Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Chapter 7

• Start Topic

It's one thing to see Kathy Bates as the Butcher, but seeing the real Butcher was scary as hell. She didn't even talk, just stood their looking all evil.  That's exactly how I would imagine that character.

• Love 7

This episode was so much fun! Ever since epi. 6, I I haven't been able to get enough of this show! Before the last episode, I was really hoping some of our fav. AHS alumni would be cast as The *real* Butcher, the *real* Mott, the woods witch, etc. I now realize that casting unknown actors as the real counterparts adds the amount of realism needed to make the show really creepy. I would be so distracted by my excitement if they had cast, say, Jessica Lange as The *real* Butcher, that it would take away from how utterly TERRIFYING this character really is. She really did look like she stepped out of the 16th century! And the real Mott! Holy cow, I wasn't expecting that at all! A part of me thinks he was just trying to scare them out of his tunnel, but wow, it was creepy cool!

I don't scare easily. I tune into this show for the storytelling. As much as I love this show, of all the seasons, I had yet to feel frightened or unsettled, nor have I ever jumped during the "scary" parts........until *the real* Polks showed up. I must agree with the poster who called those scenes nightmare fuel. Something about watching them force Lee to oil & prep her own leg for cooking was just....ugh!??? It felt so real & hopeless & made me feel a little sick inside...and that was before the forced cannibalism. BLECH! The only other time I've ever felt that unsettled from a movie/show, was watching The Human Centipede (and the sequel).  I almost think I would rather be in that haunted house of horrors than spend any given time with the Polk family. I did get a chuckle put of Audrey asking for a line of her cocaine, saying it was all she had left. lol 

One thing I had missed in the first 5 episodes of this season was the humor, save for Cricket's short stint of awesomeness. I love AHS best when it blends horror with humor & a bit of camp. That's why I think this diversion is so much fun. Kathy Bates is such a brilliant actress & plays crazy so well!! Best quotes of the night belong to her: "I shall wear thy scalp as an animal pelt" and her famous last words, "Sorry, I just wanted to be on TV." Hilarious!??? I hope by some miracle, we haven't seen the last of her. 

I have a feeling this is still only the 2nd layer of what is about to unfold in the coming episodes. This new diversion is following the usual "found footage" trope with people filming themselves while literally running for their lives. It could also explain why Audrey's English accent is sooo awful. She's an American actress playing an American actress playing an English actress. Oh, the many layers! ? Nothing is as it seems. This season is fast becoming one of my favorites! 

Edited by Katsa Kein
  • Love 2

This episode was a great blend of humor, horror and all the crunchy center in-between.

I wonder when we will start seeing the newly dead come back as ghosts?  That would add a whole 'nuther level to this rollercoaster ride. Will Agnes be allowed to hang out with the real Butcher's posse? What about Sydney? I bet he'll make one pissed off ghost. He'd probably still try to direct. Will Rory haunt Aundrey? Or hang out with the real Mott?  Will Matt keep boinking the forest witch for all eternity, or will she "cure" him of his head bashing? And will he haunt the hell out of Shelby and Dominick? Or get  bloody revenge on one or both (him for the adultery, her for the murder)?

• Love 4

We did see Mason's ghost following Lee down the hallway, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that others might manifest before too long.

Just wanted to add, the last two episodes are the hottest I've ever seen Cheyenne Jackson look.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 2

Has anyone seen the movie The Witch? Its a pretty recent movie, about a Puritan family in 1630s New England. Its actually has a lot of similar elements to this season, with the colonists, the family alone in the woods, and even a creepy woods witch. The characters even have similar weird, Scottish/English accents, that are actually apparently rather historically correct, and a character named Tomasyn!

Its a really interesting movie, and while its not really "scary" in a horror movie way, its more of a creepy atmosphere, and a feeling of dread, plus with lots of interesting character stuff. I would recommend it, especially to people who are enjoying the Roanoke flashbacks. 

• Love 6

(And, to be fair, she gets credit for three roles because -- legit split personality playing a character

After this episode, it's not just her personality that's "split."

• Love 9
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Has anyone seen the movie The Witch? Its a pretty recent movie, about a Puritan family in 1630s New England. Its actually has a lot of similar elements to this season, with the colonists, the family alone in the woods, and even a creepy woods witch. The characters even have similar weird, Scottish/English accents, that are actually apparently rather historically correct, and a character named Tomasyn!

Its a really interesting movie, and while its not really "scary" in a horror movie way, its more of a creepy atmosphere, and a feeling of dread, plus with lots of interesting character stuff. I would recommend it, especially to people who are enjoying the Roanoke flashbacks. 

Such a good movie, and I can see why you'd think of it in relation to this even though they aren't really all that similar.

• Love 3

Speaking of Flora (someone mentioned her upthread) -- did we see her whereabouts in this episode?  Was anyone concerned for her?  Did she even return in the "cast"?  (Did she even have a doppelgänger?)  I can't remember.

1 hour ago, Captanne said:

Speaking of Flora (someone mentioned her upthread) -- did we see her whereabouts in this episode?  Was anyone concerned for her?  Did she even return in the "cast"?  (Did she even have a doppelgänger?)  I can't remember.

She didn't return, nor did her doppelganger. Presumably, she's with the Grandmother who wants custody of her...I can't remember if that's Lee or Mason's mom.

They explained the pig man a few episodes ago--sorry, don't recall which episode. But The Butcher killed someone by putting a dead pig's head on a man and then burning him alive on a spit like a roasted pig.

That . . . doesn't really explain Pig Man, though. I mean, I get that the Butcher put a pig's head on someone and then roasted him alive, but I don't get why that person keeps showing up to kill people when he himself was one of the Butcher's victims, or why he's still wearing a pig's head. There's no logic behind it, it's just meant to be a scary visual.

The Butcher has a motive, she thinks that land belongs to her. What's Pig Man's motive? Why appear in that producer's car and kill her, for example? What's his beef with her, or anyone else?

By the same token they never explained why it rained teeth. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I've seen it, and I think I said at the time, that that's what I would picture AHS as being, when it put out its promos (at least for "Coven"). 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

She didn't return, nor did her doppelganger. Presumably, she's with the Grandmother who wants custody of her...I can't remember if that's Lee or Mason's mom.

It was Mason's mom. And she clearly deserves custody over anyone who, as a single parent, would choose to go back to that house during the Blood Moon, just to try to redeem herself on a reality show.

• Love 7

And she clearly deserves custody over anyone who, as a single parent, would choose to go back to that house during the Blood Moon, just to try to redeem herself on a reality show.

I think they had said she was already in danger of losing custody because everyone thought she had murdered Mason due to the show.  She may have felt she had no choice but to go back, if it was going to save her from losing Flora. 

It's one thing to see Kathy Bates as the Butcher, but seeing the real Butcher was scary as hell. She didn't even talk, just stood their looking all evil.  That's exactly how I would imagine that character.

I appreciated the real Butcher's "no drama" approach to the situation. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That . . . doesn't really explain Pig Man, though. I mean, I get that the Butcher put a pig's head on someone and then roasted him alive, but I don't get why that person keeps showing up to kill people when he himself was one of the Butcher's victims, or why he's still wearing a pig's head. There's no logic behind it, it's just meant to be a scary visual.

The Butcher has a motive, she thinks that land belongs to her. What's Pig Man's motive? Why appear in that producer's car and kill her, for example? What's his beef with her, or anyone else?

By the same token they never explained why it rained teeth. 

Does the pissed off ghost of a man that was burned alive while wearing a pig head really need logical motivation?  Could it just be the horror and confusion he felt at the moment of his death?  Do ghosts even adhere to logic?

• Love 2
On 10/27/2016 at 5:16 PM, tennisgurl said:

I am really still not sure how I feel about all this episode. The characterization is still all over the place, but this episode actually seemed scary, so that was a nice change.

Holy crap, Shelby is wacko! I am positive that the Witch put some weird magic sex whammy on Matt, so its hardly his fault he was having creepy sex with demon witch, which makes Shelby bashing his head in seem even crazier. Lady needs to do some new yoga poses or something.

I love how they made all the "real" ghosts and creatures WAY creepier in "real life" than they were in the show. I thought they were creepy before, but they seem way more inhuman and otherworldly in the real world. I have no idea where this season is going, and I like that feeling. I cant believe we still have three episodes!  

When Shelby found Matt with the sex witch during the re enactment she was fine. Just took him by the hand and got him out of there. Understanding that he was in a trance but this time she slaughters him?

2 hours ago, Lion18 said:

When Shelby found Matt with the sex witch during the re enactment she was fine. Just took him by the hand and got him out of there. Understanding that he was in a trance but this time she slaughters him?

Actually she ran off first and called the police on Lee, it was only after she talked to him and he looked scared and confused. But she was screaming at him at first. The second time he hooked up with the witch she didn't catch him as she was in the house and then she screamed for him and it broke him out of the trance.

• Love 1

Well, but she didn't. She ran screaming away and called the cops on lee and was outraged and freaked out. Only when she finally realized that Matt didn't know what had happened did she calm down. This time, tho Matt apparently was entranced, he told her that he was in LOVE with the witch and that's why he came back. That's when she went batshit. Plus, she'd been attacked by Agnes earlier. I also think the house or SOMETHING is literally posesssing all of them. They're under its influence and unable to really act the way they might normally. 

Oops, WhosThatGirl beat me to it. 

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I think they had said she was already in danger of losing custody because everyone thought she had murdered Mason due to the show.  She may have felt she had no choice but to go back, if it was going to save her from losing Flora. 

But what does she think her camera footage will do? Is it supposed to convince the judge deciding the custody dispute that ghosts exist, and thus they must be the ones who killed Mason? Wouldn't that make the judge question her sanity for returning? Or does she think her footage of her behavior in the house will show the world that she's sane?

I think the writers wanted to allude to real-life instances where people exposed injustices by taking footage with their cell phones - without really thinking through whether the character's motivations make much sense.

But what does she think her camera footage will do? Is it supposed to convince the judge deciding the custody dispute that ghosts exist, and thus they must be the ones who killed Mason? Wouldn't that make the judge question her sanity for returning? Or does she think her footage of her behavior in the house will show the world that she's sane?

I think her footage is intended to show the world what happened at the house was real, and she wasn't responsible for killing Mason.  I presume she thinks her custody dispute will go away, if it is premised on the idea that she's an unfit parent because she murdered her ex-husband.  

Super disappointed that Sidney died so fast. I was really looking forward to him realizing the ghosts were real and getting the gleeful excitement wiped off his face as he's forced into the nightmare with the rest of them. With the others venting their fury at him and treating him like crap even as they run around trying to survive. Filming his every scream of terror with their phones, saying things like, "Make sure to scream toward the camera, Sidney. The ratings!" I wanted him to be thoroughly traumatized by the mess he made before he met his grizzly end.

But he dies super fast, realizes nothing, and it's not even a ghost that kills him. Lame. The others never got to kick his ass, either. What a hilarious coming-together moment it would have been.

• Love 6

I want to see Rory come back as a ghost and kick some ass *but then its AHS so chances are he might not come back as Casper, but more hey I died well before I intended & now I'm a bit pissed*  Either way I'm happy *Hey I'm an Evan fan lol*

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:03 PM, Cowgirl said:

I wonder if they are savoring the irony that the bad crazy lady from Misery (Which I am too wussy to have ever watched) gets dispatched here with a cleaver herself, right down the middle of her skull, even more brutally than the evildoing in Misery.  

You can definitely watch Misery, its a fantastic movie, one that I'm glad I got to see when it was released in the theaters. Just know that you look away and mute the tv for a couple of minutes when you see a block of wood being placed between somebody's feet. Kathy Bates was so freakin' fantastic in it and is one of my favorite actors ever.

This season is without question one of the best. Its incredibly suspenseful, fast paced and you really have no idea what is coming next. I was seriously unnerved by the real life Polk family. Between this and Deliverance, hillbillies get a bad rap.

Edited by Lady Iris
edited to add on
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, Katsa Kein said:

It could also explain why Audrey's English accent is sooo awful. She's an American actress playing an American actress playing an English actress. 

Well if this didn't remind me of Sgt. Lincoln Osiris!

LO.png

Everyone running through the forest from deadly supernatural danger with smartphones held high and recording reminded me of the trailer from Zoolander 2 where Bieber stopped in the midst of being murdered to pose for one last selfie for his fans.

• Love 1