Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Don't Poke The Bear

The heat is on for Nikita to create a flawless Italian feast for a caterer and her family. Also, Jamie tries to prove himself in a leadership role, yet the staffers disrespect his authority; Mark begins courting Jenna; and Cynthia's true colors emerge.

Fire Mark and Jenn too!  

FYI Nikita, it is never a good idea to put a meat and cheese platter in direct sunlight.  The guests were either in the hot tub or meditating and would not be ready for their cocktail snacks for at least a half an hour at the earliest.  Meat and dairy do not do well in these conditions and become slimy and full of bacteria.  It is always a good idea to not poison or kill your guests.  It is your job to adjust your schedule to your guests needs, not the other way around.  If you are unable to do this then you need to look for another line of work.

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Love 20

Yep, fire Mark and Jenna.  Pleazeee.  And sorry Nik, you're not all that.  Apparently, they've never had a job in the real world where it's not always about 'you'. 

I do feel for Jamie because he's just trying to do his job while dealing with some employees' who think they're all that.  Most of the cast of this show are a dime a dozen.  Grow up.

• Love 18

I do feel for Jamie because he's just trying to do his job while dealing with some employees' who think they're all that.  Most of the cast of this show are a dime a dozen.  Grow up.

I agree. I do not mind Jamie. He is trying to get stuff done. I do not think he is asking anyone to do anything that is not really required of them. Jamie also, seems to be a bit self aware.

It looks like Louise and Colston seem to realize that Jamie is in charge and have no problem with that. I think Blake is fine with it too, but I missed the conversation he had with Colston. I had to laugh at Colston explaining to Mark that Jamie is their boss.

Nikita needs to learn she is there to serve the guests and do what they want. If they want to eat with the staff, so be it. She did a family style dinner, she cannot do something similar and then eat with them? Then she basically threatens to quit at the meeting after the guests left. Please go Nikita. 

Mark and Jen need to go. There are brief moments here and there, where I think I can tolerate Jen a bit, but those moments past quickly. I did like her saying to Mark that Nikita cannot take criticism. I have no words for Mark. He is just an asshole.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 9

I think the guests critiques had merit and were meant to be helpful to Nikita. She cannot take criticism and that is a bad quality to have in her field and life in general. 

Mark is a tool bad and not very attractive IMHO. Clueless and conceited are a deadly combination. 

• Love 8

I dislike Mark, third person Jenny and Nikita.  I wish to see a spectacular firing by the end of the season. 

Otherwise, I like everyone else.  Who's names I can't really remember...Jamie, Blake, Louise, the one who stuck her toe in her mouth and the cute guy who understands and accepts the concept of a boss.

The guest wasn't quite a nightmare. More an annoyance, but it's her money and vacation.  She was also complimentary towards the cook and found her criticism polite and correct.  Even I know not to put cheese in the sun. Nikita's talking head may have screwed her cooking talent in regards to jobs.

• Love 8

Mark. What an asshat. Are you seriously thinking that there is 'more' to Third Person Jenna? And I want to see the damn receipts on that math degree she's always dropping. And whatever other new accomplishment she was banging on about this episode. And this is indeed the 3rd episode where she refers to herself in the third. And that's 3 too many. I can't stand grown women who clap their hands and say 'yay' in little girl voices. When did that start? Cos it needs to stop also.

And WHERE does Gibbons Life source these dark haired thick eyebrowed girls (Nikita and Cynthia), with the droll delivery and 'one of the boys' mentality (Cynthia)? There was one in 'Apres Ski', I can't remember her name, who was also besties and slept in the same bed with one of the male workers. Except IIRC, the Apres Ski guy was gay and out about it. 

I LOVED Jamie in his onesie making the call to the big boss to get his ass out of the skillet with fcktard Mark. It was the wrong move as a manager, but again I felt for the poor guy having to adult in a house full of special snowflakes who are appalled that their jobs require them to work and answer to a boss. Gibbons Life says it provides luxury experiences in Whistler to clientele who can afford it. Yet they seem to have put very little effort into ensuring this happens seamlessly. There MUST be a recognised hierarchy, and since Katie quit, Joey (big mistake, you're the CEO, you should be Joe) should have stepped in and identified who fit where and how it was to work. Presumable, Katie got hired and had time to absorb her job description and prepare herself for it. Now Jamie has stepped in, unprepared. He needs to harden the f**k up with these asshats. I'm glad to see the Aussies at least representing, with Louise supporting Jamie and Blake not being an asshole. See Mark, it's really not hard. Don't be an asshole. 

Nikita needs to go. Jamie should have alerted Joey to potential problems there in order to have her shitcanned at the first possible opportunity. She is Ben Robinson Mach II. The customer is always right, Nikita. And if she wants to have the entire crew eat at the table, then get Mark to run into town with a list and break a couple more eggs and fry a few more pancakes and maybe your tip would have been 300 instead of 200. Hopefully the rest of the crew will start realising the deficit may be down to Nikita in future, because irritating, alpha and nasty as Mark is, the outdoors crew are getting their job done to the guests liking so far.

I don't get the default attitude of hostility with this crew/cast. Louise and Blake, as I've said seem more prepared this episode to just get on with it and do the work. But the rest of them? It's like they MUST have someone to hate and poor sad Jamie is the guy. I think he's too sensitive for this role, with all his 'if you don't mind' type instructions to the bolshy Nikita and Mark. Those 2 aren't going to respect anything less than AUTHORITAAAA. The only mitigating factor I saw for the unlovely Nikita was her quiet word toward the end where she says to Louise (I think/hope, because if it was anyone else, they are too self involved to recognise the importance and take it to Jamie) where she says that she is stuck indoors the entire time while everyone else gets to have fun outside and mingle with the guests. This is true to an extent. Jamie could win 'hearts and minds' by making a big deal of trying to include Nikita and organising for her to participate somehow.

Mark is going to sandbag and whiteant Jamie until one of them goes. I'm actually waiting for a gay slur to come out of his ugly mouth. We need a Cpt Lee here to tell Mark and Jenna that spreading their disgusting snowflake DNA all over the master suite was 'screwing the pooch' and here's a ticket home. Mark obviously thinks he's indispensable, but others have fallen from similar positions and their underling has stepped up and done a better job in a heartbeat. That would be Mark's protege Colton. He's laid back and still clever and appears willing to work also, which is an asset when you have a job.

Lastly, was the primary, cheese integrity woman actually married to Jimmy from the mob??! Were those their kids? I don't see it.

• Love 3

Mark is a horrible dickhead who would only show respect to a boss who is like Captain Lee: an older man who outranks him in a military-style hierachy and, even then, only if he knows he could be fired at any time.  The only reason I would fire Nikita first is because at least Mark keeps it together in front of clients.  That open kitchen is not Nikita's friend-I'm sure the clients saw her refuse to get Jamie his fork and plate.

Nikita and Mark don't even need to be living in the house.  Since both of them want to do only their very specific duties, they could come in, like the spiritual advisor, to do those roles and then leave.  They aren't good teammates.

• Love 6

Lastly, was the primary, cheese integrity woman actually married to Jimmy from the mob??! Were those their kids? I don't see it.

Both of the boys were 15 and didn't look related so I am thinking a second (at least) marriage but I was also fascinated by their relationship and their silent friend.

Jamie should be very happy that the late night call with his boss was not a video call; he would have been fired on the spot for wearing that shamrock onesie - I thought it was a PJ set which was bad enough, but a onesie???  when you're on call with the guests???  and attempting to be superior to those immature employees???

Never again will I chastise my boss for always wearing a tie to the office...

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, FlyingEgret said:

Jamie should be very happy that the late night call with his boss was not a video call; he would have been fired on the spot for wearing that shamrock onesie - I thought it was a PJ set which was bad enough, but a onesie???  when you're on call with the guests???  and attempting to be superior to those immature employees???

Never again will I chastise my boss for always wearing a tie to the office...

It's just as easy to change put of a onside as it is to change out of your pajamas.

• Love 1

Being a New Englander I have to stick up for Jamie and his onesie/Snuggie attire.  Sometimes it gets so cold up north you just want to be warm and you just don't care how you look.  I will confess that I have made my own "Snuggies"  by sewing together two $5 fleece throw blankets into a poncho.  I look ridiculous but I am so comfy and toasty warm as I am typing this. :)

• Love 5

I just want to echo the love for Jamie. He knows what he's doing and wants to excel at providing the guests with a memorably awesome experience. It's really shitty that most of the others are not team players. My only qualm about Jamie is that he's so frantic. I'm surprised he's come this far as a personal assistant because 90% of the job is relieving stress from the boss. I also think he should have made himself scarce instead of sitting down for the tail end of dinner. That way he could wait until the guests were out of sight before asking Nikita about breakfast...but he's learning and I think he's adorable.

The others piss me off to no end! Mark isn't cute enough to act like a dingbat. And Nikita can fuck off about cooking for the staff. Just the way she spoke was so rude and not to get all RHONY on here but she's coming from "a place of NO." Clearly she doesn't belong in hospitality and should go back to line cooking behind closed doors. The guests make a request and she shoots it down without even offering a second option or working with Jamie to make it happen. She's a spoiled brat and I would honestly prefer Crazy Cakes Rocky from BD as the chef. 

I like the Australian housekeeping chick. Really glad she slowed down on the partying stories from her youth cause that shit was boring but she seems to have the kind of experience Gibson (or whatever) is hoping to provide. She knows how a luxury rental should operate and doesn't step on anyone's toes. Honestly, if anyone should be lodge manager it's her. Also digging the bartender/handyman although I really hope he washes his hands in between toilet plunging and mixing drinks. I think that's kind of a weird job combo but what do I know? And I like the other outdoorsy dude...although I'm super side-eyeing his decision to remain friends with Mark for 20 years. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Being a New Englander I have to stick up for Jamie and his onesie/Snuggie attire.  Sometimes it gets so cold up north you just want to be warm and you just don't care how you look.  I will confess that I have made my own "Snuggies"  by sewing together two $5 fleece throw blankets into a poncho.  I look ridiculous but I am so comfy and toasty warm as I am typing this. :)

Now that's innovative!

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, rho said:

I And I like the other outdoorsy dude...although I'm super side-eyeing his decision to remain friends with Mark for 20 years. 

Colston is 19 years old. He has known Mark since he was 9 or 10 and Mark was his ski instructor and already an adult, tgey showed a pic of them on the first ep. He is still more mature than Mark and he was the one who pushed back directly to Mark that Jaime was in fact their boss.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, queenjen said:

Mark. What an asshat. Are you seriously thinking that there is 'more' to Third Person Jenna? And I want to see the damn receipts on that math degree she's always dropping. And whatever other new accomplishment she was banging on about this episode. And this is indeed the 3rd episode where she refers to herself in the third. And that's 3 too many. I can't stand grown women who clap their hands and say 'yay' in little girl voices. When did that start? Cos it needs to stop also.

And WHERE does Gibbons Life source these dark haired thick eyebrowed girls (Nikita and Cynthia), with the droll delivery and 'one of the boys' mentality (Cynthia)? There was one in 'Apres Ski', I can't remember her name, who was also besties and slept in the same bed with one of the male workers. Except IIRC, the Apres Ski guy was gay and out about it. 

I LOVED Jamie in his onesie making the call to the big boss to get his ass out of the skillet with fcktard Mark. It was the wrong move as a manager, but again I felt for the poor guy having to adult in a house full of special snowflakes who are appalled that their jobs require them to work and answer to a boss. Gibbons Life says it provides luxury experiences in Whistler to clientele who can afford it. Yet they seem to have put very little effort into ensuring this happens seamlessly. There MUST be a recognised hierarchy, and since Katie quit, Joey (big mistake, you're the CEO, you should be Joe) should have stepped in and identified who fit where and how it was to work. Presumable, Katie got hired and had time to absorb her job description and prepare herself for it. Now Jamie has stepped in, unprepared. He needs to harden the f**k up with these asshats. I'm glad to see the Aussies at least representing, with Louise supporting Jamie and Blake not being an asshole. See Mark, it's really not hard. Don't be an asshole. 

Nikita needs to go. Jamie should have alerted Joey to potential problems there in order to have her shitcanned at the first possible opportunity. She is Ben Robinson Mach II. The customer is always right, Nikita. And if she wants to have the entire crew eat at the table, then get Mark to run into town with a list and break a couple more eggs and fry a few more pancakes and maybe your tip would have been 300 instead of 200. Hopefully the rest of the crew will start realising the deficit may be down to Nikita in future, because irritating, alpha and nasty as Mark is, the outdoors crew are getting their job done to the guests liking so far.

I don't get the default attitude of hostility with this crew/cast. Louise and Blake, as I've said seem more prepared this episode to just get on with it and do the work. But the rest of them? It's like they MUST have someone to hate and poor sad Jamie is the guy. I think he's too sensitive for this role, with all his 'if you don't mind' type instructions to the bolshy Nikita and Mark. Those 2 aren't going to respect anything less than AUTHORITAAAA. The only mitigating factor I saw for the unlovely Nikita was her quiet word toward the end where she says to Louise (I think/hope, because if it was anyone else, they are too self involved to recognise the importance and take it to Jamie) where she says that she is stuck indoors the entire time while everyone else gets to have fun outside and mingle with the guests. This is true to an extent. Jamie could win 'hearts and minds' by making a big deal of trying to include Nikita and organising for her to participate somehow.

Mark is going to sandbag and whiteant Jamie until one of them goes. I'm actually waiting for a gay slur to come out of his ugly mouth. We need a Cpt Lee here to tell Mark and Jenna that spreading their disgusting snowflake DNA all over the master suite was 'screwing the pooch' and here's a ticket home. Mark obviously thinks he's indispensable, but others have fallen from similar positions and their underling has stepped up and done a better job in a heartbeat. That would be Mark's protege Colton. He's laid back and still clever and appears willing to work also, which is an asset when you have a job.

This post was way more brilliant and eloquent than this show deserves lol...so much shade in the bold above LOL

• Love 3

Devil's Advocate Time:

1. Luxury service means the staff NEVER eats with the guests, regardless of requests. (And this has happened on Below Deck multiple times, Kate always politely declines.) The exception for Captain Lee is specific and historical. 

2. In reality, there's no way the Ski Hosts answer to a Lodge Manager. So Mark (with producer prodding) likely has no idea what's going on. Does Whistler not have a Director of Ski Operations? I highly doubt if you went to Gibbons when the cameras weren't filming that the Lodge Manager gives assignments to the ski professionals. No excuse for the sex in the guest lodge though (although likely producer idea as well.)

Edited by portfino
  • Love 2

I think that new manager would get less resistance if he spoke to the staff in a more professional manner.  Calling on the chef being disrespectful just gets him bitchiness back.  As a manager say "I understand you are not the staff chef.  The client had a request staff join them for a meal and it is likely this kind of request will occur again in the future.  What do you suggest we do when this comes up the next time?"

Most employees who get tips will not suggest telling the client to F-off, instead as it is in their control now they often come up with better solutions and buy into the process.

ETA while I do think the chef is a bitch, the manager is shitty too.  A good manager can manage a bitch like the chef.  We can all see what makes her tick, just play to a bit and twist her to the result you want.  Saying I am the boss Okay won't work.

For the sex couple. Punish them by making them clean up the room, give them a warning and terminate them on the next offensive.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 1

I guess I'm the last person with Work Ethic.  Cue Taps, I Weep for the Future. Christ! Also, fuck it, these All-Stars have ruined Skiing for me this year. SKI CLEMSON!

Edited by Nanu160
Bad salad
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, portfino said:

In reality, there's no way the Ski Hosts answer to a Lodge Manager. So Mark (with producer prodding) likely has no idea what's going on. Does Whistler not have a Director of Ski Operations?

I disagree-- this seems to be set up as a VERY SMALL HOTEL, all-inclusive, with concierge service, outings, dining, etc. So Mark doesn't answer to someone at the ski resort/Whistler. He answers to the manager of his hotel, who is Jamie. Personally I think it's kind of weird to have 8 or however many people, serving 8 or so guests, but I guess it's supposed to be akin the whole yachting thing like Below Deck. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, dosodog said:

The guest wasn't quite a nightmare. More an annoyance, but it's her money and vacation.  She was also complimentary towards the cook and found her criticism polite and correct.  Even I know not to put cheese in the sun. Nikita's talking head may have screwed her cooking talent in regards to jobs.

I think the guest was somewhat condescending in how she phrased things to Nikita ("you're growing and you're going to be great")-- but on the other hand she was completely right. So I think she really felt she was giving constructive criticism. Nikita was a ridiculous, entitled, lazy jerk. 

• Love 3

This show is a joke, right?  Those assclowns can't really be serving actual vacationers who want a luxury experience, can they?  If this is an example of a 5-star vacation, I'd hate to find out what circle of hell 1 star would be.

That snobby caterer was condescending and probably doesn't know as much about food as she thinks she does.  That said, hey Nikita, if the redneck Italian wants spaghetti and meatballs and couscous, then suck it up and make her spaghetti and meatballs and couscous.  If I owned a resort I'd never hire her because I don't want my guests to have to wonder what kind of crap Nikita is saying about them.  Not cool.

Was it just me, or did the chicken breast at the first meal look dry?  That's probably why snobby caterer only ate two bites. 

Jamie is a coward.  If any of the employees were insubordinate toward me, I'd fire their asses so fast they'd be digging their clothes out of a snowbank for a week.  

Failed cheerleader and her boytoy need to stop sliming on the guests' beds.  They should be so very fired.

Not a fan of the staff addressing the guests as "you guys."  Use "ladies," "gentlemen," "ladies and gentlemen," or "everyone."  "You guys" sounds sloppy.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 3

Jamie, sweetie, pick a language and stick to it.  Preferably English.  He dropped French ("Mademoiselle," to a married woman), Spanish ("Mi casa es su casa"),  and Italian (one too many "Ciao Ciaos").  And when you give your staff an order, don't follow it with "Is that OK with you?"  It doesn't matter if it's OK with them when you're issuing an order.

• Love 2
On 12/20/2016 at 5:39 PM, Negritude said:

I agree with all you said and have picked out this choice bit to really highlight my point as well.

I have to laugh at the first episode when Katie said each team member was hired for the reputation in excellence.  OMG!  If she means central casting then sure but how would Jenna have a stellar reputation when she was fired for screwing an athlete and it was against her contract?  I too think Colton could just take over for Mark.

To add:  Just found a fun link about Jenna and her "back story" full of bullshit!

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 1
On 12/20/2016 at 1:17 AM, Petunia13 said:

I think the guests critiques had merit and were meant to be helpful to Nikita. She cannot take criticism and that is a bad quality to have in her field and life in general. 

Mark is a tool bad and not very attractive IMHO. Clueless and conceited are a deadly combination. 

Ugh, can't stand that Andrea woman, or her fake hair or her fake teeth.  Every time that witch speaks all I hear is a cross between The Bronx and Nassau County and I want to tell her to go back there.

Jamie was wrong telling Nikita to cook for the staff too.

As fit twenty somethings not wanting to work, shit I worked in a place for thirty years and I got laid off, so no need to bust your ass.

36 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Jamie was wrong telling Nikita to cook for the staff too..

The guests requested a one time meal with the staff, Jaime was trying to make the guests happy and did everything possible to assist Nikita in accomplishing that, including offering to go shopping for any extra supplies for breakfast and then coming up with a suggestion of just joining in the ice cream bar and Nikita wouldn't even do that which was her responsiblity that was the guests dessert even when it would have required no extra work. Jaime was not asking her to cook regularly for the staff and her attitude was completely out of line and unprofessional, especially not setting up the ice cream bar.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3