Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: The Gloves Are Off

Given the previews show that Heather Locklear I'd Marvin's ex and Ann was played by Courtney Thorne-smith on the last episode either they are going to come to play or the producers just love Melrose Place. Given the time frame I bet there will be a MP themed episode.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Given the time frame I bet there will be a MP themed episode.

They did one last season, Jessica Place. I've never seen a single episode of Melrose Place (not the way Jerry Seinfeld has never seen it; I've really never seen it), so I think I missed a lot of inside jokes on that one.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

They did one last season, Jessica Place. I've never seen a single episode of Melrose Place (not the way Jerry Seinfeld has never seen it; I've really never seen it), so I think I missed a lot of inside jokes on that one.

I remember the ep, but it didn't have actual actors from Melrose Place. Last ep had Courtney in a minor role and the next has Heather in a major role.

Just because a tractor was only in production one year, doesn't mean that a poor farmer in China in the early 20th century would have upgraded to another model the next year!  All that picture proved was that the grandmother (assuming that was actually her in the picture) couldn't have been born much earlier than that year, not that she couldn't have been born later.  Since they were trying to make her older than a specific age, it was basically useless information.

• Love 13

Interesting, this is not the first time Jessica has been unaware about certain American customs or terms, but I'd say this is the first episode where she was more or less goofy clueless. Pretty funny stuff with the whole venting/clinique/closure thing, but hoping it doesn't become a trend.

Also, bonus points for that oversized visor that Jessica was wearing. 

Edited by smash
  • Love 5

Jessica still doesn't know that her favorite bar is a lesbian bar?  You'd think someone would clue her in by now.

I was about to be surprised and confused by Nicole's laziness, but then remembered that she had been forced to repeat eighth grade (and of course, Honey reminded us of that, too), and then, I wasn't as surprised.  At least after Honey and Sarah mended fences (possibly just to an extent), she seemed to be taking her schoolwork and homework seriously again.

So Sarah doesn't have a problem with Honey on a personal level.  It's just that she still wants to see seen as the main female figure in Nicole's life.  She and Marvin had been having problems since well before Honey came along, which was interesting to hear.

Louis, Eddie, Emery, Evan, and Grandma's storyline didn't interest me as much, but at least it had a good payoff with the boys getting Grandma the power chair she wanted, anyway, even if it came at the cost of her making an enemy out of nothing more than her vanity being insulted.

Pretty good episode, though not the best one I've seen this season.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Michel said:

So Sarah doesn't have a problem with Honey on a personal level.  It's just that she still wants to see seen as the main female figure in Nicole's life.  She and Marvin had been having problems since well before Honey came along, which was interesting to hear.

To quote When Harry Met Sally:
Jess: Marriages don't break up on account of infidelity. It's just a symptom that something else is wrong.
Harry: Oh, really? Because that symptom is fucking my wife.

• Love 10

Cranky curmudgeon here --   I hated that Grandma keyed the car.   Hated it.   Much like dog-earing the page of a book, she ruined the resale value of the car just because he easily believed she was over 65 and got her a free motorized chair.   I also thought the claiming false racism was inappropriate as well as the trying to con people at the garage sale.   Really not the best episode, even if they did pull out Locklear.

• Love 17

I had to laugh at the Grandma's birthday being based on the first day she ate steak-- and Louis immediately chiming in with his own steak birthday.

(And I say that as a vegetarian.)

• Love 4

Loved Jessica getting all excited by Honeys science experiment about teeth enamel. "Ohhhh tell me your findings..."

I thought the A plot with Jessica and Honey was the superior story, and I thought Heather Locklear was pretty funny here. Its kind of funny that the older, bio mom is the "fun" parent, while Honey, the sexy fun younger step mom is the one who is trying to get Nicole to get her shit together. In most stories with that dynamic, its the other way around.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Is it just me, or was Heather Locklear terrible in this episode? An over-the-top nasty rival should be right in her wheelhouse after all the campy roles she's played.

Yeah, has it been a while since her last acting job or something?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Is it just me, or was Heather Locklear terrible in this episode? An over-the-top nasty rival should be right in her wheelhouse after all the campy roles she's played.

She was awful. I don't know if the reason is all the facial work she's had done, but she was expressionless thruout the ep. 

Still, I liked this ep. Emory doing the report on grandma was great. He wants to go to heaven. Hee. I loved the one shot where Grandma is watching TV, then you see Evan, Emory, and Louis sitting on the couch just watching her. Louis always cracks me up, like when the boys say, "You don't know her birthday?!" and Louis retorts, "YOU don't know her birthday." 

Lots of fun stuff. I should have jotted down the lines because there were a lot.

• Love 6

Finally watching the episode and...if Wayne and Garth from SNL saw Heather now, I sadly think she wouldn't be worth the schwing.  She could barely move her mouth and not only was it distracting, a zinger like "whore face" lacked the cattiness she was able to deliver 20 years ago. 

Didn't really care much for the episode though Emery's crack about going to heaven was worth a laugh.

• Love 1

I was keyed up at 1am after finally finishing pShield & This Is Us, and decided to watch this show to calm down.  Locklear's bizarre performance only exacerated my problem.

Don't get me wrong, her appearance was a problem, but it wasn't THE problem.

• Love 3
On Wed Feb 22 2017 at 11:11 AM, MortysCleaningLady said:

Cranky curmudgeon here --   I hated that Grandma keyed the car.   Hated it.   Much like dog-earing the page of a book, she ruined the resale value of the car just because he easily believed she was over 65 and got her a free motorized chair.   I also thought the claiming false racism was inappropriate as well as the trying to con people at the garage sale.   Really not the best episode, even if they did pull out Locklear.

Well none of it was supposed to be cheered. All the actions were wrong. That was the point. Jessica was misguided and grandma was vein. Not a good look on either of them but I'm not mad at either of them. It's just conedy. I don't take these things seriously.

I love grandma so much. When she smiles, I always want to smile too. Even if grandma could be mean sometimes I'm glad she generally gets along with the family and loves the boys. It could be to just make her a constant thorn in the parents side or the crude older woman. 

• Love 2
On February 22, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Blakeston said:

It was ilk she completely forgot how to act. Even the most basic of lines were wooden. I've seen better acting in elementary school plays. Her puffy drug/booze face didn't help. 

• Love 6
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:11 AM, MortysCleaningLady said:

Cranky curmudgeon here --   I hated that Grandma keyed the car.   Hated it.   Much like dog-earing the page of a book, she ruined the resale value of the car just because he easily believed she was over 65 and got her a free motorized chair.

I couldn't agree more. It  made a character who I like into someone who was petty and vindictive. She could have used shaving cream, or thrown fish on it from a Chinese stew, or something less damaging and more shark-like.

As for HL (who I couldn't place at first), age isn't kind to any of us. Except Marvin. If Marvin married the younger HL, then he does alright. Though Honey taking his tooth collection seemed out of character.

• Love 2

Actually in order to get a free chair you have to be on Medicare (need 40 quarters (10 years) of work credit to qualify or be married to someone who qualify) and get a letter from your doctor stating you need it.  You can buy into part A but then Grandma should have a Medicare card. It is like when they were  opening a bank account for Evan and debating  what name to use; they would have to show his social security card with his legal name and use that. 

• Love 3

So Grandma is supposed to be only about 65? Wow, I thought she was in her 70s at least.

I felt so sorry for Heather Locklear. She could barely move her face. And I was a little insulted for her that she was considered a contemporary of 69-year-old Ray Wise as his first wife.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I felt so sorry for Heather Locklear. She could barely move her face. And I was a little insulted for her that she was considered a contemporary of 69-year-old Ray Wise as his first wife.

We know that he likes them younger. Why not his first marriage, too?

• Love 1

Heather Locklear was actually stepping in up in this episode. She is in some terrible show on TLC made by Tyler Perry and she is really phoning it in there. It's atrocious.  She had some real emotion in this episode which I know is not saying much.

I will sit at my table alone because I really don't like Jessica. She is completely intolerant of other peoples feelings and is a real bully to boot. I can't stand her.

• Love 1

There were some laughs in this episode, but they need to tone down the craziness of the characters.  Keying the car was way overboard, when the suggestions above would have been just as funny.  Ditto for Jessica claiming racism.  Jessica could just have tattled on how the ex-wife handled the "seat protectors on the floor" customer.  I don't get the Emery suddenly wanting to go to heaven thing.