Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Chapter Forty-Six

When Rafael finally admits that he is over Jane, their co-parenting style is tested when they argue over what the best preschool is for Mateo. Xo is paranoid about Alba finding out her secret and what it will do to their relationship. Rogelio is ready to cross over to American TV, especially after he learns his nemesis is making the transition. Meanwhile, Anezka is trying to find new dirt on Rafael when she begins an unexpected romance.

Promo:

Hey, they finally told us what Alba does for a living!

When Mateo was accused of biting that other kid, for a second I thought they were going for the "rich people who go to this school are racist" angle, since the other kid nearby was white, but it turns out that the mother had good reason not to suspect him (and, of course, Mateo actually did it).  Good swerve, show.  But, parents have to volunteer time at a daycare?  Isn't that kind of contrary to the whole purpose of putting your children in daycare?

The delighted look on Yael Grobglas' face in the photo with the two rabbits was hilarious.  The whole plot with Anezka has been unexpectedly fun thus far, particularly Petra's look of horror at seeing her making out with Scott.

I thought they handled the whole issue with Xo and Alba well, particularly I was kind of concerned this was going to be a "Alba gives in and approves of Xo's choice" moment, which I wouldn't have cared for (I'm pro-choice, but people are entitled to their opinions).

• Love 7

Finally, an unplanned pregnancy handled in an adult manner, without histrionics, but with consequences, resolved a bit too neatly (and quickly) for my taste. But, what the hell; let's put this one in the win column. 

The was a great episode all the way around. Loved seeing Michael's emotional reaction, a perfect illustration of how a tearful scene should work; not telegraphed from a mile away, but rather sneaking up on viewers..

And, I may have missed this, but with Petra frozen in the hospital, who's taking care of the twins? Was this addressed last week? Or is it a rare slip up by the writers?

• Love 9

That makes sense. But with Rafael so involved in decisions re Mateo, it would be nice if he at least acknowledged his daughters, as well. And with Anezka inpersonating Petra, want to see how she's dealing with "motherhood."

Edited by wonderwoman
clarity.
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

it would be nice if he at least acknowledged his daughters

There was a throw away line about how Rafael was supposed to be with the twins when he walked into Petra's suite at the end. I think he said they were with the babysitter.

I really, really enjoyed every bit of that episode. I love how well Michael fits in with the Villanueva family dynamic without overpowering it. There were plenty of scenes where the focus was on the women (as it should be), but he also didn't disappear completely. And he and Rogelio continue to be utterly golden. The way Rogelio casually flung Michael's leg to the other side of the hospital bed when he sat down was hilarious Rogelio perfection.

And I'm loving Rafael's new dynamic! I feel like he's way more relaxed now and I like Justin Baldoni's performance much more when he's not tied up in the pining for Jane/dealing with drug lords plot lines. And even though Jane and Michael are married, the writers did a good job of giving him screentime and a meaningful plot. I don't think there's any show that's better at juggling their large central and supporting cast than this one.

40 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

Loved seeing Michael's emotional reaction, a perfect illustration of how a tearful scene should work; not telegraphed from a mile away, but rather sneaking up on viewers..

I liked that too. I didn't even realize until right then that we hadn't seen any emotional fallout from Michael. The writers did a great job of distracting by showing lots of Michael's physical recovery/infirmity and focusing on Jane's emotional reaction, so the moment where we get to see him lose it a bit had much more impact. Plus Brett Dier's eyes get really blue when he fake cries and that's nice.

And their excitement over being given the go ahead to have sex was also wonderfully done. Not quite as funny as the exchange with the physical therapist ("You can barely move!" "She can!" "Sexy Jane face") but still really amusing - especially Jane running the wrong way down the hallway.

Edited by Gin and Tonic
  • Love 9

Loved that they actually went through with the abortion and had it off screen.

I like "over Jane" Rafael. He's a lot more enjoyable.

Michael's recovery was done really well, spending his time helping Rog, Xo and bringing Puerto Rico to the room. He's so great.

• Love 3

I am very happy that Xo stuck to her choice, consequences be damned. It was hard to watch Xo and Alba clash once again, especially over such a sensitive issue, but it totally makes sense for both characters, and even them making up feels a little unfinished. I have no doubt that Alba will, at some point, throw this back in Xo's face. Not intentionally, but it'll definitely come up.

Moved On Rafael! Yes! I feel like I can go back to enjoy Jane/Rafael scenes without the panic that the love triangle will reform! Plus, Justin Baldoni was great this episode. I'm glad him and Jane can be friends and co-parents together.

I really was taken aback by Michael getting his emotional reaction. I wasn't sure if they were going to, but I'm so glad they did, even if it was a very short scene. Michael was just so strong and so supportive in this episode, even after six'ish weeks, so I'm so happy they gave him his own breakdown moment. Plus, he just fits in to the Villanueva family so well. 

Anezka is now sleeping with Scott. Of course she is. I enjoyed her character a bit more this episode. Yael just looks like she's having a blast, which is nice. I feel so bad for Petra, who had to watch her twin make out with Scott as her. I'm hoping that Petra is woken up soon. Who knows; maybe Anezka's romance with Scott will have her slip up and forget to give Petra a shot. 

This show does keep getting better and better. I don't know how the ratings are compared to the previous seasons, but I like it. 

• Love 2

Alba's wallpaper was beyond horrible.  I loved the last scene with the three women tearing it off the wall.  Back in the 1080's my mother hired a designer who talked her into putting up this horrible multi colored 4 inch squares design wallpaper.   The night the painters put it up, my mother was beside herself and could not stop crying.  She called her two best friends over and the three of us tried to comfort her, but it was no use.  We spent the evening tearing the wallpaper off.  It was the first adult bonding experience my mother and I had.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SeanC said:

But, parents have to volunteer time at a daycare?  Isn't that kind of contrary to the whole purpose of putting your children in daycare?

A former boss of mine had her son in one of those places a few years ago. The volunteering requirement was one morning every two weeks, and due to the nature of our work she was able to arrange her schedule around it, but I agree that it sucks for parents whose jobs don't allow flex time.

I noticed last season that Mateo was almost always snacking on the crackers from the self-serve cup when he was on screen, and I assumed it was to keep the toddler actor(s) happy/quiet, but young children are supposed to have scheduled meal and snack times and not graze in between, so I was glad to see Jane tell him he couldn't have any more crackers.

I really liked this episode, but I too found it jarring how little attention Rafael pays his daughters compared to Mateo. It's a good thing he's rich enough for round the clock nannies, because otherwise those girls would be completely neglected.

So Jane and Rafael put Mateo in the granola pre-school just because it tolerates biting, quality of education be damned? I guess academics aren't the top priority at that age, but still.

• Love 1

I can now enjoy this show without worrying that Michael is going to die like most of last season and last week. I just love this show, from Michael fitting in so well with the family to Raf finally moving on from Jane. Rogelio continues to be golden with his "PPA" and other hilarious moments. 

The only thing that still annoys me is Jane being a neurotic mom, but she has gotten a little better. I'm glad she got out in her place with Mateo biting that kid.

• Love 2

Everwood did an abortion story, but that was a long time ago. We were due for another one. Maybe we can get two every decade if we're lucky.

Loving the show and feel they've really come back refreshed this season. Some of the played out stories are gone, some of the ones that were dragging have been made better, and I am having a really good time watching.

Imagining Michael gabbing in bed with Xo while Jane was out is a fun pastime.

I think the attitude that biting is not the parents' fault, he'll grow out of it, and focus on supporting the victim was refreshing to Jane and Rafael, because they are both used to a lot of judgment in their lives. Also, I was glad they showed that the school does have some boundaries, as when the teacher cut off the reconciliation talk as soon as Jane mentioned her sex life. Also, Jane is really loosening up-- she let go of Mateo's schedule, she gave him crackers against her better judgment because she needed him to shut up, and I like that she's able to do that now. Likewise, Rafael stepped up and tried to do some research by calling the pediatrician. How long can all this happiness last, I wonder?

• Love 5

ITA that this show juggles having a large cast really well and gives everyone time to shine. It was very realistic to have Michael's emotional reaction come out of the blue like that. I think that he has spent most of his time and energy focused on (1) recovering physically so he could get out of the hospital and (2) making sure that Jane is okay because she was obviously still upset by what happened, so it makes sense that he hadn't really processed the fact that he almost died until that moment.

I am enjoying Not in Love Rafael so much more. Finally pleasing Jane isn't his number one priority which makes him so much less of a doormat character. Now the real coparenting can begin. I also like that Rafael was annoyed that the first school suggested a donation would make the biting incident go away. I wouldn't want my kid going to a school with that kind of administration. On top of that, the admin is different from the parents. Rafael can donate all of his money but that won't make the other kid's mom like Jane (or Mateo) any better.

I am SO glad that the show had Xo go through with the abortion. Too often pregnant tv characters either have an unwanted baby or conveniently miscarry to avoid the controversy of dealing with abortion. Xo was very clear that she doesn't want to have any more kids so I am glad they didn't have her decide to have Esteban's baby. I also hate when tv shows think it's hilariously wacky for a mom and her daughter to have kids who are around the same age. Thank goodness they decided against that cliche.

I loved Michael, Jane, and Xo all sitting on the bed together plotting and analyzing. I think if they had shown some flashbacks like that in S1, we would have understood even more why Xo was so Team Michael (and therefore so anti-Rafael). He fits in so well with their family. But I also really appreciated when Jane told Rafael that he is family too. I remember the first time that one of Mr. EB's relatives said that to me. They were always very welcoming and friendly from the first time I met them, but to hear one of them actually say that to me meant a lot.

The picture of Anezka holding up two rabbits was hilarious. The absolute glee on her face cracked me up.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, twoods said:

Rogelio continues to be golden with his "PPA" and other hilarious moments. 

Literally golden! I forgot how stupid funny I found his suit, tie, and pocket square during the PSA. All white with a bright yellow tie and handkerchief. About as subtle as the cherry wallpaper Thog mentioned! 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Well, I can now add Jane the Virgin to the list of TV shows that I've seen handle abortion in a mature, responsible way.  The only other show on that list is Friday Night Lights.

Spoiler

BoJack Horseman

did one this season, too.  (If you haven't watched it, it's actually a lot more serious than you might think from the premise.  But, also humorous.)

• Love 1
15 hours ago, chocolatine said:

So Jane and Rafael put Mateo in the granola pre-school just because it tolerates biting, quality of education be damned? I guess academics aren't the top priority at that age, but still.

Pre-school is really about giving children a place to learn to socialize with others their age, rather than anything academic. Though I can't say crunchy is to my taste, the place didn't tolerate biting as much as have a fairly decent approach to stopping the behavior. I'd have taken it, hands down, over the expensive place if that were my only option.

As for volunteer time, I had to do my bit at my kids' pre-school (they're grown now, so it's been awhile) I thought that was because a preschool where the parents volunteered a certain number of hours was cheaper. Maybe it wasn't. I remember having to cram all my obligated hours into a short period of time because I was going to deliver my second kid within a few months of the start of the school year. Hated that. Don't really care for kids in a crowd and all their germy little hands.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, chocolatine said:

A former boss of mine had her son in one of those places a few years ago. The volunteering requirement was one morning every two weeks, and due to the nature of our work she was able to arrange her schedule around it, but I agree that it sucks for parents whose jobs don't allow flex time.

I noticed last season that Mateo was almost always snacking on the crackers from the self-serve cup when he was on screen, and I assumed it was to keep the toddler actor(s) happy/quiet, but young children are supposed to have scheduled meal and snack times and not graze in between, so I was glad to see Jane tell him he couldn't have any more crackers.

I really liked this episode, but I too found it jarring how little attention Rafael pays his daughters compared to Mateo. It's a good thing he's rich enough for round the clock nannies, because otherwise those girls would be completely neglected.

I also know pre-schools that will let parents do volunteer hours at home, if their work schedules won't accommodate them coming into the class. Teachers always need help prepping classroom materials. It's normally grunt work, like cutting out materials for a craft or putting together bags of things. As a teacher, though, I always love the parents who are willing to prep materials at home. That's possibly the biggest help of all.

Even though the pre-school was depicted as super hippie dippy, I love that they were focusing on soft skills. Kids are going to have plenty of time to learn their ABCs in school. Any sort of exposure to it will give the kids a leg up. They don't need to fully master it when they're 2 or 3. But teaching kids things like empathy, recognizing your feelings, and conflict resolution are so valuable. Most schools don't have those things in their curriculum because they're not on standardized tests. That's how I have a class full of fifth and sixth graders who can't do anything other than hit each other when they get mad. 

• Love 17

Loved this episode for all the reasons everyone has said: Michael fitting into the family, Rafael getting over Jane and coparenting, dealing with the abortion without making it a massive issue et al.

Also, JustaPerson, I kind of thought Scott was gay too.

Totally agreed with all of your comment, ElectricBoogaloo. Just loving Michael more and more, he's so supportive and really gets the whole family. I'm so glad we're (apparently) free from the love triangle this season. It's my most hated TV trope because it really does no one any favours. It's so much better to watch Jane and her relationship with Michael being separate from her relationship with Rafael, which is now much more interesting to me.

I do love seeing Rogelio inserting himself into important historical moments too, that is hilarious stuff! The Statue of Liberty poem judging panel was so funny.

• Love 2

So many things to love in this episode:

The horrible wallpaper and everyone's reactions to it.

#anezkatized

The Statue of Liberty poem judging. I love all the completely warped versions of historical events and I hope he sticks with this show for a LONG time.

Rogelio in his olde-tymey apparel.

Rafael being funny and relaxed and saying what he really thinks instead of trying to please Jane and pining over her.

Magda's giant clunky black market prison cell phone.

Anezka catching two rabbits.

Michael lying in a hospital bed recovering from a wedding-night gunshot wound by an assassin who is still on the loose and very seriously listening to Rogelio's super tragic stardom woes and giving him sage advice.

Xo, Jane, and Michael's convo on the bed.

The cruise ship honeymoon in the bedroom, and that Michael made a honeymoon playlist.

Jane and Rafael being forced to reconcile with a preschool audience and coaching.

I loved it all.

I like that secrets and shenanigans don't get dragged out to an absurd degree like they would on some shows. Like Xo keeping the abortion secret from Alba. She fretted about it for awhile, but in the end she told her instead of going to wacky extremes to keep it hidden. Things come out and they move along. For that reason I don't think Petra will be Petrafied for much longer. Poor woman; people think she's carrying on with SCOTT! Of all nasty people! I think Scott is an opportunist above all and would have sex with anyone if it would get him something. I want to know what dirt he has on Rafael. What could there be that we don't already know about?

• Love 5

How does this show keep going strong? Its really impressive how many characters they balance and how many plots they burn through, and still keep the show fun and smart and interesting. 

Michael fits in so well with the Villanuevan family, I can really see why Xo always liked him with Jane so much, and why it was always kind of awkward with Rafael. Michael clearly works well with them, plus with his BFF Rogelio. 

Man, I never knew how much I needed to hear Rogelio's very questionable American accent! He sounded like a sort of cross between a surfer dude and a Brooklyn gangster from the 20s. It was great. And I continue to want to watch more of Rogelio's show, and how he inserts himself into random parts of history. Its like an even better version of Timeless!

Michael getting his moment to break down worked really well, and it makes sense that he would have a while before it all caught up with him. He had to work on his physical recovery, and be supportive to Jane, and then it hit him. Jane and Michael are just so great together, I love that I can watch them be adorable now without the looming specter of death over Michael! 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Its like an even better version of Timeless!

The CW is really killing it with this show and Crazy Ex Girlfriend-- I never would have thought I'd be going to The CW for quality writing and feminism. So much love....

• Love 5
On October 26, 2016 at 9:09 PM, tennisgurl said:

Michael fits in so well with the Villanuevan family, I can really see why Xo always liked him with Jane so much, and why it was always kind of awkward with Rafael. Michael clearly works well with them, plus with his BFF Rogelio. 

A majority of the reason why micheal "fit in" so well with them is because he let them make all the shots/decisions. That's why it was awkward when Rafael came along. He had the NERVE to voice his opinion or have a differing one than Jane. How DARE he?!?! Didn't he know the Villanueva woman are always right. Such a shame. He never stood a chance.