Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Matt & Redmond

Vyk
  • Start Topic

I like both of these guys a lot, especially Redmond.  They and #Teamfun are my favorites so far.

On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 5:12 AM, Vyk said:

They're going to crush the physical tasks and dominate the race.  Don't like that one bit.

I have no problem with a team physically dominating the race when one of them gave his leg serving our nation.

• Love 4

They seem to be one of the most likable alpha-male teams I've seen on the Race. Warm, hard-working, focused. And I'm fascinated by Redmond's blade-like prosthesis, having seen it in competitions over the last couple of years.

• Love 2

Damn, boys.  I didn't know you were dicks (which I really didn't want to say about a war vet).

Lame deal or not, they should've honored it, anyway, for some goodwill and not putting targets on their backs.  Once they (very happily) broke it, they deserved what they got.  It was nerve-wracking to see them dominate the first part of the leg, but it was very satisfying to see them lose their lead through some bad luck, followed by Redmond fouling up the Roadblock.

Dropped from first to third, and well-deserved.  Karma's a bitch, boys.

• Love 3

Wow.  What a pair of ASSHOLES.

I'll get the good out of the way first.  Ahem.  So despite being U-Turned, they still managed to get the hang of the Weave It Detour, pretty much blew right through the Build It Detour, and Matt killed the Roadblock.  All of this helped them make up time and finish fourth.

But now for the bad.  Uh . . . no, boys.  It doesn't make a team weak or pathetic to target you with a U-Turn.  It makes them smart to try and eliminate a potential team of alpha-male threats.  You just lucked out the tasks were all physical on this leg.  And being a pair of bullies toward the team that U-Turned you?  You've hit a whole new low in jerkitude.  Yeah, it's mostly Redmond, but Matt is clearly loving being a part of it, too.  Very clearly.

Between this entire leg (including cutting the line just because they could) and breaking the (however inane) deal on the last leg jus because they could, I really don't like these two.  Hope they get the biggest comeuppance ever.

• Love 3

Wow.  What a pair of ASSHOLES.

I can fully get on board with there being one asshole - Redmond's trigger was most certainly flipped and he focused in on "weakness" as a way to threaten Vanck & Ashton in a way that really just made himself look like a raging bully. Honest question, though: was Matt really loving being a part of it? I certainly didn't see him actively challenge Redmond on his shit, which would have been the ideal response, but I also didn't see anything to really indicate he was encouraging it or enjoying it. He seemed to kind of sheepishly shrug and be like, it is what it is. Not exactly something to cheer for or respect, but I guess I don't see him actively participating in the assholery in the same way as his teammate.

Maybe an asshole and a half.

1 hour ago, hendersonrocks said:

I can fully get on board with there being one asshole - Redmond's trigger was most certainly flipped and he focused in on "weakness" as a way to threaten Vanck & Ashton in a way that really just made himself look like a raging bully. Honest question, though: was Matt really loving being a part of it? I certainly didn't see him actively challenge Redmond on his shit, which would have been the ideal response, but I also didn't see anything to really indicate he was encouraging it or enjoying it. He seemed to kind of sheepishly shrug and be like, it is what it is. Not exactly something to cheer for or respect, but I guess I don't see him actively participating in the assholery in the same way as his teammate.

I think Matt isn't as bad as Redmond, but he has not said anything that would indicate that he's not pleased with their asshole behaviours. He seems to be slightly more apologetic than Redmond, but he's still an asshole since he went along with it and seemed to be fine with Redmond bullying Ashton and Vanck. 

Also, didn't Matt get into the trash talking toward Ashton when they were running to the boats to get to the detour? Or was that just Redmond?

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:07 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Also, didn't Matt get into the trash talking toward Ashton when they were running to the boats to get to the detour? Or was that just Redmond?

Matt was very happily doing it, too, but not to the same extent or volume as Redmond.

Edited by Vyk

Finally caught up with the show. Here's what I don't understand: why did these two make the deal in the first place? I get that it gives them a 50% chance of getting to fly first, even if they arrive second, but is that worth it for a guarantee of alienating another team so early on? Especially since they were always going to be the first and second teams out and it was so early in the leg. The chances of gaining an advantage that would eliminate Vanck and Ashton (or any other team, really) or allow Matt and Redmond to finish first were vanishingly small. They should have just told Vanck and Ashton thanks but no thanks when they suggested the coin flip. No one will hold it against you if you decide to keep in the spirit (and indeed the title) of The Amazing Race—at least, not without that person looking like an asshole themselves.

I'm also not a fan of teams that complain about perfectly valid elements of the race, like the U-turn. I would love to see them find themselves unexpectedly at the back of the pack during a leg that has a U-turn—we'll see then if it's only "weak" teams who use it, or if U-turning people suddenly becomes a sign of intelligence and a strong competitive spirit.

• Love 2

Not as bad as they were the last two legs, but Redmond's still a dick.  They were lucky that Brooke couldn't keep quiet at the Lock Detour about the secret compartments, after which Matt was able to find one.  Lucked out some more with bunching up with the ferry.

Was worried that this would help them win the leg, especially when Redmond seemed to blow through the Roadblock, but he luckily had to go back and fix the holes in his ladle.  Fourth place, which isn't too shabby.  But I still just want them gone.

Also, admitting that he kept telling Brooke to calm down because he knew it annoyed her and he liked doing it?  Asshole.

So Redmond is still a dick on the second leg, this time with him saying that men's teams have no drama while women are the ones who do bring the drama.  Matt did a good job with the Roadblock, but they were both clearly lost at the Trolls Detour.  They were hugely lucky that Tara & Joey, in their inexplicable confusion, helped them out.  I was scared they'd land an unearned win since they were helped out majorly, but in the end, they somehow lost out to Tara & Joey, anyway.  Good.

Second place was good, but giving how much trouble they were having, they should've been fourth or fifth.

• Love 3

I'm going to be the Unpopular Opinion voice in this thread.  I liked this team immensely at first, and then kind of liked them less for a while.  I hear what they say in each episode, but have been puzzled by how popular they are with so many of the other teams.  And that, even though they are incredibly strong. 

I'm back to liking them now from watching the U-Tube clips.  In those clips, it's surprising how many times Red tells us how much he likes Brooke, and that they consider Brooke & Scott to be friends on the race.  In fact they don't seem to have much bad to say about anyone other than Ashton, and that isn't all that undeserved.  The latest thing is that Ashton is mad because other people are following them, and she doesn't think that's fair.  Some are, of course, but it is the only road to get to their destination, so even folks with their own map will be using that road with little to no interest in Ashton.  Becca tells us in another clip that the boys did not cut the line at the ferry terminal, but that there was a special line set up for the TAR group, and no one else, other than the Boys Team and Team Fun noticed it. 

And they are right about all the drama being, for the most part, on the mixed gender teams.  Matt & Red aren't fighting, nor were Jess & Fran.  Tara & Joey, LoLo and Team Fun are the exceptions among couples, other than (bless their souls) Kevin & Jenn and Seth & Olive.

Although I do think they were helped by Joey & Tara on the last Detour, I think they also helped Joey & Tara, who were at a stalemate.  Tara wouldn't buy that Joey had the clue, and if it hadn't been for the opinions of Matt & Red, they also might have been there all day.  And for those who worried that Matt & Red might have beaten Joey & Tara, not a chance.  Don't know if you noticed, but Red is missing a leg and just can't do steps like those of you with 2 legs. 

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt as to whether they are nice people or not, or just two guys having a little fun to relieve stress on the race.  Just please, don't let Mean Girl Ashton win a penny.

• Love 6

These guys are complete assholes.  They have proven to be unscrupulous throughout the show! Making the deal, not honoring it, being complete shits about the u-turn! Just gross bullies. I wanted to like them but now I can't wait until they are out, hopefully sooner than later! 

• Love 1

I am probably the only one, but I like Redmond and Matt.

IMO, the only really dickish thing they did was cutting the line a few episodes back.

After watching more and more of Ashton's  pushy, domineering, entitled behavior, I have little doubt she vigorously nagged them into making the "deal".  So they finally said yes, and when they got there first they said screw it.

Just about every team gets upset when they get U-turned, so I didn't have a big problem with them trash talking to Vanck and Ashton and trying to get into their heads.  

All the other teams seem to like R&M more than they like Ashton.

• Love 2

I look forward when they have to learn a choreographed folk dance in native dress, that usually humbles the alpha male/male teams.

I might think that but Redmond seems happy to play up (except for the bullying) a good-natured facade for the camera. I've noticed that unlike teams that seem likable interacting with others, the moments when Redmond seems nicer are moments he's looking into the camera, cracking a joke, that kind of thing. I can see them being bro-y and frat-y about how hilarious it is to be a man in a dress. The frustration would only come if they really struggled with the choreography and they had to get it perfect. And then I'd probably feel bad if his leg was an issue. 

Whew!  I was feeling my blood boil, worrying that they'd finally win the leg on which their biggest "enemies" were sent packing.  And why not worry?  Despite Redmond botching the Roadblock once, they lucked out with the ferry bunch-up, lucked out again that no one saw the threat they posed and U-Turned them instead of Vanck & Ashton, and they lucked out even more that Becca & Floyd got bad directions to the Grab a Hold Detour.  But fortunately, that was canceled out when their boat driver had trouble docking their boat, so they wound up in second.

It is interesting that the alpha-male team isn't dominating the way I feared they would, but I'm enjoying that they aren't.  At least for now.  I'm sure they'll probably take home a win on a later leg.

Bryce, you're not alone. I like them, too. There have been true assholes on this show and Red is nowhere close. Shit happens. People have jerk moments. I like that they get along with each other and most of the others, it seems. 

I'm enjoying this season and like just about everyone. There have been a some stressful moments and douchebaggery, but most of the racers appear to like their partner and they seem to be having a good time also. Maybe I just want the last TAR to be fun and enjoyable. Oh, yeah, and eye candy. Casting gets an A from me for many of the guys this season.

• Love 2

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why wasting the Double U-Turn plan on Vanck & Ashton last week was a bad idea.  Of course they won the leg.  A leg chock-full of physical tasks?  Of course they'd have it made.  They did well on the Bring It Detour, and then Redmond did a passable (just passable) job at the Roadblock.

Now that they've won, I hope Redmond stops bitching about it.

1 hour ago, Chyna said:

Redmond's mask looked like shit. Anyone else who had to redo theirs should be angry about that.

The key was he used the right technique. Tara and Liz, the two who had to redo it, just freestyled it and didn't due the technique.

On 5/6/2017 at 11:41 PM, biakbiak said:

The key was he used the right technique. Tara and Liz, the two who had to redo it, just freestyled it and didn't due the technique.

Plus his first attempt was rejected but he only had to make it shinier, not start over.  None of the masks were particularly "good" nor did I expect them to be.  They had to have the basic look of the mask and use the right technique, both Tara and Liz didn't use the right technique so they had to start over.

Of course the boys were nice again on this leg.  Because they weren't near the back and everything was going well for them.  I didn't appreciate them thinking that they were the only ones enjoying the race when it's clear to me that the other teams are, too.  So for that alone, it did my heart perfectly when they got lost at the For the Bride Detour and Matt struggled with the practice portion of the Roadblock, which cost them a second win.

Yeah.  Still douches.  But effective douches, unfortunately.  They ran another perfect leg, knocking the Bamboo Climb Detour right out of the park.  If anything, just being steps behind Becca & Floyd the entire leg led to them finishing second.  But I was okay with that since I hate them.

Admittedly, it was a perfect leg for them on the second leg.  They got on the first bus to Ninh Binh, rode their bikes effectively to the temple, Matt knocked the Roadblock right out, and he got the hang of rowing their boat with his feet decently enough to keep them in what seemed to be a pretty comfortable, commanding lead.

Still hate them, though, and want them out.

• Love 1

Honestly, this was the elimination I'd been waiting for since, like, leg two.  And boy, am I glad that they not only finally got the boot, but that they got it from their own errors and pulled a first-to-last, to boot!  Taking the subway was just a stupid decision, and one that put them behind.  Then, they don't double-check the location for the first Roadblock until their driver reveals he's heading for the wrong university.  Next, Redmond struggles with the Roadblock in question.  And Matt picks a strong, but slow character for his own Roadblock and pretty much opens things up for Tara to get out of there first.  They did do the kimchi task well enough, which gave them a fighting chance, but it wasn't to be, and good for it.

I'm so glad these douchebags are off my screen and won't be taking home jack.  Later, boys!

You, especially, were the bane of my viewing, Redmond. . . . But thank you for your service.

• Love 3

I thought they were more douchebags in the first half of the edit. Then they were the front runners and running a good game in the second half. In then end, they made a bad decision by taking the rails instead of the taxi/cab. Also, they're driver took them to the wrong place, too. I thought they were going to pull it out since Tara was still there. That was crazy. That said, they weren't my favorite team but I like them way more then Brooke and Scott who I think will win now. When it rains it pours.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Nalan said:

Honestly, this was the elimination I'd been waiting for since, like, leg two.  And boy, am I glad that they not only finally got the boot, but that they got it from their own errors and pulled a first-to-last, to boot!  Taking the subway was just a stupid decision, and one that put them behind.  Then, they don't double-check the location for the first Roadblock until their driver reveals he's heading for the wrong university.  Next, Redmond struggles with the Roadblock in question.  And Matt picks a strong, but slow character for his own Roadblock and pretty much opens things up for Tara to get out of there first.  They did do the kimchi task well enough, which gave them a fighting chance, but it wasn't to be, and good for it.

I actually think Redmond did reasonably well at the cup stacking and Matt got through the video game faster than anyone else.  Had they not screwed up by picking the subway they would have easily won the leg.

• Love 4

I thought Matt really carried their team, which really helped them out. Redmond was decent at tasks, but he never beasted them like Matt. And I do think that Matt had an overall better attitude. He had his dick moments at the beginning, but everyone has their dick moments, his were only a couple here and there, and he seemed like a pretty cool guy overall. It was really just Redmond who I couldn't stand. I do appreciate that he mellowed out after Vanck/Ashton were eliminated and he was less of a douche, but their first few legs really tainted my opinion of him and now I don't think I could ever like him. 

• Love 8

Redmond seems to be holding on to a lot of anger.  It shows in his eyes, his facial expressions, and in the way he  treats people.  His leg jokes never seemed very funny to me.  I imagine he was given some help initially.  I hope that he is continuing to get help.  

• Love 2

Matt never bothered me. Did he ever really struggle with anything? I feel like the only thing that held him/them up for even a millisecond was that fishing lure challenge or whatever that was, but I think they would have figured it out within a reasonable amount of time even if Joey hadn't told them the answer. Matt really beasted his way through everything though. Even the pro gamer was impressed with his skills. Sucks that one bad decision + one bad cab ride meant the end. Hopefully he will get to return for another chance.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

Matt never bothered me. Did he ever really struggle with anything? I feel like the only thing that held him/them up for even a millisecond was that fishing lure challenge or whatever that was, but I think they would have figured it out within a reasonable amount of time even if Joey hadn't told them the answer. Matt really beasted his way through everything though. Even the pro gamer was impressed with his skills. Sucks that one bad decision + one bad cab ride meant the end. Hopefully he will get to return for another chance.

Hopefully not.  That would mean Redmond comes back, too, to which I say no thank you.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Nalan said:

Hopefully not.  That would mean Redmond comes back, too, to which I say no thank you.

Ditto. 
There have been times when the subway beats a taxi -- in protracted bumper-to-bumper traffic -- but it seemed this route was pretty clear (if they'd been going on the high way they showed, it would have been a different story.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:25 AM, Jersey Guy 87 said:

I actually think Redmond did reasonably well at the cup stacking and Matt got through the video game faster than anyone else.  Had they not screwed up by picking the subway they would have easily won the leg.

And I'm glad they didn't.  Can I please have that?

• Love 2

I actually enjoyed this team.  Sure there were some moments with Ashton's team, but, really, it could have hinged on her whole 'let's wait for each other and decide who goes first' idea.  And, I really bet that she never let that go.  Yes, it seemed that Redmond was egging on Vanck a bit; but it could have been the remnants of that whole deal that Ashton tried to enforce.  Don't know.  But, Redmond did get along with others.  Both of them seemed as good natured as possible on the leg upon which they went out.  I think they're okay guys and treated locales well.  As opposed to Tara and Joey...

I still don't want Brooke to win, but it's looking like there's a good chance that they may win.  I wonder how all those teams feel about all the times they helped her in order to get her to stop screeching now...

• Love 4
5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Yes, it seemed that Redmond was egging on Vanck a bit; but it could have been the remnants of that whole deal that Ashton tried to enforce.

This just makes them bigger jerks.  If they're mad at her, why are they egging on him?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I actually enjoyed this team.  Redmond did get along with others.  Both of them seemed as good natured as possible on the leg upon which they went out.  I think they're okay guys and treated locales well.  As opposed to Tara and Joey...

I still don't want Brooke to win, but it's looking like there's a good chance that they may win.  I wonder how all those teams feel about all the times they helped her in order to get her to stop screeching now...

This was my favorite team despite the Ashton drama.  I was looking forward to a Matt/Redmond, Seth/Olive and Jennifer/Kevin final leg.  Instead I got three teams with personalities that range from non-existent to offensive.  Oh, well, there will be another season so I can hope for a great winner at least one more time.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Sayla Vee said:

This was my favorite team despite the Ashton drama.  I was looking forward to a Matt/Redmond, Seth/Olive and Jennifer/Kevin final leg.  Instead I got three teams with personalities that range from non-existent to offensive.  Oh, well, there will be another season so I can hope for a great winner at least one more time.

At least you got the F3 you deserved.

1 hour ago, Nalan said:

At least you got the F3 you deserved.

Excuse me?  Is it because my opinion differs from yours that I deserve jerks at the end?  I'm afraid I don't really understand your reply.

I quite admire the fact that they were gracious when they lost. They didn't badmouth their cab driver even when he took them in the wrong direction (unlike Joey who was talking bad stuff about the gamer for not letting Tara win). I think Matt said it was his decision to use the subway, but Redmond never blamed him for that. Instead, he said that he chose to follow Matt's decision (thereby saying it was his fault too). I actually like the dynamics of their team, the way they worked together as a team. I don't remember them complaining about anything. Like Redmond could have made an issue how his leg is hurting throughout the race (all that running and climbing stairs will sure take a toll), but he never did. In a way they are like Team LoLo as they never had any drama between them. You would think that a team with two guys would have lots of clashes but they were not like that at all. If they were not strong at challenges, if they didn't have that fight with Ashton, they probably won't have any screen time at all like Team LoLo.?

• Love 4