Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Violated

• Start Topic

I feel like the show really should have done more with the soapiness of a character learning her boyfriend was prostituting himself to a cougar-y art dealer.  And it really says something about unlikable Kelly has gotten that you can't feel bad for her, especially given Colin's blasé attitude about the situation.

First times are important to Claire?  Wasn't her first time with David outside in the dirt during their UFO trip?

I like Valerie and David too!

• Love 1

I'm a big fan of Merchette's "Yeah, I'm sure you do" response to Dylan saying he loves his daughter.  I still use that line, just as sarcastically to this day.  Even on occasion when I'm paid a compliment.

Edited by benteen

Well well welly well well, I must say that Kelly took that pretty calmly. Her new boyfriend has been seeing another woman for the entire time they've been together and she forgives him when he starts sweeping the deck? Okay, seems legit.

The scene between her and Donnas was weird. Somehow it seemed as if Kelly was more upset that Donna didn't tell her about Ray being abusive than she was about the actual abuse. 

I still think the abuser story is sort of okay written, Ray being all "I need you" and putting the blame on Donna seems very real. But I'm kind of sorry that Ray didn't get to be a cool character who just thought most of the gang was bullshit. 

• Love 3

And even though Susan is being a total bitch to Val initially, she is acting pretty normal for a smart college woman. She is like a more evolved Claire/Andrea. I like her. I hate what they do to the character later, and I mostly hate that she is dating Brandon. She can do a lot better.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Nanna said:

Well well welly well well, I must say that Kelly took that pretty calmly. Her new boyfriend has been seeing another woman for the entire time they've been together and she forgives him when he starts sweeping the deck? Okay, seems legit.

Seriously, this situation should not have been resolved in one episode.

And again, I really found Colin's "It started before I even met you!" defense to be so bizarre.  You've been giving the D to another woman the entire time you've been involved with Kelly, and in fact financed your move to LA by giving this lady the D, and seemingly weren't going to stop paying for art supplies with D until you got caught out, but it's okay because it started before Kelly was in the picture?  Uh...nah.

• Love 3

I found the scene between Donna and Kelly to be very awkward in terms of the writing. "No, some cheat AND beat." Cute! You rhymed! Then she doesn't want to talk about it. I'm sure in reality, many victims are reluctant to share their experiences. But the way this was written (and/or maybe the acting is also to blame), it was like a clunky exposition scene.

I agree with other posters who have talked about how well the abuse situation has been set up in terms of Ray's behavior over many episodes. If only other storylines could have the same continuity.

• Love 1

The way Kelly said to Claudia, "I thought you were married," seemed uncharacteristically naive. Kelly's stepdad cheated on her mom, Donna's mom cheated on her dad, and Cindy almost had an affair (though Kelly may not know about that), so she already knows *from experience* that being married doesn't stop people from cheating. 

Though I can appreciate the humor in Kelly being cheated on. In the words of Nelson, "I hope the irony isn't lost on you, Simpson." I mean, Taylor.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, MerBearStare said:

The way Kelly said to Claudia, "I thought you were married," seemed uncharacteristically naive. Kelly's stepdad cheated on her mom, Donna's mom cheated on her dad, and Cindy almost had an affair (though Kelly may not know about that), so she already knows *from experience* that being married doesn't stop people from cheating. 

Though I can appreciate the humor in Kelly being cheated on. In the words of Nelson, "I hope the irony isn't lost on you, Simpson." I mean, Taylor.

When Kelly changed her personality as she went into college, she seems to have adopted a "my shit doesn't smell" mentality which seems to be more like "my shit never smelled."  So it fits that along with this personality change, she now is naïve about stuff like that.  It's ridiculous but that's the only answer I can come up with.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MerBearStare said:

Though I can appreciate the humor in Kelly being cheated on.

And really, finding out your boyfriend is prostituting himself for art supplies and has been the entire time you've been together is kinda worse than cheating.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I loved that Kelly was being cheated on 

Jaclyn, the simplicity of this statement just cracked me the hell up! Thank you! Me too! 

2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

And really, finding out your boyfriend is prostituting himself for art supplies and has been the entire time you've been together is kinda worse than cheating.

Seriously! She should be all - eeeeeewwwww... how many sugar mommas have you had in your "career"? And when she said - are you going to find another Sugar Momma in LA - I wanted to say - yea, you! I love how this show has these rich BH kids poor whenever it suits them. Someone's paying for Kelly's clothes, trips, rent on a beach front apartment and tuition and we know it ain't Kelly. Kelly, Donna, Steve are rich kids, SHOW.

3 hours ago, benteen said:

When Kelly changed her personality as she went into college, she seems to have adopted a "my shit doesn't smell" mentality which seems to be more like "my shit never smelled." 

Yep. And Kelly is always such a rag that at this stage I don't get why she's Queen Bee. I mean what do her subjects get from her other than holier-than-though judgment and endless catbuttmouth bitch faces? I mean, at least Blair Waldorf threw great parties and invited her friends to NYFW shows. It would really help if the writers could show her actually being a good friend from time to time then we could understand why they put up with her. (The boys I guess are just in love with her golden VaJayJay or something). 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Nanna said:

Oh, and Susan - you didn't just tease Val. You constantly emplied she was a slut and that she would use her sexiness to get a good grade. You are feministing wrong. 

I think this was really sloppy writing. I feel like Susan was trying to imply that the prof was a perv who could be easily manipulated by cleavage, not that Val was a slut, but it did indeed come out wrong. This is how the writers treated Val most of the time.

10 hours ago, Klaw said:

Jaclyn, the simplicity of this statement just cracked me the hell up! Thank you! Me too! 

Seriously! She should be all - eeeeeewwwww... how many sugar mommas have you had in your "career"? And when she said - are you going to find another Sugar Momma in LA - I wanted to say - yea, you! I love how this show has these rich BH kids poor whenever it suits them. Someone's paying for Kelly's clothes, trips, rent on a beach front apartment and tuition and we know it ain't Kelly. Kelly, Donna, Steve are rich kids, SHOW.

Yep. And Kelly is always such a rag that at this stage I don't get why she's Queen Bee. I mean what do her subjects get from her other than holier-than-though judgment and endless catbuttmouth bitch faces? I mean, at least Blair Waldorf threw great parties and invited her friends to NYFW shows. It would really help if the writers could show her actually being a good friend from time to time then we could understand why they put up with her. (The boys I guess are just in love with her golden VaJayJay or something). 

That's so funny , I was thinking the same thing while watching an episode today .. what exactly do these people like about Kelly ? Between her joining a cult with creepy Finley , cheating on everyone she's with , giving dirty looks to anyone and everyone , being a complete hypocrite in every situation , becoming a drug addict because her dad who she already knew always cancelled plans , cancelled plans with her , and being a bitch to any new person regardless of how nice they were , what is there to like ??? I would have loved nothing more than everyone just abandoning her ... but no writers , you had to make everyone kiss the ground she walked on . 

Also , Susan was a much better match for him and if she was a main character on the show , I could see them having ended up together . But no ,  Brandon decides he wants cheaty mc Cheaterson back 

• Love 2

You know you are old when you come to the comments after listening to the podcast two weeks in a row and realize you are the only one who seems to have had the "holy cow that's the lady that shot JR" reaction to Claudia. That's Mary Crosby, daughter of Bing, who played the sister-in-law behind the major pop culture phenomenon "Who shot JR?". I didn't even watch "Dallas" ( a little too young at the time, mom would have never allowed it anyway) and still knew who she is. I feel ancient.

I agree, Valerie/TAT looks so pretty in that last picture.

At 19, I probably would have thought that professor was hot too @MCMLXXVII.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, allicatexp said:

Yes.  There was the whole Val teaming up with Tracy to plot against Kelly thing.

Doing that classic "send someone a fake fax/telegram from a former paramour" bit that, I believe, someone also does re: Alison and Billy on "Melrose Place".

Edited by TeeVee329
7 hours ago, Flamingo said:

ealize you are the only one who seems to have had the "holy cow that's the lady that shot JR" reaction to Claudia.

Dammit!  That's why she looked familiar.  I am also a wee bit too old to have watched Dallas during its initial run, but I remember the cliffhanger and my parents watched it, so I was vaguely familiar with it.  I could not place Claudia and it was driving me nuts!!!  Thank you!

11 hours ago, bethster2000 said:
On 2/22/2017 at 10:00 PM, Nanna said:

But I'm kind of sorry that Ray didn't get to be a cool character who just thought most of the gang was bullshit. 

Don't get me started.

IKR? It would have been awesome if Ray had been the "working class hero" who, before making it big in the music biz, kept reminding the Gang that they were all just a bunch of entitled, spoiled losers. Also would have been cool if he had dumped Donna and her Cavern of Doom boobs (y'know, so he could get laid once in awhile?) instead of making him go all stalker wierdo coward on her - which is a total hatchet job to the character we had been introduced to. Remember that Ray? The one who went into a burning building to save people?

On 2/24/2017 at 3:14 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

Yea but he wasn't into Tracy because he wanted Kelly back 

Oh, Gah!!! don't remind me of that awful, awful storyline. So damn eye-roll-y. 

• Love 2
On 2/24/2017 at 0:27 PM, Earmuffs Mom said:

Dammit!  That's why she looked familiar.  I am also a wee bit too old to have watched Dallas during its initial run, but I remember the cliffhanger and my parents watched it, so I was vaguely familiar with it.  I could not place Claudia and it was driving me nuts!!!  Thank you!

I was & still am a TV drama queen, child of 1976, & I swear, one of my very first memories is the revelation of "Who shot JR?". I was at my grandma's, in my pink & white windbreaker jacket, because it was November, everyone was vegged out on the floor, except me, who was standing beside the tv-in-an-oak-box with the rabbit ears coming out of the top of it....the memories are fresh in my 40-year-old mind. Every time I see Mary Crosby, I see Kristen with the gun, at the Ewing office building.

I actually thought the sugar mama was a shockingly realistic storyline for our show. Let's be honest, we've all seen Colin's paintings, there's no way he'd have the revenue to live in the lifestyle he'd grown accustomed to, or wanted to grow accustomed to, not even taking into consideration his coke addiction, if he wasn't making a little cash on the side. I fully believed that he'd have a sugar mama "assisting" him. I have a harder time believing that he'd ever, even for a nanosecond, consider being a janitor, & the hardest time believing that Kelly would even glance in his direction if he was.

• Love 2

Ah... who shot JR? Somehow my immigrant mom had an insane soft spot to soapy dramas and I grew up sitting with her in their bedroom watching Dallas, Dynasty and Falcon Crest!  Plus she got me into All My Children for several years.  I even remember some family dinners where people were talking about who shot him over the summer.  I have a soft spot for the Simpson's who did a parody of this.

As for Kelly... she's just a mess.  She loves the hipsterness of dating an artist and wouldn't even look at someone who was blue collar (ie Ray).  Ah, but soon my favorite time is coming... I'm going to have to pace myself while listening to the recaps.

• Love 2