Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Snitches Get Stitches

Tara Ariano

The investigators and hunters are challenged by the ingenuity of several teams, including a pair that go off the grid and another duo who believe they've devised a secret way to communicate with their friends and family.

I don't know, I think kids should be off limit even there is permission.

OK, here is the Nuclear Dynamite team, Troy and Chele. They should stay in the shop until the ride arrives.

Edited by Lamb18

I see the burner phones but it seems to do no good.  I don't think it's fair that they talked to the one woman's daughter.  

Maybe the best idea would be to borrow somebody's phone that they don't know about.  Someone who normally keeps in touch with the family so as to not send up a red flag.

I love the man-child and Lee. I bet they go far and maybe win the whole thing.

• Love 1

Team Nuclear Dynamite don't need to worry about the local county sheriff. He's not playing.

I like man-child and Lee, too.

Actually I think the teams I've seen so far would be fine Amazing Race teams.

• Love 3

That's interesting about the emails. So they are giving the address and password to friends and family and they will create draft emails they can all read. And the US postal service works well!

There's a guy on the hunter team in the control center who looks like a young Tom Hanks.

Edited by Lamb18

We can talk about this in real time?  Okay.  It was weird that the two women went to that salon to clean it as payment to hide there for a while?  Also, the airsoft team praying for help to win this game?  I think God may have more important things to worry about.

• Love 4

I'm bummed that the women got caught.  The hunters used all that BS about using "close" friends yet they didn't know about Robin until the woman's big mouth daughter mentioned her!  They would have gotten away if it wasn't for that.  I hated that they put that camera facing the house.

Chele is already tired of being off the grid..that doesn't bode well.

I think they are going to capture one team each episode and tonight's 2 episodes.

Maybe we will meet another team during this episode?

Why are family members even talking to the hunters?  If I was Mrs. Wilson I would have just hung up when he said who he was.

I also can't believe they found out about the letters.  I had a sneaky feeling that was going to happen.

• Love 1

You could almost tell who's going to get caught each episode and I think Chele and her husband are going to be caught now.  I am still perplexed on how the hunters get so lucky with each move they make.  It's virtually impossible to be that lucky

• Love 1

I can't believe they were out their 18 days!  Only 10 more to go and they screwed up.

I think it's going to be David and Emily for the win for some reason.  

I was impressed that the middle eastern boys had phones that couldn't be tracked but they got busted by the stuff they deleted on their computers. 

Two more teams next week!

David and Emily are driving them crazy.

• Love 1

This is way, way too slanted toward success for the Hunters.  I don't like that they are allowed to question children, ask neighbors of friends of the Hunted to spy on the non-contestants and to put up cameras to spy on people who are only peripheral to the show.  It also bothered me that Louis Robles and his friend were going to enter Amanda's property even though no trespassing was posted.  Also, Griff who called Lee Wilson's wife, really pissed me off by telling her he was law enforcement and by calling her "sweetie".  FU, Griff.

This is not at all how it would work,  even in game show world, if you were really playing a game of Hide and Seek. 

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Why are family members even talking to the hunters?  If I was Mrs. Wilson I would have just hung up when he said who he was.

I also can't believe they found out about the letters.  I had a sneaky feeling that was going to happen.

If it's like the Take The Money and Run show, the participants had to agree to Talk, but we're free to lie.  They couldn't just sit there silently. This may be the same.

I had NO idea every piece of mail is photographed and can be searched by LE. Gonna remember that. Even with that though, it's a very good idea to use secret accounts and drafts - if they knew the contents of the letter was secret they still could.

the mistake with the burners people are making is that both sides need to be using them if it is someone they want to talk to multiple times.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Sayla Vee said:

This is way, way too slanted toward success for the Hunters.  I don't like that they are allowed to question children, ask neighbors of friends of the Hunted to spy on the non-contestants and to put up cameras to spy on people who are only peripheral to the show. 

That neighbor spy cam is where I Really want to know what the Hunters are telling civilians. I they said it was a game I would have had fun moving around the camera & calling them to tell them BS.

actually, if it was real LE I would simply "accidentally" obscure the camera and never call unless they could prove to me it was for some serious fugitive. 

Rankings
1. (1 LW) The Lady And The Gang Member - They snuck past the hunters into the boonies and then pulled off a damn good diversion tactic with the car. This guy is good, damn good. Also helps that their friends have keen eyes and gives them heads ups
2. (-) Camp Jesus - Going into the woods knowing the hunters will make a beeline there once they check out your store is either really smart (bring them somewhere where you probably have the upper hand) or really dumb. After close to two weeks it looks like it was a really really smart move until their dumbass friend came looking for them and the husband ran out and stopped him.
3. (2) Trucker HS Besties - Spent the week laying low and restricted access to friends and family, which was very smart. Then they head right into a trap that their daughter helped set for them. In the end they would've pegged Robin regardless and would've scouted them out.
4. (-) The Wolves - HOW DUMB WAS THAT NOTE?!?! The email thing was pretty smart, but the snail mail burned their entire network.
5. (-) Team #NotMyPresident - Uses an app to fake their location, but then uses wifi and google maps to see where they are and then all their texts were in the cloud. They are almost as bad as the DimWigs...
6. (3) DimWigs - It will take a lot for anyone to dethrone this pair!

• Love 3

Also what's the point in deleting your social media accounts when the hunters could easily still bring it up and see their friends and information?

It's way too slanted for the hunters.

I know they know about the mail but at least they don't know what's in the mail.

I liked FastLou's comment about the burner phones.  I knew there was a way to do it.

• Love 4

I agree that this is way too slanted to the hunters. They're saying things like "we can get the content of the phone calls with legal justification" and of course, they don't have that here. So the fugitives must have allowed them that. The rules should be clearly spelled out so that viewers know how much this is slanted toward the hunters. 

Monty mentioned in the first writeup that it's hard to know who we're rooting for. After these episodes, I'm firmly on the side of the fugitives. Partly because this means much more to them. And second: the hunters are TOTAL DICKS. They keep grousing about how David's "playing games" with them. Guess what? This IS a game. David's not a criminal. No matter how seriously the hunters are taking this, he's taking it even more seriously. Maybe it's too much to expect the hunters to give him kudos for a good trick, but they don't have to be so grim and act like they're saving the world from a terrorist. 

I also don't like how they frogmarched the women away after they caught them. THEY ARE NOT CRIMINALS. They're not trying to get away. 

Because several teams tried to wipe their computers, I wonder if they were required to leave them. It would be quicker to just take them and dump them elsewhere. If this is another rule in favor of the hunters, it bites. 

The hunters said, in connection with Troy and Chele, that they're close and "won't separate." I don't know if this means that separating is actually allowed, or if this was just another douchebag hunter comment. I agree that Chele was ready to be done, and that they were stupid to run. And Amanda, knowing that the hunters were on her property, was insanely stupid to run to where they were hidden. At least Troy and Chele had camo equipment, unlike Emiley with her "how much more can I help you spot me" bright blue backpack. 

I guess fugitives should get a burner phone for the person they expect to call, too. 

It doesn't seem fair to me that the hunters get to use almost all of the techniques they'd be able to use in real life (including the post office scan) while the fugitives aren't allowed to use any of the resources they'd be expected to have if they were really fugitives. Like more time, their own money, pre-set communication systems, burner phones for everyone, and of course the ability to go outside the limited range. Of course it's easy for the hunters when they can have teams all over the 4-state area. 

I heart Lee and Hilmar. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Skyfall said:

The sports team wasn't the password. What I gathered was they were resetting his password or something.

They were looking for the answer to a security question to reset the password. My company does online training, including data security, and we tell people to not use the correct answer for these questions. Like, for hometown, say "orange marmalade" or something like that. Of course, you have to be able to remember what you use for those answers. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Sayla Vee said:

This is way, way too slanted toward success for the Hunters.  I don't like that they are allowed to question children, ask neighbors of friends of the Hunted to spy on the non-contestants and to put up cameras to spy on people who are only peripheral to the show.  It also bothered me that Louis Robles and his friend were going to enter Amanda's property even though no trespassing was posted.  Also, Griff who called Lee Wilson's wife, really pissed me off by telling her he was law enforcement and by calling her "sweetie".  FU, Griff.

This is not at all how it would work,  even in game show world, if you were really playing a game of Hide and Seek. 

There's too many hunters with tons of resources against two hunted people, I didn't like that they could put up a fake wanted poster or lie to people about which side they were on.

I had no idea the Post Office took a picture of every piece of mail, I must have missed it, how did the hunters know to check that? How did they know letters were mailed?

Edited by GaT
because the sentence didn't make sense
  • Love 3

The post office takes an image of the outside of each piece of mail (I'd never heard of that, either. Makes me want to add "Hi, post office spying equipment!" on my letters from now on). Upon request, it apparently also does a search for certain names on those images. The hunters told the wife of one of the fugitives that the hunters knew about the letter. They didn't know the content, they just knew some of the recipients. 

• Love 4

I'm hoping at least one team makes it because the hunters are being humorless pricks about the whole thing. I hope the producers don't think we're rooting for the hunters. The sympathy is naturally for the people on the run.

I got to admit I let out a little whoop! at David fooling them with the car ruse. I'd say that they're making it too obvious that they're the winning team but the non-linear pacing means that David and Emily could be the most interesting storyline with near close calls and still get caught at Day 17 or something. 

Any expert out there who could educate us about the legality of all this? IIRC, there was a part that they were going through the friend's phone to get information on the Mom pair. How could they get away with that? 

This show could easily be considered a horror story of the surveillance state. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Also what's the point in deleting your social media accounts when the hunters could easily still bring it up and see their friends and information?

It's way too slanted for the hunters.

I know they know about the mail but at least they don't know what's in the mail.

I liked FastLou's comment about the burner phones.  I knew there was a way to do it.

It is designed to make the Hunters look good and be successful. I don't know maybe this is some weird showing the power of the Government somehow? Just the fact the producers have all the information is enough to make me doubt any authenticity here.

I'm done. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, GaT said:

I had no idea the Post Office took a picture of every piece of mail, I must have missed it, how did the hunters know to check that? How did they know letters were mailed?

Yes, I want to know that also.  It was very specific. I knew that the post office takes a picture of everything run through the automated cancelling & sorting machines.  Very few exceptions.  I don't know how searchable the system is or how long the info is retained.  The system cannot read what's inside.  As a postal worker (at a huge processing center), this part of the show was exciting! 

I do like that they say how they would've gotten a warrant for ___ so at least we kind of know how a real investigation would be.  I'd still like a complete list of rules & regs. 

When David & Emily had their calendar page out, I was hoping they'd start thinking about how the hunters knew where they were both times so quickly.  I'm really liking this show, even though I agree w/most of you that it's skewed to the hunters.   

Really like David & Emily, the Wolves (Lee and ?) and team Muslim. 

• Love 3

Huh.  I'm seeing this show a bit differently than others.  I see it as simulating a real manhunt.  So, this means the hunters SHOULD be able to use all the resources they normally would.  The only thing I don't like on behalf of the hunted is the way they have to get money (although, there are smarter ways to go about it as mentioned in the episode 1 thread) and that they have to stay within a specific area (albeit large, but still...).  That does make it much harder for the hunted to act like a real fugitive. 

1 hour ago, Tdoc72 said:

When David & Emily had their calendar page out, I was hoping they'd start thinking about how the hunters knew where they were both times so quickly.  I'm really liking this show, even though I agree w/most of you that it's skewed to the hunters.   

I had this same exact thought!

5 hours ago, loki567 said:

I got to admit I let out a little whoop! at David fooling them with the car ruse. I'd say that they're making it too obvious that they're the winning team but the non-linear pacing means that David and Emily could be the most interesting storyline with near close calls and still get caught at Day 17 or something.  

Me too!  I was literally saying out loud "You're so dumb!  Why would you do that?!?".  My daughter and I were delighted to see it was a decoy.

10 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I can't believe they were out their 18 days!  Only 10 more to go and they screwed up.

Yeah, the timeline on this show drives me crazy.  I had NO idea it was that late in the game for them. 

I agree the hunters are a bit too serious about this.  But, what I thought at first was a cheeky note by the "Wolves" did annoy me by the end because they are a bit too into their "Wolf" personas, referencing it all the time and being a bit cocky. 

I like finding out the tactics used to find real fugitives. 

• Love 1

I'm really enjoying this show so far, as it shows how law enforcement actually works when capturing real-life criminals on the run.  It's amazing how David Banner stayed safe from the law all that time on "The Incredible Hulk" back in the day (or "The A-Team", for that matter)!

I'm pulling for the police, but I'm enjoying some of the strategies the contestants are using.  The escape Room duo are my favorite contestants so far; they're having fun with this, and I think this is their fantasy come true!  I had no idea the post office photographed every piece of mail.  (Why can't they find my missing mail then?!?!?)

The Law has an advantage in this game because this is a RL simulation, and the Law has an incredible amount of tools at their disposal (thank goodness).  The contestants have a serious disadvantage in the money situation (only $500, in an ATM account), but they have some incredible advantages that they wouldn't have in RL, too (police can't serve search warrants, can't enter homes of friends-of-contestants without permission, friends willing to help contestants since its just "a game" vs. if the contestants were REALLY in trouble with the law).

For me, "Hunted" is like the first season of "Undercover Boss"; it's interesting, different, and fun.  Would additional seasons of "Hunted" be like later seasons of UB (repetitive, cloying, obviously fake)?  Maybe......

• Love 1

From the recap:

Lee's made a burner email account with the password "TheWolvesAtLarge28Days," and he's sent letters to various contacts so they can log in and post messages in Draft mode, which should be untraceable. This seems like an awful lot of work for someone who just needs to disappear for a few weeks, but it's clearly something he's had planned out for years, so he's going to use every gimmick he's ever heard of.

This trick comes from the very excellent movie, Traitor, with Don Cheadle. 

10 minutes ago, Gregg247 said:

For me, "Hunted" is like the first season of "Undercover Boss"; it's interesting, different, and fun.  Would additional seasons of "Hunted" be like later seasons of UB (repetitive, cloying, obviously fake)?  Maybe......

If you are interested in how people can be "disappeared," I recommend the Jane Whitefield series by Thomas Perry (beginning, I think, with Vanishing Act).  Most of the books are pre-2001, so some of the techniques wouldn't work now, but they are compelling reads.  I definitely would re-read the whole series and take copious notes before signing up for this show. 

• Love 1

If I were a friend/family of a hunter, I would say "no comment" and slam the door in the hunters' faces.  And I wouldn't answer my phone or engage a hunter asking me about them.  By the way. if I had a kid, there is no way in hell I would expose him/her to being interrogated, however softly.  That would scare the child and also perhaps make them think it was normal to be questioned by authority.

Note to hunters -- come up with other vehicles than black SUVs.  You're as obvious as the huntees with their backpacks.

If this was a REAL hunt, the runners would have no rules to follow and thus would steal phones and cars in order to get away.

How is it possible that the gang/lawyer dude's girlfriend leaves a calendar with their moves spelled out and still hasn't been caught?  And he still hasn't shaved that red beard!  I hope he gets caught on day 27 because it seems to me like he is enjoying it way to much and may slip back into his old ways.

10 hours ago, Mystery said:

The post office takes an image of the outside of each piece of mail (I'd never heard of that, either. Makes me want to add "Hi, post office spying equipment!" on my letters from now on). Upon request, it apparently also does a search for certain names on those images. The hunters told the wife of one of the fugitives that the hunters knew about the letter. They didn't know the content, they just knew some of the recipients. 

The Post Office has been doing this since the 2001 anthrax scares.  Here's an article on it.

9 hours ago, loki567 said:

Any expert out there who could educate us about the legality of all this? IIRC, there was a part that they were going through the friend's phone to get information on the Mom pair. How could they get away with that? 

I'm no expert, but - in the real world?  With a search warrant, if they could convince a judge they had probable cause.

RE your "surveillance state" comment - if you view current times as horrible, then you wouldn't be far wrong.  :)  So far I haven't seen the pursuers employ any tactics which aren't employed on a daily basis by thousands of law enforcement officials in America today.  More below.

4 hours ago, GenL said:

Huh.  I'm seeing this show a bit differently than others.  I see it as simulating a real manhunt.  So, this means the hunters SHOULD be able to use all the resources they normally would.  The only thing I don't like on behalf of the hunted is the way they have to get money (although, there are smarter ways to go about it as mentioned in the episode 1 thread) and that they have to stay within a specific area (albeit large, but still...).  That does make it much harder for the hunted to act like a real fugitive.

@GenL - I agreed with about everything in your post, but especially this. Of course there are certain limitations on both sides, but I think Production's primary intent is to come as close as they legally can to portraying an actual fugitive/pursuit scenario.  And in a real-life pursuit LEOs sometimes (frequently?) lie - and misrepresent - and bully - whatever in their view it takes to get the job done.  Is it "fair", or honest?  Probably not.  It is legal, however - usually - and considering the (alleged) criminals they're chasing aren't bound by inviolable rules of fairness or honesty, I expect the pursuers don't see why the conventions of polite society should apply one-way. 

We're viewing this show in the context of a game; the pursuit methods portrayed are quasi-mirrors of real life, however, and in real life those tactics are the same methods employed to track down terrorists, serial killers, etc.  So in THAT context, committed LEOs might have a little different perspective on what is or is not "fair".

2 hours ago, Archery said:

From the recap:

This trick comes from the very excellent movie, Traitor, with Don Cheadle. 

If you are interested in how people can be "disappeared," I recommend the Jane Whitefield series by Thomas Perry (beginning, I think, with Vanishing Act).  Most of the books are pre-2001, so some of the techniques wouldn't work now, but they are compelling reads.  I definitely would re-read the whole series and take copious notes before signing up for this show. 

This book might be worth a look as well.

1 hour ago, basiltherat said:

If I were a friend/family of a hunter, I would say "no comment" and slam the door in the hunters' faces.  And I wouldn't answer my phone or engage a hunter asking me about them.  By the way. if I had a kid, there is no way in hell I would expose him/her to being interrogated, however softly.  That would scare the child and also perhaps make them think it was normal to be questioned by authority.

Depends to a large degree on how old the kid is.  Technically a minor can be questioned by legal authorities, but not outside the presence of a parent or other person designated a guardian of the child's welfare/interest.  The law does not assume children clearly understand the law or their own best self-interests, and the potential for inadvertent self-incrimination is too great.  If the "kid" in question is 18 or older, however, they are no longer a minor - and the law can also get a little gray/fuzzy if (a) the child is a near-adult (16-17 or thereabouts), and (b) there's no concern about self-incrimination.

I was thinking that as far as the Wolves network being burned, I agree that to be on the safe side, they shouldn't stay with any of them. However, the Hunters were not able to read what was in the letters. They could still use the email account to get info. from their network and to send messages for activities that would throw the Hunters off track. I'm a little overly invested in make that strategy work because it's on my list of things to do if I'm ever being pursued. Not that I'll ever be pursued but, you know, anything could happen ;)

I would really benefit from understanding the rules. Are the runners required to keep moving? If not, they could have just holed up in the No Trespassing house for 10 days.

7 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I do like that they say how they would've gotten a warrant for ___ so at least we kind of know how a real investigation would be. 

The problem I have with that is if this was a real investigation, they would have to go before a judge & convince them that a warrant is, well, warranted. Just because law enforcement asks for one doesn't mean they get it, & if they do, it might be limited. This show is just assuming that they'll get a warrant & they'll be able to search wherever they want to which isn't how RL works. 

• Love 3

I think there must be some kind of rules about how long they can stay in one place.  The couple in the woods; that is what I thought a team should do.  If you're comfortable in the woods, 28 days is no big deal, and it would be extremely hard to catch them.  They clearly weren't using campgrounds or on established, well-used trails, so I'm not sure why they were apparently moving every day instead of camping in the same place for a few days.

Also, real LEO would probably have some kind of watch on the person's house.  On this show, it doesn't seem to be the case.  If you can do it, I don't see why someone doesn't sneak back to their house and hole up there until it's over.  That's probably against the rules (that we aren't privy to) but it would be hysterical if a team did that.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, loki567 said:

This show is a horror story about OUR surveillance state.

13 hours ago, GaT said:

There's too many hunters with tons of resources against two hunted people, I didn't like that they could put up a fake wanted poster or lie to people about which side they were on.

I didn't have a problem with this because these are real tactics used by Law Enforcement. Just like how they lots of people and resources. The "game" itself isn't fair, and I'm glad they're showing that. I just wonder what the average viewer will take away from seeing this. I don't want to come off like an anti-police crazy person, but to me this is scary because these resources can be turned against Anyone.

As for the comments about the lawyer, I'm not at all surprised the Hunters seem extra aggravated about him. Not only does he have a criminal past, but he's a defense attorney, and I've seen tons of documentary procedural type shows where law enforcement seems to liken those folks to terrorist sympathizers.

I hope this show can keep up with interesting cat and mouse scenarios for the rest of the run. I also don't expect many (if any) teams to make it the 28 days.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, FastLou said:

I didn't have a problem with this because these are real tactics used by Law Enforcement.

But the fugitives don't get to use real tactics used by fugitives. In particular, because they're limited to a geographic area, it's easy for the hunters to get a hit on a phone call or ATM transaction and have a team there immediately, because they know the fugitives can be in only a limited area. And of course, there's the one-hour time limit. That might apply to some criminals, but it doesn't apply to all. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Mystery said:

But the fugitives don't get to use real tactics used by fugitives. In particular, because they're limited to a geographic area, it's easy for the hunters to get a hit on a phone call or ATM transaction and have a team there immediately, because they know the fugitives can be in only a limited area. And of course, there's the one-hour time limit. That might apply to some criminals, but it doesn't apply to all. 

Welcome to Hollywood.  :) 

Total agreement on the not-so-reality aspect.  If I'm in Atlanta and have to bail, for example, then I am:

1. Hitting a bank and pulling out a LOT more than $500.
  2. Buying a Megabus ticket to Chicago in my name.
  3. Hitting the truck stops to find a long-haul trucker who'll take $50 for company on a ride to Albuquerque - or Denver - or Seattle - or Anchorage....  :)
  • Love 4

We were talking about The Amazing Race earlier, they're having casting calls now so I guess there'll be at least one more season: http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/The-Amazing-Race-to-hold-open-casting-call-in-10886997.php

Thinking about what I'd do is the most fun part of this show. Liquidate everything possible into cash. Change my appearance. Hide my ears, which apparently are almost as good as fingerprints for identifying people. Take the bus everywhere, like Jack Reacher. 

• Love 1

I like this yet agree it is seriously flawed and biased.  The hunters should be handicapped with something to make a somewhat more even playing field.  The black Escalades are in the fugitives favor, so there is that.  

There is a fair amount of planning time, given what we saw some accomplish.  The rules must state, you cannot pack your bag until the knock on the door.  ***eye roll***

What future fugitives have learned, assuming this sees another season. 

1. They will check your technology.  Assume they have abilities seen in futuristic Sci-fi movies. Think Charlie's Angels to stay under the radar.   

2. Set up a friends of friends network.  Remember #1. 

3. Don't scream when they knock on the door, we know you are prepared.  Viewers don't like that shit, it annoys them. 

4. Leave misleading clues in your apartment and be subtle.   Give your laptop to neighbor for safe keeping.  I don't think they need it physically but it might slow them down.  

5. No one you know should talk but better yet don't tell them anything!  Obviously!  What is wrong with you people?

6. Plan diversions to throw them off your track. 

I don't think there are restrictions on how long you can stay in one place.   Jesus Couple was planning on 28 days in the swamp.  Which also says they can take all $500 out at once.  

6.  Jesus is not a big help.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5