Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Luthors

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, themadman said:

Is it just me or can the show work just fine without Jimmy, er, James and The Guardian? The characters are adding so little to the show. And I almost never miss James when he's not around much in an episode. 

The show has almost completely gutted James' role and screentime (despite his Guardian arc) this season, so yeah, now he's not adding much to the show. But he could if the writers wanted him to.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, Trini said:

The show has almost completely gutted James' role and screentime (despite his Guardian arc) this season, so yeah, now he's not adding much to the show. But he could if the writers wanted him to.

Yeah, you know, I was thinking about it, and this episode also underscored for me that not only has James lost his primary purpose on the show (love interest), he also lost his secondary purpose from last season as well, that of mentoring the young emerging superhero. That "job" has now been usurped by Kara "mentoring" Mon-El.

I actually do think James has a solid function on the show as a superhero mentor for Kara, and imo it's a role that suited him better than LI did. Somewhat like Cat (but in a very different way, obviously), James is pretty willing to get in Kara's face and challenge her on her superheroing ethics and ask her the hard questions about what kind of superhero she wants to be. Alex, J'onn, and Winn don't ever really do that--it's only ever been Cat and James that have pushed Kara to be the best version of her superhero self. Alex is too dark/pragmatic to care, J'onn looks up to Kara, and Winn idolizes her too much and caves too easily. And while Kara/Cat was a FAR more compelling relationship, now that Cat is gone, I actually think the show would be well served to keep having James ask Kara those hard questions and push back on her. Their conversation when she found out he was the Guardian, and then their conversation this episode, imo showed that Kara having those challenging voices DOES deepen her character and enrich the show. But unfortunately, the show doesn't want to show the "mentor" needing mentoring, I think...plus we all know Kara and Mon-El need 346040564 scenes together apparently.

(This is also why imo the TOTALLY NATURAL role for James to have in the show is as Kara's reporter mentor. Switch him and Snapper and pair James and Kara up as a journalist team, with James showing Kara the ropes. Doing that would be far less contrived than the Guardian BS, give James a clear role, AND force the show to actually focus on Kara Danvers more than once every three episodes.)

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 6

I would have enjoyed Kara/Barry Allen, too. It's a shame he's heading up a different show, as I thought she had more chemistry (and more fun) with him than she has with anyone else.

"Fun" seems to be the major issue with the shipping on all these shows.  For whatever reason, the producers appear to get deadlocked into the same High School-level, unrequited angsty "we can't be together for reasons" dynamic for all their primary couples - who can blame the viewers for latching on to whatever pairings of characters that (gasp!) actually seem to enjoy each others company?  It's amazing how much more chemistry - for example - Barry and Iris have, now that they are (generally) being portrayed as two adults who are open and honest about their feelings.  If they really want Kara and M-E to be a thing, they should write them as people who try to get along and do fun things together - like, you know, a couple.

Otherwise...   I guess I really should wait for next week to pass judgement, but I'm not digging Mr M so far - to me he seemed a little... low key?  I guess if they really wanted a "Russell Brand-lite" type, I wish they would've gotten Paul Amos from Lost Girl - I miss Vex...

• Love 3
21 hours ago, benteen said:

I was thinking Smallville with this too but wasn't Superman friends with Lex in one of the comic continuities as well.

In the main Golden/Silver Age continuity, Lex and Superboy were friends, only to have that friendship broken up when Lex jumped to the conclusion that Superboy sabotaged one of his experiments and left him bald out of jealousy over his scientific prowess. The experiment was to figure a way to make Superboy immune to Kryptonite, IIRC.

There have been several reboots and different versions of Superman since then. In Man of Steel, he only met Luthor once he was in Metropolis. In Birthright, they knew each other as teens for a few months in Smallville, and Luthor erased his memories of that time. In Superman: Secret Origin, he and Lex knew each other in Smallville. There are probably at least a couple other retellings of the story within the main continuity, but I'm not sure what happened in those.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Thank you, Mister Mxyzptlk, for wrecking the tender moment.

I am convinced that Kara's secret superpower is that any first kiss she attempts to have with a guy causes a cliffhanger.

• Love 11
On 2/14/2017 at 5:05 PM, stealinghome said:

With Kara and James, whatever the writing and chemistry fails there, I at least usually understood why Kara was interested in him. Kara being into Mon-El, otoh, makes very little sense to me because she has quite frequently and quite loudly given him a laundry list of all the things she doesn't like and doesn't respect about him, and many of those things have not changed. And Benoist and Wood just don't generate nearly enough chemistry to overcome all the ways in which their characters don't work together.

more broadly, I also struggle to see Kara in a relationship with someone who isn't a True Believer in something (preferably working toward the common good, but SOMETHING). Mon-El is just so...purpose-less even now. On a protagonist of the show level, I also struggle to see her in a relationship that is far more about her partner than herself.

Yes, this is part of why none of it makes any sense.  She actually called Mon-El an arrogant dudebro, and then was basicaly like "whatevs, I still want to kiss you" lol. He's an arrogant dudebro, that Kara would never have romantic interest in.  They're lowering Kara's standards for what is important to her to justify her interest in Mon-El, and that's not cool.  I liked Kara last season.  She doesn't need to change or lower her standards just so they can try and pair her with a guy who isn't really worthy of Supergirl.

• Love 5

Onto the actual episode:

I sort of liked Jimmy better this episode, but at the end of the day, he presents a problem presented above: He's only human, and his only "weapon" is a shield. Not even one that he can throw like Captain America to take out bad guys. So whenever he's fighting hand-to-hand with someone who can trade blows with Supergirl, it doesn't make sense. Winn needs to get some offensive weaponry/additional gadgets ASAP for him.

It's sad to see "stronger together" go by the wayside. Given that there's both J'onn and Mon-el who have no weakness to Kryptonite at their disposal (not to mention some number of other aliens who hang out at the bar), and given that Kara knew she'd not only have to face Metallo but potentially Hank Henshaw 1.0, seems like she should have gotten some backup.

I guess I just need to get over Mxy being a CWized person as opposed to someone who should be played by Peter Dinklage or someone.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, RacerHo7 said:

Yes, this is part of why none of it makes any sense.  She actually called Mon-El an arrogant dudebro, and then was basicaly like "whatevs, I still want to kiss you" lol. He's an arrogant dudebro, that Kara would never have romantic interest in.  They're lowering Kara's standards for what is important to her to justify her interest in Mon-El, and that's not cool.  I liked Kara last season.  She doesn't need to change or lower her standards just so they can try and pair her with a guy who isn't really worthy of Supergirl.

In this episode she alluded to part of her attraction apparently is that, unlike James, Winn and Adam, Mon-El is a powered person and can relate (hypothetically) to some of the issues that she deals with. Which makes it sad that she isn't trying to get into J'onn's long-j'onnz, but whatevs.

2 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

In this episode she alluded to part of her attraction apparently is that, unlike James, Winn and Adam, Mon-El is a powered person and can relate (hypothetically) to some of the issues that she deals with. Which makes it sad that she isn't trying to get into J'onn's long-j'onnz, but whatevs.

I also think Kara's attracted to Mon-el despite herself, as in, she knows he's kind of arrogant but she also knows his heart is in the right place, and that makes her attraction to him easier to understand.  And I'm sorry for MB's real life divorce, because I thought Kara and Adam had real potential and you could see how they sparkled together.  They were rather sweet together :)

I think it would have been an interesting point for Kara to point out that she and Lena weren't Clark and Lex-they used to be best friends and then Lex turned evil, but that doesn't mean Kara and Lena will become enemies or that Lena's secretly evil and playing a long con.  Lena is a gray character and I hope they keep her that way because it's too easy to turn her bad.  And just a side note, Brenda Strong just towered over Katie McGrath--I hadn't realized how tiny she is.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

And just a side note, Brenda Strong just towered over Katie McGrath--I hadn't realized how tiny she is.

Katie's not short, Brenda is an Amazon. Just a hair under six feet.

I meant to mention this earlier: the CGI face of "younger Lillian".  I'm not sure what they based it on but it was a bit unsettling; if they were actually going to go to the trouble, they should have started from her look on Twin Peaks, which, judging from Katie's actual age and the apparent age of "young Lena" would have been in the right ballpark.

On 2017-02-15 at 7:31 AM, themadman said:

Is it just me or can the show work just fine without Jimmy, er, James and The Guardian? The characters are adding so little to the show. And I almost never miss James when he's not around much in an episode. 

No, not just you. In my opinion, in this season it can be strongly seen that many of the regular cast are pretty useless and do nothing, but stand around all day and make moon eyes at their love interests. But then again, this season does not have any strong narative or an arc-story to talk about. Just some random 5-9 min. bad-guys of the week, 15 min. of talking how to get to them and the rest is left for the characters love interests. Sigh, is this Berlanti's MO in every superhero show he produces?

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Love 1

Possibly not so much Berlanti as the CW. Weirdly it was a stronger, more lead character driven show on CBS, which has so often seemed to me as the home of the White Male Leads All shows. Still CBS is also the home of procedurals, and romance can often just be a sidenote over there.

• Love 3

Sooo are we not getting a Prev TV review this week? Unless I missed it somehow? Anyone care to point me to it?

As for the ep, I liked it overall but Cadmus has to get darker and scarier and more threatening to the heroes for this season to get better. Lena continues to be a grey character but I really hope she turns out good for Supergirl while still straddling the fence. Somewhat like Maxwell Lord did at the end of season one. I think Kara really needs a friend outside the confines of family, love interest and work. I do get the feeling that she already knew about who her real parents were, she was just waiting Lillian out to admit it. This also means that Lex could also know already or figured it out early on and is striking out in jealousy and anger over who should have control of Lex Corp. I just want to see Katie McGrath on my screen all the time and on the good side for once.

I really think they have done a huge disservice to Sugergirl.  This season has become a rehash almost of season one only it's all about boring Mon El who is clearly lying to her the whole time he's been here, but Kara is now written as such a wishy, washy, indecisive  puppy that she will forgive anything to find love and acceptance. Which is not how she was on CBS. I get the feeling that the CW really wanted a Superman spinoff but couldn't find any one to bite and took the last character that looked like a superman that they could get away with- Mon El. Every scene they have is cringe worthy and eye rolling. MR Mkxy should liven things up but I get the feeling it will end with Kara and Mon El falling into each others arms and declaring their great love for each other blah blah blah. They are pushing this forward despite the lack of chemistry these two have.

Edited by rtms77
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, kalamac said:

Possibly not so much Berlanti as the CW. Weirdly it was a stronger, more lead character driven show on CBS, which has so often seemed to me as the home of the White Male Leads All shows. Still CBS is also the home of procedurals, and romance can often just be a sidenote over there.

CBS was interested in the show particularly for its feminist message, though. The since-departed Nina Tassler was pretty up-front about that. Clearly the feminist element of the show (which I agree was often clunky and heavy-handed in S1) didn't matter to the writers/showrunners themselves, given this season.

I agree that CBS is the land of Bland White Male Lead, but the CW is the land of Bland White Male Bad Boy *has* to be drooled over by the leading lady.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3
On 2/15/2017 at 9:53 PM, kitmerlot1213 said:

I also think Kara's attracted to Mon-el despite herself, as in, she knows he's kind of arrogant but she also knows his heart is in the right place, and that makes her attraction to him easier to understand.  And I'm sorry for MB's real life divorce, because I thought Kara and Adam had real potential and you could see how they sparkled together.  They were rather sweet together :)

I think it would have been an interesting point for Kara to point out that she and Lena weren't Clark and Lex-they used to be best friends and then Lex turned evil, but that doesn't mean Kara and Lena will become enemies or that Lena's secretly evil and playing a long con.  Lena is a gray character and I hope they keep her that way because it's too easy to turn her bad.  And just a side note, Brenda Strong just towered over Katie McGrath--I hadn't realized how tiny she is.

How does Kara know Mon-El's heart is in the right place?  What has he done that has shown this....other than nothing? Trying to save her because he likes her, but ignoring people who need help? Drinking club soda?  Talking about Kara while on a date with someone else?  That "heart is in the right place" isn't real on this show because it hasn't actually happened.  He's arrogant and entitled (remember how he acted when Kara rejected him).  That's not how you behave if "your heart is in the right place."  You don't try to make the person who rejected you feel guilty for that.  The old Kara would know the difference.  The dialogue doesn't match what's actually happened on the show.

The show was better for Kara on CBS.  She had real story lines all season long in season 1, and the relationships between the main characters were a focus. The CW version is full of cliches and sexist tropes. They also seem less interested in the relationships among the core characters. It's a noticeable difference. I watch the Flash and this show with my husband and son.  They both can not stand Mon-El.  My husband asks every single episode, "Why is he here when he's making Supergirl less awesome?" Plus, my son can see the sexist tropes they are using. If a 13 yr old boy can see the sexist tropes, then they're obvious. 

As for Lena, I like her being a gray character.   I love Brenda Strong as Lillian, and I wish we had seen more of her all season long.  She plays an awesome villain.

• Love 5
On 2/17/2017 at 3:56 PM, rtms77 said:

Sooo are we not getting a Prev TV review this week? Unless I missed it somehow? Anyone care to point me to it?

It looks like PTV isn't recapping it anymore. (Or The Flash.)

10 hours ago, Reiki said:

Quick question........has Jimmy ever not had his butt kicked to make the claim of being a Superhero?

Well, he's a superhero because of that fancy hi-tech suit that he's wearing, which Winn made. But, sometimes that does not help him (e.g., getting shot at or getting electrocuted at). But, if that only takes for him to be a super-hero, why doesn't Winn make these hi-tech combat suits for every DEO member out there? I mean, Supergirl would be essentially out of a job, but Kara would live her life as she wanted in S1 - be a reporter and have a normal life. Up until someone in DEO goes rouge and she's forced to get back into action... Hmm...

On 2/14/2017 at 5:44 PM, djinn said:

Yes, same here. I just wish they were devoting more time to developing Kara and Mon-El, and writing them way, way better. Also, not sure why they couldn't spend some more time on Mon-El and how he is changing. There is the backstory of their respective planets hating each other: it almost has a Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet vibe. They are quite different but also similar and at one level they understand each other, which Kara would never find with a human. But the story development leaves a LOT to be desired. At least, I find them better than James/Kara, which I found to be totally excruciating. I think the writers really cannot write budding romance as well as as after the romance has been established. I found the early courtship of Alex and Maggie quite cringy, as also the early parts of J'onn and M'gann. Later, both couples became very likeable

Lol develop more time to Douche-el/Kara? No thanks he practically is attached to her hip already and hogs/steals more screen time when it could be given to Kara/Alex sis time or Kara/J'onn/Alex/Winn time

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Well, he's a superhero because of that fancy hi-tech suit that he's wearing, which Winn made. But, sometimes that does not help him (e.g., getting shot at or getting electrocuted at). But, if that only takes for him to be a super-hero, why doesn't Winn make these hi-tech combat suits for every DEO member out there? I mean, Supergirl would be essentially out of a job, but Kara would live her life as she wanted in S1 - be a reporter and have a normal life. Up until someone in DEO goes rouge and she's forced to get back into action... Hmm...

It actually makes me wonder just where the heck the Guardian suit even came from. I mean, it's a bulletproof suit of armor with a retractable shield that apparently can take anything thrown at it with the wearer only being knocked around, the R&D costs not to mention the cost for building an actually functional suit would probably go up into the millions to be as effective as it is and while Winn was the one who designed and built it who the heck actually paid for it? Otherwise I honestly find Guardian a decent enough superhero and it's nice to see a Jimmy Olson that actually does something beyond just following Superman around and being a hostage, but they're really going to have to start breaking out the sci fi weaponry and have Jimmy become a better and more strategic fighter if they want me to find Jimmy going head to head with the likes of Metallo believable.

My problem with Kara/Mon-El is the same problem I have with Alex/Maggie, the ones on the latter half of the ship both have no actual purpose or role on the show beyond "Being Kara/Alex's Love Interest". Mon-El isn't out there kicking ass as a superhero or otherwise doing anything relevant to the actual plot and Maggie is rarely even seen doing her actual job and when she is it's so Alex can swoop in on her crime scene and take over the whole investigation instead of Maggie herself actually doing something. It is fine for characters to be intended to function as love interests, as long as said characters have reason to exist outside of that and plenty of it. These "relationships" would go over a LOT better if Kara/Mon-El and Alex/Maggie moments were significantly dialed down to be several episodes apart with the interactions between the two being more normal and the latter half given something to do.

I REALLY hope that Lena is completely on the level, because if she is just conning everybody she's putting up WAY too good an act and if she is good but turns evil it will feel contrived, especially since it's really just a rehash the same plots with Maxwell Lord on this show and Lex Luthor in Smallville respectively. A corporate head that genuinely does good would be refreshing in so many different ways and the least of which is not having the protagonist at odds with them for really stupid, cliche, and cartoonish supervillain reasons.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, immortalfrieza said:

I REALLY hope that Lena is completely on the level, because if she is just conning everybody she's putting up WAY too good an act and if she is good but turns evil it will feel contrived, especially since it's really just a rehash the same plots with Maxwell Lord on this show and Lex Luthor in Smallville respectively.

I agree. People keep calling her a grey character, but... is she, really? Sure, the camera lingers on her sometimes while ominous music plays and she has an inscrutable expression on her face, but have we seen her do anything that even comes close to putting her on the black hat side? The only thing I can think of is inventing a device that indicates whether or not someone is an alien, but that's pushing it. If she goes full evil later on, I'm not going to buy it, because so far, even in private, even in the company of bad people who are trying hard to get her on their side, she's not budging.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

I agree. People keep calling her a grey character, but... is she, really? Sure, the camera lingers on her sometimes while ominous music plays and she has an inscrutable expression on her face, but have we seen her do anything that even comes close to putting her on the black hat side? The only thing I can think of is inventing a device that indicates whether or not someone is an alien, but that's pushing it. If she goes full evil later on, I'm not going to buy it, because so far, even in private, even in the company of bad people who are trying hard to get her on their side, she's not budging.

I agree, I don't see anything morally grey about Lena yet, if anything she has been easily as good a person as Supergirl herself so far, and as you said with no signs of duplicity even while by herself or with villains. Even if Maxwell Lord and Liliah Luthor hadn't pulled both the "Well Intentioned Extremist" and "Knight Templar" cards already even that would be quite a stretch for Lena's character at this point. Even if it wasn't OOC for Lena to go bad I just don't want to see her go down such a boring and utterly predictable road regardless.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 3

I wonder if Lena is talked about as a gray hat right now more because she seems willing to play dirtier than we generally expect Team Supergirl to play than because she's actually evil. It could in part be a question of methods. (I would LIKE to give the writers credit for subverting our own expectations of a Luthor and showing us our own biases, but--they're not that smart.)

I could buy Lena going dark gray--for me the alien detector is definitely a big thing, like just because she doesn't want to slaughter every alien doesn't necessarily mean she's without her prejudices that could be worked on--BUT I think the show would, at this point, have to devote an entire season to her slow slide toward evil for me to find it believable. They've done too much in the last few episodes to make her seem admirable and a clear Good Guy (well, Girl) for me to buy a heel turn without a LOT of work being done.

• Love 1
On 2/15/2017 at 4:04 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Onto the actual episode:

I sort of liked Jimmy better this episode, but at the end of the day, he presents a problem presented above: He's only human, and his only "weapon" is a shield. Not even one that he can throw like Captain America to take out bad guys. So whenever he's fighting hand-to-hand with someone who can trade blows with Supergirl, it doesn't make sense. Winn needs to get some offensive weaponry/additional gadgets ASAP for him.

On 2/14/2017 at 2:48 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

They really need to get rid of this whole Guardian arc. So Jimmy/Guardian can somehow infiltrate a prison and go toe to toe with Metallo, what, because he has a black belt and a shield. It was utterly ridiculous especially since Metallo, after beating Guardian ripped a cell door off it's hinges. The suit and shield are not made of indestructible metal. That shield should have been destroyed and Jimmy should have had broken bones, not a bruise on his shoulder. It took a double team of a Kryptonian and someone in a super powered krypto suit to take him down last time. And yes I know it was synthed kryptonite and he was presumably weaker, but still cell door.

Jimmy's fight with Metallo, including his entrance to the prison, was absolutely ridiculous.  Then either Alex or Kara, I think, explained Jimmy's very few injuries by stating that it was a good thing that he hadn't received any direct hits from Metallo.

• Love 1
On 2/16/2017 at 2:53 AM, kitmerlot1213 said:

And just a side note, Brenda Strong just towered over Katie McGrath--I hadn't realized how tiny she is.

As kariyaki said much more Brenda Strong being really tall. I knew Katie McGrath in college and while that was a billion years ago unless she's shrunk in the last fifteen years or so she's average height, maybe on the shorter side of average but not someone you'd describe as short.

I guess I was wrong about Lena being 'adopted' as an excuse for any accent lapses since 'Young Lena' was obviously not Irish. That said I don't know why they made Lena so young. Based on the maths and the age of 'Young Lena' Lena must only be about 24 when her actress is nearly a full decade older.

I do kind of wish we'd get to see Lena hang out with someone other than Kara (not that they don't have great scenes together) or Lillian.

7 hours ago, DigitalCount said:

I thought they were going to have her be nerd-buddies with Winn, but I guess that was a one-time thing.

Me too.

I'm honestly surprised they don't; Katie McGrath could have onscreen chemistry with a rock and fellow genius Winn is surely the obvious candidate - I don't even mean in a romantic relationship sort of way, but a 'hey we both have supervillians in the family' at least makes a clear icebreaker..

• Love 3
On 14/02/2017 at 7:48 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

So Jimmy/Guardian can somehow infiltrate a prison and go toe to toe with Metallo, what, because he has a black belt and a shield. 

I was wondering why Winn didn't make one of those shields for Kara since it is apparently indestructible and deflects kryptonite. Or, I don't know, have the Guardian give his shield to Kara while the Kryptonite powered bad guy is around? 

I actually did enjoy this episode but as usual the only way to make the plot work is for Supergirl to be emotional and neutered in terms of her powers.

On 20/02/2017 at 1:43 AM, kalamac said:

I've seen a few theories that the whole chess move thing Lena did after Kara left is a subtle hint that she's part of Checkmate. That would be interesting.

I like that idea. It also allows Lena to be playing a long con while also not being "evil".

Liked the episode - even the remance was fairly well handled (I thought the Alex coming out bit was entirely believable, with everyone going, "Oh THIS is your partner. Well, Great! Congratulations!" to cover their surprise - well other than Hank, obviously). Sure everyone rushed to condemn Lena but you'd think MaLuthor would try to get off legally rather than jailbreak.

Definitely getting the Lena/Kara vibe, though I suspect two lesbian couples on a network show would be the sort of thing that would have Executives saying, "Do we really need ANOTHER gay couple?" Maybe I'm doing them a disservice.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:21 AM, statsgirl said:

Snapper was a good teacher for a change.

Yeah, I loved his, "The story today is she's guilty. Maybe tomorrow we'll say she's innocent." Kara is truly naive to believe he WOULDN'T run a story just because it would hurt Lena.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:23 AM, Trini said:

So are parts of Smallville canon for this show? Lillian said Clark and Lex used to be best friends

I was wondering that too!

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:01 AM, Artsda said:

James is the worst, why did Kat leave her business to him again? He just changes covers to declare someone is guilty without having another side or even considering alternative options? Pretty biased and one-sided for a journalist

Unlike Snapper, who has to say SOMETHING when a prominent figure gets arrested, Jimmy really had no excuse. I would have been fine with him saying, "The evidence suggests she's guilty, so that's what we're going to say, even if she is your friend." But to go "Guilty in the court of public opinion! Don't need to talk to her or have it go to trial, just lock her up!" was pretty awful.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:21 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I'm not into the What's In The Box arc with whatever technology Lena and her mom found before Supergirl showed up.

Maybe it's the Omegahedron from the Supergirl movie! (Shudder)

• Love 1
On 2/27/2017 at 0:27 PM, John Potts said:

Definitely getting the Lena/Kara vibe, though I suspect two lesbian couples on a network show would be the sort of thing that would have Executives saying, "Do we really need ANOTHER gay couple?" Maybe I'm doing them a disservice.

I think it would be more two coming out stories in close succession that is a bigger factor than having two same sex couples. The show spent quite a lot of time and 'big moments' on Alex coming terms with who she is and entering a relationship. Doing that again almost immediately after would feel like a narrative retread.

That said as I've said before I think the Lena/Kara vibes are more because the show is very reluctant to put Lena in scenes with any character other than her own mother or Kara. If Katie McGrath ever interacted with David Harewood, Jeremy Jordan or Mechad Brooks I'm sure there would shipping vibes pretty much straight away.

As I've said before, I watched Merlin and Katie McGrath was shipped with every character she interacted with. She had amazing chemistry with everybody. It's just a Katie McGrath thing. Like with Merlin, it would be better if such ideas were limited to fan fiction. The crazy shippers were the worst thing about that show. And that's saying something considering the nosediving quality of it.

• Love 1
On 2017-02-27 at 5:27 AM, John Potts said:

Liked the episode - even the remance was fairly well handled (I thought the Alex coming out bit was entirely believable, with everyone going, "Oh THIS is your partner. Well, Great! Congratulations!" to cover their surprise - well other than Hank, obviously). Sure everyone rushed to condemn Lena but you'd think MaLuthor would try to get off legally rather than jailbreak.

Yeah, I loved his, "The story today is she's guilty. Maybe tomorrow we'll say she's innocent." Kara is truly naive to believe he WOULDN'T run a story just because it would hurt Lena.

I was wondering that too!

Unlike Snapper, who has to say SOMETHING when a prominent figure gets arrested, Jimmy really had no excuse. I would have been fine with him saying, "The evidence suggests she's guilty, so that's what we're going to say, even if she is your friend." But to go "Guilty in the court of public opinion! Don't need to talk to her or have it go to trial, just lock her up!" was pretty awful.

Maybe it's the Omegahedron from the Supergirl movie! (Shudder)

Maxwell Lord should actually have that device since we saw it with him at the end of last season. Non was using it to help his plans along.

On 2/28/2017 at 8:10 AM, Lazlo said:

If Katie McGrath ever interacted with David Harewood, Jeremy Jordan or Mechad Brooks I'm sure there would shipping vibes pretty much straight away.

Maybe James should interact with her in the course of his business.  They would make a stunning couple.

• Love 4
On 2/18/2017 at 5:55 PM, Reiki said:

Quick question........has Jimmy ever not had his butt kicked to make the claim of being a Superhero?

Guardian has won fights against other armed humans, including the unnamed bad guy who adopted a persona because his family was killed by someone who got acquitted on a technicality, hunted that person down and decided he liked being quasi-Dexter, then kinda-sorta framed Guardian for killing a bad guy. He has had brief on-screen successes, though.

The fact that he has walked away with no injuries after clashing with Live Wire, the Live Wire-lites and Metallo again defies description and belief.

• Love 1