Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Darknight said:

I think Abby and Melissa thought the show would make Maddie famous. Maddie was very arrogant during the 1st season. I want to win. Winning is everything. I think I'm better than everyone. It made her look bad

I agree with you on this---it was very evident from the beginning that Melissa wanted this show to make Maddie famous; which is ironic now with Abby's admission about wishing she was moving on and taking them with her versus them moving on and now taking Abby with her. 

1 hour ago, Rightbackatya said:

Well winning was everything to her (as it should be-- why do any of this if you don't intend to win?), and despite the "arrogance" the show and subsequently Chandelier did make her famous, even more so than Chloe. I think it's hilarious that Chloe's fans are still so bitter about that.

People often say that Maddie thinks she's better than everyone, but I've never found a clip or scene of her saying that ever-- and I really have been looking. I think people who don't have as much success as Maddie tend to project that onto her. 

I have a very competitive older child who is a lot like Maddie---driven, passionate, determined and perfectionistic---but even then, there is still a balance I have never felt Maddie has or has had. Desiring to win is a good thing---it means you're competitive, but desiring to win even if it meant stepping all over people is a little more extreme than I like. Also, in comparison to her age and talent, she's not THAT good of a dancer...without a face that emote emotion, she wouldn't be who is she today. She can thank her genetic far more than her dance skills.

I'm also not bitter about Chandelier, I actually thought Maddie's acting was perfect for it. 

10 minutes ago, hellohoping said:

I always loved Maddie's confidence in season 1. It's not arrogant to want to win. Nor do I think it came off as arrogant when she quite fairly and quite sweetly (imo) would observe 'I think I'm going to win this one'. Despite how young she was I found that quite an inspiring and admirable quality. 

I think it's strange that fans of Chloe want to insist with such determination that she's as good, that she's as famous, that she's as popular etc. In terms of ability the girls started exactly the same, no doubt about it, but Chloe's passion dissolved through the show and in her last season there was no comparing the two anymore; they just weren't on the same level. I watch Chloe's channel and still think the same if I'm honest, though she's definitely improved immensely since getting her passion back. As for being 'more' famous, I think it's quite clear there are no comparisons there either. Maddie is known in the world outside of Dance Moms, whereas currently Chloe is not really. People know Maddie Ziegler's name who have never watched or heard of the show. Chloe is of course popular - fans of the show love her and that's proved by her TCA, but I can't see her dancing on the Grammys or Ellen Show at any point in the near future. 

I have never been a Maddie fan---overrated is how I would have described her in Season 1. Season 2 is when I actually thought the arrogance got bad and in the past season or so she's just shown to be over it. As for Chloe's passion---that's an interesting beat and one you can't compare. While the world and Abby lifted Maddie up, quite the opposite was happening to Chloe so for her to stick it out as long as she did was telling. 

I think the girl's are taking two different routes to being 'famous' and while I would agree that Maddie is more well known, I think it'll be Chloe who has the longer staying power. Sadly for Maddie, I see her tumbling down a slipper slope like most child stars do. She lacks the support and foundation, imo, and I blame Melissa 100%.

• Love 7

Well I think that Chloe and her mother would LOVE for her to be on Maddie's career track right now. There's no way that anyone can convince me that a family that is clearly seeking fame would rather: do background bit movie parts and get random internet magazine spreads over acting in movies with Oscar worthy actors, starring in prime-time tv shows and specials, modeling in huge well known magazines and generally being featured all over the place. It may be true that Chloe's background career may outlast Maddie's current spotlight one; but in the future which will be more fondly reflected upon? People still remember famous people that burned brightly and flamed out (I am NOT suggesting that Maddie will ever get this big; simply using it as a comparison) but who remembers that D-list actor that has had a 30 year career starring in made for tv movies? No one. You can bet that any one of these actors that star in Lifetime movies would give their right leg and their "long" careers for just one chance to shine on the big screen. 

I don't know why people seem to canonize Chloe but it drives me crazy. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Tasya said:

Well I think that Chloe and her mother would LOVE for her to be on Maddie's career track right now. There's no way that anyone can convince me that a family that is clearly seeking fame would rather: do background bit movie parts and get random internet magazine spreads over acting in movies with Oscar worthy actors, starring in prime-time tv shows and specials, modeling in huge well known magazines and generally being featured all over the place. It may be true that Chloe's background career may outlast Maddie's current spotlight one; but in the future which will be more fondly reflected upon? People still remember famous people that burned brightly and flamed out (I am NOT suggesting that Maddie will ever get this big; simply using it as a comparison) but who remembers that D-list actor that has had a 30 year career starring in made for tv movies? No one. You can bet that any one of these actors that star in Lifetime movies would give their right leg and their "long" careers for just one chance to shine on the big screen. 

I don't know why people seem to canonize Chloe but it drives me crazy. 

I agree.   I'm not really a Maddie fan and I've never really had any feelings of dislike towards Chloe, but the way Chloe supporters are about her and how her and Christi (who is just as much of a fame monger as Melissa, she just wasn't as good at it) can do no wrong drives me nuts.   The double standard blows my mind! 

So Chloe can homeschool and have an apartment in LA to chase fame, but Maddie can't?  Plus everything Maddie does Chloe always seems to be out there trying to do the same thing (only in a much lamer way) - Maddie does Sia videos, Chloe does several B/C/D list artist videos that no one ever heard of; Maddie does this big screen movie, Chloe does some Lifetime movies - have you seen the acting in some of the recent lifetime movies??  Maddie does photo shoots for Elle and Vogue, Chloe models for some internet magazine that no one ever heard of and does dancewear catalogs, etc.  

And as far as dance ability - I don't think it's even been close since season 2.   I actually think Chloe peaked dance-wise w/ her "Dream on a Star" solo in season 1.  She may have gotten better since, but back then was when she was the best in relation to her same age peers.   That was a great solo.

• Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

I agree.   I'm not really a Maddie fan and I've never really had any feelings of dislike towards Chloe, but the way Chloe supporters are about her and how her and Christi (who is just as much of a fame monger as Melissa, she just wasn't as good at it) can do no wrong drives me nuts.   The double standard blows my mind! 

So Chloe can homeschool and have an apartment in LA to chase fame, but Maddie can't?  Plus everything Maddie does Chloe always seems to be out there trying to do the same thing (only in a much lamer way) - Maddie does Sia videos, Chloe does several B/C/D list artist videos that no one ever heard of; Maddie does this big screen movie, Chloe does some Lifetime movies - have you seen the acting in some of the recent lifetime movies??  Maddie does photo shoots for Elle and Vogue, Chloe models for some internet magazine that no one ever heard of and does dancewear catalogs, etc.  

And as far as dance ability - I don't think it's even been close since season 2.   I actually think Chloe peaked dance-wise w/ her "Dream on a Star" solo in season 1.  She may have gotten better since, but back then was when she was the best in relation to her same age peers.   That was a great solo.

Yes, I agree with all of this.

Really what's happening with Chloe is quite odd. I never saw her as the child that would go out into the world with dreams of stardom. I saw her more as the normal child who was a good dancer, occasionally overlooked (but not really!), who would enjoy this hobby and thrive in it for a time and then go and take her exams and go to college. Isn't that why people were mad for her, because she was so sweet and normal? In a way I see this fame-seeking as more of a bitter chip-on-my-shoulder thing from both her and Christi. But hey, who knows.

Christi was always mad. Crazy, awful woman. In season 1 and 2 Chloe got all the same opportunities as Maddie and Christi really would stop at nothing to paint her out as the victim. I couldn't bear watching her hiss at her daughter, 'Abby hates you. Abby's trying to sabotage you. Abby is setting you up to fail'. What kind of parenting is that?! Even if it had been true, Christi's job as a mother was surely to say, "Abby's putting you up against this kid because she wants to push you, and she believes you're good enough to take her on."  I mean gees. Remember when she SCREAMED in front of 8-year-old crying Maddie, "how many times has my daughter BEAT your daughter?!".  Yet people put the awful woman on some pedestal!! Say what?

Chloe lacks the star quality for me, perhaps always has, although she was no doubt a darling child at the start of the show. That's why I don't predict Grammys and Vogue and Hollywood in her future. I wonder if a normal life is still something that's on the table for her, in her mind?

Edited by hellohoping
  • Love 9

Wow - such negativity on Chloe. She was always my favorite and continues to be - followed by Brynn - who in the video provided above (TY) shows the emotion seen not on DM but on her other youtube videos.

I think Chloe is quite content where she is in her life - a boyfriend, her passion for dance back and opportunities in many diverse areas. Sometimes taking little steps is better than taking that giant leap - the fall isn't at bad.

• Love 7

I have to agree with what many of you have said regarding Chloe.  In terms of "success" in the entertainment world, you can't really compare what she is doing to what Maddie is doing.  Not that what Chloe is achieving isn't commendable and great for her... they are just on different levels.  And in terms of dancing... Chloe is a great, sweet kid, but I think, objectively, it would be hard to argue that she is much more then a perhaps-slightly-higher-then-average dancer at this point.  She's always been a good turner, but even in the stylized editted youtube dance videos she posts, there is not much there in terms of dancing.  Her channel is not really even about dance anymore,  it's all "Chloe's favorite books" or "cooking with Chloe", etc. 

Don't even get me started on Christi.  The way she constantly encouraged Chloe to play the role of poor victim - instead of trying to empower her - drove me nuts. Christi loved that the underdog narrative and ran with it, she lapped it up.  

Like I said though, I do think Chloe seems like a sweet heart and I wish her the best.   She has a passionate and loyal fan base that has stayed with her from Dance Moms, and that says quite a lot. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Darknight said:

Maddie was very arrogant during the 1st season. I want to win. Winning is everything. I think I'm better than everyone. It made her look bad

Wasn't Maddie 8 years old when the show started?  I would never consider a young child to be arrogant.  It's nice to see a child confident in themselves and ambitious.  They don't have false modesty at that age and why should they? 

If we were talking about an 8 year old boy who loved football, was exceptional at it and wanted to win all the time, would he be called arrogant?

• Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, tessat said:

Wow - such negativity on Chloe. She was always my favorite and continues to be - followed by Brynn - who in the video provided above (TY) shows the emotion seen not on DM but on her other youtube videos.

I think Chloe is quite content where she is in her life - a boyfriend, her passion for dance back and opportunities in many diverse areas. Sometimes taking little steps is better than taking that giant leap - the fall isn't at bad.

Not negativity, just observations. IMO people tend to keep such observations to themselves because Chloe's fans get very defensive over any critique of her. People never "wow" at negativity towards Maddie and her dreams (at least not on here). Too often people put down Maddie to uplift Chloe when it isn't necessary. Any critique of Chloe is "negativity," but I notice it's been normalized to talk down on Maddie's looks, her dancing abilities, her future, and almost every move she makes. It drives me nuts because I'm not sure exactly what a little girl did to make so many adults angry at her, or hold something she said/did at eight years old against her. 

I actually like Chloe a lot and I think both girls will go on to do great things (and hopefully they will be friends again one day). I hate that people try to paint one child as all bad (when there's not a whole lot of evidence to support that) and one as all good because at the end of the day they're both little girls who want nothing more than to dance.

Edited by Rightbackatya
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Lemons said:

Wasn't Maddie 8 years old when the show started?  I would never consider a young child to be arrogant.  It's nice to see a child confident in themselves and ambitious.  They don't have false modesty at that age and why should they? 

If we were talking about an 8 year old boy who loved football, was exceptional at it and wanted to win all the time, would he be called arrogant?

Absolutely! I have a child in this age group; they can absolutely, without question be arrogant.

Also, I wanted to point out, my intent was not originally to pit the girl's against each other---I was surprised by a person's negativity towards Chloe and simply wanted to point out, at the point when Chloe left the show, she was the fan favorite. I do wish the best for both; I'm not fond of Maddie and I can't stand Melissa, but I by no means want to see her fail. When thinking about my favorite Dance Mom---I actually loved Christi so loving Chloe wasn't hard to do. 

• Love 5
(edited)

In general I think there is this weird idea that any kid that pursues a career in the industry must be after fame or doing it for the wrong reasons.  Yes, I get that is the assumption because all of these girls started out on reality tv and because of their moms, but there is nothing fundamentally wrong with pursuing a career in the entertainment industry.  So I don't really get the ire directed at Chloe for daring to pursue a career post Dance Moms.  I've seen nothing to suggest she's not the same sweet girl she always was, whether she's pursuing a career or not.  Even the kids she's befriended in the industry all seem like good kids.  Is there a rule after you leave Dance Moms and Abby that you must not do anything else in the industry?  Is Maddie the only one allowed to try for anything?  Of course not.   

Is Chloe doing things on the same level as Maddie?  No.  Anyone saying she is is deluded.  But Chloe is also booking legit work.  Mocking Chloe for booking a Lifetime movie?  Well, yeah.  But it's a sequel to Center Stage that is a legit acting/dancing project.  She was booked in a new project with Bailee Madison, who isn't exactly an unknown actress.  So mock it all you want, but this is all real work and more along the lines of the projects that people starting out in the industry book.  Most people don't ascend to stardom the way Maddie did, practically overnight.  That is not an insult at Maddie, but real working actors have to work their way up.  Real working actors start with things like Lifetime movies and what not.  People like Taraji Henson and Jon Hamm all got their start in Lifetime projects.

I'm also not by any means suggesting Chloe is going to be some big A-list star, or comparing her to Taraji or Jon, but if she's putting in the work and going on auditions and booking things, then good for her.  That doesn't make her evil for going after something she seemingly enjoys.  Or not anymore than it makes Maddie evil.

As for Christi, whether or not she's awful, at least Chloe's career seems to be Chloe's career.  For instance, I just saw some horrible new Jojo "music" video featuring Jojo, Kendall and guess who else...Jessalyn and Jill?  Jessalyn and Jill couldn't even let Jojo have her awful music video without sticking their faces in it.

Bottom line is both girls are pursuing careers in the industry and there isn't anything wrong with that on the surface, no matter your individual perception on each girl.  Nobody knows where this road will take them, but until there is any proof that either Maddie or Chloe are spiraling out of control, I don't get the ire directed at either.  Let them both celebrate their successes.  

Edited by spanana
  • Love 12

I don't wish Chloe ill, and by mentioning her projects in comparison to Maddie's I'm not mocking them but rather just pointing out the hypocrisy that is sometimes present. Chloe's more ardent fans love to suggest that Maddie is going to be terrible or that she's a brat or that her career opportunities are somehow less legit. They will say things like "Well she wouldn't be there without the Sia video". However, would Chloe be where she was if she had not been on Dance Moms? Of course she wouldn't. Acting as if Chloe and Christi are somehow better than Maddie and Melissa because of the way her career is/has been unfolding is just silly to me. Christi was just as nasty on Dance Moms as Melissa was but Chloe's fans like to act as if she was some perfect mom. Chloe was setup to be the fan favorite by the producers with all of the underdog scenarios. Otherwise there is no way that almost every  season the "Nationals" that were chosen to be filmed as the season finale always ended with angel Chloe triumphing over devil Maddie. So the characterization of each girl can't be trusted based solely on the show. I enjoy watching Maddie dance and she sparkles in her Magazine shoots. But I don't make any guesses as to her behavior and character. That's where I feel the difference lies. Most fans of Chloe like to act as if she is this pinnacle of teenage girlhood who never does wrong. When in reality all we know of her is how she "acted" on Dance Moms.  

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Tasya said:

I don't wish Chloe ill, and by mentioning her projects in comparison to Maddie's I'm not mocking them but rather just pointing out the hypocrisy that is sometimes present. Chloe's more ardent fans love to suggest that Maddie is going to be terrible or that she's a brat or that her career opportunities are somehow less legit. They will say things like "Well she wouldn't be there without the Sia video". However, would Chloe be where she was if she had not been on Dance Moms? Of course she wouldn't. Acting as if Chloe and Christi are somehow better than Maddie and Melissa because of the way her career is/has been unfolding is just silly to me. Christi was just as nasty on Dance Moms as Melissa was but Chloe's fans like to act as if she was some perfect mom. Chloe was setup to be the fan favorite by the producers with all of the underdog scenarios. Otherwise there is no way that almost every  season the "Nationals" that were chosen to be filmed as the season finale always ended with angel Chloe triumphing over devil Maddie. So the characterization of each girl can't be trusted based solely on the show. I enjoy watching Maddie dance and she sparkles in her Magazine shoots. But I don't make any guesses as to her behavior and character. That's where I feel the difference lies. Most fans of Chloe like to act as if she is this pinnacle of teenage girlhood who never does wrong. When in reality all we know of her is how she "acted" on Dance Moms.  

This goes both ways unfortunately.  Chloe fans tear Maddie down.  Maddie fans tear Chloe down.  So I don't really get where the idea comes from that the so-called "hate" is all one direction.  I've seen Chloe called some awful, awful things by Maddie fans on the regular and vice versa.  Chloe was set up to be the underdog by production but that doesn't remotely mean the hate goes one direction.  Read any social media site and you will see both sides being disgusting. 

Also if there is more talk about Melissa and her awfulness at present than Christi it's because Christi is no longer on the show whereas we have continued to see Melissa's nastiness in our faces over the course of the last year.  I don't particularly like Christi but it's easier to have some detachment from her when we aren't forced to watch her on the regular.  Until I see Christi on my screen screeching to a mom about how her disabled son isn't as important as her daughter leaving a dance team/show, then I won't despise her as much as I do Melissa.  That has nothing to do with either Maddie or Chloe though.  That has everything to do with Melissa showing herself to be an absolutely abhorrent person though.

As for the girls themselves, nobody knows how they really are.  But by Christi taking Chloe out of Dance Moms, we aren't seeing her bratty moments because she isn't being filmed constantly.  Whereas Melissa up until recently was still allowing Maddie to be a part of the show, so her behavior was up for discussion since it was part of the show.  It's hard to discuss what we don't see with Chloe.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2
On May 17, 2016 at 9:48 AM, NextIteration said:

For the love of dance.

Why compete if you don't want to strive to be on top?  There are plenty of dance teams, companies, troupes etc that perform without competing.  That's where you will find the kids who do it for the love of dance.

7 hours ago, Lemons said:

Why compete if you don't want to strive to be on top?  There are plenty of dance teams, companies, troupes etc that perform without competing.  That's where you will find the kids who do it for the love of dance.

Of course one competes to win, but there are plenty of comp studio kids that aren't at the studio that dominates whatever market.  Competitions after all, are just one more means of performing on a stage which also comes with very useful adjudication that shows how a group can improve their performance.  They also provide an opportunity for dancers to see what other studios are doing with new choreographic styling, etc.

Our studio used to manage to win overall with ballet pieces, but often did not do well at all in tap - even though the kids loved performing their tap numbers.

• Love 1

My kids knew that they were never going to win big competitions and that they had no plans to become professional dancers.  However, they loved the experience of performing, learning the dances, and being with their friends.  Trophies don't always mean much to people. 

• Love 6

You know everyone is different and has different aspirations. I know many a person who has turned down a job promotion because they're happy doing what their doing, they like their schedule, they don't want the added headaches ect.. I'm sure that there are many D list actors that are quite content with what life has given them. I took that climb up the ladder and then the big fall when my job was eliminated - gee I wish I would have just stayed where I started as I was happy - the pay up top didn't begin to compensate the stress and workload and those I worked with on the bottom - are still employed to this day.

• Love 5
(edited)

It looks like Chloe's new role doesn't involve dance and is strictly an acting job (she's playing a goth teen, I believe--can't see her strapping on the toe shoes for that). That's pretty impressive to me that she was able to branch out from the dancer role as a lower level name (Yes, I know Maddie's big movie role is non-dancing as well). Hollywood likes their boxes, generally speaking.

Edited by taragel

Thanks for that link Nikki! It's good to see what Chloe is up to. I saw a video of her having lunch with Nia so it's good to know she still sees some of the girls.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Nikki831 said:

Chloe has a new project she is going to announce today.  This is probably it.   Teaching online dance classes.

https://ownzones.com/

For $1 per month - if she gets a thousand people who are dumb enough to pay that, that's a lease of a really nice car for her.   Eye roll.

• Love 1

Chloe is not qualified to teach dance; none of these girls are. It's a shame that a lot of little girls are going to be wasting money. I hope that they at least enroll in an actual dance school if they really want to dance and just regard Chloe's "teaching" as a novelty. 

• Love 3

I'll disagree -  teachers are previous dancers - Abby had her first competition team at the age of 14. For years now, dance teachers have used some of the better teenagers to assist in the younger children's classes.

Your saying Chloe isn't qualified to teach is just like saying that Maddie is not qualified to judge on SYTYCD. Neither are time worn professionals but they know enough to be able to get the job done.

Since many people can't afford dance classes for their children - this really is a great idea and I hope she succeeds. She's a great role model for younger children.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, tessat said:

I'll disagree -  teachers are previous dancers - Abby had her first competition team at the age of 14. For years now, dance teachers have used some of the better teenagers to assist in the younger children's classes.

Your saying Chloe isn't qualified to teach is just like saying that Maddie is not qualified to judge on SYTYCD. Neither are time worn professionals but they know enough to be able to get the job done.

Since many people can't afford dance classes for their children - this really is a great idea and I hope she succeeds. She's a great role model for younger children.

There is absolutely no way Chloe is qualified to teach a class.  Assist, yes, but not teach.  Abby probably wasn't qualified either - although I thinks she was strictly more of a choreographer at that point.

It's just a gimmick... if you go to site, there are a few dance related "lessons" (how to calm your nerves before a solo, how to stretch, etc.) - the rest includes the dance videos she's already filmed that are on youtube, and the likes of 'secrets of french braiding', 'clara's style makeover' and 'chloe's morning routine'.  It's just something for her fans to watch, no one is going to learn how to dance from this. 

I would never equate teaching to judging a reality show.  SYTYCD is entertainment and its reality television -- Maddie can comment on weather or not she liked a performance and why... its kind of openly subjective and opinion based. She isn't teaching anything to anyone.   

• Love 2
4 hours ago, tessat said:

It's not at all the same. Dance teachers need proper qualifications to teach dance. To say Chloe's not qualified is a statement of fact rather than a scoff or a put down. You'll find the odd dodgy studio where the teachers aren't qualified, because the system is not properly regulated, but those studios are considered scams and daycares by those who know anything about dance. Proper dance teachers will have trained and earned teaching qualifications. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, tessat said:

Abby was handed the studio by her mother.  In my experience, kids who are employed by their parents are usually extraordinarily incompetent.  Abby is no exception.

That being said, I think everyone would know what they're getting with "training" from Chloe.  And I think Chloe is probably qualified to demonstrate the proper technique for various "positions", etc.  I seriously doubt anyone is dropping out of their current dance studio just to take online "lessons" from Chloe.  

It is what it is.  I don't find it that scandalous one way or the other.

• Love 2

I find it greedy being that she's charging her gullible fans $1 a month (when added up in mass equates to a lot of money for her) for info/demonstations easily found for free on the interent (and most of the time the free videos are done by those w/ a lot more qualifications than Chloe).

Just another way for Christi to turn Chloe's popularity into income. 

4 hours ago, hellohoping said:

It's not at all the same. Dance teachers need proper qualifications to teach dance. To say Chloe's not qualified is a statement of fact rather than a scoff or a put down. You'll find the odd dodgy studio where the teachers aren't qualified, because the system is not properly regulated, but those studios are considered scams and daycares by those who know anything about dance. Proper dance teachers will have trained and earned teaching qualifications. 

Exactly; anyone can judge a reality TV competition like SYTYCD. It's about your favorite dancer; not the most talented etc. Jason Derulo has no idea what the vast majority of the dance moves are for the classically trained dancers but he's a judge. It's all subjective because the judging is based upon whether or not you liked the routine, whether or not you felt the person succeeded in conveying the character etc. It would be different if she was judging a serious competition that has specific rules and criteria. 

When someone tells me that they are "teaching" something, then I expect that they have all the relevant knowledge in whatever the subject is. However, I realize that many of the kids that do that site won't/don't care. That's why I said that I hope that they are doing it for fun, which hey it's a $1 a month, if their parents want to spend it, go ahead. But there are some silly young kids out there who I could see saying that they trained under Chloe and who would possibly not seek training elsewhere. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

I find it greedy being that she's charging her gullible fans $1 a month (when added up in mass equates to a lot of money for her) for info/demonstations easily found for free on the interent (and most of the time the free videos are done by those w/ a lot more qualifications than Chloe).

Just another way for Christi to turn Chloe's popularity into income. 

If people are willing to pay for demonstrations from her (as opposed to random free ones online), why shouldn't she make some money off it? It doesn't look like she's claiming to be anything she's not, everyone knows her experience level and any one who cares about the $1 a month can search the internet for free videos themselves. It's not greedy to try and make money off what she is doing. That's just business.

I agree she's not qualified to really teach, but I don't think the people who are paying care. Anyone who really wants to learn to dance is going to go to a real school and pay a lot more.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

If people are willing to pay for demonstrations from her (as opposed to random free ones online), why shouldn't she make some money off it? It doesn't look like she's claiming to be anything she's not, everyone knows her experience level and any one who cares about the $1 a month can search the internet for free videos themselves. It's not greedy to try and make money off what she is doing. That's just business.

I agree she's not qualified to really teach, but I don't think the people who are paying care. Anyone who really wants to learn to dance is going to go to a real school and pay a lot more.

Yes I agree with this. I was trying to think of how to word it, so thanks! I think it's harsh to say someone is greedy for charging money for something. As you say, it's business. It's life. If Chloe was not a celebrity, but made an app that charges, you'd say 'wow, go her, how entrepreneurial'. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, hellohoping said:

Yes I agree with this. I was trying to think of how to word it, so thanks! I think it's harsh to say someone is greedy for charging money for something. As you say, it's business. It's life. If Chloe was not a celebrity, but made an app that charges, you'd say 'wow, go her, how entrepreneurial'. 

Agreed.  If her fans want to pay her $1 a month to demonstrate moves in Just For Kix (and many other) type demonstration clips, I wouldn't call that greedy.  I would call the fans that do it a little silly though.  Because there are all the Just For Kix clips (and many others) out there for free on YouTube.  Is she still modeling for Just For Kix?  I would think that she'd be precluded from doing something like this if she is.

Maybe greedy wasn't as good of a word - more like exploitive.  Basically taking advantage of how all these little girls worship Chloe and would pay her $1 a month for something they can get for free.

It may be a business, but I side eye most "businesses" that sell their customers things that they can get for free.

Almost like if Verizon tried to charge me $1 a month for access to a web site where I could post about and discuss current TV shows with others on the Internet ;).

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:11 PM, Alapaki said:

Abby was handed the studio by her mother.  In my experience, kids who are employed by their parents are usually extraordinarily incompetent.  Abby is no exception.

And I think Chloe is probably qualified to demonstrate the proper technique for various "positions", etc.   

Since Chloe was taught various "positions" from Abbie and was there until she was about 13, how could Chloe be qualified to teach those same positions?  If Abby was incompetent then Chloe is in no position to re-teach what she was taught by Abbie. 

19 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

It's not greedy to try and make money off what she is doing. That's just business.

It is just business.  But I thought Chloe was the "normal" one who was going to get an education first, then go into business.

19 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Since Chloe was taught various "positions" from Abbie and was there until she was about 13, how could Chloe be qualified to teach those same positions?  If Abby was incompetent then Chloe is in no position to re-teach what she was taught by Abbie. 

It is just business.  But I thought Chloe was the "normal" one who was going to get an education first, then go into business.

Chloe was also taught outside of AMDC, as I understand it.  I've never labeled Chloe as "normal" or otherwise.  I don't have a problem with her trying to monetize her talents.  Even after whatever she's been paid to be on Dance Moms, Lifetime and frauds like Abby make a fuck-ton more off of her dancing than she has.

5 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Chloe was also taught outside of AMDC, as I understand it.  I've never labeled Chloe as "normal" or otherwise.  I don't have a problem with her trying to monetize her talents.  Even after whatever she's been paid to be on Dance Moms, Lifetime and frauds like Abby make a fuck-ton more off of her dancing than she has.

Chloe had her early training all the way up to about 13 years old at Abby's.  I guess she's been somewhere else for a couple of years?  So she received  her dance foundation at Abby's. 

I know you didn't say Chloe was "normal" but her fans have always tried to set Chloe apart from Maddie, etc, but Chloe is apparently putting as much effort into her career as the rest of them. 

It's too bad Chloe isn't furthering her education either academically or dance training.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lemons said:

Chloe had her early training all the way up to about 13 years old at Abby's.  I guess she's been somewhere else for a couple of years?  So she received  her dance foundation at Abby's. 

I know you didn't say Chloe was "normal" but her fans have always tried to set Chloe apart from Maddie, etc, but Chloe is apparently putting as much effort into her career as the rest of them. 

It's too bad Chloe isn't furthering her education either academically or dance training.

Fame is addictive.

• Love 2
On 5/26/2016 at 11:00 PM, KaveDweller said:

I agree with all of this. 

4 hours ago, Lemons said:

I doubt Chloe has dropped out of school and is likely attached to some dance studio somewhere, but I don't see why it's a fault to push forward with the career she wants? She's come a long way from the girl who wanted to be a Rockette---her path may be different from the other girl's, but if it's working then why should she focus elswhere? 

• Love 2
On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Nikki831 said:

Chloe has a new project she is going to announce today.  This is probably it.   Teaching online dance classes.

https://ownzones.com/

Thus is funny. Anything for more money. I'll watch Shannon Mather on YouTube for free. 

5 hours ago, Lemons said:

Some one said she goes to online school. As for dance training, she isn't serious about it. None of the girls are. 

Wow - know I'm going to get flamed already but too bad. Chloe " teaching " basic dance moves is no different than myself " tutoring math" during the summer when I was a kid. I was paid a weekly fee to sit down for an hour 3 days a week and " tutor " a younger child who was doing poorly in math. I didn't per se have the qualifications of a teacher but I did "teach" the child the concept of multiplication and division so they did better the next year in class. I think many are taking things and making more of a big deal out of it than what it is.

Chloe does know how to dance - she can demonstrate the moves she knows and others can follow along. For a $1 a month - if the parent chooses to pay - the child is learning something from someone they are a fan off at a pretty cheap cost. Sure they could go to youtube and see the same demonstration from someone else for free - but if they are a fan of Chloe and it makes the child happy - who are we to say they are wrong to pay that money.

I do not think anyone is that delusional to think these internet classes are going to make them a star just as if they watched the FREE youtube videos but   there is some merit to it. The child is happy, a parent can see whether the child takes to it and it's worth enrolling them in "real" classes which are expensive or the child is just learning something for the fun of it which may come into use in the future. I'd rather have my child watching that type of video and exercising rather than sitting with a snack watching a movie or playing video games.

I know many of you are seriously involved in dance, more so than I ever was and we know this is a reality show and there are many better dancers out there than Maddie or Chloe, but you're comparing apples and oranges many times when discussing this show, the dancers ect - because it is just a reality TV program and most of the fans are not trained professional dancers or hoping to be - because to them - this is a joke.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Lemons said:

Chloe had her early training all the way up to about 13 years old at Abby's.

i hesitated to comment about this yesterday but I'm not going to let it go a second time.  None of the girls, even the original girls were at a level where they worked with Abby very much, she worked with the older teams.  They were in tech classes and and someone lower on the chain did their competitive pieces.  On the show, from the start, Abby was merely cleaning choreography and generally not teaching any of it, Gianna has been all along.

• Love 5

Also, while YT is free for the viewer to watch, I'm sure Chloe's account is monetized and is another source of income. For $1 a month, you can rewatch as many videos as you want without ads; not much different than the $4.99 I pay Pandora a month to avoid ads. 

• Love 1

Re: Preview of the show: Well there's one more reason not to watch SYTYCD as it goes through its final death throes. Put a fork in the show.  It's done after (or maybe during) this season.  DWTS is now pretty much the only show on TV where adults get to dance ballroom.

• Love 1
On May 28, 2016 at 7:48 AM, NextIteration said:

i hesitated to comment about this yesterday but I'm not going to let it go a second time.  None of the girls, even the original girls were at a level where they worked with Abby very much, she worked with the older teams.  They were in tech classes and and someone lower on the chain did their competitive pieces.  On the show, from the start, Abby was merely cleaning choreography and generally not teaching any of it, Gianna has been all along.

ok, so Chloe got her dance foundation at the Abbie Lee Dance School, is that right? With teachers hired and some trained by Abby.  Im not sure how that's any better.  Or worse.