Type keyword(s) to search

Devious Maids - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am thinking that the villain is going to be either Ernesto or Marisol's "maid". As far as cleaning every day, trust me when I tell you that it's possible for him to need to clean up every day. My best friend, whom I love dearly, totally trashes her place daily. She just doesn't pick stuff up or do dishes etc. and when I go visit I am having to constantly move a pile of stuff just to sit down.

There's also the problem that only two of them are maids anymore. And Carmen is just barely a maid and Zoila is more like a housekeeper/companion to Genevieve. Blanca is gone so the title of the show doesn't really fit anymore. In the first season the story was in fact about maids and things that made them have to be "devious" but now it's more about the employers, especially with Marisol shifting into that position herself.

• Love 1

Rosie’s baby talk went up a degree in this episode, even when she was confessing.  I think the show and the actress think it makes Rosie more sweet and innocent.  I think it makes her sound like a child.

Did anyone else get weirded out when her Rosie’s fist husband told the son he was going to hell for saying a bad word?  That creeped me out.

Speaking of creepy, the Mr. Powell forcing Carmen to beat/torture him is disgusting and not funny.  Although , I think, the show thinks it is funny.

And Zoila, what an a-hole for telling Carmen, of all people, that secret.  This season is not enjoyable to me.

The only characters I like this season (so far) is Mrs. Powell, Marisol, her maid, Spence, and Genevieve.

• Love 3
Carmen unwillingly helps Adrian with his hobby which has dangerous consequences. Marisol worries over her relationship with Jesse. Zoila struggles with her feelings about having a new baby, while dealing with the arrival of her younger sister. Rosie continues to battle with her love for both of her husbands and makes a drastic decision. Evelyn discovers a new desire within herself.
(edited)

I was just thinking, what if the attacker of Blanca and the killer of Louie Becker are two different persons?

Louie has nothing to do with the Katy Mystery. My predictions: Gail Fleming had a relationship with Louie, he dumped her for another woman from the club. Or he was still in love with Genevieve, maybe thats why Gail wanted to pin the murder on Genevieve, by making her a suspect to the police. She wanted to take revenge and overheard the conversation of Michael and Louie and knew he was going to the Steppard house. I also think that Taylor did'nt see that Louie was killed, but Katy did. She saw the knife in the body or near it and took it and thats when Taylor came in, thinking Katy killed Louie. Al she does is protecting her child.

The person on the phone with Taylor might be Olivia who somehow knows about the illegal adoption of katy and blackmails Taylor. About the attacker of Blanca I have no idea. Any thoughts?

Edited by Melvinvdriet
As far as cleaning every day, trust me when I tell you that it's possible for him to need to clean up every day. My best friend, whom I love dearly, totally trashes her place daily. She just doesn't pick stuff up or do dishes etc. and when I go visit I am having to constantly move a pile of stuff just to sit down.

I guess, but we haven't really seen that Marisol lives like a slob.  The only thing we really saw was that her office was disorganized.  I mean, I know this isn't a reality based show, and obviously the guy is there to serve as some kind of possible love interest for Marisol, it just seemed silly.  I may just be tired of the "guy lifts up shirt and women are rendered dumb-founded" type storylines. 

• Love 1

Okay, I may be crazy, but a couple episodes ago when Bianca came into say Taylor (that night she blackmailed her way into coming back to work) I could have sworn Taylor said to the person on the phone Just a minute Ernesto, there's someone at the door (or something like that).  Is that possible?  If so, could it then mean that the little girl is Ernesto's by someone else and he really is a crooked cop - and the killer?

Rosie’s baby talk went up a degree in this episode, even when she was confessing.  I think the show and the actress think it makes Rosie more sweet and innocent.  I think it makes her sound like a child.

Rosie's voice makes my ears bleed.  I work in construction in Texas, so suffice it to say I have heard Hispanic accents a few times.  Rosie's inflection and sing songy nonsense is so fake, I just have to hit mute.

It seems that the fun, campy feel of the show is quickly dying off.  Doubt I'll be around much longer, even though Susan Lucci still cracks me up.

• Love 1

I just hope this trip to Greece isn't an excuse to write Genevieve off for the rest of the season. She's easily one of the best things about this show, and I'm sure LaLucci doesn't work cheap.

Susan Lucci is the reason I ever started watching this show.

I was a longtime fan of hers from All My Children.  I had not ever seen any of the "leads" in anything else, just some of the supporting cast.

Susan is doing a hilarious job as Genevieve.

It felt like odd but appropriate continuity, in a "Six Degrees" sense, to have Justina Machado play Judy Reyes'/Zoila's sister - she played Freddie Rodriguez's wife on Six Feet Under, and Freddie played Judy Reyes'/Carla's brother on Scrubs.

Normally I'd be rolling my eyes at the re-awakening of Evelyn's maternal side, but Rebecca Wisocky is doing a great job with the storyline. Her scene with the little girl on the steps was very well done.

I'm really sad at the lack of La Lucci in this episode - hope Genvieve's back from Greece very soon!

• Love 2

What a letdown that there was no LaLucci in this episode.  Please hurry back Genevieve!  Zoila needs you to boot her sorry excuse for a sister out.

The whole Katy thing is very confusing.  So now they are protecting her from "bad" men?   Oh well, at least it gave us some Brett Cullen time.

Carmen continues to be an idiot!  

I'm so sick of this whole Rosie story line where she has to choose.  And the church would tell her that she didn't sin because Ernesto was dead, but yes she would have to get an annulment - and his fake death would have been grounds for it.  They wouldn't make her claim it wasn't a real marriage.  It's just a crap story, but I'm still angry from when Ernesto yelled at Miguel last week and told him he was going to hell when clearly that was a venial sin.

• Love 2

If they are pretending Katy is from Argentina because they can't say where she's really from (Mexico), then I definitely think it's a cartel thing, and with Rosie being the new maid for Taylor it will sort itself out when they realize that Ernesto is now part of the cartel that supposedly killed him.

I now think Ernesto is at the bottom of whatever is going on with Katie. She was probably rescued from the drug smuggling ring Ernesto claims he was kidnapped by (but is probably in charge of). I bet she was a drug mule or something, and that's why he wanted to take Miguel back to Mexico as a replacement. Now Rosie is in the Stappord circle so it's all going to get connected.

I also considered the possibility that Jesse has something to do with Katie but I think it's more likely this guy is just supposed to be eye candy. He wasn't up for doing anything shady when Gail wanted him to plant the amputated hand in Evelyn's yard, and didn't try to "take advantage" of Marisol, who clearly wasn't even that drunk. (And she was right, Katie is creepy, no matter what the circumstances.)

Zoila should have kicked her lazy, car-stealing sister's ass out of Genevieve's house the second she showed up, even before she found out she slept with Pablo. What a sap.

• Love 5

Am I the only one who thinks Judy Reyes and Justina Machado actually look like they could be related? Something about their strong ethnic features... very good casting there! Also, whenever I hear Justina Machado, my mind always goes to that slutty Miss Universe 1996 Alicia Machado from Venezuela! XD

• Love 1

Ernesto might be lying about his whereabouts but I don't think he killed Louie Becker.

I love that they keep casting actors from Desperate housewives. Justina Machado was perfection in her role there.

I think I missed a scene - why do we know something is going on with Ernesto?

We don't for sure, I'm just spit-ballin'. But I think his "story" about being kidnapped by the drug cartel smells fishy. And showing up and asking to take Miguel back to Mexico with him is fishy too. 

I'm not real clear on who are live-ins. Carmen must be. Zoila used to live with her family, does she live with Genevieve now? If not, why isn't her sister staying at her house? There hasn't been any mention of her selling it.

• Love 1

I am not clear on how old Jesse is supposed to be and why he is working as a maid. I got something about PTSD, but did they ever say anything else about his background? I am also looking for "the story" on him.  Gosh, he would have made a good match for Zoila's daughter...and then Remy could still be on the show. I think Remy could have been made interesting if they had taken him away from her. Why am I blanking on her name? It hasn't been that long! 

I am tired of Zoila and her issues...ditto with Carmen.  Could not be less interested in the "mystery" of the season. Is it a requirement on this show to have young black men working in a service profession?  I mean, why is Jesse different than Carmen's former boyfriend? 

I am also confused about Ernesto...and Spence is ust as boring as his wife.

• Love 1
(edited)

I haven't seen Justina Machado since SFU and she doesn't look a day older to me. 

Could not be less interested in the "mystery" of the season. Is it a requirement on this show to have young black men working in a service profession?  I mean, why is Jesse different than Carmen's former boyfriend? 

The mystery is really boring and doesn't seem central to any of the plots.  Actually, the entire season is boring, except for any scene with Adrian and/or Evelyn.  I might have called it retconning to see Evelyn both kiss a maid and hug a child in the same episode when we know she eats them for light snacks, but I suppose at least some of it made sense.  But Evelyn doesn't work well as a character when she begins to be mostly human.

It's probably no more a requirement to have young black men in service professions than to have young Latina women in service professions, but my goodness, both Marisol's new maid and Carmen's old BF were very, very pretty.  I think the requirement is to have gorgeous male models.  Speaking of Carmen's old BF, I miss not only him but Carmen's sparring partner whose name I can't recall, the Russian woman with one leg.

Edited by cattykit

Well, the show is about maids, and the emphasis was placed on Latina maids from the outset.  We had the successful Latina pop star, several rich white males, but the only black people that have been on the show was Carmen's boyfriend that she constantly berated for his lack of ambition, now Jesse who also appears to have no assets, and Mr. Reggie, who was a con artist, and his uncle who was not smart enough to protect his money. Wasn't his wife a former stripper and his daughter had no career? I can't even remember what happened with that storyline.  Just an observation...nothing I'm really concerned about.  I also miss Carmen's former co worker and think it was a mistake to kill of her boss. I also can't remember their names!  I didn't know if the actor wanted out or if it was a creative decision. It was especially a poor one when the payoff was to further the stupid storyline of the crazy nephew and the merry band of burglars.  Remy has been the only man other than Jesse that has been on the show that I would classify as attractive, and he is going to school to be a doctor....and is rich. Even Zoila's boyfriend owned restaurants. 

The guy that plays Ernesto did not do it for me on In Plain Sight, and the other one, Carmen's new boyfriend, is also not exceptionally attractive.  Grant Show is long past his pretty boy days. 

I missed Evelyn's interaction with the little girl....what happened? 

Jesse is a military veteran so he is hardly being portrayed as some bum off the street.  He is being shown as someone who wants to work hard, so I see nothing wrong with the character.  He comes across better than bratty, druggie turned doctor wanna be Remy.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm now starting to just fast forward through all of Rosie's scenes.  I prefer Jesse to Ernesto so I'm hoping he's a good guy and not at all related to the horrible Katie SL. It's just horrible, just not interesting. Is part of it the child actor? I don't understand what we're supposed to be getting from her. She doesn't seem scared or traumatized just bratty and weird. I didn't used to be so annoyed with Zoila before but she needs Genevieve to make her interesting. As long as Valentina stays on the phone and doesn't show up in person I'm happy with her.

I agree with others that Carmen needs Odessa (thanks Slider) back in her life or at least someone like her, that was the last time she was interesting.

More Evelyn is always a good thing.

Edited by jah1986

Catrice, Katie "ran away" to Evelyn's house when her father yelled at her. Evelyn found her on the front steps, sat with her and comforted her. Apparently this reawakened Evelyn's desire to adopt a child.

(edited)

I'm now starting to just fast forward through all of Rosie's scenes.  

^This. I thought I would quit hating her if she would stop saying "Meeeester Spence", but no. However, I am captivated by Evelyn.

Edited by Syd
  • Love 1

Jesse better not be tied into the mystery/Katie thing.  Marisol deserves a break! Season 1 was her son being falsely accused. Season 2 her fiance' was the mystery.  Not her new maid/love interest too.

(edited)

I just loved when the doctor was inquiring Adrian about how he'd gotten his wounds and he said "I prefer not to" and Evelyn, figuring out what he'd been up to, said "You son of a bitch, I could wring your neck!". Ahahahahahah the delivery, coupled with her slamming her fist on the bed, was just perfect! It was sheer exasperation! XD

Edited by Giuliano Lanzilli
  • Love 1

It's just horrible, just not interesting. Is part of it the child actor? I don't understand what we're supposed to be getting from her. She doesn't seem scared or traumatized just bratty and weird.

She kind of looks like the same kid who played Eva Longoria's youngest daughter, Celia, on Desperate Housewives, but a quick Google search says no. I'm not sure what we're supposed to be getting from her either. Can't tell if she's being told to play it cold and emotionless or if she just can't act. Maybe she was hired because she's related to someone.

• Love 1

She kind of looks like the same kid who played Eva Longoria's youngest daughter, Celia, on Desperate Housewives, but a quick Google search says no. I'm not sure what we're supposed to be getting from her either. Can't tell if she's being told to play it cold and emotionless or if she just can't act. Maybe she was hired because she's related to someone.

If 35-y.o. Dania Ramirez is being told to speak in that godawful baby voice I don't see why this CHILD (with obviously little to no acting experience behind her) couldn't be told to play it emotionless! I wouldn't fault her for it.

Am I the only one who thinks Judy Reyes and Justina Machado actually look like they could be related? Something about their strong ethnic features... very good casting there! 

I agree! From this week's Soap Opera Digest:

"[Zoila and Reina] look like they were separated at birth. Wait until you see them together. It's unbelievable." -- DM Executive Producer Sabrina Wind

The guy that plays Ernesto did not do it for me on In Plain Sight, and the other one, Carmen's new boyfriend, is also not exceptionally attractive. 

They each danced with Cheryl Burke on DWTS, and Gilles Marini was mighty, mighty hot...check out his Argentine tango.

^This. I thought I would quit hating her if she would stop saying "Meeeester Spence", but no.

This begs my question, I'm not familiar with this actress, please tell me that isn't her normal speaking voice?

(edited)

Well, Dania Ramirez was on the disastrous second season of Heroes, and while she didn't speak quite the way she does here, she was easily the most hated character on that show, and even more annoying than she is here somehow. The effect she seemed to be going for on Heroes was "Miserable downer" where as here she seems to be going for "humorously naive." Either way she's just annoying.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3

Well, Dania Ramirez was on the disastrous second season of Heroes, and while she didn't speak quite the way she does here, she was easily the most hated character on that show, and even more annoying than she is here somehow. The effect she seemed to be going for on Heroes was "Miserable downer" where as here she seems to be going for "humorously naive." Either way she's just annoying.

Oh crap! was she the horribly annoying, perpetually-seeming crying twin (Maya?) from Mexico with the weird eye thing of powers I cannot recall?  (Seriously can't be bothered to IMDb this shit). If so, her real life power is creating preternaturally irritating characters. 

This begs my question, I'm not familiar with this actress, please tell me that isn't her normal speaking voice?

Based on her performance on Entourage, not even close.  I want to know whose idea it was to make her sound like she's six, hers or TPTB.  I get that Rosie is supposed to be innocent and sheltered, but that doesn't mean she has to sound like a moron.

• Love 1
Marisol struggles with Jesse being both her boyfriend and her employee. Zoila concocts a scheme to get her annoying sister to end her visit. Evelyn pursues her dream of adopting a child. Carmen’s singing career finally gains traction. Rosie is suspicious of the Stappord’s story about Katy.

Oh crap! was she the horribly annoying, perpetually-seeming crying twin (Maya?) from Mexico with the weird eye thing of powers I cannot recall?

Yup, that was her, the one who cried black ooze and made people die. 

I thought it was ill-advised to open up the can of worms where Carmen labeled each of the characters.  Who among us didn't join in that game?  I settled on:

--whiny and naïve

--intellectual

--self-centered and superficial

--common sense

And who decided to write Carmen having a moral dilemma over signing a big recording contract with her boyfriend's wife?  Her whole backstory says she'd be more likely to shove him into ongoing traffic in her rush towards that contract.

There must be an oil painting in some attic of Rebecca Wisocky growing older.  She was luminous in the black and white dress.

• Love 1
(edited)

Shallow question: did that naked man in Genvieve's den REALLY have to act naked or was he just wearing a pair of flesh-coloured pants? Because they shot him from different angles and he did look pretty naked to me! I only ask because I'm guessing that must've been super awkward for him, especially when Genvieve snatched the throw pillow from his hands... :S

Edited by Giuliano Lanzilli