Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: FFwSB

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I liked the John Dean interview, but I don't think the audience knew Dick Cavett or what he was about.

Probably not, but I did and it was funny. The biggest point I took from Dean is that Trump has no idea how the government works, but look out if he figures out. 

• Love 3

I didn't realize people didn't know who Dick Caveat is anymore. Now I have to realize how old I am. Also, I thought he was dead. I was so sure of it that at first I thought he was only appearing in archive footage or via some kind of CGI.

• Love 3
On 6/2/2017 at 5:10 AM, biakbiak said:

For some reason I thought Dick Caveat was dead,

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I didn't realize people didn't know who Dick Caveat is anymore.

Poor Dick Cavett. A legendary broadcaster forgotten by many of today's viewers and apparently by autocorrect...

• Love 14

Okay, I feel like I'm missing something. I know who Dick Cavett is, and that he's still alive, but based on the initial comments, was he known to do something scandalous?

But yeah, Sam should have had two separate shows to interview Dean and Franken. But Franken's been making the rounds-The View Spew, Late Show with Trevor Noah, etc. I expect him to show up on Bill Maher's show next. Don't get me wrong! I LOVE Franken, and he showed a lot more shade at Cruz when he was on The Spew, than here. Though I did love the list of names they both called him.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Okay, I feel like I'm missing something. I know who Dick Cavett is, and that he's still alive, but based on the initial comments, was he known to do something scandalous?

No, not that I recall. I'm not sure what post gave you that idea.

Heartbreaking about the drug arrests and plea bargains, and the difference in what happens depending on whether you are black or white.

What I don't get is how we have this entire system, made up of cops, lawyers, judges, etc., and NO ONE says, "This is crazy!  What are we doing!"

Is it even legal for the police to search your car even if they just pulled you over for not signaling?  Are the police getting bonuses for these made-up crimes? I could see them doing it for money, but just for the power trip?  That is some sick stuff.

• Love 1

Is it even legal for the police to search your car even if they just pulled you over for not signaling?  Are the police getting bonuses for these made-up crimes? I could see them doing it for money, but just for the power trip?  That is some sick stuff.

Here's your answer:

John Oliver's deep dive into civil forfeiture

Spoiler alert: Yes, yes they can search your car even if they just pulled you over for not signaling.  And take your perfectly legal stuff, including your money.  And keep it forever.

• Love 4

There used to be widespread police corruption in some big PDs, like in the '70s and '80s.

More overt racism too.

So they have to find some way to make up for lost wages.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Heartbreaking about the drug arrests and plea bargains, and the difference in what happens depending on whether you are black or white.

That story just about broke my heart.

• Love 2
On 2017-6-9 at 1:56 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

The rich vs poor part was interesting too. I mean the first guy said he basically had the best lawyer available, and made a deal on bail and still had to turn over $4,000 to the bail bonds company. I have a pretty decent job and savings, and even so it would be hard to lose 4 grand to pay bail on a bullshit charge. If my life was only slightly different it would be a huge hit to do that. For someone much less fortunate than me I can easily see how 4 thousand might as well be 4 million,  when it comes to getting out of jail or being stuck there until trial. And 4000 was the best possible deal that the guy with the best lawyer got, surely most people don't get that offer.

• Love 4

I didn't even notice that.

How infuriating about the child marriage laws. I had no idea. Sam's comment that they're just a way to get around statutory rape was interesting, but it appears the real reason there's difficulty in changing the law to 18 or over is abortion. As that one clip showed, some anti-choice groups think that allowing parents to make their pregnant little girls get married will prevent abortions. 

I loved the Spinning Beachball of Death over Sessions' face. And Kamala Harris is awesome.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And Kamala Harris is awesome.

She is!!!!? And if I could just go a wee bit off-topic, I met her yesterday! I was just getting ready to leave the Starbucks when the entire place erupted into cheers and applause. I turned around to see who proposed to whom because that's what it sounded like! And I came face to face with Senator Harris! She shook my hand, asked me my name and, and, I was SO STAR STRUCK! I told her she was doing a great job and angry on her behalf for how she's being treated. Strong firm handshake and VERY personable. And just so you all won't think I'm not some rabid stalker fan, the first law firm I used to work at, I had went to The Hill on a regular basis to attend hearings at the Senate Committee On Indian Affairs, Interior, and regularly attended hearings before House members as well, and got to meet a lot of them. It saddens me because I met McCain, when he actually was someone to admire. So the fact that I was totally fangurrling over Senator Harris was something new.

Oh, the CEO of Starbucks had come with her. I learned that bit this morning.

I howled at Sam calling that toad Miller "you goateed ? emoji!" ??????

And McCain's got no business interrupting after his own performance of a doddering senile old fool last week.?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
Explanation for my seeing stars!
  • Love 16

Kamala Harris's questioning of Sessions really reminded me of Pembleton in the Box*. But with ladyparts. So, so, satisfying. And I also love how she didn't even acknowledge McCain when he interrupted her. She was all patience and grit.

Was the marriageable age for boys discussed in the piece? I may have rage-stroked and missed it...

*from Homicide, Life on the Street. Played by Andre Braugher.

• Love 8
(edited)

Man, that piece on children being forced to marry was heartbreaking and just reminded me how many of these atrocities still happen in India and Pakistan. It was a good thing I didn't have any vases or anything that could destroy my television, because my rage at all these MEN pontificating and saying why this is a good thing just disgusted me. ????

What's next? female circumsicion mutilation? ??And then have it all "'splained" how it's to "protect" the "girls" and what's "best" for them? Assholes. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.OF.THEM.

I did smirk at the Rikers piece where Sam tells the Warden? Not to "go there" when he started to say that Hannity was "a smart man." It's a good thing Mothership Law & Order is no longer on the air: where would they send the perps?????

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
On 6/9/2017 at 10:56 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

While I'm sure race plays a part, I think the difference is more whether you have money or not. I live in a mostly white area of Idaho and it's common knowledge that your sentence depends on your ability to post bail and pay a lawyer. I know two men who were both charged with the same drug crime, the one who was able to post bail and hire a lawyer had the charges dismissed. The other one spent 4 months in jail waiting for a court date and finally pled guilty to a felony so he could get out with time served and a fine. 

• Love 4

some anti-choice groups think that allowing parents to make their pregnant little girls get married will prevent abortions. 

This is so depressing I just don't know what to say, except sometimes I feel like I'm witnessing the destruction of civilization itself. 

• Love 9

I fully enjoyed the black and white portion of last night's program. "Architect is not a transitive verb." Preach it!

I do take exception to something Sam said in covering the Child Victim Act, which wasn't voted on in NY this year (again).  She said that 'every day Catholics' would support the legislation, and... I just don't think that's so. Maybe intellectually, but my experience with parishoners of child-raping priests really never bore that out. 'The abusers are sick and need help and are forgiven by god and therefore shouldn't be hounded and god forbid, the parishes shouldn't have to pay these people! What, do you want us to take money from the poor box, too?' They have (in my experience) get all victim-blamey and protective of their own priests, who, let's remember, are God's intermediary on Earth, and who in their hands hold the fate of your immortal soul. Granted, I'm speaking from some years back, and maybe feelings on this kind of thing have shifted. I sure hope so.

• Love 2

The next time piece of shit Bill Donohoe shoots his pie hole off insulting people and who they are, someone needs to ask this holier than thou colposcopy bag why he's defending pedophile priests. Is it because he's a pedophile himself? Is it because he fanaticizes having sex with little boys, the fucking scum? Why the fuck would anyone have a problem with this bill?

Interesting B&W portion last night. Reminds me of the kind of stuff Samantha did on TDS. It was also angering/depressing to watch because we're at a point where lying on camera has no consequence.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Why the fuck would anyone have a problem with this bill?

Because it will move money from the powerful to the less powerful. Ergo, it must be crushed.

• Love 3

For anyone who has seen "The Keepers," the issue of extending the statute of limitations on bringing charges for child sexual abuse was covered pretty well there, and is not limited to the state of New York. Seems to be a problem nationwide, but probably concentrated in the northeastern states where the Catholic church stands the most to lose. It's really awful - you just can't help having contempt for anyone trying to suppress such a change. Hopefully, Sam's piece will motivate voters in NY to call their state reps.

The wordplay piece was clever but depressing as hell.

• Love 4

I liked the stylized piece with the words. It's amazing how the Trump can't actually hold a singular thought or express himself in a remotely coherent manner. 

I don't know if it's being obtuse or deliberately misleading, but the "fake news was Trump couldn't win" or "polls were wrong" is just not correct. If a team is listed as a 14 point underdog and wins, it doesn't mean the point spread was wrong. Upsets happen. That's how probabilistic modeling works. You're predicting a likely scenario over tons of simulations. 

• Love 1
(edited)

OMG - the whole piece on "trickle-down healthcare" was spot-on brilliant. It's not the repeal of Obamacare they're after, it's actually the repeal of Medicaid - so it's actually Johnsoncare they want to repeal. Can Medicare be far behind? I find it so ironic that Medicaid covers 64 percent of nursing home residents. And yet, when Obamacare was first being debated, all the Republicans were screaming about "death panels" and the government pulling the plug on Grandma. Which is exactly what they are planning to do right now. The irony - why can't Democrats latch onto it?

I also loved the bit about Republicans conflating illegal aliens with actual, extra-terrestrial aliens. "Who here hasn't suffered the loss of their job to a xenomorph?" And the picture of the Alien monster sitting at a computer. LOL.

Elizabeth Warren was a good sport but I'm not sure how I feel about the interview. It lacked content and was mostly just for laughs. Can't decide if I'm OK with that or not. I love EW to death but I've been frustrated with her of late.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5

I sorta suspect that E-Dubs's affection for Ballers was an invention of the writers room, but good on her for playing along so enthusiastically.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Can Medicare be far behind?

It certainly cannot. That would be the Rapture of Ryan. 

5 hours ago, attica said:

sorta suspect that E-Dubs's affection for Ballers was an invention of the writers room, but good on her for playing along so enthusiastically.

My sister's best friend used to work for EW and is still quite close and has watched Ballers with her at her house,  her love for it and Dwayne Johnson was most definitely not an invention of the show.

• Love 7
(edited)

Okay, okay, I yield to my fellow posters' superior judgment! And now, since Johnson has publicly mused about higher office, can we cook up a Warren/Rock 2020 ticket?

Edited by attica
Spell gud
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 06/29/2017 at 0:59 PM, iMonrey said:

Elizabeth Warren was a good sport but I'm not sure how I feel about the interview. It lacked content and was mostly just for laughs. Can't decide if I'm OK with that or not. I love EW to death but I've been frustrated with her of late.

Yeah the interviews are the weakest part of the show and this was no exception. It seems like they haven't really figured out how to consistently do them with a distinctive voice/POV, but without feeling like a scripted bit. When it's someone Sam disagrees with it can feel like a Daily Show field piece and when it's someone she likes it often feels schticky with the subject showing off how they "get it" and setting up jokes. I'd personally like to see it played a bit straighter with Sam asking different questions than other people, either by coming at it from an explicitly feminist angle or by being brutally honest and blunt. Al Franken was a great example of how you can be both honest and funny and play along without coming off completely scripted. I don't expect every guest to live up to that standard as Franken is both smarter than most guests and has done more hours of topical humor and talk shows than Sam herself, but his being game while refusing to do "a bit" shows that the interviews can be good if you play them (relatively) straight and rely on the host's wit and charm and a decent guest.

Edited by wknt3
typos :-(
  • Love 5

Much as I love her, EW has been accused of evasiveness by members of the press who haven't been able to land interviews with her or if they have, can't get her to give straight answers. This was just her kind of opportunity.

Well, it finally happened. The third segment on the show tonight actually made me very angry. The Trump protesters were doing the right thing. I don't understand the message that segment was sending- was it to just give up and normalize him? He hasn't done anything wrong, are you kidding me? That really pissed me off. I don't know what Sam was thinking, airing that.

• Love 2

I did really enjoy the expression on the anti-capitalist guy's face when Ashley asked him why she'd talk to him for money if 'money wasn't going to be a thing anymore'.

7 hours ago, ruby24 said:

The Trump protesters were doing the right thing. I don't understand the message that segment was sending- was it to just give up and normalize him?

I get what you're saying and I hear you, but 'Impeach Now!' isn't a particularly useful message, because it flies in the face of how things actually work. The women's marches were better on point, imo, showing solidarity and opposition to the agenda. The various health-care direct actions have certainly been effective, too! It's not that he hasn't done anything wrong (he's been in violation of his oath of office since he took it, emoluments-wise), but this march had the quality of yelling at clouds.  Impeachment won't happen until not impeaching costs the House more than doing so will. And that's not likely to happen unless we replace the reps.  

Or, you know, there's always praying for the meteor to hit and end it all...

• Love 5

Yeah, I certainly get the criticism of "Impeach Now!" but the suggestion that we need to wait until there's a legal reason for it was muddy. Mueller and others are investigating, and evidence is being gathered now, but it will (unfortunately) take time.

I just can't help thinking all the time how Trump's defenders would feel if all the things that have happened with him and his people had happened with Hillary. NO DOUBT Republicans would be screaming impeachment, arrest, and on and on. NO. DOUBT.

Those monologues with Gohmert and Roh... whatever his name is... Dana Rohnmacher? ... were ridiculous.  

• Love 4

I thought going after the pro-impeachment people was a waste of time and counter-productive. You can believe that if there were pro-impeachment demonstrations in Red districts, it would make a difference. Right now, the Republicans won't impeach not over any great love of Trump but because they fear his loyal voter base. If they saw a groundswell of "throw the bum out" I think they'd be happy enough to get rid of him. And you have to start where you are. Better for people to demonstrate for impeachment than stay home and ignore politics. They're not doing it Sam's way, but they're not hurting anything.

Also, even if it doesn't make a difference, is this really the biggest problem we have? Go after people who are working against your interests, instead of targeting people who are basically on your side even if you disagree with their tactics. In-fighting hurts movements. Save your outrage for people are really doing damage.

Whatever you think if the impeachment idea, it's hard to respect the show for acting like this was really on par with throwing out rape kits, throwing away healthcare, throwing away the Constitution, or any of the other things happening in the world, and which the show has seen fit to critique. They really couldn't find a more worthy target?

There will always be people who you disagree with or find silly but who are not your actual enemy. The more distracted you are by them, the less you will accomplish toward your actual goals.

• Love 5

The stuff with the "voting integrity" panel or whatever it's called just infuriates me. Trump is just an idiot but people like Kris Kobach are pure, unadulterated evil. Terry McCauliffe was on The Daily Show last night and railed against people like that who are trying to suppress voting - I wish Sam had spent time interviewing him instead of wasting time on the "Impeach Now" protesters. I think that segment was a waste of time and counter-productive. 

I'd never heard of Dana Rohrabacher before this episode and yet there's another article about him in the news today:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-rep-rohrabacher-gets-bottom-martian-civilization-wasnt-214828498.html

I don't get it. How did the good people of SoCal elect such a moron? 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, attica said:

(he's been in violation of his oath of office since he took it, emoluments-wise),

Exactly. This is about not allowing the bar to be a million times lower for him than it would be for anyone else. Everyone has said for months if one inch of this behavior was anyone else, impeachment articles would already be drawn up. So don't let him off the hook because it's a constant dumpster fire all around! I don't understand what those guys were thinking, going after these people, they're the ones who should be celebrated for what they're doing. That whole thing left such a bad taste in my mouth. Hasn't he already admitted obstruction of justice too? This idea that "he's just a dick," like she said in that segment is completely, 100% WRONG. To imply that people are just being whiny, that they want a different "outcome" to the election, like she also said to one of the other protesters? God, that was so offensive.

• Love 8

It seems Samantha's message about the pro impeachment crowd was that those people would be better off, and having a greater impact, going to the ballot boxes and voting for Democrats - especially during the midterms - rather than marching in the streets demanding a long drawn out action that would probably never happen, at least as long as Republicans control all levels of government. That has been Samantha's bee in a bonnet (no pun intended) right now. People who don't exercise their right to vote or spoil their votes for people who have no chance of winning for one reason or another - like believing Hillary Clinton has the presidency in the bag. She's been showing and warning us this with the 2010 and 2014 midterms as well as the 2016 presidential election. So I don't consider that third segment infuriating. Of course if, from the first segment, Kris Kobach is successful in his attempts to roll back voter lists and suppress the vote, there won't be anymore elections in the U.S. and Drumph will demand to be called Dear Leader.

I don't get it. How did the good people of SoCal elect such a moron? 

The same way mouth breathing idjuts like Gohmert and Steve King get elected. because a district that has people with very right wing views think they're the best persons to represent them in Washington. I'd imagine if ALL of SoCal had their choice, Dana Rohrabacher wouldn't be elected dog catcher, much less congressman.

• Love 7

Is there any evidence that the demonstrators don't vote for Dems? Why would Sam or her crew assume that? Are people actually supposed to sit quietly until election day? Public pressure works more than passive silence, of that I'm certain. Often you don't see the results until it reaches critical mass, but it never gets there if people don't try.

• Love 6