Type keyword(s) to search

American Woman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

This show is bad, bad bad!

Two positives I can find:

1)  I think Alicia has aged very well.  She looks great.  In part, I'm sure, due to her vegan lifestyle.  I saw her recently in person sans makeup and she has perfect, glowing skin.  Ofc, she arrived late to the yoga class after the instructor locked the door and the class had started, kind of ruining the flow for everyone.

2)  For anyone who watches RHOBH, this idiot show takes me back to Kyle's ridiculous, OTP laugh at some non-funny joke on the show during her viewing party.  She was the only one who laughed, and it was such a stupid and loud laugh, that it makes me laugh.

ETA:  Love the 70s scenery and fashion as well, but I think Mad Men's level of excellence may have ruined all period shows for me.

Edited by PumpkinPK
  • Love 3
On 6/8/2018 at 8:50 AM, IgnoranceisBLISS said:

I guess I am in the minority with you! I love the setting and to look at all of the clothes from back in the day. The acting wasn't the best but I will definitely stick around, 

Haha, that's why I decided to watch it too! 

• Love 5

I am still enjoying this show because I think it is hilariously bad.

I do appreciate all the attention to detail with the clothes, setting, cars, etc. That's probably why there are so many commercials -- staging/production must cost a fortune! (j/k.)

I wish that they'd dial back on the "'70s suffragette" message, though. We get it. We don't need to be hit between the eyes with a sledgehammer.

• Love 3
On 6/15/2018 at 5:37 PM, Gem 10 said:

First of all, out of 30 minutes of show,  there’s about 20 minutes of commercials.  

21 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

I am still enjoying this show because I think it is hilariously bad.

This makes me think of that Woody Allen movie.

“The food here is terrible.”

”And the portions are so small.”

• Love 2
On 6/16/2018 at 1:27 AM, MsTree said:

In several interviews Kyle has said that this show is "inspired by" her family and is in no way autobiographical.  She also admitted to writers taking creative license.

Right.  So why are Kyles two sisters mad?  I don’t see anything out of the ordinary so far.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Right.  So why are Kyles two sisters mad?  I don’t see anything out of the ordinary so far.

Probably because they didn't think of the idea first. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Oh man, this is such a blast from the past.

Edited to note that I liked it, although I didn't think it was brilliant or anything; it was enjoyable enough for 1/2 hour summer show.  I am a child of the seventies, so the nostalgia factor is big.  I had no idea it was based on Kyle Richards' life, but then I know almost nothing about her, only that she's Kim Richards' sister, so that aspect is neither here nor there for me.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
On ‎06‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, CharlizeCat said:

I wish that they'd dial back on the "'70s suffragette" message, though. We get it. We don't need to be hit between the eyes with a sledgehammer.

Judging by some of the "I'm not a feminist" crap coming from young celebrities who clearly understand nothing of what previous generations of women went through in order to make their lives so easy, I think some people do need to be hit over the head with the message.

• Love 10

I think I am going to continue watching this only because it is so magnificently bad.

The “jokes” reek of Kyle Richards. 

I wonder if Mauricio just handed John Wells and John Riggi buckets of money to convince them to executive produce this.

Almost every actor is making the most obvious acting choices.

The sex scene between Bonnie and the painter was straight out of a Harlequin romance.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I literally can't find this show on tv anymore.  I know its on Paramount but they must have changed the day and time.

It's still showing up for me on Thursday nights at 9 pm CST. My provider is AT&T, UVerse. Hope you can track it down. 

10 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I literally can't find this show on tv anymore.  I know its on Paramount but they must have changed the day and time.

Are you able to google your cable provider and channel guide? That’s how I found it.

• Love 1

What the hell was that?  I saw a bathroom and a party scene, and then it was over.  Ridiculous!  You can’t get interested in a show when it ends in two minutes.  WTF?

11 hours ago, HahYallDoin said:

It's still showing up for me on Thursday nights at 9 pm CST. My provider is AT&T, UVerse. Hope you can track it down. 

Showing here Long Island, N.Y.  Thursday 10 p.m.  A lousy half hour with five million commercials.

At least there was Kathryn LaNasa on this episode. Otherwise, it was terrible.  I couldn't even find anything to laugh about. The scene of stoned Diana on the rooftop was cringe worthy. 

Was the "rock band" sitting around doing coke a loosely veiled Fleetwood Mac? The female singer gave off a (badly done) Stevie Nicks vibe as well as the name of her famous song. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

What the hell was that?  I saw a bathroom and a party scene, and then it was over.  Ridiculous!  You can’t get interested in a show when it ends in two minutes.  WTF?

it really feels that way! this is the shortest 30 minute show in history. it needs to an hour long.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

At least there was Kathryn LaNasa on this episode. Otherwise, it was terrible.  I couldn't even find anything to laugh about. The scene of stoned Diana on the rooftop was cringe worthy. 

Was the "rock band" sitting around doing coke a loosely veiled Fleetwood Mac? The female singer gave off a (badly done) Stevie Nicks vibe as well as the name of her famous song. 

It feels as if they start with a really weak script and just film whatever the cast brings to it. There’s no director to try to improve such lame dialogue and storylines.

• Love 3
(edited)

It was like some bizarro combination of Stevie Nicks and Amy Sherman-Paladino (the woman who created Gilmore Girls and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Google her and look at her "style"). 

I really do feel like they have no clue what they are doing with this show.  The outfits and sets are great, but it's like we get five minutes of plot and that is the end of it. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 7
On 6/25/2018 at 7:53 PM, txhorns79 said:

It was like some bizarro combination of Stevie Nicks and Amy Sherman-Paladino (the woman who created Gilmore Girls and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Google her and look at her "style"). 

I really do feel like they have no clue what they are doing with this show.  The outfits and sets are great, but it's like we get five minutes of plot and that is the end of it. 

Ha! Ha!  Very good comparison.

• Love 2

Again, I feel like the show has no idea what it is trying to say.  Bonnie's storyline could be interesting, but the show treats her like she's a B-plot to the boredom that is Greg's storyline.  I don't care that's he's gay and struggling with it.  I can do without his terrible wig.

On the positive side, I really do like the actress who played Joan's mother on Mad Men, so it's nice to her, even if she's essentially playing the same character she played on that show. 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Again, I feel like the show has no idea what it is trying to say.  Bonnie's storyline could be interesting, but the show treats her like she's a B-plot to the boredom that is Greg's storyline.  I don't care that's he's gay and struggling with it.  I can do without his terrible wig.

On the positive side, I really do like the actress who played Joan's mother on Mad Men, so it's nice to her, even if she's essentially playing the same character she played on that show. 

Oh, thanks for sharing that. You’re right; she is playing the same character. She was probably the best thing about this episode.

• Love 2

I’m going to go out on a limb here...I want to like the show, I really do. I love the 70’s vibe, the set, the clothes.  I don’t hate on big Kathy (I thought I would) yet. My big complaint, as others have said, is that it needs to be an hour show. I just start to get into a character and poof... the show is over. Not to mention the kazillion commercials.

• Love 9

My big complaint, as others have said, is that it needs to be an hour show. I just start to get into a character and poof... the show is over. Not to mention the kazillion commercials.

I think you are right.  It's like there is barely 15 minutes of show and the rest is commercials.  The moment things start moving, the episode is over.  It stops the show's momentum, and I can imagine turns the audience off.   

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh goodness, it's not just young celebrities.  Drew Barrymore is famous for that shit.  Sarah Jessica Parker and Gwyneth Paltrow too.  Also I wouldn't call Susan Sarandon and Joni Mitchell "young".  

https://www.bustle.com/p/9-things-to-do-when-youre-single-not-dating-anyone-9663999

https://www.ranker.com/list/non-feminist-female-celebrities/matthewcoleweiss

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/17/feminist-celebrities_n_4460416.html

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
(edited)

I like the show ;)  I LOVE Alicia.  I get that her accent is kinda weird here... but.  No matter.  I LOVE her.  She gave my FAVOURITE acting performance of all time (in Clueless, obviously.)  It's one of the few 70's themed things I've enjoyed in my life. LOL.  I've never really gotten into the 70s yet.  But I'm enjoying the hell out of this one.  I'm just happy Alicia even got this opportunity.  Now people who adore her are at the age where we can making casting decisions......  She was done so wrong by Hollywood around the Batgirl era so I'm really happy for her now.

The episodes are about 22 minutes, which is standard, but usually the standard time given to sitcoms!  This is not a sitcom, it's a dramedy as others have stated, and usually they're given around 40 minutes......

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I haven’t watched the season 5 sneak peek, but I did a side eye when I saw it offered. I mean, the episodes are so short, they’re all like sneak peeks to me. Lol ? 

• Love 2

I definitely wouldn't watch this show if it were on any other time of the year. It's ridiculous. There's maybe 15 minutes of content and the rest of the timeslot is commercials. The story isn't progressing anymore.

• Love 4
(edited)

I guess she still works at the department store (I think I saw her coworker in next week's preview, though I missed the bulk of it), though I don't know when, since she's having day sex with that gross artist dude--who she's planning to go to New York with--and is home cooking dinner for her kids at night.

And she's worried about paying the mortgage but buys a "personal massager"?

I wondered how Diana was able to just get up from her desk to go get a drink with Greg's(?) lover and they drank until nighttime! She'd been gone from her desk all day!

What even is reality on this show?

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

I think I would enjoy this more if Silverstone’s delivery seemed more natural and not so stilted (or something).

Yeah, her voice and mannerisms are really unnatural. I don't remember being put-off by Megan Mullally's weird vocal stylings  as Karen on Will and Grace or Alyson Hannigan's Willow-voice on BtVS  or the gargling-with-glass voice that Fiona Dourif did as Bart on Dirk Gently, but Silverstone talks like she's got a broomstick up her butt on this show and it's just really annoying me. 

• Love 7

To me,  Alicia Silverstone is delivering her lines like she's trying to come across as some grande dame, which she is way too young for.  That said, she is made to play a 70's-era woman.  She looks beautiful in the hair and make-up.

So Kyle Richards based this show on her mom,  and it's all about her random hookups and sexual awakening?  That's...normal...I think I'm starting to understand why her sisters are reportedly not very happy about it.

• Love 9

I'm catching up with these eps, so apologies if this is way behind, but was that a contemporary song when Bonnie kissed the painter for the first time? I know a lot of '70s songs and that wasn't anything I had ever heard (nor '70s style). Took me right out of the scene. Bizarre choice.

And she's worried about paying the mortgage but buys a "personal massager"?

Just so I'm clear, Bonnie complained to her friends that she was worried about paying the mortgage and their solution to her problem was for her to masturbate?  I mean, I know this is the 70s, but I'm pretty sure your mortgage company doesn't accept that as payment.  

Also, I really liked that pencil sharpener that Mena Survari had on her desk in her office.  

• Love 9
On 7/13/2018 at 6:53 PM, Gem 10 said:

And here I thought her vibrator was a mini fire extinguisher.  It looked kind of big for what she was using it for.  Lol.

That "personal massager", the Hitachi Magic Wand, has been a best seller for decades. It was featured on Sex & the City.

• Love 1
(edited)

I kind of just want to watch a show about Diana. She is actually a really interesting character and the actress who plays her is really natural and likable. 

Really, all the actors are doing fine...except for Silverstone, and that sucks, because I've always had a soft spot for her, but she just sounds so stilted and weird. I dont know why. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 11
On 7/14/2018 at 11:12 PM, bilgistic said:

That "personal massager", the Hitachi Magic Wand, has been a best seller for decades. It was featured on Sex & the City.

Oh .. o.k.  I have a fear if I die, my kids would find that and think “ what the hell”, or better yet, the husband.  LMAO.

• Love 1

this show is ridiculously short. what is it, 10 minutes without commercials. love the look of it. ms. silverstone is not the best of actresses. don't like kylie richards so couldn't care less if this is a hit or not. it could be a decent show it the writing were better and it needs to be an hour. 

• Love 2

I think I'm done. This is the slowest-moving half hour of TV I've ever watched. I just watched various people sit by a pool while being racist, ring up a (racist) customer at a department store, talk to a boss about a promotion (again), drink in a bar then go home and have sex. Nothing is propelling the story forward. This is a reality TV script. Ironic.

I suppose the show is trying to make a statement: People Were Racist in the 1970s but Look How Things Have Changed Now. Not so much, Kyle Richards. Not so much.

• Love 7

Alicia is over annunciating her words, which I think is supposed to portray that the character is well-bred in some way, or proper. But it is very jarring, and I agree, coming off as unnatural.

• Love 6