Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, Lemons said:

Those movies weren't "maddie" movies, they both had major stars in them. She is a beginner and is only well know because of Sia videos and dance moms. Her minor roles don't make or break movies. She's doing fine  

Most big animated movies have big name actors doing the voices. It's big money and seen as desirable work. 

Whoa - I never said these were "Maddie movies"  as I know she was not the featured "star" but that is besides the point as she was out promoting these movies way to far in advance as the releases were both pushed back. They were promoting Ballerina - renamed Leap all the way back in 2016. She was on multiple programs promoting Book of Henry way before it was released - and unfortunately people lose interest - and yes - most of the promoting was done by Ziegler as the media focused on her as the breakout star from Dance Moms even though both movies had actors who were more notable than Ziegler.

Maddie's book is part of the Scholastic Book Fair making it around elementary schools---in the entire week and a half, we did not sell one of her books. I was actually a little surprised because girls were going gaga over a rag type book featuring JoJo. 

• Love 2

There is a lot of info out there on the net and, especially YouTube, about what's coming in the few weeks in regard to Abby Lee's departure and Cheryl Burke's arrival.  Some major changes are going to occur.

Edited by cali1981
On 9/6/2017 at 3:25 AM, TDT said:

I think that could be the reason why its director,Colin Trevorrow,is no longer working on Star Wars Episode IX

Those are two different movies.  Book of Henry, the one directed by Colin Trevorrow, came out earlier this summer and tanked.  The reviews were dreadful, and yes, possibly contributed to him losing his Star Wars gig.  From what I read of the reviews, the problem was far from Maddie.  She was playing a dancer (as she probably will continue to play) and while the movie is very much about her character, she didn't have a ton to do besides give reaction shots and remain quiet.  She certainly had nothing to do with the overall issues the movie had, but it didn't sound like they gave her much to do either.

The movie that came out a few weeks ago was an animated flick called Leap, also about dancing and also with bad reviews.  Elle Fanning was the lead and I think Maddie played the mean dancer girl.  I don't know how Maddie specifically did, but the movie itself got lost amongst all the other bad end of summer releases.

Both were movies with reputable names, so I understand why Maddie would take the roles.  She's not going to get the blame for either being absolute turkeys.  But her reps should be trying to angle her into something legit fast before her it girl status fades.  People will only continue to cast her for so long.

Edited by spanana
3 hours ago, spanana said:

Both were movies with reputable names, so I understand why Maddie would take the roles.  She's not going to get the blame for either being absolute turkeys.  But her reps should be trying to angle her into something legit fast before her it girl status fades.  People will only continue to cast her for so long.

I think Maddie needs to get into something completely unrelated to dance if they want her to be considered a real actress. She can still dance and do dance-related stuff, but it would be good to branch out a bit.

4 hours ago, Marock8 said:

Leap! (Ballerina) made nearly $100 million worldwide on a budget of only $30 million. This movie was actually successful at the box office.

That is a lot of spin. It still generally bombed. Great if it made its relatively small budget back overseas so the producers didn't lose a ton of money, but that doesn't make it much of a success. Over the course of the better part of two weeks, including two weekends, it barely made 13 million dollars in the US.  Then couple that with it's 35% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and no. There isn't much to spin.  This isn't the type of movie that anyone expected to be a blockbuster, but I'm sure they were hoping to break 20 million in the US. 

Anyway, as far as next moves for Maddie, I think she's filming that Sia thing? I'm still waiting for a project where I can see if she actually act.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, spanana said:

That is a lot of spin. It still generally bombed. Great if it made its relatively small budget back overseas so the producers didn't lose a ton of money, but that doesn't make it much of a success. Over the course of the better part of two weeks, including two weekends, it barely made 13 million dollars in the US.  Then couple that with it's 35% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and no. There isn't much to spin.  This isn't the type of movie that anyone expected to be a blockbuster, but I'm sure they were hoping to break 20 million in the US. 

Anyway, as far as next moves for Maddie, I think she's filming that Sia thing? I'm still waiting for a project where I can see if she actually act.

On IMDb "Leap!" has a score of 6.8. So really not that bad.

Btw it's a French-Canadian co-production and not from the US.

10 hours ago, Marock8 said:

On IMDb "Leap!" has a score of 6.8. So really not that bad.

Btw it's a French-Canadian co-production and not from the US.

Critics ratings and IMDb ratings are not the same thing. IMDb ratings are user ratings, so any number of Maddie fans can go and rate the thing a 10 just to support her without ever having seen it.  It's not an accurate representation of anything.

5 hours ago, spanana said:

Critics ratings and IMDb ratings are not the same thing. IMDb ratings are user ratings, so any number of Maddie fans can go and rate the thing a 10 just to support her without ever having seen it.  It's not an accurate representation of anything.

Well, by that theory "The Book of Henry" would also have a higher IMDb rating, which I don't see.

I've watched "Ballerina" when it was released here some time ago, and it's a nice sweet little movie.

I haven't watched either - but Ballerina should have had a better showing because it was a cartoon feature and those usually do well with the younger audiences. The Book of Henry sounded cute - but after the details of what the movie was really about instead of uplifting - good vs evil - I found it more morbid. It addresses a problem seen throughout society - but through the writings of a dead boy - didn't appeal to me.

If the Ziegler girls had been picked up by Disney or Nick - then I could see their careers having more longevity and being able to branch out - I don't see that 15 minutes lasting longer than another year unless one of them does something that's really noticed.

• Love 5
On 9/7/2017 at 6:15 PM, KaveDweller said:

I think Maddie needs to get into something completely unrelated to dance if they want her to be considered a real actress. She can still dance and do dance-related stuff, but it would be good to branch out a bit.

Or maybe she should forget about the "acting" and really focus on her dancing again.  I've seen some of more recent routines and they are good.  Unfortunately she and her despicable mother have succumbed to the lure of "stardom".  It's quite sad really.

• Love 4

Thanks for the video Dance vid - loved it

The latest on Kalani - ( who after I saw her and her mom's twitter responses - can't say I'm a fan of anymore - taking the high road shows your maturity and that you're the better person)

https://www.circa.com/story/2017/09/12/fashion/kalani-hillikers-new-york-fashion-week-show-drew-tons-of-influencers-and-their-millions-of-followers

and she's nominated for TigerBeats ( didn't realize this still existed!! LOL) 19 Under 19 Awards

http://www.virtualmeetandgreet.com/store/p16/Kalani_Hilliker_Live_Broadcast-_9%2F17_%40_11_am_PST.html - they are trying to rake in as much money as they can.

On 8/28/2017 at 8:37 AM, Loves2Dance said:

Maddie's movie opened this weekend to a dismal $5 million; Hollywood had a poor box office week, but it ranked #3. It had a 37% on Rotten Tomato. 

I like that she's working---even though I really can't stand her or her mom---but I think they need to become pickier about what she takes on. Her 2 major movie gigs have been flops. :( 

Wow. Maddie should focus on something else. Chloe should too. They can't act and aren't marketable unless it's young fans. Even Dakota Fanning had better numbers. She's was 7. 

I'm finally caught up (through Ashlee 1 and 2) and now am wondering when the next episode airs ... nothing coming up on my DirectTV search option. ETA: JUST showed up in previews, so October 3. Great way to kick off birthday long weekend:  watching more meltdowns!

Am I the only person who thinks the stupid JoJo bows are hideous? But I know they're HUGE (literally and figuratively). They take up half a wall at the local Claire's (don't judge me, I'm about to grow out my bangs, a long and arduous process for an alleged grownup, and needed to load up on headbands.)

I also had not realized until yesterday that unless I'm mistaken Kalani is actually the SHORTEST of the "older girls." I'd usually watched her in solos and she gave off a strong and fierce bigger presence so when I saw a shot from the back of her, Nia, Kendall and ... Cameron, I guess? ... I was wondering who the "little" one was and realized it was Kalani. 

And does Kalani's mom's throat and neck always turn bright scarlet when she gets upset? That looked scary. I thought she might stroke out. 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
Found answer to my own question
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Am I the only person who thinks the stupid JoJo bows are hideous? But I know they're HUGE (literally and figuratively). They take up half a wall at the local Claire's (don't judge me, I'm about to grow out my bangs, a long and arduous process for an alleged grownup, and needed to load up on headbands.)

Nope, those bows are fugly. They're ginormous and doofy looking. They look ridiculous on JoJo's being thats she 14, but she making money off it so.....

So from that article:

In Season 7, episode 23, titled “There’s a New Team in Town,” Chloe and the girls will head to a new studio and receive weekly instruction from Aisha Francis. Their competition dance, however, won’t be what fans, or the girls, are used to. The elite choreographer will teach them an adult, burlesque number, something Abby won’t have her remaining, much younger ALDC students, compete.

“The Irreplaceables and the ALDC go head-to-head at competition for the first time. Abby’s team competes a fan-favorite group number while the older girls shock the audience with a mature routine,” Lifetime’s synopsis reveals. The summary also states that the adult number will result in “an uproar from Abby and her minions.”

Didn't Abby make the girls do a burlesque number back in season 1 when they were all 8?

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1

The news about the burlesque dance definitely makes Ashley's departure make more sense and why she quickly came back aka for the talk show host style shows. She wasn't around when Abby was doing hypersexual routines so this was likely her first brush with it. 

I think the news is bitter sweet. On one hand, the show should have ended long ago, but on the other, it was nice keeping up with the kids of the show and watching them grow up. It'll be interesting to see if we are still talking about any of them a year from now...somehow, I doubt it.

I also find of hope we get a "Where are they now" portion of the special. I found out today that Lucas is no longer dancing and I have no clue what the Hyland sisters are up to anymore. I think it'd be cool to see what they were all up to now after the show. 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:19 AM, tessat said:

Jojo left at just the right time! Jojo brought a fad into play - not everyone can dance - but most can wear a bow to conform. I just saw Maddie's shots in Glamour http://www.famousfix.com/post/maddie-ziegler-galore-magazine-september-2017-issue-62069207 - they're cute but a couple I thought were too old for her - then again - what they do in modeling is a whole other story.

Yeah, the pic in the nightie is very Lolita-esque.  This may sound terrible, but I always thought Melissa would do anything, no matter how detrimental to her girls, to make them famous.  I get a Terri Shields (Brooke Shields' mother) vibe from Melissa.  I could see her signing Maddie up soon for films with nude scenes.  I think Melissa was the only mother who wasn't uncomfortable with the Burlesque dance which suggested nudity.  And the girls were very young when they did that.  I also remember one of the last dances that Mack did where she wore garters high on her thighs, along with some bumps and grinds, and the move exotic dancers do where they drop down in a crouch with legs fully spread.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Marock8 said:

According to IMDb, the worldwide box office for "Ballerina" has reached $144M
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2261287/business

The newest Sia video feat. Maddie Ziegler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paXOkGMyG8M

Haven't see Ballerina nor will I as I don't have grand daughters  but Frozen grossed $1.2 Billion so this film does not cut the mustard and I thought it would.

The Sia song is pretty and I'm not a Sia fan - but the dancing was something any number of kids without Maddie skills could do - her association with Sia is now predictable with the same facial and arm jestures - not unlike how predictable her dances were with Abby. Maddie has so much more going for her and this doesn't demonstrate that.

27 minutes ago, tessat said:

Haven't see Ballerina nor will I as I don't have grand daughters  but Frozen grossed $1.2 Billion so this film does not cut the mustard and I thought it would.

The movie only cost $30m so it was at least profitable. And it's hard to compare it to a movie like Frozen which was put out as a Disney princess movie with an A list cast. 

10 hours ago, Marock8 said:

According to IMDb, the worldwide box office for "Ballerina" has reached $144M
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2261287/business

The newest Sia video feat. Maddie Ziegler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paXOkGMyG8M

That's pretty good for a non-disney movie.  I think it did better in foreign than domestic because American kids don't have the best attention spans and this was less flashy animation and more story, music and dance.  Of course the story might have been better but that's 90% of movies out there.  They did have a great cast - Kate McKinnon, who I love, Elle Fanning, Mel Brooks, Carly Rae (singer) and of course Maddie.  

I will be suffering through the My Little Pony movie, I know that.

11 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Yeah, the pic in the nightie is very Lolita-esque.  This may sound terrible, but I always thought Melissa would do anything, no matter how detrimental to her girls, to make them famous.  I get a Terri Shields (Brooke Shields' mother) vibe from Melissa.  I could see her signing Maddie up soon for films with nude scenes.  I think Melissa was the only mother who wasn't uncomfortable with the Burlesque dance which suggested nudity.  And the girls were very young when they did that.  I also remember one of the last dances that Mack did where she wore garters high on her thighs, along with some bumps and grinds, and the move exotic dancers do where they drop down in a crouch with legs fully spread.

The romper shorts?  Those are a lot more appropriate than most dance costumes.  I think it's the whole Maddie trying to be sexy that makes it weird.  

I don't remember any dances from past episodes but I always hated when the tiny dancers were made to lift their right legs (always right) and face their crotches in the judges faces.  Until a certain age I don't think the dancers are aware of how it looks but the teachers are.  

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:35 PM, CherryBlossom226 said:

YES! YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!! It's finally over!

Dance Moms Has Officially Been Cancelled, Series Finale Airs on October 31st

When I read the show was over, it just made me laugh, a lot.   I have never responded this way to entertainment that I spent time watching that was over. The show does always seem to spring back from the grave or life support without much change to fit new circumstances (e.g. can't move on from Abby and constantly blame Abby). There is a lot to be desired for me with the storyline and talent (lacks passion and talent does not match the script).  Sometimes I ask myself why I watch, and I think it is because I was there from the start and love shows that dealt with people lives in artistic fields.   

Edited by DaisyFields500
New information

Lol. I clicked on that link but it says now that it's only a season finale not a series finale! They're trying to keep it going I guess.

After telling International Business Times in an email on Thursday, Sept. 21, that the Season 7 finale of “Dance Moms” would act as a series finale, the network backtracked on their statement on Monday. Lifetime now states the Oct. 31 episode will serve as a season, not a series, finale.

Edited by taragel
27 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Seriously? How desperate can Lifetime get?

They must think it makes good business sense to try to keep it going.  They know the numbers they need to make a profit.  If it doesn't make money it will be gone.  I would guess they would try with a whole new cast but who knows.  

Not quoting anyone - but this is Asia's latest single and video and I have to say I love the positive message. It's great to see these kids have moved on and still have a following and a future. She's much better than Mackenzie in my opinion.

Nia's doing a lot more that we wouldn't hear about unless we followed her.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:05 PM, tessat said:

Not quoting anyone - but this is Asia's latest single and video and I have to say I love the positive message. It's great to see these kids have moved on and still have a following and a future. She's much better than Mackenzie in my opinion.

Nia's doing a lot more that we wouldn't hear about unless we followed her.

Thanks for sharing. I forgot that Asia was on the show, but I remember her confidence, because she's not on it anymore.  I really enjoyed her song.  It sounds like a song we would hear on the radio.  

It is nice to see Nia doing things to further her career.  That's great.  

Edited by DaisyFields500
  • Love 2

Sorry - but if they do bring in a new cast and continue Dance Moms - I'm all in. Unfortunately - the only ones I care about are Nia, Chloe and Brynn. As much as I loved Kalani - she's getting like her mom - where is that sweet girl I use to know. Kendall is her mom - so done with her. The minis can go and bring in a new batch with moms who aren't so nuts. I watch for the kids - not the BS between the moms.

So I have been following this board for years as an embarrassingly devout follower of DM, but hadn't really found anything worth sharing.

Until I saw this gem front and center of my mall's Halloween store this week: https://www.spirithalloween.com/product/155963.uts

Somebody who's around young kids tell me, is she really that popular? From what, DM? YT? Nick? I am impressed with her management though, going the Mary-Kate and Ashley route. At this rate she will be the most successful kid from this show. 

Speaking of Nick, has anyone mentioned Maddie being on a couple episodes of Nicky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn? Personally I found her acting really subpar to that of the female lead Lizzy Greene. 

Going back to Leap!, it was a completely fine step for Maddie to take, but I'm still not in the club of pretending like it was a success.  No, nobody expected it to do Frozen business.  But it was just one of a million animated movies that come out yearly.  Some catch on.  Some don't.  Most actors/actresses pick up voice acting on the side for some easy cash and probably don't care too much if the movie is good or bad.  Yes, it was low budget so nobody lost money out of it but I highly doubt any studios are celebrating its success either.  

It is currently the #48 movie of the year internationally (and will go a lot lower as obviously a lot of bigger movies have yet to come out this year).  It is #68 domestically for 2017 releases.  It's not even on the all-time domestic or international lists.  Critically it got a 37% on Rotten Tomatoes meaning approximately 37% of critics gave it positive reviews, and while I know the obvious response will be that critics just don't like kids movies, plenty of animated movies get positive reviews.

It's not going to harm Maddie's career.  She got her check and I'm sure moved on.  It just didn't do anything to help her movie career either.

5 hours ago, spanana said:

Going back to Leap!, it was a completely fine step for Maddie to take, but I'm still not in the club of pretending like it was a success.  No, nobody expected it to do Frozen business.  But it was just one of a million animated movies that come out yearly.  Some catch on.  Some don't.  Most actors/actresses pick up voice acting on the side for some easy cash and probably don't care too much if the movie is good or bad.  Yes, it was low budget so nobody lost money out of it but I highly doubt any studios are celebrating its success either.  

It is currently the #48 movie of the year internationally (and will go a lot lower as obviously a lot of bigger movies have yet to come out this year).  It is #68 domestically for 2017 releases.  It's not even on the all-time domestic or international lists.  Critically it got a 37% on Rotten Tomatoes meaning approximately 37% of critics gave it positive reviews, and while I know the obvious response will be that critics just don't like kids movies, plenty of animated movies get positive reviews.

It's not going to harm Maddie's career.  She got her check and I'm sure moved on.  It just didn't do anything to help her movie career either.

Unlike maddie, all the other actors doing voices in this move are famous big names and no, these voice overs don't make or break actors. Good money though and good training.  

I think her next movie with sia will take more acting abilities. She plays an autistic teen or maybe a mentally disabled teen. Kate Hudson is in it.  I don't know what the plot is but should be interesting based on sia's involvement. 

One thing about Abby, looking back, she was right about maddie being in her own league. The child's work ethic and talent was evident at such an early age.  Watching these last few episodes also showed some glaring differences between the other girls and maddie. The timidness and self consciousness that the girls showed with different material, especially Kendall. Maddie puts her heart and soul into everything she does without a hint of self consciousness. You also wouldn't hear the excuses that kalani and Chloe were yammering on about, i.e., working with new groups, old groups, new material, etc. Maddie appears to have kept up with dancing in addition to developing her acting. 

Its interesting, some people predicted that  Chloe and nia would go back to high school and a prestigious college, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm a little surprised about that. They were well spoken children but as teens they don't present as anything other than average. 

I think the last hope might be the little ones or Brynn if she gets proper training. It must be nerve wracking for the parents of the older ones to see this ending and not knowing what's next. 

• Love 1

I would be surprised if Maddie hasn't been offered a spot on a disney show. She's more "famous" than the average lead they cast on disney so I would assume she turned a part down but who knows. Disney seems like the way to go based on the careers of many others (miley, selena, ariana, etc) although I think the one thing Maddie doesn't do is sing not that auto tune can't fix that problem.

When does the Sia movie come out where she plays an autistic teen? Depending on how that movie does, it can be a good start to her acting career ( see Leonardo Dicaprio in What's eating Gilbert Grape)

50 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I would be surprised if Maddie hasn't been offered a spot on a disney show. She's more "famous" than the average lead they cast on disney so I would assume she turned a part down but who knows. Disney seems like the way to go based on the careers of many others (miley, selena, ariana, etc) although I think the one thing Maddie doesn't do is sing not that auto tune can't fix that problem.

When does the Sia movie come out where she plays an autistic teen? Depending on how that movie does, it can be a good start to her acting career ( see Leonardo Dicaprio in What's eating Gilbert Grape)

I think they're filming the movie right now so probably next year.

• Love 1
On 10/12/2017 at 2:07 PM, Lemons said:

I think they're filming the movie right now so probably next year.

Good luck to Maddie and I hope she proves me wrong but I have severe reservations about her playing an autistic teen.  What Maddie has mostly been asked to do up until now is to act "crazy" in Sia videos which isn't remotely the same as playing autistic. 

• Love 2

Yeah, it sure sounds like Asia can actually sing.  Mackenzie, not so much.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, RedFire2000 said:

Elliana booked a leading role as Gracie in a musical called Dancing Divas Nutcracker Off-Broadway. Congrats Elli!

Aww, she looks adorable!  I can't help but love her.  Her mom is a kooky mess, but I think Ellie seems very cute & cheery.  Same with Lilliana - what a little doll :)  I hope these girls don't turn into the entitled brats that make up the Elite team.

• Love 4

Chloe, Kalani, Kendall and Nia, as well as their mothers, are going on tour around the states.  Camryn revealed on a livestream when asked about the tour that she wasn't invited. Ashlee was right about them wanting to get rid of Camryn and Camille. 

Edited by WildFlower87
  • Love 2