Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I don't know what the network was thinking.  It is kind of disrespectful to the hosts and guests to think they could not contain themselves; Joe notwithstanding. 😎

It is also kind of insulting to the audience.  Granted, I didn't see the show from the beginning; but I have never seen the hosts before.  On one of the biggest news days of the year. I flipped to CNN - bet that was not the reaction MSNBC was looking for.

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Kemper said:

I don't know what the network was thinking.  It is kind of disrespectful to the hosts and guests to think they could not contain themselves; Joe notwithstanding. 😎

It is also kind of insulting to the audience.  Granted, I didn't see the show from the beginning; but I have never seen the hosts before.  On one of the biggest news days of the year. I flipped to CNN - bet that was not the reaction MSNBC was looking for.

💯.   Yeah I answered this on the MJ board.

It took me a couple of days to realize how messed up MSNBC is. Why do they think us regulars tune into MJ every day 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

MJ is a news program, right? Why would they not be able to cover this news event?

They're not straight news (like CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, with a night news show, reporting on current events here & worldwide). But yes, they should have been able to air their show that morning. MSNBC had Saturday night and all day/night Sunday to report, straight news style, on the assassination attempt.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

They're not straight news (like CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, with a night news show, reporting on current events here & worldwide). But yes, they should have been able to air their show that morning.

Especially because there was no "new news" on the shooting by Monday morning. The breaking news was Saturday; by Sunday morning we knew who the shooter was and that Trump continued to be fine. Monday contained no information as to the shooter's motive or any new explanations of the security failure. (But if there had been, I have no doubt whatever that MJ could have presented it.)

• Like 6

Just finished watching Deadline: White House. What's wrong with Nicholle's neck? I kept staring at what looked like a necklace of squares that were the same color as her skin. Finally decided it couldn't be a necklace.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

When was she on?

It was probably within an hour of the announcement. And she's on now - Rachel, Nicolle, Joy and Jen started special coverage at 7PM EST.

Rachel is positively gleeful.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

This past week Symone Sanders Townsend has had a more visible role on several shows and I think it's regrettable that she doesn't have her own show anymore. 

It's such a waste of a young cool talented woman 

• Like 3
(edited)

Why did they take Yasmin Vossoughian off the air as a show host.

She shows up a a substitute or doing special reports (today gun violence PA)

It seems so absurd because she's smart and engaging and these nincompoops have Andrea Mitchell who's truly cringe worthy and a couple of other poor show hosts 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 5
(edited)
On 9/1/2024 at 8:56 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Lots of subs this weekend. Sam Stein was  subbing and he was pretty good. He and Alicia Menendez should have their own shows (speaking as an un-fan of Alex Wagner, Jen Psaki, and Nicholle). 

Alicia had her own show so going back's not happening. Sam Stein is duller than Jonathan Lemire and that's saying a lot.

And I won't even bother with Andrea Mitchell, Katie Tur or Ari Melber

Some of the recent subs which are regular show guests and have done a good job. Last week Ali  Vatali filled in for Lemire which was a breath of fresh air

I think MSNBC needs fresh new faces the same people and endless reruns are monotonous 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

MSNBC ... it is days like this that I wish Brian Willams (or a genuine, actual real news reporter) was still a presence on the network. Not a pundit thrown in front of the camera.  When I saw the news about the school shooting, I turned to MSNBC and CNN where they were covering Merrick Garland's press conference.  Okay, I get that. But after?  CNN had gone full-scale on the shooting; MSNBC had an analyst on, explaining what Merrick Garland said. They did eventually go back to the coverage of the shooting. 

I am exhausted by the election coverage; most every show leads specifically with Trump news. Every show. (this is not political - I am stating an actual fact re the way this network presents the news) 24/7.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Kemper said:

MSNBC ... it is days like this that I wish Brian Willams (or a genuine, actual real news reporter) was still a presence on the network. Not a pundit thrown in front of the camera.  When I saw the news about the school shooting, I turned to MSNBC and CNN where they were covering Merrick Garland's press conference.  Okay, I get that. But after?  CNN had gone full-scale on the shooting; MSNBC had an analyst on, explaining what Merrick Garland said. They did eventually go back to the coverage of the shooting. 

I am exhausted by the election coverage; most every show leads specifically with Trump news. Every show. (this is not political - I am stating an actual fact re the way this network presents the news) 24/7.

I, too, am worn out/down by all the election coverage. It never stops...just picks up again after inauguration day, wondering who will run in 4 years.  I never go to MSNBC to find out what's happening in Israel, Ukraine, etc. 

• Like 1

I listened to news on NPR today and they covered so many more stories, with so much more information, in so much less time, it was a really stark contrast to MSNBC. And I was able to do chores while listening!

I used to listen to NPR all the time, but stopped because I think they have gone downhill and become a dim shadow of who they used to be. But right now they are better than MSNBC, which is depressing to me. 

Sometimes the commentary is insightful on MSNBC, and I appreciate that. But it's also incredibly repetitive and often not even that smart. 

I wonder if they have been told to dumb things down, or if the research budget has been cut, or what the hell is going on over there.

I watch so much less than I used to. I have even written to them telling them why. I assume their ratings are tanking, because they send out a lot of surveys asking for feedback, and the questions indicate basically that they just want to know what you will watch so they can get your eyeballs back. They are not pretending to have any kind of journalistic agenda, it's all just about getting you to watch.

I find it hard to believe that they are getting people to watch by being bland, repetitive, and not very informative, but then again, maybe that's the kind of country we live in-- not looking for info so much as background noise.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, tres bien said:

JMO the best channel to watch the debate is C SPAN. Totally talking heads free. 

They did a fantastic job covering the DNC

100% this. Call me crazy, but if I've just watched a speech, I don't need "pundits" to "help me make sense of it."

Plus, any time spent cutting away to pundits during the convention meant some part of the convention that I was missing. 

And I don't need chyrons across the bottom of my screen, either, summarizing what I'm capable of seeing and hearing with my own eyes and ears. C-Span is a chyron-free zone.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Plus, any time spent cutting away to pundits during the convention meant some part of the convention that I was missing.

^^^This.

I really enjoyed hearing the songs the DJ was playing and liked seeing the crowd dancing and singing along. Also, many of the short videos shown were important to the segment themes and the speakers that followed. 

I had C-SPAN on the TV one night and then watched the DNC's live stream on YouTube for the remainder of the convention. 

I'm actually on a total MSNBC break right now. Other than Joy Reid and, surprisingly for me, Lawrence, I'm pretty ticked off at the rest of the M-F leads for the tone of their coverage.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I enjoy LOD's no fucks left to give tone, honestly. You can tell that he is not trying to kiss the ass of any higher ups, and feels like he's had a good career and is going to go out on a high, if they fire him.

Since many days I feel so fed up, I can't believe the stupidity of various entities, I enjoy when he says "stupid" a gazillion times in 15 minutes. 

It only works because he actually backs his opinions up with experience and perspective, and you don't feel like he's just doing it for the shock value, but because he actually feels as fed up as I do.

I rented Network (Oscar winning film of Yore) recently, because of the same tone (mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!) though that movie is way more cynical and LOD is not Howard Beale by any means-- it's just the tone of voice and languaging, not the actual content, that is similar.

I like Elie Mystal for a similar reason-- he's smart, but he also delivers his perspective in a way that cuts through the BS and isn't apologizing for it or worrying about anybody's pearls getting clutched.

As a female who has been told too many times to moderate my tone or be more submissive ("act nicer!"), it's refreshing to see people not do that. I don't like abusive behavior, but I don't think passion = abuse. And messengers get killed regardless of "tone" so fuck it-- just give it to me uncut.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

I enjoy LOD's no fucks left to give tone, honestly. You can tell that he is not trying to kiss the ass of any higher ups, and feels like he's had a good career and is going to go out on a high, if they fire him.

Has he been reaming his bosses lately? I hope so!

• Like 1

I don't think he's mentioned his own bosses explictly, but his condemnation of the media in general, and of various people in the strata of society that usually get deference, suggests to me that he's not likely currying their favor, either.

I hope his ratings are sky high so they have a harder time cancelling him. I know a few years ago they seemed to want to get rid of him, and Maddow kind of took his side, but I don't think she would do that now, and I don't know how long his contract is, so I figure it's one of those things to enjoy while it lasts.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I haven't watched Lawrence in years although I don't dislike him but I haven't forgotten how in 2016 he started a lot of shows with a monologue saying that Trump will never this or that because he will never become president 

• Like 1

Damn. That's embarrassing. I can't remember if I was watching him back then, but if he said all that stuff, yeah-- it makes sense to not trust him. 

I don't think he's mkaing any predictions these days. He's just venting about the utter fuckery in real time, in a way that others are too timid, polite, or stupid to do. I think that's a necessary service at this point.

• Like 7

Guys check out NBC News Now.  I have been watching all the NBC networks for decades now and recently had to stop nearly everything.  I used to watch the first half hour of Today for news but now even that is filled with pop culture or dumb stuff.  MSNBC is just too much with the politics and it’s very condescending.  NBC News Now morning show is great, none of the vapid commentary.  Throughout the day, if I tune in to news I check out CNN.  Much more balanced commentary and they talk about things other than politics.  Lester is still my guy for evening news though.

• Like 2
  • Love 1