Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E10: Lily Sunder Has Some Regrets

catrox14
  • Start Topic

“Lily Sunder Has Some Regrets” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

ANGELS AMONG US – Lily Sunder (guest star Alicia Witt) steeps herself in black magic, honing her powers for over a century, waiting to exact revenge on a band of angels that murdered her family. Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) must work quickly to stop Castiel (Misha Collins) from becoming her next victim. Thomas J. Wright directed the episode written by Steve Yockey (#1210). Original airdate 2/2/2017.

They're actually going to continue with cosmic consequences.  I'm glad they won't drop that, and are actually going to follow through with it.  Also nice to see Dean calling out Castiel about it.

Yes, CW we get it, you're proud of Riverdale, but show some previews for next week.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Yes, CW we get it, you're proud of Riverdale, but show some previews for next week.

Didn't they show them at the beginning of the season? I didn't realize they weren't showing them anymore until I sat there and waited for nothing. In regards to this ep it was better than I was expecting though from what we've been shown I wonder if there are any nice angels besides Cas. I'm glad that they didn't gloss over the events of the last ep and that Dean and Cas's rift was due to them being protective of each other and not truly angry. That being said they could have been more subtle with all of the anvils regarding the danger of letting Nephilim live so we wouldn't forget about Lucifer's baby. Over and over and over they fell....

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ZennyKenny said:

OMg why do all the other angels keep blaming Cas for what happened to Heaven? Do they not know that Metatron tricked him, stole his grace and cast him out just like all the others? Srsly!

I rolled my eyes so hard I nearly gave myself a migraine when they brought that up again. I wish Balthazar was still around; he was the only one that had any loyalty to him.

• Love 3

Yes, considering how many dick angels there seem to be, it's amazing how Cas is the one with the bad reputation.  The episode wasn't bad, but there's just something about the show this season.  The episodes just seem flat to me.  I don't know whether it's the writing, the acting, or my too-high expectations.  Probably a combination of all three.  I just really wanted the show to go out with a bang and not a whimper, but I'm not so sure we're going to get that.

Edited by MysteryGuest
  • Love 1

I liked that they carried over the "cosmic consequences" but, now I'm worried Catrox's spec is correct. ?

This had the potential to be a really good story and I loved Hichem but, I think they had a bit of a casting fail With Alicia Witt, just didn't find her believable in the role. I had a hard time sympathizing with her even though her story was sympathetic.

I also liked that they used this plot to further the Nephilim storyline. I'm actually rather curious about this story, I think it has potential.

I also liked Dean's reaction to Castiel's action, it's totally in character. Plus I enjoyed Sam playing referee between the two friends. 

• Love 3

I'm tired of Cas being such a sad sack, so maybe whatever this "cosmic consequence" is going to be will be good for him.  He needs to get some of his fierceness back.  Or he needs some Prozac.  He just seems despondent all the time.  I don't like seeing him that way.

• Love 6

What was the deal with Sam and Dean telling Castiel that he had been there for them all along?  I don't think he was exactly there for them when he broke Sam's wall, or beat the crap out of Dean to get the tablet, or decided to go play God.  I really wasn't looking forward to this episode, but it was better than I expected.  I was really really happy they gave Cas a different meat suit for the flashback.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MysteryGuest said:

I'm tired of Cas being such a sad sack, so maybe whatever this "cosmic consequence" is going to be will be good for him.  He needs to get some of his fierceness back.  Or he needs some Prozac.  He just seems despondent all the time.  I don't like seeing him that way.

So true. Cas hasn't been a bad ass in ages; the closest he came was when he tricked Metatron in Do You Believe In Miracles but that was more clever than bad ass.

• Love 1

Really enjoyed the episode.  Ishim was such an ass.  And as he tried to insult the Winchesters, I kept thing, 'Buddy, you are CLUELESS.'   Despite being snitty earlier, Cas is family and they'll be no white space between he and the boys.  

I liked the dynamic.  It was the comfortable disagreement that family has.  I was pissed at ASEAN for being snotty but I think it's a sign of his comfort with Cas.   

Im looking forward to rewatching.  

• Love 7

I think I have only seen the episode with Cas and Metatron hunting the nephilim once or twice -  after it aired. So I might be mistaken about some things. Something seemed off about this episode in regards to that episode.  I think that I got the impression that Cas hadn't dealt with  a nephilim before then.  I would have to watch the episode again to find out what bothered me about this episode. 

(edited)

My initial thoughts on this episode

1f60d.png

But seriously. I loved everything TFW and especially between Dean and Cas. It was wonderful. 

I do have some questions on lore though.

Enochian magic drains human souls.  Erm...shouldn't that mean Dean and Sam's souls are compromised?

Why was Sam not blinded by Lily's light but Dean was when Dean has been able to look into Zachariah and Tessa's grace?

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 6

I echo those who thinks AW might have been miscast.  I just don't think the character carried the heft she should have but I did think the part was well written.   I did think Isham was a VERY good antagonist.   He had a similar vibe to Uriel from way back when.  The utter loathing of all/most things human.

I mainly liked this episode for the character interaction.  Dean and Castiel clashing is always entertaining to me when Castiel fights back.   He could never enter the same arena as Dean when it comes to snark but it's just always interesting to see Castiel stand up for himself since he can frequently be very passive in a majority of his relationships.  It's always interesting to me to reflect on just how far Castiel has come, considering he started out as somewhat of an antagonistic figure towards Dean and especially Sam.    Dean was not ok with seeing Isham or Lily beat up on Castiel.   I cracked up when Dean and Sam crammed themselves into the booth with Cas and after listening to Isham, Dean growling that he can go to hell and refusing to break eye-contact.   Well played scene.   And Castiel puts up with it because he still feels guilty about everything that's happened to the angels and his role in it.

The Winchesters don't take people to heart easily, very few ever make the cut.  It's impressive that Castiel has and I don't just get that vibe from Dean, it's clear that Castiel means a lot to Sam too.

Good Episode.

• Love 3

Jeffrey Dean Morgan, aka John, plays Negan on The Walking Dead which is set in and around Atlanta. In this episode, Mary is in Atlanta  hunting a shapeshifter. OH GODS PLEASE let us see Mary in Atlanta and the shapeshifter is John's doppelganger and we get a cameo by JDM down the road. 

If this was not an intentional nod to JDM, I'll eat my hat.

I really like angel-focused episodes, there's too few of them (both angels and angel-focused episodes) and I like to see more of those nasty twisted heavenly warriors, especially when we get to see their darker sides, like in this episode, so it was a win for me ! 

And Cas's speech to Lily at the end truly got to me, it was vibrant ! 

• Love 2

Sorry, but I found it totally absurd. A human studying angel magic for a century  is more powerful using that magic than eons old angels. Not damaged by staring at angel grace and can tune into angel radio. Can heal herself while actual angels need help. Grace no longer required for angelic powers. Someone should have told Cas and Megatron.  

• Love 2

I had a rather stupid thought around 3 am this morning.

They talked about keeping their hosts in this episode but also mentioned how the only way Lily Sunder could exact her revenge was because the Angels had been expelled from Heaven and lost their wings.

So what does that mean for these Angels? We're they on Earth in the same hosts (except Castiel) since killing Lily's daughter?  Did they take the hosts up to heaven with them and fell with them after Metatron's spell? How exactly did that whole thing work?  

Also aren't angel back in heaven now? They might not be able to fly but there is a portal. Why haven't these Angels gone home? Was that explained and I missed it?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Am I crazy or was that a thinly veiled rehash of Kill Bill? Cas paraphrased The Bride's words to Vernita Green's daughter and Alicia Witt even looked, and sort of acted, like Elle Driver. Was I supposed to not notice, or was it meant to be obvious?

Weird episode.

• Love 1

Weird episode indeed!

At least Cass is allowed to be in the same vicinity as the Winchesters for more than one episode. That's all I got on the positive end. I wish I liked it more, but I found it needlessly contrived and monologue-y for my taste. And, the melodrama with Dean giving Cass the silent treatment was so silly...and contrived, and, well, monologue-y too. Which is saying something considering it's supposed to be the SILENT treatment. ;)

9 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I do have some questions on lore though.

Enochian magic drains human souls.  Erm...shouldn't that mean Dean and Sam's souls are compromised?

Why was Sam not blinded by Lily's light but Dean was when Dean has been able to look into Zachariah and Tessa's grace?

Question 1: Sam and Dean don't use Enochian magic, even though it's used on them from time to time. I think you have to be the caster of the spell for it to compromise your soul. However, this episode got me to thinking about how angels were introduced as unfeeling and emotionless and we know they don't have souls. Is the show trying to set the stage for humans to become angels here?

Question 2: I think Sam closed his eyes, while Dean keep his open.

1 hour ago, Ria said:

Sorry, but I found it totally absurd. A human studying angel magic for a century  is more powerful using that magic than eons old angels. Not damaged by staring at angel grace and can tune into angel radio. Can heal herself while actual angels need help. Grace no longer required for angelic powers. Someone should have told Cas and Megatron.  

Yeah, needlessly contrived and overly-complicated. It seems they may have been trying toooo hard.

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

They talked about keeping their hosts in this episode but also mentioned how the only way Lily Sunder could exact her revenge was because the Angels had been expelled from Heaven and lost their wings.

So what does that mean for these Angels? We're they on Earth in the same hosts (except Castiel) since killing Lily's daughter?  Did they take the hosts up to heaven with them and fell with them after Metatron's spell? How exactly did that whole thing work?  

Also aren't angel back in heaven now? They might not be able to fly but there is a portal. Why haven't these Angels gone home? Was that explained and I missed it?

I think they kept their vessels and took them with them to Heaven. Which made it easier for the show not to have to hire more actors and explain who they were. But, yes, there is a portal to heaven now and I have no explanation why these angels didn't return home with the rest. Did I mention needlessly contrived and overly-complicated?

• Love 1

Was any angel an actual angel, other than Castiel? By which I mean, did they all just have basically human emotions, drives and aspirations after all? It was deeply ironic how Isham was another "ew, apes" guy when he himself was basically the petty villain from a bodice ripper. I get them wanting to tie in to the Nephilim story or rather keep that one on mind but it strained credulity. 

I thought the story itself was fine. A human learning super-angel-magic seems iffy but if you take into account that she powers it with her soul and apparently a soul is a power-source extra-ordinaire, I can see how she might trump an angel short-term. It would strain credulity too much if she could overpower them in general.      

Didn`t mind Alicia Witt`s portrayal. At first she seemed off to me but then I felt that the character wasn`t supposed to be the usual clichés you would come to expect but a bit different here and there. And then it worked much better for me.

The little quarrel between Dean and Cas, I get what they were going for but it seemed so manufactured just to reach some angst quota in the ep. That entire little subplot could have been dropped. They had some nice friendship moments as well of course, still could have done without the drama. Also by putting Sam in the mediator/understanding guy role everytime, it`s like he is always okay with everything ever these days beyond maybe mild exasperation.

The episode of course belonged to Cas and it was one of the better ones the character got in recent years. For Dean, there wasn`t really all that much to get invested in. Nothing overtly offensive but also not much I enjoyed. In fact, pretty much just the little moment with Hisham with the banishment sigil.

Edited by Aeryn13
49 minutes ago, AuntTora said:

If they lost their wings why were wings burned onto the ground when they died? I'm with MysteryGuest; I just haven't been feeling it this year, not sure why.

I don't think they lose their physical wings entirely, they're just in tatters, leaving them unable to teleport.

For me the biggest issue with this season is they peaked last season, dealing with God and God's sister. There is really nowhere else for the show to go now since it is pretty much impossible to raise the stakes any higher.

54 minutes ago, AuntTora said:

If they lost their wings why were wings burned onto the ground when they died? I'm with MysteryGuest; I just haven't been feeling it this year, not sure why.

3 minutes ago, KirkB said:

I don't think they lose their physical wings entirely, they're just in tatters, leaving them unable to teleport.

Yeah, we saw that in S9 when Ezikiel heals Sam, his wings are in tatters.  

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think they can stay in their vessels if the vessels permit it as was seen with Hannah.  She was okay being there until she realized that her vessel was longing to be with her husband. So she vacated and went back to Heaven and never intended to come back to Earth or take another  vessel until Sam and Cas stated their missing to get Metatron out of Heaven.

I think  it depends on the relationship and what the vessel wants and  IF the angel respects the vessel and does not lock its personality and wants away like Gadreel dud to Sam preventing expulsion. I guess that is the risk with angels because  they may use dirty deeds to stay in a vessel as long as  they can if they.

@DittyDotDot

Seems to me  the angel banishing sigils are Enochian magic. The boys make those all the time with their own blood. Wasn't the Werther box was protected by an Enochian spell created by Cuthbert Sinclair and Sam had to use an Enochian blood spell to open it?

Or are those not considered Enochian magic?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

@DittyDotDot

Seems to me  the angel banishing sigils are Enochian magic. The boys make those all the time with their own blood. Wasn't the Werther box was protected by an Enochian spell created by Cuthbert Sinclair and Sam had to use an Enochian blood spell to open it?

Or are those not considered Enochian magic?

Are the banishing sigils Enochian? I don't know that their origin has ever been established. I always assumed they were of a different origin because why would angels make a spell to banish themselves? I really don't know, but I assumed they were not Enochian in origin.

I don't recall the Wherther Box having anything to do with Enochian spells. Sam used a spell given to him by Rowena--I don't think it was Enochian, though--to try and disenchant the box, but it didn't work. He didn't use any spell to open the box, as I recall. Wasn't it just the legacy blood that opened the box?

Regardless, I don't think Sam and Dean have ever used Enochian magic that tapped into the power of their soul like Lily was. I think that's why it was carving away at her soul, she was literally using a bit of her soul to make the magic happen. In some ways a human soul and angel grace seem to be very similar in that they're both power sources. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I actually had the same thought, also at about 3 am.  (Inspirations sleet through the universe...and a cookie to anyone who recognizes where that comes from!)  

I was under the impression that the angels *only* came to earth to deal with what they thought was a Nephilim.   They should have gone right back to heaven after that.  So, my question is: why do angels need hosts in heaven?  Both Zach and Cas mentioned their "true form" (aside from being a multidimension being of whatever...)  I always assumed they only took vessels to interact with humans.  So...OK, the one who felt she and he vessel were soulmates, I could understand *maybe* wanting to be together in heaven, but why the others?  (Of course that would negate the whole bit of showing envesselled angels in heaven over the past 7 years, so we really don't want to go there...)  And yes, I've been wondering for a while if they re-established a door to heaven (how are the souls getting in again?) or does everyone still have to go through the sandbox?  That must cause quite a traffic jam.  

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

So, my question is: why do angels need hosts in heaven?

I always fanwanked that it was easier than to refind a host who would be willing to take them in or get their host to take them back in. Once Jimmy found out what it was like, for example, he wasn't going to let Castiel back in at first except for the threat to his daughter. So it's probably easier for the angel to keep their host if they are going to be going back to earth any time soon - or at all even - and especially if they are used to that host body. When the angels first fell at the end of season 8/beginning of season 9 they had a hard time finding hosts, so it would be believable to me that once they found one, they would want to keep ahold of it for convenience's sake.

I actually found it less believable that Gadreel's first host said "yes" again and let him back in so easily after Gadreel got kicked out of Sam. What was in it for him that he'd do that?

3 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I actually found it less believable that Gadreel's first host said "yes" again and let him back in so easily after Gadreel got kicked out of Sam. What was in it for him that he'd do that?

There are the exceptions though. The kid possessed by the demon wanted his demon back. Maybe they don't feel so alone. 

13 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I always fanwanked that it was easier than to refind a host who would be willing to take them in or get their host to take them back in. Once Jimmy found out what it was like, for example, he wasn't going to let Castiel back in at first except for the threat to his daughter. So it's probably easier for the angel to keep their host if they are going to be going back to earth any time soon - or at all even - and especially if they are used to that host body. When the angels first fell at the end of season 8/beginning of season 9 they had a hard time finding hosts, so it would be believable to me that once they found one, they would want to keep ahold of it for convenience's sake.

Well, if they weren't planning on going back to earth (which they weren't--at least not until the Apocalypse started) then there was no need for a host till then.  And since vessels are a bloodline, they could just go find a descendant of the host they had before.  So I can buy your wank for angels post-2009, but not before. 

There were a lot of people willing to be a host in season 9, but since they weren't the proper bloodline, they exploded.  Buddy Boyle/whichever bad angel it was (can't remember/don't care) didn't bother with due diligence to find out who could hold them--there were way too many angels wanting vessels all at the same time for the number of available vessels.  

Jimmy had a family he wanted to get back to, and his life with/as Cas was pretty difficult (he was stabbed by Dean, beaten by Uriel and Alistair, and threatened by everybody) for nearly a year.  We don't know much about Gadreel's vessel, but his life in the bunker was pretty easy.  JMO.  

ETA:  Also, a thought--does the "yes" stand until it's actually rescinded?  Therefore Gadreel didn't have to get a second yes to go back into his host?  It didn't look like Gadreel asked the second time, just blasted in.

Edited by ahrtee
(edited)

I didn't think it Lily was implying that Lily made a pact to trade her soul bit by bit, but that it's just a price humans pay for using Enochian magic/spells.

Regardless, I don't think Sam and Dean have ever used Enochian magic that tapped into the power of their soul like Lily was. I think that's why it was carving away at her soul, she was literally using a bit of her soul to make the magic happen. In some ways a human soul and angel grace seem to be very similar in that they're both power sources. 

Since Anna was the first one use to the angel banishing sigil before she remembered she was an angel, I always thought it was Enochian. How did she know about it? Also, it seems to me that if Enochian is used to hide angels and is to ward against them then the banishing sigil would be Enochian as well.

If the angel banishing sigil is not Enochian, the boys still have the Enochian sigils on their ribs to hide them from angels. So what would that mean? Dean recited an Enochian spell in Swan Song to open Lucifer's cage.  Sam recited Enochian spells as part of the trials in S8. That seems to be pretty powerful use of Enochian magic.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I didn't think it Lily was implying that Lily made a pact to trade her soul bit by bit, but that it's just a price humans pay for using Enochian magic/spells.

Since Anna was the first one use to the angel banishing sigil before she remembered she was an angel, I always thought it was Enochian. How did she know about it? Also, it seems to me that if Enochian is used to hide angels and is to ward against them then the banishing sigil would be Enochian as well.

If the angel banishing sigil is not Enochian, the boys still have the Enochian sigils on their ribs to hide them from angels. So what would that mean? Dean recited an Enochian spell in Swan Song to open Lucifer's cage.  Sam recited Enochian spells as part of the trials in S8.

My thought (or wank) is that the danger is in actually *creating* the spells (ie, using Enochian magic to make the spells) rather than just using ones already around.  It should take something more to create a spell than to use one, and a piece of your soul sounds like that kind of price.  

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

My thought (or wank) is that the danger is in actually *creating* the spells (ie, using Enochian magic to make the spells) rather than just using ones already around.  It should take something more to create a spell than to use one, and a piece of your soul sounds like that kind of price.  

From the episode.

I use their magic to fight, to hear them, to stay alive.

Enochian magic. That's...possible?

It is if you're willing to pay the price of admission. Every time I use one of their spells, a piece of my soul burns away. And once it's gone...

Read more at: http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=30847

She said she was using their spells, not making her own AFAIK, which is what set me to thinking about the boys and any human using Enochian spells.  This bugged me at first as a writing fail  but thinking more I think this COULD be really interesting set up for the boys to have reconsider their use of Enochian spells in the future if it means losing their souls.

It's not quite equal though. Sam and Dean using a bit of  Enochian magic now and again probably would not do the same kind of damage to their souls as Lily mainlining it for a hundred plus years to keep herself alive, heal, tap into angel radio and supercharge herself against smiting.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, KirkB said:

It's not quite equal though. Sam and Dean using a bit of  Enochian magic now and again probably would not do the same kind of damage to their souls as Lily mainlining it for a hundred plus years to keep herself alive, heal, tap into angel radio and supercharge herself against smiting.

The dialogue made no distinction as to using it a little bit or a lot. She said every time she used a spell, a piece of her soul was lost. So theoretically using it even once damages the human soul. The boys don't use it all the time but it implies that there should be some damage if not to the extent of Lily's.

I really do hope they address this going forward, because as much as this was a MoTW essentially, it has a lot of table setting too.

I may not have said that quite right. What I meant was, even if Sam and Dean ARE losing or damaging a bit of their souls every time they use Enochian magic they should have plenty to spare. They don't do it all the time. I didn't get the sense you do it once and you lose your soul, you just scar it. Lily has been doing a lot of it for over a hundred years, she probably doesn't have anything left.

Edited by KirkB
Spelling and grammar.

So it took me half an hour of staring at the eyepatch (and Lily's whole outfit, actually) for me to realize what this episode reminded of me: Kill Bill. It's totally Kill Bill but with angel blades instead of sumarai swords.