Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Chapter 4

Tara Ariano

While he wasn't completely sidelined, it was nice to see the focus on folks other than David. (Until the fucked-up ending, of course.) We got to learn quite a bit about the other mutants and Section 3. And Lenny's Yellow-Eyes, apparently.

• Love 5

What an episode! It dragged a bit in the beginning, maybe didn't actually need to have those extra minutes tacked on, but the last half was made up for it. Why did we see shots of the final fight at the beginning the episode with voiceover from Syd? Confused by what that was trying to do, narratively. AND THE DOG! Now I feel a need to rewatch all the dog scenes. 

I'm definitely not jumping on the "they're still in his brain" wagon, but I loved the moment when Ptonomy said he was "pretty sure" they weren't still in it. And I'm so nervous for Syd now that the Angriest Boy is popping up in her vision. Has she been infected by it somehow?

And The Eye seems to have superhuman spacial awareness. When Syd-as-The-Eye nailed that crowbar shot, I figured it's gotta be an aspect of his power.

Can't wait for next week, cause Lenny's got "things to do."

• Love 6

You'd think David would be more wary of dubious voices inside his head... 

Typical protagonist, blundering all over the place, making things worse by acting without thinking. 

• Love 1

I loved the Lenny storyline... and it was such a gremlin-like gesture at the end.
The actress is amasing and the dynamic between the two is top notch. :)

The voice-over of Syd WAS weird.
I enjoyed the dog scenes as well.

However, who is Captain Nemo? How can his icecube keep the yellow-eyed devil at bay? The person in the suit in the basement looked a bit like a kid but apparently this is the husband?

In general... WOOOOOW.... can't wait until next week!

11 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

While he wasn't completely sidelined, it was nice to see the focus on folks other than David. (Until the fucked-up ending, of course.) We got to learn quite a bit about the other mutants and Section 3. And Lenny's Yellow-Eyes, apparently.

It was a better than average episode so far, I thought.  I'm getting used to all the weirdness lol.  But the focus on the others also helped because I find them more interesting than the David character, for the most part.  David the (possibly) schizophrenic, nearly omnipotent mutant, is a little hard to relate to.

Regarding the "Captain Nemo" guy in the ice cube, he seemed to be someone of importance in Melanie's life.  Maybe a husband or lover?  I thought it was odd that he liked beat poetry and jazz music, which suggested he may have been in that cube for a long, long time.  But then he mentioned karaoke, which is a newer phenomenon, so I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, Eneya said:

However, who is Captain Nemo? How can his icecube keep the yellow-eyed devil at bay? The person in the suit in the basement looked a bit like a kid but apparently this is the husband?

43 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Regarding the "Captain Nemo" guy in the ice cube, he seemed to be someone of importance in Melanie's life.  Maybe a husband or lover?  I thought it was odd that he liked beat poetry and jazz music, which suggested he may have been in that cube for a long, long time.  But then he mentioned karaoke, which is a newer phenomenon, so I'm not sure.

He's definitely her husband, you can hear the actor's voice in last week's episode telling the story of the crane at the coffee maker. The whole frozen ice ball on the astral plane is confusing, though maybe it's got to do with his own powers. And I think the yellow-eyed devil can't get in because it's a manifestation of his mind, not David's, and he hasn't been "infected" like David has.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Bruinsfan said:

But David himself was there. How can David's mind be present, but not a negative manifestation from inside of it?

Because the YED is a separate entity latched to David's mind, not an inherent part of his psyche. In the astral plane, the YED isn't still in David's head, it's roaming free on its own.

• Love 4

Do we know this for sure, though? Jemaine Clement told him that it was a part of him, and he seemed to have considerable insight into David and the inner workings of his mind for someone who'd just met him.

• Love 1
(edited)

Until the season wraps, I suspect that the things we are 100% certain of will be very few. My money's on YED being a real but it is tricky. What we've seen could go either way. Same with Syd seeing the angriest boy - are they still in David's mind, or did part of David's mind trickle into hers, or did they bring a part of David's mind out into the real world?

Since the ice cube room is Oliver's manifestation, it probably follows his rules so much as anything in a place where "everything is possible, nothing is real" can. So maybe if he decides that his room is impervious to uninvited guests, then YED simply can't get in. It may not matter whether YED is part of David or not; if Oliver only wants the David part of the mind to come in, then it becomes possible.

I liked the detail of the cold and how Nemo said he couldn't control it - even after (presumably) years away from his body, he's still attached enough to feel the temp of the room his body's in. Hopefully that awareness goes both ways and he is indeed using the house's electronics to reach his wife. Though it'll be kinda funny if the house was trying to warn them about YED wandering around Summerland and Melinda's all, "It's fine, it's my hubby, isn't it sweet?"

Aubrey Plaza is perfect casting as Lenny. The character can be over the top but I think she can balance it well enough to not be annoying over several seasons, and I'm looking forward to seeing her play the darker personality that we've seen hints of.

Ptonomy is probably okay; I'm less optimistic about Cary and Kerry. I was hoping we would at least make it to the season finale before losing anyone.

I don't care if King wasn't real. I need that fake dog to stay fake alive. Keep YED and angriest little boy away from him, please.

Edited by coppersin
  • Love 5

David's "imaginary" dog that no-one else could see is named King, ie. Shadow King? A psychic entity/leech that's been with him for a long time corrupting him from childhood and driving him insane? The entity masquerades as a puppy, something a child would love and let into his heart and mind, at which point the entity could grow until it takes over. 

• Love 9
(edited)

I hope King wasn't part of something dark since he seems to be the only manifestation so far that isn't unsettling, but that would certainly work as a starting point, especially for a child that young. There was that creepy moment when Melanie was in David's mind and opened the blocked closet door because she heard King inside but found the book instead.

Edit: Actually, even that moment could go either way, couldn't it? Are the dog and book connected because they're both evil, or is King good and led her to the book to try to help David. Oy, this show.

Edited by coppersin
  • Love 3

When David meets Oliver Bird in the Astral Plane Oliver says that the "monster as metaphor" was wrong. He also says that while it's part of David it's not a "symptom; more like a... parasite." 

Makes me think we're definitely dealing with Shadow King rather than Mojo, as far as "who is the yellow-eyed devil" theories go. 

• Love 5

I always wondered what it would be like if Wes Anderson dropped acid after reading a bunch of comic books! I still like this a lot, even though I still have no clue what the hell is happening. I liked getting to know the other mutants, especially Cary and Kerry. I hope they're ok, because they have an interesting power and connection, plus they seem interesting individually as well. I thought it was decently clear (at least as clear as this show ever gets) that Oliver is Malinda's husband. I'm pretty convinced that was his voice on the speaker in the ice room, and I think she mentioned that her husbands name was Oliver at some point. I assume he has psychic powers, and somehow he got stuck in some astral plane, and they keep his body in deep freeze so he doesn't clinically die. Or something. Speaking of, is Malinda a mutant? What's her power?

I liked the lighthouse set, it had a very retro style look to it. I actually like the vague time period setting. Its makes for a stranger, more surreal feeling when we cant even figure out an exact time period something is set in.

I wonder if King is some kind of good brain manifestation, trying to fight YED and Angriest Little Boy, or if he's another dark manifestation manipulating him as a kid? Lenny seems to be a dark aspect, but now we don't know if Lenny even existed, or if she was actually some guy. But, the only people who said that were the ex girlfriend, who seems to know what's up and is scared, and the bad guy in the guise of the shrink. So who knows?

• Love 11
(edited)

I don't think I can last much longer. This is like the visual version of listening to someone explain their dream...so boring. 

The cary/kerry fight was cringeworthy. David and his confused face is boring. Why did it need to take 4 episodes to "reveal" that david's mind is hiding something...yeah that was obvious a long time ago. No need for a character to finally figure it out and tell us "that's why he ate the audio tape!" 

I guess this whole season is going to be about david's broken brain. I'm not feeling it sadly. 

Edited by mirrorrim
  • Love 4

I thought the voice of the coffee machine last episode sounded familiar, and I see it is because it is Jemaine Clement as it/Melanie's husband! He pretty much fight right into all of this craziness.  So, I'm guessing that's his actually body in that freezing room?  Are Melanie and Kerry trying to preserve him, until they find a way to save him/bring him back from the dead (maybe that's why Melanie is so interested in David)?  I have no idea what to think.

Man, this really is going to be a show where nothing is what it seems, so be prepared for everything to be a lie.  So, the "Lenny" in all of David's memories was really a guy named Benny?  I guess he really just met Lenny in the psych ward?  Or was she ever real?  And the Lenny that he talks with is some kind of parasite, maybe?  Or is she another "monster?"  Yeah, I got nothing.

Interesting to see more of the Kerry/Carey pair.  Basically, Carey lives inside of Kerry (?), and only comes out at certain times, which is why she is so much younger then him?  And it seems like they have some kind of psychic connection when they are apart, since Kerry was feeling pain whenever Carey was and also doing the fight moves as well.

How did The Eye pretend to be the psychiatrist?  Is it part of his power that he can make people see things?  At least Syd had a creative way to turn the tables on him.  Too bad David fucked it all up.  Carey better be OK!

Again, this show is nuts and I don't understand half of what is going on, but I find myself still enjoying it and kind respecting that FX is just letting Noah Hawley do whatever the fuck he wants, even if it is just batshit insanity.

• Love 11
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:19 AM, Eneya said:

However, who is Captain Nemo? How can his icecube keep the yellow-eyed devil at bay?

As others have said, Captain Nemo is the consciousness of Melanie's cryogenically preserved husband Oliver. It is out in the astral plane where it can tailor reality to its specs--the ice cube reflects Oliver's frozen state--and apparently observe everything going on in our world. Because YED is a parasite, a separate being from David, Oliver can keep it out because it can't piggyback astrally.

The reveal of the Cary/Kerry situation is appropriate at this point because their connection is similar to that between David and YED. I do think whomever David projects as his best buddy in the fabricated memories, whether King or Lenny, is in fact the parasite.

• Love 5

I'm watching this like I did with Westworld. . . . not as closely as I should. It's fun, but I DVR it and let it sit for a few days. I don't pay that much attention. For instance, I didn't know Oliver was played by (copy & paste) Jemaine Clement. David is lucky Oliver didn't sing about "Business Time" . . . or was that the other guy?

You'd think that David and Syd would have a system in case she swapped with somebody else. Didn't notice the eye closeups. "The Eye" has a question mark, which is fitting, but why is Syd represented by a cat?

I should keep track of powers. With Eye, I'm thinking he can change/alter perceptions. Or maybe he can influence inanimate objects . . . like how the bullets didn't nick him once. Not like telekinesis . ..  maybe he can "talk" to those. Man, now I want DC Comics to work on a Doom Patrol pilot based on the Grant Morrison run.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Man, now I want DC Comics to work on a Doom Patrol pilot based on the Grant Morrison run.

Interesting you bring up Morrison, since his creation, Cassandra Nova, is a powerful psychic entity that lives in the astral plane and needs to take over a host body in the real world to escape the astral plane, which is what I believe the Shadow King is doing in Legion. 

So the guy hunting mutants with powers is ... a mutant with powers?

This show didn't get the Germaine from Flight of the Conchords.

It got the Julian from Divorce.

As others have said, Captain Nemo is the consciousness of Melanie's cryogenically preserved husband Oliver. It is out in the astral plane where it can tailor reality to its specs--the ice cube reflects Oliver's frozen state--and apparently observe everything going on in our world.

Yes he's Melanie's husband frozen consciousness but no, he can't observe everything going on in our world. The proof? Why would he be asking if free love and no bras were still a thing if he could observe our world?

• Love 4

So if Lenny is really Benny (a guy) what does this mean in regard to the memory of David screwing Lenny in his memory from last week?

I'm really loving this show, even if I was the most baffled by this episode.  So trippy, so weird.  Noah Hawley is on fire with this and Fargo.

36 minutes ago, solea said:

So if Lenny is really Benny (a guy) what does this mean in regard to the memory of David screwing Lenny in his memory from last week?

Nothing because he wasn't having sex with Lenny but with his girlfriend Philly.

• Love 7

I watched that ep twice. Looked like Lenny to me, though it was dark.  It being his girlfriend would make sense, but it's this show so…  Anyone have a screen cap?

I was also pretty sure that David was banging his girlfriend and not Lenny. But since both people that said Lenny was really Benny, were both apparently compromised, should we really believe there even IS a Benny? 

• Love 2
(edited)

There's one thing I didn't quite understand in this episode (ah! ONE thing only, right...), regarding Lenny. So, according to David's ex-girlfriend, Lenny is actually Benny, a guy. But Syd and David were both at the mental hospital and Lenny was also there, right? Syd knew about Lenny... Heck, didn't Syd even kill Lenny by having her "nicely" framed inside a wall after Syd changed bodies/souls/whatever with David? If this is all correct, then why didn't Syd show herself to be more surprised after the revelation that Lenny was actually a guy named Benny and not the woman she framed on the wall?

I'm guessing the real question here is: what did I miss?

Edited by kinky
  • Love 4

If you recall, there was a moment in which David snarks "Blow me." to Lenny, who shrugs "I don't swing that way dude."
If Lenny is really female, then she is gay (obviously) or asexual.
However, if Lenny is actually Benny, that response also makes sense.

I disagree that David has had sex with Lenny, the woman on the bed looked like his girlfriend to me and the comment above more or less cements it for me. Whoever it was, it couldn't have been B/Lenny. :)

In regards to Lenny stuck in the wall.... I am so, so, so confused about that.
Did David change her body?

Maybe the entity in his mind is using the guise of the memory BLenny and that was just a poor shmuck who got walled in... or... when he/she got walled in is when he/she jumped into David's mind or that the ShadowKing (or whoever the entity is) WAS in the body of BLenny and jumped...

-head hurts...-

34 minutes ago, kinky said:

There's one thing I didn't quite understand in this episode (ah! ONE thing only, right...), regarding Lenny. So, according to David's ex-girlfriend, Lenny is actually Benny, a guy. But Syd and David were both at the mental hospital and Lenny was also there, right? Syd knew about Lenny... Heck, didn't Syd even kill Lenny by having her "nicely" framed inside a wall after Syd changed bodies/souls/whatever with David? If this is all correct, then why didn't Syd show herself to be more surprised after the revelation that Lenny was actually a guy named Benny and not the woman she framed on the wall?

I'm guessing the real question here is: what did I miss?

I don't remember the exact scene, but I'm pretty sure Syd or Ptonomy mentioned that they knew Lenny was actually dead and raised the same question of wtf?

• Love 2

I think Lenny was really a person that Sydney killed at the institution with David's powers. And this whole time, David has been saying/showing that Lenny is his friend from before he was institutionalized, except the girlfriend and the Eyeball-as-doctor say that person was a man named Benny and not the dead girl, Lenny. It could be that David has gotten them confused because of the similar names, could be that Benny has a bigger significance that David's blocking out and inserting Lenny into, it could be that the girlfriend and the Eyeball were full of shit.

• Love 2

They pulled the memory of Benny out of the girlfriend's mind without her knowledge, and it matched the scene from David's memories except it had some husky guy in the Aubrey Plaza role, so I'm assuming that was the truth as it occurred. No idea why David would retcon his annoying friend from the asylum into memories of a separate person in his past, though. Could he have sucked Benny's mind into his own, hence the sarcastic imaginary friend that now looks like Lenny from Clockworks?

• Love 2
On 3/3/2017 at 0:44 AM, mirrorrim said:

I don't think I can last much longer. This is like the visual version of listening to someone explain their dream...so boring. 

The cary/kerry fight was cringeworthy. David and his confused face is boring. Why did it need to take 4 episodes to "reveal" that david's mind is hiding something...yeah that was obvious a long time ago. No need for a character to finally figure it out and tell us "that's why he ate the audio tape!" 

I guess this whole season is going to be about david's broken brain. I'm not feeling it sadly. 

It's like if James Joyce and William Faulkner collaborated on an origin story for a mutant named Carl Jung.  This started with such promise, who knew it was going to be weeks and weeks of one prolonged acid trip.  Can no one tell a story anymore?

I'm out.

I'm not too confused by the show in general, but there is one thing I really didn't understand.  It's a small detail, but it's bugging me: when Kerry was describing her and Cary's origin story, didn't she say their mother had Kerry and then nine months later had Cary?  But then it's like Cary never saw Kerry until he was eight years old.  Huh?

On 3/2/2017 at 3:31 PM, coppersin said:

I hope King wasn't part of something dark since he seems to be the only manifestation so far that isn't unsettling,

It's funny you say that, because in all his appearances so far, even before he was revealed to be imaginary, I thought he was unsettling.  I felt like they were pulling off a kind of impressive trick of taking a cute breed of dog and making him somehow sinister, and I wasn't sure why that would be until that reveal.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

I'm not too confused by the show in general, but there is one thing I really didn't understand.  It's a small detail, but it's bugging me: when Kerry was describing her and Cary's origin story, didn't she say their mother had Kerry and then nine months later had Cary?  But then it's like Cary never saw Kerry until he was eight years old.  Huh?

On 3/2/2017 at 2:31 PM, coppersin said:

No she said her parents got pregnant with a girl and nine months later had a little white boy instead. I think what they meant was ultrasound showed a girl but when Cary was born it was a shock and broke up the family. That was my take at least. Then Kerry didn't come out again until they were eight. Dunno why they were the same age at that point but I suspect it's an inconsistency they decided to include because Kerri/Cary works so well as a character.

Edited by PatternRec
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, PatternRec said:

No she said her parents got pregnant with a girl and nine months later had a little white boy instead. I think what they meant was ultrasound showed a girl but when Cary was born it was a shock and broke up the family.

But that's impossible.  Ultrasound cannot determine sex (and race!) at the moment of conception, which is what your scenario would involve due to the "nine months later" remark.  Traditionally they couldn't tell until over halfway through the pregnancy, although a newer technique allows them to figure it out (though again, not the race) six months before birth.

And you did sum up what she said pretty accurately.  I carefully transcribed it just now from Hulu:

I'll tell you a story.  Ray and Irma White Cloud.  They're having their first kid, and it's a girl--a Native girl.  They decide to name her Kerry.  Nine months later, a skinny white boy comes out.  Ray decides Irma had an affair.

It would also be very, very unusual to have a second baby nine months after the first (a year is about the least I've ever heard of).  So the writers apparently got things very garbled and confused, and surprisingly no one caught it in the whole production process (even if it was discovered late in editing, the "nine months later" line is said as a voiceover, so it could have easily been altered in post).

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

But that's impossible.  Ultrasound cannot determine sex (and race!) at the moment of conception, which is what your scenario would involve due to the "nine months later" remark.  Traditionally they couldn't tell until over halfway through the pregnancy, although a newer technique allows them to figure it out (though again, not the race) six months before birth.

And you did sum up what she said pretty accurately.  I carefully transcribed it just now from Hulu:

It would also be very, very unusual to have a second baby nine months after the first (a year is about the least I've ever heard of).  So the writers apparently got things very garbled and confused, and surprisingly no one caught it in the whole production process (even if it was discovered late in editing, the "nine months later" line is said as a voiceover, so it could have easily been altered in post).

Eh, the phrasing may be a little off but I don't think it's a mistake. The way Cary says it doesn't necessarily mean that they knew immediately it was a girl. They could've found out they were expecting and decided on Kerry/Cary depending on the gender. They knew (or at least assumed) she was Native American because her parents were. "9 months later" is just a generic phrase people tend to use regarding the birth of a baby, I don't the writers meant for it to be specific.

4 hours ago, PatternRec said:

Then Kerry didn't come out again until they were eight. Dunno why they were the same age at that point but I suspect it's an inconsistency they decided to include because Kerri/Cary works so well as a character.

That detail bugged me. Presumably someone would've noticed a random girl wandering around the house sometime in the previous eight years, so we can assume that Kerry and Cary's first meeting was the first time she popped out or close to it. But they were expecting a girl (and not twins) so something was happening in the womb. But I tend to overthink things and it's probably not a relevant detail anyhow, so I'm just hand-waving it as once Cary was born and thus physically on his own, his body couldn't sustain a separation until he was 8; until then they had been developing as one, and once Kerry came out, her own body clock took over.

Whatever the reasoning, we have them now and it's great. They're my favorite relationship on the show. Seeing Kerry get hurt and then Cary's reaction to it was tough. I know eventually we'll lose someone because that's just how fights against Big Bads work. But I'm attached to everyone!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, coppersin said:

Eh, the phrasing may be a little off but I don't think it's a mistake. The way Cary says it doesn't necessarily mean that they knew immediately it was a girl. They could've found out they were expecting and decided on Kerry/Cary depending on the gender. They knew (or at least assumed) she was Native American because her parents were. "9 months later" is just a generic phrase people tend to use regarding the birth of a baby, I don't the writers meant for it to be specific.

I'm sorry, but to call this all a stretch would be generous.  I really like the show overall, but they royally dropped the ball here.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, coppersin said:

But I tend to overthink things and it's probably not a relevant detail anyhow, so I'm just hand-waving it as once Cary was born and thus physically on his own, his body couldn't sustain a separation until he was 8; until then they had been developing as one, and once Kerry came out, her own body clock took over.

That sounds about right unless a wizard did it. 

56 minutes ago, coppersin said:

Whatever the reasoning, we have them now and it's great. They're my favorite relationship on the show. Seeing Kerry get hurt and then Cary's reaction to it was tough. I know eventually we'll lose someone because that's just how fights against Big Bads work. But I'm attached to everyone!

Yeah I really like them together. I laughed when she came out of him, spiked bat ready to go! 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, PatternRec said:

No she said her parents got pregnant with a girl and nine months later had a little white boy instead. I think what they meant was ultrasound showed a girl but when Cary was born it was a shock and broke up the family. That was my take at least. Then Kerry didn't come out again until they were eight. Dunno why they were the same age at that point but I suspect it's an inconsistency they decided to include because Kerri/Cary works so well as a character.

Maybe Cary dominates, thus he grows older; while Kerry only ages when she's out and about?  That was my instinctual thought anyways.

I suppose up to that point they had been one being aging normally, but once the first separation happened their metabolisms split and since Kerry isn't physically manifest most of the time, her body is only experiencing a fraction of the aging Carey's is.

• Love 1

So Kerry doesn't need to eat or use the toilet ( or bathe or brush her teeth I guess?) but she somehow has full eye makeup.

Also, Syd and David need a secret word so that she can clue him in when she switches with someone. Unless that person is a telepath and steals the word.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3
On 3/3/2017 at 0:51 AM, thuganomics85 said:

How did The Eye pretend to be the psychiatrist?  Is it part of his power that he can make people see things?  At least Syd had a creative way to turn the tables on him.  Too bad David fucked it all up.  Carey better be OK!

I am curious what powers The Eye has. Was he just making them see an illusion of the therapist guy, or did he actually shapeshift into an exact copy of him (like Mystique's power in the X-Men). Why does he seem bulletproof / indestructible? Did he implant a fake memory of the lighthouse to get them to go there, or was the therapist really at the lighthouse, and The Eye just read it from their minds and got there first, killed the real therapist and took his place? 

I like this show but it does make you work.

On 3/4/2017 at 1:46 AM, Lantern7 said:

I'm watching this like I did with Westworld. . . . not as closely as I should. It's fun, but I DVR it and let it sit for a few days. I don't pay that much attention. For instance, I didn't know Oliver was played by (copy & paste) Jemaine Clement. David is lucky Oliver didn't sing about "Business Time" . . . or was that the other guy?

Now I really want a scene where he Oliver sings Business Time in his ice cube home.

• Love 1
On 3/12/2017 at 3:17 PM, queenanne said:

Maybe Cary dominates, thus he grows older; while Kerry only ages when she's out and about?  That was my instinctual thought anyways.

Yes, Melanie and Cary discussed this while in the elevator:

"Do you miss her?"
"Kerry? Is that dumb?"
"No. It's sweet. It still amazes me how she only ages when she's outside your body."
"I know. Here I am, getting old. What happens to her when I die, I wonder?"

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:19 AM, SlackerInc said:

Catching up.  I think that Cary isn't describing what his parents knew and when.  I think he's describing what he has worked out about how he came to be. 

Basically, he has decided that Kerry was their actual child because she was Native like their parents and that something happened in the nine months they were in the womb that he came into existence and was the one born and that they share the same body.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 5