Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Big Girl Dance Battle

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, mamadrama said:

Question: Why is that scene not for children's eyes?

I took it to mean that Sally Fields' - the mom (I forgot her name in the movie) , thought the dance moves Elvis was doing on the little tv was something that only "adults" should do/look at. And then she attempts to pull little forrest away, after she says "not for children's eyes". And I'm sure during that era many parents thought the same thing. However, the dance and hence rock-and-roll caught on like wildfire.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, sATL said:

I took it to mean that Sally Fields' - the mom (I forgot her name in the movie) , thought the dance moves Elvis was doing on the little tv was something that only "adults" should do/look at. And then she attempts to pull little forrest away, after she says "not for children's eyes". And I'm sure during that era many parents thought the same thing. However, the dance and hence rock-and-roll caught on like wildfire.

Ah, I got it! I thought you were telling US it wasn't suitable for our children's eyes. :-) Yes, my mom remembers when the twist and other moves were quite scandalous. 

I don't think of twerking as a dance, but as a dance move. And I think it's boring. Wagging your hoo ha back and forth repetitively is not my idea of a good time. At least not on the dance floor. 

Anyone else seen "Can't Buy Me Love"? Love the scene where the guy learns to dance from the National Geographic channel, thinking that it's American Bandstand. He gets the whole school doing the African Anteater Ritual because he's popular and they do whatever the pop kids do. One of my favorite scenes. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Ah, I got it! I thought you were telling US it wasn't suitable for our children's eyes. :-) Yes, my mom remembers when the twist and other moves were quite scandalous. 

I don't think of twerking as a dance, but as a dance move. And I think it's boring. Wagging your hoo ha back and forth repetitively is not my idea of a good time. At least not on the dance floor. 

Anyone else seen "Can't Buy Me Love"? Love the scene where the guy learns to dance from the National Geographic channel, thinking that it's American Bandstand. He gets the whole school doing the African Anteater Ritual because he's popular and they do whatever the pop kids do. One of my favorite scenes. 

Yes. exactly. many dance and/or dance moves start out as "scandalous". Let a few $$ get earned, along with a couple of Grammys and other music awards, and there you go. The latest craze until the next move comes along.

I will fix the link, so it's a little clearer.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, sATL said:

Yes. exactly. many dance and/or dance moves start out as "scandalous". Let a few $$ get earned, along with a couple of Grammys and other music awards, and there you go. The latest craze until the next move comes along.

Twerking isn't scandalous, IMO.  In our society practically nothing is anymore.  It was just an attempt to get attention for doing something provocative.  And that's Whitney's wheelhouse.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Ketzel said:

Whitney is 5'2" tall and so far this season she claims that she weighs  @360 lbs. If she lost 100 lbs, she'd still be morbidly obese.

Omg  am 5'2 and weigh 138 lbs.  I just lost 13 lbs because I felt fat and uncomfortable.  I can't imagine carrying that amount of weight on my body.  I felt miserable weighing 154 lbs. She has to feel horrible carrying that much weight.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Question: Why is that scene not for children's eyes?

Because of the hip swiveling. On Elvis' first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, the camera never went below his waist.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sATL said:

Being from that era -- teenager in the '50s -- I can verify what you say. Not just the dance, but the music itself. R&B and Rock 'n' Roll was "n****r music," esp. if you lived in a Southern state as I did.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Twerking isn't scandalous, IMO.  In our society practically nothing is anymore.  It was just an attempt to get attention for doing something provocative.  And that's Whitney's wheelhouse.

Yes, for example, pedophile Michael Jackson massaging his genitals while dancing.

• Love 2

BELIEVE me, I am no prude but the last time I saw anyone "twerking" was my boyfriend and he was not dancing if you catch my drift so I could see how the public display could be found offensive.

It doesn't personally bother me but I could see why someone could find twerking rather vulgar in a way that other scandalous dance moves in the past were believed to be back in the day but not really.

Again, not offended but I've been grossed out a few too many times by people practically dry humping in bars so I can totally see how twerking might be a bit too much for some people.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, sATL said:

I was young tween when SNF came out and parents made "discoes"  sounds like a place to go get "some" (trying to be polite here, as I don't know what we can or cannot say on this site ). By the time I was legal, the same dance hole spots were renamed to "clubs" and yes, sad to say, I left quite a few times -empty handed. Walk into a dance-club place now (if they still exist) doing SNF moves, you probably will get thrown out, not for hip/pelvic thrusting, but for taking up too much floor space.

As long as you aren't using racist or homophobic language, you're pretty much in the clear.  The "c" word is also banned. :)

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:33 PM, Pachengala said:

Whitney, upon discovering Todd's replacement dances well (which really is something she as the teacher should already know): 'I never thought I'd be happy that Todd got hurt!' 

And after someone handed him a bag of ice, he was just left.  Couldn't believe how cavalierly she treated him.  Bitch.

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:17 PM, AmyB said:

So she cries foul with Jiya bringing in the little miss fits (which are part of her dance studio - the win competitions), but she can bring in Cameron who is not even part of the BGDC at all. Yeah hypocrite much?

Also, hiring a professional choreographer seemed questionable to me.
I thought those Miss Fits were really cute, and loved their "how low can we go, to the floo."

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:33 PM, Maggienolia said:

Oh Twit... Jiya isn't gonna look at you and be scared. No... bless your delusional little heart. 

I don't know, I'd run if I saw her in an alley.  Looks like she's in some satanic cult.  Was that what she was going for?

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, Barb23 said:

I loved her reaction when she found out Roy wasn't coming to the battle & then them saying she was upset about it because she was going to perform for him.  

Yep Whit, you're one gig the station has going on, but he's covering something else.  Nothing personal.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, auntjess said:

And after someone handed him a bag of ice, he was just left.  Couldn't believe how cavalierly she treated him.  Bitch.

You're right. We heard Todd say he couldn't put any weight on his leg. That's not time for ice, that's time for medical attention. Anyone with experience in any physical activity like, oh say, dance, would know that. 

[yes, I realize it was probably all fake, but I'm just going on what they chose to show us]

Even worse was the way Whitney barked at someone off-camera to "get the ice NOW!"  

Between that and the way she barked at the producer when she did the ski-splits (still one of the funniest things I've seen on reality tv) I wouldn't be surprised if the entire crew despises her at this point. 

• Love 9
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:41 PM, Dot said:

Well, that's one I won't be watching! Actually, given TLC's other programming, I think Jiya is about 200# too "light." For example, there's this new TLC program with a woman who calls herself Pooh & drives around given out advice to people who have supposedly contacted her. She's about Twit's size. (Terrible show, BTW. I watched for maybe 10 minutes.)

Thanks.  I've only seen the promos, and was wondering if I needed to watch a bit.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Between that and the way she barked at the producer when she did the ski-splits (still one of the funniest things I've seen on reality tv) I wouldn't be surprised if the entire crew despises her at this point. 

God I feel so terrible but I cracked up at that too. I just Google searched it and of course TLC has the video clip on their site:

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-big-fat-fabulous-life/videos/whitney-goes-skiing

They really do hate her, fabulous my ass.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, John M said:

God I feel so terrible but I cracked up at that too. I just Google searched it and of course TLC has the video clip on their site:

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-big-fat-fabulous-life/videos/whitney-goes-skiing

They really do hate her, fabulous my ass.

Oh, thank you, John M., for adding this video to the archive here. (I tried once to find it on UTube & was unsuccessful.) Like you & Alapaki, it's always been my favorite moment in MBFFL, probably because it's the only moment that isn't scripted. And I do agree the MBFFL crew hates her.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Dot said:

the only moment that isn't scripted. 

Not only not scripted but it makes Whit look really bad and you finally see the facade crack and that she realizes what she has done and is doing to herself and that it is not fabulous.

• Love 4

Twit posted this photo, ca. 2008, of her, Heather & Amanda. So I guess Amanda really is someone from Twit's past. And I think she may have had some weight issues of her own; her face seems kinda chubby in this photo.IMG_20170317_130129.jpg.79692268be1cb3420c09ae74c6447f46.jpg

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Dot said:

Because of the hip swiveling. On Elvis' first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, the camera never went below his waist.

Yes, I realize that. As I said in my previous post, I thought SATL was saying that it wasn't for OUR eyes if we had children sitting with us at the computer. I thought the posted clip was maybe a NSFW spoof on the scene in the movie or something. My confusion wasn't regarding Elvis, I am a bit of an Elvis historian myself, it was regarding the wording of the post. 

• Love 1

Finally got around to watching this episode. 

I can't say that I was impressed with either group in this 'dance battle.'  BGDC didn't seem to have enough variety in their to differentiate one round from another.  They all looked the same.  And of course, Whit cries foul on the kids.  Jiya could have just as easily cried foul over the drumsticks, but she didn't.  At least, not that we saw.  She seemed almost complimentary towards their prop idea.  

Those judges had expressions of, "Why am I here?  Kill me now."

Didn't really understand Babs' comment about being a trophy wife.  It just felt like the editors had to shoehorn at least one talking head with her, and that's what they chose.

So, the preview for the next episode is that for the CrossFit competition that Will wants Whitney and Buddy to do, he drops the bomb on them that they have to run, and they're not happy.

Ok, some potential spoilers.  I looked up the Barbells for Boobs competition, and if I'm right, this whole plot point is BS.  Spoilers abound. 

Spoiler

So, the most recent one I found was back in this past October at College Hill CrossFit in Greensboro.  

Yes, there is running involved.  Not only do the workouts involve running, they're 400m runs with a medicine ball.

This event has a Facebook page.   They have pictures from the event and scoresheets there.  Not only that, they posted pictures of the teams as they signed up for the competition.  

There is no way that Buddy and Whitney did this competition.  There was no individual category.  This was strictly a partner competition, and there was no co-ed category.  It was Male/Male RX and Scaled, and Female/Female RX and Scaled.  

Checked the professional pictures for the event, and there was not one of them there.  Professional pictures from an event like this, they try to get at least one or two of each competitor.  Not one. Of either of them.

• Love 7

Another thing I just remembered. 

When Roy announced he wouldn't be at the dance battle, Whitney was apparently so surprised that she let the truth slip and said "but this whole thing was YOUR idea"

Every other week, and possibly even earlier this week, it was "JIYA challenged me to a dance-off"

The way Whitney reacted that makes me think they're keeping Whitney out of the loop on the radio station storyline just to screw with her

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Yajmele said:

I can't say that I was impressed with either group in this 'dance battle.'  BGDC didn't seem to have enough variety in their to differentiate one round from another.  They all looked the same.  And of course, Whit cries foul on the kids.  Jiya could have just as easily cried foul over the drumsticks, but she didn't.  At least, not that we saw.  She seemed almost complimentary towards their prop idea.  

Didn't really understand Babs' comment about being a trophy wife.  It just felt like the editors had to shoehorn at least one talking head with her, and that's what they chose.

So, the preview for the next episode is that for the CrossFit competition that Will wants Whitney and Buddy to do, he drops the bomb on them that they have to run, and they're not happy.

Ok, some potential spoilers.  I looked up the Barbells for Boobs competition, and if I'm right, this whole plot point is BS.  Spoilers abound. 

Reveal hidden contents

So, the most recent one I found was back in this past October at College Hill CrossFit in Greensboro.  

Yes, there is running involved.  Not only do the workouts involve running, they're 400m runs with a medicine ball.

This event has a Facebook page.   They have pictures from the event and scoresheets there.  Not only that, they posted pictures of the teams as they signed up for the competition.  

There is no way that Buddy and Whitney did this competition.  There was no individual category.  This was strictly a partner competition, and there was no co-ed category.  It was Male/Male RX and Scaled, and Female/Female RX and Scaled.  

Checked the professional pictures for the event, and there was not one of them there.  Professional pictures from an event like this, they try to get at least one or two of each competitor.  Not one. Of either of them.

I agree that the comment was totally out of context, but I have been wondering for quite a while about Glenn & Babs' marriage, as in is it the first for either? They are both 70+ in age. Twit is 32 & I understand her brother to be a couple of years older. That means Babs was about 35 before she began giving birth to children. That's pretty old for people of her generation -- also mine -- to be starting a family. In those days it was far more common for couples to start famiies while in their twenties. So maybe Babs is Glenn's 2nd wife, which might make her trophy wife comment true.

BTW, thanks for the extensive info on the competition Twit & Buddy supposedly entered.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Alapaki said:

Another thing I just remembered. 

When Roy announced he wouldn't be at the dance battle, Whitney was apparently so surprised that she let the truth slip and said "but this whole thing was YOUR idea"

Every other week, and possibly even earlier this week, it was "JIYA challenged me to a dance-off"

The way Whitney reacted that makes me think they're keeping Whitney out of the loop on the radio station storyline just to screw with her

But it was his idea. He said it on the show.  It was never Jiya's idea. She might have meant that went to Jiya's studio to try to call it off but she wouldn't do it.

Btw again at the radio station looking like a greasy mess.  They should ask her every time she comes if she took one that morning. Make it a running bit. 

• Love 4
On 3/15/2017 at 9:50 PM, ClareWalks said:

To be fair, Jenzi let Whitney repeatedly call him "she/her/etc," which is strange if Jenzi feels 100% male. Although maybe he just wanted Whitney to look even stupider, LOL.

I think that if Whit used the wrong pronoun when she first met Jenzi, it would have been corrected before filming continued.  I'm letting Whitney off the hook for that  one. Not her fault.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Yajmele said:

Hide contents

I did some digging on this one as well cuz I called bs when the showed them at the crossfit event. The college hill event was the same day as Will's open house for his gym so i knew there was no way it was that event. And same with the pictures for the College Hill event i didn't see any either. Apparently there were other Barbells for Boobs events in Greensboro and going off of the shirt Will had on in the preview I think it is CrossFit Versatile event on October 15, 2016. Interestedly that's the same weekend that Jenzi was also there to "help" with dance. Twit made a comment after the first class with Jenzi about a workout with Will so i wonder if she was referring to this.

Also gotta love the continuity on the show so out of order.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bubbles1967 said:

I think that if Whit used the wrong pronoun when she first met Jenzi, it would have been corrected before filming continued.  I'm letting Whitney off the hook for that  one. Not her fault.

I don't remember Whit ever using a gender pronoun in the presence of Jenzi, just in the talking head shots.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, John M said:

I don't remember Whit ever using a gender pronoun in the presence of Jenzi, just in the talking head shots.

She does when she introduced Jenzi to the class and discussed why Jenzi was there. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, AmyB said:

I did some digging on this one as well cuz I called bs when the showed them at the crossfit event. The college hill event was the same day as Will's open house for his gym so i knew there was no way it was that event. And same with the pictures for the College Hill event i didn't see any either. Apparently there were other Barbells for Boobs events in Greensboro and going off of the shirt Will had on in the preview I think it is CrossFit Versatile event on October 15, 2016. Interestedly that's the same weekend that Jenzi was also there to "help" with dance. Twit made a comment after the first class with Jenzi about a workout with Will so i wonder if she was referring to this.

Spoiler tagging, just in case. 

Spoiler

I thought about this being out of CrossFit Versatile as well, because I see on Facebook where they had a date for a 2016 event, but no results or pictures for it.  The only pictures and posts are about the 2015 event there. The 2016 event in Greensboro looks to have been out of College Hill, for what I could find.

Will pushing for Whit and Buddy to do an event out of Versatile would also make sense, because there is a picture of Will on their page.  I would guess he trains out of there, and it looks like he won the CrossFit Games Masters 55-59 Division in 2016.  Amazing he's had time to put up with Whitney's shit.  

• Love 1

I finally went to Wikipedia to read about CrossFit since I couldn't follow much of the conversation in this forum about it. I am now more than ever convinced that Twit & any other woman her size should NOT be working out at Will's gym. The risk of injury is far too great, in addition to my earlier comments that she is not in good enough shape to benefit from exercising with a trainer. She should buy a stationary bike & ride it religiously until she's down about 200# before going back to Will.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Dot said:

I finally went to Wikipedia to read about CrossFit since I couldn't follow much of the conversation in this forum about it. I am now more than ever convinced that Twit & any other woman her size should NOT be working out at Will's gym. The risk of injury is far too great, in addition to my earlier comments that she is not in good enough shape to benefit from exercising with a trainer. She should buy a stationary bike & ride it religiously until she's down about 200# before going back to Will.

Scaled appropriately to the individual's ability level (and that is a HUGE necessity), there is nothing wrong with ANYONE doing CrossFit.  I say this as someone starting the activity close to 300 lbs.

Competing is a different story though. You are working to the set standards there, and there is no flex there. I think Will pushing them to do a competition above their ability level is probably not the best of ideas. If running 400m is a huge struggle, then entering them into a competition that requires it is a pretty bad idea. As bad as it would be for me to enter a division that would require handstand push-ups, as I can't do them. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Yajmele said:

Scaled appropriately to the individual's ability level (and that is a HUGE necessity), there is nothing wrong with ANYONE doing CrossFit.  I say this as someone starting the activity close to 300 lbs.

Competing is a different story though. You are working to the set standards there, and there is no flex there. I think Will pushing them to do a competition above their ability level is probably not the best of ideas. If running 400m is a huge struggle, then entering them into a competition that requires it is a pretty bad idea. As bad as it would be for me to enter a division that would require handstand push-ups, as I can't do them. 

As a former coach, someone Whitney's size should not be running.  I've seen big people seriously injured and sidelined especially from short distance sprints. It only takes 400 meters for a foot injury to occur and some of these injuries take months to overcome.

• Love 4

As a former coach, someone Whitney's size should not be running.  I've seen big people seriously injured and sidelined especially from short distance sprints. It only takes 400 meters for a foot injury to occur and some of these injuries take months to overcome.

100% agreed. 3 laps around my gym's parking lot is our 400m path, and one lap of that used to kill me.  For a while, I scaled to a rower for anything running, then I'd scale to either one lap for anything that called for a 400m run, then eventually two.  I've broken through where the running is completely insufferable. 

There is no way that as untrained as Buddy and Whit are, that they would be able to be even slightly competitive in a running event.  Plus, as you said, it would be a major risk for injury at her size.  I was at 382 lbs at my heaviest, and even walking for a long period of time used to give me horrible shin splints, and I'm a good 9 inches taller.  I'm no speed demon at a considerably less weight, but it is much easier. 

Edited by Yajmele
  • Love 1

I'm on record thinking Whitney is an unpleasant dick, but I'm going to give her all the props for this. I thought it was going to be your typical 'only comments praising me please' type of video, but I was happily surprised to see it was a screed against the harassment her fans can mete out against her presumed 'haters.' I especially appreciate that she specifically called out critiques of Jiya's crew that had racist undertones. On a less intense note, I also like that she defended twerking. I see a lot of 'that's not dance!' and I keep wondering, why not? What makes it *not* dance? 

Anyway, I don't like to be in the position of defending Whit, but I'm going to give her this one. 

https://instagram.com/p/BRrbMMmhyUB/

Edited by Pachengala
Ha ha after all that blathering, I didn't even include the link to which I was referring.
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

I'm on record thinking Whitney is an unpleasant dick, but I'm going to give her all the props for this. I thought it was going to be your typical 'only comments praising me please' type of video, but I was happily surprised to see it was a screed against the harassment her fans can mete out against her presumed 'haters.' I especially appreciate that she specifically called out critiques of Jiya's crew that had racist undertones. On a less intense note, I also like that she defended twerking. I see a lot of 'that's not dance!' and I keep wondering, why not? What makes it *not* dance? 

Anyway, I don't like to be in the position of defending Whit, but I'm going to give her this one. 

https://instagram.com/p/BRrbMMmhyUB/

Well, I have a BIG problem about her reading SM comments & making a video about them WHILE DRIVING.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Dot said:

Well, I have a BIG problem about her reading SM comments & making a video about them WHILE DRIVING.

Yeah, that is becoming a really unfortunate trend right now and it pisses me off very much. I unfriended a guy who posted a 5-minute video selfie talking about positivity and change WHILE DRIVING 80 MPH ON THE HIGHWAY. I asked why he would do that and he was so defensive about it, too.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Dot said:

But she's SO BUSY, and she has NO TIME for anything else, so she uses the ONLY time she has for making videos.  I mean, come on.  She has cat boxes to clean out, showers to take.  Oh.  Never mind.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Tosia said:

I'm kinda cynical, so I wonder if Twit is avoiding liability if some nutty fan were to threaten or attempt to harrass/hurt Jiya or others.  

Or she was spoken to by someone at TLC, especially if they're planning a spin-off

• Love 3

I just watched the episode on YouTube. I didn't seem to think that TW were as energetic as I expected. I thought they would double time twerk the entire time but I didn't see that they even did that. Whitneys grouo did just fine in comparison.

I did see that Whitney per usual manages to stand and watch "Her" class and "Her" choreography. In reality, she's getting out of doing the work the entire time. So on the day of before the contest when she actually does the run thru with Jenzi watching, she's dying and soaking wet with sweat because she's not used to do the routines all the way through like everyone else. She did that a lot and looking back to folk festival, st Patrick's parade, she always is "Supervising". But we really know what she's doing.

since I have missed the last few weeks I also looked up her riding a horse? I'm overweight and I would feel bad for the horse trying to haul me around. She didn't seem to be worried about such things.

I also revisited the ski scene and all it did was remind me of her hot tub scene. Looking at season one, I think Buddy has put on about 60 lbs maybe more.

Maybe we are too hard in Todd, he's the only one in interviews that actually will say Whitney has to be the star at all times and no one is to ever doubt it. He also called her out in dressing in drag when fake ex boyfriend Lennie brought a fake date around. She knows what the script is why doesn't she try s little harder?

Edited by Stephanie1216
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Stephanie1216 said:

I did see that Whitney per usual manages to stand and watch "Her" class and "Her" choreography. In reality, she's getting out of doing the work the entire time. So on the day of before the contest when she actually does the run thru with Jenzi watching, she's dying and soaking wet with sweat because she's not used to do the routines all the way through like everyone else. She did that a lot and looking back to folk festival, st Patrick's parade, she always is "Supervising". But we really know what she's doing.

I was thinking the same thing while I was watching it.  This was the longest that we've ever seen Whitney have to dance in front of other people without having any say as to when to stop.  And that's why she was so damned nervous about it.  Because deep down she realizes that she's a fraud.

• Love 9
On 3/17/2017 at 8:24 AM, mamadrama said:

I am not ashamed to admit that I occasionally bust out moves from the African Anteater Ritual on the dance floor. 

• Love 2