Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: As Good As It Getz

Riggs and Murtaugh must work with DEA agent Karen Palmer to protect an ambulance-chasing attorney who is linked to the cartel; Riggs sees Agent Palmer in a new light; Trish makes a spontaneous decision

21 minutes ago, paigow said:

Riggs and Murtaugh must work with DEA agent Karen Palmer to protect an ambulance-chasing attorney who is linked to the cartel; Riggs sees Agent Palmer in a new light; Trish makes a spontaneous decision

I don't know why and I have no support for it but I feel like Karen Palmer will turn out to be bad. 

Leo Getz was *phenomenal*. A great take on the character with a strong actor. I love how the TV show takes these iconic roles and grounds them to create ones that are recognizable from the movie but more complex and well-rounded.

Chase Crawford. It's amazing how he can make such a sloppy character so damn appealing. He really does have strong chemistry with Palmer.

That conversation with Riggs, Murtaugh and the taco stand guy in lockup was hilarious!

• Love 7

Fun episode.  I like the Riggs/Palmer pairing.  They are not entirely unenjoyable.    

Murtaugh was right Riggs has never acted more normal.  Hiding in a morgue to avoid a girl.

Out of the mouths of cockroaches right Murtaugh?  

I am not sure what to make of Trish's storyline.  Are they trying to make her more connected to the main plot.  ADA or something?  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am not sure what to make of Trish's storyline.  Are they trying to make her more connected to the main plot.  ADA or something?  

That's what I think too.  

I really liked the episode too.  I like Hillary Burton but not always as a love interest. But she's working for me here both as a colleague and a potential love interest.  I do worry a bit, though.  She was targeted in this episode and they captured some of the masterminds but didn't she also mention a potential DEA leak?  They never caught that person and I would assume he/she is still out there.

My favorite moment of the episode, though, is probably when the Captain was giving his press conference thanking the police, the DEA and pausing before he said Leo Getz. I hope Thomas Lennon can find the time to show up again. 

• Love 2

I confess to not being a fan of Leo Getz in the movies (UO but Pesci's drove me crazy), but I can stick with this version. Solid performance.

Riggs/Palmer are alright, although at times it felt like I was watching a grown up, LAPD version of Calvin and Susie from Calvin and Hobbes, if that makes any sense. However... I have a low secondhand-embarrassment tolerance, so Murtaugh's lack of subtlety was a little excruciating. (Why must people go on about the "tension" and "chemistry" between two other characters, instead of just letting me see it onscreen?)

That being said, I liked the scene in the morgue. Roger was right, and it was amusing to see Riggs try to be unassuming and nonchalant while hiding in a morgue to avoid talking to a girl. There was also a tiny moment, when Palmer got the gunman to talk, when Riggs was really impressed. I really like the way that moment was played.

• Love 2

I'm not really sold on Leo Getz but the actor has been good in other things and this show has been making all the right decisions so far so they've earned some latitude.  Maybe the character will grow on me as they flesh him out more.  

I like the DEA Agent.  Not really getting a villain vibe from her but I do wonder if she's in line for a bad end.  Just a little more misery on the tragic story that is Riggs.  

The Trish thing seemed to come out of left field to me but I guess I can see how they'd want to place her closer to the story, especially if the decision has been made by the writers to use her more.  If she does end up working with Leo, that could potentially be pretty funny.

• Love 2

Why was there no Jerry Maguire scene of Trish frantically trying to retain clients on a split screen with the other person promoted to partner???

Strategically, a Trish-Leo partnership would work...all the Personal Injury pays the bills while high profile criminal cases can get them off the bus and onto TV ads. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, RandomMe said:

(Why must people go on about the "tension" and "chemistry" between two other characters, instead of just letting me see it onscreen?)

^ THIS.  I hate it when shows use third party characters to tell the audience that there's romantic chemistry between two other characters. First Scorsese does it in the diner and then, barely 30 seconds later, Murtaugh is doing it in the Captain's office.  Show, don't tell. And don't force.  Riggs already kissing Palmer in the elevator at the end seems too soon considering how embedded in his grief he's been all season.

Palmer.  I liked the character during her initial appearance in the show but I was extremely disappointed with how the writers dealt with her this time around. Of course the female agent has to point out how the man rebuffed her dinner invitation to his coworkers and boss. Of course she needs a hug from a man after her brush with death. Riggs and Murtaugh nearly die every episode but they just shrug it off. Of course she falls asleep at work. No need to stay and keep working the clues, not when manly Riggs is soldiering on, staying up to work and, oh, btw, tucking her in for the night.  And of course she ends up needing to be rescued.  Because that whole woman thing.  I don't think Palmer did one thing this episode to show me that she's competent in her job.

I love this show but I was disappointed beyond words at how the writers handled the gender roles.  To quote my 13 year old son, "She's not very good, is she?"  :-(

I couldn't even enjoy the Leo character because I was constantly being taken out of the story by the next cringe worthy thing Palmer did.

• Love 4

I think it makes sense for Murtaugh to point out the chemistry, if not for else, they have no bounderies, always tease each other, and he obviously knew this would embarrass Riggs. I bought that. I also liked Leo, and the fact that they did not try to recreate his vibe from the movies, but went with a fairly different character instead. The only common thing is that they both talk a lot, and think about their own personal gains. I love this show, I think they nailed it. Heck, the series is probably considerably better than any of the movies, with the exception of the first one. 

• Love 3

I like Lt Dangle as Leo Getz.  That man is great in everything and is so underrated.  Riggs always looks like he crawled out of a dumpster!  He needed a shower worse than the homeless lady witness.  Have we confirmed that the "architect" is Riggs's father in law?  

• Love 1

I wouldn't like Riggs' father in law turning out to be a major cartel player. Granted, we haven't seen much from him, but he doesn't look like the kind of man who would go for this. I guess they could use the "he had to protect his family" plot gimmick, but please don't. I think the best thing with this show would be to not have a huge finale with any kind of reveal or big plot mystery. Leave all that, and concentrate on what's working, simple stories with these two continuing to build their chemistry. Then you can do a somewhat different storyline in season 2, maybe with a political figure who has, I don't know, "diplomatic immunityyyyy"!!! If you guys know what I mean. ;) :)

Edited by Zolo
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, paigow said:

The architect is dead in the elevator...

I don't think it was confirmed 100% that dead elevator guy was the architect. 

3 hours ago, Zolo said:

I wouldn't like Riggs' father in law turning out to be a major cartel player. Granted, we haven't seen much from him, but he doesn't look like the kind of man who would go for this. I guess they could use the "he had to protect his family" plot gimmick, but please don't. I think the best thing with this show would be to not have a huge finale with any kind of reveal or big plot mystery. Leave all that, and concentrate on what's working, simple stories with these two continuing to build their chemistry. 

I'm thinking the father in law is like Gus from Breaking Bad...drug kingpin hiding in plain sight. Rigg's wife was killed and he thought it was the cartel a few episodes back. The cartel said no, but I'm sure it was and it was because of his father in law. 

I really liked Getz, and I LOVED him being able to tell Murtaugh something about his wife.  Murtaugh knows his wife is an amazing badass, but Getz was able to give him another perspective on her, and a valuable one.  I liked that even thought he neither really liked nor admired the source, Murtaugh took in the information and appreciated it.  I'd love to see Trish work with him.

• Love 1

I liked this episode, but...instead of Riggs hiding like a little school-kid from Palmer, they should have brought it around to his dead wife. I think Murtaugh mentioned it, but I think for Riggs' own sake and progression, he needs to admit it and deal with it.

No, it's not going to go away overnight (if ever). It will always be a part of who he is. Now, I don't want this show to become Riggs and his grief (and perhaps we've had enough of that.) But there are only so many ways you can "paint" a character on TV. Better grief than acting like a school kid, and HIDING from a woman. I felt...embarrassed when I saw that.

Please let them have to go undercover at some point during which Riggs is forced to shave his fucking head. The constant, pulling and flipping and rubbing and tossing of that ridiculous greasy hair pulls me out of every scene. Ugh.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, JackONeill said:

I liked this episode, but...instead of Riggs hiding like a little school-kid from Palmer, they should have brought it around to his dead wife. I think Murtaugh mentioned it, but I think for Riggs' own sake and progression, he needs to admit it and deal with it.

No, it's not going to go away overnight (if ever). It will always be a part of who he is. Now, I don't want this show to become Riggs and his grief (and perhaps we've had enough of that.) But there are only so many ways you can "paint" a character on TV. Better grief than acting like a school kid, and HIDING from a woman. I felt...embarrassed when I saw that.

I don't get why you would think that he was hiding out because of shyness, to me it was obvious that he was hiding because of his wife. He felt something for Palmer, and because of that, he felt guilty and unsure. I even thought that he acted this guilt out pretty well in a couple of scenes. Then he simply went out of his comfort zone, and let it happen. Also, Riggs not admitting much is also on point with th character. He obviously hasn't moved on yet, and doesn't really like to talk about it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Zolo said:

I don't get why you would think that he was hiding out because of shyness, to me it was obvious that he was hiding because of his wife. He felt something for Palmer, and because of that, he felt guilty and unsure. I even thought that he acted this guilt out pretty well in a couple of scenes. Then he simply went out of his comfort zone, and let it happen. Also, Riggs not admitting much is also on point with th character. He obviously hasn't moved on yet, and doesn't really like to talk about it.

He deliberately hid in autopsy, no two ways about that. Then, when she came back into the precinct room, he tried to hide in his desk. Yeah, I know he tried to make it comical but it failed (IMO). I could almost accept "not being around" when she left. Yes, he's still grieving. But everyone knows that, including Palmer. He should have just owned up to it to Palmer. She would have understand. It is called being an adult.

I'm afraid they'd rather play it for laughs vs how adults actually lead their lives.

And I've been a widower for five years. I have had no formal dates, but have been out with women. I see the inevitable, but it is slow going. I am in hurry, which is fine with me.

I applaud the show for taking its time with the love interest for Riggs.  It is so refreshing.

And Riggs' hair drives me crazy too!!  Why would any man want to deal with that constant flopping in the eyes?

It bothers me that Murtagh's and Trish's kids are not more of a constant presence.  Even if they are not in a scene have the tv on in the other room or some music playing or something!  And how long has it been since they were all present in the same episode?  It is like in the contract that you can only have 1 kid in an episode.

• Love 1

I've never been a Hilarie Burton fan, but I don't mind her in this role. What I tend to have something of an issue with is how the role is written. In this episode, Palmer seemed ineffectual and powerless, unaware of her surroundings, didn't contribute anything, was largely a non-entity on the professional front, and was constantly set up to be the damsel in distress and to make comments re: the date that never was, how she always knew Riggs would be in bed with her, etc. 

The comments from other characters re: their chemistry, etc., etc., were too ham-handed for me. If the chemistry is there and if it's that blatantly obvious, it shouldn't require numerous comments from the peanut gallery. The kiss was, well, it happened. I think this is another downside of the episodes being shown out of order: it was pretty recent that Riggs went into an extreme downward spiral of guilt re: betraying Miranda with his one night stand, yet now he's at a place where he can kiss Palmer? It didn't quite ring true for me. 

All things being equal, all I can say is that Palmer is no Lorna. However, I do understand the necessity of the storyline.

In all other ways, I think the show is really hitting its stride, in terms of the characterizations, interactions, and how it blends drama/suspense/humor/action.

Random thoughts: 

Riggs' hair hadn't bothered me in past episodes. It did in this one: it's officially a distraction - he had to push it back so many times. Time to get a haircut. 

I really like Trish.

Thomas Lennon is now my favorite Leo Getz. He needs to be a permanent fixture on this show. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, rove4 said:

The episodes have been shown out of order? Ugh. Why do networks do that?  What's the proper order then?

I didn't realize that either.  It can't be too out of sync since Trish just quit her job. 

On 2/17/2017 at 4:59 PM, gibasi said:

I applaud the show for taking its time with the love interest for Riggs.  It is so refreshing.

I used to watch a show called "Go On" it started out great about group therapy and they focused on the whole group instead of just one guy. Then it turned into less group with the show trying to get the recently widowed character laid. It didn't last more than one season and it was pretty bad at the end. I'm hoping, as well, that they take their time with Riggs. 

Did they ever talk about whether Riggs's parents are still alive or not? Because I want to see Tom Waits play Riggs's father. 

On 2/18/2017 at 7:08 PM, Commando Cody said:

I used to watch a show called "Go On" it started out great about group therapy and they focused on the whole group instead of just one guy. Then it turned into less group with the show trying to get the recently widowed character laid. It didn't last more than one season and it was pretty bad at the end. I'm hoping, as well, that they take their time with Riggs.

I watched that show too -- or rather, the first half season of it. I did lose interest when it because about who was/wasn't sleeping with whom. The developing friendships (+ John Cho) made for much better stories. So I'm in no hurry about Riggs either.

• Love 1

The episode was pretty good but I really hope they don't make Getz a recurring character. I'm worried they will since Trish is now working with (for?) him.