Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: James K's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

James K. used pidgin English when describing Chinese food.  Such mocking behavior of a presumed accent is racist.  Please do not perpetuate his use of that language. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Awfarmington said:

Dr Now is pissed again. For a second, I thought he was about to pull out a club and start beating some sense into him. But I guess that's frowned upon. 

I just imagine Dr. Now high-tailing it back to his office with his face all puckered up. Closing and locking the door behind him and just muttering aggressively to himself in his native language (farsi - brilliant!) complete with gestures and eye rolls. 

Edited by Maggienolia
added specific language - Dr. Now is Iranian.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
Just now, Maggienolia said:

I just imagine Dr. Now high-tailing it back to his office with his face all puckered up. Closing and locking the door behind him and just muttering aggressively to himself in his native language complete with gestures and eye rolls. 

Oh, hell, I muttered to myself all day after watching this idiot, lol

• Love 3

I didn't watch the entire episode last night. But I did see the segment where Dr. Now ripped him and his mommy/gf/caregiver/enabler a new one. Which was refreshing. Then tonight on the repeat show, he bawled out big baby a second time...it's the first patient I've seen him pretty much lose it on (again, refreshing), so is he finally just sick of all his lying mclying patients?? It's hard to judge what's going on in his head. But there were so many reasons to hate this particular big baby, that it could be a culmination. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms. Bubba said:

I had missed the first 40 minutes last night and caught up tonight - it sounds like they were REALLY, REALLY stretching for the "trauma" that caused him to start eating. Alkie mom died, house burned down, had a losing streak on Xbox, favorite team lost the playoffs.... nothing like some of the others, who suffered horrible abuse as kids.

Well... having your house burn down literally during your long-lost and deeply missed mom's untimely funeral does seem pretty horrific. But this guy is still a total mess, the complete origins of which still seem mysterious. 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Lizz said:

Good point. I would think that would disqualify him, along with the infection in his legs. 

I came upon a BBC series called " Fat Doctor" recently - all available on YouTube.  Despite the strange and slightly offensive title,  it's a show that follows obese patients through bariatric treatment.  BTW - as fat as the English are becoming, we Americans still take the gold medal!  The very fattest patients on this show are the thinnest patients on " My 600 Ib Life"!  And - not to sound like an Anglophile because my background is Irish and therefore I am duty-bound to resent the English ( ? ) forever  - but every last patient on this show has behaved well -with maturity, politeness and insight into their personal responsibility!  Even the doctors have an approach that seems to be compassionate and dignifying at the same time. 

Anyway - I watched an episode the other night that featured a 32-year old obese man who had a weak heart. His obesity was not as extreme as the patents we are used to seeing; though they calculate weight using "stones" and "kilos" over there and I was always doing the math in my head.  I think he weighed about 500 lbs.  This man was the kindest, humblest, most self-effacing person!  He quoted from literature often, so he clearly spent his solitairy hours in profound thought and good books. All he wanted to do was go outside and feel the textures of the world again as he was largely housebound. If there was ever s person you rooted for, it was this lovely young man.

Spoiler alert:.  He died several days after the by-pass.  ?  So yes, James' heart condition would likely disqualify him or make his odds of post-op survival that much less.  

• Love 8

He said "Ow mah leg!" so much that I was starting to think that the editors at TLC took the original sound clip of James saying that the first time and just played it at random intervals throughout the show. 

Edited by vicegrip
originally reposted a comment
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Fraahdriceandgravy said:

Exactly! He was just greasy headed and unshaven the whole time.  He made me shudder many times.  

The whole house looked utterly filthy. I am sure that really helps in keeping his weeping blisters sanitary. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Maggienolia said:

I just imagine Dr. Now high-tailing it back to his office with his face all puckered up. Closing and locking the door behind him and just muttering aggressively to himself in his native language complete with gestures and eye rolls. 

According to his website, he is from Iran. I am not from there, nor do I know anyone from Iran. But it seems like the culture is much less coddling/PC than it is in the states. Maybe if that's the case, he's been bottling up all his frustration for decades and we are finally seeing the real Dr. Now coming through. 

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Well... having your house burn down literally during your long-lost and deeply missed mom's untimely funeral does seem pretty horrific. But this guy is still a total mess, the complete origins of which still seem mysterious. 

He mentioned briefly that when his dad remarried, there wasn't enough food for all the kids. So he had to eat as much as he could when it was available. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, vicegrip said:

He said "Ow mah leg!" so much that I was starting to think that the editors at TLC took the original sound clip of James saying that the first time and just played it at random intervals throughout the show. 

I am imagining a "dance" version: "ow mah...ow mah... ow mah leglegleg.." maybe with some scratching or auto tune. 

• Love 14
1 minute ago, Awfarmington said:

He mentioned briefly that when his dad remarried, there wasn't enough food for all the kids. So he had to eat as much as he could when it was available. 

Someone up thread observed that everyone has experienced trauma  so no excuses.  Well I won't quibble that life is hard generally, but there are degrees of trauma - and some people have more resources to deal with trauma.  Possibly even innate resources, which are impossible to quantify.  

But I would make the general case that absolutely we all have experienced trauma - hence the state of the world!  As a collective, humanity swims in a toxic soup.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I am imagining a "dance" version: "ow mah...ow mah... ow mah leglegleg.." maybe with some scratching or auto tune. 

Earlier today, I wrote a country western tune Ow, my leg back a few pages.    I think its compatible with his Elmer Fudd sounding voice.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Awfarmington said:

That reminds me of the Friends episode where Ross screamed:  "I grew up with Monica!  If you didn't eat fast, you didn't eat at all!"

But seriously, I don't buy that there wasn't enough food.  He clearly gained weight during that period.  If he could overeat to that extreme and the other seven human beings not starve to death, then there was enough food.  He probably just didn't like that he couldn't have extra portions, because by then he was clearly used to getting them.  

• Love 13

I agree! I don't know if anyone can say without doubt why some people come out of trauma relatively unscathed and others come out with baggage. And compared to many of the other people Dr. Now has treated, this big baby has had a pretty easy childhood! 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, kgg said:

But seriously, I don't buy that there wasn't enough food.  He clearly gained weight during that period.  If he could overeat to that extreme and the other seven human beings not starve to death, then there was enough food.  He probably just didn't like that he couldn't have extra portions, because by then he was clearly used to getting them.  

We were a family of 7 living on a steelworker's salary - not any extras, that's for sure.  My mother made enough for everyone to have one serving.  IF there was anything left over (a rare occurrence), the breadwinner got it.  And I'm pudgy, but nowhere near renting a van to get to Houston.  And trust me - I had more trauma in my childhood than James ever talked about.  I'm not too patient with those who blame poor childhoods for overeating, hoarding, etc.  I looked around and saw people who lived the type of life I dreamed of, and emulated them.  Always look forward; never look back.

• Love 20

"Don't worry about Daddy eating so much."  It's all part of my master plan for his demise . . .

Sigh.

I am proposing a new drinking game while we watch these episodes:  one drink for every time we hear the words "I" or "me."  :)

Are there any seats still available in the party stretch limo to H*ll?

• Love 4

I got the impression that he was "afraid' there wouldn't be enough food to go around (when dad remarried and there were suddenly all these extra mouths to feed) and so ate at every opportunity as a kid. Like his weight loss and great progress, it was all in his head, a false perception. 

Edited by Maggienolia
clarity
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Ms. Bubba said:

And I counted TWO different Macs. A silver one and a red one.

Apple doesn't make a red MacBook. 

James' story reminds me very much of that Haitian lady (whose name I forget) who had TWO TLC specials. They sent special diet food to her house and she continued to gain weight because she'd pay someone to smuggle in food. She verbally abused her two kids - all from the confines of her own bed -- even though they washed her and catered to her every whim. She was as odious as James. She ate herself to death. James will do the same.

8 minutes ago, LookABird said:

I am proposing a new drinking game while we watch these episodes:  one drink for every time we hear the words "I" or "me."  :)

In James case it would result in far less alcohol poisoning than taking a shot after every time he complains "ow! Mah legs"

I admit I need a pair of the burning pants too as I laughed quite a bit at the comments.  One of my fav up comments was the speculation that Baily must have gotten stuck in a fat fold thus her disappearing for a time and James suddenly gaining the massive amount of weight to be over 800+. 

• Love 1
On March 15, 2017 at 9:05 PM, jacksgirl said:

About 20 minutes behind all, I really dislike James, but like dad and Bayley.  This reminds me of "What's Eating Gilbert Grape." If James died in his house, would they burn it down? It looks pretty nasty inside.

It's gotta Stink when you walk into that living room - between him just shitting in bed and the oozing legs . The horror.

this big whiner took go fund me money, let his dad refinance , and has US paying his Medicaid thru our tax dollars ... And he GAINS 148 lbs.  I bet Bailey wishes it were over so she could go back to school and be set free from washing and feeding her shithead father. 

• Love 11

I had to make an account just to vent about this disgusting James K. This episode beat out Nicole and her juggaloo family and I didn't think that was possible. 

I'm no doctor but I think he hates women due to his mother and he's taking it out on Lisa and Bailey. And did anyone get the feeling that Lisa was trying to kill him with food. I kinda felt like she played dumb and subservient, but it was possible she gave him the food in hopes it would just end the nightmare. You can't really blame her if she thought that, even just a little bit, even if it was subconscious, I just can't imagine that she didn't understand that giving him a dozen eggs with sausage and gravy poured all over them that the outcome would be good. And how she would ask him if he was hungry without him bringing it up, then she goes out and brings the Chinese food back and they sit there shoving their faces like two junkies who just scored drugs sitting in a hotel room shooting up. 

Not sure if she was a partner in crime or a naive ride or die bitch, but she aggravated me almost as much as planet boy and his disgusting boil body. Ow..... my leg...... omg I never in my life felt such anger towards one of these fatties, like if he would have choked on a piece of food and croaked while the cameras were rolling, I would have felt nothing. 

Edited by Tiger Lily
  • Love 19
58 minutes ago, kgg said:

That reminds me of the Friends episode where Ross screamed:  "I grew up with Monica!  If you didn't eat fast, you didn't eat at all!"

When he was talking about his childhood he said " then my dad married my stepmom" , I was like oh no here it comes - a horrible stepmom who beat him and verbally abused him cuz he's chubby ..... No. There were extra kids , so less food . W h a t ??  Meanwhile in the progression of pictures he gets larger and larger . James is his own worst enemy . I don't feel sorry for him , only his daughter 

( ok yes it's sad his mother was an alcoholic and left but I heard no allegations of abuse etc - just less food ) 

Edited by DNR
Ninja edit
  • Love 4

Watching the "supersized" version on now... There was just a little pop up saying "James classifies himself as an 'Expert in the Female Persuasion.' He offered relationship advice to the EMTs during the trip to Texas."

OMG. What could he be telling them? 

"So, if you wanna keep your gals happy you gotta keep 'em busy fetching food, changing bed pads, and washing infections. The ladies just love being needed."

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

James probably left food  burning in the toaster oven and burned down the house while they were at the funeral 

• Love 12

It's not a matter of "if" he stinks, he does.  He has infection oozing out of his legs.  He has yeasty stuff growing in all those folds, and yells when someone tries to clean him.  Whatever kind of catheter he had in at one point, well, his pee is brown like poop, and I thought it might be some kind of fecal management system, because he's gotta have some pressure sores on that huge bottom, even with that fancy bed he has, 'cause he doen't move on his own, unless it's fork to plate.  Was disappointed the "supersized" version ended as abruptly as the original, which, by the way, we did not turn in till the end, because, sheesh, who wants to listen to all his freaking complaining, and watch that poor daughter if his?  (GET OUT...GO BACK TO KY AND LIVE WITH GRANDPA!!)  

• Love 5

Just now watched the episode.  OMG!  Penny, and any of the other hosebeasts are nothing compared to this guy!  If you can't even sit up to eat, WTF?!  His girlfriend has serious problems.  I think that subconsciously, she's trying to kill him.  Her life seems to be more miserable than his.  She must have no self esteem at all to think that she has to stay and cater to this monster.  I can't believe he made her sleep on the floor in case he has to go to the bathroom and what's even harder to believe, SHE DID IT!  OY!!!  Even Dr. Now told her, "Let him yell!"  He can't get up and chase you.  The way his legs are rotting away, he may never be able to chase you.  So LET HIM YELL!!!  I wouldn't bring him a single meal unless he begged me.  And then I might bring him a plate of lettuce and a bottle of water.  smdh

• Love 8

So, the yellow things on his legs were sores?  I thought maybe they were some kind of fungus.  

My 15-year-old son and I spent the entired episode yelling, "ma legs!"  Save us two seats on the bus to hell. 

3 minutes ago, swankie said:

So LET HIM YELL!!!  I wouldn't bring him a single meal unless he begged me.  And then I might bring him a plate of lettuce and a bottle of water.  smdh

What she needs is some sort of a gag keep him quiet.  

• Love 9

I hate wishing this upon anyone but this dude just needs to die off. He obviously doesn't give a shit about himself or others. He only cares when it's past the point of no return. His whining and crying when they moved him angered me for some reason. All these shows anger me. I'm obese and big and I have pains but god damn these people. How about not become human Jabba The Huts and you won't be in pain. All that crying and whining just pisses me off. It's like touching a hot stove and being told not to but you still do it. I don't feel sorry for his girlfriend as she can walk away anytime. Damnit, this one angered me.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, steff13 said:

"Now is really not the best time for me to leave my family."  Yeah, what are they going to do without him? 

They'd have to leave him. He ain't going nowhere if it's not in an ambulance.

• Love 3

So...can I add my bra too to that swimming pool or is that crossing a line?

Watching the supersized ep; someone said waaay upthread about the gf wearing a too short skirt at one point that I missed the first time...omg its true, while she'setting up the gofundme she's wearing a way short skirt and her crotch is blurred...was she seriously not wearing underwear while she was being FILMED?? I'm hoping she was actually wearing tan/beige undies (I know I've bought multicolor packs that included those) and the editing team blurred it bc it just looked hinky... :P

Also the Chinese food scene. That WHOLE scene is just SO cringy, Christ on a cow...not just the fried rice part (wtf???) but when she walks in with the bags and he just exclaims "Food!" *cries*

• Love 13
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Hana Chan said:

This poor woman... she's still being abused.

For her to prefer the giant baby to her ex husband, she must have been married to the equivalent to Charles Manson!  I can't imagine wanting to be with a man who is nothing more than an eating, shitting, whining pile of rotting meat.  Whatever personality she fell in love with is long gone!

• Love 10

What pissed me off about Lisa the enabling girlfriend was it was all "I" take care of James . It's hard on "me" All me me me I I I - nothing about the sacrifice their daughter is making being taken out of school for God sakes . So hearing that asshole Lisa just once say "Bailey and I care for him" or "Bailey is an incredible daughter" would have Been nice.   #setbaileyfree

Edited by DNR
Ninja edit
  • Love 14

James wasn't the least bit upset when Dr. Now finally fired him. James sat there with a smug look on his face because he knew he was off the hook and wasn't going to be hassled about his food addiction any longer. He could go back to shoveling in all the food he wanted in peace and being waited on 24/7 by his two slaves of the female persuasion.

He was as happy as an alcoholic who got kicked out of rehab and was sent home to the full-service liquor store.

• Love 20
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Apple doesn't make a red MacBook. 

James' story reminds me very much of that Haitian lady (whose name I forget) who had TWO TLC specials. They sent special diet food to her house and she continued to gain weight because she'd pay someone to smuggle in food. She verbally abused her two kids - all from the confines of her own bed -- even though they washed her and catered to her every whim. She was as odious as James. She ate herself to death. James will do the same.

James should be forced to sit down and watch all those early- to mid -2000's TLC specials on super obese people - because they are ALL dead now!  The Haitian woman; the Mexican guy; the 1/2-ton man; the 1/2-ton mom; that Hebrenko guy who lost all that weight with Richard Simmons and then gained it back.  ALL DEAD!!  James seems completely in denial that he is on death's door.

• Love 6

Dr Nows smack down of Lisa and James was spectacular !  Bailey had to be cheering inside 

Dr Nows comment that Janes may be past the point of no return is most likely true.

i need a seat on that bus to hell because I laughed out loud at the hospital staff dressed in gowns and masks when they moved him to the bariatric hospital bed.  Hell No! They don't want James' toxic ooze & poop all over them 

***** ow mah leg ! Don't drop me don't drop me!  Owwwwwww! I'm falling !  Owwww mah leg . Non stop screaming . When he blamed  the EMT's for tearing his skin transporting into the new apt, I thought yeah James it's their fault not you being 800 lbs . Giant King Baby 

Edited by DNR
Ninja edit
  • Love 10

I think this was the most depressing episode I've ever seen.  I had to cover my eyes or fast forward any time they even flashed those legs.  I'm not heartless and do feel sorry for him in some ways, but those legs were disgusting.  I was literally retching the first time I saw them.  Some of these people are so mean and nasty to their loved ones I'm not sure why they stick around.  Lots of co-dependence with these people.  Very sad.

• Love 5

I thought about this episode later on and I believe Dr. Now didn't want to operate on James, not only because he hadn't made any attempt to lose weight, but also because he knew he was seriously unhealthy and very likely might not even survive the surgery. I watched the Skin Tight episode following it tonight and the one man wasn't allowed to get the skin removal surgery due to a heart condition (which he did have surgery for), even though that man had lost over 250 lbs. If one of Dr. Now's patients ever died after surgery- and I'm sure it may have happened somewhere in the past- would the family try to sue him and hold him responsible for it?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, steff13 said:

"Now is really not the best time for me to leave my family."  Yeah, what are they going to do without him? 

I imagine it will be like the munchkins in the movie The Wiz when Dorothy finally killed the wicked witch.  They started shedding their captive skins and were able to see the sunshine for the first time and breathe fresh air.  I'm probably going to hell for this, but I seriously thought his father was puking because of the smell in the room.  Between his stinking poo pad and his diseased legs, ewwww!  I just made myself gag!

• Love 10
3 hours ago, DNR said:

And he GAINS 148 lbs.

My mouth is dry from hanging open ever since I saw this.  HOW.  ON.  EARTH.

I watched The Great Chinese Dinner Disaster again and the whole "gotta save me some room for dessert (fat guy snort because he's too fucking fat to properly breathe when he speaks)!"  The whole smug, self-satisfied, contented infant tone in his voice just makes me want to punch my fist into the nearest cinder block.

ETA: There needs to be a ringtone of "Aw!  Mah leg! (James K Remix version)" available immediately.

Edited by bethster2000
  • Love 15
33 minutes ago, mittsigirl said:

I'm so mad at these people!

I had to leave a comment

on their GoFundme page,

surprised only 1 other person

commented on it!

I think he has more than one go fund me, because the one I found had tons of comments on it. It also stated that "he has been on every diet there is and nothing is helping he drinks nothing but water and is very active for someone his size.."

i just laughed and laughed...

• Love 15