Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: Integrity Award

Jonah (Ben Feldman) accompanies Amy (America Ferrera) on a trip to help her mom and dad (special guest star Tony Plana, "Ron") move out of her childhood home. Meanwhile, Glenn (Mark McKinney) desperately wants to win the freshly minted Cloud 9 Integrity Award, but starts to worry that Garrett (Colton Dunn) has a better chance of winning; Dina (Lauren Ash) tries to take advantage of Mateo's (Nico Santos) relationship with Jeff (recurring guest star Michael Bunin) to fix problems in the store - including a roach infestation; and Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) gets caught up in Glenn's self-serving campaign.

The actor who played America's father on Ugly Betty appears as her father!  Who thinks his Putin portrait is worth over $30!  (I really laughed at this.)

Amy's walls came down even more as we get a look at her childhood bedroom.

• Love 4

Forgive the rant, but as the higher ranking employee having a relationship with his subordinate, Jeff is really the one who should be shuffled around. Matteo probably lives closer to the show's Cloud 9 than any other,  so he's likely to lose time and money with a transfer. Also, it could affect his taxes. I know the storyline is realistic, but I hate that the lower ranking employee is the one penalized for a relationship he didn't even initiate. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Roaster said:

The actor who played America's father on Ugly Betty appears as her father!  Who thinks his Putin portrait is worth over $30!  (I really laughed at this.)

Amy's walls came down even more as we get a look at her childhood bedroom.

Yes. So happy t see Tony Plana. The episode had some funny moments. I agree that it wasn't as funny as other recent episodes, but I love this show, so I'm good. 

Amy climbing out the window so she won't have to talk to her cousins!

And the childhood crushes on Scott Wolf and Alyssa Milano. 

• Love 3

So I wonder how much Cloud 9 was sued for , with all the people exposed to the toxic gas. As a mom of a special needs kid, this scenario really horrified me. 

I cant imagine it would be that difficult to narrow down that it was Mateo, since Dina spefically asked Mateo to ask Jeff to take care of it.

agreed that Glenn's behavior was atrocious and his voice grates on me as well. 

Edited by neuromom
11 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Oh, how many people have I helped move that had absolutely no packing done on moving day!

Yes. That's the absolute worst. I'm glad Amelia and Jonah left. 

• Love 1

Finally got a chance to watch this. I have to agree with the general consensus that this wasn't the strongest episode. It was actually pretty much the opposite of usual for me - I really liked the Amy and Jonah story and was pretty much meh to actively disliking the rest of the show. Too much Glen, too much of the worst aspects of all the characters (what's hilarious as a punchline is often cringe inducing as a plot line) and not enough laughs. About the only thing I found interesting was where they go from here as far as Jeff/Mateo.  Do they break up? Do they bring in a new DM? Do they have Mateo transfer for a couple episodes before they give us a resolution?

On 3/18/2017 at 5:56 PM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Forgive the rant, but as the higher ranking employee having a relationship with his subordinate, Jeff is really the one who should be shuffled around. Matteo probably lives closer to the show's Cloud 9 than any other,  so he's likely to lose time and money with a transfer. Also, it could affect his taxes. I know the storyline is realistic, but I hate that the lower ranking employee is the one penalized for a relationship he didn't even initiate. 

Especially since any other stores in the immediate area will likely be under Jeff as well. Presuming Cloud 9 is either Target or Wal-Mart, I know there are at least 4 Wal-Marts within about 5 miles of my house so it may not be too big a hardship for Matteo but I'd be surprised if they weren't all under the same regional manager. 

• Love 1

Forgive the rant, but as the higher ranking employee having a relationship with his subordinate, Jeff is really the one who should be shuffled around. 

I don't think Jeff can "transfer" though because he doesn't have one specific store to supervise. I think it's realistic that they would be told one of them has to leave - maybe Jeff just told Mateo it had to be him without telling him any other option.

At first I was confused when Amy was referred to as Amelia because Amy isn't typically a nickname for Amelia, and there's a running gag where Amy is wearing a different name tag every week. So at first I thought "Oh, wow - are we finding out her real name isn't even Amy?"

14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

At first I was confused when Amy was referred to as Amelia because Amy isn't typically a nickname for Amelia

Really? Of the people I have heard of for whom Amy is a nickname, it is always short for Amelia. Usually it is just Amy on the birth certificate, though.

• Love 1
On 3/18/2017 at 6:56 PM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Jeff stays in a hotel when he stops by, so he definitely does not live close.

On 3/18/2017 at 1:26 PM, MaryMitch said:

Poor Amy; I know how hard it is to get your parents to do anything.

Yes, but it really bugged me that apparently Amy hadn't done any packing either!  Did she want the new tenants to go through all her childhood stuff and throw it away?  Did she expect her parents to do it?  She likely hasn't lived at home for years and still has all that stuff there.

• Love 2
On 3/18/2017 at 0:56 PM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

I don't know if it was a corporate decision on who should move, I had the feeling it was Jeff making the decision as the one with the bigger paycheck and the "career". 

As a rule I don't really like episodes that take place outside of the store, and this one was no exception.

I have to say Jonah and Amy are growing on me, like a slow burn. I really love that he is considerate of her needs and encourages her to take care of herself more. Like the episode where she found the money in the cargo pants - he was encouraging her to use it on herself and now he's encouraging her in this episode to let her parents deal with their own crap. I wasn't overly convinced that he was that much of an upgrade over her husband, but I'm convinced now. They're fun to watch when they're getting along and on the same team.

I loved Jeff and Mateo. Michael Bunin, who plays Jeff, used to be a main cast member on My Boys, and I loved that show. I find him really cute. Having said that, I think I read somewhere that (minor unconfirmed casting spoiler ahead)

Spoiler

he was signed on for a certain number of episodes, so Mateo will most likely stay, ending Jeff's arc. Too bad, they were my favorite ship.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

So Jonah and Amy left work, took a Cloud 9 truck, and were going to help her parents move? Did I miss the part where they both had the day off and permission to do this?

I could buy this with only a little suspension of disbelief. Anyone who's worked in retail in a big place knows you can goof off a LOT and management doesn't really care. We all knew that one worker who disappeared, or had an in with the manager which meant they could do what they wanted and no one cared. Amy has that with Glen, and is IS technically management, I think.

Sure, disappearing with a truck is a bit much, but the basic truth of ditching work with no consequences is embedded in real life.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I could buy this with only a little suspension of disbelief. Anyone who's worked in retail in a big place knows you can goof off a LOT and management doesn't really care. We all knew that one worker who disappeared, or had an in with the manager which meant they could do what they wanted and no one cared. Amy has that with Glen, and is IS technically management, I think.

But Amy and Jonah are the responsible ones, which is why I had more of an issue with them disappearing for the day. 

I used to have a picture of Scott Wolf in my locker. So that reference made me laugh.

I feel like, in a way, Amy's deal/flirtation with Jonah is that he kind of takes her away from the responsibilities/drudgery of being a former teen mom with a failing marriage stuck a low-wage job. That's what was kind of sweet about seeing them bonding in Amy's high school room- the promise of a girl who got derailed by bad mistakes, vs. the guy who never lived up to his teen promise and can't quite grow up.

• Love 7

I don't know whether Garrett really didn't grasp the concept of an all-you-can-eat buffet, or he was just giving Glenn a hard time (which is what I suspect), but that little tidbit of conversation was the funniest part of this episode for me.

• Love 3
On 3/26/2017 at 9:16 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I used to have a picture of Scott Wolf in my locker. So that reference made me laugh.

I feel like, in a way, Amy's deal/flirtation with Jonah is that he kind of takes her away from the responsibilities/drudgery of being a former teen mom with a failing marriage stuck a low-wage job. That's what was kind of sweet about seeing them bonding in Amy's high school room- the promise of a girl who got derailed by bad mistakes, vs. the guy who never lived up to his teen promise and can't quite grow up.

Good point. I don't even think they would even be a successful couple, if it came to that. Much of the attraction is in the unknown and in the way their flirting breaks up the monotony of being at work. And if they spend no time together outside of work, I don't think it can grow into a deep connection until they actually date. But the groundwork is there, certainly, so if Amy gets a divorce, I can see it growing. Just not right now.

All they really have in common is their dislike of all things Cloud Nine. Take 90 percent of coworkers and make them talk exclusively about things non-work stuff. Most of the time, they find they have nothing in common. That's kind of why I never bought Jim and Pam as being in love in the early seasons of The Office. They spent nearly no time together outside of work to get to know each other on a personal level.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2