Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

21 minutes ago, mcmrdh said:

WAIT ... WHAT????????  Her mom passed away a few days ago? what happened? That is SO SAD!!!!!!!

@Rosiemac    oh SNAP I misread that! I thought you said her MOM ...   I need to go back to bed 

Edited by mcmrdh
On 8/29/2017 at 6:42 AM, dynamite said:

Why is Kelsey behind Yuko? 

Great performance nonetheless.

The leaders especially really stood out!

Lacey and Robin look great in this...the rest, not so much...  Yuko was chasing the choreography and almost marking things at some points - she really doesn't seem to have confidence in the dance and almost looks like she's watching the others to know what to do.   Is this an old dance or a new one?   Brunette in the back right corner stands out for looking much wider than everyone else - is that Rachel?  I wonder if she's on weight watch.   Not as impressed w/ Kelli - I thought she's supposed to be good?   Her dancing looked kind of sloppy.   Oh well - I guess we all know the team is going to be weak dancing wise this year cause they lost so many great dancer vets...

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Lacey and Robin look great in this...the rest, not so much...  Yuko was chasing the choreography and almost marking things at some points - she really doesn't seem to have confidence in the dance and almost looks like she's watching the others to know what to do.   Is this an old dance or a new one?   Brunette in the back right corner stands out for looking much wider than everyone else - is that Rachel?  I wonder if she's on weight watch.   Not as impressed w/ Kelli - I thought she's supposed to be good?   Her dancing looked kind of sloppy.   Oh well - I guess we all know the team is going to be weak dancing wise this year cause they lost so many great dancer vets...

Our back right or theirs? Our back left is Rachel, back right is Kelsey - who has a slammin body. 

6 minutes ago, cgloss said:

I actually enjoy the song AND the choreography. But it does require the dancers to tap into a lot of attitude to look great (see: Jenna). Is this a Michelle Keys' number? 

Yeah I think it's Michelle Keys, and I think the other dance that they've been doing a lot recently is from the LSU choreographer. The best that this dance has looked is when they did it at Oxnard IMO.  I don't like it nearly as much in the small groups - there's no way to hide as many people as they need to. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Bored by the dancing without Holly ... she really was a great performer...

Haven't caught up in episodes so still no clue why she and Erica are no longer on the squad ... what a disappointment though

Hasn't been addressed yet and probably won't for awhile (if they're still even considering showing it). We'll have to wait several more episodes.  

Edited by HowdeeDo
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Yeah, I remember now, and agreed, if it's the hip hop routine, then Maddie was very strong in that routine. 

Madeline is exceptionally good at hip hop.  Also really good at tricks.

Where she struggles is technique and placement - and she sickles her feet - I know her solos impress many on here, but they mostly make me cringe.

• Love 7

Yes. I like Maddie and I do think she is cute and fun to watch but something about her dancing and her tricks that always look 90% to me, l don't know how else to explain it, but everything is just not quite there.  She does look good in hip hop though. 

Edited by PixieDust
  • Love 1

I do not understand why they took some of the girls they took to training camp this year  when there were so many others to choose from.  Looking at jenny.smith9 on instagram... she tried out for DCC and didn't make it but went on to make Miami Dolphins.  There are a lot of girls they didn't take to TC that would have been better than the ones they took.  

Also a girl named Hunter tried out for DCC a year ago but didn't make it.  I see she made Dolphins.  Does anyone know why she quit the Dolphins.

34 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Madeline is exceptionally good at hip hop.  Also really good at tricks.

Where she struggles is technique and placement - and she sickles her feet - I know her solos impress many on here, but they mostly make me cringe.

+5

To be a self proclaimed 'studio rat', her technique isn't great. She always looks to me like she has issues with extensions, transitions, turnout, turns. I haven't noticed her sicking but a lot of others have mentioned it. I still think she looks like a kid, too.

I will say her solo this year had some of the issues I mentioned above, but was so much better than her first audition. She may have benefitted from someone besides her mother instructing her. Sometimes parents/kids can use some improvement when teaching or coaching.

I can't tell if she's an amazing hip hop dancer, or if it is just the novelty of being a babyfaced white girl from Utah who is pretty good at hip hop. She's far better at hip hop than lyrical or jazz though. 

• Love 6

Eeee....yep...

I didn't think Maddi's solo was the very best.  I thought she sort of haulted her movements/transitions between one move and the next.  There could have been more flow between movements.  It was a good solo, but it could have flowed better, in my opinion, of course.  Granted I only saw a little excerp of her solo, didn't see it all.  I think she had some darling facials and she looked like a little pixie!  I liked her simple costume and thought it flattering to her figure.

I saw that Maddi is teaching hip-hop at Kitty Carter's this year.  ? And that recently retired vet Melissa will be teaching part time, turns, tricks and jumps, if I remember correctly.  I would love for Melisa to teach me anything!  It's on Kitty Carter's Facebook.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kary said:

I do not understand why they took some of the girls they took to training camp this year  when there were so many others to choose from.  Looking at jenny.smith9 on instagram... she tried out for DCC and didn't make it but went on to make Miami Dolphins.  There are a lot of girls they didn't take to TC that would have been better than the ones they took.  

Also a girl named Hunter tried out for DCC a year ago but didn't make it.  I see she made Dolphins.  Does anyone know why she quit the Dolphins.

I don't think Jenny can dance... I think she took it up late like Kelsey but hasn't improved year on year like Kelsey did. And the only reason I think she makes it to semis/finals each year is because she's pretty. 

Hunter apparently pulled herself out of Dolphins TC because she was homesick and it wasn't for her..? I think. That girl should just stick to NBA teams if she wants to be on a pro cheer team. 

I also think that this years rookies will all be great, soon. They must've had a pretty disrupted TC this year with the HOF game, more CMT filming, vets leaving, groups changing. Give them a few more weeks to get in sync. 

• Love 2

This is definitely a rebuilding year (and maybe next year as well depending on how the girls develop) because of all the girls who either retired or otherwise left the team.  I suspected that Kelli and Judy had expected girls like Mandy, Erica and Holly to stay on when several others left.  Mandy's decision to leave was a spur of the moment thing as I think Holly's was (though whether Holly left by her own choice or was asked to leave is still hotly contested).  Then Erica has to leave due to injury (though this is still debated as well).  That takes out three strong dancers and lets other girls get on the squad that otherwise would have been cut.  Does it make a difference?  Yes.  Does the team fall apart without them?  No.

Yes, some rookies are struggling (which is normal) and some vets are having to step up to the plate sooner than otherwise would be expected.  However, BECAUSE this is a rebuilding year, it gives girls a chance that they would normally not have otherwise or at least have it sooner.  Would Christina likely have made the team if at least two people didn't drop out?  I seriously doubt it.  She was probably either #37 or #38 on the list and, if they were serious about taking only 36 girls, then she wouldn't have made the cut without the two slots suddenly opening up.  I'm not too sure if Miranda would have made it either, but we'll see as the show progresses.  I wish we knew how the girls ranked from #1 to #44 at the start of camp vs. the end of camp or something like what "Surf Girls" (a reality show from 2003) had with green being safe, yellow being needing work but not bad, and red meaning being cut or could be cut at any moment.  If a girl improves, she moves up and if she stays the same or falters, she either stays in the same group or leaves.  Obviously the girls in the red zone are the most likely to be cut while the ones in the green are the most likely to make the team.  Now THAT would be a good visual for the girls, especially the vets, if they end up in the red or the yellow sections.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 5

As a professional team there is no such thing as rebuilding.  As a coach there is a responsibility to always have peeps in the back pocket that have the skill set and you can interchange .  

FYI all the crappy rookies were taken due to vets being cut (?!!!!!!) and had no other options.  Really was the best year to be a rookie cuz y'all were almost guaranteed at spot ?????

• Love 5
14 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

Obviously the girls in the red zone are the most likely to be cut while the ones in the green are the most likely to make the team.  Now THAT would be a good visual for the girls, especially the vets, if they end up in the red or the yellow sections.

Oh please no, Kelli is so impressed with her "yes-no-maybe" system, colors might make her head explode! :)

13 hours ago, lfedncr said:

As a professional team there is no such thing as rebuilding

Sure there is, it happens in multi-million dollar pro sports all the time, why wouldn't it happen on a dance team?

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Sure there is, it happens in multi-million dollar pro sports all the time, why wouldn't it happen on a dance team?

Yeah, and I would think a pro dance team like the DCCs would be even more susceptible to rebuilding years than sports teams because they have little control over their strongest people leaving. A girl can choose to go elsewhere at any time of after any year. In pro sports, they have contracts, and teams know which contracts are close to expiring, who has an option, etc. In college, they can only stay so many years in the first place. Now that's to say that I don't think K&J, etc made some poor decisions in who they picked and did not pick, but they're allowed a year to rebuild. If it persists, then that's a problem.

i thought the season 6 team was in a rebuilding mode after losing so many vets, but they followed it in season 7 with one of the strongest rookie classses since the show started. Hopefully, they will do the same next year.

• Love 2
On 8/28/2017 at 11:48 PM, TiaGrace said:

Oh yes, let us not forgot about Paige. My unpopular opinion is that Paige was a lying sneak who Kelli did not come down hard enough on. If Kelli had cleaned house when this came to light, I don't think Jenna or Holly would had even tried to break rules. But there goes Paige, breaking her contract, the rules, and trust and will get her happily ever after AND a job with the cowboys. 

I agree , I can't stand her , even before her romance was outed. Just something about her rubbed me the wrong way. #sneakyopportunist 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jess14 said:

Yeah, and I would think a pro dance team like the DCCs would be even more susceptible to rebuilding years than sports teams because they have little control over their strongest people leaving. A girl can choose to go elsewhere at any time of after any year. In pro sports, they have contracts, and teams know which contracts are close to expiring, who has an option, etc. In college, they can only stay so many years in the first place. Now that's to say that I don't think K&J, etc made some poor decisions in who they picked and did not pick, but they're allowed a year to rebuild. If it persists, then that's a problem.

i thought the season 6 team was in a rebuilding mode after losing so many vets, but they followed it in season 7 with one of the strongest rookie classses since the show started. Hopefully, they will do the same next year.

I see your point of view, but I do not think Season 7 was one of the strongest rookie classes they had since the show started. Kelli decided to go with a squad of 39 instead of her usual 34 to 36 girls. I think some of the girls would not have made the team in Season 7 if the five one year vets were not cut and Kelli kept the squad down to 34 to 36.

In my opinion, I think Seasons 2, 3, and 4 had the best rookie classes, Yes, there were a few on the bubble girls, but the squads had a lot of potential back then.

So glad wiki updated the roster.  It's so nice to be able to see who made it compared to those who didn't so I can pay attention to any "differences" as to why they were cut.

• Love 1

Well, the yes/no/maybe was only for auditions.  Maybe they could use the red/yellow/green for throughout the show (just an idea).  I vaguely remember watching "Surf Girls" when it first came out and that they evaluated the girls at least once an episode and possibly twice (once at the challenge, usually showed in the middle of the episode and once at the end to see who got cut).  The only reason I remember this was because one of the girls who was doing okay (at least in the middle of board so, yellow) until then, gave up on the challenge so she was moved to red after that and then, at the end of the episode, they would decide who was to be cut based on the girls in the red zone (with the occasional girl in the yellow who was JUST this side of the line between yellow and red).  How the girls did each time would change their position on the board and would change throughout the season until the end.  I wish I could remember more (or could be found for online viewing as it was interesting to watch).

Just now, bk10 said:

Wow, they edited Erica out. They made it seem like they named Kashara as the leader when we all know that Erica was

I noticed that too.  It's starting to seem like they aren't going to address Erica's cut at all and just gloss it over as if she never made it back to training camp in the first place.

I honestly can't imagine what would have happened if she was cut or quit. She was one of the faces of the team...if it were anyone else I'd guess maybe pregnant but she doesn't seem like the type or with a new (month or so?) relationship. 

I suppose it's possible she pulled an Amy WhatsHerFace from many seasons ago... the vet who was cut during training camp but her cut wasn't aired.  Rumor was that she was partying too much and threatened legal action if they aired her cut on the show.

Amy Reese!

Edited by ClosetBachJunkie
I remembered!
  • Love 1

What's strange is that it definitely used to have Erica's introduction. I watch the show in my apartment clubhouse because I don't have cable and the closed captioning was on tonight for some reason. When they got to group 4, the caption said Erica and then Kelly said Kashara so it was def a recent switch

• Love 8

Very stunned by the editing tonight.  At this point, the show must realize that there are super fans out there who know what's going on IRL with the team so to just pretend Erica wasn't there is just a weird choice imo. I will never understand why some stuff is shown ...Courtney Cook's disappearance, Kaitlin LeGrand's strange behavior... but one of the major talents leaving may be glossed over if addressed at all...

A cynical thought just hit me...the Courtney / Kaitlin situations were more personal to the cheerleader...whereas the Erica / Holly / Jenna situations may be more about how the DCC organization is run and it may not reflect well on that organization..hence, gloss, gloss, gloss.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, bk10 said:

Wow, they edited Erica out. They made it seem like they named Kashara as the leader when we all know that Erica was

Really?  Wow!  You know CMT didn't edit it that way to start with.  Someone is meddling with the truth already.

• Love 3

I've felt manipulated by this show for a long time.  I feek like they made decisions on story lines they thought were compelling and then edit to fit that.  IMO a lot of their decisions are based on other factors, and then say it's dance ability and find footage to justify that.  As we've noticed this show definitely does not follow a linear time progression.

In reality, they announced the leaders and the 2nds.  Kashara was originally a 2nd for group 4.  So they skipped announcing the 2nds and just put Kashara 2nd announcement in Erica's place.  A real easy fix, but why the subterfuge?

This is not a reality show, it;'s an ALTERNATE REALITY show.

We all know how to tell a half-truth that answers the question, but doesn't lie and gets folks out of your business.  I'm visiting relatives this week and have been employing that tactic regularly.

Southern ladies have two great qualities:  1) throwing shade with a smile, and the recipient not being really sure if they are being insulted or not, and 2) deflecting a question when you overstepped your boundaries, without saying mind your business.   I know Kellie has both skills.

Why not show the leader announcement it how it really happened, and then explain Erica's departure with:  personal health reasons, work opportunity, rule infraction and mutually agreed upon split.  There were a multitude of options.  I know they posted GLs and 2nds somewhere.   Why tell such an easily disprovable lie!

@ShellyB I hope someday we'll find out the low low.

Edited by hypeman
Perfecting my rant.
  • Love 13
58 minutes ago, dccfan37 said:

What's strange is that it definitely used to have Erica's introduction. I watch the show in my apartment clubhouse because I don't have cable and the closed captioning was on tonight for some reason. When they got to group 4, the caption said Erica and then Kelly said Kashara so it was def a recent switch

Yup mine did the same thing. Closed captioning said Erica but it was Kashara's face. Definitely something shady going on. 

57 minutes ago, stargrrl said:

I'm going to make a strong guess there is a legal component to her departure and that's why nobody's talking and it won't be on the show. When it's legal nobody talks.

But if it's legal, shouldn't both parties not be posting anything? Erica was promoting the episode last week and the week before. 

1 hour ago, dccfan37 said:

Whoa!   That's crazy how they didn't fix that... I just turned CC it on my DVR and you are 100% right - it shows "Erica" when they show Kashara!

They aren't going to show Erica if the scenario looks bad for them. Cutting a popular three year vet looks super bad for them.

my guest is K&J have bought way too much into creating drama for the show and are losing sight of their actual job.

Shit up bitching about Selina's weight. For the love of god you have vet willing to show up, be grateful for it.

So as others have said, it looks like Erika's departure was not on good terms...  I hope we are able to find out the truth about what happened on here.  If it was something to do w/ Jenna, just wow.  Erika was such a good dancer and so beautiful.  

• Love 5