doesn't feel like you're doing it intentionally.  It's still a diet, even if it's not one that involves a particular regimen or program.

I don't want to parse words but Ozempic doesn't feel like a "diet" to me. When I wasn't on it, I was careful about what I ate because of the diabetes (and my blood sugar fluctuated, sometimes wildly). The only way I was able to lose weight was to measure/weight everything I ate and count every calorie, stopping at about 1,200 per day. I was always hungry and I had a lot of food cravings. I felt deprived. That was a diet to me. 

On Ozempic, I pretty much eat what I want to eat but I don't want much and I don't particularly enjoy food much beyond the first taste. I wouldn't say food repulses me but I don't really enjoy it anymore either. 

To bring it back to Whitney and the show, I don't really have an opinion on whether she should take advantage of new medications or surgery or just do what she does but if she is presenting herself as being on a "reality" tv show, then I think she should be honest about what she is doing. I don't think that she owes her audience every detail of her life and in particular, of her medical situation. But what she does tell us should be truthful.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Experiencing weight loss while taking a drug intentionally for that purpose is not just an unintentional side effect of the drug for people that do it.  To me that's what makes it their diet program, just one that doesn't involve adopting any particular eating plan.  If the weight loss just happened as a result of a medical issue like it did in my case it probably wasn't really a "diet" but a side effect even if the results were the same.

So I think it depends on a person's intentions taking the drug.  Perhaps Whitney tells herself she takes the drug to lower blood sugar, not to lose weight, so even if she loses weight with it she's not on a diet or seeking medical intervention specifically for weight loss.  I'm just trying to understand her or whatever she's spinning it to be.

The way she's acting certainly seems like someone who is not that interested in food in the way Ozempic and other similar drugs seem to make people feel.  She keeps saying she lost interest in food while grieving her mother's death but I don't believe it was just that alone.

• Like 2

The literal definition of a diet is "a course of food to which one restricts oneself," so no, Ozempic itself is not a "diet."  It's a drug that happens to eliminate one's appetite.  As a happy (?) side effect, one naturally consequently loses weight.  Again, if Whitney has lost her appetite, there's no willpower or self-discipline involved in eating less; in fact, it sounds like that's beyond the users' control.  Agree to disagree about how much credit Whitney deserves for this sudden weight loss which she could never achieve before Ozempic came along.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Dibs said:

The literal definition of a diet is "a course of food to which one restricts oneself," so no, Ozempic itself is not a "diet."  It's a drug that happens to eliminate one's appetite.  As a happy (?) side effect, one naturally consequently loses weight.  Again, if Whitney has lost her appetite, there's no willpower or self-discipline involved in eating less; in fact, it sounds like that's beyond the users' control.  Agree to disagree about how much credit Whitney deserves for this sudden weight loss which she could never achieve before Ozempic came along.

This is what I don’t love about diet and weight loss conversations. I don’t think that the ability to lose weight without medications or surgery is necessary a question of willpower or something for which someone should receive credit. I’m not sure why we laud people for the ability to deny their body’s needs, particularly if they have to do so to a really unhealthy level to lose weight. I’m not sure that it should be a thing to celebrate - “hey, I denied myself food and felt lousy and lived with my stomach growling and went to bed hungry but I lost a few pounds!” Yay?

I have spent a lot of time with people with eating disorders and our culture’s celebration of thin people, and particularly those who suffer to get and stay thin is actually fairly disturbing to me. I’ve really moved away from seeing weight loss as being a matter of “willpower” or being a skill to celebrate. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

This is what I don’t love about diet and weight loss conversations. I don’t think that the ability to lose weight without medications or surgery is necessary a question of willpower or something for which someone should receive credit. I’m not sure why we laud people for the ability to deny their body’s needs, particularly if they have to do so to a really unhealthy level to lose weight. I’m not sure that it should be a thing to celebrate - “hey, I denied myself food and felt lousy and lived with my stomach growling and went to bed hungry but I lost a few pounds!” Yay?

I have spent a lot of time with people with eating disorders and our culture’s celebration of thin people, and particularly those who suffer to get and stay thin is actually fairly disturbing to me. I’ve really moved away from seeing weight loss as being a matter of “willpower” or being a skill to celebrate. 

Exactly!  That's one reason I really appreciated what Oprah said on her flawed special that normal weight people often don't even think about what they're eating.  They're not on a diet, it never even crosses their minds and yet they stay a normal weight eating things and amounts of those things my body post-menopause gains weight on very easily.  It really pisses me off that I get blamed for something that isn't my fault.  I always knew it wasn't my fault because I was thin when I was young so I knew what it was like and I knew I was eating much less now than I did then!

My husband always had a weight problem and I NEVER told him he "ate too much".  I knew better watching him and my mother struggle  to say that.  And I knew that one day I'd likely be in the same boat given my genetics.  My husband likes to remind me of the days when we were dating 45 years ago when we'd double date with my best friend and his friend who were dating each other.  We'd go to an ice cream parlor (Jahn's) and his friend and I would split the "Twosday" which was an ice cream soda for two.  Or the "Kitchen Sink" which was several scoops of ice cream and toppings and bananas, like one huge banana spit in a bucket.  We'd routinely go to diners for "cheeseburger deluxe" or huge cheese omelets.  Then for dinner we might go over to my parents' house for steak.  And forget all the fast food I ate!  And I barely weighed 110 lbs. soaking wet!  Now, OK, I never finished anything back on those days but I don't even eat those things now and I have weight problems.

• Like 2

I actually agree with you about "willpower" and diets.  I'm 30 pounds overweight thanks to menopause (eating like I've always eaten) and refuse to starve myself to lose the weight, which is what would be required.  Granted, not having an appetite would make that easier...  

My point is: by NOT admitting to using these drugs, Whitney is IMPLYING that she's doing it by willpower alone.  That's deceptive and misleading and ultimately potentially damaging to others.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Dibs said:

I actually agree with you about "willpower" and diets.  I'm 30 pounds overweight thanks to menopause (eating like I've always eaten) and refuse to starve myself to lose the weight, which is what would be required.  Granted, not having an appetite would make that easier...  

My point is: by NOT admitting to using these drugs, Whitney is IMPLYING that she's doing it by willpower alone.  That's deceptive and misleading and ultimately potentially damaging to others.

I don’t follow her on social media and I missed the entire last season of the show, but I thought she said that grief made her lose her appetite. I’ve had that happen, so I know it’s possible. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I don’t follow her on social media and I missed the entire last season of the show, but I thought she said that grief made her lose her appetite. I’ve had that happen, so I know it’s possible. 

When my mother died I lost a few pounds but that was before menopause and even before perimenopause so I was skinny anyway.  My father died from Covid early in the pandemic and that time I gained weight.  I didn't do anything different other than the few M&Ms I ate.  I was being very careful about what I ate but it didn't matter.  I didn't have much else to do when we were locked down and I actually didn't have much of an appetite.  But tell that to my body.  Of course this was post-menopause.  People have argued with me that it was not possible to gain weight unless I was eating a lot more but I wasn't.  The body can react to stress in different ways and post-menopause it was a different ballgame for me and my body. 

I am actually tired of arguing with people about my experiences.  I have been dieting and doing a lot to manage my weight for years but my body continues to "up the ante" on me making it harder for me to lose weight and easier to gain it the more weight I lose.  And from what I'm reading the medical wisdom on this is finally confirming this phenomenon for me.  It's not something I'm doing wrong, it's what my body is doing to fight my efforts.  My mother used to talk about this 30 years ago.  She would tell me her body was fighting her efforts to lose weight.  I can sympathize with someone like Whitney who quite possibly was in such a "catch 22" situation.  At some point you just say "Fuck it, if I'm going to be fat anyway I might as well eat and not kill myself to get nowhere!"  I struggle not to do that every single day of my life and it's NOT EASY.  I am also trying to minimize the detrimental effects food can make to my blood sugar, cholesterol and other numbers so it's not just about losing weight for me.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I'm not one to judge anyone else's grief process, but I remember Whitney's affect and demeanor after Babs passed; she seemed - weirdly - absolutely elated, even manic.  I wouldn't expect a depressed loss of appetite with the giddiness she was exhibiting.  Coincidentally, that's when the WL drugs became really hot. 

But I absolutely agree with you that our (female) bodies make it harder to lose and keep it off as we age.  When I was younger, if I didn't eat for a few days, I would lose pounds.  I recently had a terrible flu and didn't eat anything to speak of a for a whole week.  Did I lose even an ounce?  NO, I didn't!  And Whitney is getting up there in years now.  These drugs certainly seem to be a game-changer!  I haven't ruled out their use out entirely for myself, but will watch and "weight."

Edited by Dibs
  • Like 3
15 minutes ago, Dibs said:

I'm not one to judge anyone else's grief process, but I remember Whitney's affect and demeanor after Babs passed; she seemed - weirdly - absolutely elated, even manic.  I wouldn't expect a depressed loss of appetite with the giddiness she was exhibiting.  Coincidentally, that's when the WL drugs became really hot. 

But I absolutely agree with you that our (female) bodies make it harder to lose and keep it off as we age.  When I was younger, if I didn't eat for a few days, I would lose pounds.  I recently had a terrible flu and didn't eat anything to speak of a for a whole week.  Did I lose even an ounce?  NO, I didn't!  And Whitney is getting up there in years now.  These drugs certainly seem to be a game-changer!  I haven't ruled out their use out entirely for myself, but will watch and "weight."

Everyone processes grief differently.  I chalked it up to her trying hard to be "up" for the show to show that they were celebrating Babs's life rather than wallowing in grief.  Meanwhile in private it might have been very different.

Speaking of getting sick, I had Covid last Fall and even lost my taste and appetite for a while.  I hardly ate for two weeks and didn't lose a freaking pound.  I truly wonder if I'd lose very much if anything on Ozempic even if it didn't make me sick, that's how bad my problems are.  I probably need to go on thyroid hormone or something but so far the doctors say I don't need it.  I should get a second opinion.

• Like 2

You're nicer than I am.  I think she's thrilled to have Glenn all to herself (at least before Angie came along) and be Queen Bee...

But, again, agree to disagree!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Apparently they  are coming back for another season

spacer.png

Right now on IG Whitney had asked where she can meet a man. “Y’all…LET’S GO MEET A MAN! I’m going to follow the 100+ suggestions y’all gave me on where to meet a man in the wild until I DO”#LetsMeetAMan series

So far she has gone to Lowes and Longhorn Steak House, hopefully she’ll meet some actual guys not Blurs.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
On 5/10/2024 at 3:32 PM, Irate Panda said:

Apparently they  are coming back for another season

spacer.png

Right now on IG Whitney had asked where she can meet a man. “Y’all…LET’S GO MEET A MAN! I’m going to follow the 100+ suggestions y’all gave me on where to meet a man in the wild until I DO”#LetsMeetAMan series

So far she has gone to Lowes and Longhorn Steak House, hopefully she’ll meet some actual guys not Blurs.

This was discussed at length on Reddit (I don't comment there but I lurk, it's a lot of fun reading what others think). She went to a family-oriented chain steakhouse, sat alone in a booth for one where she couldn't really be seen, interacted with no one but the server, and filmed herself eating. It looked like it was the middle of the day at a very empty restaurant. What a great way to meet men!

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
8 hours ago, monagatuna said:

This was discussed at length on Reddit (I don't comment there but I lurk, it's a lot of fun reading what others think)

I think they are more brutal than we were (before the rule changes.) Lol

• Like 1
9 hours ago, monagatuna said:

She went to a family-oriented chain steakhouse, sat alone in a booth for one where she couldn't really be seen, interacted with no one but the server, and filmed herself eating. It looked like it was the middle of the day at a very empty restaurant. What a great way to meet men!

Sounds like she was more interested in meeting the steak.  "Meat" and greet!

• LOL 4
On 5/13/2024 at 5:25 PM, DanaMB said:

I think they are more brutal than we were (before the rule changes.) Lol

They are definitely quite coarse, but they're not liars.

• Like 1
On 2/16/2024 at 11:48 AM, Gramto6 said:

I think she is saying "without medical intervention" to mean she didn't have any surgical procedures, but hoping it will spill over in people's minds to mean also no meds.  No way she isn't using something like Ozempic, she just won't accept that it does fall under "medical intervention". Magical thinking, magical weight loss...

Yes, it is good for her health that she has lost weight, but why not be honest?

Ah, well. That's sad then. The stand off between Her Fabulousness and Dr Now would have been well worth the cost of my satellite subscription, all by itself.

On 5/1/2024 at 12:17 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Oprah’s special was pretty good.  It only covered a little though. There’s so much more.  

I think I’ve posted before that I suspect many people think that I used injectables for weight loss. But, I didn’t.  I have a tight diet full of nutrition and a daily workout schedule.  I suppose I shouldn’t care what people think.  For me, I just got inspired to live my best life.  If wasn’t all that difficult.  I lost most of my 75 pounds since last July.  A few more to go.  

I do look forward to seeing how Whit portrays daily life if she’s losing weight.  

Congulations on your success. I also recently lost some 30 pounds without medical means. But I don't think people would want to follow my method: Lyme Disease. Just one li'l tick bite and those pounds just "magically" melted away.....

• Hugs 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Not Buyin It said:

Ah, well. That's sad then. The stand off between Her Fabulousness and Dr Now would have been well worth the cost of my satellite subscription, all by itself.

Congulations on your success. I also recently lost some 30 pounds without medical means. But I don't think people would want to follow my method: Lyme Disease. Just one li'l tick bite and those pounds just "magically" melted away.....

No, Lyme Disease does not sound good at all!  I’ve read that is really debilitating.  Hope you are okay.

I’m now down 80 pounds.  I haven’t used Ozempic or similar meds, but would if I needed to.  My recent weight loss hasn’t been that difficult, but it used to be.  I’m not sure what happened to me.  I’m writing a book about it though.  

I do look forward to the new season, but haven’t seen any previews on TLC. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1

This should probably go here instead of in "Small Talk," but I'm seeing a lot of pics online from Whit's social media showing her with a newly thin ("Ozempic") face, but a body that looks totally wrecked from carrying around all that extra weight into her 40s.  I wonder, speaking of Dr. Now, if she'll need skin or lymphedema removal if she keeps losing.  Her new sister looks like she's gotten a glam-up makeover between seasons, too!  They're going all Hollywood on us.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Dibs said:

This should probably go here instead of in "Small Talk," but I'm seeing a lot of pics online from Whit's social media showing her with a newly thin ("Ozempic") face, but a body that looks totally wrecked from carrying around all that extra weight into her 40s.  I wonder, speaking of Dr. Now, if she'll need skin or lymphedema removal if she keeps losing.  Her new sister looks like she's gotten a glam-up makeover between seasons, too!  They're going all Hollywood on us.

I caught up on her Instagram and it looks like she's plateaued since her recent weight loss.  Her face does look thinner, athough some people think she's using one of those "thinifying" features for her selfies.  In her more figure skimming outfits you can see she has some skin hanging.  Those "meet a man" videos are dumb, though.  I don't even get the feeling she's serious about it, just using the opportunity to make videos of herself.  Does anyone still think in 2024 that you can meet a man in a bookstore?  One of the biggest myths ever.  I'm sure it has happened but it's definitely not a "thing", not even close.  She says she's following up on fan suggestions for where to meet men.  I wish I could tell her that most of the time you meet a man when you're not actively trying to.  And people do meet online although even that today is harder than it ever was not that it was ever easy.  Meeting a man in a movie theater?  Who is giving her this bad advice?  LOL

On 5/2/2024 at 7:25 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I was prescribed Wegovy, but my insurance denied it.  So, I just continued on my own.  I’m ok with that.  Hopefully, I’ll maintain ok. My entire relationship with food has changed.  As have my food preferences.  

Oh, dear Lord, NO! No child deserves to be dropped into the midst of this sh-t show. She is not fit to raise a child. There is no father present. And the Barnacles? Please.

• Like 2