Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: Emotional Proximity (2)

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

The second part of the Chicago franchise crossover on March 1st. This will air at 9:00 p.m. instead of 10:00 p.m., with Chicago Justice taking CPD's usual slot:

Olinsky's daughter remains in critical condition following a massive fire - leaving Intelligence on edge, but more determined than ever to track down the suspect. Voight opens up the case, knowing that he has Stone and his team's full support in the investigation, and all of Firehouse 51 behind him to examine potential origins of the fire. Intelligence works to connect the dots between the building owner, those who were inside, and a string of potential suspects.

So... Voight let Ruzek back in to take Rixton's spot just like that?  No explanation, no mention of it whatsoever?  It seemed like this episode just fit right in with the whole season and wasn't supposed to be treated as a one-off or anything different, so why no mention of why Ruzek is back and sitting at Antonio's desk?  Hmm... oh well...

Otherwise, this episode was great.  Gratuitous car hood slide and all.  

I know I'm in the minority, but I like when they take just a minute or two to really show the human and personal sides of the characters, and except for Olinsky, that was lacking.  A major tragedy like this would have shaken all of them, and I don't think it would have been too much to let them all have a moment.  Erin moving Lexi's photo to the other board was some good acting by Sophia though.  And of course Elias Koteas nailed it in all of his scenes.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

So... Voight let Ruzek back in to take Rixton's spot just like that?  No explanation, no mention of it whatsoever?  It seemed like this episode just fit right in with the whole season and wasn't supposed to be treated as a one-off or anything different, so why no mention of why Ruzek is back and sitting at Antonio's desk?  Hmm... oh well...

Yeah, I commented late about last week's episode: 

Not believable at all to me that Ruzek went undercover without Voight's knowledge, let alone blessing, and then just reappears. 

The Chicagos are just lackadaisical when it comes to people taking off--in Fire this week, the chief's admin went on vacation unbeknownst to the chief. Sure, why not.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

So serious, so sad with Olinski's daughter. The scenes with his ex (I guess she's an ex?) and him were very moving. 

The only thing that bugged me about this episode was that I was about a third of the way in before I figured out that this was Olinski's original daughter not his prison daughter.

Also Voight telling that DA guy that he needed to have warrants ready made me laugh and laugh and laugh.

• Love 3

We last saw Michelle in episode 3.08 (and yes, he did throw away the envelope with the test results without having a look). Looks as if the show has forgotten about her existence and I'm okay with that. But Lexi's death may change that.

7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

What happened to Al's "maybe" daughter. He didn't look at the paternity tests results, if I remember correctly.

It's hiding out the back in the bucket labelled....'dropped storylines'....along with Antonio's gym, Atwater's Poker Night, Lindsay's drug addiction.....

• Love 6

Except for Ruzek just being magically back in the unit, this was actually a really decent crossover.  SOOO much better than when they try to jam L&O SVU in there and it makes no sense.  They did a good job with this one.

2 hours ago, Guildford said:

It's hiding out the back in the bucket labelled....'dropped storylines'....along with Antonio's gym, Atwater's Poker Night, Lindsay's drug addiction.....

Lindsay's drug addiction was resolved.  Voight gave her weekly drug tests and made her live with him for a while.  Once he was able to trust that she was clean again, he let her move back into her place.  Remember the couch episode?

3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

We last saw Michelle in episode 3.08 (and yes, he did throw away the envelope with the test results without having a look). Looks as if the show has forgotten about her existence and I'm okay with that. But Lexi's death may change that.

Did we last see her living with Ruzek??  So weird....

• Love 1
(edited)

Being a bit nit-picky w/suspending disbelief, I know it was done for good film  visuals, but  normally in a fire of that magnitude, the CTA would shut down the EL trains being so close to the tracks.

Also, Detective Halstead  shot and killed a suspect - yet soon after her was out interviewing the nosy neighbor w/attitude and then later searching arsonists apartment.

In the real Chicago PD world, he would be on desk duty for 30 days while the shooting was being investigated by IA

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, sheetmoss said:

Also, Detective Halstead  shot and killed a suspect - yet soon after her was out interviewing the nosy neighbor w/attitude and then later searching arsonists apartment.

In the real Chicago PD world, he would be on desk duty for 30 days while the shooting was being investigated by IA

They shoot people on a weekly basis though.  So while yes, I agree with you about what should happen in reality, we're in Voight's world here.  At least the suspect did fire at police and also shot a bystander.  IA would probably find that justifiable, so I think we just skip over all those parts and fast forward time.

Didn't Ruzek shoot and kill someone on his first day or week on the job?  And then he went to his engagement party like nothing happened.

3 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

They shoot people on a weekly basis though.  So while yes, I agree with you about what should happen in reality, we're in Voight's world here.  At least the suspect did fire at police and also shot a bystander.  IA would probably find that justifiable, so I think we just skip over all those parts and fast forward time.

Didn't Ruzek shoot and kill someone on his first day or week on the job?  And then he went to his engagement party like nothing happened.

Ruzek was made to do counselling though...so they did at least try back then to make it semi believable. But with all the shootings that this mob do if they followed the rules all we would see was everyone sitting around at their desks twidling their thumbs

• Love 1
On 2017-03-02 at 9:52 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Otherwise, this episode was great.  Gratuitous car hood slide and all.  

I know I'm in the minority, but I like when they take just a minute or two to really show the human and personal sides of the characters, and except for Olinsky, that was lacking.  A major tragedy like this would have shaken all of them, and I don't think it would have been too much to let them all have a moment.  Erin moving Lexi's photo to the other board was some good acting by Sophia though.  And of course Elias Koteas nailed it in all of his scenes.

I believe last week Voight told Ruzek that when a position came open, he'd be considered for it. When Kenny left, I just assumed this was done off-screen. He was the only obvious choice.

On 3/3/2017 at 1:41 PM, sheetmoss said:

he CTA would shut down the EL trains being so close to the tracks.

I asked that question in the Fire forum. It seemed really odd to me that the EL would be running just outside a major fire that threatened to take out the entire building. 

9 hours ago, BlueJayFan said:

I believe last week Voight told Ruzek that when a position came open, he'd be considered for it. When Kenny left, I just assumed this was done off-screen. He was the only obvious choice.

Never been a fan of Ruzek and was not pleased RIxton just walked away to clear the way for him to return. I think rixton was a better fit and certainly a better actor. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎03‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 10:58 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Lindsay's drug addiction was resolved.  Voight gave her weekly drug tests and made her live with him for a while.  Once he was able to trust that she was clean again, he let her move back into her place.  Remember the couch episode?

The story might have been resolved on the show but in truth, addiction is never resolved and I cringe a little each time they show Lindsay with alcohol. She didn't just have a drug problem, she also had a drinking problem and I think, once they decided to make her go down that route, they should have gone "all in" and then also have her deal with the drinking afterwards.

Anyway, on to the episode - this is like the third person who was close to someone died. Nadia in S2, Justin in S3, now Lexi. I didn't think it was necessary to have Lexi die, the case was bad enough without it getting that personal for everyone.

I agree, it was great acting on Koteas' part (and it was yet another depressing story for poor Olinsky). I also think the scene when Lindsay moved the photo was great and I thought that Marina Squerciati did some great acting, too, when she gave the update right after they learned that Olinsky's daughter had passed away.

I found the way they handled the arsonist a bit unrealistic. Voight had no problem getting very phsyical with the first suspect they had and yet, the guy who actually did it was threatened with a knife and nothing happened. I'm not suggesting Voight should have injured him but I felt that he pulled the knife too soon and spent too much time not using it for it to be credible that he would. I prefer if he had been his usual self. Who cares if the guy had had a black eye in court? He resisted arrest, too bad. I don't think that anyone in Intelligence would have said otherwise and Voight has certainly never cared before. So, it seems a bit too convenient for Justice that they didn't have to deal with a physically harmed perp who killed the daughter of another officer.

I also wish they would have blended the shows more - I liked how the Med characters were incorporated, that is my favorite kind of crossover, when you can't really tell that it's one because it seems natural and organic. I guess, it's hard to keep the fire characters in after the fire, but I think that they could have combined PD and Justice better.

I loved the scene with the Chief or Superindendent or whoever he was. The guy who told Voight that they have assembled a task force but he wanted Voight to run the investigation (what exactly was the task force doing? ;-)) It kind of felt rather real - the brass is probably less than pleased with Voight in general because of his methods and cops like him are smearing the PD's reputation. Yet, when the job needs to get done and they need to punish someone as cruel and the city is watching, they put Voight on it, because they know he'll get it done. And if the perp happens to get killed while being arrested, no one would shed a tear.

Regarding Ruzek - not only did he come back, he was also interviewing someone with Burgess. I'm not a fan of the couple but I feel that we would have needed an episode in between that would have dealt with Ruzek coming back and Burgess and Ruzek clearing the air between them.

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

The story might have been resolved on the show but in truth, addiction is never resolved and I cringe a little each time they show Lindsay with alcohol. She didn't just have a drug problem, she also had a drinking problem and I think, once they decided to make her go down that route, they should have gone "all in" and then also have her deal with the drinking afterwards.

That was more my point...not that she had the addiction but more that two episodes into season 3 she's had two counselling sessions one of them in a bar...seriously WTF and then it's done and dusted. She is still knocking back shots & drinks like always. It made a mockery of drug & alcohol addiction and now it's just completely forgotten. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Regarding Ruzek - not only did he come back, he was also interviewing someone with Burgess. I'm not a fan of the couple but I feel that we would have needed an episode in between that would have dealt with Ruzek coming back and Burgess and Ruzek clearing the air between them.

Edited 8 hours ago by CheshireCat.

What? The 30 seconds at the end of the previous episode that ended in a kiss wasn't enough for you? ?

9 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

The thing that probably bugged me the most about Ruzek was the scene where they broke down the door and arrested the friend of the first suspect. Not only was he leading the way but he was calling the shots and ordering around other officers. Even though he is probably the least experienced cop on the show.

• Love 3

As soon as Al's daughter was found, I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Watching it all play out was heartbreaking.....and made me want revenge on the evil who did it. Never had I wanted Voight to take someone to the silos so badly! Great acting by Elias in particular. He brought it.

• Love 2

This was stupid when it was Justin.

If the show really wanted to deliver a punch, they'd kill a regular character.  Like Ruzek.  Killing off a family member of one of the detectives (again) is just dumb.

• Love 1
On 05/03/2017 at 3:37 AM, Guildford said:

That was more my point...not that she had the addiction but more that two episodes into season 3 she's had two counselling sessions one of them in a bar...seriously WTF and then it's done and dusted. She is still knocking back shots & drinks like always. It made a mockery of drug & alcohol addiction and now it's just completely forgotten. 

With all the things that this show (and the whole Chicago franchise) likes to forget about characters I am totally ok with them writing that part of Erin's life as just the mother of all benders rather than an addiction thing. Don't really need to see Sophia Bush going to meetings and drinking water with a lime in it at Mollys since i dont think it would work with the show. I also don't really have faith in the show to do it well, and while I like Sophia Bush i don't think she has the acting chops.  

On 3/6/2017 at 5:51 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

With all the things that this show (and the whole Chicago franchise) likes to forget about characters I am totally ok with them writing that part of Erin's life as just the mother of all benders rather than an addiction thing.

That's actually exactly how I saw it. I know she has a past, but I don't see her as an addict. She's supposedly been clean for 15 years anyway, even if she was a teenage addict, though I still doubt that. Bunny is an addict, and Erin saw how it ruined her life.  And I don't know much about drugs, but I don't think a person needs rehab if it was just a bender and they can control themselves by quitting before getting addicted. 

On ‎05‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 3:37 AM, Guildford said:

To be fair, she did say that counselling wasn't for her, so it weren't really counselling sessions.

I don't know how much of how they dealt with Lindsay was a conscious choice and how much just happened but I don't think it can be seen as a mockery or insult. I can easily see how it can be but I think they're doing it more out of convenience than because they want to make a mockery out of addiction. They went there with Lindsay because it fit the story and I think the way they went there was good, then they didn't want to to follow it through all the way with the recovery, probably because it would have gone far beyond what they were willing to show. If they had followed it through further, it would have taken a lot more time and it would have taken up a lot more time of the show.

Sophia Bush also said that the talk between her and the drug lord in the S3 premiere was a lot longer than it was. Would have loved to see it.

Anyway, I think in regards to addiction, there are few shows which really do it realistically and do it realistically all the way through. I wish they would, but I'm not getting upset that they're not.

14 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

That's actually exactly how I saw it. I know she has a past, but I don't see her as an addict. She's supposedly been clean for 15 years anyway, even if she was a teenage addict, though I still doubt that. Bunny is an addict, and Erin saw how it ruined her life.  And I don't know much about drugs, but I don't think a person needs rehab if it was just a bender and they can control themselves by quitting before getting addicted. 

Once an addict, always an addict. I'm also pretty sure they were hinting that she had withdrawal symptoms when she was mentioning the marathon headaches to Voight in episode 2 of S3.

Unfortunately, many children of addicts become addicts themselves (or they become the opposite), even if they're well aware of the consequences. But due to the way they had to grow up, they can't have a healthy and responsible "relationship" with alcohol/drugs.

2 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Once an addict, always an addict. I'm also pretty sure they were hinting that she had withdrawal symptoms when she was mentioning the marathon headaches to Voight in episode 2 of S3.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because I don't think she is/was an addict.  I saw it as just a bender, which I believe people can do without being addicts.  And everyone has withdrawal symptoms even after just one night of drinking - it's a hangover.  I also don't think that's necessarily an indication of addiction.  A hangover can last several days if the night of drinking is bad enough!  It's called "middle age." ;-)  

3 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because I don't think she is/was an addict.  I saw it as just a bender, which I believe people can do without being addicts.  And everyone has withdrawal symptoms even after just one night of drinking - it's a hangover.  I also don't think that's necessarily an indication of addiction.  A hangover can last several days if the night of drinking is bad enough!  It's called "middle age." ;-)  

They have given few clues as to Lindsay's past but Voight did mention in the S1 finale that that guy from Lindsay's past (am currently not remembering the name) got Lindsay hooked on dope. I took the word "hooked" to mean that she was addicted.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

They have given few clues as to Lindsay's past but Voight did mention in the S1 finale that that guy from Lindsay's past (am currently not remembering the name) got Lindsay hooked on dope. I took the word "hooked" to mean that she was addicted.

That is what it means, and I think it was well established that Lindsay is indeed an addict or Voight would not have stepped in to help her detox. If she was just doing benders, there'd be no need to babysit as she is an adult. Not to mention her job being put on the line. Addiction is another animal entirely. Add in Bunny and I think it can easily be inferred that Erin followed in her footsteps where being an addict is concerned.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Ah, I guess I forgot that part.  But I still think she had to have been clean for the 15 years since she lived with Hank?  Or at least the majority of those.  And the stories she told Jay about her high school seemed to reveal that she had cleaned up her act to stay in that private school.  Maybe Charlie (I think that was his name?) got her hooked after high school though.  

Hmm... a lot of inconsistencies in her backstory, quite frankly.  I can see how there would be several interpretations, but I see the addict theory now.

...If she was just doing benders, there'd be no need to babysit as she is an adult. Not to mention her job being put on the line...

Not necessarily - Voight is concerned about both Erin and her job since it's his department.  So I think he would babysit her, whether it be just a bender or an addiction relapse.  He can't keep her in her job if she's not sober, and I think that's also why he told Jay to always have her back.

I don't want to see the whole addiction SL either, mainly because we get far too much of her character anyway. My issue is that barely a week or so later she's back at Molly's drinking. While they didn't have to go down the whole rehab/counselling/another major lindsay drama would it have hurt to have her say....'no thanks, I'm staying away from that for a while.' At least make an effort if you are going to put that much time & energy into a Storyline.

Not a big thing to do & would have been far more palatable conclusion to just sweeping it under the carpet, but then again that's what these writers tend to do.

• Love 2
On 3/4/2017 at 11:36 PM, CheshireCat said:

Anyway, on to the episode - this is like the third person who was close to someone died. Nadia in S2, Justin in S3, now Lexi. I didn't think it was necessary to have Lexi die, the case was bad enough without it getting that personal for everyone.

4th person, actually. Platt's dad was murdered after Justin. Platt was attacked too, but her quick thinking got the guy to run away instead of shooting her. Voight talked her down when she wanted to kill her dad's murderer.

I assumed Lexi died (at least in part) to make Al equal to/bond even more with Voight.  They're both old school cops who understand each other's thinking, and now they both understand what it feels like to lose a child to violence. Makes me wonder if Voight is going to intervene in something Al does in the future, or if Al will cover for Voight (grief-stricken father empathy) if the 'Justin's killer disappeared' storyline re-emerges due to new evidence. 

Edited by Bringonthedrama
23 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

...if the 'Justin's killer disappeared' storyline re-emerges due to new evidence. 

This has to come back at some point, doesn't it?  Right?  I mean... right?  Voight kills a guy and Lindsay moves the body, and several other people know *something* but aren't sure what they know...  But, it was just dropped so abruptly.  So odd.  I think they have to revisit it eventually for closure.

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

This has to come back at some point, doesn't it?  Right?  I mean... right?  Voight kills a guy and Lindsay moves the body, and several other people know *something* but aren't sure what they know...  But, it was just dropped so abruptly.  So odd.  I think they have to revisit it eventually for closure.

No statue of limitations. It leaves an out point for a series finale assuming NBC lets them know ahead of time that it is coming

On 3/10/2017 at 10:46 PM, Raja said:

No statue of limitations. It leaves an out point for a series finale assuming NBC lets them know ahead of time that it is coming

Good point.  But that would also be a sad way to end the series...

49 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Good point.  But that would also be a sad way to end the series...

The lead character is a murderous murderer who murdered. On The Shield they finally got their Sergeant . Just not for the murder of an internal affairs detective killed in the first episode 

On 3/3/2017 at 7:32 AM, MissLucas said:

Olinsky mentioned her (Michele) in this very episode, and said that she was staying with someone.  She's not forgotten, she just has no purpose in every episode, so why keep ringing her up?

11 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Olinsky mentioned her (Michele) in this very episode, and said that she was staying with someone.  She's not forgotten, she just has no purpose in every episode, so why keep ringing her up?

OK, so she was finally mentioned after a season and a half.  And people bring her up because the last time we saw her, she was staying with RUZEK.  That's a bit of a far stretch and something the writers should clean up before a year and a half later, isn't it?

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Raja said:

The lead character is a murderous murderer who murdered. On The Shield they finally got their Sergeant . Just not for the murder of an internal affairs detective killed in the first episode 

Very true.  But he's an entertaining murderous murderer who murdered.  For some reason, I still kinda like him.  

(I don't like the show because it's realistic or because that's how I think real cops act, or how I would want real cops to act.  It's just entertaining for an hour.)

• Love 3

I think the big difference was that IA and the Captain always returned to going after Vic, while you don't see the constant pressure on Voight 

3 hours ago, Raja said:

I think the big difference was that IA and the Captain always returned to going after Vic, while you don't see the constant pressure on Voight 

I'm still catching up on Chicago Fire and Voight's entire backstory, but this seems to be the opposite.  (And I never watched The Shield so I don't know its plot.)  But here, Voight was already caught and arrested for something bad, released, and reinstated; seems the cops are happier to have him on their side than the other.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
Typo

I'm still not 100 percent sure there's a body out there--early in the show we saw Voight forcing the guy to dig a grave but that was it iirc. Maybe he sent him away--maybe that is Show's out vs arresting him in the end. Plus, Voight is like Robin Hood (my tongue is so firmly into my cheek It could pierce it)--he only tortures the bad guys (and never accidentally tortures an innocent guy), except for relentlessly harrassing Casey on Fire, pre-PD. I think Show realized what a compelling character Voight could be in the hands of Jason Beghe and just ran with him. But yes, there really isn't any pressure from above on him to change his ways.

54 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

I'm still not 100 percent sure there's a body out there--early in the show we saw Voight forcing the guy to dig a grave but that was it iirc. Maybe he sent him away--maybe that is Show's out vs arresting him in the end. ...

I thought of that, too.  I think it's near the end of the season 3 finale that we see the alleged killer digging in the rain, Erin comes up and tells Voight not to do it, and then I think the camera focuses on Erin driving away rather than Voight and the guy.  It's definitely a heavy implication that Voight shoots him and Erin moves the body, but maybe we don't know that for sure.  Maybe at the end of episode 4x01 all Hank is thanking her for is her silence and support?  I agree that the writers can come up with something to "fix" this and let Voight out if needed...

On March 12, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Ailianna said:

Are you sure? When? I don't remember that.

47 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Me either....I thought he was talking about Lexi, that she was staying with her boyfriend at the warehouse & he almost got her to come home? I thought maybe I'd missed something???

5 hours ago, Proteus said:

4 hours ago, Guildford said:

Me either....I thought he was talking about Lexi, that she was staying with her boyfriend at the warehouse & he almost got her to come home? I thought maybe I'd missed something???

I didn't remember it either, but I figured I could have missed it, so I was taking the other poster's word for it. :-)