Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: Abstract Aliens

7 hours ago, ShowsILoveToHate said:

Yay!  I'm really looking forward to this!!!!!  :D   Have they said who the returning artists are?? TIA

Yup, it's one thread over in "Season 11 Cast announced"!  It's a pretty decent selection (IMO).  

Between this show returning and season 2 of "The Magicians" as well as season 2 of "The Expanse", somehow SyFy became appointment television for me again!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Canada said:

The title of the thread is "S11.E01: Abstract Aliens 2017.01.24", so I'm guessing January 24th.

Yes. Duh. Not very bright today. I haven't watched faceoff in a while the preview looks cool. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes. Duh. Not very bright today. I haven't watched faceoff in a while the preview looks cool. 

Don't worry, I'm having one of those weeks where my brain hasn't engaged at all! 

• Love 1

I'm glad they waited a year between seasons.  Doing 2 seasons a year they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel talent-wise. Pretty soon the contestant would only have to have been just-thinking-about-maybe-going to makeup school, and someone who graduated last week would have been light years ahead of them.  The fact that this season is going to be all-returnees (are they really All-Stars if they never won?) speaks to that as well.

• Love 5

Phoo. Had to put the Gherkin to bed and read stories and now I'm so behind!  I hope the recap is good cause I am only up on about four teams.......I had forgotten how much I missed this show, what a fast year it has been!  And isn't it funny, I don't find previous seasons and/or contestants so annoying now....thank you TV gods!

• Love 2

Well, I'm either hammered or happy, but I liked what I got to see...dare I say I have hope for this season?  I was so glad to see and gradually recognize everyone I just wanted to hug them all.  And I was pretty impressed with what was put forth, is it teams all season?  I guess there is more talent than I remembered.  Who knew?

• Love 3

I have always loved that the contestants on this show help each other (and that there are no talking heads where they are encouraged to insult each other), and this episode demonstrated that once again.

Ve looked rather pretty.

I think the Cig and George show will be fun to watch.

I liked most of the creatures, but that crab was awful.

• Love 6

Really happy to see Face Off back, and man this was a strong start. The pairs competition will make things interesting I think, along with the alternating immunity/elimination pair. 

Going forward, I really hope we see more Green Screen challenges. It literally opened up another dimension in character design. It did mean that this was as much fabrication as makeup, but man, most of those results were fantastic. 

On top of that, it's such a refreshing show in general. The contestants avoid most/all the drama, while helping each other when needed. And the scene with the models running in was great; I think they were as anxious to come back as the contestants were. 

The Top 2 were fine; I'd have had that Aristocratic one as my Top 3 no problem. As PTV mentions above, that Aristocratic guy oozed his character, not just as a member of its species. All in all, for the Immunity winner, I was fine with either of the Top 2 (or any of the Top3). I might've given an edge to the Skeleton Shrimp, but it's a very slight edge.

Bottom two were obvious; hell the bottom was obvious. Totem legs were a major screwup that should have been toned back long before last looks. They're in a deep pit that will be tough to dig out of next week. The other bottom looks was more in the middle of the pack. Some obvious flaws that could be an elimination, but still close to the mid-pack; closer than Totem legs at least.

• Love 5

Welcome back FaceOff!

Some of contestants weren't all that familiar to me. Maybe I missed a season, or some just never made an impression on me. Nice to see helpful Mr. Westmore back. I do hope he enjoys his mentor role. Glenn still looked like Glenn and Ve looked lovely and Neville was his charming self. McKenzie's hair has grown/gotten extensions.

The crab was funny - reminded me of a leggy piñata.

Both the top two looks were excellent in their own way. The skeleton was impressive but the paint job was better on the winner.

I too enjoyed the teamwork and help that the stuck mold folks received from the fellow contestants.

• Love 7

Yay, Face Off is back! And it was gone long enough for me to miss it!

I remember pretty much all the contestants, from George and his shorty-shorts to Niko and his hair, Keaghlan's blue eyebrows and Gage's earplugs. Though it'll still probably take me awhile to recall all of their names, ironically. Looking forward to seeing what some of my returning faves are capable of this time around.

Finally they incorporate the green screen! It really opened up a new realm, so to speak, and finally allowed them to create some truly alien-looking aliens. I really loved the top two looks, though I probably would've given the win to Rachel and Gage. Painting on the green for a hollow-looking bone structure was a touch of brilliance IMO. (Side note: Gage looks and sounds so much more grown up than he did way back in season one! Though I suppose we all do, don't we?)

It was also nice to see the models again! Megan and Nayeli (sp?) were great as always, and Matt still has pretty pretty eyes. And while I'm being shallow, I'm so happy to once again have the opportunity to make fun of Glenn's hair. What can I say, it's one of my favorite things about watching Face Off ;)

Hopefully next week they'll have more airtime to devote to the lab days - I always enjoy watching how they work, and I was sorry we didn't get to see very much of in this ep.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 3

Of all the allstar versions of assorted reality shows I've watched, the intro to this one stands out as the best by far.  By pulling up some of the contestants' best looks,  it brought back ....oh, she did that one, and I didn't like his color pallet his first time.  

And then it got going.  And all of a sudden it was half an hour in, and it was so enjoyable that it was over too fast. (That doesn't happen often for me in the TV shows I watch nowadays.)

The two top teams made outfits that were wonderful, in every way.  So what do I know?  Not much, but it was so much fun to watch.  

• Love 4

I wonder why McKenzie was only on at the beginning & the end? Doesn’t she usually go round with her dad? And why was she wearing a green dress & red stockings, was it Christmas?

I really like the alternate weeks immunity/elimination as teams twist, it’s a good change, & it's nice to see that contestants still help each other out.

Using the green screen also made a nice change, my favorite was the shrimp, at least it wasn’t on the bottom.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, GaT said:

And why was she wearing a green dress & red stockings, was it Christmas?

When did you see this?  She was wearing a teal dress with sheer hose at the judging.  Didn't notice the shoes but I'm pretty sure they weren't red. And I was going to comment that it seemed a pretty color and a "normal" dress (her dresses do seem to have a theme each season) until I checked out the front hem and noticed that she was really close to - as Heidi Klum would say - showing the good china.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Quilt Fairy said:

When did you see this?  She was wearing a teal dress with sheer hose at the judging.  Didn't notice the shoes but I'm pretty sure they weren't red. And I was going to comment that it seemed a pretty color and a "normal" dress (her dresses do seem to have a theme each season) until I checked out the front hem and noticed that she was really close to - as Heidi Klum would say - showing the good china.

During the judging, the stockings looked red on my TV. I noticed that she was wearing the same green dress for the promo, but she had sheer stockings on & I wondered why. They never looked red to you?

And we're off to a great start with a new challenge...green screen!  Hoping for more previously unseen challenges this season.  Having watched every season of Faceoff, it's embarrassing how few of the contestants I recognized.  Anyway, it made me happy to agree 100% with tonight's judging of top and bottom looks, and the ultimate winner; it often doesn't go that way.  I'm not entirely sure how the every other week elimination works.  Do the bottom looks from this episode start with a clean slate next week, as though this week never happened?  How does that work going forward, or was this a one-time thing to start the show? 

46 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

43 minutes ago, GaT said:

During the judging, the stockings looked red on my TV. I noticed that she was wearing the same green dress for the promo, but she had sheer stockings on & I wondered why. They never looked red to you?

I didn't really notice her legs at all while I was watching so I just rewound to the judging portion at the end.  When she's sitting in the chair near the judge's table speaking to them her stockings definitely look sheer/her skin tone, but when they brought the top and bottom looks back and she was standing, the backs of her legs looked reddish/tannish, and then I saw them lighten up; looks to me that there were colored lights from behind the judges table area that made the stockings look darker from some angles. 

• Love 2

Glad to have my Face Off back. However, if you're going to do an All-Stars season, what was the point of making us wait a whole year? They could have done All-Stars in the Fall, and done newbies now. Obviously, I'm of the opinion any Face Off is better than no Face Off despite how unskilled some of the contestants might be. On top of that, I have so many recordings on Tuesday night, that I had to catch the second airing. And unfortunately, a bit of the beginning was chopped off, and it feels like bits are missing based on the episode review.

Anyway, I only remember about a third of the contestants. Unfortunately, everyone trying so hard to make it seem like their teams was the most natural and logical thing in the world was a bit tiresome. It only applied to about half of them. The Cig Neutron and George shtick is going to get old quickly, though I do like the Neutron name. I did think it was nice of George to model his belly for the other team.

Too bad Ben and Evan's crab creation sucked so bad, as I really like Evan. Ben just bores me like a skinny mustached Ben Stein. I think sixth graders could have produced a better crab creature for a Little Mermaid play. I didn't even like the nacho libre head. I also agree with the judges for the rest of the top and bottom looks.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SnarkyTart said:

I'm not entirely sure how the every other week elimination works.  Do the bottom looks from this episode start with a clean slate next week, as though this week never happened?  How does that work going forward, or was this a one-time thing to start the show? 

It sounds like it's going to be that way through the whole season, since every elimination will be both the team members.  I'm sure we'll get more details next week when they have to do that first team elimination.  I doubt the slate is wiped clean; if either of this week's bottom 2 are in the bottom again, they're obviously goners. How much better they have to be next week is the question. Just being "safe" may not do the trick.

I think the tweaks to the formula help a lot.  I really, REALLY like the idea of elimination being based on a gestalt of two Spotlight challenges (or a Focus challenge, if we're still doing those).  It reminds me of the Great British Bake Off, and that's a good model to emulate.

McKenzie and Ve both looked fantastic.

I thought Gage and Rachael should have won.  Keaghlan and Melissa's was very good, but A) I think Megan's utter commitment to acting the hell out of it elevated it above what the actual work brought to the table, and B) it was the same as a lot of Melissa' work to me:  too busy.

George and Cig are going to get really old, really quickly.

Did Ben and Evan say they were the only team of finalists, or did they specify that they were the only pair of finalists from the same season?  Because Tyler and Emily were both finalists, and both should have won their respective seasons.

• Love 5

Trout Mask Replica--I see what you did there. So happy this show is back! I love the requirement of the green screen because it encourages the facetestants to think in terms of negative space, which is an excellent skills test for the first episode.

I am not a huge fan of team challenge, but I guess I can live with it since the same people will be paired up all season. And if there was ever a show where there can be teams without drama, it's Face Off. Since they chose their partners, that should also cut down on the usual team drama too.

I was excited about the green screen challenge because that really allows the contestants to create different (read: non-human) silhouettes and shapes.

The super skinny arms on Emily and Tyler's dragon fish were really cool. The head was a little too Groot for my taste, but the tiny teeth were a nice touch.

Ben and Evan's spider crab looked hokey to me. I think part of the problem was the way that they created/attached the big claws in the front made the movement very stiff. The color seemed a little too blocky and solid to me. Heh, why were they dressed as twin mimes/Steve Jobs for judging?

I couldn't decide if Keaghlan and Melissa aka Team Blue made really great use of the green screen or if they used too much green on their flying gurnard. It was cool to see it floating, but it also reminded me that they didn't do anything from the waist down (to be fair, sometimes the contestants just throw a loincloth on their models and call it a day, so this wasn't any worse).The paint on the head was really good and their model was totally working it. I really liked how the purple paint on the head matched the glowing purple.

Cig and Geoge's roughback batfish looked like a fat guy with skinny legs in a colonial costume at first glance.  didn't like the short little stick arms, but the paint on the cowl behind the head was good and the face/head was different. I was cracking up over their matching paisley jackets.

Jasmine and Stella's helmet jellyfish wasn't fluid enough for me. The tentacles were just stuck on, like the sticks you would shove into a snowman to represent arms. From a distance, it looked like someone in a white trash bag.

Gage and Rachel's skeleton shrimp was really cool looking. Although in theory putting bones on top of the green unitard was a simple idea, it was a really effective use of the green screen. The claws looked translucent which was really great too.

Logan and Adam's octopus didn't look like an octopus at all to me. I had the same issue here as I did with Keaghlan and Melissa's half creature but even moreso. It looked like a half robot with weird arms and a brainy head inexplicably floating.

Niko and Cat's vampire squid was still a little too human in the chest/torso area for me, but I thought that the swimming floating effect was much better here than Logan and Adam's octopus.

I would have given the win to Gage and Rachel because they made the best use of the green screen in a green screen challenge.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, starri said:

Did Ben and Evan say they were the only team of finalists, or did they specify that they were the only pair of finalists from the same season?  Because Tyler and Emily were both finalists, and both should have won their respective seasons.

Yes, they did, and I was surprised they left that in after editing.  I counted at least two more teams from the same seasons.  Ben & Evan probably just didn't know that, and the editing monkeys didn't have enough other talking heads from them to use. 

Yay, my very favorite show is back!  I too like the new format, and to my surprise, actually like the team setup this go-around.  I didn't recognize everyone, but did recognize more than I thought I would. What I didn't recognize, was most of the contestants' past work that they showed.  And I've seen every show since season 3!  Guess my memory is mush.  I love this show so much though, and appreciate that they don't pit the contestants against each other  in a snarky manner. I agree with the poster above who said it's like the Great British Baking show, for both the reason stated and the fact that this doesn't encourage people to be jerks. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Richness said:

On top of that, I have so many recordings on Tuesday night,

ITA.  Whoever thought that Tuesday night would be a favorite TV night of the week for 2017?  All of a sudden I'm glad that our olde Directv box died in October and we upgraded to 'can record five at one time'.  I doubted we needed it, but three at one time has happened.

May I join the subset of  Face Off fans who share an addiction to Great/Best British Baking Show?  You should taste my Koeig Annans, (abysmally misspelled, so bad that google won't correct it.)  Tieing the two together, how about a Face Off challenge inspired by obscure European pastries?

• Love 5

to me, the top two were so good they made most of the others look worse than they were. The top two were end of show good and the bottom were start of show acceptable. Seems like there will be quite the gap in skills. but I don't really care, I just love watching them make their creatures. So glad to have Face off back. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, enoughcats said:

ITA.  Whoever thought that Tuesday night would be a favorite TV night of the week for 2017?  All of a sudden I'm glad that our olde Directv box died in October and we upgraded to 'can record five at one time'.  I doubted we needed it, but three at one time has happened.

This.  Right now I have a full schedule on Tuesday nights.  Mr. Pickles makes fun of me.  I have the rerun of America's Next Top Model at 8, Face Off at 9, and Forged in Fire at 10.  Lord help me if Ink Master shows back up while these are still running current seasons! 

• Love 1

Hey, I watch Forged in Fire too!  A friend got me into it last season.  Like that one too for its lack of snarkiness and interesting subject matter.

I wish that Face Off would have one beauty makeup challenge and one old age makeup per season.  (Although I love the monsters, etc.!) I truly enjoyed the long-ago challenge where the artists had to do their own old age makeup and see if they could fool their family members in a store. 

• Love 4

Too much to react to other than I liked it a lot. I usually hate team challenges but it seemed to work this time. I liked the challengers they brought back, the judges are back and of the models Meghan! of course and my boo Matt, who greeted George and Sig warmly...and then they gave him what looked like a vagina face at first but then it morphed into the aristocrat face.

• Love 1

While George and Cig may get tiresome, I just loved the second day when they walked in and were all "good thing we wore our short shorts today!"  That cracked me up.

I'm excited for all the changes to the format.  It's nice to shake things up, but the changes aren't so crazy that it doesn't feel like Face Off anymore.

• Love 3

I think it really speaks to the quality of these contestants and how well behaved they are with each other that I immediately recognized all the returning All Stars.  I might not have remembered their names or which season they appeared in, but I knew who they all were.  That's pretty amazing considering there are some shows I watch -- Hell's Kitchen, MasterChef, etc. -- where I can't even remember them from one week to the next!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Hey, I watch Forged in Fire too!  A friend got me into it last season.

My son in law was watching it last year or the year before when he visited and I totally got into it.  I have a history degree, so it speaks to me.  It is fascinating to see all the weapons across the ages and know there are some bad ass skilled people out there who still rock that profession.  And it is informative.  I wish that it had a forum here, Ink Master as well, but I'll take what I can get......most of the rest of my shows are on PTV.

File this under things I can't unsee.......did anyone else just stare agog at the models' tattoo on the top of the page?????? I just noticed that. 

I have to agree with the green screen thing being pretty awesome.  I wasn't sure how it would work out, but it was pretty damn cool.  I'm super optimistic about this season but I'm not sure how this elimination/teams thing is going to work out.  We shall see.

A bit above someone was commenting on McKenzie's outfit looking different colors, I don't know if you've watched Project Runway, but there have been times where a bunch of us see one color for an outfit, and a bunch of others see something else.  There was a whole "is it pink/mauve/brown/etc" discussion in one of the epis this past season.  I think it has something to do with the color settings on your tv, on my very old it has adjustments for warm/cool and contrast and the like.  That might account for some of it. 

• Love 1

Guess what @sourpickles?! I just looked at there is indeed now a Forged in Fire Forum!!  I'm zipping over there now. Please join me! 

Is it just me, or does Glen more closely resemble a werewolf each season?  I love him, but I have to ask. 

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

Guess what @sourpickles?! I just looked at there is indeed now a Forged in Fire Forum!!  I'm zipping over there now. Please join me! 

Is it just me, or does Glen more closely resemble a werewolf each season?  I love him, but I have to ask. 

Beans!  I'm going to see if I can find it being totally computer awful.  I take my cues from people on the boards and fumble around till I hit on what I'm supposed to be doing!

I guess he does, I think it's the hair.  But I love him too.  Actually, I love all the judges.  They can say stuff and be harsh, but 99 times out of 100, it's not in an assy way.  I hate when "judges/experts" say stuff just to get a sound bite.  I don't think they will have too much to witch about this season though, I am so optimistic it is just sad. 

Jeez, waited a year for this show to come back and all I feel is annoyed and disappointed.  I hate team challenges, so an entire season of this is going to be hard to get through.  The new format of getting immunity one week and an elimination the next is also going to annoy the shit out of me.  Add in the fact that they've brought back people who irritated the shit out of me when they were on previously or who were just not talented to me... well, I may need to skip this season and come back next year!!  So annoying.

ETA: I think the most irritating part of this new concept is that a bad team that deserves to be sent home gets to stay because it happens to be an immunity week.  The following week, a really good team who happens to have an off day may end up going home while the shitty team stays for another week or two.  I hate that.  I hate the whole concept.

Edited by Canada
43 minutes ago, Canada said:

ETA: I think the most irritating part of this new concept is that a bad team that deserves to be sent home gets to stay because it happens to be an immunity week.  The following week, a really good team who happens to have an off day may end up going home while the shitty team stays for another week or two.  I hate that.  I hate the whole concept.

That's not what MacKenzie described. She specifically said that the judges will use the results from both weeks to determine who goes home. You could say that Ben and Evan are a really good team who had a off day this week.

1 hour ago, sourpickles said:

@Cowgirl, I can't find it, what do I do?  Yes, yes, off topic here.

Home->Shows->F-> Forged in Fire . Then when you get there click on the banner that brings up "Follow this forum" and that will add it to your Manage Followed Content page: http://forums.previously.tv/forum/1966-forged-in-fire/

And Ink Master has a forum as well: http://forums.previously.tv/forum/470-ink-master/

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I dunno about the werewolf. I have nothing but respect for the judges and the 'family' - including Lois. Awesome that folks of their caliber want to be part of a show that mentors young and fresh talent.  Thoughtful critiques and praise when it is due. And that they give back to their industry.

• Love 3

About Glen: I was so interested in the things they had done and how the green screen affected them, that I hardly noticed Glen.  A brief impression that his hair on top was bigger is all I remember.  Other seasons, his self expression seemed to stand out more.  

Mr. Ecats suggested that there should be a second green screen challenge a couple of episodes in, to see what they've learned, now that they had time to think about this one.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

I have nothing but respect for the judges and the 'family' - including Lois. Awesome that folks of their caliber want to be part of a show that mentors young and fresh talent.  Thoughtful critiques and praise when it is due. And that they give back to their industry.

They seem like a very cool bunch of people, and I love how supportive they are not only with the current crop, but with past contestants as well. Ve hired Conor (season 1 winner) and I think a few other alum to work on several of the Hunger Games movies - I recapped one of the special effects featurettes from the third movie in the judges' thread awhile back. She seems just as cool and fun there as she does here on Face Off.

As for Glenn, he's really grown on me over the years - despite his grumpy guy persona on FO, he seems to actually be pretty cool and not take himself too seriously. He officially won me over during the ep where they judges had to compete, when he mentioned being a cat lover. Cat lover solidarity, Glenn! And he's poked fun at himself now and then over the years, such as joking about how the hair on someone's Emo Faun makeup is *supposed* to look fake and glued on, like his own. That all being said, I will never stop making fun of his hair, because there have been many mediocre episodes where his hair was the most interesting and unique thing on that stage.

It'll be interesting to see how the pair setup works out this year. Glad this show is back!

• Love 4

Just for the record, I love Glenn, including his appearance.  I too love those who can  engage in self-effacing humor.  I'm with @Maelstrom, sometimes Glenn's hair is the most interesting artistic thing on the stage during judging. Love all these judges and how they mentor, hire and support past contestants. 

@Sourpickles, so glad @Quilt Fairy knew how to get you those links!  Enjoy!

• Love 2