Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Shiizakana

The FBI is called in to investigate the discovery of a truck driver's body, seemingly torn apart by two separate species of animal working in tandem, neither of which consumed their kill. After one of his therapy sessions, Will meets Hannibal's strange new patient, Margot Verger. Will and Margot compare notes on Hannibal and his unconventional advice. Continually encouraging his patients to revel in what they are, Hannibal aims to determine Will's true self by sending him a test, the results of which surprise even Hannibal.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3bZqSw-bg0

Geez! Well, the show isn't letting up in the "let's-pack-in-everything" category!

I just hope  that Jack is in on every inch of what's going on; no way the dead man could get swept under the rug/covered up after Will's less than quiet internment/imprisonment.

Buster better be healed or on the way to be healed. Dude shouldn't've messed with The Pack- they ALL protect each other.

I love Hannibal's promo monkeys; they tease us mercilessly in the correct way!

Still processessing.

Sooo we've veered completely from the books then?

Even Steven  As got to be the two greatest words Will has ever said.

Loved the conversation between Will and Margot when they were talking about their "private carnage".  Margot trying to kill her brother and Will trying to kill Dr. Lecter and then Margot saying to  Will that he probably didn't get her advise ,"If at first you don't succeed."  The look on Will's face was priceless.    I now officially ship those crazy kids.  Wait!  Did she say she was gay?  Oh well.  

Edited by ChaosTheory
  • Love 1

Will may be playing the long game, but if the antlers and the classical music are any indication he has the very real potential to become what Hannibal wants him to be.  His nightmares have returned and gotten quite a bit darker and direct; him controlling the stag is ominous.  And delivering his kill directly to the dinner table?  What could please Hannibal more.

This was a fascinating look at what Hannibal really does as a psychiatrist.  I love this interpretation, that he helps the truly broken people not by curing them, but by helping them to seem cured, so that they can really embrace their dysfunction.  Of course he can reach them and convince them, because he understands them.  No wonder he is so interested in having Will in his menagerie, someone who can understand him.  I picture him following the careers of his little...artists...from afar.  He seemed so proud of the would-be bear, even if he was willing to sacrifice him to further transform Will.  There were a lot of 'Silence' echoes in this one.

I cannot decide if Jack is really in on this or not.  He looked uncomfortable for a moment when Hannibal was describing the dish, but I'm not sure if that was wondering about the animal in question or just the idea of an offal omelette.  Hannibal seems so natural speaking to him with little tidbits of his personal history.  He makes a convincing friend.

I liked Will and Margot's interaction.  Despite very different backgrounds, they have a lot in common.  No wonder they are both Hannibal's patients.  I liked that they were curious enough about each other to do their research.  And I don't believe for a moment that there appointments are back to back by chance.  That was an orchestrated meeting.

I also hope Buster will make a full recovery.  I was so nervous when he went darting off into the woods.

• Love 4

I don't know, Will.  You don't have to play games with Hannibal.  All you would have to do is show what Randal did to poor Buster, and I'm sure even Jack would let you get off scot-free!

So, that last act was something.  Hannibal sicked crazy Randal on Will.  Either he was trying to get revenge on Will or, as someone mentioned above, he wanted Will to kill someone else.  Hell, with Hannibal, he probably doesn't give a shit.  Either ending would have been great for him. You are such a dick, Hannibal, and yet I don't want you to go away.  At the same time, I'm thinking/hoping that Will knows exactly what is going on, and is playing Will back.  Their battle of wits is just fascinating to watch.

Aww... Will has a new friend!  Will and Margot Verger comparing notes on Hannibal was great. I'm already starting to dig the Margot character, despite only being in two episodes.

Enjoyed the episode, but, again, it felt a bit like an old-school S1 episode.  It kind of feels like these past two episodes have been well-done, entertaining fillers, that are preparing for the craziness that has to go down in these last few episodes.  I mean, we have to meet Mason, right? And, by the finale, Jack has to finally get his head out of the sand and be like "Oh, shit!  Will was right!"  We have about four episodes left, right?  I can only imagine what Hannibal Lector, Will Graham, and Bryan Fuller is cooking up for the endgame.

Edited by thuganomics85

This was a fascinating look at what Hannibal really does as a psychiatrist.  I love this interpretation, that he helps the truly broken people not by curing them, but by helping them to seem cured, so that they can really embrace their dysfunction.  ...   No wonder he is so interested in having Will in his menagerie

This is exactly what I'm thinking.  Though I was in doubt last week, I'm back to being sure that Will is in control of himself and his interactions with Hannibal (yes, he's still a tortured soul, but he was before any of this started).  I think Will probably already sensed what Hannibal does as a psychiatrist but that his conversation with the Jeremy Davies character ("anyone can be trained") and finding out about CaveBear guy's past as a Hannibal patient confirmed his theory.  

In other words, NBC promo monkeys are framing things one way, while Fuller & Co are going another.

Interesting that Will decided to reveal Dr.DuMaurier's visit to Hannibal at this point.  Anyone have a theory as to that timing?

So, if you're Jack and you're with Will (and that's where I think things are), do you decide that possibly eating a few cannibalistic meals are the price to pay for catching a serial killer? 

• Love 3

You just knew it was going to end really badly for Randall Tier the moment you saw poor little Buster whimpering and bloody in the snow. That's the line you do not cross with Will Graham. 

That was an incredibly emotional and intensely intimate episode. I loved Will's murder scenario nightmare realisation that he's Hannibal's beloved, the conscious deployment of the nightmare stag as a tool, and of course the 'therapy' sessions. Those close-ups were insane. It was a love scene, straight up. 

More coherent thoughts after I've watched the episode another ten times or so to try to make sense of it.

• Love 6

I was screaming at Will to shoot the MF and get Buster to the animal emergency room ASAP.

Did Dickie Bennett (forgot his character's name) smuggle a fancy (pet) rat into that place because that sure wasn't a wild rat. I love ratties. I use to have one.

• Love 1
Interesting that Will decided to reveal Dr.DuMaurier's visit to Hannibal at this point.  Anyone have a theory as to that timing?

I was surprised when he did that.  It must be part of his psycho-warfare strategy to knock Hannibal off stride, as he was clearly taken aback.

I was so scared for Buster!

• Love 3

Margot is just the best.  Please can she stay?  I don't know why Will chose to reveal Dr Dumarier' s visit but Hannibal seemed oddly uncomfortable by that news.  Will drops these charming nuggets of candor.  Between that and his crazy long eyelashes Hannibal must be smitten.

Will' s confidence with Margot was quite interesting.  He seemed very in control and very direct with her.  Not shy and barely awkward.  

Oh and Hannibal in that dorky earflap hat was the best thing ever.

• Love 3

I'm not sure the meeting between Margot and Will was intended on Hannibal's part (maybe it's just the shock of seeing the two of them together, in full defiance of book canon, that makes me feel like this is a truly unexpected turn), but it is unlike Hannibal to be so careless as to book their appointments so close together, knowing what effect they could have on each other's "therapy" if they were to meet. Whatever the reason, I'm glad it happened. They both needed to meet the other, and maybe the perspective they've gained from talking to each other will help them to resist Hannibal's manipulations.

Will, especially, is able to see the pattern now that he has encountered more of Hannibal's patients, and knows that he is not alone in teetering on a precipice into darkness, with Hannibal all too ready to tip him over the edge. Now that he sees the way Hannibal operates, sees that he is one of many, maybe this will help to keep him centred while allowing Hannibal to weave his web around the outskirts of his mind.

I’m worried about Will’s mental state, of course. Seeing him control the stag, seeing them work in tandem to commit acts of violence, was extremely troubling. Still, as Will said, he is a good fisherman, and I have to believe that he will be able to focus and overcome this. Perhaps the very peculiarity that makes Will so attractive to Hannibal (his empathy disorder) will be what sets him apart from the other patients and allows him to out-maneuver the doctor. After all, Will is practiced at slipping into the emotional and psychological states of the most brutal killers, without actually becoming them. Maybe this will allow Will to immerse himself into the mind of the person Hannibal wants (or needs) him to be, to take on that identity completely the same way he does at a crime scene and present it to Hannibal to toy with, and still retain the sense of his true self at his core. I think the more perspective he gets on how Hannibal “treats” his patients, the more able he will be to do this. I can’t help remembering his comment to Hannibal near the end of season one, about how he knows his own crazy. Even spiralling out of control, he still had a solid enough grip on what was and wasn’t a product of his own mind to uncover the truth. But with Hannibal pushing him into situations where he is compelled or forced to kill, and to really live the illusion that he may be crafting… they are both playing with fire, and no one is walking away from this without major burns.

The shots of Randal in his workshop were completely lovely and chilling, and the scene of his attack on Will and Will’s cold and deadly response, was such a nail-biter, and yet the most thrilling and wrenching scenes of this entire edge-of-your-seat episode were the quietly loaded conversations between Hannibal and Will. So very, very delicious.

• Love 4

Man, all I could think when the dogs started barking was DO NOT HURT THE DOGGIES!!! When Buster took off, I was terrified that this fictional dog might get fake hurt.

Either he was trying to get revenge on Will or, as someone mentioned above, he wanted Will to kill someone else.

I can only imagine Hannibal cackling with glee when he realized that no matter who died as a result of that confrontation, he was still going to come out the winner.
  • Love 2

I wonder why Will told Hannibal about Bedelia. Maybe it's part of his plan, but I don't see how. Even if he's using her as a bait too, all the  FBI could do is to catch Hannibal  before killed her and it'd be difficult to prove that he went there to kill her.

Will's playing with fire. I think he's faking part of his vulnerability when he's talking with Hannibal. but he might go too far.

Loved the scene with Will and Margo. Fuller said he had made some changes on that character but it seems she's gay in the show too.

And the idea that Hannibal has been growing psychopaths for years is quite disturbing (and awesome). 

• Love 1

I wonder why Will told Hannibal about Bedelia. Maybe it's part of his plan, but I don't see how.

I don't care why he did it, it was an unbelievably shitty thing to do, even if we know Hannibal knows she knows, Will doesn't know he knows she knows. Dick move.

• Love 4

It would be funny to see Hannibal with a relatively normal patient.  Someone with an eating disorder or a sex addict.  Just for the joke of it.  Not that I think he would waste his time.  Growing killers though fits his curious nature.  What would happen if I did such and such....yeah that is Hannibal.  Just don't bore him.

• Love 1
It would be funny to see Hannibal with a relatively normal patient.  Someone with an eating disorder or a sex addict.

Well Crawford's wife (I forget her name) could technically be considered a patient.  She was dying and basically committed suicide right in front of him and he let her only to "save" her life the very next second just to keep Crawford loyal..  Honestly if he had a sex addict or a drug addict they would need to be interesting (or so far out of control that controlling them would make it worth it for Hannibal) and he would tell them to have the sex act and do that drug.  I haven't read the books and although I have seen the movies I am not really that versed in the stories so I don't really know all that much about Hannibal's actual Diagnosis except the obvious one but this version on Hannibal might actually be a hedonist.  Do whatever you like as long as you get pleasure out of it.  Hannibal gets the most pleasure out of manipulation.  

Edited by ChaosTheory
That was an incredibly emotional and intensely intimate episode. I loved Will's murder scenario nightmare realisation that he's Hannibal's beloved, the conscious deployment of the nightmare stag as a tool, and of course the 'therapy' sessions. Those close-ups were insane. It was a love scene, straight up.

I agree.  The only thing they didn't do in that scene was make out.  

I don't know but Hannibal looked kind of surprised at the end to see Will and a dead body on his dining room table.  Surprised and then pleased.  

• Love 1

It would be funny to see Hannibal with a relatively normal patient.  Someone with an eating disorder or a sex addict.  Just for the joke of it.  Not that I think he would waste his time.  Growing killers though fits his curious nature.  What would happen if I did such and such....yeah that is Hannibal.  Just don't bore him.

We saw him with his boring patient last season. It only got interesting when the boring patient ended up having a psychopathic friend.

At least Hannibal was only going to refer the guy on. He didn't want Budge to kill the guy, and only killed him himself because Tobias Budge forced his hand. Not that he *cared* but he does seem to take his professional responsibility seriously, even if his practice is *seriously* fucked.

I still think that Jack believes Will. The way he looked at the dish when Hannibal had his back to him screamed "I will be throwing this up later." He looked so disgusted. Granted maybe he just isn't a fan of breakfast for dinner. 

What I want to know is just how they plan on pretending that Will didn't do murder. Or how it's going to work when Jack inevitably finds out that Will killed Tier to make Hannibal believe his beautiful murderous butterfly had finally emerged from his cocoon. 

That dream was insane. It is exactly how Hannibal would talk, yes, but it's also telling that it's Will who is imagining him saying it. Also the whole hand clenched in the bed sheets thing made me laugh and laugh. 

I have decided that the only reason that Hannibal was in the scene with the dead trucker was for the hat. There were five hats in that scene, and only three of them were being pulled of by the people wearing them. I'll leave others to debate which people were not working their headgear *coughHannibalandZellercough* and which ones were. 

I think that for every normal patient Hannibal has, he probably has to have at least two crazies. To keep things fun and interesting. 

Margot is my new favorite. I love how no nonsense she is with everyone, and how little she seems to have to hide. I also love her interactions with Will, and hope we get more of them. I might have said this before, but Will needs some friends (that aren't his psychotic psychiatrist). I want every episode to have WIll and Margot drinking whiskey and comparing notes on therapy with Dr. Lecter. Pretty sure he's well aware that they've spoken more than two words to each other between Margot's "met your boy Will. What's his therapy like?" and WIll's "just how many of us are there?" moments, but I'm not sure that was the plan.

I do wonder where Fuller is planning on taking this. Not just this season, but the whole shebang, if (TPTB willing) we get as far as he says he wants to go. There are certain plotlines that I'm not positive will work anymore.

Edited by lilmissprefect
  • Love 1

I think Jack would do whatever is necessary to catch the Chesapeake Ripper.  At this point, he knows that either Hannibal is innocent in spite of everything Will has said, or that he has been eating long pork for a year.  To a supremely practical person, a few more meals will make little difference.  I am so glad I'm not in his shoes.

Will killing Randall looks like self defense, as an armed (or fanged) murderer broke into his house and attacked him.  If Jack can accept Will's attempt to kill Hannibal, he can accept this.

Hannibal didn't want to kill Franklin because the connection between the two of them was obvious, unlike his other victims.  It was clear that he had contempt for Franklin, though he did find him a little more interesting by his association with Franklin.  And Bella Crawford is an interesting person, worth studying, as well as being leverage against Jack.  If Hannibal's reputation is for skill in dealing with borderline patients, then those are likely who he attracts as clients.  He probably has his share of the well-off too, since Margot is here.  Perhaps some of the people he meets at the opera, or the symphony.  People who raise his profile.

I think it is interesting that Will mentioned Bedelia, because this episode made me think of her warning to Hannibal that they were starting to see his pattern.  I wonder how many other patients that she can point to, besides the one that attacked her, and Will.  Since she made such an effort to disappear, I think Will geuinely wanted to know if Hannibal had killed her, or if the FBI should go looking for her.

After all, Will is practiced at slipping into the emotional and psychological states of the most brutal killers, without actually becoming them. Maybe this will allow Will to immerse himself into the mind of the person Hannibal wants (or needs) him to be, to take on that identity completely the same way he does at a crime scene and present it to Hannibal to toy with, and still retain the sense of his true self at his core.

I hope so, and that this is his design.

• Love 1

I don't know what to think about Will killing Tier. I feel that even if Will and Jack do eventually catch Hannibal, Will has lost in some way. It may have been self-defence, but Will is in a much different place than when he killed Hobbs.

• Love 4

Yeah, I think Will will lose (and has lost) a bit of himself on this fishing trip--but I also think he knows that to some degree and is sacrificing himself in-order to catch Hannibal. I think some of his playing with Hannibal is him in control and some is him being drawn in by some of these darker impulses.

Isn't catching Hannibal supposed to be the case that pushes Will over the edge and prompts him to leave the FBI in the books?

Yes he does quit until Red Dragon.  I think Hannibal was a bit turned on her he saw Tier on his table.  Who knew Will had such mad seducing skills?  That empathy he has really can be very sexy.  But I like how he is sharp sometimes, pushes away a bit.  He must be playing Alana a bit now too.  I love damaged but non victim Will.  I love seeing Hannibal so engaged.  This is the most excitement he has had in years.  He kind of glows a bit.  I liked the book Hannibal because of the emotion.  I know it gutted Clarice but I love that Harris went there.  That he added romance into the mix of a traditional murder thriller.  And I love it on this show.  Both actors are just hitting the right tone.  Will' s desire to be known and not alone.  His anger at being betrayed by Hannibal.  It is all so emotionally true.  And Hannibal is going to be so hurt when Will abandons him.  It is all so personal.

• Love 1

Oh brave, brave Buster! I hope he will be okay.

I am afraid for Will. Hannibal is leading him to such dard places. I hope Will can keep a hold of his soul after this.

This is veering off so far from the books, I wonder if it is Will who will catch Hannibal.(as per the first episoded fight scene between Jack and Hannibal.)

It would be funny to see Hannibal with a relatively normal patient.

Poor Franklin didn't get the joke :)

Here's what I wrote about the ep over on TWoP:

Also, if I was an investigator in that area and another one of these cases popped up, I would quit on the spot. I'd be all, somebody needs to get the national guard down here because this is fucked up. What is wrong with our serial killers? They have too much time on their hands. I'm taking that job investigating cartels in Northern Mexico.

I honestly don't see why anybody, except Freddie Lounds, still lives here. Having this many serial killers and their sicko Esty projects around should empty the whole area out until Detroit looks like a bustling urban center in comparison.

Much as he valued Randall, Will is the grander acquisition for his personal collective of disturbed individuals.  And Randall has already realised his potential.

This right here. Hannibal is partly playing with Will out of his twisted love for him, his "higher nature", but he also knows he gets bored with his pets once they're totally manipulated. He keeps stretching Will's conscience on the rack to extend his pleasure in the relationship--even now that Will's killed, it was completely in self defense so Hannibal can keep enjoying it. But he's also got Mason and Margo up to bat as a new diversion, so he might push too hard for a climax with Will and hopefully show his belly long enough for Will to take a bite.

Man, all I could think when the dogs started barking was DO NOT HURT THE DOGGIES!!! When Buster took off, I was terrified that this fictional dog might get fake hurt.

I was wailing "NO! NO!" as my husband looked at me bemusedly. Of course I know they aren't really hurting the doggies any more then they have piles of real corpses lying around, but my poor little heart couldn't take it.

Now in the scheme of things is Will the bear or the wolf in the tale?

He wants to stay the wolf (and lead his pack) but Hannibal's trying to turn him into the bear. The unholy fusion of the two make up their relationship.

Did anybody else find Randal's ManBearPigWolf suit and act hilarious? Both the murders were total ripoffs of scenes in famous werewolf movies. As he pitilessly slaughtered his victims I expected him to bay "I am the Wolf! I am the night! My favorite movies are Silver Bullet and American Werewolf in London!!!!"

Say, speaking of victims--what the hell was the deal with the couple? They clearly had come from some formal party and are walking across a deserted field, miles from anywhere in the dark when Randall caught them. Also, why was the bonfire there??? Even if Randall lit it on the off chance it would lure a tipsy pair across a dank, silent  field at night, why didn't they find it odd or suspicious? With so many damn murderers in town you'd think the last thing you'd want to do at night around there was check out suspicious fires in an abandoned area!

• Love 5

I think Will has long term fascination for Hannibal because there is no limit to what he could do if he follows where Hannibal is leading.  I think Hannibal is trying to create a friend in Will, as I think he was trying to create a protege in Abigail.  He has exposed so much of himself here that there is no turning back.  He has agreed to honesty with Will, and I think that may be more than he has done with any of this other patients.  Abigail got the truth, but it was because she was about to lose her life.  I think the end game with Will is to get him to a point where they work on projects together.

• Love 2

Mister Glass they sort of do work together on the FBI cases.  But maybe Margot & Mason will be their joint project.  The things Hannibal did to him.  Shudder.  But an odd send  of justice.   I wonder if pedophilia is beyond the pale for Hannibal.  I wonder  if the show will ever mention Sasha?

Edited by jeansheridan

They work together on FBI cases occasionally, but I think that Hannibal is looking for someone to help him out with his more murderous pursuits. I think that Hannibal does want a murder bestie - he was cultivating both Will and Abigail to that end, but when it came down to a choice between them he chose Will - whether because he felt Will had more potential or simply because he felt more drawn to him than Abigail, it doesn't really matter.

I don't think that he'll cultivate the Vergers the same way. He'll poke at them to see what he can make them do, but I don't think he's interested in shaping them into his perfect friend. I could very well turn out to be wrong (it happens quite frequently), but I don't see the same interest that he gives Will  and once gave Abigail displayed towards Margot. I suppose we'll see how he reacts to Mason shortly...

• Love 1

Yeah, I don't think that Hannibal is as interested in any of his patients the way he's been interested in Will. I think he usually sets something in motion just to see what will happen, with Will he keeps interjecting himself into the narrative and guiding some of the events rather than sitting back to see the outcome. I'm not sure that he wants the perfect friend out of Will, but definitely doesn't want to loose his favorite pet.

• Love 1

Pretty sure Kevin was real.

DittyDotDot, I think I disagree. Now we have to see if I can articulate why.

I think that Hannibal's loneliness has been shown clearly, especially throughout the first season. I think that he has fixated on Will for the same reason that every other serial killer fixates on Will - his empathy. He feels that the dark places Will lets himself go could be a match for his own dark self, so he does his best to keep Will in those places - first very subtly and more recently, pretty blatantly. With others, he sets their instincts free to play and sits back, happily watching the destruction that he has had a hand in. With Will, he not only seems to want to see the darkness, but have it meet his own. To me that reads like a desire for friendship, not someone playing with a pet. Granted, a completely twisted, unhealthy friendship, but friendship nonetheless.

• Love 3

I think part of it is also, again because of Will's empathy, Will can see the beauty in Hannibal's work. Hannibal takes care with his displays, just like he does with his food presentations. With the food he can get praised but with his more...exotic works no one seems to appreciate it. Except for Will. Hannibal has to see that as very fulfilling.

• Love 1
I think that Hannibal's loneliness has been shown clearly, especially throughout the first season.

I agree.  And it was emphasized again at the beginning of this season, with Hannibal sitting across from his empty exam chair. 

I would never have come up with "murder bestie" but it goes well with "sicko Etsy projects".

• Love 2

Lilmissprefect I think you said that very well.  Hannibal is deeply lonely.  I wonder if he enjoys his time with Alana?  I think it is interesting he touches Will so often.  It might be an Alpha Dog thing or maybe Mads knows how sexy it is.  I would seriously prefer to see Mads cup Will' s head tenderly than see another GOT sex scene.  It is enticing to see someone as violent as Hannibal be tender.

Marvelous episode. I know some thought it was slow and plodding, but I think it is clearly setting the stage for the ultimate Hannibal reveal to Jack because I believe Jack believes Will, but he is watching Will closely do to his stated fears of Will falling into the abyss. Jack will be watching closely for any signs of instability on Will's part.

Quick question: Do we know for certain that the 12 weeks earlier tag we saw in the first episode of the season is real time (meaning show time) or viewer time? If it is show time, has each new episode been tagged as a week after what proceeded it. If there is no such viewer timeline connection, 12weeks could be season 3 for the show. I vaguely remember, perhaps in EW that it was viewer time, but this was from the same people who stated deviations from the books would be minor, which we see is not the case.

(edited)

I have been assuming show time which means Hannibal has been insanely busy.  But I am not that fussy.  It probably should have been six months earlier.  12 weeks is nothing.  

I complained that last season was just a bunch of psychiatrists talking to each other.  The world felt too closed off.  Margot has been a welcome addition.  I wouldn't mind a new technician on the team to replace Beverley.  A whole new type.  But that said seeing Will & Hannibal do this dance has been fun.  Will realizing Hannibal has a whole stable of effed up patients.  Just following his patient files will probably lead to more crimes and murders.  And there is season three.  The dismantling or attempt to destroy Hannibal's legacy.

Edited by jeansheridan