Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: James K's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

James K. used pidgin English when describing Chinese food.  Such mocking behavior of a presumed accent is racist.  Please do not perpetuate his use of that language. 

• Start Topic

Surely going to hell w/this, but the scene where James is squeezing into the apartment door always cracks me up. Yeoooowwww (at about :56) 

On a serious note, what is it that pains his legs so? Is it just moving them with the cellulitis or is it that they are so big that squishing them together is painful? I think about the show with Kenneth Brumley - his legs were huge and permanently spread apart. They also had to cut him out of his house. 

• Love 1

I guess it may be cellulitis or lympho/lipidema, but all of these people seem to mention early on how they're always in pain.

3 hours ago, aliya said:

I think about the show with Kenneth Brumley - his legs were huge and permanently spread apart. They also had to cut him out of his house. 

And how long ago was this, because I do remember several people having to have walls cut out, but then all of sudden, they come through doors.  And I remember people being taken to warehouses to be weighed.
I'd like to see a repeat of one of the older cut-the-wall shows.
I watched  a bit of one with some exercise guy working with a 430ish lb woman, to lose weight through diet and exercise.  Not very interesting to watch, but a good way to kick start a weight loss, for those ambulatory.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, auntjess said:

I guess it may be cellulitis or lympho/lipidema, but all of these people seem to mention early on how they're always in pain.

And how long ago was this, because I do remember several people having to have walls cut out, but then all of sudden, they come through doors.  And I remember people being taken to warehouses to be weighed.
I'd like to see a repeat of one of the older cut-the-wall shows.
I watched  a bit of one with some exercise guy working with a 430ish lb woman, to lose weight through diet and exercise.  Not very interesting to watch, but a good way to kick start a weight loss, for those ambulatory.

I think it was around 2007; that's when 'Half Ton Mom' (Renee Williams) came out. I'm not sure if Brumley was in the same show or not. I vaguely remember that at the end, they said her story enabled other morbidly obese to call for help. I thought he was one of them. He was also shown briefly on Henry Foote's show (may he rest in peace). Henry is shown visiting Brumley and giving support. There are also some YT videos with him, but only clips, not a full show.

• Love 1

I really want to know what happened with this guy! why they show half the story & not years later like the other people? I hate that.

doubt he changed his ways

follow-up please TLC

• Love 1

I've got him set to rewatch.
I'd like to see a follow-up also.  Haven't heard anything about the status of the show, since the hurricane.
Also, James K would have to agree.
Maybe someone here follows James or someone in his family on FB or elsewhere.

The physical therapy company James uses set up a GoFundMe yesterday asking for money to pay for supplies and groceries. They are also making it sound like James and Lisa were left high and dry without warning, with no help at all. 

"No family should move across the country to achieve their dreams of being independent with basic tasks and be left to fight on their own with empty promises when they get to their destination."

REALLY??!

https://www.gofundme.com/my-600lb-life-family-in-need

Edited by Cineaste
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Cineaste said:

The physical therapy company James uses set up a GoFundMe yesterday asking for money to pay for supplies and groceries. They are also making it sound like James and Lisa were left high and dry without warning, with no help at all. 

O.M.G! Really?  8K will buy a lot of F-R-I-I-I-I-E-D rice. Didn’t the physical therapy company watch the show and see him in action? He’s disgusting. What’s with the beard now? A disguise perhaps? I know, he probably thinks it makes him look thinner. He totally creeps me out and I can only imagine how nasty that beard is with the constant shoveling of food in his mouth. I have to go barf now ?. GROSS.

OK, doesn't the need for a bariatric mattress to prevent bed sores, and the trapeze, indicate he's still in about the same shape he was in at the end of the show?
He looks pretty much the same to me.
Those are the PT people who came at the end of the show.
And I thought congestive heart failure meant you were nearing the end.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Thanks for the info, I didn’t realize they were the same co. I also thought congestive heart failure meant you were nearing the end.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, AntAnn said:

Thanks for the info, I didn’t realize they were the same co. I also thought congestive heart failure meant you were nearing the end.

I got curious about the apartment, then I came here, so I kept it on my DVR for a little bit.
The owner of the company, the Rudi mentions in the GoFundMe reply, and Jordan, are the ones who came on the show.
You'd think they'd have watched the episode.
I do feel for Lisa, and especially Bayley, but damn...
It looks to me like they're holding him up, in the photo.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, auntjess said:

And I thought congestive heart failure meant you were nearing the end.

Yes, those are the same PT people.  I commented way back when that it seemed strange to me that the founder of a private PT firm would show up at a patient's house . . . and all they did was push, pull, and brace James up so they could declare he was now able to "sit up."  Had they let him go, he'd have been flat on his back again.

About congestive heart failure.  Honestly, almost everyone has a level of it AFTER A CERTAIN AGE (not the age James is).  The stages are as follows:

• Class I - Patients without limitation of physical activity.
  • Class II - Patients with slight limitation of physical capacity, in which marked increase in physical activity leads to fatigue, palpitations, dyspnea, or angina pain; they are comfortable at rest.
  • Class III - Patients with marked limitation of physical activity in which minimal ordinary activity results in fatigue, palpitation, dyspnea, or angina pain; they are comfortable at rest.
  • Class IV - Patients who are not only unable to carry on any physical activity without discomfort but who also have symptoms of heart failure or the angina syndrome even at rest; the patient's discomfort increases if any physical activity is undertaken.

People with CHF CAN improve their situation by exercising, healthy eating, etc.  In other words, James' outlook doesn't look good.  And whoever commented on his appearance is correct; he doesn't look like he's lost any weight.

That gofundme write-up was ridiculous.  Yes, he had a chance to have his dream come true and get his life back.  So he took up a lot of people's money and efforts to get to Houston to meet with one of the only doctors in the world who would even consider it.  Doctor gives him a diet sheet and tells him he has to lose weight before the surgery.  So he gained (if memory serves) 176 POUNDS.  It's no one's fault but his own if he and Lisa are stuck in Houston.  He's finally having to be accountable for his behavior, and he doesn't like it.  Poor baby.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

About congestive heart failure.

Thanks for the info.  My experience was with a dog, and I don't remember what stage she had, but she didn't last long after her diagnosis.
I had forgotten how he started in on Dr. Now, about not having a home health aide, and what all else, when he arrived in Houston.
I think a fund-raiser to free the women would work, and I think Bayley would go, but poor Lisa is so downtrodden, I don't see a chance of her leaving.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Cineaste said:

"No family should move across the country to achieve their dreams of being independent with basic tasks and be left to fight on their own with empty promises when they get to their destination."

Ya know, had the premise of this show been, "Famed Sorcerer, Dr Now, will cast a spell over super-obese people allowing them to magically lose weight and become thin supermodels -- without putting forth any effort whatsoever to help themselves in the process," I'd be all in for kicking in a few bucks. But the only one denying James' "dream" is James himself. 

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

Ya know, had the premise of this show been, "Famed Sorcerer, Dr Now, will cast a spell over super-obese people allowing them to magically lose weight and become thin supermodels -- without putting forth any effort whatsoever to help themselves in the process," I'd be all in for kicking in a few bucks. But the only one denying James' "dream" is James himself. 

Yeah, I mentioned something like that in my message to Go Fund Me.

• Love 7

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that in the scene where Dr Now talks to James about the 100 lb+ weight gain, James says, "Don't start with me."  Then Dr Now says, "Are you telling me not to start?"  Love ya, Dr Now.

I betcha "don't start with me" is something James says all the time, as if he could get up and do anything about it.

I'm thinking James hasn't made much of a change. If he had, I'm sure he'd be all over social media or doing a paid interview (not that I'd blame him for getting money for his story). I also don't see anything on Lisa's FB page.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, aliya said:

Then Dr Now says, "Are you telling me not to start?"  Love ya, Dr Now.

Yes, that was great.  If talk could take pounds, James would be skinny.  At the end, wasn't he going on about "showing him" how he'll lose.
That gofundme photo looks like he's at the same weight, and still pretty much immobile.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, auntjess said:

Yes, that was great.  If talk could take pounds, James would be skinny.  At the end, wasn't he going on about "showing him" how he'll lose.
That gofundme photo looks like he's at the same weight, and still pretty much immobile.

I watched the rerun of this guy last week - ugh and more ugh.  He can't SIT UP without eight burly men helping him, then says he is "not up to" seeing Dr. Now.  What a tool.  "I held my tongue" - what were you going to say?  The girlfriend needs to take his daughter and LEAVE.  He will figure something out.  HE got sent home and gained over 150 pounds?  WTF?  Then blames everyone else.  

Dr Now:  You look bigger.  James:  "I have a new mattress."  Yeah, a new mattress automatically adds 150 pounds.  

• Love 5
On 8/3/2017 at 3:01 PM, ethalfrida said:

If you do not have the amenities set to prepare the food that is an extra cost. They like lots of meat and all the extras (and usually all those extras are not veggies if they can help it from what I've seen). I doubt if they could get away with paying as little as you do. I know where I live even if I shop in the Asian markets $4.00 will only cover some meat. But at the Chinese Fast Food you can get a serving of meat and two sides for about $6.00.

I don't see any of them preparing their meals from bags of frozen vegetables until Dr. Now puts them on that diet. I don't see any of them going to Chipotle's or Flame Broiler Chicken either. They are at the windows of the fired food and burger with a pizza on the side palaces.

I have a cousin who is quite large.  She came up when my Father was sick because she wanted to help take care of him.  She called her Mother and said we were "starving" her to death.  I had made home made chicken pot pie, steak, lasagna... (my Dad's favorites) but because we weren't eating fast food she had a fit.

I really think that stuff is addictive to people that eat it all the time.

• Love 4
On 12/2/2017 at 7:30 AM, Cineaste said:

Yeah, I mentioned something like that in my message to Go Fund Me.

Something interesting I noticed when looking at that picture . The physical therapists are both wearing gloves in order to work with him. I have had lots of physical therapy, and none of my therapists ever had to wear gloves. It appears that James is still considered a biohazard. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Something interesting I noticed when looking at that picture . The physical therapists are both wearing gloves in order to work with him. I have had lots of physical therapy, and none of my therapists ever had to wear gloves. It appears that James is still considered a biohazard. 

And it's still up there, even though I sent them a link to the previous fundraiser (you're only allowed to have one). Maybe it's a moot point since no one has been donating to either one. 

I'm sorry that the therapist is out of pocket, and could see helping him, if I had extra, but not James K.
And "“I️ could get him up with Lisa easily before the stroke. If he would have had the trapeze bar, he would be sitting up by himself by now. "
That's not "getting up," hey, Marla could do that easily by herself.  
Sitting up is not getting up.

• Love 2

I don't feel sorry for the therapist at all!  I hope he supplied his services from his heart but so publicising all he's done makes me wonder about if it was generosity or self-promotion.  I am sorry he had a stroke.  

The guy has been all over these sketchy sites talking about James.  Could be all made up for clicks.  Only reason I posted it is that the PT guy says he's failing.  

We all kind of saw that coming!

10 hours ago, Otter said:

I don't feel sorry for the therapist at all!  I hope he supplied his services from his heart but so publicising all he's done makes me wonder about if it was generosity or self-promotion.  

That's what it's been since the first time he (Rudi) showed up on camera - with him and his co-worker proudly wearing shirts with the company logo to advertise his business. The president of a fairly large health-care-related company does not go to clients' homes unless there's something in it for the company other than the fee being paid.

I think he thought he was going to use James to show how successful their services were.  Unfortunately, few people have every encountered a drain on society as big (pun intended) as James, and Rudi may not know how to get out from under what he's started.  Dr. Now had a contract which said, "You follow our plan, or we let you free."  Note that Dr. Now is not getting bad press for leaving James and Lisa on their own, because they were NOT fulfilling their part of the deal. 

Rudi got himself stuck and is probably afraid that if he does what Dr. Now has done, it will result in bad publicity.  Unless James changes ON HIS OWN, the next thing we hear about him (other than his gofundme requests) will be his obituary.  And then they'll be asking for contributions for a piano case and shipping charges to get him back to Kentucky.  

• Love 6

@AZChristian, yeah, and I don't really have a problem with him seeking publicity.  I have no idea if he thought he could actually be of any help -- it was all for show having James sitting up, but only because he was propped up by two men.  James needs a PT as part of his treatment, but only after James is down the road with treatment.  Sure, any sort of movement is exercise, but worthless until James stops eating his friiieed riiice.  Notice he didn't mention diet at all?  

Dear Dr. Now has been there, done that.  It seems that almost everyone we see on the show is on Medicaid as Steven Assanti has reminded us, and there's only so many dollars.  I hate to think someone can't get treatment because of people like James and Steven.  Cut them off.  Help those who want help and that's what Dr. Now does with much patience.  Gosh, some are so difficult, but love it when they come around.  :)

• Love 3

I very much doubt Dr. Now is still treating James. He was already DONE when the show aired, and James has obviously made no progress since. Dr. Now wouldn't waste his time (especially since the money seems to have run out).

• Love 1
On 12/9/2017 at 6:14 PM, Otter said:

I sure can't vouch for the website, but what's there seems plausible.  Be sure to click on the link to the "much needed groceries" -- sigh, tp, laundry detergent ... Lisa must be a candidate for the world's dirtiest people who are my responsibility.    Gofundme is a major fail -- can't imagine why.

https://www.inquisitr.com/4673974/my-600-lb-life-james-k-latest-update-little-progress-burdens-therapist/

So the therapist doesn't see junk food in the fridge. Some thoughts - you don't have to eat junk to be fat. I'm sure plenty of people eat regular food, just lots of it, and are very overweight. Also, they do a lot of take out. The therapist needs to check the trash cans. 

Why hasn't he been paid? Wouldn't that be through insurance? James can hardly function, you'd think that even Medicaid would cover somebody to work with him. 

• Love 1
On 12/11/2017 at 10:01 PM, aliya said:

So the therapist doesn't see junk food in the fridge.

Isn't the oven a favorite place to hide it?  I think that's where Erica stashed hers.   
And there's always a supply in the nightstand.

Now here's a thought....  I think I know a way that James and family can make some extra cash.  For some unholy reason, and don't ask me why,  gross pimple popping, ingrown hair pulling videos has become very popular on YouTube.  These get 100,000,  if not millions of views.  Dr. Pimple Popper makes well into six figures.  Jame's family needs to set up a YouTube channel and show close ups of Leesuh peeling off the thick yellow scales on his feet, and draining those legs pustule looking lumps on his legs.  The ick factor will be way more than what's being shown now. They could bring in a lot of cashola.    

• Love 1
On 12/11/2017 at 7:36 PM, Cineaste said:

I very much doubt Dr. Now is still treating James. He was already DONE when the show aired, and James has obviously made no progress since. Dr. Now wouldn't waste his time (especially since the money seems to have run out).

I just thought of something - if they are still in Houston, it would seem that Lisa and Bailey are even more trapped by care giving. At least in KY, they had other people come help with his bathing, etc. Now, are they by themselves? Jeez - what a burden that must be.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Snarkasm said:

Now here's a thought....  I think I know a way that James and family can make some extra cash.  For some unholy reason, and don't ask me why,  gross pimple popping, ingrown hair pulling videos has become very popular on YouTube.  These get 100,000,  if not millions of views.  Dr. Pimple Popper makes well into six figures.  Jame's family needs to set up a YouTube channel and show close ups of Leesuh peeling off the thick yellow scales on his feet, and draining those legs pustule looking lumps on his legs.  The ick factor will be way more than what's being shown now. They could bring in a lot of cashola.    

OK, there went my appetite for lunch. But sad to say, you may be on to something here. Sad what constitutes entertainment these days.

• Love 2
On 12/11/2017 at 5:14 PM, Otter said:

@AZChristian, yeah, and I don't really have a problem with him seeking publicity.  I have no idea if he thought he could actually be of any help -- it was all for show having James sitting up, but only because he was propped up by two men.  James needs a PT as part of his treatment, but only after James is down the road with treatment.  Sure, any sort of movement is exercise, but worthless until James stops eating his friiieed riiice.  Notice he didn't mention diet at all?  

Dear Dr. Now has been there, done that.  It seems that almost everyone we see on the show is on Medicaid as Steven Assanti has reminded us, and there's only so many dollars.  I hate to think someone can't get treatment because of people like James and Steven.  Cut them off.  Help those who want help and that's what Dr. Now does with much patience.  Gosh, some are so difficult, but love it when they come around.  :)

I don't understand how some of these people can easily get Medicaid. I had to apply for it for my elderly mother who has dementia and is in a nursing home. We jumped through hoops and just barely got it for her. My parents worked their whole lives and never used the system. I know these people are "disabled" etc.... but maybe their loved ones should go out and work and let them prepare their own meals etc....  or they could work from home. 

• Love 1
On 12/14/2017 at 11:12 AM, libgirl2 said:

I don't understand how some of these people can easily get Medicaid. I had to apply for it for my elderly mother who has dementia and is in a nursing home. We jumped through hoops and just barely got it for her. My parents worked their whole lives and never used the system. I know these people are "disabled" etc.... but maybe their loved ones should go out and work and let them prepare their own meals etc....  or they could work from home. 

You're talking about a different Medicaid program.  Your mother with dementia would be on long term nursing care. James would get just basic health care covered by Medicaid.  Different programs, current rules for qualification. 

1 hour ago, Desert Rat said:

You're talking about a different Medicaid program.  Your mother with dementia would be on long term nursing care. James would get just basic health care covered by Medicaid.  Different programs, current rules for qualification. 

thanks for clarifying it, but it still was an ordeal to go through and continue to go through. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

thanks for clarifying it, but it still was an ordeal to go through and continue to go through. 

Yes, getting nursing home coverage for parents is very difficult.  I know what you're going through. Same issues with dementia in my family.  Recently, my husband and I lost for parents in six years. Life comes at you fast sometimes. 

• Love 1

Ok, not to change the topic too much (but really, how come he doesn't have medicaid?  I don't think anyone in that household can work..) but I have rewatched this episode recently (probably the 4th time I have seen it) and i am still plagued by the following thoughts:

1. The lack of common sense in this family is baffling (and it's not that they are just uneducated, they are that too, but I know lots of uneducated people who still do well in life because they have basic common sense).  How the hell did it not occur to them that maybe, JUST MAYBE, if he lost 100 pounds before leaving KY, MAYBE, just maybe,  he could have fit into the back of Lisa's van.  They spent SO MUCH TIME on the go fund me's and other wheeling and dealing to get him to Texas that it never dawned on them that he needed to lose the weight first.  I heard it, Dr. Now was very up front with them.  He told them that he needed to get to 600 pounds before going to TX.

2. I know Dr Now loves to dole out those 1200 calorie diets, or 800 as punishment for misbehaving, but James K could have lost a metric shit ton of weight by just doing a Keto diet for six months without having to count calories and Dr. Now would have been none the wiser.  I think the 1200/800 regimens that he puts these people on are stupid as it is very hard to stick to.  The same thing with working out in a gym (or "crossfit")...go take a couple walks around the block and that will be fine until you get into the 200's.  Again, they have the internet and can launch a go fund me campaign, but they can't google diets??? the fuck?

3. Forget the CHF, how the hell does he survive with the celulitis on his legs?  Why isn't he hospitalized just for that?  When he is in the hospital, why don't they just put him on a strict liquid diet just to get enough weight off so they can make a dent in clearing up his infected legs?  I know people with a fraction of his celulitis who are hospitalized until it is under control.  Is it because he doesn't have insurance?  I'm shocked he survived the year.

So many questions!!!

Off topic - but last year we went through trying to get medicaid for my father's long term care (which ended up being shot term as his liver disease ended up taking him way too quickly) and it is a true BIOTCH!  He died in February 2016 and I believe my mom is still either making payments to the nursing home or fighting with them.