Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Big Girl Dance Battle

• Start Topic

Holy ballfuck, you guys. Whitney's narcissism reached new heights in this episode. Did you notice how all about herself she was? She became almost sociopathic re: Todd's injury. It was ALL ABOUT HER and how this would affect their stupid-ass, made-up dance battle that doesn't matter. Her desire to shock and titillate her parents by making up a lesbian date is so bizarre to me, mostly because I think Whit might actually believe her own lies that it was in fact a date. Same with the Roy storyline, which Roy seems totally over at this point. Others have speculated that Roy is being passive-aggressive because if he was overtly aggressive, the fans would hate him more. I disagree. I think if Roy were overtly aggressive, TLC wouldn't air it, because it doesn't fit their storyline. Roy is basically giving those of us who hate this show a sly wink that is going over the heads of Whitney's idiot fans.

Count me in among those who were not impressed with this Cameron chick. I have never taken dance but I could turn better than that.

• Love 12
29 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Holy ballfuck, you guys. Whitney's narcissism reached new heights in this episode. Did you notice how all about herself she was? She became almost sociopathic re: Todd's injury. It was ALL ABOUT HER and how this would affect their stupid-ass, made-up dance battle that doesn't matter. Her desire to shock and titillate her parents by making up a lesbian date is so bizarre to me, mostly because I think Whit might actually believe her own lies that it was in fact a date. Same with the Roy storyline, which Roy seems totally over at this point. Others have speculated that Roy is being passive-aggressive because if he was overtly aggressive, the fans would hate him more. I disagree. I think if Roy were overtly aggressive, TLC wouldn't air it, because it doesn't fit their storyline. Roy is basically giving those of us who hate this show a sly wink that is going over the heads of Whitney's idiot fans.

Count me in among those who were not impressed with this Cameron chick. I have never taken dance but I could turn better than that.

So much THIS. This is the best part--SO much goes over their heads, it's like a never-ending prank. And they just don't see it. 

Cameron's turns are not polished nor done with ease--it looks like she's still working on mastering the basics. And I wonder if they're going to have a Second Annual Fake Dance Battle next year..................

• Love 9
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

Me too.  Whit is not the underdog, however. Jiya was the one getting the hate mail and attacks online. The show is about Whitney and her "fabulous" life. Whit's pretending to be the hero in all of this. I can't root for her. At all. 

Once again this week, I couldn't tell if all the focus on how little time BGDC spent rehearsing was meant to make us see Whitney as the underdog, or to expose what a shitty "instructor" she is.

Frankly, I saw her struggling to learn and keep up with the choreo as much if not more than her students.

I also agree that neither group looks good.  I was a little surprised that Jiya's routine was so low-energy for the first round.  Although I'm guessing that TLC wasn't about to pay any licensing fee for the actual music they danced to, and that may have taken something away from both performances.

I'm afraid the Jiya edit is looking more and more like the set-up for a spin-off series.

• Love 4

I am no fan of Jiya's personality or her style of dance, but at least she has real classes she teaches. I would of judged her the winner just for that reason alone.

They could of come out and done absolutely nothing and I would award them the trophy.

Oh and Babs, that is your daughter you are making jokes about all the time. (The horse) Its crystal clear where the delusional gene comes from. Trophy wife my ass.   Your daughter landed a tv show, not you.  You are merely the mother of a Z-lister.

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

I'm afraid the Jiya edit is looking more and more like the set-up for a spin-off series.

Well, that's one I won't be watching! Actually, given TLC's other programming, I think Jiya is about 200# too "light." For example, there's this new TLC program with a woman who calls herself Pooh & drives around given out advice to people who have supposedly contacted her. She's about Twit's size. (Terrible show, BTW. I watched for maybe 10 minutes.)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, AmyB said:

Screen shot of the score sheet from the preview.  

IMG_3772.PNG

And one of the TWF just said they never saw those. 

looks like some of the categories I posted last week about scoring dance battles. IMO - Points seem low for each category - execution & precision should be a higher max mark. same for choreography. Need to think about what is "risk" in dance - acro maybe ?

I wonder if the Dance Off brought the ratings up as TLC wanted. I suppose so.  It seems like a lot of people watched.  So, even though Whit's team lost, she may still be laughing all the way to the bank! lol  

I prefer to keep the drama to regular, more ordinary antics.  The big performances don't do much for me.  Recall there was her solo performance when she was given some award, the ballroom dancing competition,  the parade contest one where her back was injured, (that was too convenient) and then the recent ones.  

I don't feel much sympathy for any of the characters who go on the show and play a villain, I mean, character.  These people know what to expect.  None of those lady coaches are shrinking violets.   Consider yourself lucky to get a role on reality tv.  It's fun and pays pretty well. 

Missed that blonde hair on Babs.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, John M said:

No one explained to you what you could do in the fake dance battle that was completely made up for the show about you? No one explained the rules or the fairness about this battle that only exists for the TV show about you? Please.

There had to be some rules. Otherwise how did they both (Whit & Jiyra) know that there will be 5 turns.. and how long (or short) to make each dance.

I was ok adding the little girls - unless there was a stated age or max # of people. I've seen a battle where a "live person" was considered the prop.

I didn't think the littles were dancing full-out, so there presence didn't add anything . I expected them to have that "wow"  factor and bring energy/excitement.

3 hours ago, goodbyeglittergirl said:

I was hoping for Miss D and the Dancing Dolls to BUST onto the scene in Greensboro and take over that dance battle. Alas, it did not happen.

I was hoping for Miss D or Abby Miller to be a judge. Or a dancer from their show, as they are almost grown. to judge.

Say what you want about Miss D or Abby Miller- but they can teach , will keep it real and point out the flaws ! :)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder if the Dance Off brought the ratings up as TLC wanted.

Your wish was my command, so I went to ShowBuzzDaily. Unfortunately, it reports the Neilsons are delayed for several days, so there's no info yet. I'll stay tuned & let you know when I know.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

And that Jenzi...thing. "You lookin' a fool! I won't stand for no foolery!"

I couldn't stand Jenzi & didn't see how she added anything to MBFFL. She isn't famous, regardless of what Twit claimed. She is very small-time with the delusion of grandeur that she will one day choreograph for A-listers. And wouldn't counting 1-2-3-4, etc. be more helpful to a group of amateurs trying to stay on beat rather than grunting animalistic non-words?

And why do women of great size such as Jenzi & Twit think real dancers would be interested in their choreography?  Why hire someone whose moves are terribly limited by her size?

Jenzi reminds me of the prisoners who are profiled on a show called Lock Up. On every episode there's at least one guy who raps & thinks he's gonna be the next Konye when he gets out in 20 years. Jenzi's dancing is on the same level as those guys' raps: pathetic & delusional.

BTW, I'm a really old lady (78), so I hate all rap & what is called dance these days. But even with that disclaimer, I still think I can recognize what's amateurish from professional even if I hate all that stuff. Jenzi will forever be amateurish as a choreographer.

ETA: Jenzi does identify as a man. His Instagram photo is captioned: "Yes, I am a man. I have no desire to be a woman, but I Iike being a bitch." See for yourself: google Jenzi Russell. Read the Life & Style article. Follow the link at the of the article to the photo. (I don't know how to include a link here. Anyone who does: a PM with instructions would be appreciated.)

Edited by Dot
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, Dot said:

Your wish was my command, so I went to ShowBuzzDaily. Unfortunately, it reports the Neilsons are delayed for several days, so there's no info yet. I'll stay tuned & let you know when I know.

Thanks Dot.  I tried to find some numbers too, but, had no luck. 

20 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

I liked how the radio station sponsoring the event didn't even bother to direct paid employees to attend. I wasn't paying close attention to Roy's explanation of why he wouldn't be there, but I'd assume that whatever it was actually translates to "my employer doesn't think this is worth paying me for".

This may have been answered already but Roy said he wouldn't be there because he had to attend another radio event. I did notice that the producer was there in the crowd (I can't remember her name).

12 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Re Amanda, she was sitting next to Buddy and said sometimes to the effect of "Can they do thst?"when the little girls came into dance. Stupid questions do dance battles have rules?

That was Heather. 

6 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

Sounded like they were being sarcastic to me--making someone think you don't know what a word means and that person (Whitney) tries to explain it. It's another form of low-level meanness. People who work on the air are generally not dumb, but they sometimes pretend to be.

And weren't they also making fun of her pronunciation of the word?? Pressy-puss or something like that?? 

• Love 1

So Whitney thinks Cameron is an "amazing dancer"? Really? And she and Todd lived together in NYC to pursue their dancing dreams? Lol! That was - quite honestly - the saddest and most lackluster display of dancing on both sides. Low energy...little synchronicity...low to no skill. I mean - c'mon. I also do not get Todd. Is he an aspiring dancer? Actor? Super server? Or just someone looking for a reality show paycheck as the "sassy" gay bff of a Z-list reality "star"? His constant over the top facial expressions aren't funny or cute to me. Mostly they scream "make me a meme please!".

I think this episode finally cured me of even hate watching. It was so, so very boring. I much prefer coming to this site and reading what you awesome, smart, snarky folks have to say. 

Eta: I chuckled a bit when Manny congratulated BGDC for being "1st runners up". In a 2 person contest. I want to think he was being sarcastic...

Edited by Tipsymcstagger
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, MissCurmudgeonly said:

Okay, a bit of blasphemy here - I actually thought Twit's group "danced" better than the trophy wives. There was actually some semblance of choreography with Twit's team, while the Trophies were just shaking their butts, and doing that "going down" bullshit. BORING. It all looked exactly the same.

I thought so too.  I had expected the trophy wives to really have it all together but I found really only kids had decent lines.  The whole layout of the trophy wives seemed sloppy too, the v formation was cleaner looking.  I thought the bat routine was terrible, if you are going to do something slow the movements need to precise and tidy.  I enjoyed the sticks more.

While I don't think either group looked like professional dancers, the Whit group held their own compared to the trophies, to me it was kind of a tie, especially without the kids.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

I think this episode finally cured me of even hate watching. It was so, so very boring. I much prefer coming to this site and reading what you awesome, smart, snarky folks have to say. 

Eta: I chuckled a bit when Manny congratulated BGDC for being "1st runners up". In a 2 person contest. I want to think he was being sarcastic...

Word.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I still think the battle was fixed. I think JIya's group won so that Whitney could have a bitching episode and play martyr and victim on social media. 

As soon as Whitney said "I think we're going to win" , you know they're going to lose.

Whitneys group was cleaner and had a slight edge over energy if you don't count the kids, and I don't think they should count the kids.  Both sides used their arms more than their legs, because of,their sizes no doubt.  But based on their sized, whitneys group does well and they work well together. The other group was a mess.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Dot said:

Jenzi does identify as a man. His Instagram photo is captioned: "Yes, I am a man. I have no desire to be a woman, but I Iike being a bitch." See for yourself: google Jenzi Russell. Read the Life & Style article. Follow the link at the of the article to the photo. (I don't know how to include a link here. Anyone who does: a PM with instructions would be appreciated.)

So Whit spent two entire episodes misgendering him because of body stereotypes. Thanks for the support Twit - The LGBT community.

• Love 4

I don't know why but I expected more of this one - more of the dance competition I guess. It was clips of each side instead. I could've done without the glaring & crazy eyes on both sides, & the badly acted out 'worry' or watchfulness over the other team's performances. It was lame all around.

That said I do agree with those who have said Whit's side did a better job. I felt Jenzi was accurate in saying BGDC had more variety in movements (as much as they could do together) & that Jiya's class is mostly twerking & how many ways are there to twerk; it got old fast... it takes no real skill, is nasty looking, & had no place in a performance including kids. And I thought the kids should not have been included in the TW performance at all. She needed kids to win? Maybe because they couldn't do anything besides be obscene.

Todd's 'injury' was unnecessary fake drama.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Dot said:

ETA: Jenzi does identify as a man. His Instagram photo is captioned: "Yes, I am a man. I have no desire to be a woman, but I Iike being a bitch." See for yourself: google Jenzi Russell. Read the Life & Style article. Follow the link at the of the article to the photo. (I don't know how to include a link here. Anyone who does: a PM with instructions would be appreciated.)

Here's the link to the article. What's confusing is that the article was posted this week and the writer states that Jenzi  is "open about her identity.  During her scenes on My Big Fat Fabulous Life, Whitney refers to Jenzi with female pronouns, but she revealed in an Instagram post from nearly a year ago that she was born a man."  Yet the writer also uses female pronouns to refer to Jenzi.
Here's the instagram post  

3 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

And weren't they also making fun of her pronunciation of the word?? Pressy-puss or something like that?? 

Roy in particular seemed to emphasize the puss part of precipice.  The whole exchange with the radio station folks and Whitney made me uncomfortable.  Whitney looked slovenly and unwashed and behaved like a hurt 14 year old girl with Roy.  He may not be the nicest person, but it has to have taken control beyond human capability to be forced into interaction with delusional Whitney.

The part of the show where I really focused was watching the three judges.  They held themselves so stiff that I wouldn't have been surprised to see them wearing neck braces as part of the aftermath of a car accident.  Also, I couldn't catch any of them blinking.  There was just complete stillness, shrinking into themselves as though they could disappear.  I believe the only way the three judges were coerced into participating was due to having family members kidnapped and held hostage until the performance ended.  This was the favorite part of the show for me.

And then, oh my, the dance off.  I'm not a prude, but there was nothing sensus (tm Whitney) about the writhing of Jiya's group and Whitney's self-loving rubbing.  My eyes are still tortured.

Did I hear Whitney right as they were waiting around for the judging to finalize?  I think she said that her legs and feet were killing her and that her feet were starting to push into the floor or some such thing.  Your life is not fabulous, Whitney, if your feet are getting pressurized down into the floor because of your weight.

I'm still laughing whenever I think of the tortured judges.  There was so much pain on their faces.  I really am a sadistic wench sometimes.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ketzel said:

Here's the link to the article. What's confusing is that the article was posted this week and the writer states that Jenzi  is "open about her identity.  During her scenes on My Big Fat Fabulous Life, Whitney refers to Jenzi with female pronouns, but she revealed in an Instagram post from nearly a year ago that she was born a man."  Yet the writer also uses female pronouns to refer to Jenzi.
Here's the instagram post  

John M. is probably a better source on this, but I took it to indicate that he is a cross-dresser, probably gay. Many gay guys I've known over the years who dress in drag will use females pronouns to describe themselves, but still consider themselves male.

I think the comments about the dance-off have been kind so far.  I think both teams SUCKED very badly.  I didn't have high expectations going into this, but was STILL completely let down.  Each segment was only something like 15 seconds?  Plus unless I blinked and missed it, they didn't even show us segment 2 out of the 5.  Given all of Jiya's smack talk leading up to this I would have expected so much more.  I think that even what we saw of both teams in previous episodes was better than the actual dance off!

So Jenzi is on record saying he is a he and has no desire to be a woman.  This after all the makeup and seeing his boobs spilling out last week.  Maybe he only wants to look and act like a woman.  Whatever.  Pick a pronoun and stick with it.

I thought the people in the audience at the dance off were probably mostly friends and relatives of all the people in the teams, and even at that they were small groups.

I feel bad for Roy that he was probably sucked into Whitney's fake delusions against his will and is now the target of negative comments online.  I don't blame him for anything that comes out of his mouth knowing that.

Yes, Lennie's real name was posted online last year as "Nathan Lee".

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Cherrio said:

I am no fan of Jiya's personality or her style of dance, but at least she has real classes she teaches. I would of judged her the winner just for that reason alone.

They could of come out and done absolutely nothing and I would award them the trophy.

Oh and Babs, that is your daughter you are making jokes about all the time. (The horse) Its crystal clear where the delusional gene comes from. Trophy wife my ass.   Your daughter landed a tv show, not you.  You are merely the mother of a Z-lister.

So much yes!!!  That's the issue I have with Twitney and co.  Her BGDG is only there for filming.  The rest of the time there is no classes (not even for shits and giggles).   Jiya's class, whether its just twerking or not, is a real class and is a weekly thing.  

In my opinion, both teams sucked.  I would not have awarded the trophy to either.

The judges looked like they were in pain.  But when you get in bed with TLC.... you just gotta lay there and take it.

At this point I feel no remorse whatsoever for any of them except for Glen and Hunter.  They are clearly not liking this and I say Free Glen!

Babs has gotten sucked into the limelight.  I hope if there is a next season, TLC makes mincemeat of both her and Twit.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Dot said:

John M. is probably a better source on this, but I took it to indicate that he is a cross-dresser, probably gay. Many gay guys I've known over the years who dress in drag will use females pronouns to describe themselves, but still consider themselves male.

In drag? Sure, they are becoming their female gendered alter-ego and as such they are female for the purposes of the performance but never identify themselves as female. Outside of drag, I've never seen it and I don't think Jenzi considers herself to be in drag. As for other uses I mean it's common for gay men to refer to each other by female pro-nouns, (e.g. Miss Thang, She's a mess, where's her boy, etc) but it's not a serious thing and not an attempt to change the subjects gender.  

I'm guessing Jenzi just doesn't believe that clothing is gendered. I think he wears what clothing he wants to wear and if it is stereotypically considered female clothing so be it.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Maggienolia said:

Yeah, it was Roy as someone mentioned. They are totally messing with her, making her seem all serious like they need a dictionary when I'm sure they not only know the actual meaning, but also threw out what pressy-puss really is. It's Whitney. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Treehugger said:

The part of the show where I really focused was watching the three judges.  They held themselves so stiff that I wouldn't have been surprised to see them wearing neck braces as part of the aftermath of a car accident.  Also, I couldn't catch any of them blinking.  There was just complete stillness, shrinking into themselves as though they could disappear.  I believe the only way the three judges were coerced into participating was due to having family members kidnapped and held hostage until the performance ended.  This was the favorite part of the show for me. [snip]

I'm still laughing whenever I think of the tortured judges.  There was so much pain on their faces.  I really am a sadistic wench sometimes.

I think those score sheets we got a glimpse of are even faker than we thought.  The real ones just say HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME...over and over again.

• Love 12

When Whitney showed up at the radio station to whine about how the upcoming dance battle Roy had forced her into was stressing her out, I'm pretty sure Maney said that, although Roy had casually proposed the dance battle, it was TLC's producers that had grabbed the idea and run with it.  He (or Roy) also said that pretty much all the station had contributed was to find the judges. Since the judges were never introduced, nor were their credentials for judging a dance battle provided, I'm going to assume they were either (a) radio station interns who were ordered to be there, or (b) engineers or other off-mic employees of the station who were ordered to be there. And, in either case, the station was holding their pets hostage for the duration of the event. :)

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

When Whitney showed up at the radio station to whine about how the upcoming dance battle Roy had forced her into was stressing her out, I'm pretty sure Maney said that, although Roy had casually proposed the dance battle, it was TLC's producers that had grabbed the idea and run with it.  He (or Roy) also said that pretty much all the station had contributed was to find the judges. Since the judges were never introduced, nor were their credentials for judging a dance battle provided, I'm going to assume they were either (a) radio station interns who were ordered to be there, or (b) engineers or other off-mic employees of the station who were ordered to be there. And, in either case, the station was holding their pets hostage for the duration of the event. :)

LOL!!!

I hate these wacky "morning zoo" type radio shows and I distinctly remember the day I quit listening to shows like this--it was when they made someone take a bite from a rattle snake to win tickets to a concert (they had a doctor standing by to administer anti-venom...but what if it didn't work?) Anyway, off track..  I just really despise the type of comedy that relies on making fun of another person for laughs (even if its Whitney, who clearly deserves it).  I just don't understand why this radio program is still a part of her show.  It's obvious that she doesn't work there and her appearances don't even make the real show.  Also, (and this is really from the either the last show or the one before) why did she get so dressed up to go to the trophy wives workout class (i.e., she put on makeup) and for the radio show, where she's trying to make a good impression, she looks like she just rolled out of bed?  This show has no logic.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ketzel said:

Since the judges were never introduced, nor were their credentials for judging a dance battle provided,

Actually, they were introduced by name & organization. If I remember correctly, the guy in the tie is from a community college, the woman owns her own dance studio, aaaaaand ... I can't remember what group the other guy represented. I'm wondering if that's the reason all the judges looked so uncomfortable. They didn't realize they'd be outed on national TV when they accepted the TLC check. Maybe they thought they'd just be sitting anonymously in the background instead of front & center.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dot said:

Actually, they were introduced by name & organization. If I remember correctly, the guy in the tie is from a community college, the woman owns her own dance studio, aaaaaand ... I can't remember what group the other guy represented. I'm wondering if that's the reason all the judges looked so uncomfortable. They didn't realize they'd be outed on national TV when they accepted the TLC check. Maybe they thought they'd just be sitting anonymously in the background instead of front & center.

1- Director of ShowTime inc. Emanuel Mallete (he's the one in the tie). 2- Daliana Simons - director of daliana dance. 3- D. Jerome Wells - NC school of the arts.

All local to Greensboro.

Excuse the spelling. for some reason, when I freeze the captioned screen, the captions go away.

I think judges/referees should have some kind of "poker face". I know on DWTS & the " American talent xxx" - the judges, who are "seen" almost as much as the contestants,  do seem to get quite emotional while voting and have a lot of commentary to impart.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Dot said:

The last guy was from North Carolina school of,the arts which is an excellent dance and arts school for high school and college. You need to be well trained with talent and potential to get into the school. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dot said:

Goodness, how did I miss that? I've been known to doze off in the middle of MBFFL, but I thought I was actually paying attention to this! :-)

4 minutes ago, Lemons said:

The last guy was from North Carolina school of,the arts which is an excellent dance and arts school for high school and college. You need to be well trained with talent and potential to get into the school. 

I'm going to take a wild guess that none of these people had any idea what MBFFL was before they were recruited by KISS 95.1 to do this.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

I'm going to take a wild guess that none of these people had any idea what MBFFL was before they were recruited by KISS 95.1 to do this.

They (the judges) probably drew the short straw at a staff meeting. these things tend to be discussed and decided upon at higher levels.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Dot said:

So now we know why Twit was practicing her hip isolations.

No no no no no no no............she cannot taint bellydancing. This woman jumps from thing to thing, from "competition" to "competition" without fully appreciating the history behind the tradition. Just, NO!

• Love 6

Whit's dad seems to be sick of her shit. He's wasn't in the mood for her at dinner. 

It pains me to say this, but I was underwhelmed with the Trophy Wives (stupid name) performance. "Going low" and twerking is not dancing, they were a mess. They need to shut their holier than thou mouths and start working on their routines. Whit's team actually looked more pulled together with the red and black clothes and their little sticks. Lol, not saying much, I know. 

How did Todd recover so quickly? 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, sATL said:

They (the judges) probably drew the short straw at a staff meeting. these things tend to be discussed and decided upon at higher levels.

I'm guessing for Jerome that meant automatic tenure and a promotion to full professor. 

2 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

No no no no no no no............she cannot taint bellydancing. This woman jumps from thing to thing, from "competition" to "competition" without fully appreciating the history behind the tradition. Just, NO!

Appreciating the history?? Tradition?? She barely learns the f*ing STEPS!! And while I've never taken a bellydancing class, I echo your plea that she doesn't taint the art. Cuz if she cain't twerk properly (still can't believe there's a "proper" way to twerk) you KNOW that there is no isolating those hips. It's just one big mass of jiggles. 

• Love 2

{copied from the dancing thread}

FYI... I happen to come across a chart of popular dance/dance moves from each decade (link). Unfortunately, the chart stopped at the 1990s. I wonder, would the battle been different - i.e. more likeable - if Whit/Jirya  exhibited the dances of the earlier years (that I guess most people preferred to see/do), to keep from doing the "twerking" of the 20xx-era.

• 1920s Charleston, Black Bottom
  • 1930s Lindy Hop (black), Jitterbug (white)
  • 1950s Waltz, Fox Trot, Rumba
  • 1960s Twist, Monkey, Mashed Potato
  • 1970s Hustle, Bus Stop
  • 1980s breakdancing, pop dancing
  • 1990s rave, hip hop
Edited by sATL
32 minutes ago, sATL said:

FYI... I happen to come across a chart of popular dance/dance moves from each decade (link). Unfortunately, the chart stopped at the 1990s. I wonder, would the battle been different - i.e. more likeable - if Whit/Jirya  exhibited the dances of the earlier years (that I guess most people preferred to see/do), to keep from doing the "twerking" of the 20xx-era.

• 1970s Hustle, Bus Stop
  • 1990s rave, hip hop

I'll take 1960s thru 1980s.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

How did Todd recover so quickly? 

IMO, he was never injured. That was just scripted to give Twit an opportunity to pretend to be concerned that all her work & rehearsal was down the toilet. (The scriptwriter forgot to tell Twit she should show some concern for Todd, too, to make the segment seem real.)

• Love 8

OK. I just have to say this entire show is disgusting. This women is a fat, unhealthy, and terrible example for anyone! That fact this is a show is horrific. This women needs to lose a 100 pounds and then be a dancer. I may get back lash for this but my god people. Fat shaming should be rewarded or you will become this monster. Maybe if she goes on 600 pound life which IS a show worth watching I would she her as a noble person. Just be healthy and dont let yourself be lazy and obese.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Kristinfrog said:

OK. I just have to say this entire show is disgusting. This women is a fat, unhealthy, and terrible example for anyone! That fact this is a show is horrific. This women needs to lose a 100 pounds and then be a dancer. 

Whitney is 5'2" tall and so far this season she claims that she weighs  @360 lbs. If she lost 100 lbs, she'd still be morbidly obese.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, sATL said:

• 1970s Hustle, Bus Stop
  • 1990s rave, hip hop

How could they leave out "The Bump" (1970s) and the "Macarena" (1980s)?

Twerking is not a dance.  I don't even know if it can be considered a "dance move".  Whatever it is, I personally find it unattractive and vulgar, especially as done by Jiya and her group.  I suppose some people thought that about the Bump 40 years ago but not that many as I recall.  It was just seen as fun if a bit silly.  Twerking is neither, IMHO.

• Love 5

The Neilsons for this week put MBFFL back where it was a couple of weeks ago: 874,000 viewers with a 0.26 share. The show's still holding 37th place out of the top 50 cable shows on Tuesday.

Interesting that Twit managed to get back to 800,000+ viewers. If you read random comments on the MBFFL FB, it seems her former fans are fleeing, sick of: (1) the over-scripting (2) the lez kiss, (3) trying to cripple a horse, and (4) the dirty litter box. Many of them sound like they should move over to this forum!

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

How could they leave out "The Bump" (1970s) and the "Macarena" (1980s)?

Twerking is not a dance.  I don't even know if it can be considered a "dance move".  Whatever it is, I personally find it unattractive and vulgar, especially as done by Jiya and her group.  I suppose some people thought that about the Bump 40 years ago but not that many as I recall.  It was just seen as fun if a bit silly.  Twerking is neither, IMHO.

Yes. It can take a generation (Forrest Gump/Elvis - "Hound Dog' - S.F says 'not for children's eyes' clip) , a multi-million $ romantic comedy (Dirty Dancing) or a few Grammies from the soundtrack (Saturday night Fever trailer) for a dance to be a "classic", that at first and/or in some circles or performers probably crossed a line. Maybe that is why the list stopped at the 1990s.

I was young tween when SNF came out and parents made "discoes"  sounds like a place to go get "some" (trying to be polite here, as I don't know what we can or cannot say on this site ). By the time I was legal, the same dance hole spots were renamed to "clubs" and yes, sad to say, I left quite a few times -empty handed. Walk into a dance-club place now (if they still exist) doing SNF moves, you probably will get thrown out, not for hip/pelvic thrusting, but for taking up too much floor space.

I guess time will tell what dances Whit/Jiya will be doing 10/20 years from now. Maybe one day they both will take it back old school and do the "Hustle", the "Twist" or the "Jitterbug"  - the body parts really will be flying then ☺

Edited by sATL
correct link to show what Sally Fields says
  • Love 1