Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Who Lives And Who Dies

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Dawson finds it hard to keep her emotions in check during an ambo run involving a pregnant teen. Elsewhere, the firehouse is called to the site of a building fire and Casey is forced to make a split-second decision when two victims are each in need of life-saving assistance. In the aftermath, Casey is left to deal with the repercussions. Meanwhile, Severide shares a bond with Anna, as she makes her recovery.

I love Christopher.

When the sister yelled at Gabby, I knew that couldn't stand and someone would be profusely apologizing to her or thanking her by the end.  She won't be, but Sylvia has the right to be a little miffed about the baby's name. 

• Love 4

So was Casey imagining the gun-toting squatter, or is he going to have a stalker?

Gabby doesn't actually bother me as much as she does others (er ... a lot of others), but it was unrealistic for her to be invited into Darla's home twice. Couldn't she just have apologized to the father for judging him, done her little bit for parent-child rapprochement, and then: boom, out?

I'm still not used to Charlotte Sullivan expressing that much warmth and humour: Anna's no Frosty, that's for sure!

• Love 1
Spoiler

Sylvia has the right to be a little miffed about the baby's name.

So if I were Sylvie's therapist I would tell her that her job is to intervene in a person's life for a very brief period of time and, if at all possible, not leave a physical scar or emotional footprint. If your client names her baby after her, you have left an emotional footprint. A healthier Gabby would have tried to convince the young mother to name her child after one of her own family members.

Hey, Severide, are you listening? You tried to leave an emotional footprint on your marrow recipient. Looks like she had enough sense to dodge that one.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 5

St Gabby to the rescue! Geez, go away, Gabby. Way to make the father's shock and heartbreak all about you. I was thinking how incredibly hard it would be to have raised your teenager alone, and then to realize you have another couple of decades to do the same with the grandchild, but thanks to Gabby who had a foster child for about two months who went to live with the family he belongs to, so she knows all, now it's peachy keen. And yeah a little diss to Sylvie, the invisible emt. 

Nice ending with Anna leaving her photo for Kelly.  Smart girl. 

• Love 4

I think there's a difference between intentionally scarring someone emotionally and not observing appropriate boundaries. If the standard of behaviour for first responders is not to leave an impact at all, then everyone would fail, by definition. It would have been more professional for Gabby to suggest that she's not close enough to the family to warrant being the source of the little girl's name.

I think conflating intentional infliction of emotional scars with unprofessional behaviour oversimplifies situations that are complicated and risks minimizing the seriousness of cases of genuine abuse.

milner, no; no, you were not. I had a passing thought about a "uh-oh, replacement baby" for Gabby. I am SO GLAD the show didn't go (quite) that far. (And scrubbing the station house down obsessively at least has the value of not leaving a lot of time for intramural sports (destructive, immature), party planning (costly, embarrassing) or fanfic writing (appalling, contrary to conflict of interest rules, embarrassing).)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

Was I the only one that thought "oh no, now they are going to have Gabby trying to 'get' this newborn!"   Luckily that didn't happen.  Also, are fire fighters required to clean the station?  What happens if they are out on calls a lot?  I can see keeping the kitchen clean, but cleaning the bathrooms seems over the top.  Maybe Voight and the team should be cleaning the police station during down time.

• Love 3

Was I the only one that thought "oh no, now they are going to have Gabby trying to 'get' this newborn!"

Nope - I thought the exact same thing. 

I'm glad someone put Gabby in her place for mouthing off to the dad even if she did end up playing the wise sage at the end anyway. And while I'm grateful this story didn't end with Gabby and Matt adopting the baby, I wondered why the idea of adoption never came up for the girl who didn't even know she was pregnant. Not saying I wanted Gabby to adopt the baby - just saying someone should have pointed out that since the girl wasn't expecting a baby, and it seemed like a baby was the last thing on earth the girl's father wanted, maybe someone should have suggested putting it up for adoption?

And while Matt was being an a-hole about cleaning the station, if they have rats getting into their cupboards? Yeah - it probably needed it. Gah.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

if they have rats getting into their cupboards?

One was filmed with a slice of pizza behind the station.  Made the internet.

Firefighters are required to clean the station.  Usually, with a large population like that, each group (truck/engine/squad) should be assigned a daily duty, and each watch does it too,  so that problems don't build up.  However, since the engine crew is never seen on camera, maybe they get a pass.  Speaking of the engine crew, why is it that they never seem to get inside the building and put the damn fire out?  I would think they would be there right behind the squad.

As soon as I saw Chekov's handtools being used, I knew something was going to require their return later on.  Because torque is always more effective than hydraulic pressure.  However, wouldn't it have been faster to go in through the broken window and unlock the door from the inside?

Either there's a wide ranging conspiracy against Casey concerning the alleged basement dweller, or, yeah, he's losing his mind.  Maybe that injury from S1 is finally coming back.  It would be easy enough to check the basement for signs of occupation.  Maybe even ask the woman and child that they pulled out of there.

• Love 2

It would actually be kind of awesome if they re-visited Casey's brain trauma from back in Season 2 (?) and revealed that everything that's happened ever since has been his imagination. Then they could bring back Shay, Peter Mills, etc.

So the other guy on Squard is named "Tony," apparently. He even got to speak 2 words this episode, as did Capp. I wonder if those actors are paid by the line.

However, since the engine crew is never seen on camera,

Engine crew? There's a truck crew and a squad crew. Is there supposed to be another crew? What would they do? In my city there is only one crew and they operate both the truck and the pumper. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

Either there's a wide ranging conspiracy against Casey concerning the alleged basement dweller, or, yeah, he's losing his mind. 

Spoiler

The previews for next week show that the guy is real, and is bent on revenge against 51 in general and Casey in particular... unless that turns out to be a hallucination, too. That would be hilarious.

Personally I was expecting the guy to appear at episode's end and shoot Casey, so (snide) kudos to the show for drawing it out for an episode. When Boden said something to the effect of Casey shouldn't be worried since there was no sign of a body in the burned out building, I was yelling at the TV that he should be worried about the guy coming back. Does Boden not pay attention at all??

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Sandman said:

I'm still not used to Charlotte Sullivan expressing that much warmth and humour: Anna's no Frosty, that's for sure!

By all accounts, Charlotte Sullivan is very friendly and bubbly in real life. But I also remember her from Rookie Blue and it took me a while to recognize her because her demeanor was so different. It's one thing to have a naturally warm personality in real life. It's another to be able to act it in a role. 

• Love 3

I actually didn't have much of a problem with Gabby snapping at the father in the hospital room. Whatever shock he was feeling ( and trust me, I have teenagers-I get it), this girl had just been through a traumatic physical experience, and was recovering from that. No medical patient in their hospital bed needs someone in their face yelling at them, for any reason. Gabby was right to get him to just stand down in that moment. There would be time to deal with his feelings later.

• Love 3

Well there's a right way and a wrong way and naturally Gabby took the wrong way by barking at him not to talk that way to his daughter as though she is the ultimate authority in how people should address their children. It wouldn't have bothered me if she'd simply tried to diffuse the situation by asking the father to step outside and spoke to him quietly about what his daughter had just been through. Admonishing him in front of his kid without knowing one damn thing about their circumstances was way out of line. Of course, she gets a "pass" because she just lost Louie. Whatever.

• Love 7

Gabby should have asked a nurse or other hospital person to step in if the father yelling at the daughter bothered her that much. It wasn't her place to speak up and the confrontational aspect of it was pretty bad.

I liked the actress who played the teenaged mom--Show does a good job of finding talent for the one-episode characters, although I cannot find the name of the actress online.

• Love 1

So Sylvie delivers the baby, and a difficult breech at that, and Gabby gets the namesake, the hugs and the kudos.  She also fixes everything between dad and daughter.  Once again, Gabby the Wonder Mom makes everything ok.  I cannot stand this character and I didn't much care for snarly Casey either.  

• Love 7

Well gag me with a backhoe. Of course the baby was named after wonder woman. How much further are they going to take this non-stop, vomit-inducing shitshow?

Matt needs to apologize profoundly to his crew, none of this 'order barbeque on me' nonsense. That was disgraceful.

And if there was a headless torso identifiable as female, would Kelly try to screw it?

• Love 7
On 1/25/2017 at 4:33 PM, Xantar said:

But I also remember her from Rookie Blue and it took me a while to recognize her because her demeanor was so different.

Oh my GOD - I'm a dope. I kept thinking 'hey, she looks familiar, I should see what else I've seen her in...' and then never did, and then even on reading this, I was all 'huh, who was she on that..? Maybe something to do with dopey Duncan...?'

but not so much - admittedly I didn't pay much attention to her scenes because oh-dear-god-no, not another Kelly inappropriate romance storyline, but the thought of Peck never crossed my mind. Hey, she's a good actress! And what a difference hair makes...

Did I hear right that the fire investigators said there was a hatch in the basement that lead to the outside?  I didn't get how the guy was pinned down and couldn't move,  except to grab his gun, but a minute later, he's gone.  Why didn't the crew see the hatch when they went back? 

I think the baby looked more like a Sylvie... 

I'm glad the cancer girl left. 

On 1/25/2017 at 4:30 PM, Dowel Jones said:

One was filmed with a slice of pizza behind the station.  Made the internet.

Firefighters are required to clean the station.  Usually, with a large population like that, each group (truck/engine/squad) should be assigned a daily duty, and each watch does it too,  so that problems don't build up.  However, since the engine crew is never seen on camera, maybe they get a pass.  Speaking of the engine crew, why is it that they never seem to get inside the building and put the damn fire out?  I would think they would be there right behind the squad.

As soon as I saw Chekov's handtools being used, I knew something was going to require their return later on.  Because torque is always more effective than hydraulic pressure.  However, wouldn't it have been faster to go in through the broken window and unlock the door from the inside?

Either there's a wide ranging conspiracy against Casey concerning the alleged basement dweller, or, yeah, he's losing his mind.  Maybe that injury from S1 is finally coming back.  It would be easy enough to check the basement for signs of occupation.  Maybe even ask the woman and child that they pulled out of there.

That would make too much sense. Remember, this is the same show that rolls up on a 10 story multiple dwelling, fully involved, with one engine, one ladder and one squad company and single-handedly knocks down the fire in 10 minutes. And whose engine crew apparently has constant difficulty putting the wet stuff on the red stuff (and has to be told by the chief every single time). And why isn't Truck up on every damned roof venting, first and foremost? Because: Fire physics. First- and second-due engines going in with hand lines and doing the primaries? (OK, I'll stop now).

Loved the Chekov's Handtools line. Heh. And if that rabbit is leaking hydraulic fluid shouldn't that have shown up in drilling, and wouldn't they have another one on a different apparatus? But it was a pretty cool move.

So damned sick of St. Gabby, and even sicker of the whole bayyyybeeeeeeeee storyline. Ye flippin' ghods; enough.

Maybe if Truck had opened up the damned roof like they should have, Engine had brought down a couple of charged handlines into the basement with Squad (and Boden struck a third or fourth alarm) they could have easily gotten the Nutjob out.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Maybe if Truck had opened up the damned roof like they should have, Engine had brought down a couple of charged handlines into the basement with Squad (and Boden struck a third or fourth alarm) they could have easily gotten the Nutjob out.

But then how could 51 and Casey be in peril in the next or future episodes???

• Love 1