Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: James K's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

James K. used pidgin English when describing Chinese food.  Such mocking behavior of a presumed accent is racist.  Please do not perpetuate his use of that language. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, DuckyinKy said:

James K is still alive, and now a grandfather. sigh.

At least Bayley got out and has a life. 

ETA: I'm sorry, CrazyInAlabama, I swear I looked twice before I posted and didn't see your comment. I'm sorry. On the other hand, we sort of both have a similar nickname. 

So Bayley got together with someone named Clinteze Crumble and made a baby? How very Maury of her

• LOL 13

No, not a surprise.  How the heck did he get to Nashville?  Why?  The trip itself would be enough to kill him.  

Sorry for his dad who loved his son very much.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Dashing Off said:

Can't say I feel too bad considering how much of a shitbag he was. At least Lisa, and Bayley are now free.

RIP The Amy's Baking Company of My 600lb Life.

I defended Lisa as a victim of DV, but the follow up ... she could qualify for a segment of Deadly Women.  

The King/Raisor families don't even put the fun in dysfunctional.  The survivor list is hard to follow, and did Lisa and James ever marry?  I don't think so.

Nice gesture to contribute to St. Jude.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Otter said:

I defended Lisa as a victim of DV, but the follow up ... she could qualify for a segment of Deadly Women.  

The King/Raisor families don't even put the fun in dysfunctional.  The survivor list is hard to follow, and did Lisa and James ever marry?  I don't think so.

Nice gesture to contribute to St. Jude.  

You're not wrong, but I'm still gonna defend her by saying anyone would've lost it living with James, and I don't blame them.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Dashing Off said:

RIP The Amy's Baking Company of My 600lb Life.

This had me cackling to myself for a long time!

So, yeah. I saw this thread kicked up to the top of the list again and my first thought was, "Oh, guess the rerun is on" because I got tired of always thinking, "Oh, I guess he died" as the reason why.

So long, James K. Thanks for all the good times.

It must be awful for families during this time, who can't even come to a funeral.

I thought he would have died a long time ago - maybe Lisa really was feeding him right.

42 minutes ago, Dashing Off said:

You're not wrong, but I'm still gonna defend her by saying anyone would've lost it living with James, and I don't blame them.

She picked him.  He was her rescuer in her other relationship.  No wonder she tried her best to kill him with food.

When we first met them she was totally oppressed and submissive -- sleep on the floor, rebuked for not taking the wrapper off a burger and him forcing Bayley to drop out of HS.  He was a monster but in the follow up, it was like she was taking revenge for all the wrongs done to her.  Not just by James, but ALL of them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Wish people would stop with the balloon releases.  You're killing birds, or any creature that happens to get tangled, or swallows it.
Just don't.

Glad I’m not the only one who was annoyed by that. 😞

• Love 6
12 hours ago, auntjess said:

Wish people would stop with the balloon releases.  You're killing birds, or any creature that happens to get tangled, or swallows it.
Just don't.

And if the balloons are mylar, there's a chance of hitting a power line and knocking out electricity for a bunch of people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

James died a long time ago. He was just existing by the time the episode about him aired. His eyes had no life in them. He was just a body that was being kept alive with massive amounts of food.

• Love 15

I rewatched the first episode today and it was a bit different knowing that he has died.  I'm even more surprised he lived as long as he did.

I can't imagine how much pain he was in from the cellulitis -- blistered and oozing.  All I could think of was a sunburn that would send you to the ER.  Yet pain sure didn't stifle his appetite as it does with "normal" people, but James and Lisa are/were far from normal IMO.  

Lisa took care of him for decades and Bayley her entire life (though she seemed to have broken free once she left Houston).  Hope Lisa can make some sort of a life, but not hopeful.  Strange woman.  

Still curious how James ended up dying in a hospital in Nashville.  Unless he was being transported back to Paducah. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, 7EasyPayments said:

R.I.P. James King. ❣️

I may be all snarkster when the episodes air, but it upsets me when someone dies.

May he find peace, as well as everyone still on this earth, 🙏

Amen.  May he find peace

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Six kids and 19 grandkids. At 49 years old. And 800 lbs. I guess he never did anything half way. 

He and Lisa were never married.  She was a bit older than him, and while she was their mother, he was only father to two (at most).  Their daughter, Bayley (whom we saw on the show), recently gave birth.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Like many here, I love to snark on these episodes, especially when you have someone so determined to fail. Having said that, I don't take pleasure in seeing end results like this. James spent so long abusing his body that it's absolutely zero surprise that he died so young, but it saddens me that he couldn't get his act together enough to accept the help that he was offered. Unfortunately, so many of the patients that come to Dr. Now are in such dire health and I'm frankly surprised that we don't see more of those that wash out of the program ending up like this.

My deepest sympathies to his loved ones. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/5/2020 at 5:00 PM, Giant Misfit said:

This had me cackling to myself for a long time!

So, yeah. I saw this thread kicked up to the top of the list again and my first thought was, "Oh, guess the rerun is on" because I got tired of always thinking, "Oh, I guess he died" as the reason why.

So long, James K. Thanks for all the good times.

Me too.  I'm going to give an oww mah leg and order some fraaaad rice in James' honor.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 6
(edited)

Maybe he finally died because the hospitals couldn’t cater to his myriad self inflicted illnesses at this time of stretched resources and personnel? Because they said he couldn’t get scanned for a UTI, but I’ve had many of those and that’s not how they handle them. It’s a urinalysis or blood test.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:07 AM, AZChristian said:

He and Lisa were never married.  She was a bit older than him, and while she was their mother, he was only father to two (at most).  Their daughter, Bayley (whom we saw on the show), recently gave birth.

I’m assuming after 20 some odd years and 2 kids and grandchildren they had a common law marraige

Edited by Wanda
Made an oops
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Wanda said:

I’m assuming after 20 some of]dvd years and 2 kids and grandchildren they had a common law marraige

I think they were from Paducah, Kentucky . . . common law marriage is not recognized there.

• Love 2
Just now, AZChristian said:

I think they were from Paducah, Kentucky . . . common law marriage is not recognized there.

I have so many comments that pop into my mind, but they probably cross a line so won’t say them

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Dr. Now was convinced Lisa was over feeding him on purpose. She is the one that ordered and brought him all the food. He tried to call Adult Protective Services on her but they told him this isn't a crime or reason for an action on their part.

I'm not sure why every one here is happy that she is free. She enjoyed the whole thing I think. If she didn't she would have made him follow the diet. He was bedridden. We KNOW a hospital controlled diet he could have lost 200 pounds in 6 months. She was the problem.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
(edited)

Lisa also left the husband she cheated on with James, moved to another state.    Then she moved back and went to James, and never left.    I can't get over the cheating of being married to one man, and claiming to have two kids by the boyfriend (James), during the marriage.

That was explained by other posters after either the original episode, or on the Where are they Now.      

Very few states recognize common law marriage, Texas does, but there are strict requirements to have it recognized.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I sympathize with James' children and grandchildren.

I sympathize with James' father, who went into debt to secure that medical transport to Houston.

I sympathize with the many, many healthcare workers (including Dr. Now and his staff) who tried to keep James alive for years and restore him to good health, even as James himself fought them every step of the way.

I sympathize with anyone who ever had to change waste-filled sheets or clean his filthy backside because his weight had rendered him unable to clean himself or attend to his personal needs.

I cannot sympathize with James himself. Even as slow and mentally ill as he was, he HAD to know that what he was eating was killing him. He had to understand, on some level, that he was eating an ungodly amount of food every single day. In the end, he just didn't care.

I cannot sympathize with Lisa, either. When a bedbound person eats themselves to death, the people who brought them that food must be blamed as well. She could have brought him 1,200 calories a day and no more. Hell, even 2-3,000 calories a day would have more than halved his weight and allowed him mobility. Instead, she kept killing him slowly with food. I pity the next victim she latches on to.

• Love 17
(edited)
3 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

Dr. Now was convinced Lisa was over feeding him on purpose. She is the one that ordered and brought him all the food. He tried to call Adult Protective Services on her but they told him this isn't a crime or reason for an action on their part.

I'm not sure why every one here is happy that she is free. She enjoyed the whole thing I think. If she didn't she would have made him follow the diet. He was bedridden. We KNOW a hospital controlled diet he could have lost 200 pounds in 6 months. She was the problem.

But unless she held him down and stuffed the food in his mouth he had the ability to say no or just not eat what she brought in and offered him.  I suspect that's why APS didn't act when Dr. Now contacted them.

Personally I'd have got far more enjoyment from NOT ordering and giving him the fraahd rice and egg rolls and just letting him scream about it while wearing noise cancelling headphones.  

Edited by ThereButFor
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't get over the cheating of being married to one man, and claiming to have two kids by the boyfriend (James).    

I can't get over that James was the side piece. Aren't those partners supposed to be hotter than the one you have/had?

7 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I can't get over that James was the side piece. Aren't those partners supposed to be hotter than the one you have/had?

I would like to see one photo showing James just before he met her.  Or even five years before his show first aired.

Any photos we see are used as story line fodder and not always contemporaneous with the narration.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I rewatched the first episode yesterday.  Dr. Now asked them both point blank what he would do if she refused him food.  Both said he would get angry, but that was the admitted extent of his threats.   Dr. Now has heard that a gazillion times -- I remember he told one family of enablers that if he/she was going to act like a kid, treat him/her like a kid.  IOW, ignore the tantrum.

And the APS scene -- Lisa's expression when Dr. Now accused her of trying to kill him she all but cackled.  That look on her face ... it was like she was found out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I'm not sure why every one here is happy that she is free. She enjoyed the whole thing I think. 

1 hour ago, Otter said:

And the APS scene -- Lisa's expression when Dr. Now accused her of trying to kill him she all but cackled.  That look on her face ... it was like she was found out.

I know James was responsible for his own eating. But Lisa creeped me out with the look she gave Dr. Now. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

They never showed the original husband.    James also said in the original episode that he was over 400 when he met Lisa.    

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I know James was responsible for his own eating. But Lisa creeped me out with the look she gave Dr. Now. 

He was responsible, but she literally fed his addiction so I hold her more accountable.  He was as much as an addict as a heroin or meth addict living on the streets stealing to feed _that_ addiction.  She pretended for the cameras to stick to the diet and as soon as he complained she ordered Chinese.  Not one bit of resistance.  She knew better and she was in control.  Good Lord, in one month (or two) he gained 150 pounds!  I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I gave an alcoholic a case of gin, that addict would drink it all and die within a week.  

That look was pure evil.   It scared me!  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Yeah,  but he had a great personality and was so much fun!

• LOL 8
(edited)
On 4/8/2020 at 3:53 PM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

I sympathize with James' children and grandchildren.

I sympathize with James' father, who went into debt to secure that medical transport to Houston.

I sympathize with the many, many healthcare workers (including Dr. Now and his staff) who tried to keep James alive for years and restore him to good health, even as James himself fought them every step of the way.

I sympathize with anyone who ever had to change waste-filled sheets or clean his filthy backside because his weight had rendered him unable to clean himself or attend to his personal needs.

I cannot sympathize with James himself. Even as slow and mentally ill as he was, he HAD to know that what he was eating was killing him. He had to understand, on some level, that he was eating an ungodly amount of food every single day. In the end, he just didn't care.

I cannot sympathize with Lisa, either. When a bedbound person eats themselves to death, the people who brought them that food must be blamed as well. She could have brought him 1,200 calories a day and no more. Hell, even 2-3,000 calories a day would have more than halved his weight and allowed him mobility. Instead, she kept killing him slowly with food. I pity the next victim she latches on to.

ITA completely @Sir RaiderDuck OMS. I am truly surprised that it took this long. It was crystal clear during the their second episode that Lisa was clearly, and apparently legally, killing James and he was just too greedy, lazy and stupid to see it. Dr. Now did everything humanly possible to alert APS about the situation but all he got was a big, fat yawn from them. That evil grin she gave Dr. Now in the hospital when he busted her for sneaking in pizza said it all.

That man literally inhaled an enormous amount of good will, compassion, medical professionalism, money and more--major shout out to all the first responders who had to haul his whiney uncooperative ass all over the place--that could have easily been used to help any ten motivated, desperate super morbidly obese people and he squandered all of it.

I have just one question for Lisa: was your revenge worth it? He's dead and you have no career, little to no money and probably not the best relationship with your daughter. Remember, karma is a bitch and so are you.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • Love 8

His obit says Lisa was his wife even calling her Lisa Raisor King.  Maybe they did get married which could be done in a hospital room if he was cognizant.  Others brought up common law and only Texas is pretty lax about it.   A few others states recognize it, but much more limited.

This link has other links that are quite interesting.  From what we know, James and Lisa would have definitely be deemed "married" under Texas law.

https://guides.sll.texas.gov/common-law-marriage

Nothing to inherit except SS benefits once she's old enough.  No minor children so nothing for them in way of survivor benefits.  She's so mean though, she might go after his dad's estate, if there's anything left after refinancing his home.  She would probably beat you up for $20.  

Still wonder why he died in a hospital in Nashville.  I googled it, and it has an in-patient super comprehensive rehab program so maybe he was accepted there.  

• Useful 4
(edited)

I wonder if James paid into Social Security enough to qualify for a survivor's benefit?   My guess is he didn't.  

The printed obituaries are from information supplied by the surviving family, so that's why all of Lisa's children were listed as James' children.      I've seen really bizarre mistakes in my family obituaries, and I suspect James K's wasn't any more accurate. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 4
On 4/8/2020 at 5:28 PM, Otter said:

I rewatched the first episode yesterday.  Dr. Now asked them both point blank what he would do if she refused him food.  Both said he would get angry, but that was the admitted extent of his threats.   Dr. Now has heard that a gazillion times -- I remember he told one family of enablers that if he/she was going to act like a kid, treat him/her like a kid.  IOW, ignore the tantrum.

Well @Otter I think this is the look you're referring to:

729B89AE-4032-420B-857F-ADA37C52089D.thumb.jpeg.0db3d8bfcf80fe31b47e5ec3115c6de5.jpeg.ee592b321da20c76e0999c7972450a4e.jpeg

There she is, Dr. Evil's long lost twin, Lisa. She's just like him really except no charm, real intelligence, quick wit, etc.

This screen shot was from the James K and Cynthia episode after Dr. Now told her that he knew she was sneaking in food to James while he was hospitalized. If this bitch had a moustache she'd be twirling the end of it.

• Love 7