Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Trip to Stabby Town

18 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

Amenadiel may be down with a plan to go home but if he finds out the plan involves hurting Lucifer (or Chloe given the previews) I think he's grown too much to be okay with that and all the potential consequences. Amenadiel and Chloe have yet to team up and I want that to change. 

I think Amenadiel going along with a plan to go home is in sync with how he has been portrayed in the first season. He was always reminding Lucifer that they didn't belong and that humanity couldn't know about divinity. But I agree that he would maybe not be okay if it means hurting someone. It probably depends on whether or not he learned a lesson from the last time he tried to kill someone to bring them back to Hell...

14 hours ago, gwhh said:

Would there not be a LOT of turmoil in the silver city.  Because one archangel is dead and the death sword is missing??

I actually wondered why Lucifer isn't simply summoning Azrael and return the dagger to her. Are we supposed to believe she's dead, too? Otherwise, wouldn't she be looking for the dagger?

16 hours ago, seveneightnine said:

Definitely curious about what nonsense Mom is up to. She is a very sketchy lady. What was the deal with the sword when Luci got angry? It seemed to burn or smoke, right? And Mom took that as a 'good' sign... She appeared to be satisfied.

Well, when it happened in the scene between Lucifer and Dan, Lucifer realized that Dan was fighting the dagger.

12 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

It occurs to me that all the angels' names end in -el. It just can't be a coincidence that Ella begins with the letters.

I already deleted the message so I don't remember exactly what it said but someone from Israel explained to me that "el" is a very common ending for Israeli names because "el" means, I think, God. Or God-given. Something like that. That's why you find so many traditional Israeli/biblical names ending with "el" - Gabriel, Michael, Ariel, Nathaniel, Daniel etc.

2 hours ago, storyskip said:

Speculation only!!!  But!

Mom's play may be to get "Dad's" attention, force Dad to come in close and then, having turned Lucifer and Amenadiel, the two highest ranking angels against him, set one of her sons up to kill Dad.

That is a very interesting theory. One I could prescribe to. I wonder if she wants to use Lucifer to do it. Lucifer still has so much anger in him. Maybe when she saw the dagger smoke, she realized that he was fighting it. Since Lucifer was fighting with her, maybe she realized he has enough anger in him that if pushed hard enough, he may to the unthinkable.

Another thought that I had was that maybe she wants to make the people around him realize that he's a monster. He told her that the only place her ever felt respected was on earth, so if she turned the people he cares about against him, he may feel abandoned and will turn towards her and return home with everyone (even if home means somewhere else for him).

I've been wondering, actually, who's patrolling the gates of Hell. Lucifer is gone, Amenadiel is gone. Does that mean that Hell is unattended? What about all those souls? Are the roaming free? If so, why aren't there more souls who have escaped?

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 3

That makes so much sense Storyskip. I hope it turns out to be true because that would be fascinating to watch play out. Plus, it would mean Lucy, and Amen, would totally need more therapy which means more sessions with Dr. Linda, Celestial Shrink!

If Amen needs a hug after realizing he is helping in a plot to kill Daddy, I am available....any time. Really, absolutely any time. Just show up Amen, if you want to bring your hot younger brother Lucy, well, the more the merrier I say.

:)

• Love 2

The sexual innuendos (and blatant references) abounded in this one, didn't they?  I missed the hand job (where did that occur?), but "Good ideas come in the shower" "In my case, it's women."; "glory holes"; "Kama Sutra"; "reverse cowgirl".. just wow.

So there were 9 souls that were extinguished in this episode, right?  The first woman, Parking-Space Dude, 6 yoga people and Mr "Glory".  Dad might not notice his "toys" dying (since they do that a lot) but he should notice 9 souls going **poof**.

• Love 1

All the focus on the blade makes me wonder when Azrael is going to notice that it's missing and when she's going to come get it.

I hope she does show up at some point. All of the angels we've met so far are male and I would love to see the show's take on a female angel.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, jhlipton said:

The sexual innuendos (and blatant references) abounded in this one, didn't they?  I missed the hand job (where did that occur?), but "Good ideas come in the shower" "In my case, it's women."; "glory holes"; "Kama Sutra"; "reverse cowgirl".. just wow.

So there were 9 souls that were extinguished in this episode, right?  The first woman, Parking-Space Dude, 6 yoga people and Mr "Glory".  Dad might not notice his "toys" dying (since they do that a lot) but he should notice 9 souls going **poof**.

I'd have to rewatch to be sure, but I thought Lucifer said something about the sword killing mortals but extinguishing celestial beings' souls.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, wilnil said:

I'd have to rewatch to be sure, but I thought Lucifer said something about the sword killing mortals but extinguishing celestial beings' souls.

You're right -- thanks for reminding me.

The only thing that's bugging me this season is that Lucifer doesn't seem to give a shit about Amenadiel. I'm beginning to wonder -- does he understand that Amenadiel has lost his wings? He hasn't shown any concern for Amenadiel's obvious depression and malaise. Is Charlotte the only one who understands the full situation? Because I've loved Lucifer and Amenadiel's sibling relationship in the previous season, I thought they had great brother chemistry and were equally matched when it comes to sibling snark. Or have I missed something and Lucifer knows about Amenadiel's existential crisis but simply couldn't care less?

• Love 2
On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Mabinogia said:

As a Pop Tart connoisseur, I fully support Maze in her decision to steal a bunch from that idiot guru guy.

Between the Pop-Tarts and the pudding there's been an awful lot of food theft going on.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, rubyred said:

The only thing that's bugging me this season is that Lucifer doesn't seem to give a shit about Amenadiel. I'm beginning to wonder -- does he understand that Amenadiel has lost his wings? He hasn't shown any concern for Amenadiel's obvious depression and malaise. Is Charlotte the only one who understands the full situation? Because I've loved Lucifer and Amenadiel's sibling relationship in the previous season, I thought they had great brother chemistry and were equally matched when it comes to sibling snark. Or have I missed something and Lucifer knows about Amenadiel's existential crisis but simply couldn't care less?

I think that's simply a problem of when you add too many characters and stories then some aspects get forgotten. If they didn't have Mom, for example, they could use that time to include scenes between Lucifer and Amenadiel. That is why I'm generally not a fan of too many regulars. I don't mind how they're doing it, I just think they had enough characters and story material before they added Ella and Mom.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

Why was Luci afraid when Dan had the knife if he is stronger anyway?

Luci seems to have a healthy respect for what that knife means, in terms of "you're just gone".

But I think his reserve was the fact that he didn't want to have to seriously fight Dan.  Dan was under the influence of the knife, even though he was fighting it, which meant that if Lucifer escalated the confrontation to violence, Dan could have attacked to "kill" which would have backed Lucifer into the corner of having to significantly injure Dan in order to stop him.

Lucifer didn't want that, so he was trying to diffuse the situation by adopting a conciliatory posture and pose; both to Dan and the knife.

• Love 3

I missed the hand job (where did that occur?)

It was part of all the gesturing Ella was doing, as she reenacted the mass murder scene in the yoga studio. 

I'm so glad that Linda hasn't completely cracked up, but I'm also glad that she's still freaked out and trying to sort it all out, by asking all the questions. And I'm loving how layers just keep getting pulled back for her, the more she realizes the depth of it all and how she's connected and who she slept with, and if Lucifer said this random thing two months ago then that means this actually happened and it wasn't metaphor and oh my what the hell how do I compartmentalize all of this?? 

Under the influence of the knife, seeing Dan being most angry about his missing pudding made me crack up. And it makes sense, because that's the only thing he had no control over. The rest of his frustrations with Lucifer was his own doing. Or un-doing, as it were. I really liked seeing him realizing it was his own fault, taking responsibility for it and fighting the power of the knife.

Although... since he doesn't seem to remember what he did (after Lucifer got the knife from him), does that mean Dan doesn't remember taking responsibility for his own actions and the part that's his fault (for the mess of his career and the breakup of his marriage)? 

Then again, deep down he must already realize that; otherwise would he have been able to see so rationally and fight the knife when Lucifer pointed it out that most of those issues started before Lucifer even came to town?

I don't like the mom, but at least now we're getting somewhere. She's up to no good, she hates humanity, she's disgusted with Lucifer for caring about any of us humans, and now she seems to have a wicked plan that involves using her own sons. Yikes. I'm getting really nervous for Lucifer. (Aw, I have sympathy for the devil! Ba dum bump... sorry, sorry, sorry!)

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:04 AM, jhlipton said:

So the super knife totally destroyes the sould of anything it happens.  What the purpose of the knife to destroy sould?  It is the ultimate white out??

Why would God need to completely destroy a soul and wipe it out from existence??  Has he had to do that before??

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:04 AM, emma675 said:

Azrael

Maybe she has more than one blade, or does not use it much?  So she not notice it missing yet. 

Edited by gwhh
On 11/16/2016 at 2:14 AM, CheshireCat said:
On 11/15/2016 at 2:05 PM, Good Queen Jane said:

It occurs to me that all the angels' names end in -el. It just can't be a coincidence that Ella begins with the letters.

I already deleted the message so I don't remember exactly what it said but someone from Israel explained to me that "el" is a very common ending for Israeli names because "el" means, I think, God. Or God-given. Something like that. That's why you find so many traditional Israeli/biblical names ending with "el" - Gabriel, Michael, Ariel, Nathaniel, Daniel etc.

I tell you she working for team dad!  

I think there should be a spinoff with mom and her "new human" family and what going on over there! 

Love it when yoga guru guy. Said he was going to confess and could not take it anymore.  And burst out of his corset in the interview room.  LBJ wore a corset.  

Edited by gwhh

Okay this is going to sound super-lame, but...who IS Mom? Not her "earth" name, her divine name? Have we heard it? Because "Father" is "God", right? Who did God hook up with to create Lucifer, Azrael, Uriel, Amanadiel, etc.? Is she an invention of the writers or is there a piece of judeo-christian mythology I'm completely unaware of? God is God, he creates. He doesn't need a "womb," for lack of a better word.

Maybe this is addressed in the original comic?

• Love 1

I rally like the show and how the writers each of the characters.  It could be very easy to paint Dan as a total idiot or angry ex.  Instead he gets to have layers.  Lucifer gets to see the strength in him.  That the writers are willing to make Dan layered speaks well of their writing ability and keeps the show from becoming a cartoon.  Dan is a foil to Lucifer.  

i love dr Linda and she has some of the same questions I do re Hilter,  Idi Amin.  But I wsh we could have seen how she shifted back to being his therapist.  

I like Elle and like that the sun shined very brightly when she found the letter.   Again it felt like god was subtly working.  Someone in another thread said elle could be trixie sister or future self.  I was thinking that Elle is like Trixie.  They both tend to be overly touchy freely with Lucifer.  I liked her forcing Lucifer to go to church.  It would have been nice to see how he reacted to mass.

i liked Amendiel and Maze teaming up.  It will be Maze that will keep Amendiel from falling for his mom.  Mom Is getting interesting.  I still don't like her but I see potential in the storyline.  I wonder what wa sup with the blade and Lucifer at the end.

amendiel seems lost.  I think this prorbably the first time in his life he doesn't have certainty of purpose and is suspectible to his mom.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, rubyred said:

Okay this is going to sound super-lame, but...who IS Mom? Not her "earth" name, her divine name? Have we heard it? Because "Father" is "God", right? Who did God hook up with to create Lucifer, Azrael, Uriel, Amanadiel, etc.? Is she an invention of the writers or is there a piece of judeo-christian mythology I'm completely unaware of? God is God, he creates. He doesn't need a "womb," for lack of a better word.

This is not the God of Abraham, nor the Bible.  It's an alternate universe from a novel and comic book series, if I have read about it all properly.

Whatever the writers need any "celestial" to be, it shall be that.

Your observations are, in no way, lame.  It's all a matter of suspension of disbelief, or perhaps, an acceptance and belief of whatever the show chooses to present in any given ep.  

• Love 5

I think "everyday Dan" does take responsibility for the mess his career and marriage are in.  It was the knife that made him blame Licifer.

Some versions of the Jewish God have a feminine aspect distinct from the usual masculine one.  That may be where they hit "Mom" from.  It's a bit of role-reversal that the masculine aspect is the creator and nurturer and the feminine aspect is the destroyer.

• Love 4

Thanks, Lonesome. You're so right about suspension of disbelief - I had never heard of an Angel Amenadiel but had no problem rolling with it because I enjoyed the character. Knowing that I shouldn't necessarily draw parallels to the God of the bible totally answers my question (and opens my fictional worldview). And jhlipton, yes, I remember that about the Jewish God. And then started wondering...is this really "Mother", or "Father" in disguise testing his sons?

• Love 1
On 11/14/2016 at 10:29 PM, storyskip said:

The ultimate survivor was the second yoga partner, who then turned on the yoga guru who had actually molested/raped her.  Which was why Lucifer protected her at the final crime scene.

But in order not to be charged with his murder, she will have to say that he was trying to attack her now. The fact that he raped her many years ago does not give her the right to stab him now. And, she was at his home, which looks like premeditation.  Her only realistic chance to not be arrested would be to say nothing, since the weapon had miraculously disappeared.  Otherwise, I think she's in big trouble.

On 11/16/2016 at 10:04 AM, jhlipton said:

So there were 9 souls that were extinguished in this episode, right?  The first woman, Parking-Space Dude, 6 yoga people and Mr "Glory".

I think only 5 yoga people died. The sixth mat belonged to the instructor/partner who killed her rapist, Mr. Glory.

2 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

But in order not to be charged with his murder, she will have to say that he was trying to attack her now

Lucifer claimed exactly that at the scene. They'd both have to file false statements on the record, but the show set it up with that lie as soon as the cops walked in. Given the way the show-logic works, I see no reason to expect we're supposed to assume this will come back to bite them. That was their handwaving, and until shown otherwise, I take it the show wants us to run with it.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, theatremouse said:
18 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

But in order not to be charged with his murder, she will have to say that he was trying to attack her now

Lucifer claimed exactly that at the scene. They'd both have to file false statements on the record, but the show set it up with that lie as soon as the cops walked in. Given the way the show-logic works, I see no reason to expect we're supposed to assume this will come back to bite them. That was their handwaving, and until shown otherwise, I take it the show wants us to run with it.

I get what you are saying, but since the wounds on the body will match the wounds on those stabbed in the yoga studio, that indicates the the stabber brought a weapon to the home of the stabbee, which contradicts her self-defense story.  If the weapon were still in the body, I doubt that her story would fly. And unless Lucifer is going to claim that he witnessed the attempted rape, and the subsequent stabbing, his statement is meaningless, since he wasn't there.  It just bothers me that the police would hand-wave this killing, although I get that the show doesn't want an innocent to go to jail due to being forced to kill by Azrael's blade. If the show weren't going for a relatively "light" theme (despite the death of 7 innocent victims), Mom's interference would be more meaningful if the last stabber had to serve a lengthy, undeserved prison sentence.  As Mom claimed, all humans eventually die, but they don't all languish unfairly in prison.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
15 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think only 5 yoga people died. The sixth mat belonged to the instructor/partner who killed her rapist, Mr. Glory.

I think there were 7 mats, but I erased it off my DVR so I can't check.

10 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

And unless Lucifer is going to claim that he witnessed the attempted rape, and the subsequent stabbing, his statement is meaningless, since he wasn't there.

My point was, he already did claim this. And sort of implied that dead-instructor did kill the class, fled, she was there, being attacked by him, somehow got the blade and then killed him, ie she did not go there with the weapon. It's not air-tight, for sure, but the blade is gone now. I'm not arguing the plot makes sense in general, just that the show is presenting it as if it's sufficient explanation. Much like how this show doesn't seem to think the concept of "conflict of interest" exists. There are many things about the policework on the show that make zero real world sense but in-universe are presented as totally fine, and not indications of things to come. They may or may not also be leaning on the implication that Lucifer has power-of-persuasion mojo going on and the cops just sort of foggily accept things he says and don't even notice they're not thinking critically about it. The show can (and in my opinion does) handwave boatloads of plotholes with that device.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 2:22 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

So what was the significance of the blade catching fire when Lucifer got mad, and Mom's noticing it?  Recognizing he has a lot of power - even without wings - and will want to trick him to do her bidding later??

I took it that Lucifer has enough humanity in him now for the blade to manifest itself like that. It seems that it had no power over celestial beings, they were holding it and had no urge to kill over missing pudding

I REALLY didn't like that elevator scene with Mom and Amenadude. This type of things always leave me feeling uneasy. But this show has avoided some other tropes I hate, even when heavily alluding to them, so there's hope.

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

Another point towards Lucifer's humanity. He didn't just protect a woman who was under the influence of the blade, he didn't reveal the past trauma. That's what a concerned human being would do: let her talk about it if she wants to.

I loved Dr. Linda's "coping mechanism". I probably would have gone there too after getting over the initial shock of having been conversing (term used VERY loosely lol) with the Devil lol I would have also asked about Dante's version haha I bet Luci would have had some words for that.

I wish we had seen Lucifer in church. Would gargouilles have reacted?  (were there any?) what did he think of the rituals and sermon?

On 11/15/2016 at 1:05 PM, Zipper said:

Ellis is awesome.  Was is just me, or did he look hotter than usual in this one?  There were a few scenes, where I was sort of taken aback at how good looking he was.

I think he reached peak hotness in the episode where Lucifer destroyed Uriel. Disheveled and upset is a good look on Ellis.

On 11/19/2016 at 0:30 PM, rubyred said:

If I remember correctly, in early forms of Judiasm before monotheism really kicked in, Yahweh had a consort named Asherah, who corresponded to the Queen of Heaven figure of Sumerian mythology.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

If I remember correctly, in early forms of Judiasm before monotheism really kicked in, Yahweh had a consort named Asherah, who corresponded to the Queen of Heaven figure of Sumerian mythology.

Yes, this is who I guessed she was too. I doubt we'll be given a name, though it would be cool if we did.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

I wish we had seen Lucifer in church. Would gargouilles have reacted?  (were there any?) what did he think of the rituals and sermon?

Lucifer entered a church in S1E9: A Priest Walks into a Bar -- didn't he? And nothing untoward happened, other than Lucifer starting to think about God's plan for him.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, dragonsbite said:

Lucifer entered a church in S1E9: A Priest Walks into a Bar -- didn't he? And nothing untoward happened, other than Lucifer starting to think about God's plan for him.

Yeah, you're right. I guess nothing happens when he walks in.

But I still would have liked to see his reaction to the mass, whichever way writers would have decided to have taken it. Or maybe so not to offend some of the audience, a remark about it all as he was leaving :)

Edited by vavera4ka
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I get what you are saying, but since the wounds on the body will match the wounds on those stabbed in the yoga studio, that indicates the the stabber brought a weapon to the home of the stabbee, which contradicts her self-defense story.  

But they also already established that the yoga class killed each other. So, the rape victim could just claim that she doesn't know how the murder weapon got to the house. It's a stretch but it's fiction ;-)

• Love 1

I know the show has its own heavenly mythology but it seems there are still certain things that follow our real world view of God, so I don't think Azriel's blade could be used to kill God. He is still the Creator, so He cannot be killed. Plus, He is certainly already well aware of what's transpiring with His kids, His ex-bae, and the blade. We know He hears them because of last season when Luci begged Him to save Chloe and He sent Luci back to Hell so he could see that Mum escaped. So everything that is happening, He already knows. But at the same time, I remember in one of the early episodes this season when Luci was talking about Mum, how she was responsible for the plagues and floods and all the Force Majeure that happened back in the day, so we also know God has allowed certain things to happen to His humans without His divine intervention. Instead He basically divorced Mum cuz she was bipolar, took full custody of the kids and sent Mum to an institution. But He didn't kill her.

I'm positive Dad already knows what's up. Maybe things are leading to a point where Mum has to truly put up or shut up about the kids, and Dad gives her the option of ruling Hell in Luci's place? Since she hates humans so much, seems like making them suffer for all eternity would be her niche. Win/win.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

But they also already established that the yoga class killed each other. So, the rape victim could just claim that she doesn't know how the murder weapon got to the house. It's a stretch but it's fiction ;-)

She was identified as the instructor of the class and the only survivor of the yoga massacre, so I don't think how the murder weapon got into her possession would be a big mystery.

2 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

I know the show has its own heavenly mythology but it seems there are still certain things that follow our real world view of God, so I don't think Azriel's blade could be used to kill God. He is still the Creator, so He cannot be killed.

But Lucifer's mother is responsible for creation too, and everyone certainly seemed to think the blade could destroy her. It's not really clear whether Yahweh is truly the uncontested supreme being, or if he just managed to get the advantage over her during their breakup and strip her of most of her power. She's certainly not acting as if his superiority is unassailable and her situation hopeless...

On 11/20/2016 at 8:36 AM, jhlipton said:

Some versions of the Jewish God have a feminine aspect distinct from the usual masculine one.  That may be where they hit "Mom" from.  It's a bit of role-reversal that the masculine aspect is the creator and nurturer and the feminine aspect is the destroyer.

Yeah, she's called the Shekinah, among other things. Translated by Catholics into the Holy Ghost, the Ruach, the spirit that moved upon the face of the waters. And Hinduism has Kali, who is both Creator goddess and Destroyer goddess at once.

Having grown up Catholic myself, I've always said that a Father God needs a Mother Goddess to stick his divine dick into, even metaphorically, if Creation is going to happen. 

But a brilliant episode indeed, for all the reasons y'all have mentioned.

I would not want to be in the immediate vicinity if Maze opens up those Pop-Tarts and finds out that they're of the unfrosted variety.

Hell hath no fury like a demon with inferior 'tarts.....

• Love 3
(edited)

In 2019 here, I’ve just finished a binge of this show over a few weeks.  (I saw John Campea absolutely raving about how Lucifer is the best character on television on his  YouTube channel and got intrigued.)

No spoilers in my post beyond this episode, but one thought that I had about this episode is that it contains a clever meta comment on the show itself.  Dr. Linda had insisted that Lucifer stop talking in metaphors a couple of episodes back, and now that she accepts he is not, she has all these practical questions about Hitler and her bad uncle, etc.  But Lucifer declines really to provide any specifics because the show itself is just a metaphor for exploring redemption and forgiveness and what that looks like.  The “practicalities” of Hell’s operations don’t matter.

Also, I’m madly in love with this show now.  It has a highly patriarchal, Western tradition view of Heaven and Hell, but it’s a tidy shorthand for exploring the redemption metaphor.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 2