Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The One Night Stand That Won't Go Away

Katy must make a big decision after receiving bad news from home. Meanwhile, secrets are spilled over sushi and sake; Jenna decides to move in with Nikita; a caterer and her family test Nikita; and all must adjust to the house's new dynamics.

In this situation, isn't the chef pretty much a temporary personal chef for the guests?  You think the personal chef to, I don't know, Jennifer Aniston gets all bucky when she asks for some gluten-free, vegan bullshit?  The ego on Nikita is ridiculous.  Just do your job.

I will say, though, that they should have sort of prep cook or assistant to make things like snacks and keep the food coming.  Seriously, Americans think vacation=all you can eat buffet.

• Love 5

Agreed, ninjago. Nikita is full of herself, reminds me of the huge ego on the Below Deck chefs.

$200 didn't sound like a big tip to me. I'm jaded by the $1000+ tips the Below Deck crew gets, I guess.

Jenna is driving me crazy by referring to herself in the third person. I sort of liked Jamie last week. But this week he came across as way too insecure.

• Love 7

How hard is it for Nikita to have a special "pantry" that is always stocked with snack foods, cheeses, fruit, crackers and other ingredients so snacks are available when the guests request them.  If the guests don't eat the perishable items that are left over, I am sure the staff would eat them once the guest have left.  I understand Nikita needs a heads up to budget her time when she is being asked to provide on the go snacks for the guests when they are out skiing, snowmobiling, come home from the clubs at night, etc, however, it should be standard operating procedure for her to order what she will need to indulge the vacationing guests snacking needs. 

• Love 7

Apparently, Nikita doesn't make a snack if it's not on the itinerary sheet.  Remind me not to book that lodge.

OK.  Adrienne or whatever the primary's name was, is a bitch.  She was giving Nikita a test.  Ben (BD) can drive me crazy but Nikita doesn't seem to be in his league.

$200?   But I have a feeling that the Timber Creek Lodge guests don't get quite the same level of treatment that Below Deck guests get.  And it's not quite the same level of luxury and cost for that luxury. 

• Love 4

Yo, I can shred a big  snowy mountain, deepthroat a foodservice cheeseburger, simmer in some free hot springs at the days end.. get drunk at local poolhall for $20 without "5 star "boot warming vowel dragging!?  idiots wiping my snow chapped ass for just about no Money and be happy happy happy as a pig in shit, real skiers don't fuck with pampering!

7 minutes ago, queenjen said:

they are yellow snow. 

Word up!

I just want the Mountain, not the douche drama, yeezus!

• Love 2

I still struggle with why they renamed this show. Unless it WAS to distance themselves from Below Deck and the BD concept (2 words and Apres Ski has a similar connotation to BD. Kinda. But Apres Ski is a term loaded with the promise of partying after a hard day on the slopes, also). What I DO know, is that they must choose a lane. Are they doing a luxury experience set in Whistler or are they doing Vanderpump Rules in Whistler? I've got zero interest in the latter and I'm hoping for the former. Gibbons seems to be enamoured with what you've described, Nanu160, and maybe what he is trying to achieve is to bring the extreme skiing experience to newbs with money. Something like the Everest expedition market where if you've got upwards of 60k, someone will haul you up the mountain (google Everest 96 for how that all worked out, and continues to work out). 

So they're working with a fundamental paradox here: the Whistler laid back extreme sports lifestyle and top end luxury provision which requires extreme OCD types to pull it off (Jamie), to predict what a guest wants and provide it before they've thought of it themselves and to do so with discretion.

If Gibbons Life can't pull this off, guests may as well book themselves into the nearest 5 star resort and use their concierge. Or find a private lodge rental and hire a chef and staff yourself. They are NOT going to get the top end lining up for this in its current state. I can't see any Dean Slovers lining up for what Gibbons Life is offering.

• Love 2

Five star?  Not even close at the 'lodge'.

Gibbon's Life desperately wants publicity and Bravo, for whatever reason, is working with them to create a cross between Vanderpump Rules and Below Deck. 

Yeah, better to check in to the nearest five star resort.  You'll probably get better service and no doubt, a better concierge.  Well, unless you're a famewhore guest. 

• Love 5

Dude ,Good insight ! The real mountain experience is so bumpy, and you gotta werk for it and at the end of the day, you are rewarded ! But entitled rich folks are missing the most rewarding part of skiing, very ironical, let them THINK THEY ARE HAVING FUN, because they are drinking Hennessy or whatever!. Their problem! 

• Love 1

They're definitely on to something, there's a niche market. But Gibbons Life is a big fat fail so far. Joey is at least looking the part more this year, maybe he hit the slopes himself and laid OFF the Hennessy, cos he's literally half of what he was last season. So much cool stuff Gibbons Life could be doing! Just....choose a lane!!!

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, urusai said:

I would've just tossed out the vacuum bag instead of trying to emptying it out.  That was nasty.  

My boyfriend walked in on that scene and has mention it no less than four times in the last hour and a half. Oops five times, he just shouted from the kitchen "they aren't reusable, dickhead!"

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10

cous cous is millet often found in Northern African cuisine, which is a grain and free of gluten. I used to eat it as an alternative to rice before it was marketed as cous cous and the price got jacked and it got totally faddy. Doesn't taste all that good anyway. So dleighg, did I miss something here?

• Love 1

I would have Nikita much higher up on these rankings. She's arrogant.

I do find it weird these people get fewer tips than Below Deck despite doing the same work.  But I guess it's fair that operating a boat is more complicated than running a ski lodge. (Imagine the drama on Below Deck if someone's main job was just to entertain the guests?) Which is another questions - why are there a manager, assistant manager, 4 VIP hosts and 2 housekeepers for one lodge?

• Love 1

I would've just tossed out the vacuum bag instead of trying to emptying it out.  That was nasty.  

IKR, it was ridiculous and showed how unprofessional that group of 'professionals' really is and most likely typifies the caliber of the whole staff. Anyone who's worked in hospitality / housekeeping or even has owned a vacuum knows you don't reuse a vac bag. But, I sooo loved it because now she thinks that's what she's supposed to do and I can picture her reaching her hand into the grossness weekly. 5 star resort? nope

• Love 6
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

You mean that printing out their boarding passes doesn't catapult them into 5 star status? :)

His boarding passes stress was unbelievable. Jamie was on my nerves a lot last night. He said in a TH that he regretted judging Katy before he knew that she was struggling with personal life issues. Then he later went on to say that he hated her. I was confused. 

I'm really bothered by the lack of separation between the kitchen and the dining area. The guest lodge should really have a closed off kitchen so that Nikita isn't watching them react to her food and vice versa. 

• Love 6

I think a major reason Jamie is so rattled is that he is working with a bunch of lazy, incompetent and immature people.  Katy was a horrible manager. On the first day when she caught Mark? taking a shower in the guest house and he disrespected her in front of the other staff, she just sat their and said "that's rude".  She did NOTHING about it she just sat there and and allowed herself to be disrespected.  She should have fired him on the spot.  By accepting his disrespect, she set herself and Jamie up to be treated accordingly by all the staff.  Now, Jamie is acting manager and the staff has no respect for his authority.  

• Love 10
29 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

I think a major reason Jamie is so rattled is that he is working with a bunch of lazy, incompetent and immature people.  Katy was a horrible manager. On the first day when she caught Mark? taking a shower in the guest house and he disrespected her in front of the other staff, she just sat their and said "that's rude".  She did NOTHING about it she just sat there and and allowed herself to be disrespected.  She should have fired him on the spot.  By accepting his disrespect, she set herself and Jamie up to be treated accordingly by all the staff.  Now, Jamie is acting manager and the staff has no respect for his authority.  

Agreed!  She keeps saying this job was a new start and by Googling her I see she has a masters....this does not always translate into a work ethic.  I found her to be a very bad fit for the job.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Agreed!  She keeps saying this job was a new start and by Googling her I see she has a masters....this does not always translate into a work ethic.  I found her to be a very bad fit for the job.

I wonder if she'll take a reality show gig on E! after she gets her Phd.......

• Love 3
2 hours ago, jumper sage said:

It's very telling that after ten years in the business she doesn't know enough not to outright give a guest a gratuity envelope? It should have been discussed with housekeeping to leave and envelope in their rooms.

I imagine that took the guests by surprise and the amount was probably all they could scrape together at the last minute.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, dleighg said:

"Here's a gratuity envelope. Don't feel obligated."

I have been many places were a gratuity is expected. I have never been handed a "gratuity envelope."

I have been to hotels that have them hor the housekeeping staff and at my hair salon.

• Love 1

In the face of such a serious issue as a life altering Overdose, these Stupid Fuckers remain , like, LITT-ER-A-LEEYYY as Superficial as Cheap (Pink)  Vinyl Siding on a Single-Wide in a FEMA Trailer Park in Brevard.

No.

kill me Now

Katy Dipped Out not because of a real situation, but to escape these Twats.

Also, these Boring Self Worshipping Guests! (ugh) can go away to their own Gluten Free Non-GMO Cupcake PH Balanced Water Special Snowflake  UTOPIA Landscape. !!!  Fuck You and your food  Rich Idiots...It's all a SMELLY FESTERING TURD in the End!    I ask....WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH GOOD SKIING, BITCHES???

• Love 3
On 12/14/2016 at 0:36 AM, dleighg said:

No, cous cous is made from semolina. Which is wheat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couscous

It is not gluten free. http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/Is-Couscous-Gluten-Free.html

Millet is something else.

OMG. Thankyou dleigh, you are right. Maybe it's a local thing to me (australia). Couscous is sometimes made with millet, so I've probably looked it up years ago in some mohair health food cafe here and thought right, it's just millet with a fancy name. The stuff I was eating was a yellow grain, gluten free. I didn't realise that couscous was made from something else and can be made from a number of different things. I thought it was a fluffy grain. Anyhoo, I feel like an idiot!

I could have done without the drawn out Katie leaving scene and Jamie should stop being indecisive and just step up. With this crew of special snowflakes, he's not going to win anyone over by asking their permission or opinion on his leadership style and he's the one who's head will be on the block if it goes awry. Also, Nikita is head snowflake in my book right now. She's evidently been watching Below Deck for the wrong reasons and has decided that Chef Ben's style of moaning over simple requests is her right.  She needs to retire 'get out of my kitchen', it's not cute or funny, it wasn't the first time either. Every TH she does makes her look more of a dick. Which is something when she's got competition like Jenna continuing to refer to herself in the 3rd person. And my fellow countryperson, Louise, who ACTUALLY admitted with a straight face to 'scissoring'...South Park is a satire, dear, and you are a worldwide laughing stock for taking sex tips from Mrs Garrison. Literal millenials. I'm dying.

On 12/14/2016 at 2:30 AM, indiscutable said:

I'm really bothered by the lack of separation between the kitchen and the dining area. The guest lodge should really have a closed off kitchen so that Nikita isn't watching them react to her food and vice versa. 

Jamie said he was joking after he said he was glad to see the back of Katie in his TH. Yeah, the kitchen totally needs to be separate from the dining area. WHAT are they thinking? It doesn't work for anyone, not the guests and not the Chef. It can't make for good food either, when you are having to think about keeping quiet and not making any intrusive cooking smells while the guests are still trying to enjoy the course before. To me, this just says pre prepared food and heating stuff up. Which doesn't make for a 5 star experience at all. Nikita seemed to get an attitude immediately upon learning that the primary is in major catering in NYC. Her nasty 'redneck Italians' comment made her look douchier than before. And when she abruptly tells the primary that she is French, in that challenging manner....does she not want a tip? If this was Below Deck, she'd be accountable to the rest of the team for her noxious attitude with the guests. Being friendly and smiling really doesn't cost you anything, and can be grounds for a big reward later, so what is your frequency, Nikita? 

When they got the first tip though, there was surprise. Obviously this wasn't expected. This kind of tipping a la Below Deck, will change the group dynamic in a positive way as they will have to attempt to work cohesively as a team. At least I hope it will, but these fools are so self involved, it's going to be a challenge.

OMG. The cogs hard at work in Jenna's skull were visible when the slimmed down Joey walked in to the lodge. Her whole body language went gushy and forward. Eeeeew. Not going to happen, Jenna. Keep boning your team mates, it's as good as it's going to get for you. What a fool. Mark, too. What is there to get to know?? He said it over and over, butt hurt that she raced for the upgrade like Ramona Singer in the Bahamas. 

• Love 4

Honestly if you wanted to "wow" someone, why on earth would you serve chicken breasts? Even the best chicken breast ever is like, "meh, it's a chicken breast."

I wonder if Nikita, Mark and Colston are all right with Joey Gibbons, otherwise it seems weird to me that three friends would be cast together when everyone else isa stranger straight out of Bravo central casting (except Jaimie, he is not typical Bravo...).  

I don't know what it says about me to completely not comprehend a fluffy Bravo show, but I don't! Caught two episodes this morning while lounging around drinking coffee and I'm baffled! From the weird, choppy production peppered with odd pauses and random disembodied giggles at things that are not funny...to the odd vibe I'm getting that I'm somehow supposed to already know what these people are talking about (feels to me like I started watching midseason--for example like we're supposed to care deeply about this Katy and her addict friend?)...to the actual business itself, I'm just confused!

Why would guests on trips with friends want to interact with the staff on a personal level? I mean, fine, if it happens organically, whatever--I'm not above such things but I don't think I'd take a trip with the intention or expectation of having a built-in gang to hang out with upon arrival. Do guests generally not know what the planned activities are before they get there? It seems to be run like a kids' sleepaway camp and the staff are the counselors telling the guests what to do and when to do it. And (shallow alert) these people are all borderline physically unattractive. Personally, I don't care but it seems kind of odd for a show like this.

And what's up with those kitchen curtains? Why do they look like they have fake snow sprayed on them?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

Tattleteeny, I completely agree, it's very disjointed, like the editor s are (also) drunk, and the cast is dreadful and kinda ordinary in a bad way. They make those clowns from Jersey Shore look like Rock Stars. Perhaps this makes sense in Canada.

Oh, good--I'm glad it's not just me. By now, this type of show is predictably formulaic, for better or worse, and while not the epitome of sophistication, they usually provide some dumb fun and entertainment to people who are more than likely "too intelligent" for them. This one though is formatted strangely or something and thus, IMO, not doing its job!

And as for Jersey Shore, dare I say it but some of those people were actually entering at times desire their hideous sense of style! Paulie D. was, IMO, legitimately funny!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I LOVE Jamie. I want to hang out with him and watch Bravo shows. But I think this is mainly because I'm old and it drives me insane to see a bunch of twenty-something jerks sit around and refuse to work (HI, JENNA, THIS IS ABOUT YOU AND YOUR WHINING OVER DISHES IN EPISODE ONE). I really cannot tell you how irritating I find Jenna and her "tee hee, I'm so cute I shouldn't have to work" entitledness.

I like his neuroticism, and I think it's sorely needed here. He's the only one in the cast who IS detail-oriented, and someone has to be in a setting like this or things go awry.

This is also why I like Louise. She gets sh!t done.

• Love 11
On 12/13/2016 at 11:31 PM, Nanu160 said:

In the face of such a serious issue as a life altering Overdose, these Stupid Fuckers remain , like, LITT-ER-A-LEEYYY as Superficial as Cheap (Pink)  Vinyl Siding on a Single-Wide in a FEMA Trailer Park in Brevard.

No.

kill me Now

Katy Dipped Out not because of a real situation, but to escape these Twats.

Also, these Boring Self Worshipping Guests! (ugh) can go away to their own Gluten Free Non-GMO Cupcake PH Balanced Water Special Snowflake  UTOPIA Landscape. !!!  Fuck You and your food  Rich Idiots...It's all a SMELLY FESTERING TURD in the End!    I ask....WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH GOOD SKIING, BITCHES???

Well Nanu, if you had severe intestinal problems like my sister in law I can GUAR-AAAAAANNNN-TEEEEE you would be very careful about what foods you put into your body

• Love 1

Yuh. 

Sorry that your relative has a Real Issue.   My point is not to start a discussion on health and digestive issues.  My comments on this  exist solely to point out the Outrageous Entitlement displayed by both the staff and the guests of the show called Timber Creek Lodge .Also LITT-ERRR-ALLLEEE hate the way they talk.

• Love 1

I've just started watching this. Unbelievable. As has been mentioned, I cannot believe the "chef" needs a written reminder to buy snacks of all things. SMH. With the exception of Jamie, the rest of this crew needs to grow up and learn to accept criticism. Oh, and chef, stop worrying about the waste of food. I think it's terrible, but the cost of that food isn't coming out of your pocket so quit yer bitchin'!!!!!!

• Love 3