Type keyword(s) to search

Superior Donuts - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Too bad the people who would most benefit from this episode's message either wouldn't watch it, or wouldn't get it.

Based on sociological study results and anecdotal evidence an Asian American friend and former coworker shared with me, I think they failed a bit in the depiction of that ethnicity's stereotyping issues.

• Love 2

The group decide to take up a collection to pay for Franco's medical expenses when he's hurt at work and doesn't have insurance. Later, Tush experiences unusual side effects when he participates in an experimental drug trial.

On 3/13/2017 at 10:22 PM, shapeshifter said:

Too bad the people who would most benefit from this episode's message either wouldn't watch it, or wouldn't get it.

Based on sociological study results and anecdotal evidence an Asian American friend and former coworker shared with me, I think they failed a bit in the depiction of that ethnicity's stereotyping issues.

At least they had that phone app noise running gag to point out all the bias people in general have, not just the white people. Otherwise, this was largely not funny episode filled with so much backwards political correctness crap it hurts.

So... Arthur is racist for suspecting the ONE GUY in the entire meeting that showed an interest in that baseball? Yeah, that's rock solid logic there Franco, the worst part Arthur is even admitting that Marco being black was the reason he suspected him when there was absolutely nothing to indicate that beforehand. I hope Franco stops pulling the racism card out so much in the future, the racism/sexism card never been funny or meaningful in anything that has ever used it, it's just preachy and annoying especially since it's everywhere and whenever they do use it they do so by laser focusing on the absolute worst and rarest examples of it and then exaggerating to absolutely absurd extents. Everybody that needs to be preached to about stuff like that never has any intention of listening to begin with and everybody who doesn't is tired of hearing it and having otherwise fine plots being bogged down by shoving it in there.

Edited by immortalfrieza

This episode seemed more like an "after school special." It wasn't funny and was way too preachy! Plus, the blonde girl is just awful. I thought this show started off well, but now it's going downhill...fast.

• Love 1

Reminded me of a test that is supposed to tell your attitude toward people of various ethnicities, ages, etc. You look at many photos very quickly. I think it had something to do with Harvard. Does anyone know the name of the test?

1 hour ago, Driad said:

Reminded me of a test that is supposed to tell your attitude toward people of various ethnicities, ages, etc. You look at many photos very quickly. I think it had something to do with Harvard. Does anyone know the name of the test?

Was it Project Implicit? 

17 hours ago, juliet73 said:

This episode seemed more like an "after school special." It wasn't funny and was way too preachy! Plus, the blonde girl is just awful. 

Yeah, this is why I wasn't a big fan of this episode. I also don't like Maya.

They managed to make a comedy out of an ongoing tragedy. Oh, well. As Moz Jibroni's character said, making fun of stuff heals. I actually laughed at Judd Hirsh "overacting" as a feeble old guy — probably because I'm becoming a feeble old gal.

They used a less common example of the costs of continuing to criminalize medical marijuana at the federal level (not being able to file an insurance claim without passing a drug test that includes marijuana). This past year I discovered that I am allergic to the drug used to combat nausea caused by chemotherapy. I was offered a prescription for marijuana, but it would have cost me $150 and 2 months to apply for it, and then $500/month — none of it covered by health insurance because of the federal laws, and I had 12 rounds of chemo over 8 months. I drank a lot of peppermint tea instead.

Of course, IRL, there's no way that collection would have covered having an x-ray and a cast at a hospital. Maybe at a clinic.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

, there's no way that collection would have covered having an x-ray and a cast at a hospital. Maybe at a clinic.

It probably wouldn't have covered the ambulance!

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It probably wouldn't have covered the ambulance!

Right! IRL they would've needed 2 wheelbarrows to get them to the "free" clinic. 

If this show gets cancelled, maybe they can do a new one about people making wisecracks about costs of living as seen on TV.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Interesting that the person without insurance had a better idea of the cost (he said a couple of thousand) and his friends thought $800 would be enough.

I was terrified he'd never get it set, it would heal a mess, and he'd be unable to walk on it for the rest of his damn life.

• Love 2

I only catch this show when I remember it's on but I really enjoyed this episode. I just found the whole thing hilarious. Although the guy with the broken foot was driving me nuts with his stubbornness. I liked seeing all his contraptions to get around.

I haven't  watched every episode yet but I'm glad to hear this. I like the cast, the premise is promising, and certainly CBS can use a show that actually features diversity in its storylines.

On March 23, 2017 at 11:18 AM, biakbiak said:

Yay! May this be another sign that the world has not entirely lost its moral compass.

BTW, I noticed in the article that "the annoying blonde girl" is played by Anna Baryshnikov, daughter of Mikhail Baryshnikov, and that she was in the Oscar-nommed Manchester by the Sea.

Arthur encourages Franco to pursue his art but is caught off guard when Franco paints a mural on the side of the donut shop, sparking controversy in the neighborhood. Meanwhile, Fawz decides to run for president of the Uptown Business Council.

I never saw the pilot, so it was nice to see how the show began. I've only watched a handful of episodes but I do like what I've seen. It's just too bad this show doesn't get more buzz, both online and on this site.

• Love 2
(edited)

Another episode wrapped up with heart tonight. 

I'm okay if this show only gets one season; a reasonably priced DVD will be released, and, who knows? It might become a cult classic.

If nothing else, the actors, writers, and others who create this show should have nothing but pride in their work.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
On Monday, May 01, 2017 at 9:34 PM, shapeshifter said:

m okay if this show only gets one season; a reasonably priced DVD will be released, and, who knows? It might become a cult classic.

It's already been picked up for a second season.

• Love 4

I didn't like the pilot much but I gave it a second chance and I love Fawz. This show plays a little heavy handed with the race card. I get it, there's a Jew, Arab and Black Guy, they don't need to tell me about it so often, once is enough. 

• Love 1

wornontv.net hasn't discovered Maya's wardrobe yet; I loved the striped/color-block sweater she wore.

So is Nadine getting back together with her baby's father, or will the Superior Donuts gang get to be god parents, and the Cubs cap gets used?

2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Was this the season finale or are there more epsiodes? I quite enjoyed tonight. Loved Franco eating all the pies, lol.

It was the season finale; hope it gets a second season!

• Love 1

This is a cute little show and good for them for getting renewed. For someone who doesn't watch sitcoms, I certainly have ended up this past season watching a few more than I have in a long time. I guess having Judd Hirsch (who looks pretty good for being 82) in it peaked my interest, Mr. Angelkitty likes comedies, and also, well, donuts.

It made me chuckle enough not to remove it from my series recording list but if Franco ends up taking care of that baby, I'll just have to stop watching.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, possibilities said:
On 5/12/2017 at 0:57 PM, AngelKitty said:

Judd Hirsch (who looks pretty good for being 82)

Whoa! He's 82?? Wow. I never would have guessed that.

"Taxi" was (wait for it) 40 years ago, and he was no kid then!

• Love 3
On 5/4/2017 at 5:47 AM, wayne67 said:

I didn't like the pilot much but I gave it a second chance and I love Fawz. This show plays a little heavy handed with the race card. I get it, there's a Jew, Arab and Black Guy, they don't need to tell me about it so often, once is enough. 

Fawz is Iranian, so he's not an Arab.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Fawz is Iranian, so he's not an Arab.

And yet I could almost imagine Fawz saying: Iranian, Arab. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.
I'm used to hearing Maz Jobrani with his accentless, California-reared English on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, but he also seems to enjoy flaunting his excellent Indian accent for comedic effect (which I believe he said he picked up from his wife's family). I think he said he would be okay with being classified as an Equal Opportunity Offending Comedian.
But, yes, both the actor and the character are Iranian-American.

• Love 4
(edited)

Franco painted a mural on an exterior wall that I thought belonged to the donut shop -- where was that wall?  The front of the donut shop doesn't have a big enough wall, and it is not on a corner. Was it the back of the shop? But isn't the back on an alley?

Edited by Driad
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Superior Donuts received an Emmy nomination:

OUTSTANDING CINEMATOGRAPHY FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES

I'm not sure to what they are referring here, but at least it was on the radar.

• Love 1

i can't believe this was renewed and much better shows have not been. it's not funny.  i thought i could keep watching but it is so boring. basically all the scenes are in the donut shop, i can't get invested in the characters. it's always like an after school special. i had to delete it from my dvr. 

Season 2, Episode 1:

"What the Truck?"

The second season opens as Arthur's business is threatened by an ambitious young entrepreneur who parks her food truck in front of the donut shop; Franco grows frustrated trying to following his dream of going to college.

Airs October 30, 2017.

• Love 3
On 10/23/2017 at 1:11 PM, msrachelj said:

can't believe this crap was renewed and they cancelled my beloved " real o'neals". kevin can wait is bad also. should have just remade 'king of queens" 

You do know CBS has no control over what ABC does and vice versa? Also Real O’Neals went fractional and was one of the 2 worst rated comedies on ABC alongside Dr Ken.

• Love 2