Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: James K's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

James K. used pidgin English when describing Chinese food.  Such mocking behavior of a presumed accent is racist.  Please do not perpetuate his use of that language. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Carrie said:

(Sorry about copying the quote above with no comment...  I meant to wonder whether he lost any weight during his month-long hospital stay in a KY hospital? For cripe's sake, this guy seems to have no qualms about expecting the world to accommodate, and pay for, his every need!  I think some one earlier nailed it:  in these kinds of extreme circumstances, the person would only benefit from being confined in a long term rehab and mental health facility- possibly even committed- so his freedom of choice ( to eat to his death) is restricted.

Actually as a newbie, I have a technical question:. How does one copy only a portion of someone else's post to which to respond?  I am on an iPhone - a rather old one to be honest.  Does that make a difference as to functions available?

He would need one of those Hannibal Lester getups to keep him from being fed surreptitiously. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Two words @Suzy123--Low. Standards. Fall to your knees and thank whatever gods you revere above the rest that you don't have a partner like one of these losers! (I'm sure you're lovely, by the way)

Thank you! lol! I have to remind myself that most of these people are "bottom of the barrel" types of people.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, spacefly said:

He has money for chewing tobacco? WTF

He has money for an iPhone too!  Do y'all who don't use Apple devices know how much an iPhone cost!

Edited by Kid
  • Love 5

like someone's mom once said, "For every pot, there's a lid."

Just now, Kid said:

He has money for an iPhone too!  Do y'all who don't use Apple devices know how much an iPhone class!

And I counted TWO different Macs. A silver one and a red one.

• Love 3

Forget diets and lists of proper foods. The people on this show need hard-core therapy just as is done on Intervention. These patients are horrific addicts and James is one of the absolute worst. It's never dawned on him that he's exactly like his mother when it comes to putting his drug above his family. He's doing exactly what she did, and in some ways it's worse because of the nightmare they have with this monster existing in their living room.

On another note, I always wish that a therapist - or someone - would get these patients interested in doing something other than eating. Even if you're bedbound you could type on a keyboard and maybe earn a little money with that, or volunteer your time for some cause that needs things typed up.

Or learn to sew, knit, crochet, or embroider, and make things either for sale or for donation. Keep your hands and your mind occupied. It'll take your mind at least somewhat off of nonstop gorging and give you at least some sense of purpose.

Just a thought.

Edited by okerry
  • Love 15

I dunno what else there is to say that someone else hasn't already touched on...but damn. He is completely insufferable and delusional. Throw another pair of drawers in that bathtub for me! Also, watching him wipe his mouth on a blanket while shoveling in cheesecake is really grossing me out. No napkins in their house?

• Love 9

Ok, clearly he doesn't care if he dies because food is more important than anything to him including life. I think his girlfriend is helping him shovel in as much as possible to help speed the process along. Dr. Now said he didn't have but a few months to live if he continued on the way he is. I wonder if he is on to her?

• Love 3

We are going to be a comet sized ball of fire headed to hell and we will probably scare the shit out of Satan! I doubt he has ever seen a huge ball of panties on fire before.

Edited by hoosiermom
  • Love 22

What the heck do they do all day? What about a board game?  Ever heard of a book?  How about listening to music?  Take an online course? Keep a blog of your experience? Do a crossword puzzle? Get an adult coloring book?  Knit! Of course he is gonna eat all day - they do nothing AT ALL but talk about food, and eat food.

I don't feel sorry for Lisa in the least because she is a professional martyr, which is her strategy for avoiding responsibility towards herself and her children. Time to get a grip and check yourself into the nearest ALANON program for co-dependents.  

Ugh!  This is painful!  Why are we doing this to ourselves again?  I keep flipping back to this from CNN's "The Messy Truth" and Rachel Maddow.  Like a lodestone, it draws me back. ?

• Love 10

That hideous yellow crud on his feet is most likely toenail fungus. And it would take horseshoer's hoof nippers to cut through those toenails. They're so overgrown, and so thickened and toughened by the fungus, that it would be almost impossible to cut them any other way. 

This guy is a nightmare of poor health in virtually every way. I'd like to know, too, how they "rushed" him to the hospital when he went into CHF.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, Fraahdriceandgravy said:

Why couldn't Lisa at least cut his toenails?! Or flake the yellow crustaceans off? I was baffled by the state of his lower extremities. What was the yellow crust on his feet? From the cellulitis? 

From an online search . . . could be almost any of these in James' case.

" . . . in most cases yellow toenails are an indication of a more serious problem such as a fungal infection (the most common cause), diabetes, yellow nail syndrome, or lymphedema (chronic leg swelling)."

• Love 1

I know that most of the significant others say that they want the 600lb + person to live, but I feel like most of them, deep down, would feel relieved if/when they die. To be free being of being a slave to this person and to be free of being verbally abused and berated day after day, has to look good to them. 

I felt a twinge of empathy for Lisa when she said that if James would ever walk again, she would consider leaving. But, she knows that he would probably stay in that bed until he dies in it. She looks worn down and just depressed. I know she is an enabler, but he seems to have beaten her down mentally and physically. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Fraahdriceandgravy said:

Why couldn't Lisa at least cut his toenails?! Or flake the yellow crustaceans off? I was baffled by the state of his lower extremities. What was the yellow crust on his feet? From the cellulitis? 

I thought same thing about his toenails. Sorry if this is TMI & don't mean to gross anyone out.  I commented on previous post that I have wounds on my lower legs that drain. (Not cellulitis). Mine are open lesions not the cauliflower looking bumps  I think the crust on his is dried drainage fluid & its  yellow.  For mine the crust forms around the edges like a scab.  When it dries it has to be cleaned off cuz there's new skin underneath. 

The pop ups said that James hasn't worked in 18 years cuz of weight.  He hasn't driven since 2011.

Lisa did speak with a dietitian in hospital & was given written guidelines on his diet. Also said she had hernias from moving & lifting him. 

I laughed at pop-up that said Dr Now advised James to BATHE DAILY & exercise hourly to prevent blood clots & infection.  Unbelievable that Dr Now has to tell an adult to do this. 

• Love 5
Just now, AZChristian said:

From an online search . . . could be almost any of these in James' case.

" . . . in most cases yellow toenails are an indication of a more serious problem such as a fungal infection (the most common cause), diabetes, yellow nail syndrome, or lymphedema (chronic leg swelling)."

Even if was laying in bed for 3 years..it seems they could at least keep his feet in better shape? I can't imagine what his legs would look like even if he ever actually lost a significant amount of weight..

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Suzy123 said:

I know that most of the significant others say that they want the 600lb + person to live, but I feel like most of them, deep down, would feel relieved if/when they die. To be free being of being a slave to this person and to be free of being verbally abused and berated day after day, has to look good to them. 

I felt a twinge of empathy for Lisa when she said that if James would ever walk again, she would consider leaving. But, she knows that he would probably stay in that bed until he dies in it. She looks worn down and just depressed. I know she is an enabler, but he seems to have beaten her down mentally and physically. 

If I met her and spoke to her in person, I would probably agree with you.  But I am so angry at her right now. She is just so self-destructive!  Aargh.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Barb23 said:

I thought same thing about his toenails. Sorry if this is TMI & don't mean to gross anyone out.  I commented on previous post that I have wounds on my lower legs that drain. (Not cellulitis). Mine are open lesions not the cauliflower looking bumps  I think the crust on his is dried drainage fluid & its  yellow.  For mine the crust forms around the edges like a scab.  When it dries it has to be cleaned off cuz there's new skin underneath. 

The pop ups said that James hasn't worked in 18 years cuz of weight.  He hasn't driven since 2011.

Lisa did speak with a dietitian in hospital & was given written guidelines on his diet. Also said she had hernias from moving & lifting him. 

I laughed at pop-up that said Dr Now advised James to BATHE DAILY & exercise hourly to prevent blood clots & infection.  Unbelievable that Dr Now has to tell an adult to do this. 

Exactly! He was just greasy headed and unshaven the whole time.  He made me shudder many times.  

• Love 2

Hamburgers, hot dogs and bologna?  I eat all of that.........once in a while.  Thin crust pizza, portion control?  Maybe they mistook the diet to be a list of things to eat, not avoid.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Carrie said:

What the heck do they do all day? What about a board game?  Ever heard of a book?  How about listening to music?  Take an online course? Keep a blog of your experience? Do a crossword puzzle? Get an adult coloring book?  Knit! Of course he is gonna eat all day - they do nothing AT ALL but talk about food, and eat food.

I don't feel sorry for Lisa in the least because she is a professional martyr, which is her strategy for avoiding responsibility towards herself and her children. Time to get a grip and check yourself into the nearest ALANON program for co-dependents.  

Ugh!  This is painful!  Why are we doing this to ourselves again?  I keep flipping back to this from CNN's "The Messy Truth" and Rachel Maddow.  Like a lodestone, it draws me back. ?

Well in addition to the iPhones and laptops these poor people have a Xbox One S AND a PS4.  You can see them sitting on the dresser when the doctor visits.  I'm sure he only plays 'cheap' games though. I mean he wouldn't have the cash for $60 triple A games after buying $1000 in equipment.  I wonder when he gets his occulas.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Carrie said:

If I met her and spoke to her in person, I would probably agree with you.  But I am so angry at her right now. She is just so self-destructive!  Aargh.

I totally agree with you. It's hard to sympathize with her when she is the one that giving him all of this food and making excuses for him. But, she's being with him for 20+ years and it's probably ingrained in her now. 

Edited by Suzy123
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Awfarmington said:

Dr Now is pissed again. For a second, I thought he was about to pull out a club and start beating some sense into him. But I guess that's frowned upon. 

You're hilarious!  Ha! 

• Love 2

Watching this now, catching up on the parts I missed. At the 843 pound "surprise!" weigh in point, after Dr. Now's visit to their apartment and he told them flat out it didn't looked like he had lost any weight. Then they just lied their asses off to the Dr.'s face; makes my head hurt.

*****Note to self, due to overwhelming new requests, bathtub is now overflowing with drawers, must find larger vessel; much, much larger*****

• Love 12

Does anyone else get really hungry while watching this show, get food ready, but then is too grossed out to eat it? This happens to me way too often and then I have to remind myself to NEVER eat during this show.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

*****Note to self, due to overwhelming new requests, bathtub is now overflowing with drawers, must find larger vessel; much, much larger*****

Swimming pool?

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Awfarmington said:

Dr Now is pissed again. For a second, I thought he was about to pull out a club and start beating some sense into him. But I guess that's frowned upon. 

Ya think???   LOL!!!!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, MsVixen said:

Would he still be eligible for surgery since he has CHF?  Wouldn't the surgery be too dangerous for him?

Good point. I would think that would disqualify him, along with the infection in his legs. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, MsVixen said:

Would he still be eligible for surgery since he has CHF?  Wouldn't the surgery be too dangerous for him?

We'll never know because I'm betting he'll never get under the 600-lb mark to have the surgery. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, operalover said:

Lol at "ONLY 9,280"

It would be interesting to interview some of the YouTubers that have done the 10K challenge (where they eat 10K calories in a day or as short a period of time as possible) and see what they think about if they ate that many calories EVERY DAY. I can't imagine. 

• Love 2

Dh caught me watching and said that James would be dead pretty soon at the rate he was going.  Sad to say, he's probably right.

You have to wonder how big his stomach actually is to consume that much food.  Because even eating fast food, 9,000+ calories is still a lot of food.

Edited by MrsClaus
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

****Note to self, due to overwhelming new requests, bathtub is now overflowing with drawers, must find larger vessel; much, much larger*****

Maybe you could use James' gravy bowl.  (Make my bloomers pink with lace.  Might as well look good when I go.)  :)

• Love 10

I haven't finished the episode yet, but something about his girlfriend's behavior disturbs me. She just keeps asking "Is it good?" "Do you want more?" in a robotic way with this look of resignation on her face. I noticed she cut his steak up in little bite-sized pieces. I remember when my mom would do that for me- when I was like, 5.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, AVM said:

Funny you said that years ago before bypass surgery ,doctors  would wire the jaws shut  of obese patients   all food thru a straw  ...It worked

Pretty sure he'd find a way to stuff cheesecake through even with the jaw wired shut. But maybe it would cut back on the whining? 

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Fraahdriceandgravy said:

I recently gained some weight and was feeling not so slim yesterday.  Watching this last night has made me feel way "looser" now.  

Um, so I just noticed your awesome screen name Fraahdriceandgravy. What a "coincidence" given the patient featured on tonight's show. So, I have to ask, Bayley is it you?

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Maggienolia said:

I saw that too. Nearly choked on my tea. Yeah. I can see where he would be a total lady killer. Uh-huh. Irresistible. Mmmmhmmmm. Yup. Gonna go throw up now. Why do I watch this crap??? Why??? 

I only watched today and some of those pop ups had me howling.  Yes James all us ladies are looking to wipe a fat man's ass!

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Um, so I just noticed your awesome screen name Fraahdriceandgravy. What a "coincidence" given the patient featured on tonight's show. So, I have to ask, Bayley is it you?

No..? Bless her..she is probably hiding from any form of social media after this debacle. I was compelled to find like minded people who watched the JamesK train wreck special. We watched it last night. I tried to convince my husband to watch it again tonight so I could see the pop ups. ? He wasn't having it.  The pop ups remind me of VH1 Pop up videos...anyone remember that?? 

• Love 16