Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Good Samaritan

• Start Topic

Easter Eggs ahoy! Peggy Carter, Isodyne, Roxxon, Dark Matter ("Who names this stuff?") and last, but certainly not least, one Johnny Blaze.

So Eli was the big bad after all. Joseph Bauer put the hit on him to try and stop him, not to shut him up.

• Love 7

Johnny Blaze!  Seeing the original Ghost Rider cameo was pretty awesome.

This was a pretty awesome episode too.  A lot going on.  Enjoyed Rider vs Mace.  I'm glad they revealed that Eli was evil, which is truer to the All-New Ghost Rider comic.  Although TV Eli isn't even 10% as insane and depraved as his comic book counterpart.

Speaking of Mace, the part with him coming down the ramp with all the steam hissing was very Darth Vader-like.

Did enjoy the Agent Carter Season 2 tie-in.  Only disappointed that the show won't be back for four weeks.  Bah!

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

I love Robbie and Ghost Rider. He has got to get his own series so I don't have to endure this show. The actor and character are both stellar. I loved the back story and the Challenger. I was right that Robbie barely has control over the vengeful spirit that possesses him. Only Gabe can breakthrough when he is possessed. Also, the actor who plays Gabe is so much better on this show compared to when he was on Fear the Walking Dead. It is the writing.

I wonder what kind of inhuman the new director is because he held his own against Ghost Rider for a while there. I like him despite the fact that he is a hard ass.

It was also fun to see the mention of Peggy Carter and Isodyne. Lincoln cracked me up when he asked who came up with these names, an evil focus group. Ha.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

Distracted again. Missed the Johnny Blaze mention. Also, I'm annoyed that the show is taking most of November off. I understand next week, because nothing that happens on this show will be as surreal as real life. But four weeks? At least we won't have an immediate epilogue to Doctor Strange. How funny would it be if the first scene on the 29th is the gang gathered in an office? "Boy, that escalated quickly." "Yeah. There was fire and ghosts, and then this guy with sweet facial hair solved everything."

• Love 4

Oh, Uncle Eli!  I should have known you would end up being the true villain of this arc.  Jose Zuniga was kind of being wasted as the kindly uncle, so it makes sense that he is the big baddie instead.  I can only imagine what he is going to do with those powers.  And it look like Coulson, Fitz, and Robbie were all caught by whatever that wave was, so I'm sure that is going to be bad for someone.

The Ghost Rider origin story was about what I expected, but I enjoyed it, and thought Gabriel Luna did a good job with all of it.  I know they're likely going to pretend the movies never exist, but I was kind of hoping for a surprise cameo by Peter Fonda as the Devil.

Missed the Johnny Blaze reference, but I loved the mention of Peggy Carter and all the craziness that went down in season two of Agent Carter.  I still miss that show!  Conviction is a solid Hayley Atwell fix, but it just isn't the same!

Hopefully Simmons won't be mysteriously off screen for too long on this secret mission of Mace's.  Don't take away my Elizabeth Henstridge, show!

Going on a bit of a break, I see.  I wonder how they'll reference Doctor Strange in their return episode.

• Love 3

Well unfortunately for us, next Tuesday is the election, that David Blaine special is the next week and I am guessing that the week of Thanksgiving there will some special or something . I hate all of the breaks too. I thought this was a cool episode, I really , really wish we could keep the Ghost Rider. Loved the Peggy Carter tie ins. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I know they're likely going to pretend the movies never exist, but I was kind of hoping for a surprise cameo by Peter Fonda as the Devil.

Missed the Johnny Blaze reference, but I loved the mention of Peggy Carter and all the craziness that went down in season two of Agent Carter.  I still miss that show!  Conviction is a solid Hayley Atwell fix, but it just isn't the same!

They didn't name drop Johnny Blaze we just saw another Ghost Rider on a chopper so we filled in the blanks and declared that it while Robbie was saying the devil we saw the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider

• Love 1
10 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I wonder what kind of inhuman the new director is because he held his own against Ghost Rider for a while there. I like him despite the fact that he is a hard ass.

Going from, the Senator sitting down with him and Simmons instantly recognizing Aida and her talk on micro expressions last week I am sticking with my prediction that Director Mace is not an Inhuman, but being Inhuman is a cover story for whatever he is. So far he has just shown super strength and the ability to absorb damage sort of like Luke Cage. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Raja said:

Going from, the Senator sitting down with him and Simmons instantly recognizing Aida and her talk on micro expressions last week I am sticking with my prediction that Director Mace is not an Inhuman, but being Inhuman is a cover story for whatever he is. So far he has just shown super strength and the ability to absorb damage sort of like Luke Cage. 

My old theory on Reddit was that Mace is really the first Human Torch- a.k.a. Jim Hammon, and is using the idea that he is an Inhuman, Jeffrey Mace as a cover story. Part of me also thinks that he has at least worked with Fury in the past as well. So, he does knows how to handle blackmailers but since he isn't evil/program to kill humans, he hasn't really killed them yet. As with his secret, part of me wonders what the hell Simmons can piece together from just watching the man and hearing him talk about Vienna. That and I wonder what kind of crap is going to happen to her for doing something like blackmailing her very own boss. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 3

I enjoyed it.  I liked seeing the Ghost Rider origin and I'm glad they gave us a cameo of the original Ghost Rider.  I grew up with old school comics and remember walking to the 7-11 after school to buy comics from the revolving wire rack.  When I heard Ghost Rider was coming to this show I was excited and then quickly realised I had no idea who this person was.  So it was nice to see the origin story.

If Eli was the big bad all along, why did Robbie poof the Ghost Lady?  Sounds like she was mostly innocent, and just trying to restore her life.

I have to wonder, did the show spend all of its special effects budget on Ghost Rider, and that's why Daisy is supposedly on "injured reserve" and can't use her powers?

• Love 2

Pretty good night. I too am going to be in pain until the show returns at the end of the month. 

I had a hard time understand where May was when she was skypeing with the team then met them at the power plant. It struck me odd the big deal that was made of Coulson giving her the Darkhold for safe keeping. *sigh* I miss captions.

Poor Gabe. I *almost* could stand the little Henrie. His glee at learning Robbie was a spy. His loss when he realized the truth. But- then he got all self-righteous with Robbie and the small ember of like was stamped out by bitter little Henrie dislike. Though "Screw you Black Kojak!" gave me hope that there might be warmer feelings again soon.

So who was caught in the blast? Just Coulson and Fitz? Mack missed it right? He was coming down with reinforcements when it went off?

Though it's getting better each week, I still feel like I'm watching two shows. Daisy, Robbie, Gabe and the Darkhold plot don't gel with the SHIELD rebuild/ Inhuman integration plot. Disjointed.

What was the deal with May calling Fitz out on just missing Simmons or there being a thing between them? I thought show was handling their interactions good- no significant romance drama- just two people together working through the random junk. Please show, no romance drama. I don't want to waste time on "We were on a break!" type crap.

Edited by Tarasme
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Tarasme said:

What was the deal with May calling Fitz out on just missing Simmons or there being a thing between them? I thought show was handling their interactions good- no significant romance drama- just two people together working through the random junk. Please show, no romance drama. I don't want to waste time on "We were on a break!" type crap.

I took it as May asking if Fitz's concern was business or personal.  If it was personal it was none of her business but if it was business then she would need to be concerned as well.  Fitz wasn't sure.  It was left at that.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

I enjoyed it.  I liked seeing the Ghost Rider origin and I'm glad they gave us a cameo of the original Ghost Rider.  I grew up with old school comics and remember walking to the 7-11 after school to buy comics from the revolving wire rack.  When I heard Ghost Rider was coming to this show I was excited and then quickly realised I had no idea who this person was.  So it was nice to see the origin story.

If Eli was the big bad all along, why did Robbie poof the Ghost Lady?  Sounds like she was mostly innocent, and just trying to restore her life.

Mostly innocent of one act. However she left a trail of bodies a mile long in her wake. 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Going on a bit of a break, I see.  I wonder how they'll reference Doctor Strange in their return episode.

My guess? The Darkhold is going to end up in the New York Sanctuary so Stephen can guard it. Or maybe they bring it to Hong Kong and add it to Wong's collection. 

Obviously, they won't show that so they'll just have Coulson mention it to May. "So I've heard of this strange wizard dude that's new on the scene...."

Edited by mrspidey
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Raja said:

Mostly innocent of one act. However she left a trail of bodies a mile long in her wake. 

But didn't Coulson and Fitz leave a trail of bodies back in Season 3 (Ward and that discount Magneto)? So, why isn't the Spirit going after them? 

4 hours ago, Tarasme said:

So who was caught in the blast? Just Coulson and Fitz? Mack missed it right? He was coming down with reinforcements when it went off?

Coulson and Fitz, yes, and Robbie. I think it's just the three of them.

But didn't Coulson and Fitz leave a trail of bodies back in Season 3 (Ward and that discount Magneto)? So, why isn't the Spirit going after them?

In the most basic sense, Ghost Rider only typically goes after evil people. Coulson and May have killed people yes, but they weren't doing it for fun or because they wanted to.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, KirkB said:

In the most basic sense, Ghost Rider only typically goes after evil people. Coulson and May have killed people yes, but they weren't doing it for fun or because they wanted to.

The thing is they make this big deal about how the Spirit is about Vengence. Maybe just for Robbie but I always thought that Ghost Rider goes after the bad guys but also the ones who killed as well- even if they aren't inherently bad/good. Or maybe I am confusing the Penance Stare and/or Hellfire with the Spirit?

I don't know about this particular version of Ghost Rider (and by that I mean the AoS as well as Robbie Reyes) but in the older comics, at least the Dan Ketch version, Ghost Rider only emerged when innocent blood was spilled. In the movies, with Nick Cage as Johnny Blaze, it was evil in general. As for the Penance Stare it only affected people who had done evil. If he used it on say Spider-Man, even though people he was fighting may have died, it wouldn't hurt him, but it might do damage to someone like Punisher. And while. strictly speaking, killing can be considered evil, I think maybe the intent behind it has something to do with whether or not Ghost Rider comes after you. Coulson and May usually only kill to save lives. An interesting test might be whether Ghost Rider would have gone after someone like Lash.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

She was trying to restore her life, but when Eli warned her that thousands could be killed in her attempt to turn back to normal, she said, "Not my problem."  After that, I didn't mind or care when Lucy bit it.  Any possible innocence she had was gone.  She was ultimately a villain almost as much as Eli is.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 8

Wow, references to Johnny Blaze AND Agent Carter and the craziness of season 2! I love it!

I really like all the ghost rider stuff, the show is doing much better with the supernatural stuff than I thought they would. Its been fun and interesting and I really like Robby, both as himself and as ghost rider. Its just a cool look at the mythology. I do hope the other characters can accept Ghost Rider as a supernatural entity soon. I mean, come on guys. Like 3 years ago you thought aliens were stupid...and then they invaded New York. So, yeah. Its the MCU, the flood gates are open. Coulson is certainly open to it. Hail Satan indeed. 

I did feel a little bad for Lucy as a human, and her desire to leave her ghost form, but she was too far gone. She drove people insane just because, and she didn't care at all that innocent people would die. I feel more sympathy for her now, but she was still a villain by the time Robby melted her. 

Four weeks?!?! Nooooo!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I did feel a little bad for Lucy as a human, and her desire to leave her ghost form, but she was too far gone. She drove people insane just because, and she didn't care at all that innocent people would die. I feel more sympathy for her now, but she was still a villain by the time Robby melted her.

Not to mention she drove her own husband crazy and ultimately took his own life out of her desperation to get back to normal.  That was kind of another indication that she wasn't overly sympathetic anymore.

• Love 4
On 11/1/2016 at 11:22 PM, Lantern7 said:

Distracted again. Missed the Johnny Blaze mention. Also, I'm annoyed that the show is taking most of November off. I understand next week, because nothing that happens on this show will be as surreal as real life. But four weeks? At least we won't have an immediate epilogue to Doctor Strange. How funny would it be if the first scene on the 29th is the gang gathered in an office? "Boy, that escalated quickly." "Yeah. There was fire and ghosts, and then this guy with sweet facial hair solved everything."

On 11/2/2016 at 1:01 AM, missbonnie said:

Well unfortunately for us, next Tuesday is the election, that David Blaine special is the next week and I am guessing that the week of Thanksgiving there will some special or something . I hate all of the breaks too. I thought this was a cool episode, I really , really wish we could keep the Ghost Rider. Loved the Peggy Carter tie ins. 

ABC was kinda forced into this, but Id rather have a few shorter breaks than the usual one long break.  Right now, the show is only scheduled to have aired 9 episodes by the end of Dec (6 so far and 3 more after the break).  So we'll have at 13 episodes spread over Jan-May.  

ABC's original plan was to run 8 in Jan/Feb, that Dustin Lance Black miniseries for 8 weeks, and then the last 5 Shields in May.  But that plan may be out the window now.

Finally got around to watching it and it was good episode. I wish that there wasn't such a long break though.

I liked finally getting Robbie's back story. It was nice that they didn't drag out the whole "spy thing" with his brother and that he just told him the truth. It also seems that he doesn't really have much control over when it comes out, which was really shown in this episode.

I was actually surprised about the uncle, but that now seems so obvious. I can't wait for next episode, as I believe Coulson, Fitz and Robbie where hit by that field. They maybe ghost things next episode.

• Love 1